One Dollar Lawyer 천원짜리 변호사 [2022]

Tofu

19 hours ago, Tofu said:

@LaLa Really?! I haven't watched episode 11 yet but that doesn't make me excited to see it. I guess I'll wait until Friday or Saturday to watch episode 11. If they were going to rush the drama, why did they drop it down from the original 16 episodes? 

I think it was originally scheduled for 14 episodes. Then dropped to 12 - think they were already lagging in filming for the show ( NGM caught Covid and later on was also getting married ) , so maybe the filming schedule all went haywire. Regardless , I feel SBS really did this drama a disservice. For a show that was doing so well ratings wise & was popular , it was weird to cut episodes. 

Ep 11 wasn't so bad at parts since I think JH needed to find a real purpose to continue being the $1000 lawyer. He realised that if he was fueled by revenge, it would not be what JY would have wanted. But I do agree with @ktcjdrama @LaLaabout the episodes being like fillers because this arc should have been done a lot earlier and not when the drama plans to end next week. And just when he has found JY's killer , it felt so anti-climax that he would suddenly run off 

So I cannot remember  but does JH know now that MR is Chairman's Baek's granddaughter - I am sure he does given how high profile the Baek law firm is but does she know he knows ? Also I feel it so strange that her grandfather would be so willing to let her rejoin JH. That part doesn't add up. Plus having MY quit from being a prosecutor and then join the Baek law firm also does not seem to add value to the plot. I guess, he and sunbae prosecutor won't even have a chance of developing and it seems he is still into MR after all this time? 

• Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@Tofu yeah I think it's better to wait and watch ep 11 when the last episode air either on Friday or Saturday ( I don't know about their schedule anymore). 

@abs-oluteM NGM got covid way back before he got married, didn't he? I think it was shared in the news before the drama press conference? And less than 2 weeks after his recovery (if we count that he did the mandatory 1 week quarantine) we got the news that he got married. If the filming was done at least halfway and they were filming the few last episodes during the premier, I think 14 episodes could still be possible, no need to cut 2 episodes. Well we still don't know what happened behind the scenes but I think since episode 9, the drama flow felt a little bit strange. 

If they really want to cut scenes, they should have just shorten the painting case, cut the unnecessary scenes like the comedy with the the landlady and their rent etc. The one year gap and the explanation about JH needed the time to think about his reasons for being a 1000 won lawyer should be the end of episode 10. 

8 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

So I cannot remember  but does JH know now that MR is Chairman's Baek's granddaughter - I am sure he does given how high profile the Baek law firm is but does she know he knows ? Also I feel it so strange that her grandfather would be so willing to let her rejoin JH. That part doesn't add up. Plus having MY quit from being a prosecutor and then join the Baek law firm also does not seem to add value to the plot. I guess, he and sunbae prosecutor won't even have a chance of developing and it seems he is still into MR after all this time?

I think he knew because probably he investigated Chairman Baek deeper after knowing the possibility he might took part as powerful company. The law firm representing JQ after all and then the case he build up about the missing slush fund was suddenly closed by the prosecutor higher ups after the death of his father. And yeah I guess there's no budding romance since MH quit to be a lawyer and still trying to get MR attention 

• Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

On 11/7/2022 at 3:26 PM, LaLa said:

@abs-oluteM yes that's the actor that I have in my mind since ep 10.. 

@Tofu @ktcjdrama I don't think he has appeared in a lot of dramas or probably I watched less drama who included his as part of the cast.. I remember his face and voice but not the actor name. Sorry sir 

One Dollar Lawyer-Joo Suk-Tae.jpg

Isn't this the ultimate villian? The killer should be secondary to this guy.

I thought Ji Hun won the auction for dinner with him. He knows this is the guy who killed his father and he didn't go for the dinner? But instead disappeared through the time jump? 😵

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I thought Ji Hun won the auction for dinner with him. He knows this is the guy who killed his father and he didn't go for the dinner? But instead disappeared through the time jump? 😵

IKR ...like he place such a high bid and is this close to finding JY's killer , and he quits ...it boggled my mind. 

But check out this article, clashes between the production company and the writers.

@LaLa

https://kbizoom.com/the-discord-issue-between-studio-s-and-the-writers-of-one-dollar-lawyer-and-how-it-affects-the-drama/

Spoiler

Studio S, an outsourced production company created by drama producers who were SBS employees, generally reacted differently to the criticism that they were handling “One Dollar Lawyer” too carelessly. It succeeded in casting a trustworthy name, Nam Goong Min, while the audience rating exceeded expectations and the early reaction was very good. However, it is said that the conflict between Studio S and the writers arose from the scripts of the 5th and 6th episodes, and there was an unnecessary war of nerves. This is what caused the late script delivery, request for correction, and delay in filming.

Excessive PPL was also one of the reasons. As they have become executives of a new production company who have to survive, not PDs who get paid regularly by the broadcasting station, they have placed excessive product placements in “One Dollar Lawyer” and deepened their conflict with the writers. A PPL staff said, “I doubted my own eyes when seeing ‘One Dollar Lawyer’ because several blatant PPLs appeared right from the beginning of the drama, which seemed to be advertising openly.”

In fact, various PPLs such as mixed coffee, jjimdak, lamb intestines, and health functional foods appeared constantly in “One Dollar Lawyer”. It was unusual for the main actors to participate directly in promoting the PPL, compared to the supporting actor’s blunt mention of the products.

However, PPL cannot be seen as the production company’s fault. In order to raise production costs that are far short because the broadcaster does not support the entire planned production cost, they need sponsorship and PPL. Therefore, more and more scripts are going to Netflix, which pays for the entire production cost and is not involved in the scripts or the show’s editing. A representative example was ENA’s “Extraordinary Attorney Woo.”

There is also controversy related to the OTT platform Disney+. “One Dollar Lawyer” sold its broadcasting rights to Wavve and Disney+. Especially thanks to Disney Plus, the show ranked first in Taiwan and second in Singapore. However, during the contract process, many complained that Studio S did not consider any native OTT website due to a joint venture between the three terrestrial broadcasters and SK Telecom.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 11/9/2022 at 9:52 PM, ktcjdrama said:

Mystery solved.... there were indeed some internal disputes that led to the episode cuts. Really unfortunate 😔

But SBS denies it of course....

New stills...so JH finally comes face to face with the real mastermind

FhSUI9RagAAM26l?format=png&name=900x900

• Like 2

Okay I was not planning or thinking to watch the last episode live, but somehow I happened to across the stream site and open SBS channel. :GrowDerp:

I might write more when the sub is out and I watched it again. Or maybe not too.:MewGiggle:

We'll see  Hmmm ep 12 is really a fast one because they have to cram and solve everything while also put some comedy scenes inside. I think the director, writer and all staffs and of course the actor did their best to deliver the script as much as they can within the time allotted. I still think maybe we will get more explanation and can explore more for 2 more episodes, but with how fast they wrapped and solved it in ep 12, I think I can say that it's good enough. 

Villain got their undue punishment. Our prosecutors team with HJ as the lead cooperated with JH for trapping the big boss. By making the boss played according to their plan (despite of some dangerous acts) JH really played the big boss to his plan. I guess his 1 year off is actually for planning session that we are not privy to. But about the sudden move of MH from prosecutor to lawyer and somehow because he witnessed something bad in his short lawyer life, he wanted to go back as prosecutor again? And MR just can go back and forth to the Baek firm like she owned it and even Chairman opened his own computer for her to access. Hmmm strange but I guess because they decided to cut it, we didn't get any drama about this and just put it away like that. 

Unexpected cameo by Jung Moon Sung at the end episode did make me laugh. I guess he appeared because he have worked together with NGM and KJE in the previous work? Although I didn't watch that drama but I think I saw the pictures. 

@abs-oluteMthanks for the link. I didn't open it but I did read the one that you put under spoiler. About the PPL, well it was so true. The advertisement were so blatantly put out that I even stopped for a moment to think whether this drama was aired in big 3 or a cable channel. Even several dramas from cable channel that I watched didn't blatantly put out the PPL like that. The chicken and coffee I could understand if it appears once or twice. But for them to promote and even describe the products itself almost completely especially the lead characters :pandahehe:

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

8 hours ago, LaLa said:

Unexpected cameo by Jung Moon Sung at the end episode did make me laugh. I guess he appeared because he have worked together with NGM and KJE in the previous work?

😃 He is best friend with NGM. Was the MC for his wedding. They also worked together in Good Manager. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@LaLa @ktcjdrama @Chocolate I finished the show. It felt so flat - even when he finally got the evidence to put Choi Ki Seok behind bars. Somehow the brilliance or uniqueness of the way cases were solved in the early episodes were lost on the later ones. A shame really because Nam Goong Min hard carried this show for me. 

Two things that bothered me:

1. Min Seok leaving the prosecution & returning just as he realised that he didn't want to be part of the dirty things that Choi Ki Seok does. Each time just done in a few seconds.  Clearly MS's character & arc became collateral damage of these slashed episodes. Like why even bother having his character? And what happened to his dad?

2. It was very convenient to clear MR's grandfather of being the possible villain. Actually, it would be more emotionally charged if he was the mastermind instead of this Choi guy who ended up being a such a one dimensional villain. Plus this will then give MR's character more depth as she will  be truly tested on her morals & convictions as a lawyer. Sad to say MR's character also remained quite 2-D given that she is the lead cast. 

Anyway, it was an okayish ending given all the production issues the drama had to go through. Let's hope the next NGM drama will have a more decent finish. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

If this was the intended ending from the start, then I think this could have been shortened to 10 episodes! Really can’t imagine what would have gone into 16.

On 11/12/2022 at 1:21 PM, abs-oluteM said:

@LaLa @ktcjdrama @Chocolate I finished the show. It felt so flat - even when he finally got the evidence to put Choi Ki Seok behind bars. Somehow the brilliance or uniqueness of the way cases were solved in the early episodes were lost on the later ones. A shame really because Nam Goong Min hard carried this show for me. 

Agree. Think it felt off after the 2 episodes of JH’s back story.

I also don’t think I want season 2 😂

• Clapping Hands 3
9 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I also don’t think I want season 2 😂

I would not want a second season if the second half of the drama is direction they're going. I think the drama lost its spark after JH's background story, which is a bummer because I initially enjoyed the drama at the beginning. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1