Rattan ll Si Teng 司藤 [2021]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks to @Tofu I discovered this great drama. I binge-watched it because I just couldn't stop. I didn't really like the first episode due to the awkward CGI/special effects with the car wreck (the rest of the CGIs are great though!) Fortunately, my initial motivation for watching was to see more of Si Teng's fashion. The story is so interesting that I continued watching. Would've finished the drama yesterday but to be honest, towards the end, it felt rather anti-climatic for me that it took time for me to go through the last four episodes. After Si Teng "died", the story was just not interesting anymore. I mean, this is a fantasy genre. The problem of their reunion could just be resolved with one episode instead of going about it for so loooong, looking for a logical explanation? But we don't really need logical, do we? A drop of blood could do, hahahaa.... it's fantasy after all. We don't need to wait for 5 years, or even 15 years to have a resolution for our couple, LOL.... I'm not sure, maybe they're trying to follow the novel. I also don't think we also need two alternate endings to choose from, LOL... 

Anyway, things that I love about the drama are:

- The sceneries are gorgeous... so much so that I looked up where are the places they filmed in. So the major part of it is filmed in the province of Yunnan, in Dali. There's a lake near Qin Fang's house and surrounding the lake are resort hotels. LOL, one more travel destination added to my list. Except that this is quite far into the mainland.

- The legend/history of Si Teng and the Xuan Sect. The reveal and development of their past grievances and resentments were paced nicely and resolved nicely too. The action fighting scenes and CGIs are done well too. Been such a long time ago since I enjoyed action fighting in Chinese dramas. The flashbacks are placed appropriately and transitioned into present narrative well too. 

- The side characters who provided comic relief for the drama. Yan Fu Rui and Wang Qian Kun! Too bad little boy Wa Fang had lesser screen time. 

- The chemistry of our leads. Their character's push and pull. The bickering when together but missing each other when apart. Love watching the two of them so much. I even searched for their clips and watched their Happy Camp. Here's the cut version of only their scenes.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

AHHH! You finished!! Yay!! I'm so glad you liked it. 

8 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

A drop of blood could do, hahahaa.... it's fantasy after all.

Hahahahaha!! Yes, exactly!! I had the same feeling about the ending too. The concept of getting reborn was in novel so they tried to stay true to that even though I didn't think it was necessary. You're done watching it so now I can share, in the novel, Si Teng is actually Qin Fang's grandma's twin sister. It's a forbidden love story but for the drama they changed it (also because of censorship too). I'm all for the change though. It would have been strange to get that invested in their love story and then be told she is his grandma's sister. :laugh:

Yes on the locations! They are breathtaking and I want to visit some day too! 

Jing Tian is very petite and Binbin just has bigger bone structures so there was a trending topic of how big Jing Tian's hand is in comparison to Binbin's. The beginning of the video will go over that. HAHAHA!

• Heart Eyes 1
5 hours ago, Tofu said:

how big Jing Tian's hand is in comparison to Binbin's.

I notice that too in one of the last episodes! When she reached out her hand and he took it. Wait let me go check which episode. 

So in the novel, did they end up together? Was QF also an alien. LOL, I just found out it’s due to censorship that Chinese dramas don’t allow the use of “demons” anymore, so that’s why they use the term “aliens”. So sci-if. Felt weird for me while watching, but now I know, haha...

And another amazing trivia I found out is that they finished filming in January 2019!! Took them 2 years to air the drama. Is that common for Chinese dramas? Or this is due to the pandemic that it took so long? I know Chinese dramas are preproduced because they need to obtaib censorship before airing. 

• Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@ktcjdrama Here's what someone wrote about the ending of the drama:

After Si Teng was able to return Bai Ying into her body, she left him (I believe she returned to original form as a vine and must restart her "learning" in order to have human form again. For years after that he went looking for. Turns out Si Teng became a little girl, deemed an orphan, and was taken in. The woman who took her in ends up also being someone like her, but whereas Si Teng is a vine, that woman is Bamboo. The bamboo didn't know Si Teng is also a demon. QF meets Si Tengthe little girl form (now he is much older than her), some incidents happen and he figures out she is Si Teng. She returns to her adult human form thanks to taking the essence from the Bamboo mom (Bamboo mom is kinda crazy, she had reared a human girl before Si Teng and attempted to kill the teenage girl later because she was ruined by having indecent pictures taken; QF had managed to save this girl, nearly losing a finger). When QF met Si Teng as a little girl, Bamboo mom was raising her and naming her after the girl who she tried to kill. This teenage girl fell in love with QF but knows he doesn't have a place in his heart for her.

Si Teng when returning to her adult form, allowed the little girl form of herself to remain and had QF finally a good family to take her in. I'm guessing Si Teng wanted the young Si Teng to have a better childhood than she had. Years later, when this young Si Teng is now a teenager she was curious as to where she came from. Before Si Teng and QF left her with the family, QF instructed the family if the little girl ever wondered about her to give him a call. In those years before the girl became a teenager, QF hasn't aged. The teenage Si Teng meets QF and Si Teng again. She is confused, possibly not able to take in what they tell her even if she was the one who asked. Si Teng as a gift make her forget about them and returns her to the family.

At the end of the novel QF and Si Teng are together and Si Teng even jokes that if he ever leaves her (like she had him in those years he went searching for), she will find him and cut his legs so he can never leave her. (Credit)

17 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

And another amazing trivia I found out is that they finished filming in January 2019!! Took them 2 years to air the drama. Is that common for Chinese dramas? Or this is due to the pandemic that it took so long? I know Chinese dramas are preproduced because they need to obtaib censorship before airing. 

It's because they go into post-production after filming which can take a while if there are CGIs. Then they have to get through multiple censorship. If it doesn't pass, they have to re-submit until it does. If the streaming platform wants to have a banner of the drama, it goes through a separate round of censorship too. It's kind of intense and crazy. You never know when a drama is going to drop and sometimes they do it the day before or even the day of too! At the beginning of the summer, they released a drama that filmed either 5 or 7 years ago. LOL!! 

13 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Found it! It's in ep.30. When they were at the carousel. Look at the difference!

OMG!!! The difference is hilarious. This was the trending post on their hand difference. That third picture of him sleeping....:lmao2:

Just more of them that I absolutely adore seeing!

Spoiler

• Heart Eyes 1
23 minutes ago, Tofu said:

@ktcjdrama I just realized you didn't play the guess the drama game for JH's anniversary. I had a Rattan clip that barely anyone recognized. You would have recognized it! Haha!

They are too cute. Did you watch them on Happy Camp? 

Yes, yes, I watched them already. I ship them bad. 

Yeah... I just realized I missed the guessing game after it’s over! LOL, that’s probably the only one I recognize from C-drama. I know all the K-drama though. So sad, the badge is so pretty too. LOL too many things going on at once. 

• Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif