My Man Is Cupid 내 남자는 큐피드 [2023-2024]

I find myself more excited Cupid is out over Doggo @SilverMoonTea. I still haven't watched Doggo. 😅

Narrative-wise, there are some development, but not significant. It seems like Detective Seo is indeed Baek Ryun's Chosen One because the tarot card reader appears in her dream, and there was a sign that matches her dream. It's hard to take it as pure coincidence.

The biggest development is Baek Ryun saw the face of the killer at the convenience store. Using hypnosis, the police managed to draw a sketch. Another interesting matter here is, the killer is, as Sang Hyuk has deduced. He really was the same person because he has Sang Hyuk's photos from 1993 where he was a police. This clue now confirms the reason why Dae Sik knows Sang Hyuk. However, Sang Hyuk doesn't believe the killer looks like the sketch and the show has to end it where he joins the police team! Now how will Dae Sik explain to his team about Sang Hyuk?

@Tofu I'm hoping for some GIFs from the snowing scene at the near end. :pandapray:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

For sure Sang Hyuk was the police officer that reopened the case in 1993 as in Daesik’s recount. But Sang Huyk’s “refreshed” human persona now makes him younger than the when the case surfaced 30 years ago, so something must’ve made Sang Hyuk tell Daesik his actual identity. Yes, I’m also curious to know how he will explain who Sang Hyuk is to the rest of the investigation team. Of all the time-bending fantasy-and-murder dramas we are all concurrently watching now, I actually think this one has the most interesting and well put together narrative. I hope it doesn’t disappoint. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Sang Hyuk became a Detective to catch the 1993 serial killer. But is the timeline correct? When exactly did Yoon Chung Ah died? The Show is making becoming a police and being transfer to the correct team (homicide department) too easy, no?

Dae Shik and Sang Hyuk made up the excuse that the Detective that disappeared was Sang Hyuk's father. And the reason he disappeared was because it was his 28th time metamorphosis (not even sure what this means)...

And @gilaswan I think you hit the jackpot that Chung Ah is Baek Ryun's reincarnation. She did another hypnosis and saw memory of Chung Ah! But that only means she kept falling for Sang Hyuk!

MAJOR KYAAA SPOILER

Spoiler

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 2
  • Star Struck 1

ARGH! Episode 9's ending! *Bites a handkerchief*

It's confirmed that Baek Ryun is the reincarnation of Chung Ah, and now Sang Hyuk knows too. This pushed him to decide to shoot an arrow at her and Detective. But, I'm so worried he shot himself again, because I really don't understand how the arrow flew around and shot him 500 years ago.

That said, I'm getting concerned with the pacing. I'm not too fussed about it because I do enjoy watching Sang Hyuk brood, but I don't know about the rest of you.

---

Episode 10

Sang Hyuk really shot the arrow. He tried. But just at that moment, Baek Ryun dodges it! I think she's meant to dodge it.

Oh Baek Ryun was so stupid for not telling the police about the text messages. Is that cheater with the scratch mark really the killer? I think he's a red herring, with the Show showing us his scar.

I knew little actor Yoo Jin was in there for some reason! What type of God would be bigger than Samshin? He is the one who told past life Baek Ryun how to see the man she is meant to be, and she saw Cupid Sang Hyuk.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

@mademoiselle I’m finally watching ep 19 and popped in here cos I was wondering too if anyone like me was starting to feel the pacing is getting too slow. I’m starting to get bored - there’s little progression per episode and the characters seem to be acting uncharacteristically stupid now. Baek Ryeon is stupid for responding to the text. Sang Hyuk is being stupid for thinking Baek Ryeon could actually be an angel (can’t he tell? He’s melancholic but surely not dumb in being able to tell if a creature is human or not, right?). And Dong Gu has gone rogue stupid? Why does he suddenly want to get married? Isn’t there some kind of fundamental understanding he’s got about what can or cannot happen between human and faerie? Especially since they’ve got their wings clipped cos of Sang Hyuk. It’s like the story has suddenly gone stupid. The universe’s logic  seems off. 

So it would seem Sang Hyuk has liked Baek Ryeon before his arrow got accidentally misdirected to himself? How is it that he could not recognise her as the reincarnation of the palace maid each time? And this short term effect of cupid’s arrow is not the same for Sang Hyuk?

Also, for having skull fracture surgery, her hair is very much intact. That’s just so unbelievable. Ah wells. K-drama-(il)logic…

Edited by gilaswan
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I was wondering too if anyone like me was starting to feel the pacing is getting too slow. I’m starting to get bored there’s little progression per episode

Me!! 🙋🏻‍♀️ I haven’t been feeling there’s any progress even as early as ep.5. Thus not able to invest in any of the characters yet. 

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

On 12/30/2023 at 6:51 PM, mademoiselle said:

It's confirmed that Baek Ryun is the reincarnation of Chung Ah, and now Sang Hyuk knows too.

I actually a bit confused with their concept of reincarnation. So the school girl is also the maid reincarnation but she have the same face with the maid? I'm actually sometimes a bit face blind haha (I believe same actress right?).. Well if not same person they're look alike, well while BR looked very different with them. I was wishing BR was not the reincarnation, cos it felt like the love between them is something that destined and not that they liked each other for who they are. I think I'm just so tired with reincarnation trope 😅 I felt like one more drama with reincarnation stuff again this year and I will flip 🤪 

If the maid palace was played by Nana too, I think it will have more feeling. But it's played by different person. So I felt like SH kinda love different woman. Idk it's just messing up this whole drama for me. Other than this reincarnation stuff, I really like the comedy portion. I think it's really funny and so unserious. Even the side characters like the other cupids, detectives and Dora are fun to watch too. Probably had not had other Kdramas as funny as this, other than Behind Your Touch last year. 

15 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Also, for having skull fracture surgery, her hair is very much intact. 

Haha this cracked me up 😆

• Haha 3

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@SilverMoonTea Yeah, I had a lot of laughs for E10 from the hospital scenes onwards :laugh:. The funny bits make up with all the other flaws, and since I'm not taking this drama very seriously I'm not too fussed with the story-telling and I agreed it's become quite bad. It seems to be a trend these days for Writers/PDs to make female leads suddenly become an idiot and does stupid things.

All of Baek Ryun's reincarnations were played by different actress. The Palace Maid, in particular, is the same actress who portrayed the office lady having a one-sided crush on Bae In Hyuk in Park's Marriage Contract.

They are all a reincarnation of Baek Ryun. I think it was intentional not to be played by Nana, so the audience wouldn't guess Yoo Chung Ah, especially, is also a reincarnation of Baek Ryun.

This drama is too long for 16 episodes if it is only going to be focus on the main leads. Even if they did focus on the side characters, which is the other cupids, I can't say I am invested/liked them much to want to know. I'm only invested in Jang Dong Yoon himself, LOL.

The story-telling is messy for me for the world building of the Gods, Deity and Cupid (aka Fairies). They haven't really explained about what this Metamorphosis means. Is it just a process he had to go through to get his wings back, since he burnt them 500 years ago? And like @gilaswan had mentioned, why is Dong Gu dreaming of marrying a human when he knows he has to return to where he comes from? Or can they choose to be a human later on...? I find this part extremely unclear.

• Like 3

Episode 11-12

OK, we got a bit more clarity as to how the arrow backfired on Sang Hyuk 500 years ago. It was the little boy Deity "Courage" that turned it towards him. Courage told the Palace Maid she will find The One if she catches the petal, when she did, Sang Hyuk appeared in front of her. When Sang Hyuk's wings were burnt, Courage told her to take her own life and wait to be reunited with him later, and she only has two shots — as Chung Ah and Baek Ryun.

The editing for the Joseon scene is still very choppy, and the story doesn't flow well, especially the timeline between after Sang Hyuk saved her from being wounded by an arrow. She wasn't able to see him then, and had no idea who saved her. So how they eventually met (she was able to see him then) to consummating in the mill to her being crowned as concubine/queen of the King were not well-told.

I really don't like Dong Gu's love line with Baek Ryun's friend. She's starting to waver by him, but I honestly don't see how any woman could like him because he still acts/looks like a byeontae ahjussi more than anything with those big eyes. He hasn't mastered the skills of not scaring people away, either. I'm not convinced, and think this love line feel forced. If her mind change about him, it had to be because she started to get to know him better as a person, but I don't see that either.

As for the mysterious killer, looks like the drama suggested it might be a woman due to her height and sizes, and she has an accomplice which is Kim Myeong Sik. She is seen to have approached Baek Ryun directly, but we do not get to see the face. Kim Myeong Sik seems to be confident there will not be another murder, is it because she doesn't have him to help her, or she herself is the last sin "Jealousy". Baek Ryun is beautiful, successful as a vet and has a boyfriend. I think this can trigger some jealousy from others.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Episode 13-14

It is deliberate that the drama doesn't tell us what this metamorphosis thing is with our Cupids. Because Sang Hyuk was trying to explain/tell Baek Ryun about it in episode 14, but she kept cutting him off. In the end, we still don't quite know what the "last" metamorphosis is about for Sang Hyuk. ARGH.

And, the golden arrow has supposedly gone all gold again after Dong 7 and Dong 8 shot a lot of arrows after the escape. However, the golden arrow kept going cuckoo now. One moment the Cupids are becoming invisible and one moment they are back to normal. Dong 8 thinks it had something to do with them "missing a shot". Dong 7 missed a shot when he was aiming at Sang Hyuk; Dong 8 said he missed one too, but didn't reveal when or how. This golden arrow malfunctioning does not seem to affect Sang Hyuk.

Detective Seo now knows Sang Hyuk's identity, too. No progress after this, but at least he knows Sang Hyuk means no harm. Baek Ryun also remembers all of her past lives, including what the Deity Courage told her to do. She calls him little boy, so Sang Hyuk hasn't pinpoint who it is yet.

There is progress with the murder case! We finally have confirmation of the killer! Though we don't quite know how all things linked yet. I'm also a bit confused why all of a sudden Sang Hyuk went to check out the half-basement when he was remembering the older case. I thought the 7 sins were specific to women only, so I was surprised the suspect, Kim Myeong Sik, is the last victim for the 7th sin (Jealousy).

Looks like the murder case should ideally be solved in episode 15, and leaving at least 1.5 episode to tie up the loose ends. We still need to see Samshin vs Courage vs Sang Hyuk/Baek Ryun.

• Insightful 1

Episode 15

Whoaaaa! What is with the ending!?? The Show better has some logical, good reason to explain how one would survive that! One good thing about this show is, it often ended with a cliffhanger.

*spoiler alert*

Spoiler

Arghhhh! Sang Hyuk's metamophorsis began; he disappears, and Detective Seo's car exploded with Oh Baek Ryun in it.

OK, murder case isn't solved in this episode. Baek Ryun knows/suspects the killer, but I don't know if she told Detective Seo before all that happened. Even if she didn't, perhaps the police already knows who it is because they finally found his lair.

I'm still puzzled about the metamophorsis thingie, but Dong 8 finally tells the Sang Hyuk and Dong 7 there is a way to stop the metamophorsis. So I guess Dong 7 is the crucial person to shoot the arrow and help Sang Hyuk stop the metamophorsis.

Can't wait to watch the finale and see happy ending for the OTP. I'll miss good-looking JDY, even though chubby JDY is cute too.

Episode 16 Finale

Another drama where the male lead disintegrate into thin air :laugh:

I'm so speechless about this disppearing format, and the way they return is also somewhat similar. :laugh:

Nonetheless, I'm happy that after 500 years, the OTP found their happiness. And this one at least Sang Hyuk truly became a human and they have a family together.

I don't believe the drama provides explanation for how the world building of fairies work, which is annoying as always. The drama is definitely not the best, but I still enjoy it here and there. JDY looks great compared to his KBS2 drama so no complaint here.

And @SilverMoonTea friendship is on the line, you have to finish this :lmao2:

• Haha 2

@mademoiselle This is another one I'm trudging through. I don't know if I can reach the finishing line with this one either... The logic is lacklustre, they seem to have conveniently "chosen" persons to pop up suddenly with additional knowledge - like, why does Dongpal know how to stop the metamorphosis? And what good does that knowledge do? Until now, I still don't know why the 4 of them got tied up together. If Sanghyuk was the grandest of the 4 of them, it doesn't show - he seems to have the least understanding of them all when it comes to the nature of fairies... 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gilaswan said:

@mademoiselle This is another one I'm trudging through. I don't know if I can reach the finishing line with this one either... The logic is lacklustre, they seem to have conveniently "chosen" persons to pop up suddenly with additional knowledge - like, why does Dongpal know how to stop the metamorphosis? And what good does that knowledge do? Until now, I still don't know why the 4 of them got tied up together. If Sanghyuk was the grandest of the 4 of them, it doesn't show - he seems to have the least understanding of them all when it comes to the nature of fairies... 

Yeah, agreed about how Dong 8 knew this. Potentially from his own experience, but the drama really didn't care to share with us much about the backstories of these fairies/cupids. Like, dude, if my man is a Cupid... I'd have hundred thousands of curious questions to ask! However, none of the girls (FL and her BFF) bother to ask questions!

• Haha 1