Strangers 2 / 비밀의 숲 시즌2 [2020]

UnniSara

@abovewalls 

I've been labouring under the impression since the end of S1 that given time some thing could happen between the leads. It's not a deal breaker for me but there are hints here and there that Si-mok interacts with Yeo-jin differently from others. At the start of the season when they first meet to have drinks, he behaves shyly and awkwardly around her. He doesn't even do that with Lee Yeon-jae from Hanjo. I'm not sure now if they'll go down that route since everyone's been kept on their toes.

I certainly agree that S2 hasn't had the zing or that edge-of-the-seat quality of S1 but I'm still enjoying it. There was a bit of an information overload in those early episodes and in this season I find that I have to rewatch most of the episodes at least twice. Thankfully the assortment of characters make up for the show's shortcomings. The writing especially of the dialogue is still good but the approach for the set-up (IMO) could have been better. It's true too that S1 set the bar quite high.

Woo Tae-ha and Choi Bit are an interesting pair. I too have wondered from time to time if they were formerly lovers of some description. That's part of the cleverness of the writing that's still evident in this season. It's one of the things that continues to have me guessing. The other one is who they're covering for.

I'm still watching because I love a good whodunit and this is still quite entertaining.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I still like the interactions between SM and YJ, even if it doesn't lead to actual romance this season either. However, SM does interact with YJ differently. And, it was cute when YJ asked him if he was annoyed with her. Of course he denies it, but it's interesting to think that YJ can get SM to feel something even if it's slight. I do think that SM has been changing throughout this season, definitely compared to last season. And, even if not romance, I definitely think that SM and YJ have a solid friendship.

Also, I was happy that YJ ran after SM because she was concerned about him when he left the conference room. I could see that she was hesitating because of everyone else in the meeting, however, I was happy she chose her concern over SM over doing the "correct" thing.

And, now that Choi Bit, Woo Tae Ha, and Lee Yeon Jae are point blank asking each other what happened to SDJ, I'm inclined to think that he's still alive, but makes it a bigger mystery of who kidnapped him and why.

• Like 8

The other half remarked that nothing was resolved after Episode 12 and while I agreed with him on that I don't think that was the purpose of the episode. I didn't find myself seriously disagreeing with anything that was said at the police-prosecutor council meeting although I wondered about the relevance of bringing up certain points. Making the argument that the divvying up of investigative rights based on corruption prevention was probably not the strongest negotiation point. Corruption is not going to end just because one side has less power. That is not going to happen.  I'm sure both sides being adults are aware of this but it became a talking point because nobody wants to give in. What we're consistently seeing is tribalism at its most egregious. As Geon points out, it's all about taking sides and defending them, rather than about coming to any kind of workable compromise for the greater/public good. But we already knew that this "committee" is little more than a show piece.

Of course we also know that the real purpose of the second meeting is not about finding a resolution but throwing Si-mok and Yeo-jin off the scent regarding the trail of Dong-jae's disappearance.. In overwhelming them with research and paperwork, it's misdirection by bureaucracy. However, as we all know, those two have minds of their own.

While we're all concerned I also don't think finding Dong-jae is really the point of the latter half of the series. I'm glad to see that he's still breathing and the meanwhile the kidnapper has no intention of getting rid of him (yet) but I'm more intrigued about the kidnapper's motive for holding on to him. Seems unnecessarily troublesome to me. Why not kill him and chuck his body somewhere? What is he/she trying to achieve? Exposure is my guess.

As the Park Gwang-su angle becomes more protracted, we are meant to see something more in the contrast between the prosecutor-police pairings. When Choi Bit says that Si-mok and Yeo-jin share everything, I had to chuckle at the irony in that comment. Whatever Woo Tae-ha and Choi Bit's history is, and their current tribal affiliations, they are absolutely united in the cover-up related to Park Gwang-su's death. PSG was a corrupt prosecutor that escaped indictment and conviction. It seems that his friends in the Prosecutor's Office lent him a helping hand in that regard. That's pretty standard stuff. I guess it's enough to rock the boat although I wonder if there's not more to that. Si-mok and Yeo-jin despite being on opposite ends still fundamentally want the same things in the larger scheme. 

It is somewhat humorous too that everybody is a bit jumpy over what O Jeong-su's been doing contacting Choi Bit  and Chief Kang while doing Lee Yeon-ji's bidding. It reminds me of a poker game and everyone's wondering what kind of hand the other players holding.

I very much appreciate the way SM and YJ interact personally. I love the way she teases him. It doesn't feel out of place actually and personally it's much needed lighter fare in the midst of hostile axes that grind relentlessly. More than anything, I love how SM is there as a sounding board, to remind her of her own principles... not to lose herself in the mire of trying to be loyal to her side. Everyone wants a piece of them... to exploit their skills, their achievements and the pressure is on them to dance to the organization's tune. But it's pleasing that they have this personal, protective space that they can breathe, to say things that they can't when others are around.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Which drama is the most talked about ??? 

Stranger2  & Cho Seung Woo 

If interested in buying the script of Season 2 click Here

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

It is not looking promising for SDJ. He is likely dead as per eps 14 preview :cry:

[Lee Joon Hyuk was busy filming for 365 Repeat the Year at the same this was being filmed . So this was how he juggles both..yes ,go missing for half the drama and end up dead  ! Sobs]

• Like 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Hey everyone 

I knew Chief Kang was going to get himself in hot water. Ex Judge Oh Joo Sun dragged him into this mess.  

My understanding of what is going from episode 13.

Woo Tae-Ha and Choi Bit are close friends. I now wonder if this friendship is exactly like Si Mok and Han Yeo-Jin. I don’t thinks so. Their friendship may be based on benefits unlike MokJin they actually trust each other.  They understand each other and both really want justice for victims. I wonder is CB really looking out for HYJ or does she want to drag HYJ into a black pit like herself.  IMO I don’t think she can be a good mentor.

I would like to give the writer around of applause for her red herring in ep 13. How many of you loved this scene when Si Mok was comparing Kim Sa Hyuns photo to the picture on his phone.

Question needed answer.
Is The Tongyeong drowning case connected to school & Itaewa n area bullying? 

Was PGS, OJS, KWC working on off the book’s investigation on Hanjo Global Corporation? 

Is Lee Yeon Jae involved in this under her husband’s name??

I knew the witness for the Tongueon

drowning case was fishy. The look he gave Lee Yong-Ho was alarming for me . Is this what put him on this path?? Or the fact SDJ became to nosy. Shm smh 

I found the fact Woo Tae Ha actually believe he can control Si Mok but I know that Lee Yeon Jae believes SM can be controlled. Lol I love her sarcasm when she said she was glad he can control SM. 
They are in for a big surprise when HYJ and  HSM find SDJ. 
@SnowBlob @abs-oluteM @mademoisellesia

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

3 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Btw, anyone else think that Lee Yeon Jae's assistant, Managing Director Park, is in love with Lee Yeon Jae?

Very much in love @stroppyse But Lee Yeon Jae is still madly in love with her deceased husband.  I think she will remain single forever.  I thought I was the only one who saw that.

Choi Bit keeps hinting that Han Yeo Jin wants more of a relationship with Si Mok.  
hmmm is that true or is it the writer trying to get more viewers. Lol for another season. Lol 

• Haha 3

Oh my, I saw the preview because people are saying on my TL first time Shi Mok loses his temper. And still no sign of Glare Glare. Unbelievable. I've stopped watching at ep10. I am going to wait till it finishes and marathon it instead. This way I feel I can process the information better than having to be fed some and waited for a week for next. I'd forget by then.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1

Ohmygosh! SM does lose his temper! Though, it's not clear whether he really lost his temper, or whether he was faking it to get the suspect to answer his questions.

Spoiler

They found SDJ! He's alive! Though not sure what state he's in.

Also, there is still mystery surrounding why evidence was faked to implicate the chief who had been arrested for SDJ's kidnapping before.

These later episodes are definitely faster paced and more tense. Having said that, I still am not sure how things are going to resolve! That is a very good story when you can't tell the ending even though they have fed us clues about the various players.

Also, how bad a guy is Woo Tae? Is he just normal crooked, or something else? Which means his relationship with Choi Bit is also very suspect. (not in the romantic sense, in their cooperative behavior sense)

Can't wait for next week's finale!

Also, totally off topic

Spoiler

Just watched the movie Tazza starring Jo Seung Woo, and now I can't get the site of him naked and kissing out of my head.  :MewGiggle:

• Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Lol . He must have been super human to survive a week without food or water

[But then again he did survive a bombing in Designated Survivor 60 Days and had his body parts chopped off in the Lies Within :laugh:]

• Haha 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

The last couple of episodes were very good... much more like what I remember of S1. The best part is seeing how all the cases are interlinked. It sure was worth persevering through.

I suppose we shouldn't be that surprised that Dong-jae got through that bit of trauma. He was always a survivor and his will to live probably got him through. It was especially sweet of Chief Kang to call Si-mok and ask after him.

Hard to believe there's only a week left. By then I imagine all three featured cases will be wrapped up and heads will roll.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@abs-oluteM I jumped to the end to watch that part. I think he was given water. I remember there were empty water bottles around him at the time of kidnap. There was news about a lost boy who survived for a week (I think, can't remember details) on his own in the wild before he was found too and he had some mental disability too. Why LJH keeps being tortured (or offering himself to be tortured, LOL)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just finished ep.14-15... Finally some thrilling scenes from the later episodes. I’d be honest I stopped watching for a while because the politicking (meetings) bored me, and I zipped through some of the episodes. Love the suspense and tension in the later episodes though. And am I glad that Seo is found alive! The scene of his wife watching TV made me cry. Sorry that I once doubted her and was suspicious of her. 

I am now trying to recall that strange phone call HSM claimed to receive. What is it about? Anyone remember off hand? 

Edit:

I went to check. It’s in ep.11. SM spoke on the phone with Woo and Kang separately. We don’t get to hear what the conversation between him and Woo because it was only the end of it. With Kang was a full phone call, but I see nothing strange with both phone calls (of course I have none of HSM’s detailed memory and observation lol). What I find strange is Woo being more concerned that the criminal is caught but shows no urgency to find the victim. 

My favorite line in ep.14 would be when HYJ told off the senior prosecutor. Both the English and Chinese translation sadly did it too formally. She was basically telling him so-what with the seniority; that “just because you’re a senior for the prosecutors, does that make you my senior too?!” 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Speaking of angry Si-mok, I've been rewatching the first season and yes, Mr Usually Equanimous Prosecutor does flip the lid. The most memorable one is when he turns to Young Eun-soo's Dad, former Justice Minister, Young Il-jae at the funeral and yells at the top of his voice: "Why didn't you fight?!" followed by a timely lecture on him not practising what he preached. I love it when Si-mok throws pious platitudes back at people.

But he loses it on more than one occasion. So what happened in Episode 14 with Kim Hu-jeong isn't outside the realm of possibility.

On 9/29/2020 at 6:40 PM, ktcjdrama said:

My favorite line in ep.14 would be when HYJ told off the senior prosecutor. Both the English and Chinese translation sadly did it too formally. She was basically telling him so-what with the seniority; that “just because you’re a senior for the prosecutors, does that make you my senior too?!” 

Is that the scene where she stuffs the guilty lad into her car while dad's watching with Si-mok holding him?

The Netflix subs has it as "You're his senior not mine." Very short and sweet. But I do hear the "prosecution" word being used in this context.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Is that the scene where she stuffs the guilty lad into her car while dad's watching with Si-mok holding him?

The Netflix subs has it as "You're his senior not mine." Very short and sweet. But I do hear the "prosecution" word being used in this context.

Yes, that’s the scene. It’s the tone when she said it that gave the “in-your-face” satisfaction 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

On 9/27/2020 at 9:32 AM, UnniSara said:

Woo Tae-Ha and Choi Bit are close friends. I now wonder if this friendship is exactly like Si Mok and Han Yeo-Jin. I don’t thinks so. Their friendship may be based on benefits unlike MokJin they actually trust each other.  They understand each other and both really want justice for victims.

When watching the past few episodes, I actually got the feeling that WTH and Choi Bit were just like Shi Mok and Yeo Jin in the past. But maybe somehow along the way, their collaboration and protectiveness of each other erred towards grey areas? Hence they ended up like how they're currently. So in comparison with Shi Mok and Yeo Jin, both of them are able to stay in the 'right' path although this prosecutor vs police investigation authority did test their partnership. Glad thought they seemed to pass this and now we're seeing the both of them solving crime/s together as how they did in S1. 

I must say up to (can't remember which episode now)... I got a bit annoyed with Yeo Jin..ahh..i remember..because she was withholding certain information from Shi Mok when the prosecutor was supposed to be briefed first thing when police found out any clues etc. But again, that's now in the past, and I like the both of them now as how i did in S1.  

Yay to SDJ not being killed off (at least up to ep 14). And hope that he'll recover fully and get to have his happy ending. 

I was actually hoping that the policeman who committed suicide case didn't end up that way. That was actually the case which I had the most interest in...and I was expecting it to be solved cleverly with some twists here and there. So when it was just concluded that he did commit suicide..I just felt that it was a bit too 'easy'. 

Bring on ep 15 and 16:PikaSwag:

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

4 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

I must say up to (can't remember which episode now)... I got a bit annoyed with Yeo Jin..ahh..i remember..because she was withholding certain information from Shi Mok when the prosecutor was supposed to be briefed first thing when police found out any clues etc. But again, that's now in the past, and I like the both of them now as how i did in S1.  

@SnowBlob I was also annoyed by her too. Her issue was that felt gratitude and didn’t want to disappoint CB at all. Her pride also was in question about getting promoted for her knowledge and not just for show. 

• Like 3