Fake It Till You Make It 装腔启示录 [2023]

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

I can confirm now that this show is worth checking out. :D

Haha... the tab for this drama on my browser has not been shut since last week. I have 3 dramas that ended this week, so after binging ATCY, now it’s time to binge this one. 

Be right back! 

• Like 1
  • Party! 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@abs-oluteM I finished as well. You summarized everything great about the show perfectly. This one definitely sets the bar high. It's one of the best rom-coms I've seen and will go down as a classic for me.

I agree the writing/dialogue was brilliant throughout. Even at the very end, Tang Ying's final narrative managed to inspire me, particularly when she said...

"Happiness, success and joy can't possibly be the result designed by the scriptwriter of life. It can only be your own tangible experience. I've met many people in this city and they eventually taught me that the world is big, too big to imagine, so walk your path, not according to the written script. Throw away the script and struggle to find your own life. It's okay to fail. It's okay to take the wrong road. Live freely. Isn't that the most stylish thing?"

Overall, it's a rom-com, but I thought also a slice of life. Personally, I found some of characters' struggles relatable and their journey in finding their resolutions in love, career and life to be inspiring in many ways. It was great to see the couple and other characters eventually find their place in life.

On 9/12/2023 at 5:12 AM, Chocolate said:

Their "friendship" is the classic example of how men and women can never be friends 😅

@Chocolate Tang Ying said something in the last episode to Yu Chuanchuan that made me think of what you said here. As opposed to YCC who has many male friends, Tang Ying only has one, Ziquan. Unfortunately, he pretended to be her friend and tricked her into becoming his girlfriend. It was hilarious and so true to what you said that a man and woman can never be just friends. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 3

I have finished first 4 episodes, and come to share that I will continue with the drama to see where it takes our leading OTP. 😊

I saw two familiar faces in here. One is the actress who played Shao Shang's aunt (uncle's wife) in LLTG and the other is the rich man from the park. He played the king in The Long Ballad.

Is Lin Xin Zhi really Tang Ying's blood related sister? I was chatting to @SilverMoonTea while watching episode 1 the other day so I missed some details when Xin Zhi begged Tang Ying to let her stay at her place. I disapprove of Xin Zhi's behaviour towards the guy who chased her. I don't know if that guy is a good person, but I know no one should treat another person the way she did. I hope she apologises to him at the hospital.

There were a lot of pretense (as per the drama title) from the side characters in the beginning. The client Wang Xiao Ling was one of the worst. She makes herself look even more pathetic by showing off, regardless of whether she really is being spoilt by her husband or not. I can relate and agree with Tang Ying's boss realising she must take care of herself first and be happy. That said, she is still a terrible boss because of her work ethics and bad behaviours towards Tang Ying and other staffs. It's one thing you lose motivation in work; it is another to mistreat and throw your staffs under the bus.

I find myself warming up to Tang Ying and Xu Zi Quan from episode 3. It helps that we got a bit of backstory of Zi Quan's past relationship with his ex-girlfriend. And I like what @peperomia said about Zi Quan being genuinely a caring person based on episode 1 when he asked the flight attendant for a blanket for Tang Ying, and a gentleman of taking Xin Zhi home even though at the time both decided their date won't work out.

I think there's still a lot of getting to know both the leads in the episodes to come, and that's what I am staying for. And oh, and for more relatable slice of life dialogues and resonance. 😊

---

Episode 5

Spoiler

Eh ok, did not expect Xin Zhi to accept that guy. I get that she worries not finding a man who loves and cares for her like the way he did, but the skeptical side of me wonder if he could remain the way he is for the rest of their life together.

Tang Ying's workplace is toxic. I am guessing her meeting with that other lawyer lady means she will work for her in the coming episodes, and this lady will be a good boss.

The way Tang Ying and Zi Quan interact is no way like friends. They are flirting. I'd see them as 朋友之上,戀人未滿 (beyond friendship but not yet lovers). She totally likes him already, does she not know or is like @Chocolate, in denial? 😂

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 3
  • Party! 1
15 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@40somethingahjumma @Chocolate @peperomia

I loved all 14 episodes of this show. What was so good was how there was growth for the leads even after they got together. Their love grew in tandem with their careers and perspective about life. I loved that it wasn't a conflict free relationship (which is extremely realistic) because how can it be when you have two different individuals who have come together with their own set of values. experiences etc. But through it all , they always talked it out. How refreshing to have a drama where there were no stupid misunderstandings , no break-up tropes. The leads didn't make assumptions about the other, giving the other person the benefit of the doubt. They didn't remove each other's agency and always sought to see the other's person's POV once they were a couple. Though pre-relationship, the heat was sizzling, I appreciate that once they got together  their romance was so still so sweet.

Haha. I knew you'd like it. I wasn't sure about anyone else but in your case, I was pretty certain that you'd not only appreciate the backdrop but also the banter. This is why I said previously that I'm going to have a tough time with other romance centric dramas down the line. If it's possible to do a good romance show in under 15 episodes why don't they do it more often? 

For me the biggest strength of this show is how it handles the dating period. That's the test of a good script. The build up is great and the flirtation is fun but often things start to go awry in the writing when the couple comes together. And thankfully it is handled deftly and maturely here. There's also a lot of humour to be found in the post-transition period where they're trying to juggle their work commitments with dating. I really enjoy seeing potential rivals try and insert themselves into the leads' relationship and get roasted for it. Watching her first crush get his ego deflated was a hoot. And the way she takes him down a notch or two after all that gaslighting... perfect.

This show boasts of one of the best proposal scenes I've seen. There's no fanfare. No cheesy prep with cakes, balloons and rose petals. Just honest to goodness heartfelt declarations with a tiny bit of misdirection. I appreciate how the friendship/couple ring becomes a motif that signals milestones in their relationship. Instead of searching for one's soulmate, it's more realistic to learn to become the other's "one and only " by learning to accommodate which they learnt to do.

The finale is the best one for a romance that I've seen in a while. I hate last minute separation tropes that seem to be the staple of C and K dramas often for no apparent reason except to maintain tension through artificial uncertainty. Here we see the main pairing learning to navigate difficult times and incompatible schedules together which is a much more realistic way of dealing with potential dangers to a fledgling relationship.

Glad you enjoyed it too @peperomia and thought it worth your while. I see that they've dropped all the episodes for My Journey to You.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

15 hours ago, peperomia said:

@Chocolate Tang Ying said something in the last episode to Yu Chuanchuan that made me think of what you said here. As opposed to YCC who has many male friends, Tang Ying only has one, Ziquan. Unfortunately, he pretended to be her friend and tricked her into becoming his girlfriend. It was hilarious and so true to what you said that a man and woman can never be just friends. LOL.

There are friends and then there are "friends". For Tang Ying and Xu Ziquan, from the start, they clicked and treated each other differently as they would with their other normal friends.

At that level, they both only have 1 friend 😭❤.

(Anyway, I don't know why YCC would think having many male friends is an advantage. It just shows ZQ that he is one of many. But ZQ likes very much that TY had a crush for 10 years - because it means she would be devoted to him, which no other woman has done despite the numerous number he has come across.)

NocNbtT.jpg

vwxcfAh.jpg

FS1Lyn3.jpg

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I saw two familiar faces in here. One is the actress who played Shao Shang's aunt (uncle's wife) in LLTG and the other is the rich man from the park. He played the king in The Long Ballad.

No wonder they looked so familiar!

Is Lin Xin Zhi really Tang Ying's blood related sister?

Step-sister apparently. I missed that too, but someone mentioned it in an earlier post. I don't particularly like to watch the sister's scenes 😅 I think she has a defective character - there were times where I think she was even jealous of Tang Ying - like when she found out about the friendship ring.

I find myself warming up to Tang Ying and Xu Zi Quan from episode 3. It helps that we got a bit of backstory of Zi Quan's past relationship with his ex-girlfriend. And I like what @peperomia said about Zi Quan being genuinely a caring person based on episode 1 when he asked the flight attendant for a blanket for Tang Ying, and a gentleman of taking Xin Zhi home even though at the time both decided their date won't work out.

I think there's still a lot of getting to know both the leads in the episodes to come, and that's what I am staying for. And oh, and for more relatable slice of life dialogues and resonance. 😊

The first 2 episodes had a lot of introduction to the many characters and also their work. Ep3 onwards, they have more scenes together so it gets more enjoyable. I missed a lot of the finer points of their conversations and expressions etc on the initial watch, and understood more on re-watch. Hope you like it to the end too!

Episode 5

The way Tang Ying and Zi Quan interact is no way like friends. They are flirting. I'd see them as 朋友之上,戀人未滿 (beyond friendship but not yet lovers). She totally likes him already, does she not know or is like @Chocolate, in denial? 😂

Hahaha, she knows. She's admitted that it is too easy to fall in love with him and that would be dangerous for her because of his reputation. So she is trying to be realistic and careful.

And this is also why I am quite impressed by Tang Ying. Considering she has not been in a serious relationship, she sure flirts very well! Maybe it comes from fending off other men interested in her. And they are both definitely attracted to each other - would you let another person so close to you otherwise? I would have taken many steps back already or say STOP like a traffic policemen.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@abs-oluteM @40somethingahjumma @peperomia @mademoiselle

I found another 30 minutes of un-aired clips!

https://www.olevod.com/index.php/vod/play/id/49472/sid/1/nid/15.html

YKMTEHf.jpg

Apparently Elvis Han was not the intended ML 😱

7PNh56x.jpg

I was wondering how they made that fly land on her at that exact moment 😂

R9rZ8rz.jpg

Source: https://cyn-lynn.blogspot.com/2023/08/fake-it-till-you-make-it.html#comment-6270937440

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I am at ep.3 now. Just have to come here and comment on the ex-girlfriend... What a possessive insecure girl... I cannot imagine what life is like for Zi Quan (or any other man) living with such a person. She asked him to turn the camera to prove he really was in a meeting. Then she didn't want him to go down to hand a work document to his female intern, yet when he asked her be the one to help hand the document to her, she gave him an ultimatum. She was ruining his career too. Gosh! Good thing she broke up with him. That calls for a celebration, imo.

Tbh, if not for the high recommendation of this drama, I don't think I will stick around or even finished ep.1. It only gets interesting when the leads started interacting, and then I only look forward to their scenes. Really like their chemistry. Their first "date" was kinda unique, haha, watching movie on laptop (sharing wired earphone, they don't own a bluetooth one apparently, lol) while having high tea (which looks so good btw). I don't care about the work place stuff at all, uninteresting, but understood that it will be a background for them to work together.

The sister, what exactly is their relationship? I am suspecting they're half-sisters? Like same father different mothers. But, they have different surnames, yet Tang Ying use "your" mother with Xin Zi. 

Spoil me. Is Liu Mei Ling protagonist or antagonist? She is listed as guest role though, while her husband is support role?

So random, but I want to try that bar-bell exercise... Looks fun!

The ML Elvis Han kinda reminds me of Singaporean actor Chen Han Wei. Wonder if @Chocolate thinks the same... 

• Haha 5

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@ktcjdrama You have to persevere! Gets better with each episode. Feel free to FFW all the work and sister stuff 😂

I'm surprised that ZQ put up with the ex-GF too. She was totally unreasonable and he seemed too patient with her.

Step-sister apparently. I missed that too, but someone mentioned it in an earlier post. 

Liu Mei Ling turned out ok. There are no real villians here. Almost everyone got a good ending once they stopped faking it.

Nooooooo. Elvis Han is sooooooo much better 🤣

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
4 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Nooooooo. Elvis Han is sooooooo much better 🤣

Haha... I'm not saying they're the same. Just that some angles of him, so familiar, and reminds me of Chen Han Wei. And you have to think of the super long time ago CHW ya, not now of course :laugh:

7 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Step-sister apparently. I missed that too, but someone mentioned it in an earlier post. 

Aah... I haven't read all the earlier comments... 

• Haha 3
  • Party! 1

MTDzeiV.gif

10 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Glad you enjoyed it too @peperomia and thought it worth your while. I see that they've dropped all the episodes for My Journey to You.

I loved the show in its entirety so thank you for recommending it. Seeing Elvis Han again in such a healthy lead role after so many years was an absolute plus :)

I did see My Journey to You is fully completed now which is good timing. I will be starting it next.

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

I have 2 more episodes left. I should be able to finish it tonight.

Xin Zhi's boyfriend is so scary. Is it the end of him now after the break up? I find it hard to believe he would let her go so easily, or he wouldn't go into another round of self-destruction (drink his liver to the hospital). I was even scared he'd attempt to hurt himself to keep her by his side.

I'm actually not sure it was necessary to bring Tang Yang's 10 years crush back. Tang Yang was already over him, and there's not really a need for "closure" so-to-speak. And he's such a horrible man, thinking so highly of himself and ends up putting Tang Yang down saying she doesn't match with Zi Quan. First love is meant to be dreamy and beautiful (supposedly) and he turned out to be a complete nightmare. She should have slapped him in the face. An eye for an eye, she should put him down as well that he's not any better and he's a divorcee with a son. I was huffing and puffing on all the things he said to Tang Yang on the street.

Back to the main couple. That kiss in E8 on the bridge was unexpected and so random! But, it was a good kiss and better than their official kiss in E9. Like you all, I was also annoyed why she was telling him all the moments she was moved by him only to tell him it doesn't matter anymore. I, too, thought she was trying to cheer him up. And, I obviously were hoping he would tell her the same and he said no. Argh. Ok, so will we ever find out in the last 2 episodes?

I think for Tang Ying who has never been in a relationship, she is handling matters quite well in the relationship. She does get angry, and needed some time to cool down, but she gets out of it and is willing to communicate on the same day. The "same day" communication is important, else it's a torture having to try sleeping through it. Trust is important and she trusts him.

But omg @Chocolate, your Elvis Han doing the baby talk and aegyo after they are dating. Aaahahahaha!

23 hours ago, Chocolate said:

And this is also why I am quite impressed by Tang Ying. Considering she has not been in a serious relationship, she sure flirts very well!

Flirting comes naturally. So is aegyo / manja.

18 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Haha... I'm not saying they're the same. Just that some angles of him, so familiar, and reminds me of Chen Han Wei. And you have to think of the super long time ago CHW ya, not now of course

Hahaha I did think of CHW from super long time ago but I don't see it. Elvis is more suave and cooler? I don't know how to describe. How tall is he, @Chocolate?

• Clapping Hands 3
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Xin Zhi's boyfriend is so scary. Is it the end of him now after the break up? I find it hard to believe he would let her go so easily, or he wouldn't go into another round of self-destruction (drink his liver to the hospital). I was even scared he'd attempt to hurt himself to keep her by his side.

Fortunately, this drama doesn't have the usual tropes. But I think even if he threatened suicide, Xin Zhi is hard hearted enough to not let herself be held hostage.

I'm actually not sure it was necessary to bring Tang Yang's 10 years crush back.

Haha, but he doesn't appear, then we won't have the very entertaining "confrontation" scene between the 3 of them. And another entertaining one at the end - you watch.

Back to the main couple. That kiss in E8 on the bridge was unexpected and so random! But, it was a good kiss and better than their official kiss in E9.

I love the E8 kiss best too. Actually, personally I think the rest of the kissing/making out scenes lack a bit of heat - it seemed more friendly and fun rather than sexy and hot. Considering the tension pre-confirmation, I was a wee bit disappointed.

Do you all know this bridge is call "Friendship Bridge"?

ko9txXl.jpg

Like you all, I was also annoyed why she was telling him all the moments she was moved by him only to tell him it doesn't matter anymore. I, too, thought she was trying to cheer him up. And, I obviously were hoping he would tell her the same and he said no. Argh.

I was watching one of their interviews. Apparently, Elvira said it was recovery when he did not respond. She was trying to save her pride after the confession.

But omg @Chocolate, your Elvis Han doing the baby talk and aegyo after they are dating. Aaahahahaha!

Hahaha I did think of CHW from super long time ago but I don't see it. Elvis is more suave and cooler? I don't know how to describe. How tall is he, @Chocolate?

Hahaha, he is quite cute with the aegyo. I still prefer the cool guy but it's very nice to know the man has another side in private time. Which does @abs-oluteM prefer?

According to google, he's 1.82. He doesn't look super tall though.

I have to say it again, very happy to watch a c-drama ML with some meat 😂

• Haha 4
26 minutes ago, Chocolate said:
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha, he is quite cute with the aegyo. I still prefer the cool guy but it's very nice to know the man has another side in private time. Which does @abs-oluteM prefer?

Nooooo agyeo for me please. I prefer him as the cool guy. But okay I agree with @mademoiselle some guys become cutesy and all when they are in a relationship and want to get their girl's attention.  I will give him a pass since he's handsome :laugh:

What did you all think about that shameless girl who kept pushing herself on him? I thought that TY handled her really well at the end complete with allergy and a puffy face ! 

• Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

7 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

What did you all think about that shameless girl who kept pushing herself on him? I thought that TY handled her really well at the end complete with allergy and a puffy face ! 

I'm old fashioned. If a girl has to say she likes him first, then it's a lost cause 😂 The shameless girl said it so many times, as if she was afraid he didn't hear her lol.

TY's the best, she's so quick on her feet. ZQ is also amazing. When TY invited the girl in, his reaction was "精彩" - like he was looking forward to an entertaining show. This couple is unmatched.

• Haha 4

I finished the last two episodes, and just finished the extra unaired episode.

Really 😶 with Xin Zhi. I guess she's still young~ lots of time to find The One. I doubt the Didi will be her last lover anyway.

Tang Ying falling sick and deciding not to do overtime and then still does it later is so relatable. I had to stay back OT an hour because the meeting went on for extra hour. 🥹 I don't believe Lawyer Zheng was able to be understanding towards Tang Ying wanting to "live" her life talk. He is an employer and the one who threw her under the bus, there is no way he'd understand.

I didn't pay too much attention to their workplace storyline, and there were a lot of work scenes in the last two episodes.

@abs-oluteM I think both Tang Ying and Zi Quan handled their respective's partner's love enemies very well. Like you said, they are both shameless, but do such shameless people really exist? So shameless that they would come to people's house like they did? It's disrespectful and I wouldn't even want to invite them in.

48 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I was watching one of their interviews. Apparently, Elvira said it was recovery when he did not respond. She was trying to save her pride after the confession.

This does make sense, but just very bad timing.

49 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

According to google, he's 1.82. He doesn't look super tall though.

Yeah he doesn't. Most of them will report it taller but those who are over 190 cm will report lower.

49 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I have to say it again, very happy to watch a c-drama ML with some meat 😂

Hahaha! C-entertainment works opposite to K-entertainment. Being skinny like small pencils are supposedly the trend. So yes, I'm glad he's a bit more buff yet not overly buff.

7 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

TY's the best, she's so quick on her feet. ZQ is also amazing. When TY invited the girl in, his reaction was "精彩" - like he was looking forward to an entertaining show. This couple is unmatched.

He was happy being the 吃瓜群衆. :pandapopcorn:

• Clapping Hands 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Omg Elvis new drama !!! I saw the first episode on YouTube, and it was good. It is set in the 1940s, not exactly my favorite period because of all the propaganda but the leads have good chemistry and the plot exciting. It is a spy drama and both leads are spies.  I don't have time to open a thread yet but will do so if the next few episodes continue to be good.

@40somethingahjumma @Chocolate he's still very suave here :D. Full episodes available on this channel.

• Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

12 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Omg Elvis new drama !!! I saw the first episode on YouTube, and it was good. It is set in the 1940s, not exactly my favorite period because of all the propaganda but the leads have good chemistry and the plot exciting. It is a spy drama and both leads are spies.  I don't have time to open a thread yet but will do so if the next few episodes continue to be good.

@40somethingahjumma @Chocolate he's still very suave here :D. Full episodes available on this channel.

Yeh!!!! I am excited! The picture looks like Mr & Mrs Smith lol.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Party! 1
9 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Yeh!!!! I am excited! The picture looks like Mr & Mrs Smith lol.

I am hooked - done till eps 4 . If you like it & you have time to help open a thread, will be great.  My laptop is down 😵 & I know I won’t have time to open yet . 

A lot of nail biting moments & both leads still don’t tell each other they are spies of course. But yet they will play along to help each other cover up . Very good how it all plays out. 😁

• Clapping Hands 1