Fake It Till You Make It 装腔启示录 [2023]

Fake It Make It

Title: Fake It Till You Make It

Chinese Title: 装腔启示录

Novel: "Apocalypse" (装腔启示录) by Liu Cuihu (柳翠虎)

Broadcast Dates: 18 August - 9 September 2023

Genre: workplace, romance, contemporary

Episodes: 14

Director: Li Mo

Screenwriter: Lang Qun Li, Li Tao

Broadcasters: MangoTV, Viki

Starring:

Elvira Cai          -- Tang Ying

Elvis Han          -- Xu Ziquan

Bao Sheng'en   -- Lin Xinzi

Dai Yun Fan      -- Xu Jiabao

Li Yuan              -- Wang Yusu

Synopsis:

This satirical look at contemporary workplace dynamics follows the life and romance of two young thirty-something corporate professionals. Tang Ying (Elvira Cai), a lawyer does it tough trying desperately to please her corporate masters and their clientele. Xu Ziquan (Elvis Han), on the other hand, is an investment banker who is fending off ruthless competition from within and outside his company. It's attraction at first sight as the two banter their way from friendship to becoming lovers. When they fall for one another all their insecurities about commitment come to the fore.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

My Review:

Can anything good come out of MangoTV? Occasionally perhaps and this gem seems to be one of them. This is perhaps the best rom com I've seen in a long time... in the vein of When Harry Met Sally. Both leads are upwardly mobile hardworking outstanding professionals in their respective workplaces but circumstances are such that they don't do it easy. They live precariously on the precipice as they navigate the shark-infested waters of corporate culture as "slaves" to their masters' bidding or the necessity of holding on to their jobs where nothing is ever a guarantee. It's highly realistic in the way it depicts the dog eat dog environment that's so familiar to struggling wage earners in the East Asian context.

Elvis Han and Elvira Cai headline this office drama where romance is an integral part of the work-life realities that afflict many overworked employees today. So how do people find time for courting and wooing in this day and age where men and women work long hours, barely have time for meals, are exploited by the employers competing with other employers for contracts and clients? It's a battleground out there and many are not past cheating to get ahead. A fact that inevitably spills into relationships with significant others.

Elvis Han's Xu Ziquan is an investment banker and for him, a rising star in the industry, it's the neverending chase for that next big deal that's giving him sleepless nights. If he can't clinch it, it's reallocations and retrenchments for his team. He meets Tang Ying (Elvira Cai) on a plane for the first time and the sparks fly a little. She's a corporate lawyer at the bottom of the food chain barely keeping her head above the water with a very difficult supervisor. She piques his curiosity and apparently the feeling is mutual but neither expects to see the other again. But of course they do through her sister first then later they work together on a large M & A project. The two first decide that they are best suited to be friends and drinking partners in part because she has heard of his (overblown) reputation with women and in part because he is a bit of a commitment phobe. As they start to spend more time together, they begin to rethink their "friendship". Can their "friendship" transition into a "dating relationship"? Not without a few bumps and wake-up calls along the way.

The push and pull is rather well done. The leads are busy people, constantly in contact with friends, colleagues, clients and even admirers. There's are plenty of opportunities for them to look elsewhere and expand their options but in the end they keep finding their way to each other regardless of their ridiculous schedules. There are busybodies along the way who try and cause trouble but once they make their minds up, they are a team. It's definitely an adult romance and fortunately for us the leads actually communicate maturely.

The best thing about this is the script although the chemistry between the leads is fantastic and the direction is wonderful. The tension, the UST, the build-up is great. The dialogue just sparkles especially the banter between the leads. I haven't heard such great dialogue in a romance oriented show for so long. For me dialogue is one of the most, if not the most important part of a well-made romantic comedy.

And the OST... is perfect. Just like When Harry Met Sally.

@SilverMoonTea @peperomia @NiteWalker @Tofu @ktcjdrama @mademoiselle  

@abs-oluteM I know you will love this show. You have to watch it. It's completely right up your alley in every single way. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@SilverMoonTea

I've been watching this drama on Viki and I'm sure there are good subs elsewhere. I watched the last 3 episodes RAW so I didn't need subs for those.

I heard about this show on another platform. Was a bit reluctant to start when I saw it on my Viki feed but when I saw the praise for it, I took a leap.

I think you'll like it.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Party! 1

49 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@abs-oluteM I know you will love this show. You have to watch it. It's completely right up your alley in every single way.

Ooo since it is 14 episodes, I will check it out. 

• Like 3
  • Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Thank you @40somethingahjumma I love When Harry Met Sally. I saw it again not too long ago so timing is perfect. I was planning to start another costume C-drama, My Journey to You, but I'll watch this first since it will complete soon. I haven't seen Elvis Han since Siege in Fog so it should be interesting seeing him in this role.

(Off topic: I believe you like martial arts. Maybe you might like My Journey to You. I read reviews the choreo is amazing so far. I have to warn you though. It's still airing and is supposed to be angsty/suspenseful, including the romance part. Just FYI.)

• Like 4
  • Party! 1
4 hours ago, peperomia said:

Thank you @40somethingahjumma I love When Harry Met Sally. I saw it again not too long ago so timing is perfect. I was planning to start another costume C-drama, My Journey to You, but I'll watch this first since it will complete soon. I haven't seen Elvis Han since Siege in Fog so it should be interesting seeing him in this role.

(Off topic: I believe you like martial arts. Maybe you might like My Journey to You. I read reviews the choreo is amazing so far. I have to warn you though. It's still airing and is supposed to be angsty/suspenseful, including the romance part. Just FYI.)

Thanks for the heads up on My Journey to You. I just had a peek at the trailer and it does look pretty spectacular. I see that Joseph Zeng is in it too but not as the male lead. I will put it on my watchlist because I love a good wuxia. One episode a day is a tad slow for me.

Let us know your thoughts if you ever get round to watching Fake It Till You Make It. I actually liked Elvis Han in Siege in the Fog although the push and pull in that one felt like it went on forever. 

• Like 4
  • Party! 1

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Let us know your thoughts if you ever get round to watching Fake It Till You Make It. I actually liked Elvis Han in Siege in the Fog although the push and pull in that one felt like it went on forever. 

I’ll definitely watch and come back here. Most likely over this weekend. The me today would have a difficult time getting through Seige in Fog because of the nonstop push and pull, but Elvis Han was worth the watch back then. I’m excited to see him in a contemporary romance and looking forward to the slow burn of friendship turning into something romantic.

43 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Wah, opening scene already so interesting.

Next time I sit next to a cute guy in an airplane, I shall just shiver and wait! 😂

You are hilarious. I assume you will continue watching this. I will watch after I finish Longing for You finale. LOL.

Thanks for the heads up on My Journey to You. I just had a peek at the trailer and it does look pretty spectacular. I see that Joseph Zeng is in it too but not as the male lead. I will put it on my watchlist because I love a good wuxia. One episode a day is a tad slow for me.

Yay, you saw the trailer. Looks quite spectacular, right? I was told the airing schedule is 1 episode per day but 2 episodes on Wednesday which I agree is a bit slow. Total of 24 episodes is do-able for me though. About Joseph Zeng, my understanding is he has a guest role only which was a bummer when I found that out. I liked him in Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre. But, I also like Zhang Ling He from Maiden Holmes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
On 9/7/2023 at 9:30 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

The best thing about this is the script although the chemistry between the leads is fantastic and the direction is wonderful. The tension, the UST, the build-up is great. The dialogue just sparkles especially the banter between the leads. I haven't heard such great dialogue in a romance oriented show for so long. For me dialogue is one of the most, if not the most important part of a well-made romantic comedy.

The dialogue is very interesting. So many times, if I were the FL, I wouldn't know where to hide my head 🤣

Spoiler

Example 1:

She says he can stop walking her home.

He continues to walk her home.

She says he can stop now.

He says his car is THERE (in the direction of her home) LOL!

Example 2:
He was trying to get out of a situation.

She asked why he chose to contact her.

He said he messaged everyone in his contact list and only she responded hahahaha!

She thinks he's a player, but he is honest about his dating outlook, so to speak. He is also very direct and some things make you swooooooon.....

Spoiler

He says he genuinely wants to be her friend.

That he genuinely admires her.

That he has no other motives.

But.

如果你想有的话

我可以

What is this!!!!! 😂😂😂

Translation:
If she wants to explore a relationship/fling with him, he can accommodate 😂.

I'm glad to finally watch a c-drama where the ML is not pale and skinny lol.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 5
3 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Wah, opening scene already so interesting.

Next time I sit next to a cute guy in an airplane, I shall just shiver and wait! 😂

I thought the same. I liked it from the airplane scene.

I've sat next to a few cute guys before on planes but these days I can only look at the scenery. 

The problem is that most guys don't even notice. They're far more absorbed with their devices.

If you like their conversation in that scene, you will love all their banter. It only gets better. [Ah okay... I just noticed your other post]

Welcome to the party! This is not an idol drama and Elvis Han is not an idol actor. He's pretty darn hot here.

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I thought the same. I liked it from the airplane scene.

I've sat next to a few cute guys before on planes but these days I can only look at the scenery. 

Lucky you! I don't have to look at scenery, but I don't remember sitting near any cute guys 😢

The problem is that most guys don't even notice. They're far more absorbed with their devices.

Try the Jo Malone perfume next time 😂

Welcome to the party! This is not an idol drama and Elvis Han is not an idol actor. He's pretty darn hot here.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm all for adult romances. Those with 20 year-olds mostly leave me wondering what they see in each other lol. The actor is quite suave here. Very believable as a ladies man.

Will be binging this weekend.

• Haha 5
6 hours ago, Chocolate said:

She thinks he's a player, but he is honest about his dating outlook, so to speak. He is also very direct and some things make you swooooooon.....

He's soooooo smooth.... he's very easy to read as in I don't think you have to second guess if he likes you or not. Because men like him won't waste time if they are not interested. I like how she's trying to keep him at arm's length but it's clear she's intrigued. 

@40somethingahjumma thank you for this great recommendation. I am done with 2 episodes and love the banter. So witty and despite the bad subs I am using (thankfully I can understand 50% of it ...lol) , the flirting that is going back and forth is so good. Anyway , this actor is so handsome..

The only thing I really can't stand is her boss....I have to watch some early scenes with her at 1.5 speed :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

He's soooooo smooth.... he's very easy to read as in I don't think you have to second guess if he likes you or not. Because men like him won't waste time if they are not interested. I like how she's trying to keep him at arm's length but it's clear she's intrigued. 

@40somethingahjumma thank you for this great recommendation. I am done with 2 episodes and love the banter. So witty and despite the bad subs I am using (thankfully I can understand 50% of it ...lol) , the flirting that is going back and forth is so good. Anyway , this actor is so handsome..

The only thing I really can't stand is her boss....I have to watch some early scenes with her at 1.5 speed :laugh:

Woohoo... It's pretty good right? I've enjoyed it so much that I've been re-watching episodes -- Too much time unfortunately because I've been sick all week. The chemistry is undeniably off the charts.

The subs should get better as you progress through the show.

Her terrible boss in fact has quite the interesting arc. She's quite insufferable in the early days and that snobbish Wang Meiling as well but the show does a decent job developing the two of them. Even the annoying sister goes places by the end.

The writing on this show is just top-notch.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

I watched the first 2 episodes. They’re so fiery together. So, is their love language sharing perfume? I liked that she took it personally and was upset about him gifting her perfume scent away. However, I sort of saw it as because he kept her scent in mind, he’s keeping her in his mind.

When Tang Ying’s sister told her about “dating” Elvis, her reaction gave away that she likes him. She even deleted him from her phone. She’s tough on him because he seems like a player which from her point of view, I don’t blame her. However, it’s obvious she’s special in his eyes. I like that he admits he likes women and is candid about dating. He may be interested in a woman at first, but if he finds she’s not for him, he’ll back away. So, we should find out how he feels about her if he’s still lingering around.

About the subs, the ones on Viki are decent.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3
10 hours ago, peperomia said:

I watched the first 2 episodes. They’re so fiery together. So, is their love language sharing perfume? I liked that she took it personally and was upset about him gifting her perfume scent away. However, I sort of saw it as because he kept her scent in mind, he’s keeping her in his mind.

Oddly enough... or maybe not... the perfume stuff doesn't really come up later in the show. But his interest in scented products does spill over into his work commitments.

It's established very early on that he has many female acquaintances and he was even in at least one serious dating relationship in the past but while he likes surrounding himself with female company and even feel a little flattered by all the attention, they're just acquaintances and friends. It's very clear where his preferences lie. But she is a little nervous... who can blame her... about getting involved with a guy who supposedly has a reputation. I tend to think that the reputation is rather overstated. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

@40somethingahjumma I’m here because I’m squealing & laughing at the entire Friendship rings scenario in eps 3 and 4 . He was so serious about it that it would seem like a crime if she doesn’t wear it.  But honestly who gives friendship rings ??? 🤣🤣🤣. I can understand why she won’t wear it ..,loads of questions will be thrown her way . 

Anyway I’m so glad they are working on a project together providing plenty of opportunities for them to become closer. These two have insane chemistry @peperomia- every moment they have almost physical contact is sexy with a capital S 🔥🔥.  I’m in no rush for them to be an item simply because I’m enjoying this “ friendship flirting “ 😝😝.

What do you all think of the sister’s approach to relationships?   She likes the person for what they can do for her , not that  she liked them.  Not surprising that the guy came to his senses to stop pursuing her . 

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama if you got time, try this . The romance in this one is hot & super smooth without being tropey 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

8 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@40somethingahjumma I’m here because I’m squealing & laughing at the entire Friendship rings scenario in eps 3 and 4 . He was so serious about it that it would seem like a crime if she doesn’t wear it.  But honestly who gives friendship rings ??? 🤣🤣🤣. I can understand why she won’t wear it ..,loads of questions will be thrown her way . 

Anyway I’m so glad they are working on a project together providing plenty of opportunities for them to become closer. These two have insane chemistry @peperomia- every moment they have almost physical contact is sexy with a capital S 🔥🔥.  I’m in no rush for them to be an item simply because I’m enjoying this “ friendship flirting “ 😝😝.

The rings are very well used all throughout the show. And I emphasize "all throughout".

I think it shows too that Ziquan is already quite serious about Tang Ying but he doesn't want to scare her away until he is sure himself that she's someone that's different to him than all the other women he's known. He wants to keep her close but he's well aware that she's nervous about him. It's his way of delineating how important she is to him because as @Chocolate has noted and he says himself, he is quite willing to have a dating relationship with her anytime she's willing.

The chemistry is really off the charts.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

I’ve only gotten to half of episode 3 so far. Just wanted to say I like Ziquan’s thoughtfulness of his subordinates. He seems to hustle hard for the company to make the investment deals with the wellbeing of his team in mind. If the company does well, it means no layoffs etc. His team’s jobs are safe and that’s what’s important to him. Going back to the intro where he got a blanket for Tang Ying during their flight, it might’ve seemed like a flirtatious move coming from a stranger, but as we get to know him better, I think he was just being kind. Also, when he bumped into Tang Ying in front of her apartment building, he had walked her sister home from their second “date”. By that point, he knew the sister was not for him, yet he still walked her home. Most guys would simply split at the end of date and head their separate ways. So, he was a gentleman to walk her sister home as an acquaintance/friend. He's a great guy...good-hearted and a straight shooter. I especially like that he's open about himself with Tang Ying. I hope to see her warm up to him.

15 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It's established very early on that he has many female acquaintances and he was even in at least one serious dating relationship in the past but while he likes surrounding himself with female company and even feel a little flattered by all the attention, they're just acquaintances and friends. It's very clear where his preferences lie. But she is a little nervous... who can blame her... about getting involved with a guy who supposedly has a reputation. I tend to think that the reputation is rather overstated. 

I saw the intro of episode 3 gave us some insight on his past serious relationship. His ex-girlfriend seemed really insecure and did not trust him. They way she broke-up with him was quite terrible. Still, he doesn't seem jaded by love but acknowledges that it is not easy to find true love. So far, I don't get vibes that he's a player. I mean, he's definitely smooth with his words, but to me, he seems like a nice guy and a gentleman who happens to be in the dating pool.

10 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Their chemistry is really off the charts as @40somethingahjumma said and they're not even dating yet. It makes me wonder what it'll be like when they actually get romantic! I haven't gotten to where they will work together on a project, but I'm looking forward to it. I liked their moment together at the end of episode 2 where they watched a movie on her laptop sharing the headset. Their closeness and glances at each other were quite hot. Everything in that scene was pretty simple and ordinary...just them enjoying each other's company. I couldn't stop smiling. 

10 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

What do you all think of the sister’s approach to relationships?   She likes the person for what they can do for her , not that  she liked them.  Not surprising that the guy came to his senses to stop pursuing her .

The sister seems superficial in terms of what she finds are important qualities in a man. She says she's looking for a long-term relationship that will lead to marriage, but I personally think she judges a man too quickly on what he can offer based on the surface of a first date. I knew the man from the park was actually rich. I can't tell if he took her on a simple date to test her or if he was merely being himself.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

I finished episode 3. When I had previously stopped halfway, I was just minutes away from them finding out that they would be working together. It was funny how Tang Ying has been wanting to land a high-profile project yet when it was one with Ziquan, she got nervous and hesitated a bit. Hmmm...LOL. But anyway, I really like this shot of them…

spacer.png

I assume the backstory of the lonely whale persevering through the ocean alone and only wanting to be heard by its kind is echoing the same desire of the two leads. It ties back to what Ziquan said about lonely souls wanting to find true love in the vast world. You have to be really lucky to find it. I can’t wait for them to find out they’ve been looking for the same thing.

I liked their conversation about mistaking being moved by someone nice to you as love. Tang Ying told Ziquan she is certain that she wouldn't fall in love with someone merely because he's nice to her because it means she doesn't genuinely like him and he doesn't have the things she wants. If you settle for him, you're going against your true heart. You should be with him because you like him. After hearing this, I felt Ziquan found her even more interesting. Perhaps he learned something that's starting to set her apart from the other women he's known?

14 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

The rings are very well used all throughout the show. And I emphasize "all throughout".

I think it shows too that Ziquan is already quite serious about Tang Ying but he doesn't want to scare her away until he is sure himself that she's someone that's different to him than all the other women he's known. He wants to keep her close but he's well aware that she's nervous about him. It's his way of delineating how important she is to him because as @Chocolate has noted and he says himself, he is quite willing to have a dating relationship with her anytime she's willing.

Ziquan was supposed to be drunk in this scene, but it was obvious his mind was clear (as he said so himself). So, I really liked how the couples rings happened between the two. I'll call them the couples rings because that's what he called them first when he asked the sales person for them. He wisely changed them to friendship rings because I agree, he knew Tang Ying is cautious and nervous about him. He wanted to convey that he really likes her, but he didn't want to scare her at the same time. While she thought he was acting under the effects of alcohol, it was an opportune moment for him to gift them to her and she would accept. He has quite a high EQ in his ability to sense the state her emotions and I love his patience/time with her. I'm happy to know the rings will be present throughout the show.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2