Sunbae, Don't Put On That Lipstick 선배, 그 립스틱 바르지 마요 [2021]

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

And finally this scene... hmmm @mademoiselle don't you wish now that you can sit on his lap like this ...

Another good use of a tall guy with broad shoulder 😍 sadly, I am not of petite size so this is a never gonna happen thing in my life 😆 
I have yet to watch the finale. Since I already got myself spoiled of the ending of each arcs, I might hold it off for leisure watch over the weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 16 (Finale)

A very nicely wrapped up finale. It wasn't rushed like other dramas and the show touched on the main characters and pairings, giving them all an appropriate ending/closure/growth. I had my worries whether the drama will have interesting contents enough to sustain 16 episodes and surprisingly, the writer kept it simple and (almost) realistic. I appreciated there was no unnecessary fillers or overwhelming/glaring PPLs. My only complaint would be I don't enjoy Jae Shin and Hyo Joo's storyline. Song Ah's Omma was frustrated to watch at first but now I'm ok because she showed character growth and became a better person and no longer miserable.

Ji Seung and Jae Woon remain sweet & cute till the end. How funny and cute was Jae Woon being the one getting proposed to and tearing up? Although I did wonder how did they skip the proposing bit to preparing for the wedding because Jae Woon being Jae Woon, he definitely would spend, design, plan a good ol' proposal first before moving to the next step. I just love the gender reversal for this pairing.

On the contrary, I cried my eyes out for Ha Eun. Poor girl. It really breaks my heart because I feel her sadness... I think I already teared up when Woo Hyun tells Yeon Seung he's ready to face the world alone. It's so misleading too because the couple was holding hands before that! :pandasad: I really thought Woo Hyun would come around and stay with his family. Sniff. The scene after Hyun Seung takes Ha Eun away and it was just Yeon Seung and Ji Seung, it really killed me seeing Yeon Seung withholding her tears.

SKyHtPZ.jpghOORjzj.jpg

As for Hyun Seung and Song Ah, it was just a matter of time they find their way back to each other. I didn't expect Hyun Seung to immediately take her back right after she apologise sincerely but it transitioned nicely anyway so I am not going to complain when's the best timing since Hyun Seung wanted to get back to her and was just holding himself off for as long as he could out of fear. That was a nice makeup kiss from the car to the bedroom. Obviously it would have made more sense if he was shirtless afterwards, but this boy sticks to his gun all the way. Ah well. We'll just see if he'll be this lucky next time! :GrowDerp:

I like this PD. From the BTS, I learnt we can see that he guides the actor really well, and that he wanted to be creative with the romantic scenes between the OTP and be different from other romance dramas. And I can see he has come up with some really good scenes, making good use of Rowoon's height and built.

9g3Vz08.jpg

This isn't a romance drama that would leave a long lasting strong impression to viewers. However, it's still a fairly enjoyable romance drama that is neither too fluffy without solid contents nor overly heavy. I enjoy it lots because Rowoon is so aesthetically beautiful and love it even more because of the vast improvement and stability in acting he had shown throughout. I love that everyone had good rapport and have fun during filming, which I think is important to make it all work.

• Heart Eyes 1

Awww

Finally Rowoon updated his IG 

Rough Translation:

I learned a lot and felt a lot.
I don't want to forget the shooting period.
The director, the writer,
The staff, the actors and actresses.
Thank you so much.

The weight of the word love.
Even Hyunseung, who let me know a little bit,
Thank you so much.

Please like Hyunseung a lot.
Thank you for supporting Hyunseung's love.
  • Heart Eyes 2

Hi All!

I binged watched the last remaining (4 episodes) and wow. What a roller coaster packed into these 4!

All I remember most is my heart breaking alongside Hyun Seung when the break up happened. 

I don't blame Song-Ah. It would have taken a toll eventually and the break up made Song Ah think about what she actually wanted. 

It would have become an unhealthy relationship because we can always see it was Hyun Seung doing all the giving, even from the beginning. He really handed his heart to her on a platter and he was fearless. But then his heart was skewered (and I am sure Song Ah too) but they really needed a step back. 

[I always believe that Korean dramas have time jumps so it was expected)

I really enjoyed the last two episodes when it was time for Song Ah to buck up and do the chasing. You have a guy who is now wary of risking it all for love so now it's her turn.

What about the Chae siblings?

Ji Seung - I am glad she had a happy ending with Jae Woon. And she was the calm, mature voice who gave the best advice without overstepping into her siblings' relationships. She saw how happy Hyun Seung was and she must have also seen how devastated he was. I am glad she tried to advise Song Ah. I felt it was her way of letting Song Ah know that the ball is in her court and to understand why Hyun Seung was behaving that way. I could also hear a subtle threat - be serious about the relationship this time or else....:mad:

Yeon Seung - You could already sense something was off about her relationship with her husband. He was always so aloof so I expected that he was having an affair (this seems to be the trend in Korean dramas now) but wow. Unexpected. It is still a devastating blow to find out about your husband this way. The one I feel the most for is Ha Eun, as a child of course she cannot understand why her parents are divorcing but she already knew something was not right and encouraged her appa to make her omma feel better. She is really fortunate that her parents love her and are putting her first. And she has really great samchon and imo. 

The ending was as perfect as it can be. Our OTP are now securely in love, two weddings mentioned! (Ji Seung and Jae Woon, Hyun Seung and Song-Ah) and how Song Ah's relationship with her mother has improved. I will miss the Klar team too.

At this moment, I am listening to the OST

1. Lean on Me

2. I feel you

I hope to buy the OST once it's available.

Thanks everyone for sharing a space to discuss about this drama!

Til we meet in another thread!

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@abs-oluteM I haven't really posted any of my thoughts here but I think you have seen me tweeting about this non-stop especially during Mondays and Tuesdays. :cool:  

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't drop this drama after I was a bit put off by Hyun Seung's character in the first 2 episodes. I agree with some of the comments about this drama, that there's really nothing new or spectacular about it, some even called it a cliche romance drama. But I think the strength of the drama is in the charm of our main couple, Rowoon really did well in bringing Hyun Seung to life and making him a very likeable ML. 

Although, I didn't like that they use the usual break up formula right near the end, I understand why it has to happened. I know some people were looking for a more dramatic reason to justify the break up, but I get why Song-ah made the decision. I think the constant pressure from work and the guilt of not being able give her 100% to Hyun Seung were her breaking point. I liked that they didn't try to prolong the conflict and just crammed everything in the last minute of the episode. Did I think Hyun Seung gave in too easily? Maybe. But I also think that he was just waiting for a proper explanation form Song-ah, and she did just that and more. Plus we all know Hyun Seung is just a really nice guy who will do anything for his Sunbae. So I'm really satisfied in how their story was concluded.

Another thing I love about this drama, the Chae siblings. I love their relationship! While I was sad that Yeon-Seung's marriage ended in divorce, I'm also glad that the writer didn't force a "happy ending". It was bittersweet but realistic. I also wish that Ji-Seung and Jae Woon got more screen time. I was prepared to dislike Jae Woon in the beginning because I thought he will the typical arrogant chaebol CEO but he turn out to be fair boss, a good friend, a caring brother and a softie boyfriend. As for the 2nd couple, I actually didn't care much about them and I felt like they were just there to set up Hyun Seung and Song-ah's story, especially Jae Chin. That's why I wish they gave more screen time to Ji-Seung and Jae Woon, they were more interesting and fun to me.

Overall, I love this drama. It's far from perfect and I would probably change a scene or two but it is something you watch when you just want to smile, much like reading a nice romance book. Nothing too dramatic or deep but just a right balance of swoon and a bit of angst. 

• Awesome 2

@abs-oluteM LOL looks like I'm not the only one! :laugh:

I liked this section of the drama much more than I expected to. Rather than feeling rushed or pat, I liked the balance it (eventually) brings to their relationship — i.e., that they are now reaching, yearning for, and valuing each other equally. Also, on a more shallow note, I could watch tortured Hyun-seung all day, from the tension between them at work, to the way he’s so obviously as attracted to her as ever, and trying to subdue it.

- Extract from episode 15-16 recap at Dramabeans

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@mademoiselle One of the best things in this drama for me is seeing RoWoon prove himself as a romantic lead. I just love his interpretation of a man who fell so very hard for his co worker , and the things he did for her. It’s refreshing not to have a tsundere lead but instead one who was very expressive with his feelings . I appreciated that 

20 hours ago, cherrhys88 said:

Overall, I love this drama. It's far from perfect and I would probably change a scene or two but it is something you watch when you just want to smile, much like reading a nice romance book. Nothing too dramatic or deep but just a right balance of swoon and a bit of angst. 

Yes , so true . It’s like comfort food that you enjoy without too much fuss . 

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

True that @abs-oluteM. Hyun Seung is not the atypical kdrama male lead. Neither is he chaebol rich nor suffer some sort of trauma and had his heart close except the female lead! It is nice once in a while to watch something completely different. I believe I've mentioned before how I like the drama adaptation more than the novel. The novel is just a typical romance, but what the drama gave us had so much more depth and substances.

Apparently Sunbae is now available on Netflix Korea  & is in the Top 10 today. Does this mean there's a chance it'll be available on NF worldwide (seriously wishing it will!).

006-HVs-XQgy1gohbday3t6j30u0116npd.jpg

----

LOLLL a cut of all Rowoon getting all cringy with himself/his lines

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@mademoiselle  so adorable. Just realised that we have no more episodes to look forward to. It was my favorite thing to do every Monday & Tuesday

IKR! I'd love for an extension of just Hyun Seung with Ha Eun, his sisters and Song a

Ah 😆 But I am also glad that I can go back to my sleeping routine 🤣. I just saw an unconfirmed news/rumour that RW has started on script reading for his next drama, Yeongmo.

• Insightful 1
4 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

IKR! I'd love for an extension of just Hyun Seung with Ha Eun, his sisters and Song a

Ah 😆 But I am also glad that I can go back to my sleeping routine 🤣. I just saw an unconfirmed news/rumour that RW has started on script reading for his next drama, Yeongmo.

This is the one with Park Eun Bin ? Oooo I’m excited. Historical right?

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring