One Dollar Lawyer 천원짜리 변호사 [2022]

Tofu

On 9/15/2022 at 4:57 AM, stroppyse said:

So, either I go to the dark side to watch. 

Hahaha the dark side :smile: 

On 9/25/2022 at 10:48 AM, Tofu said:

I am enjoying this drama so much. I hope other people consider adding it to their watch list too! 

I'll start this one tonight! I feel drawn because I do like legal dramas. But more than that I like cheap professional & con-artist type dramas (not that he's a con, but with cheap price tag feels like it is). This one even has one dollar in the title so it's a total bargain :laugh:

Also I've fallen too deep into the sugar pit with romances (which is not a bad thing, but you can just get stuck there!) and so I need a palette cleanser and this looks like a fun one :heiboi:

3 hours ago, Min86 said:

Just finished watching ep two and I can't believe I am once again watching a Law themed drama. NGM is as always a delight to watch and I was laughing so much at the ending of ep 2. 

I guess, I will be joining all of you here for this! 

I love NGM. I cannot wiith his deadpan-ness and humour :wow::laugh:

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

15 hours ago, JenL said:

I love NGM. I cannot wiith his deadpan-ness and humour 

Me, too. I've really come to appreciate him!

What I need to do is have a separate device that I can wipe clean at will in order to watch dark side dramas. They are just soooo virus laden, not to mention pop-ups and cookies galore. Even if I disable all of it, they get around the blocks somehow.

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 9/26/2022 at 6:27 AM, Min86 said:

Just finished watching ep two and I can't believe I am once again watching a Law themed drama. NGM is as always a delight to watch and I was laughing so much at the ending of ep 2. 

I guess, I will be joining all of you here for this! 

I just finished the 2nd episode & it was hilarious. It was somewhat crazy but it is such an unorthodox way of making sure that awful President Cheon doesn't get to bully the guard further, and it will be MR's first training too. 

MR does come across rather entitled but she isn't all bad. She's quite fiesty too, though she'll need some lessons in eating humble pie from time to time. Our Mr One Dollar Lawyer is the perfect person to train her. Can see why her grandfather sent her there. Working for him will teach her how to think in an unorthodox way. 

@JenL Watch watch! Very fun premiere episodes

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I had a blast with the first couple of episodes because of Namgoong Min of course. He's always good value even if the show he's in isn't. I love his entire look here. The hairstyle, the suits, sunglasses, the whole shebang. It reminds me of his role in The Undateables. 

But I am surprised that the pickpocket's case even went to court. It was a nothing burger. He was right. The presumption of innocence. Beyond reasonable doubt. All those rudimentary legal principles. There was no evidence except one man's word against another. 

The last 10 minutes of Episode 2 had me chuckling. Looking forward to seeing more.

What's the matter with K dramaland? Why is there such a glut of legal dramas all of a sudden?

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Clapping Hands 4

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Drama popularity in local citizen is getting higher. Episodes 3 reach scored an average nationwide rating of 12.9 %, breaking into the double digits :Party01:

In episode 3, we see the conclusion of the previous case. JH helped MR realised that even as lawyer, you can help the client in other way and still within the law. Going to trial is all good and possibility for win against the lawsuit is there, however the cost and the time that it will take, needs to be considered as well. While she still feels not completely agree with JH method of thinking and solving the lawsuit, she agreed to reconsider her way and follow and help him to win the case. 

It's actually a little bit nerve-wracking watching the bingo match.. I am afraid somehow they will lose. But when JH chose MR as to be the one who called a number, ah he does have a plan then. What a relief that MR still remember all that laws article correctly and helped them to win the match. :pandachamp:

And what's with the sudden pretty comments from JH hmm? Was it because the alcohol or will there be a romance between the two? I prefer for them to bicker as senior and junior.. Didn't see any potential romance as of yet.. Partner in crime, yes but for romance :thinking:

• Clapping Hands 4

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

MR had a valuable lesson in eps 3...the battle is not always won in court. Securing the client's best interest is the priority. This bingo episode was hilarious! Though MR and Mr Sa were so nervous that they were relying on luck to determine the fates of so many, Cheon Ji Hyun knew that this would make a lot more sense compared to long drawn out court battles. After all these court cases don't necessarily translate to better outcomes - the risk is similar to that of bingo game.

@LaLa While I have no issues with Kim Ji Eun playing MR, I don't feel a romantic chemistry here with NGM. I like the mentor - mentee relationship but I have my reservations if they are gonna push for a romance. What more with Min Hyeok as the love triangle though it is  nice to see Choi DaeHoon playing such a hopeless romantic here. LOL.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 9/27/2022 at 6:39 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

What's the matter with K dramaland? Why is there such a glut of legal dramas all of a sudden?

Everyone went to law school this year in K-Dramaland. I lost count of how many law dramas I've watched (and ignored for that reason). I think One Dollar Lawyer and May It Please the Court are two of the superior dramas with a law theme this year. I watched Again My Life, but I don't think it was as enjoyable as these two. 

@LaLa @abs-oluteM I don't want any romance too. Ma Ri needs to grow up a little and right now she refuses to try to understand things from Ji Hun's perspective. I prefer to watch them together as partners. 

I wasn't as bothered by Ma Ri in the first two episodes, but there were many moments of frustration in the recent one episodes. I hope she starts to open her views and stop judging cases/people before she gets to know them. It's a very narcissist way of thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3
12 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

What more with Min Hyeok as the love triangle though it is  nice to see Choi DaeHoon playing such a hopeless romantic here. LOL.

He reminded me of his character in crash landing on you, just a little bit. Although his character in here seems to be lots of smarter since he's a prosecutor. He's such a daddy boy hahaha... Most of adult men usually won't address their father as ' daddy ' when they've grown up, however since they are quite close and probably got spoiled by the father, he can't help but to slip up to call him daddy instead of the formal way. 

12 hours ago, Tofu said:

@LaLa @abs-oluteM I don't want any romance too. Ma Ri needs to grow up a little and right now she refuses to try to understand things from Ji Hun's perspective. I prefer to watch them together as partners. 

I wasn't as bothered by Ma Ri in the first two episodes, but there were many moments of frustration in the recent one episodes. I hope she starts to open her views and stop judging cases/people before she gets to know them. It's a very narcissist way of thinking. 

I'm just guessing but probably because of her recent probationary work as prosecutor and they way she has been living so far, it can't be helped that she thought that way. Although I do hope that once she worked longer with JH, she will start to be a better woman and a better lawyer. Up until now she still can't shed the prosecutor mode and really stick to the rules book. Well it can't be helped. Even Mr Sa, who have worked longer also had his prejudice at first, but because he believed in (or might be not as well) JH way of thinking, he helped to investigate with the benefit of the doubt for now. 

And yes, the mouth covering at the end episodes, I hope it won't be a hint or something about the development of romance. I really wish those two just stay as partner in crime only and no romance because I see no spark at all. Mischievous and comedian? Yes. Romantic partners? :KittyBan:

• Clapping Hands 4

Currently Watching List:

K-variety: 

@Tofu @LaLa It really does seem like they want to have some love line in eps 4. Or perhaps they are just teasing us. Plus with  Minyeok (Choi Dae Hoon) being hopelessly in love with MR, we're even gonna get a love triangle?

But anyhow, the 4th episode's case was interesting - a bit more high profile than the earlier cases. I wonder who that knifed man is? The artist who didn't die? Actually this show has a kind of slapstick to it, and I can see that the local audience will love it - may not appeal as much to international audience.

:laugh:

FeI9nXLUUAE8WN4?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I started this one finally. And enjoying it a lot. Reminded me of his role in Chief Kim, but can see that it is quite distinct. I really like seeing NGM being cheeky. 

Interestingly, the cases so far involved small children. As seen also near his neighborhood. He seems to have a soft spot for them. I wonder if there’s a reason behind this. 

• Like 2
  • Party! 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

10 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Interestingly, the cases so far involved small children. As seen also near his neighborhood. He seems to have a soft spot for them. I wonder if there’s a reason behind this.

Ooo didn't strike me till you mentioned it.

Wait till these two meet & battle it out...

FeeXJM8VQAAUW7k?format=png&name=small

Lee Je Hoon will cameo as a top star! He also cameo-d in Stove League
115849989.1.jpg

By the way NGM got married. Congrats to him. :hearties:

Spoiler

• Awesome 1
  • Party! 3

So, I realised one thing about you gals. When you like the leads, you are rooting for romance. When you don't like the lead/s, the romance becomes unnecessary 😁 as shown in May It Please The Court vs One Dollar Lawyer. Objectivity gals! 😅

I agree though that Kim Ji Eun is quite ordinary here. She was ok in Veil and Again My Life. Here, she is a bit one-dimensional - always the same eye roll/squint/lip curl/expression? An actress with more sass would have matched NGM better.

The current case in ep 4/5 is interesting. I'm still not sure if he is or is not the killer haha. Looks like he is protecting someone though.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:45 PM, LaLa said:

He reminded me of his character in crash landing on you, just a little bit. Although his character in here seems to be lots of smarter since he's a prosecutor.

Choi Dae Hoon is again, a joy to watch. Loved the scene in the interview room with Kim Min Jae. He comes in smiling and bumbling around. But ah, he's sharp. If there is romance, I hope he gets Mari. Alas, that's destined to be like Start-up 😆.

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I agree though that Kim Ji Eun is quite ordinary here. She was ok in Veil and Again My Life. Here, she is a bit one-dimensional - always the same eye roll/squint/lip curl/expression? An actress with more sass would have matched NGM better.

Really? I thought the opposite. I haven't watched Again My Life (despite my love for LJK... sorry oppaaaa) so I can't say. I thought her acting is better here than in The Veil. Anyway, from preview of next episode, we're getting another reunion of NGM with his past co-star, Lee Chung Ah, from drama Awaken.

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

15 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Really? I thought the opposite. I haven't watched Again My Life (despite my love for LJK... sorry oppaaaa) so I can't say. I thought her acting is better here than in The Veil.

Veil and Again My Life are not standout characters. She did decently in those. I liked her well enough there.

But here, she could have stood out if she was better. As it is, it would be a forgettable role. But partly, the dialogue for her is also not great - no snippy comebacks to NGM most of the time, so it's on the writer too.

This reminds that you and I don't agree on Park Shin Hye as well 😂

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

But partly, the dialogue for her is also not great - no snippy comebacks to NGM most of the time, so it's on the writer too.

This I agree. It’s usually the exasperated expressions, but I imagine that’s how it would be in the Manga. So it is acceptable for me. I thought her acting is pretty good here so not understanding why many people (esp.in the Chinese forums) are saying she cannot act. 

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

This reminds that you and I don't agree on Park Shin Hye as well

Haha, I don’t remember anymore. Was it in Sisyphus? She is decent actress, not the greatest. I guess I am just used to watching her since long time ago, and she could induce tears from me, so good enough.

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

On 10/4/2022 at 12:48 PM, abs-oluteM said:

we're even gonna get a love triangle?

Probably in Min Hyuk mind only. With his creative imagination (like when he imagined purposing to her), I think we will have another comedy about that lol

On 10/8/2022 at 2:36 PM, Chocolate said:

So, I realised one thing about you gals. When you like the leads, you are rooting for romance. When you don't like the lead/s, the romance becomes unnecessary 😁 as shown in May It Please The Court vs One Dollar Lawyer. Objectivity gals! 😅

Because the spark that I'm looking for was happening not in the present time but in the past.. The spark with the leading lady, to me just a mentor and mentee. While in our shih tzu lawyer, she's already a formidable lady with her own capability. In my opinion, She just need a nudge and reminder to become a good person that she originally was.

I do hope it's not just a flashback and we can see something in present time too. The grave JH visited at the end of ep 6 seems to be his father grave. 

I guess when people build a building, after finishing it they have to lock the roof with passcode door with iris scan or voice recognition or something else so that it won't be a place to jump off... 

It's interesting to see that actually the one who started the small lawyer office in a small old cafe was not JH. Although the craziness of his way getting evil people to get their justice seemed to be a born trait because he also did that while he's a prosecutor :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching List:

K-variety: 

10 hours ago, LaLa said:

Because the spark that I'm looking for was happening not in the present time but in the past.. The spark with the leading lady, to me just a mentor and mentee. While in our shih tzu lawyer, she's already a formidable lady with her own capability. In my opinion, She just need a nudge and reminder to become a good person that she originally was.

Exactly. I also feel NGM and KJE have a mentor/mentee feel. The romance would feel quite forced. There was a recent article in koreaboo that said that NGM put in a good word for KJE to get role for The Veil. Partly because he himself also had to wait a long time for his big break (2003 to 2017 The Good Manager).

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/kim-ji-eun-nam-goong-min-special-relationship/

Now, the chemistry between JH and the Baek lawyer is quite good! Just shows, sometimes, they really don't need to talk too much. Makes me want to continue Awaken now 😂

Thoroughly enjoyed the flashback episodes to when JH was a prosecutor. I think we could see it coming from a mile away that he was not going to be successful with the case and it would be the cause of him leaving the prosecution. Guess this is now his prime goal as a $1 lawyer. (Just wondering who is his rich backer that got him that very expensive painting.)

Edit: Oh no! Ep 8 is so sad! So that’s why he left the prosecution and the 360 degree change in outward presentation. Sigh, I never understand why people don’t just take a photo of important papers and just send it immediately 🙄

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
21 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Edit: Oh no! Ep 8 is so sad! So that’s why he left the prosecution and the 360 degree change in outward presentation. Sigh, I never understand why people don’t just take a photo of important papers and just send it immediately 🙄

But it doesn't explain his quirks.. maybe losing the people he loved and admire just in the span of 2 years snap him to the point he is almost crazy? But I'm glad that it looks like it just a fake since when he's inside his own room, we do see the cold and serious prosecutor that he used to be. 

About the paper, maybe she took some snap and the killer took her phone too. Although the probability is also small hahaha. What's with people in drama that could not keep paper inside their bag and instead holding it around, waiting for wind or anything to make it fly out of their hands... :idk:

What I also don't understand is that people instead of calling help for JY, they just stared and ran away. She lost too much blood because of that. And for JH to know that the fake culprit didn't even realize him, I wonder if they have brushed in the past as well :thinking: either way sus person who originally have the documents was someone from Baek. 

Sigh the sparks only last for 2 episodes.. when I thought that she might secretly lived outside somewhere, the writer killed her character :cry:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Currently Watching List:

K-variety: 

Ending of ep.7 and ep.8 made me cry... NGM did the crying without sound really well. 

Does the Korean subway system has no emergency button installed?? No one thought about pushing it when they saw someone bleeding?? 

I have also enjoyed the short flashback on the back story of how JH took over the law firm and his romance. After seeing that, all the more I hope they won't have any love line in present time. Same feeling here, I only get the mentor mentee vibe as well. Please don't force a romance there because it will make this backstory we saw in ep.7-8 became less meaningful. 

On 10/15/2022 at 12:40 PM, Chocolate said:

Sigh, I never understand why people don’t just take a photo of important papers and just send it immediately

Me too. Why need to wait till meeting in person for crucial and urgent info like that... 

On 10/15/2022 at 12:40 PM, Chocolate said:

Now, the chemistry between JH and the Baek lawyer is quite good! Just shows, sometimes, they really don't need to talk too much. Makes me want to continue Awaken now

:laugh: I forgot, did I even finish that? Once the real relationship was revealed, I kinda lost interest in watching too hahahaaa...

Yeah... no much word needed for true chemistry, and acting. I was thinking NGM practically had no line to say for so many scenes in ep.8.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

On 10/8/2022 at 3:36 PM, Chocolate said:

Choi Dae Hoon is again, a joy to watch. Loved the scene in the interview room with Kim Min Jae. He comes in smiling and bumbling around. But ah, he's sharp. If there is romance, I hope he gets Mari. Alas, that's destined to be like Start-up 😆.

I am finally catching up on this show and just caught eps 5. Here to comment on this scene too.  It's the psychology that they both were playing that was so great. CDH is such a good actor & holds his own against NGM. In fact I think the men have more chemistry with each other than with Kim Ji Eun. I preferred her character in The Veil ...here the writing for MR is quite one-dimensional.

I agree that the case isn't as simple as him killing his mother.  My guess is that he may have killed the father because he was angry the father killed the mother. Just my speculation at this point. 

edit:  Scratch that. Just realised the mother is step mum & that he's the real son to the artist. I mixed up thinking it was the other way round.

And since I know Lee Chung Ah cameo is just round the corner for me...please don't watch Awaken expecting anything between her and NGM.  Their chemie there , and possibly here is fire but you'll be traumatized when you find out what happened in Awaken. :BulbaConfused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

I agree that the case isn't as simple as him killing his mother.  My guess is that he may have killed the father because he was angry the father killed the mother. Just my speculation at this point. 

edit:  Scratch that. Just realised the mother is step mum & that he's the real son to the artist. I mixed up thinking it was the other way round.

Wahhhh the way that entire case turned out was not something I could have guessed. I had a feeling it was to protect someone but I didn't think it was his sister who was the actual murderer.

Also, I was wondering how JH was able to afford running his business the way he does. And how clearly he bought KMJ"s painting...finally the preview at the end of eps 6 ...looks like he comes from a rich family too. And will be investigating his own family

Second half of eps 6 was great. So interesting to see JH as a prosecutor. Looks like he's always been cool & confident. MH and him worked together.  Can't wait to see why JH left. And gosh that chemistry between NGM and LCA is organic - not forced. Drama gods need to let these two have a drama where they are leads. 

• Like 3