One & Only, Forever and Ever / 一生一世美人骨 l 周生如故 [2021]

Happy ending yay!!! Now since it's ended, I miss them already. It's been for months I watched One and Only to Forever and Ever. 

I think they put everything pretty well. Even after it ended, I feel like the had gone through so much pain to finally be together in the end. The ending felt too short.

I think the best married couple portrayed in this drama is the best one and very sweet one. I really love how they respect each other, learn their differences and make things between them work well. These things which made me stay to the very last end, watching these two happy married couple SY and ZSC. I wish they could tell us more of their baby, Zhou Mushi. They can do time jump like 1 year, ahh... I miss them. 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 2

I'll do my best to answer some of the questions you both asked, @Alice Wonderland and @Mouse. Haha!

Zhousheng Chen's step-mother and uncle had an affair, which resulted in the twin ( Wenxing and Wenchuan). I believe the debt they are referring to has to do with the affair. Zhousheng Chen's father knew of the affair but did not expose them and as a repayment, she raised Zhousheng Chen. 

4 hours ago, Mouse said:

As for Ren -  I adore him. He is like a mini version of ZSC. However, who are his parents? How is he related to ZSC? Why is the entire clan so protective of him?

Zhousheng Ren is Zhousheng Chen's cousin (the half brother of Wenxing and Wenchuan). In the Zhou family, only the eldest son is given the surname Zhousheng. They are also the one that will inherit the family's fortune. When Zhousheng Chen's father died, his uncle took on the surname of Zhousheng. Now that he is the head of the family, his eldest son (Xiao Ren) is also given that surname. Once Xiao Ren becomes of age, he will inherit everything. This is why he's so protective and also why they let him do whatever he wants.

4 hours ago, Mouse said:

So when Wenxing apologized to Shi Yi, was it for the boat accident? Did she intend for Shi Yi to fall so that it would make ZSC worry and be scared to lose her?

Yes, that's correct! Isn't that a not so great reason?! :PikachuFacePalm:

4 hours ago, Mouse said:

Also, what happened to Wenchuan and Wei Man after they lost the baby? Were they still together? Did he die after falling off the balcony with Shi Yi?

In the novel, he died. 

4 hours ago, Mouse said:

When Shi Yi was in a coma, did she dream about her past with ZSC? How was the diary that ZSC was reading related to it all? 

Because I'm not at that part, my guess is that the diary you're referring to is the book Shiyi wrote. In her book, she wrote: “Beautiful bones. Those with bone do not have skin. Those with skin do not have bone. Yet, most people’s eyes are shallow, seeing only the skin-deep appearance and not the bones.” I don't know if this has come up in this modern version, but in One and Only, it was something Xiao Yu said when they were all drinking together to celebrate the new year. 

Zhousheng Chen and Shiyi actually has three babies at the end of the novel! They had a pair of girl twins who were two years old and Zhou Mushi who is one year old. Did they only show the son at the end?

Sharing the parallel of Mei Xing and Wenxing:

And I agreed on your comment about Mei Xing, @Mouse. He was truly the best to Zhousheng Chen because he is repaying a debt in this lifetime for what he did in their past life. 

• Insightful 1
7 hours ago, Tofu said:
12 hours ago, Mouse said:

When Shi Yi was in a coma, did she dream about her past with ZSC? How was the diary that ZSC was reading related to it all? 

Because I'm not at that part, my guess is that the diary you're referring to is the book Shiyi wrote. In her book, she wrote: “Beautiful bones. Those with bone do not have skin. Those with skin do not have bone. Yet, most people’s eyes are shallow, seeing only the skin-deep appearance and not the bones.” I don't know if this has come up in this modern version, but in One and Only, it was something Xiao Yu said when they were all drinking together to celebrate the new year. 

I haven't reached the end of FAE so I can't really comment on how this moment from the book was portrayed in the drama, but I thought I'd share that in the book, SY retained her memories of their past lives.  (As has been discussed in this forum before, it's the reason why she trusts ZSC so implicitly once they meet in the present life.)  Therefore, in the book, when SY was in her coma, ZSC read her diary.  When she finally woke up, he made references to what she'd written - such as having finished writing for her the poem about the beautiful bones, promising to take her around the city to see everything (even though he can't do it in a horse) as that was something she'd yearned for in their past life, and that he must have used his 'beautiful bones' in the past to exchange for her being so beautiful in the present life and to remember him.  And then he tells her that while he doesn't remember their past life, he does believe her that it existed -- which is especially huge as ZSC is otherwise a man of science.

7 hours ago, Tofu said:
12 hours ago, Mouse said:

So when Wenxing apologized to Shi Yi, was it for the boat accident? Did she intend for Shi Yi to fall so that it would make ZSC worry and be scared to lose her?

Yes, that's correct! Isn't that a not so great reason?! :PikachuFacePalm:

Haven't watched this part in the drama yet either so I don't know what explanation is offered, but in the book, it's explained that through ZSC's fear of losing SY, Wenxing hoped he'd give up the family and leave.  She didn't want to watch the family members fight members fighting it out against each other until one had to die in order for the other to live.  As explained in another part of the book, "It was very difficult for those of the Zhou family to have their lives taken by outsiders. The only people who could provide a true threat to them were their closest family," so that's what Wenxing was hoping to avoid (selfishly, she admits) by targeting an 'outsider' like SY who was also someone ZSC cared about. 

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

Thank you @Tofu and @themarchioness for your explanations! Totally helped to clarify some things for me.

In the drama, they don't show their kids (oh how I wish they did!!). They only mention that they plan to name him Zhou Mushi.

I hadn't realized that Wenxing was the reincarnation of Xing Hua but it's quite nice that they switched circumstances in modern life. So it looks like they, too, are fated to be together. 

As for ZSC, can you tell me what the agreement was that he drafted with Mei Xing in the end? My understanding was that ZSC is going to relinquish his inheritance to Zhou Ren after 10 years as his interest remains in research. His only condition was that they invest in manufacturing in China. What exactly was it that he was walking away from? 

• Like 1

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

On 9/24/2021 at 9:49 AM, Mouse said:

As for ZSC, can you tell me what the agreement was that he drafted with Mei Xing in the end? My understanding was that ZSC is going to relinquish his inheritance to Zhou Ren after 10 years as his interest remains in research. His only condition was that they invest in manufacturing in China. What exactly was it that he was walking away from? 

The future head of the family will be Ren, and not ZSC.  He gave up his right to that position.

• Thanks 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

Since we answered your questions previously from the book angle, I thought I'd loop back from the drama angle now that I've finally finished it.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:18 PM, Mouse said:

From what I can understand, ZSC's mother died and his father was forced to marry the stepmother (cannot remember her name). As to why.. that part is a little unclear to me. I do know that she and the 2nd uncle had feelings for each other. But then there's this conversation between the two of them where he asks her how long she intends on repaying her debt and all I can say is... "what debt?" This part was not clear to me.

The previous answer given from the book is essentially the same as in the drama... ZSC's father married her for his son, since his mother died in birth.  The stepmom was the daughter of a family connected to the family.  As you can probably tell from Wenchuan marrying Tong Jia Ren, those families of a certain class tend to move within each other, which is how the arrangement between ZSC's father and stepmom ended up coming about.  But she was actually in love with the 2nd uncle and the result of their affair was the twins.  

As for Ren -  I adore him. He is like a mini version of ZSC. However, who are his parents? How is he related to ZSC? Why is the entire clan so protective of him?

As previously mentioned, he's ZSC's younger cousin and son of 2nd uncle.  ZSC's stepmom has been raising him, though, since Ren's mom is deceased.  I couldn't remember if the drama had revealed the identify of his mom... but in the last scene where Tong Jia Ren makes makes an appearance, SY makes a comment about it so they must have at some point.  Anyway, Tong Jia Ren's sister is ZSC's mom... that makes for one awkward family tree!  :P  

[Also, the drama doesn't really get into it because it kept the triad aspect of ZSC's family on the down low but in the book, his mother married into the family to investigate their shady business dealings and after that was discovered, the family punished her with death.  Yikes!  But, recall my previous quote from the book about how the only threat to the Zhou family is their own family members!]

So when Wenxing apologized to Shi Yi, was it for the boat accident?

She was also behind the poisoning incident... not sure how clear that was in the drama, but it was played off as she came down with appendicitis (I think it was, can't really remember what illness ZSC claimed it was). 

Also, what happened to Wenchuan and Wei Man after they lost the baby? Were they still together? Did he die after falling off the balcony with Shi Yi?

As in the book, he died in the drama.  When his mom was weeping outside of the operating room and 2nd uncle rushed in, she wailed that she'd lost both her children.  

Yes... since reincarnation is not allowed due to censorship, a loophole tactic often used is "dreams."  And that's what they used here.  She dreamed of their past when she was in her coma.  As for the diary, from the excerpts read aloud, sounds like it's something she used to record her interactions with ZSC after they met in the airport and also included her thoughts regarding historical ZSC, who she'd researched after the dubbing project she worked on.  In this way, the drama was able to include the same scenes that occurred in the book after SY woke up from her coma -- but I have to say, without the reincarnation concept, it fell flat for me in the drama.  

I try not to hold that against the drama as I know censorship's not its fault, but it's a miss, really.  :letalQQ:

Edited by themarchioness
  • Thanks 1

My Fanfics