@kdramafolder

#SquidGame casts will leave for the US to carry out promotion schedule #JungHoyeon has left the country on Nov 1. It's reported that #LeeJungjae, #ParkHaesoo and director Hwang Donghyuk are going to depart soon It's said that interviews with them have been scheduled as well

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/now/article/311/0001368647

FDvT6CwacAA_zIZ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FDvT8TlaMAAtHmd?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FDvT8T0aUAAvMxG?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FDvT8UNaQAAo09m?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Source: netflix korea

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2

7c843bbbb364e4e8be8532b332558da4ff06c74a.png

Squid Game confirmed for a second season due to 'so much demand and so much love'

By Tim Gallagher  •  Updated: 09/11/2021 - 12:01

Squid Game is one of Netflix's biggest shows
Squid Game is one of Netflix's biggest shows   -   Copyright  Youngkyu Park/Netflix via AP

The creator of Netflix series Squid Game has confirmed the popular show will return for a second season.

Director and writer Hwang Dong-hyuk said he had “no choice” but to create a second season after the global popularity of the dystopian drama.

The show reached world-wide acclaim after it’s release earlier this year, drawing in 111 million viewers according to Netflix’s own figures.

Following desperate, cash-strapped contestants in a sick game of life and death for the entertainment of a wealthy elite, Squid Game is considered to be a scathing analogy of capitalist society.

Speaking at a special screening in Los Angeles last night Hwang Dong-hyuk said,

"There's been so much pressure, so much demand and so much love for a second season.

"It's in my head right now. I'm in the planning process currently. But I do think it's too early to say when and how that's going  to happen.

“I will promise you this, Gi-hun will be back and he'll do something for the world," the director continued.

Squid Game is thought to be Netflix’s biggest ever TV show sprouting a cultural zeitgeist of halloween costumes, merchandise, and copy cats.

TV shows in Korea are usually limited to one-run and Squid Game 2 is a reflection of the world’s hunger for more of Dong-hyuk’s searing social commentary.

Global fame and autographs: How have the lives of the stars changed?

Spoiler

Showcasing an ensemble cast of Korean talent, Squid Game has launched its stars onto a global stage.

On the red carpet, many of them reflected on how the show has changed their lives. Actress Jung Hoyeon - who placed fourth on Korea’s Next Top Model prior to appearing on Squid Game - told reporters about an interesting encounter with a fan in LAX airport.

“When I came through the Immigration Center, the officer asked me, (for my) autograph.

“It was amazing.”

Jordan Strauss/2021 InvisionJung Hoyeon on the red carpet at special LA screening of Squid GameJordan Strauss/2021 Invision

Lead actor Lee Jung-Jae, who has been working in Korea for 25-years, described the reaction from fans.

"I get recognized in the streets of America. That's amazing, right?

“People just go around and say hello. So I really don't know how to respond to all the love.

“It's so great to be able to meet the fans who have loved and watched the show so much. So it just feels great to be here to be able to do that."

All the cast harbors dreams of working in Hollywood with Jung Hoyeon saying to the camera, “Call your agents.”

Squid Game is streaming on Netflix.

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

forbes-logo.jpg

‘Squid Game’ Season 2 Confirmed By Director Hwang Dong-Hyuk

Paul Tassi Senior Contributor | Nov 9, 2021

squid gameSquid Game NETFLIX

It may be the most obvious development in streaming television history, but Netflix’s chaotic megahit, Squid Game, will indeed return for season 2, confirmed officially by writer/director Hwang Dong-hyuk in an interview with the AP.

While Hwang Dong-hyuk has spoken about potential ideas for Squid Game season 2, this is the first time he’s actually said that it was definitely happening. Here’s the translation of what he said in the AP interview, which you can watch below:

“So there’s been so much pressure, so much demand and so much love for a second season. So I almost feel like you leave us no choice! But I will say there will indeed be a second season. It’s in my head right now. I’m in the planning process currently. But I do think it’s too early to say when and how that’s going to happen. So I will promise you this…(in English) Gi-Hun will come back, and he will do something for the world.”

Again, Hwang Dong-hyuk has spoken about the potential of a second season before. Here’s what he had to say previously about the prospect, where he says he would need help this time, where previously, he wrote and directed every episode of Squid Game himself:

“I don’t have well developed plans for ‘Squid Game 2.’ It is quite tiring just thinking about it. But if I were to do it, I would certainly not do it alone. I’d consider using a writers’ room and would want multiple experienced directors.”

Later, he talked openly about one potential idea for season 2 involving a newfound focus on the police, using the Frontman as a focus:

“If I do get to do one — one would be the story of the Frontman [a former cop who now oversees the game]. I think the issue with police officers is not just an issue in Korea. I see it on the global news. This was an issue that I wanted to raise. Maybe in season two I can talk about this more.”

Hwang Dong-hyuk has previously said that Squid Game has not made him rich like the VIPs on the show, given that his original contract with Netflix to make the series didn’t come with a performance bonus. But obviously, given the sweeping success of the series, where it’s more than twice as popular as any other Netflix original in history, there’s little double he would be able to negotiate a generous package to return and make season 2, even if that was not necessarily the original plan, and he’s now having to build his ideas from scratch.

This is also the first official confirmation about Gi-Hun’s return, which is sort of a spoiler in and of itself, but if you watched the end of the show, you’ll know that of course he would be a character with a presence in the second season, even if there was a new game running he was not participating in. And it seems likely the Frontman (and possibly his brother?) will return as well.

As for a timeline, I would expect it to take longer than a year to get Squid Game season 2, given that he’s still just conceptualizing the season as we speak. So 18 months? Two years? I wouldn’t rule it out, but whenever it hits, it will be huge.

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1

Reporters should really do their research or phrase their question better.

People are so offended 😂

@beingjanee_

Cackling...he said “yes being recognized and being famous is new for me...IN THE US.” Man couldn’t leave his house in Korea without a mob since the 90s. His translator was very diplomatic.

@infinitejyjdbsk

Does she know that the lake house by keanu reeves and Sandra bullock is a remake of his movie il mare

@allynsays

lmaoooo he's THE lee jungjae..he's been a top star since 90s...he experienced all that way before squid game 😭😭

@juwonreports

This dude hasn’t been roaming around freely for two plus decades… what is she talking about

Spoiler

Alternative opinion 😂

Spoiler

f3NiYze.png

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 3

ew_logo.jpg

Squid Game creator reveals alternate ending, hopes to 'go beyond' expectations in season 2

By Sydney BucksbaumNovember 09, 2021 at 05:48 PM EST

"I do have the basic story line in my head," director Hwang Dong-hyuk tells EW of season 2. "I am in the process currently of brainstorming the details."

Warning: This article contains spoilers for the season 1 finale of Squid Game.

Netflix's Squid Game almost ended very differently.

The massively popular Korean survival drama concluded its buzzy first season with Seong Gi-hun, a.k.a. Player 456 (Lee Jung-jae), deciding not to get on a plane to see his daughter; instead he turned around on the jet bridge to seek revenge on the sadistic game that almost cost him his life along with the other 455 contestants who died. But Squid Game creator and director Hwang Dong-hyuk reveals that there was an alternate season 1 ending in which Gi-hun's life-altering choice swung in the opposite direction.

"We actually wrestled between two different scenarios for the ending," Hwang tells EW, speaking through a translator. "There was one, the other alternate ending, where Gi-hun would get on the plane and leave. And then there was of course the one where he would turn back and walk towards the camera. We constantly asked ourselves, is it really right for Gi-hun to make the decision to leave and go see his family, to pursue his own happiness? Is that the right way for us to really propose the question or the message that we wanted to convey through the series?"

squid game
'Squid Game' | CREDIT: NETFLIX

In developing the series for Netflix, Hwang decided to end on a cliffhanger teasing a potential second season because of the deeper meaning behind it. "We came to the conclusion that the question that we wanted to propose cannot be done if he left on the plane," Hwang says. "The question that we want to answer — why has the world come to what it is now? — can only be answered or can only be proposed if Gi-hun turned back and walked towards the camera. So that's how we ended up with that ending in the finale."

While Netflix hasn't officially renewed Squid Game for season 2, Hwang recently teased to the Associated Press that "there will be a second season," but it's "too early" to say when it will happen. Below, Hwang dishes on how the series will "go beyond" fan expectations if and when it returns, how far along he is in planning a second season, and more.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Squid Game is taking the world by storm! What has that been like for you watching it become this massive global hit, especially since you had been developing it for such a long time?

HWANG DONG-HYUK: When you make something like this, you only hope, right? I hoped that maybe we could get No. 1 in the U.S. Maybe our series could be loved by people all over the world. But we really had no idea and we did not expect this to happen so quickly, and also through so many audiences around the world. And of course I did not expect Squid Game to become Netflix's biggest show ever, so I'm still in shock. I am extremely excited. It has truly been a roller coaster of emotions over the past two months since the launch of the show.

Spoiler

While there haven't been any announcements yet about Squid Game getting a second season, the finale perfectly set up where Gi-hun's story could potentially continue. What can you reveal about your plans for season 2?

As you can imagine, I've been getting so many comments and questions about season 2. I do have the basic story line in my head. I am in the process currently of brainstorming the details, but nothing has been made concrete in terms of we don't have a fixed season 2 with Netflix or how it's going to turn out, so I'll just say that I do have a basic story line in my head.

Now that Squid Game has such a large global audience, how are you taking into account fan expectations when creating a second season?

When you look at the fans' expectation, it's very difficult. I go on YouTube and see all of these fans imagining what the second season should be like or will be like, and their imaginations are really running wild. If there were to be a second season, I think I am going to stick to the basic story line that I have in mind. And I can only hope that it will not only meet the fans' expectations, but go beyond that. Their expectations are truly immense and very diverse, so I think it's going to be very difficult to pinpoint exactly what the fans want.

What did you learn throughout making the first season that you're going to remember when making season 2?

It's been loved and received so well, way beyond what I could have ever expected, and there's so many little details that the fans are picking up on and interpreting to even greater interpretation than what I had ever hoped for. Sometimes they'll take little details that were actually mistakes or some happy coincidences and really interpret it to their liking. So I learned and really felt that I'm really going to have to pay more attention to the details. I will not make any mistakes, no matter how small they may be. Through the next season, if there was one, I would try to bring more joy to the fans, and maybe more Easter eggs to put in there.

Looking to the future, how has Squid Game's success impacted you as a creator?

We got so much more love and support and encouragement than we could have ever expected, so I do admit there's a huge level of pressure that comes with it. While the success is indeed amazing, an immense blessing and encouragement, and also has opened up many doors for me and it's a huge opportunity, at the same time the amount of love and support and interest has definitely built up a huge expectation in terms of what I'm going to be putting out into the world next. There's definitely a level of pressure there. I would say that the success of Squid Game has brought me an amazing opportunity, but at the same time a huge amount of pressure. So seeing how much the world is really fascinated and interested in Squid Game, it definitely makes me want to really try hard to continue to create something that's going to pick at the issues of modern day and some of the social issues that we are going to see in the near future in a way that's much like Squid Game, where it's entertaining, intriguing, satirical, and refreshing at the same time.

Source: ew

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1

Financials

Netflix - $891M impact value

In a report obtained by Bloomberg by Netflix, Squid Game was estimated to make an impressive “impact value” for the streaming platform. While Netflix does not make public how much the K-drama made, the report does reveal Squid Game made $891.1 million in impact value.

Production Cost - $21M

Bloomberg also explains the K-drama only costs $21.4 million to produce. By mathematical calculations, it was estimated each episode cost $2.4 million to create. For many people reading the report, Squid Game really was Netflix’s big success, according to the numbers.

Director

The Guardian interviewed Hwang and asked the question everyone wanted to know the answer to. Did the director become rich due to the success of Squid Game? Hwang got right to point and answered he is not rich, but has more than enough money to put food on the table. While he did make millions, Hwang explains, “it’s not like Netflix is paying me a bonus. Netflix paid me according to the original contract.”

According to Distractify, Hwang has an estimated net worth of $5 Million. While Squid Game’s impact value for Netflix is near the billions, Hwang was tied to the initial contract he signed with the company. It is possible the contract did not account for the K-drama’s possible popularity. No one could have predicted Squid Game’s global success, not even Hwang or the main cast. After its initial debut, the K-drama overtook shows like Bridgerton and maintained its No.1 spot for weeks.

Lee Jung Jae - $2.2M

According to Today Online, as one of the most established actors, Jung-jae earned the most of the entire cast. He was paid an estimated 300 million won, around $253,637, per episode. With nine episodes, Jung-jae would have walked away with over $2.2 million, making him the second-highest paid Korean actor.

Park Hae Soo - $323K

According to Today Online, Hae-soo was the second-highest-paid actor in the series. He made an estimated 42.5 million won per episode, rounding out to be about $35,998 per episode. This means, for his role as Sang-woo, he made around $323,982 for the nine epodes.

Jung Ho Yeon - $64K

Ho Yeon Jung was the least experienced actor in the series but instantly became a fan favorite. According to Today Online, the other Squid Game stars were paid significantly more than HoYeon. She reportedly only made “a few hundred thousand Taiwan dollars” per episode. 200,000 Taiwan dollars is equivalent to $7,152.00.

This means that she made approximately $64,368 for the entire nine episodes of the series. While she may have been paid significantly less, her Instagram following grew from 400,000 to 20.5 million followers nearly overnight. Her skyrocketing popularity made HoYeon the most followed Korean actress on the social media platform.

With her social media influence growing, HoYeon is cashing in on sponsored posts. According to Vogue Business, Jung is currently the highest-paid Squid Game star on Instagram. She’s earning up to a whopping $43,000 per sponsored post on the social media platform.

Others

As for extras on the show or those playing meatier supporting roles like Anupam Tripathi’s Abdul Ali (Player 199), they could earn anywhere between a few thousand Taiwan dollars (around S$100) to NT$10,000 (S$487) per episode.

Source: Cheatsheet, Today Online, Guardian

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1

the-guardian.jpg

Squid Game’s creator: ‘I’m not that rich. It’s not like Netflix paid me a bonus’

Stuart Jeffries | Tue 26 Oct 2021 06.00 BST

‘It’s not profound’ … contestants meet their ends in Squid Game.‘It’s not profound’ … contestants meet their ends in Squid Game. Photograph: Noh Juhan/Netflix

Spoiler

The smash hit survival drama has earned Netflix £650m. But the stress of making it cost Hwang Dong-hyuk six teeth – and he hasn’t been paid any extra. He reveals the family disaster that inspired his hyper-violent capitalism satire

Hwang Dong-hyuk is laughing at me from his office in Seoul. I’ve just asked the creator of Squid Game, Netflix’s smash hit show, if its astonishing success has made him rich. In the dystopian survival drama, a mysterious organisation challenges 456 players from all walks of life – each deeply in debt – to play a series of children’s games. Win and they go home with 4.6bn won (£28m). Lose and they get a bullet in the head.

Perhaps Hwang is now as rich as the contestant who wins the top prize? “I’m not that rich,” he says. “But I do have enough. I have enough to put food on the table. And it’s not like Netflix is paying me a bonus. Netflix paid me according to the original contract.” That seems unfair. After all, the 50-year-old South Korean film-maker has made hundreds of millions for his paymasters. Squid Game earlier this month overtook Bridgerton as the most successful Netflix show ever.

According to leaked documents, the nine-episode run cost £15.5m to produce, which works out at £1.75m per instalment. Its return on that has been extraordinary. The series – which Netflix estimates has been watched by 142m households and boosted its subscriber figures by 4.4m – is thought to be worth £650m to the streaming service.

Perhaps Hwang should have negotiated a performance-related clause, particularly as creating, writing and directing it caused him so much stress that he lost six teeth in the process. “It was physically, mentally and emotionally draining. I kept having new ideas and revising the episodes as we were filming so the amount of work multiplied.”

The idea for Squid Game came out of Hwang’s own family situation in 2009, after the global financial crisis that hit his homeland hard. “I was very financially straitened because my mother retired from the company she was working for. There was a film I was working on but we failed to get finance. So I couldn’t work for about a year. We had to take out loans – my mother, myself and my grandmother.”

Hwang Dong-hyuk: ‘I tried to watch Bridgerton but gave up in the middle of episode one.’

Hwang Dong-hyuk: ‘I tried to watch Bridgerton but gave up in the middle of episode one.’ Photograph: Ji Sang Chung/Netflix

Hwang sought relief in Seoul’s comic book cafes. “I read Battle Royal and Liar Game and other survival game comics. I related to the people in them, who were desperate for money and success. That was a low point in my life. If there was a survival game like these in reality, I wondered, would I join it to make money for my family? I realised that, since I was a film-maker, I could put my own touch to these kinds of stories so I started on the script.”

He drew on a version of tag he played as a boy called squid game, named after the various squid-bodypart shapes that were drawn on to whatever field it was played on. “I used to be good at fighting my way to the squid’s head,” Hwang says. “You had to fight to win.”

In the first game in the show, all 456 contestants can only move when the face of a sinister mechanised doll is turned away from them. Those caught out are mown down with machine-gun fire. Why did Hwang create a horrifyingly brutal contest that holds human life so cheap? “Because the show is motivated by a simple idea,” he says. “We are fighting for our lives in very unequal circumstances.”

Are you making a profound point about capitalism? “It’s not profound! It’s very simple! I do believe that the overall global economic order is unequal and that around 90% of the people believe that it’s unfair. During the pandemic, poorer countries can’t get their people vaccinated. They’re contracting viruses on the streets and even dying. So I did try to convey a message about modern capitalism. As I said, it’s not profound.”

But isn’t there a contradiction in that, without money from an international corporation, ie Netflix, your critique of global capitalism would never have been seen? Hwang laughs at me again and says: “Oh, the Guardian, asking profound questions! Well, Netflix is a global corporation but I don’t think it is aggravating inequalities. I don’t think there is a contradiction. When I was working on the project, the goal was to rank No 1 on the Netflix US chart for at least a day. But it ended up being much more successful, the most watched show on Netflix ever. It’s very surprising. It shows that the global audience is resonating with the message I wanted to reflect.”

Did Hwang watch Bridgerton to study the competition? “I find it difficult to watch any series in full. There are only two I’ve watched through to the end: Breaking Bad and Mind Hunter. People said Bridgerton was very good so I tried watching episode one but I gave up in the middle. I’m not really into TV romance stories because it’s been six or seven years since I was in a relationship. I find it really hard to relate to.”

‘It’s about people’s psychology in extreme situations’ … Squid Game.‘It’s about people’s psychology in extreme situations’ … Squid Game. Photograph: Netflix

Perhaps that’s why the sex scenes in Squid Game are so grim. I’m thinking of the one in episode four when two players, one a macho gangster, have sex in a bathroom. There is no love in Squid Game, is there? “Yes there is!” Hwang insists. “It’s a different kind of love in a bizarre, strange, desperate situation. The woman relies on the strongest man in the group. She has to find something to rely on. She believes it’s love – otherwise it’s too sad, you know, to sell sex to the guy just to survive. So she believes her emotion is love, but not romantic love like in Bridgerton.”

Hwang says he wrote this scene after watching a TV reality show in which contestants are stranded on a desert island. “It was about people’s psychology in extreme situations. They are sexually attracted to people they believe are stronger and the best at hunting, when they wouldn’t have been before.” Aren’t you depicting women as sexualised commodities? For once, Hwang’s smile fades: “Why are you asking about excessive sexual representation of women?” He says his only purpose was “to show that, regardless of gender, women and men tend to perform desperate actions in extreme situations”.

My dream was to create something that would resonate globally. We are living in a Squid Game world now

Spoiler

One Squid Game contestant is a North Korean defector. “They’re probably the biggest minority in South Korea now,” says Hwang. “That’s only going to increase. I think exchange between the two Koreas is going to expand. We are going to reach reunification at some point. I hope so.” North Korea has not taken such a benevolent line on the show. According to propaganda site Arirang Meari, Hwang’s drama shows South Korea is “infested by the rules of survival of the fittest, corruption and immorality”. Not words, of course, that could ever apply to truly egalitarian North Korea.

But Squid Game is hardly just a snapshot of his home country. “I wanted to create something that would resonate not just for Korean people but globally. This was my dream.” In this life and death struggle, social norms are torn away and the contestants are trapped in a war of all against all, in which human life is nasty, brutish and short. “We are living in a Squid Game world,” says Hwang, but he says not everybody in his drama is selfishly looking after number one, climbing over losers’ faces to win the money.

Some viewers have found the denouement – in which the winner makes two surprise decisions to do with family and prize money – exasperating. US basketball legend LeBron James, who loved the show, had this to say: “I didn’t like the ending though. What are you doing?”

Hwang on the set of series one‘I wouldn’t change my ending’ … Hwang on the set of series one. Photograph: Noh Juhan | Netflix/Netflix

Is James wrong? Hwang giggles from Seoul, before referencing one of James’s film career highlights. “Have you seen Space Jam 2?” he asks. Not all the way through, I reply. “LeBron James is cool and can say what he wants. I respect that. I’m very thankful he watched the whole series. But I wouldn’t change my ending. That’s my ending. If he has his own ending that would satisfy him, maybe he could make his own sequel. I’ll check it out and maybe send him a message saying, ‘I liked your whole show, except the ending.’”

But surely there is another reason for that ending: it’s teed up nicely for a sequel, with the winner able to take on the diabolical secret organisation that runs Squid Game. No announcement has been made and Hwang isn’t sure there will be a season two, nor what its story would be. “Of course there is talk. That’s inevitable because it’s been such a success. I am considering it. I have a very high-level picture in my mind, but I’m not going to work on it straight away. There’s a film I really want to make. I’m thinking about which to do first. I’m going to talk to Netflix.”

He doesn’t want to become just the Squid Game guy and is now lobbying Netflix to screen three movies he made in the past decade. But he certainly hasn’t ruled a sequel out – if only for one very material reason. “It’s possible,” he says with one last laugh, “that I have to do season two to become as rich as Squid Game’s winner.”

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1

In terms of Korean actors earnings, they are usually not paid huge sums as Hollywood stars may get. Their true earning potential is in making commercials and sponsorships if they become popular stars. For example, Won Bin who is one of the lowest prolific stars in terms of number of movies and dramas made is one of the highest paid stars in terms of commercials due to his enduring popularity.

Lee Jung Jae as a top Korean star who is both prolific and popular may make a bit more for his movies and dramas now, but at the end of the day, he also probably made more money from commercials and endorsements than his movies and dramas. He's taken his earnings and started a number of businesses and restaurants as well.

I guess Wi Ha Jun had his Burberry obligations to meet. Still, I would have thought it would have been fun for him to do the overseas press tour. Anyway, I'm not going to take his absence from the overseas press tour as an indication of his presence or absence in Squid Game 2 since both Park Hae Soo and Jung Ho Yeon died in episode 1 and can't be in Squid Game 2, except possibly as flashbacks or something.

I just hope that WHJ doesn't get mired in any scandals since it would be just as easy to drop his character now if he is.

• Like 1

I must be the last person alive to watch Squid Game (waited for my sister who had exams) but marathoned it last weekend and LOVED it so much. I think it's one of those series with so much meaning that you could re-watch it several times and still miss something. Each of the characters were so memorable as well and I liked how diverse the cast was with a couple of fresh actors, some very seasoned actors and a non-Korean actor who was given a great role, representing undocumented migrant workers. :heart:

I also just loved the critique of capitalism and how we're often forced into a corner just because we need money. I think aside from the fast-paced, bloody and cut-throat games which were fun and thrilling to watch, I think it reasonated with so many people because the standard of living is so high, but people often don't earn enough to live as comfortably as they need. :letalQQ:

The games were really something though. I think I was traumatised with each game...but I think the best (worst) games for me was the marbles (I was already suss when they said to play in twos because I had a feeling they had to beat the person they were paired with) and the glass bridge. I think the glass bridge was just so traumatic because it was mostly luck more than skill (unless you happened to have worked in a glass factory before) and I'd hate to be the first person because I'm normally so indecisive as it is for little things in real life!:psweatduck:  

I hope the second season will be just as good. I loved the first series so much...but I guess it would be a new cast with the exception of Gi Hyun, The Frontman and maybe the police officer if he was only shot in the shoulder and didn't die as it was off-screen! :heiboi:

Edited by JenL
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

@JenL Did you manage to avoid all the spoilers before watching? The show is so popular it must have been difficult, especially for the marbles game.

Amazingly yes, I avoided all spoilers! I think it helps that I haven't been on social media very much lately and I avoided this thread before watching :laugh: The only things I kept seeing everywhere was the giant milky girl with laser eyes shooting people :idk:

And I was already super suss about Oh Il Nam from years of watching Korean dramas and having the gut feeling one of the players was behind it all... And I was pretty much 100% sure he was with the Frontman when the fight broke out and they stopped it after his message :wow2: So when I did see a video on YouTube titled 'Things you missed about Oh Il Nam' I didn't feel like it was spoiler (by that point, I was like 1-2 episodes from the end anyway).

• Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

m1IIROZYKbtKcs1llDcFOG9O1pRGQGH22y--mLmwuYlUKmr4NeE-LBYsTPjc5KXeAQguK6vmo-JwIzWfKVy0gpRRVJKU8GoG9Sy9XwPKQFteJGS91Qsb_bUDn5S7tvj5BTIp6ki5ShXjwULjzd-8

Squid Game crypto token collapses in apparent scam

Published 2 November, 2021

_121309348_squidgame_unit_104_442.jpg

A digital token inspired by the popular South Korean Netflix series Squid Game has lost almost all of its value as it was revealed to be an apparent scam.

Squid, which marketed itself as a "play-to-earn cryptocurrency", had seen its price soar in recent days - surging by thousands of per cent.

However, as the BBC reported, it was criticised for not allowing people to resell their tokens.

This kind of scam is commonly called a "rug pull" by crypto investors.

This happens when the promoter of a digital token draws in buyers, stops trading activity and makes off with the money raised from sales.

Squid's developers have made off with an estimated $3.38m (£2.48m), according to technology website Gizmodo.

"Play-to-earn" cryptocurrency is where people buy tokens to use in online games and can earn more tokens which can later be exchanged for other cryptocurrencies or national currencies.

Last Tuesday, Squid was trading at just 1 cent. In less than a week its price had jumped to over $2,856.

Its value has now plummeted by 99.99%, said cryptocurrency data website CoinMarketCap.

Continue here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59129466

“Squid Game” And Lee Jung Jae Nominated For 2021 Gotham Awards

Oct 22, 2021 by E. Cha

“Squid Game” and its star Lee Jung Jae have both been nominated for the 31st annual Gotham Independent Film Awards!

On October 21 local time, the Gotham Awards officially announced this year’s nominees, and the hit series “Squid Game” snagged two nominations.

“Squid Game” has been nominated for Breakthrough Series – Long Format (over 40 minutes), while star Lee Jung Jae is in the running for Outstanding Performance in a New Series.

Notably, the Gotham Awards has eliminated gendered acting awards for the first time this year, meaning that Lee Jung Jae will be facing competition from both male and female actors within the Outstanding Performance in a New Series category. The “Squid Game” star is up against Jennifer Coolidge (“The White Lotus”), Michael Greyeyes (“Rutherford Falls”), Ethan Hawke (“The Good Lord Bird”), Devery Jacobs (“Reservation Dogs”), Thuso Mbedu (“The Underground Railroad”), Jean Smart (“Hacks”), Omar Sy (“Lupin”), Anya Taylor-Joy (“The Queen’s Gambit”), and Anjana Vasan (“We Are Lady Parts”).

The 31st annual Gotham Awards ceremony will be held in New York on November 29.

Source