Wow! A Youtuber Mr Beast recreated Squid Game with real life players.

• Cost $2M.
  • The winner takes home $456,000 cash.
  • No one actually dies, they are simply dispatched with a harmless squib when being eliminated from the game [Source]
  • Included most of the games from the show like Red Light Green Light, Tug of War, Dalgona and Marbles.
  • The late night fight in episode 3 was replaced by Ddakji, the game played with Gong Yoo when they were being recruited.
  • The final games was Musical Chairs.
  • Player 79 won but 456 lasted until the final game.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/mrbeast-squid-game-video-fans-react/#3

Edited by Chocolate

Hmmm, interesting theory. But I think Gi Hun won because he was essentially a kind person. He was the first person to talk to Il Nam and perhaps from there, Il Nam liked him and wanted to encourage him back into the game to give him a chance. If Gi Hun cared only about winning and had not invited Il Nam to join the team, even knowing that strength was important, for what became the tug-of-war game, his team may not have won. I don't see a way for Il Nam to manipulate that result to favour Gi Hun. If Gi Hun had been an a**h***, Il Nam would also not have given up his marble.

screen-rant-logo.jpg

Squid Game: The Old Man Always Wanted Gi-hun To Win - Theory Explained

BY RICK STEVENSON | PUBLISHED OCT 30, 2021

Il-nam and Gi-hun become friends over the course of Squid Game season 1, and there are several clues that the old man helped Gi-hun win.

Old-Man-and-Gi-Hun-in-Squid-Game.jpg?q=5

Warning: Contains SPOILERS for Squid Game.

Gi-hun and Il-nam have an interesting relationship that evolves over the course of Squid Game, and there’s reason to think that the old man may have been helping Gi-hun win from the very beginning. Il-nam introduces himself as an innocent old man with a deadly brain tumor, and he and Gi-hun quickly strike up a friendship. That friendship is flipped on its head, however, when it’s revealed that the old man was actually the Squid Game founder all along.

Squid Game’s old man twist is one of the most important and shocking moments of the entire show. For most of Squid Game, the old man seems like a harmless, kindly person. He befriends Gi-hun, helps some others pass various rounds of the competition, and then seems to die in round 4, after being beaten by Gi-hun in marbles. In the show’s final episode, however, it’s revealed that Il-nam actually survived and that he was the original founder and leader of the evil organization running the games. He still passes away from his brain tumor, but not before sharing the truth with Gi-hun.

Clearly, Il-nam is a deeply bad person. His creation is responsible for countless deaths and an overall dehumanization of the poor and indebted that makes him despicable by the end. In spite of all that, though, the old man and Gi-hun seem to have a very real connection. Il-nam shows him kindness from the very start, and he may have been pulling strings to help Gi-hun win the games all along. Here’s every hint that the Squid Game founder actually wanted Gi-hun to win the whole time.

The Old Man Befriends Gi-Hun Immediately In Squid Game

Spoiler
Squid-game-why-the-old-man-lets-Gi-hun-w

When Gi-hun first wakes up on the Squid Game island, Il-nam is the first person he meets. They strike up conversation immediately because the old man is player number 1 – the first person to enter the games – and Gi-hun is number 456 – the last person to enter the games. This apparent coincidence leads the two Squid Game characters to strike up an immediate relationship, which lasts until the end of round 4. All this seems innocuous enough the first time viewing the show, but after knowing the Il-nam founder twist, it takes on new possibilities. The old man ran the entire Squid Game organization, which means he would have known everything about every potential player. It’s reasonable to suppose, then, that Il-nam could have made Gi-hun number 456 on purpose, giving them a reason to start a relationship that would seem random to the younger man.

Il-Nam Convinces Gi-Hun To Return To Squid Game

Spoiler

squid-game-old-man-il-nam-red-green-butt

After the first round of Squid Game ends with the survivors voting to go home, Il-nam bumps into Gi-hun at a convenience store seemingly by chance. He tells the younger man that he’s one of the Squid Game characters who’s returning to play, subtly helping Gi-hun decide to rejoin the games as well. Knowing that the old man is the founder of Squid Game, there’s no way this meeting is actually a chance encounter. There’s also no way that Il-nam could have pretended to bump into many of the other players, especially since he didn’t get to know most of them. Why, then, does the old man spend his time personally urging Gi-hun to return to the Squid Game? It’s clear from their conversation at the end of the show that Il-nam truly believes his creation is a necessary tool for the poor and indebted, so it’s possible that he wants Gi-hun to return because he actually likes him and wants him to win.

The Old Man Helps Gi-Hun Win Tug Of War

Spoiler

Squid-Game-Il-Nam-tug-of-war.jpg?q=50&fi

In Squid Game round 3’s tug of war, Gi-hun and the old man join the same team. Il-nam reveals that he played the game all the time as a kid, and he gives the whole squad some crucial tips that ultimately lead them to victory. Of course, the old man’s strategy wasn’t a guarantee that the team would win, but he must have known from watching so many iterations of the competition that his skills and knowledge would be an asset to whatever team he joined. Because he and Gi-hun are already friends, it makes sense for them to team up, but it also ends up being the main reason why Gi-hun survives to see the next round.

The Old Man Lets Gi-Hun Win At Marbles

Spoiler
squid-game-marble-old-man.jpg?q=50&fit=c

Il-nam’s final round of Squid Game is round 4 – marbles. After allowing his friend’s deceptive tricks for a time, the old man lets Gi-hun win at marbles, saying that he’s enjoyed his time in the games, that he appreciates the younger man’s friendship, and that he’s ready to die. It’s a devastating moment for Gi-hun, who weeps after realizing what he’s done to ensure his own survival. However, unbeknownst to Gi-hun at the time, Il-nam survives his loss because of his secret identity as the games’ founder. He was clearly okay with dying in the games, as earlier rounds wouldn’t have allowed him to survive after losing, but he lets Gi-hun go forward anyway. All this really does is allow the younger man a chance to reclaim his life, and while there’s no guarantee after round 4 that Gi-hun would win the whole thing, it seems like that might have been the old man’s hope.

Theory: Il-Nam Wanted Gi-Hun To Win Squid Game From The Beginning

Spoiler

Squid-game-old-man-twist-spoils-gi-hun-e

Throughout the story of Squid Game season 1, Il-nam shows consistent car, concern, and kindness toward Gi-hun. When the younger man leaves the games, Il-nam brings him back in. When Gi-hun struggles at different stages of the competition, the old man helps him move forward. He never truly rigs or disrupts the fairness of the games, but he gives clear advantages to Gi-hun throughout, and it’s unlikely that he would have won the games without Il-nam’s help.

The old man’s morals are clearly sick and twisted. He would rather use his resources to torment and murder desperate people than to actually help them or try to solve society’s problems. His relationship with Gi-hun, however, is clearly more wholesome. In his own perverse way, he seems to care about him, and since he knows everything about the Squid Game players, he must also know about Gi-hun’s family situation. There’s never a confirmation that Il-nam wanted Gi-hun to win, but it seems likely. Perhaps Squid Game season 2 will shed a little more light on how Il-nam founded the organization, why, and what his relationship with Gi-hun will mean for the younger man’s future.

Source

Edited by Chocolate

Wi Ha Joon Reveals His Dream “Squid Game” Season 2 Plotline For His Character, His Ideal Type, And More

Nov 26, 2021 by E. Cha

In a recent interview and pictorial for The Star magazine, Wi Ha Joon talked about Season 2 of his hit drama “Squid Game,” his ideal type, and more!

The actor, who will be gracing the cover of the magazine’s December issue, recently skyrocketed to global stardom following to his scene-stealing performance in “Squid Game.” Just this month, the rising star made People magazine’s list of the “25 sexiest men on TV”—despite the list focusing almost entirely on American TV.

Commenting on his surging popularity, Wi Ha Joon humbly remarked, “Even now, I still can’t believe that this kind of thing could happen to me. I had the amazing fortune of appearing in a great drama.”

Wi Ha Joon also went on to share his personal hopes for his character in the upcoming second season of “Squid Game.”

“Because my character had to explain things from an observer’s point of view, there were a lot of limits to the emotion [that he could portray],” said the actor. “If I were to imagine Hwang Joon Ho in Season 2, I’d want him to find his brother again and ask him what in the world happened [to him].”

Wi-Ha-Joon-22.jpg

Spoiler

When asked what he considered his greatest strengths as an actor, Wi Ha Joon pondered the question for a long time before finally answering, “The versatility and duality that comes from my physical appearance. And I think I’m pretty good at action scenes.”

As for his ideal type, Wi Ha Joon shared, “I like people who are wise. My dream partner is an admirable person who is strong enough to stand up to those who are strong and who is generous to those who are weak. I think that in order for us to grow and improve, I need to be able to learn a lot from them.”

Wi-Ha-Joon-31.jpg

Wi Ha Joon also opened up about a time in his acting career when he considered giving up altogether.

“There was a time when I kept failing auditions, and my self-confidence dropped to the point where I started wondering, ‘Should I not act?'” he recalled.

“But thanks to the people around me who encouraged me a lot, I gradually became more relaxed, and I now have faith in myself. Since I have a lot of things to show, I want to display even better acting from now on, and I think a lot about what I should do to be able to act for a long time.”

Finally, when asked about his personal goals, Wi Ha Joon revealed, “I want to hear people say, ‘You can always count on Wi Ha Joon’s acting. I want people to feel that I’m a warm person, and I also want to express my feelings and give a lot of love from now on.”

Wi-Ha-Joon-4.jpg

Wi-Ha-Joon-5.jpg

Wi-Ha-Joon.jpeg

Source

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Squid Game” Is The First Korean Drama Awarded At The Gotham Awards With Breakthrough Series Win

Nov 30, 2021 by D. Kim

“Squid Game” has once again made history!

On November 29 (local time), the ceremony for the 2021 Gotham Awards was held in New York.

“Squid Game” actors Lee Jung Jae and Jung Ho Yeon were in attendance along with the drama’s director Hwang Dong Hyuk and the production company’s CEO Kim Ji Yeon. The drama was nominated for Breakthrough Series – Over 40 Minutes, and Lee Jung Jae was nominated for Outstanding Performance in a New Series.

The “Squid Game” team took the stage as the drama won Breakthrough Series – Over 40 Minutes, making it the first Korean drama to win at the Gotham Awards.

FFaVaviXwAgy4DS?format=jpg&name=medium

Source: The Gotham

Director Hwang Dong Hyuk shared, “When I wrote this script, it was 2009, 12 years ago. I did my best, but nobody liked it. People said it’s unrealistic, it’s too violent, it’s absurd, it’s weird. It took 12 years to make this show and show it to the people. And it took less than 12 days to become the No. 1 show on the planet.” He continued, “If there’s a miracle, this is a miracle. It happened to me. The only thing I can say is thank you. Thank you for watching it, and thank you for loving it.”

Congratulations to “Squid Game”!

Watch “Squid Game” win the award at 3:30:00 below:

Spoiler

Source

Edited by Chocolate

The nominees were:

Breakthrough Series – Long Format (over 40 minutes)
“The Good Lord Bird”
“It’s A Sin”
“Small Axe”
“Squid Game” WINNER
“The Underground Railroad”
“The White Lotus”

Outstanding Performance in a New Series
Jennifer Coolidge in “The White Lotus”
Michael Greyeyes in “Rutherford Falls”
Ethan Hawke in “The Good Lord Bird” WINNER
Devery Jacobs in “Reservation Dogs”
Lee Jung-jae in “Squid Game”
Thuso Mbedu in “The Underground Railroad” WINNER
Jean Smart in “Hacks”
Omar Sy in “Lupin”
Anya Taylor-Joy in “The Queen’s Gambit”
Anjana Vasan in “We Are Lady Parts”

Source: indiewire

Edited by Chocolate

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Bang Si Hyuk And “Squid Game” Director Hwang Dong Hyuk Named On This Year’s Bloomberg 50

Dec 3, 2021 by S. Cho

Bang Si Hyuk and “Squid Game” director Hwang Dong Hyuk have made it onto the Bloomberg 50!

The Bloomberg 50 highlights the top 50 people and ideas whose accomplishments have defined global business, entertainment, finance, politics, and science over the past year. This year, the list includes three Koreans – HYBE’s Bang Si Hyuk, director Hwang Dong Hyuk, and Lee Hoe Sung, the chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Listed under the entertainment sector, HYBE founder Bang Si Hyuk was applauded for being “the hitmaker behind BTS” and for his new merger with Ithaca Holdings, which manages Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, and more.

Also under the entertainment section is director and screenwriter Hwang Dong Hyuk, who recently skyrocketed to fame with his hit series “Squid Game.” After being watched by more than 140 million people all over the globe, “Squid Game” is now officially the most-watched series in Netflix history.

Under science and technology is IPCC chair Lee Hoe Sung, who was praised for guiding nearly 200 countries to unanimous agreement that the global temperature had risen 1.1 degrees Celsius (approximately 33.98 degrees Fahrenheit).

Also included on the list is Roblox CEO David Baszucki, president and CEO of CVS Health Corporation Karen Lynch, Olivia Rodrigo, Britney Spears, and more.

Congratulations to Bang Si Hyuk, Hwang Dong Hyuk, and Lee Hoe Sung!

Source

todaylogo_ori.png

Squid Game Villain Heo Sung Tae Aka Player 101 Gave Up His High-Flying Job To Become An Actor At 34
By ILSA CHAN Published SEPTEMBER 30, 2021 Updated OCTOBER 05, 2021

15418788-heo-sung-tae-data.jpg?itok=GK4d

Squid Game Bully Heo Sung Tae Aka Player 101 Gave Up His High-Flying Job To Become An Actor

The 42-year-old, who is proficient in Russian, used to work in some of South Korea’s biggest conglomerates.

South Korean Netflix series Squid Game has taken the world by storm.

The show, which revolves around a group of cash-strapped individuals, who participate in a series of deadly childhood games to win a huge cash prize, reached No. 1 in 90 countries in 10 days, and is on track to become Netflix’s biggest show ever.

So it’s no surprise that it’s catapulted its actors into a level of fame few could ever imagine.

One of them is 42-year-old actor Heo Sung Tae, who plays ruthless gangster Jang Deok Soo aka Player 101.

Since the show was released on Netflix on September 17, Sung Tae’s Instagram following has jumped 40 times and now has over 570K followers.

heo-sung-tae-data.jpg
1 of 3 It's his dream to be an actor

Sung Tae got his start in showbiz a little later than most at age 34.

Prior to acting, Sung Tae, who studied Russian language and culture at Pusan National University, worked at LG Electronics’ overseas business marketing team. Proficient in Russian, he was based in the country where he was responsible for TV sales in the local market.

He once revealed on variety show Happy Together that he was dubbed King of TV sales in Russia and had “installed all the LG LCD TVs in hotels in Moscow .

He later joined one of South Korea’s largest shipbuilding companies, Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Co., where he worked in the planning and coordination department.

Then he was earning an annual income of 70mil won (S$80.4K) and despite good career prospects (he was on track to be promoted to section chief at the age of 34), he gave up his high-flying job after coming in fifth in talent show Be The Star in 2011.

be-the-star-data.jpg
2 of 3 Sung Tae in talent show Be The Star in 2011

Since then, he has been cast in a slew of supporting roles — most of them villains — in more than 60 movies.

In 2016, he became a household name after his character in period thriller The Age Of Shadows got slapped by Song Kang Ho.

The following year, he impressed audiences with his performance in The Outlaws and even won the award for Excellence in Acting (Movie) at the 2018 Korea Cultural Entertainment Awards.

sex-scene-data.jpg
3 of 3 His sex scene in Squid Game left a deep impression on viewers, and not in a good way

However, his character in Squid Game is probably the most memorable, not just for Sung Tae, but also viewers.

According to media reports, the toilet sex scene between his character and Player 212 Han Mi Nyeo, played by Kim Soo Ryung, has been voted the “most hated scene” by Korean netizens.

Netizens dug out Sung Tae’s old interview in which he revealed on a radio show in 2016 that he had promised his wife that he would not shoot any intimate scenes.

He said that his wife could tolerate him being naked on screen but not him acting in sex scenes. And so he wouldn't do them even if he was offered 1bil won (S$1.15mil).

“No, I can’t do it. I will just earn my money gradually,” he said firmly.

Netizens couldn’t help but take a jab at the actor. There were comments like “Did you get more than 1 billion won?”, “It seems like he can't go home now”, and “You’re in big trouble”.

Source

• 1 month later...

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Lee Jung Jae Confirms He Will Not Attend Golden Globes Due To Boycott And COVID-19 Issues

Jan 5, 2022 by C. Hong

Lee Jung Jae will not be attending the 2022 Golden Globes despite being nominated for awards.

Lee Jung Jae has been nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama for his performance in “Squid Game.” “Squid Game” was also nominated for Best Television Series – Drama and O Yeong Su was nominated for Best Supporting Actor – Television.

On January 5, Lee Jung Jae’s agency, Artist Company, stated, “He is immensely grateful to have been nominated in the Best Actor category at the Golden Globes, but he has decided not to attend the ceremony. He recognizes that Netflix is not participating in the Golden Globes, as has been widely reported around the world. He also made the decision considering other factors like the COVID-19 situation and the quarantine requirements.”

The Golden Globes is an American awards show where the nominees and winners are chosen by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), which consists of foreign film journalists from various countries around the world. Although the show is typically star-studded and seen as a predictor of the Academy Awards, the Golden Globes have come under fire in recent years for allegations of corruption and lack of diversity among the members of the HFPA.

As a result, Hollywood has called for a widespread boycott of the Golden Globes. Top stars and directors have expressed their intention not to attend the awards and not to accept any awards they might win. Studios like Netflix, Amazon, and Warner Media have announced that they will not participate in the Golden Globes or work with the HFPA until reforms were put in place. NBC, the long-time broadcaster of the Golden Globes, also pulled out of its commitments in airing the show.

Allegations of racism in the Golden Globes were also brought up when “Minari” won the Best Foreign Language Film category last year despite being produced by an American production company, written and directed by a Korean-American, and centered around the Korean-American experience. At the time, the Golden Globes said that the film had been nominated in that category because more than half of the film was not in English.

Lee Jung Jae had reportedly planned to attend the Critics Choice Awards, which will be held at the same time as the Golden Globes, but canceled his U.S. schedule due to the COVID-19 situation.

Source

Edited by Chocolate

Congrats! 🥳

Oh Young Soo From “Squid Game” Becomes 1st Korean Actor To Win Best Supporting Actor At Golden Globes

Jan 10, 2022 by S. Nam

Oh Young Soo has become the first Korean actor to be awarded individually at the Golden Globes!

On January 9, the 79th Golden Globe Awards took place in Beverley Hills, California. The Golden Globes is one of the major awards shows leading up to the Academy Awards in the United States and awards both television and film.

Oh Young Soo won Best Supporting Actor in the Television division for his role as Oh Il Nam in the hit Netflix original series “Squid Game.” He had been nominated alongside Billy Crudup and Mark Duplass in “The Morning Show,” Kieran Culkin in “Succession,” and Brett Goldstein in “Ted Lasso.”

Oh-Young-Soo.jpg

Through Netflix, Oh Young Soo stated, “After hearing the news of the award, I told myself, ‘I’m a decent guy,’ for the first time in my life.” He continued, “Now, it’s no longer ‘us within the world,’ but it’s ‘the world within us.’ While embracing the scent of our culture and while embracing the love for my family deep in my heart, I give thanks to everyone in the world. I hope you all live beautiful lives. Thank you.”

“Squid Game” had also been nominated for Best Television Series – Drama, while Lee Jung Jae had been nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama.

Due to Hollywood’s boycott of the Golden Globes for allegations of corruption and lack of diversity among the members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), which consists of foreign film journalists from various countries around the world who chose the nominees and winners, this year’s Golden Globes was not broadcast on television or streamed online. The awards ceremony was carried out without an audience, and the winners were announced through the Golden Globes’ official homepage and social media accounts.

Congratulations to Oh Young Soo on his historic win!

Source

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

logo_057_6_20200915153924.png

Lee Jung-jae Best Actor Award, Jung Ho-yeon Best Actress... 'Squid Game' wins 3 SAG awards in the US (comprehensive)

FMpy7JtaQAEHoMi?format=jpg&name=small
Lee Jung-jae Best Actor Award Jeong Ho-yeon Best Actress Photo = ⓒAFPBBNews=News1

Actor Lee Jung-jae took the Best Actor Award and Jeong Ho-yeon the Best Actress Award, setting the first Korean record, and unfortunately the ensemble award for 'Squid Game' was not made at the 28th American Actors Guild Awards.

At the SAG Awards held in Santa Monica, California on the 27th (local time), Lee Jung-jae, Jeong Ho-yeon, Kim Joo-ryung, Anupam Tree Party, and Park Hae-soo attended the 'Squid Game'.

At the SAG Awards ceremony, 'Squid Game' was nominated in four categories, including the TV Drama Ensemble Award, Best Actor (Jung-jae Lee), Best Actress (Ho-yeon Jeong), and Ensemble Award in the Stunt Category. In particular, 'Squid Game' is the first time a Korean drama has been nominated for the American Actors Guild Awards.

FMpy7VHakAYEZh5?format=jpg&name=small

'Squid Game' ensemble award failed photo = ⓒAFPBBNews=News1

Meanwhile, according to the results announced prior to the awards ceremony that day, 'Squid Game' was selected for the stunt award after competing with 'Cobra Kai', 'Falcon and Winter Soldier', 'Loki' and 'Mare of East Town'.

Since then, Lee Jung-jae and Jeong Ho-yeon have achieved splendid achievements in Best Actor and Best Actress side by side. Above all, this is the first time that a non-English-speaking drama actor and Korean actor has won the SAG Best Actor Award.

Lee Jung-jae said, “Thank you so much. This is such a big thing that happened to me... ' and said, "Thank you so much. Thank you to the global audience who loved our 'Squid Game'. I am really grateful to our 'Squid Game' team."

Jeong Ho-yeon showed a tearful look and said, "First of all, thank you. I have seen many actors here as spectators on TV and on screen, but I always dreamed of wanting to become an actor while watching them. It is an honor in itself to be here, and I am very grateful.”

However, it was unfortunately not able to win the best ensemble award. 'Squid Game', 'The Handmaiden's Story', 'Morning Show', 'Succession' and 'Yellowstone' competed, but the ensemble award went to 'Succession'.

On the other hand, 'Squid Game' is a work that tells the story of participants who risk their lives for a prize of 45.6 billion won. Palm Tree Party and others appeared.

Source

• Party! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

She's been really popular. Likely they will resurrect her in one form or other.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlbnbbWVdvh2QgKR_MJi6tAIApNQScfSIv_t_nd-fEBCJhjmRQ8lUWNTRN41KjBnEBtw&usqp=CAU

‘Squid Game’ Season 2: Creator Hwang Dong-Hyuk Says HoYeon Jung Might Come Back As A Twin

By Anthony D'Alessandro, Antonia Blyth

March 19, 2022 8:44pm

SquidGame_Unit_103_1280-e1646005475971.j

After Squid Game became the surprise Netflix phenomenon that ripped through streaming audiences in 2021, the burning question is, will there be a second season?

Speaking to Deadline on the red carpet at Saturday’s PGA Awards ceremony, Squid Game creator Hwang Dong-hyuk said there is nothing to see just yet, but he is working hard on ideas for the next season of the South Korean killer survival drama.

“There will be more great games, that’s all I can say.” Hwang said. “I’m just still brainstorming and collecting the ideas for Season 2. I haven’t even started with the writing yet.”

Will there be flashbacks? Are those Season 1 characters gone forever? Can we expect to see some cast members coming back somehow?

“No, because most of them are dead,” Hwang said with a laugh. “I’ll try something to bring them back to Season 2.”

Gesturing beside him on the red carpet to HoYeon Jung, who plays Kang Sae-byeok on Squid Game’s Season 1, he said, “Let’s say maybe she has a twin sister, you’ll see.”

HoYeon laughed and said: “I could change my hair color. Let’s do a little like plastic surgery.”

Asked whether he had been surprised by the show’s runaway success, Hwang said: “Yeah in a way because who can expect this kind of success. I tried hard to make a successful show, but I never expected this much success. It’s a surprise.”

The show won three SAG Awards this year, and since its September 17 release has become the most-watched Netflix content ever.

Source