dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Jung Ho Yeon Dishes On The Biggest Change In Her Life Since “Squid Game,” Recent Win Against Boyfriend Lee Dong Hwi, And More

Oct 21, 2021 by S. Cho

“Squid Game” star Jung Ho Yeon has shared how she got into acting, the biggest change in her life since appearing in the show, and more!

On the October 20 episode of tvN’s “You Quiz on the Block,” Jung Ho Yeon appeared as a guest. She explained that she was busy these days with a jam-packed schedule and revealed that she had just finished filming for the “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” earlier that morning.

Jung Ho Yeon commented, “I really wanted to appear on ‘You Quiz on the Block.'” Referring to Jung Ho Yeon’s longtime boyfriend and fellow actor Lee Dong Hwi, host Yoo Jae Suk responded, “Dong Hwi called me. He said that he would work hard so that he could also make an appearance on ‘You Quiz on the Block.'”

Yoo Jae Suk most recently worked with Lee Dong Hwi on MBC’s “How Do You Play?” when the actor became a member of the project group MSG Wannabe. Jung Ho Yeon shared, “He was so proud after going on ‘How Do You Play?’ and doing well. That’s why I kept saying that I was going to at least appear on ‘You Quiz on the Block’ before him. I had no idea that would actually happen, but I came here first.” When asked how she felt about this, Jung Ho Yeon replied with a huge smile, “It was sweet.”

Spoiler

3.jpg

When asked about the biggest change in her life after “Squid Game,” Jung Ho Yeon answered, “I get a ton of commercial offers. It’s so fascinating. I’m being contacted by almost all the brands that the majority of people know.”

She also revealed that she had gained over 14 million followers on Instagram at the time of filming (though she now sits at 21.7 million as the most-followed Korean actress on the platform).

Many famous foreign stars have shown their love for “Squid Game” by following Jung Ho Yeon on Instagram, including Drew Barrymore, Pharrell Williams, Zendaya, and The Weeknd, with the latter even posting a photo of her and Lee Yoo Mi on his story. She excitedly commented, “I followed them back.”

2-1.jpg

However, she added, “While I’m so thankful, there was also a time when I cried in front of my friend out of fear. My friend told me then, ‘Snap out of it. It’ll disappear soon.’ Those words became courage for me. I’m trying to move forward while thinking that I should experience feeling all these emotions, then start anew.”

Jung Ho Yeon was asked about her transition from modeling into acting and she responded, “It’s true that I had a great career as a model. However, there were a lot of ups and downs within me. My career was rising overseas, but then I started to lose jobs one by one, and my shows were cancelled one by one. I experienced slowly drifting apart from that place. That was the moment I decided, ‘I have to officially try acting.'”

The actress continued, “Models have a lot of alone time. What you can do in that time is read or watch movies. From a certain point on, those became my hobbies. I thought that it’d be good if I could also try out these expressions, and I think escaping reality became my motivation.”

In a previous interview, Jung Ho Yeon touched on how nervous she was for her audition and that those nerves did not subside while filming. She explained, “I felt a lot of pressure, thinking, ‘Will I be able to do this?’ I don’t think I was able to escape that nervousness for a very long time.” She then expressed her gratitude to her co-star Lee Yoo Mi and added, “Thankfully, I had a friend named Yoo Mi by my side. I think we were able to endure it by leaning on each other.”

Jung-Ho-Yeon-1.jpeg

Looking back on the set of “Squid Game,” the actress shared, “The director is amazing. Even while filming the script that he wrote, he was always pondering and discussing it with other people. The atmosphere on set was so good. Lee Jung Jae always approached me comfortably.”

Yoo Jae Suk mentioned that Jung Ho Yeon had named her co-star Oh Young Soo as her role model, and the actress referred back to their tug-of-war scene. Expressing her admiration for the actor, she remarked, “He had a really long line, but he memorized it in one go and did it in one try without getting it wrong.”

Jung-Ho-Yeon-21.jpegJung-Ho-Yeon-31.jpeg

tvN’s “You Quiz on the Block” airs every Wednesday at 8:40 p.m. KST.

Source

• Like 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Squid Game” And Lee Jung Jae Nominated For 2021 Gotham Awards

Oct 22, 2021 by E. Cha

“Squid Game” and its star Lee Jung Jae have both been nominated for the 31st annual Gotham Independent Film Awards!

On October 21 local time, the Gotham Awards officially announced this year’s nominees, and the hit series “Squid Game” snagged two nominations.

“Squid Game” has been nominated for Breakthrough Series – Long Format (over 40 minutes), while star Lee Jung Jae is in the running for Outstanding Performance in a New Series.

Notably, the Gotham Awards has eliminated gendered acting awards for the first time this year, meaning that Lee Jung Jae will be facing competition from both male and female actors within the Outstanding Performance in a New Series category. The “Squid Game” star is up against Jennifer Coolidge (“The White Lotus”), Michael Greyeyes (“Rutherford Falls”), Ethan Hawke (“The Good Lord Bird”), Devery Jacobs (“Reservation Dogs”), Thuso Mbedu (“The Underground Railroad”), Jean Smart (“Hacks”), Omar Sy (“Lupin”), Anya Taylor-Joy (“The Queen’s Gambit”), and Anjana Vasan (“We Are Lady Parts”).

The 31st annual Gotham Awards ceremony will be held in New York on November 29. Check out the full list of nominees here!

Source

• Like 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

BTS, TXT, And “Squid Game” Nominated For 2021 People’s Choice Awards

Oct 28, 2021 by E. Cha

The 2021 People’s Choice Awards has officially announced this year’s nominees!

On October 27 local time, the People’s Choice Awards revealed its nominations for the upcoming award ceremony, which determines all of its awards through votes by the general public.

BTS snagged four nominations for three awards this year: in addition to being nominated for The Group of 2021, they are also in the running for The Song of 2021 (with their smash hit “Butter“) and The Music Video of 2021. Both BTS’s music video for “Butter” and their joint music video with Coldplay for their collab single “My Universe” have been nominated for The Music Video of 2021. (BTS won all three awards at the 2020 People’s Choice Awards last year.)

Meanwhile, TXT has been nominated for The New Artist of 2021, facing off against fellow nominees 24kGoldn, Bella Poarch, Giveon, Olivia Rodrigo, Rauw Alejandro, Tate McRae, and The Kid LAROI.

Finally, over in the TV category, the hit series “Squid Game” scored a nomination for The Bingeworthy Show of 2021. The other shows nominated this year are “Cobra Kai,” “Loki,” “Mare of Easttown,” “Outer Banks,” “Sex/Life,” “Ted Lasso,” and “The White Lotus.”

The 2021 People’s Choice Awards will air live on December 7 at 9 p.m. ET, and voting is open on their official website here until November 17. You can also check out the full list of nominees here!

Source

Spoiler

Edited by Chocolate

“Have you seen Space Jam 2?"

Burn! 🔥 Director is sensitive isn't he 😆 But it's understandable as it was his baby for 10 years and he worked very hard for it.

FCpV_H-WUAIHUqV?format=jpg&name=large

all_lakers_164x40_white.svg

Creator of Squid Game Has Hilarious Clap Back for LeBron James

LeBron James didn't like Squid Game's ending, but the creator claps shares a different view.

AJ GONZALEZ OCT 26, 2021

Squid Game has taken the world by storm over the past few weeks. People have binged it on Netflix quicker than you can say "hunger games." Recently, Laker super LeBron James was seen having a somewhat candid conversation about the show, expressing his distaste for the ending.

"Yeah, I did finish it," James said. "You finish it? You watched it? You done? Yeah, I didn’t like the ending though. I know they start it off with a Season 2, but, like, get on the f------ flight and go see your daughter, bro. Like, what are you doing?"

Hwang Dong-hyuk went through hell and back to get this show made, including over a decade of rejections. Going through all that to get your dream project produced means you can clap back at anyone, even global superstar LeBron James. Here is what he told The Guardian in a recent interview: 

“Have you seen Space Jam 2? LeBron James is cool and can say what he wants. I respect that. I’m very thankful he watched the whole series. But I wouldn’t change my ending. That’s my ending. If he has his own ending that would satisfy him, maybe he could make his own sequel. I’ll check it out and maybe send him a message saying, ‘I liked your whole show, except the ending.’”

Sick burn from Hwang. It's pretty funny and intended to be funny and in good faith, but let's address a few things. First, artists will always be sensitive about their art. Number two: Please Hollywood, this is not an invitation to make Space Jam 3.

Source: Sports Illustrated

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 2

“Squid Game” Star Heo Sung Tae Talks About Which Scene Was Scariest To Film, Reuniting With Lee Jung Jae In New Movie, And More

Nov 1, 2021 by E. Cha

Heo Sung Tae dished on his hit series “Squid Game” and more on the latest episode of “My Little Old Boy”!

During the October 31 broadcast of the popular SBS variety show, the “Squid Game” star made a guest appearance as a special MC. After seeing him in person, the celebrity moms cracked up the actor by observing that he looked “less scary” than they had expected based on his performance as the villainous Deok Su in “Squid Game.”

Host Shin Dong Yup asked if he could feel the massive change in his popularity since the release of “Squid Game,” and Heo Sung Tae responded, “Nothing has changed in my everyday life, since I only go back and forth between my home and the filming set. The biggest change is that my Instagram follower count has risen an unbelievable amount.” The show went on to reveal that he had gone from 10,000 followers to over 2.2 million in just one month.

When asked if he would consider joining a real-life “Squid Game” in a hypothetical situation where he had tons of debt and nothing left to live for, Heo Sung Tae replied, “I don’t think I’d be able to. I’d rather just spend the rest of my life paying off the debt. I think I’d be too scared to face death.”

Heo-Sung-Tae.jpg

After starring alongside Lee Jung Jae in “Squid Game,” Heo Sung Tae is reuniting with his co-star as actor-director for the upcoming film “Hunt,” which will mark Lee Jung Jae’s directorial debut. When asked if it felt different working with Lee Jung Jae this time around, Heo Sung Tae shared that they joked around more now that they had gotten closer.

“[During ‘Squid Game’], we mainly just talked so that we could act more comfortably,” he explained. “But now, we even greet each other differently. When I arrive on set, director Lee Jung Jae [jokingly bows] and says, ‘Oh, our global star has arrived!'”

Referencing the way his character addressed Lee Jung Jae’s in “Squid Game,” Heo Sung Tae went on, “Then I’ll [bow back] and say, ‘Ssangmun-dong, why are you being like this?’ We joke around like that. I think we’re getting even closer [as we work on ‘Hunt’].”

Heo-Sung-Tae-2.jpg

Heo Sung Tae also went on to reveal which scene in “Squid Game” was the hardest for him to film.

“I have a really severe fear of heights,” shared the actor. “It’s to the extent where I even have to stay in the middle when I walk on an overpass. So the [glass bridge scene] was really hard for me.”

“[The character of] Deok Su shouldn’t be scared,” he continued, “so I needed to pretend like I wasn’t terrified. But on the inside, I was trembling. Before the cameras started rolling, I’d [hold onto something and quiver in fear]. I’d only act when the cameras were rolling, and then as soon as they yelled ‘Cut,’ I’d go back to [holding onto something and shaking].”

When asked if they had really been that high up for filming, Heo Sung Tae revealed, “One take was filmed really high up, though there were safety measures in place. The rest of the takes were filmed about [3 meters (approximately 10 feet)] above the ground. But even that was scary. That was the scariest scene for me.”

Spoiler

My-Little-Old-Boy.jpgHeo-Sung-Tae-4.jpg

Source

Edited by Chocolate

“Squid Game” Players: A Guide To The Characters And Actors

Nov 6, 2021 by esmeel

The Korean drama “Squid Game” remains the talk of the town seven weeks after its initial release. Having become Netflix’s most watched TV show to date, it is only fair that we delve deeper into the main characters and the actors that played them in order to get to know them better.

Without further ado, here is a guide to the cast of “Squid Game” that took on player roles!

Warning: minor spoilers ahead.

Player 456 – Seong Gi Hun played by Lee Jung Jae

Sung-Gi-Hoon.jpg

Seong Gi Hun is a divorced father and a gambling addict with a massive amount of debt that keeps weighing down on him and his mother whom he lives with. When he learns that his ex-wife is taking their daughter to the United States, he joins the game for a chance to win the ultimate prize, clear his debts, and regain custody of his daughter.

Lee-Jung-Jae1.jpg

Lee Jung Jae kickstarted his career in the entertainment industry as a fashion model before he landed his first role in the school drama “Feelings” back in 1994. Throughout the years, he has had many successful movie roles, with “Along With The Gods: The Two Worlds,” “Along With The Gods: The Last 49 Days,” “The Thieves,” and “New World” being some of them, and his latest work to date being “Deliver Us From Evil” before joining the “Squid Game” cast. The actor mainly takes on action and thriller works, and his flawless portrayal in all of them is proof that he is the right choice for the role.

Check out Lee Jung Jae in “New World”:

WATCH NOW

Player 218 – Cho Sang Woo played by Park Hae Soo

Spoiler

Cho-Sang-Woo.jpg

Cho Sang Woo is a Seoul National University alumnus who used to have a respectable job as the team leader of an investment company. Following a series of bad investments that led him to steal from his clients and become wanted by the police, he takes part in the game to settle his colossal debt. There, he reunites with Seong Gi Hun who used to be his upperclassman in high school.

Park-Hae-Soo2.jpg

Park Hae Soo debuted as an actor in 2012 and participated in many dramas and films. Most notably, his role in “Quantum Physics” earned him the Best New Actor award at the 40th Blue Dragon Film Awards. Some of his drama works include “Six Flying Dragons,” “Legend of the Blue Sea,” “Prison Playbook” and more. His most recent work following “Squid Game” is “Chimera,” and he landed a role in the upcoming Korean remake of “Money Heist.” The actor’s excellent acting skills can be spotted throughout his various roles that he plays with equal dedication and genuineness.

Watch him in his ongoing drama “Chimera”:

WATCH NOW

Player 067 – Kang Sae Byeok played by Jung Ho Yeon

Spoiler

Kang-Sae-Byeok.jpg

Kang Sae Byeok is a North Korean defector who arrived to South Korea with her brother with a plan to also bring their mother along in their new home. Having lost the money she initially saved up to help her mother cross borders, her only chance to reunite her family is to play the game. Isolated and wary at first, she eventually joins Seong Gi Hun’s team as things start getting out of control.

Jung-Ho-Yeon2.jpg

Jung Ho Yeon’s portrayal of Kang Sae Byeok was so impressive that viewers would think she’s had quite an established acting career. The truth is, the new actress has been a model for her entire adult life since she started her modeling career in 2010, and she only set foot in the acting world through her role in “Squid Game.” Being the drama’s breakout star, we can only fervently wait for her upcoming roles!

Player 001 – Oh Il Nam played by Oh Young Soo

Spoiler

Oh-Il-Nam.jpg

Oh Il Nam is the game’s first and oldest player. Unlike the rest of the participants who joined in order to get rid of their burdensome debts, he had a different burden of his own: a brain tumor that is putting his life on countdown. He chooses to live the remaining days of his life as a participant as opposed to awaiting death outside. He is asked by Seong Gi Hun to join their team so that they keep an eye on him from the threats faced inside the building.

Oh-Young-Soo1.jpg

Oh Young Soo is a veteran actor who started as a theatre actor in 1967 and switched to film and television later in his career. He usually takes on monk roles since he is familiar with the role from his Buddhist plays. Some of his memorable monk roles are in “The Great Queen Seondeok” and “God of War.”

Watch the actor in “The Great Queen Seondeok”:

WATCH NOW

Player 199 – Ali Abdul played by Anupam Tripathi

Spoiler

Ali-Abdul.jpeg

Ali Abdul is a Pakistani migrant worker whose boss has been holding back his payment for months. He participates in the game to provide a decent standard of living for his wife and kid. His introduction on the show is memorable, and his first interaction with Seong Gi Hun is simply life-changing. If you don’t know what happened, it’s time to watch the show! No spoilers here!

Anupam-Tripathi1.jpg

Anupam Tripathi is an Indian actor living in Seoul who is currently finishing his master’s degree in acting at Korea National University of Arts. He’s had a handful of minor roles since 2014, but “Squid Game” marks his first main role. The role highlighted his mind-blowing emotional delivery onscreen, and he captivated the audience with his sincerity and devotion in portraying the role of Ali.

Player 101 – Jang Deok Su played by Heo Sung Tae

Spoiler

Jang-Deok-Su.jpg

Jang Deok Su is a criminal who finds himself in a pickle after being caught stealing from his boss. In order to pay his debts and save his life, he takes part in the squid game to win the grand prize. He is the main antagonist of the show, and his presence from the start screams trouble.

Heo-Sung-Tae.png

Heo Sung Tae’s career began with the talent show “Miraculous Audition.” His popularity skyrocketed when he took on the role of Ha Il Soo in the thriller “The Age of Shadows.” He’s had various movies and dramas since then such as “The Outlaws,” “Mal. Mo. E – The Secret Mission,” and “Different Dreams” until he joined the cast of “Squid Game.”

Watch him in “The Outlaws” below:

WATCH NOW

Player 212 – Han Mi Nyeo played by Kim Joo Ryoung

Spoiler

Han-Mi-Nyeo.jpg

Han Mi Nyeo is the female counterpart of Jang Deok Su, an obnoxious and cunning woman whose reason for joining the game was never fully disclosed. The only detail that was revealed about her were her fraud charges, which makes us think she is a con artist. Her presence in the game, despite being despicable, has been momentous for the storyline in unexpected ways.

Kim-Joo-Ryoung.png

Kim Joo Ryoung has been in various films and dramas since 2000, taking on small roles and cameos mostly. She rose to prominence with her edgy and daring role in “Squid Game.” The actress played her role to perfection when she brought the character of Han Mi Nyeo to life, which generated the wanted reaction from the audience.

Source

Edited by Chocolate