10 hours ago, Tofu said:
12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Park Sung Hoon, is he someone Oppa?

I think he's @abs-oluteM's?? Maybe...

Edited by Tofu (see edit history)

Yes @mademoiselle @Tofu   I love him.... though for reasons I will not disclose , I didn't watch his last drama. I will watch this . I did watch S1 for Wi Ha Joon. I am surprised WHJ is back. I thought he died in S1 right? 

@Chocolate I think we can use this thread to continue for S2...do you mind updating the first post's headings? Thanks :duckhearts:

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

10 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM Maybe it was a show between his brother and him. Or the brother did shoot him and he survived the fall in the sea, though only Superman could survive such fall with Kryptonite in him (ref: Superman Returns). LOL

But WHJ's story arc is what draws me the most so I'm glad he'll be back.

I had to laugh with regards to your Superman reference.

I too loved WHJ's arc . I know he was somewhat the supporting cast in S1 but I was desperately wishing more screen time for him. I am happy he's back. 

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Oh god, the female doll is no more but we will get her boyfriend! 🥶🤣 Did you know she had a name - Young Hee? Her boyfriend is Cheol Su lol.

Will there be a Wednesday Season 2? Watch Video Announcement - Netflix Tudum

It’s a Green Light for ‘Squid Game’ Season 2

“We’re focusing on how to make it even more joyful to the global audience.”

By Phillipe ThaoJune 13, 2022

Stop what you’re doing right now and freeze — Squid Game Season 2 is official (and it’s about to slap even harder). After premiering last fall, the South Korean series took the world by storm. The show shattered Netflix streaming records, collected many awards and catapulted its cast into global stardom. In a letter written to the show’s fans, writer and director Hwang Dong-hyuk says, “It took 12 years to bring the first season of Squid Game to life last year. But it took 12 days for Squid Game to become the most popular Netflix series ever.”

xi5xmeR.jpg

Spoiler

In the dystopian K-drama, citizens gamble away their lives in order to win a life-changing cash prize. Through a lineup of terrifying and brutal childhood games, players are fatally eliminated until there’s one left standing. Fans might have to wait a bit longer before returning to the games, however. “We are working on the script right now and making the form of the story,” executive producer Kim Ji-yeon tells Tudum. “But there’s definitely a lot of pressure on how to make [Season 2] even better. I know that a lot of the different fans and audiences have enjoyed the series very much, but really we’re focusing on how to make it even more joyful to the global audience.” 

Although the second season is still in its early stages, Hwang confirms that there will be some familiar faces returning next season. Last year’s winner Gi-hun will be back with the Front Man, in addition to a brand-new character. Everyone’s favorite killer doll Young-hee is officially off the market and viewers will be introduced to her boyfriend Cheol-su. Maybe we’ll get a romantic duet from the couple right before they give you that deadly look. Will we see more of The Salesman slapping people in the face? “The man in the suit with ddakji might be back,” Hwang teases. It’s time to cue up the Pink Soldiers’ theme song because the game isn’t over yet.

Source: https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/squid-game-season-2-confirmed

3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@Chocolate I think we can use this thread to continue for S2...do you mind updating the first post's headings? Thanks 

Done.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Korea Herald - 링크드인 - 코리아헤럴드 | LinkedIn

Netflix announces new cast for ‘Squid Game 2’

Shooting for breakout hit begins in the second half of this year

By Kim Da-sol | Jun 18, 2023

zToouSZ.jpg

(From left clockwise) Actors Yim Si-wan, Kang Ha-neul, Yang Dong-geun and Park Sung-hoon are confirmed as new cast for “Squid Game 2.” (Netflix)

Netflix Korea on Sunday announced the new cast for the second season of the sensational series “Squid Game.”

Joining the original cast will be actors Yim Si-wan, Kang Ha-neul, Park Sung-hoon and Yang Dong-geun.

Yim most recently starred in the Netflix thriller flick “Unlocked,” while Park played a villain in Netflix’s “The Glory.” Kang was the lead actor in hit TV drama “When the Camellia Blooms” (2019) and Yang appeared in Netflix action flick “Yaksha: Ruthless Operations” (2022).

Netflix Korea introduced the new faces during Tudum, a global fan event that was held in Sao Paulo, Saturday local time, without revealing the roles they will play.

Actor Lee Jung-jae will continue to play a lead role in the sequel, the streaming platform said, along with actors Lee Byung-hun who starred as the frontman and Wi Ha-joon, a police officer who goes undercover in the deadly games to find his missing brother. Gong Yoo, who recruited the participants for the survival game, will return as well.

With “Squid Game,” Lee became the first Korean actor to win an Emmy for lead actor in a drama series for the award's 74th edition last year.

Shooting for the second season will begin during the second half of this year, Netflix Korea said.

Spoiler

In 2021, director Hwang Dong-hyuk's dystopian take on children's games gained popularity immediately after its release, reaching 111 million fans globally as Netflix’s biggest series launch. It also became the most watched show on Netflix with 1.6 billion hours.

After the series’ stunning success, Netflix has said it would double down on Korean content, pouring $2.5 billion over the next four years. Between 2015 and 2020, Netflix’s investment in K-content amounted to some $700 million, producing about 80 Korean films and series.

The US streaming giant’s co-CEO, Ted Sarandos, will make a two-day visit to Seoul this week.

Sarandos will meet with journalists, industry insiders and aspiring content experts, a Netflix official told The Korea Herald. The Seoul visit is not part of any other business trip nor is he making stops at other neighboring countries, he added.

Source: https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230618000076

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Party! 1

3 seasons planned.

Director won't be doing it alone - there will be other writers and directors.

Logo

Squid Game Season 2: Everything We Know

The new K-drama takes a classic battle royale tale and turns it on its head. And there's more coming.

BY LAUREN PUCKETT-POPE AND ERICA GONZALES

PUBLISHED: JUN 18, 2023

If he were to move forward with another season, however, he says he'd eschew his typical solo approach and bring in help. “If I were to do it, I would certainly not do it alone,” Hwang told Variety. “I’d consider using a writers’ room and would want multiple experienced directors.”

What would a second season be about?

Season 2's plot would likely focus on Gi-hun's quest to end the Game, much like Katniss Everdeen's saga centered around her revolutionary efforts to stop the Hunger Games and restore equity to the districts. What remains unclear is if this noble pursuit would land Gi-hun himself back in the arena, or if Squid Game would pull a Westworld and draw its characters out of the simulation and into the larger dystopian reality. All we know from Hwang for sure is that Gi-hun will return—we just don't know how.

Spoiler

For his part, Hwang has plenty of ideas. “It’s true that season one ended in an open-ended way, but I actually thought that this could be good closure for the whole story, too,” he told The Hollywood Reporter in October 2021. “...But there are some other stories in the series that have not been addressed. For example, the story of the police officer and the story of his brother, The Front Man. So if I end up creating season two, I’d like to explore that storyline—what is going on between those two brothers? I could also go into the story of that recruiter in the suit who plays the game of ddakji with Gi-hun and gives him the card in the first episode. And, of course, we could go with Gi-hun’s story as he turns back, and explore more about how he’s going to navigate through his reckoning with the people who are designing the games. So, I don’t know yet, but I’ll just say there are a lot of possibilities out there for season two storylines.”

He later added that, despite the enormous pressure from fans begging for a second chapter, he's choosing to see the adoration as a source of inspiration. “Because of all that pressure, I haven’t decided yet whether or not I should do another season,” he said. “But if you look at it in a positive way, because so many people loved season one and are expecting good things for season two, there are people everywhere in the world offering their opinions about where the show should go. I could actually pull ideas from fans all around the world to create the next season.”

However, Hwang doesn't want to only let fans' expectations dictate the show. “I don’t want to make season two as a response to those reactions,” he told THR in August. “The philosophies I put in season one all naturally extend to season two. Instead of trying to meet the expectations of viewers, I just thought about the last moment when Gi-hun turned away from boarding the plane, and I thought about what he will do next. There will naturally be a flow of events that will lead all the way to the end of the season. I can’t share any details yet, but you know that Seong Gi-hun has become a totally new person by the end of season one, so season two is going to be about what that new Gi-hun is going to do and how things will unfold with this new kind of character.”

How many seasons will there be in total?

In a recent interview with the Korea Times, Hwang revealed he was envisioning an even longer story arc for Squid Game. “I’m in talks with Netflix over season 2 as well as season 3,” he said. “We will come to a conclusion any time soon.”

Source: https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a37679755/squid-game-season-2-release-date-news-cast-trailer/

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Netflix Cryptically Responds To Netizens' Protest Regarding Lack of Female Cast in 'Squid Game 2'

Netflix has officially announced there will be an additional lineup announcement for Season 2 of 'Squid Game'.

On June 19th, an official from Netflix said in an interview with a Korean media outlet, "We still can't announce yet whether a female cast will appear in 'Squid Game' Season 2." However, the official added, "Additional lineup announcement will be released soon."

Earlier on the previous day (18th), Netflix released a lineup video for Season 2 of the hit series. Notably, in addition to the appearance of actors from Season 1 such as Lee Jungjae, Lee Byunghun, Wi Hajoon, and Gong Yoo, newly added actors such as Im Siwan, Kang Haneul, and Park Sunghoon and Yang Donggeun were officially announced for the first time.

20230620_051210_242_nt%20ig.webp

Image Source: Instagram '@netflixkr'

However, some domestic and foreign fans can't help but ask Netflix one important question: where are the female cast members? Even in Season 1, a number of female cast members including Jung Hoyeon, Kim Jooryeong, and Lee Yoomi showcased their phenomenal presence in the drama and proved themselves to be absolutely necessary characters in the series. While some Netizens said, "There is no way there's no female cast, additional casting is likely to come out soon," others have shown their confusion as no female actress has been named in the lineup so far.

Source: https://gstarlive.com/news/31410

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Synopsis:

8 people in need of money are invited to appear on the reality-variety show Money Game. The 8 people are to stay at the studio that consists of nothing but concrete walls. If they are able to hang in there for 100 days, they can divide the winning prize of 44.8 billion won equally. But, everything they spend on, including necessities like food, water, and electricity, costs 1,000 times more than normal prices and is deducted from the winning prize.

Is this a drama or reality show?

100 days without seeing sunlight is quite difficult, even without games.

And they have to live like caveman to not eat into the prize money!

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
13 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Synopsis:

8 people in need of money are invited to appear on the reality-variety show Money Game. The 8 people are to stay at the studio that consists of nothing but concrete walls. If they are able to hang in there for 100 days, they can divide the winning prize of 44.8 billion won equally. But, everything they spend on, including necessities like food, water, and electricity, costs 1,000 times more than normal prices and is deducted from the winning prize.

Is this a drama or reality show?

100 days without seeing sunlight is quite difficult, even without games.

And they have to live like caveman to not eat into the prize money!

Drama.

Notes

1. Based on Bae Jin-Soo’s webcomics "Money Game" (published from November 23, 2018 to January 10, 2020 via Naver) and "Pi Game" (published from July 5, 2020 to November 7, 2021 via Naver).
  2. IU was first cast to play lead female role, but, prior to filming, had to drop out due to scheduling issues. Chun Woo-Hee was then cast to play the lead female role.
  3. Filming beings mid-June, 2022.
  4. Early working title was "Money Game".
  • Insightful 1
15 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Idk why but I'm not interested in this drama type, where you need to stay alive by playing game and get some money in the end. Despite all the hype of Squid Game, I never had interest to pick it. And yeah I'm so not to up to date with what RJY do 🫢

• Haha 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif