Ning An Ru Meng / Story of Kunning Palace 宁安如梦 [2023]

@abs-oluteM  Give this drama a chance chingu. It is addictive and you will like it because it does have some mystery to it.  @40somethingahjumma   come here too 

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

• 2 weeks later...

I like it. It's a good watch and I didn't realise there's a detective element. I waited 10 episodes to see Zhang Zhe. Okay not bad. I can see what the fuss is. 

I really like Zhang Linghe in this more than My Journey to You. I gave up on that one rather early. This is decently paced.

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

All done. 

Very decent ending for a C drama. Overall not a bad show. Has resonances of Nirvana in Fire and Lost Love in Time. A second chance revenge redressing justice type of show. Doesn't have the gravitas of NiF but the plotting is still decent and there are enough interesting characters to make watching through the roster worthwhile. The pacing somewhere in the middle loses momentum slightly.

I'm probably one of those weird people that's ambivalent about the final pairing and romance. Can't muster much enthusiasm for it.

But it's definitely a show made for a younger audience.

• Like 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/15/2023 at 10:13 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Easy. Because the script wanted both of them to.

I came here because I like Wang Xing Yue after seeing him in a supporting role in Amidst A Snowstorm of Love. I am currently watching Scent of Time. He's got this presence to him that is pretty admirable for someone his age. I know here he is the 2nd lead...how is his screen time?

• Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

10 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I came here because I like Wang Xing Yue after seeing him in a supporting role in Amidst A Snowstorm of Love. I am currently watching Scent of Time. He's got this presence to him that is pretty admirable for someone his age. I know here he is the 2nd lead...how is his screen time?

Oooh... is he in that? Oooh... I have to get to it ASAP. 

He is barely in Kunning Palace for the first 10 episodes (mostly in flashbacks) and then he's in it a fair bit for the next 10 and then is hardly in it afterwards.

This is one of the rare occasions that I suffer from 2ML syndrome.

• Awesome 1

On 2/19/2024 at 8:59 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Oooh... is he in that? Oooh... I have to get to it ASAP. 

He is barely in Kunning Palace for the first 10 episodes (mostly in flashbacks) and then he's in it a fair bit for the next 10 and then is hardly in it afterwards.

This is one of the rare occasions that I suffer from 2ML syndrome.

In Scent of Time, he is supposedly the male lead but we don't get many of the leads' interactions given the complicated relationship they have . And if I hadn't read spoilers, I would be wondering who the ML is since this is one of those reverse harem shows (like this one). But whatever scenes they have together is pretty electrifying ( at least for me ). He falls first, and does a lot for her without her knowledge. There are plenty of conflicted opinions about this drama especially its ending, who she should have been with etc but I love it so far ( am at 23 out of 30 episodes) . The story is very much about her - one of those redemption type stories, and fortunately I really like the FL. She is intelligent but conniving and a little sly- she understands how to play her cards well ( am a sucker for such heroines) .

Spoiler

She is his "sister-in-law" for a good half of the show :laugh:

• Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

8 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

In Scent of Time, he is supposedly the male lead but we don't get many of the leads' interactions given the complicated relationship they have . And if I hadn't read spoilers, I would be wondering who the ML is since this is one of those reverse harem shows (like this one). But whatever scenes they have together is pretty electrifying ( at least for me ). He falls first, and does a lot for her without her knowledge. There are plenty of conflicted opinions about this drama especially its ending, who she should have been with etc but I love it so far ( am at 23 out of 30 episodes) . The story is very much about her - one of those redemption type stories, and fortunately I really like the FL. She is intelligent but conniving and a little sly- she understands how to play her cards well ( am a sucker for such heroines) .

Hide contents

She is his "sister-in-law" for a good half of the show :laugh:

The show is watchable until the last couple of episodes. The last episode in particular makes me wish that I hadn't watched the show. If the show was going to go down the road, it should have changed course sooner. But I did like it for the leads.

• Clapping Hands 1

16 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The show is watchable until the last couple of episodes. The last episode in particular makes me wish that I hadn't watched the show. If the show was going to go down the road, it should have changed course sooner. But I did like it for the leads.

Yes, agreed. So annoyed with how rushed the last episode was given that this ending wasn't an afterthought; it was constantly hinted at throughout given how she always smelled some incense. I was disappointed with how things played out between them in the last few episodes. But I think if they ended at eps 29 , I would still find it an acceptable realistic ending. Kind of ridiculous to throw in eps 30 - makes no sense.

Anyhow, he's a pretty good actor for his age and I will try to check this one out. 1.5 speed will be my friend at irrelevant episodes :laugh:. I just started this silly idol type youth drama where he was the ML and lets see how long I last!

https://mydramalist.com/77477-first-time-love-you-its-not-too-late

@NiteWalker Hahahah...you are here for Meng Xiao Dong too. I wished he had more development there. 

• Clapping Hands 1