Awaken 낮과 밤 [2021]

Darkarcana

Gahh why do  they have to push the love line between Hye Won and Jung Woo? It does nothing for the show. And there's no love triangle , as Jamie is more suspicious of him being the one behind this. Also she caught on to HW's feelings for JW , and she perhaps noticed that JW cares for HW. 

Anyway what I did like was the interactions between Jamie and JW.  Not because I thought it was romantic ( though I chuckled quite a bit when their team mates thought they were in a relationship) ..but because both JW and Jamie are both trying to suss each other out. Clearly both are trying to look for answers to their past. It was interesting that Jamie mentioned that a monster had saved her. I believe this refers to JW ( though she had no idea that young child who set the village on fire is JW)and  why that is the case is because whatever experiments they are doing on the kids had progressed quite far with JW then. I am just wondering if we're going for some XMen/ Mutant sort of thing now.

QRoPL8q.png

Noticed that the other young chap, Jae Woong  also had some effect on his environment every where he went. 

Hmm okay so did someone at the police station send the clues of the victims to the "reporter" beforehand? And I wonder who that young girl who abducted Jamie works for?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Regardless of whether Hye-won's infatuation of Jung-woo comes to anything, the problems of the show lie much deeper. Fundamentally the show isn't as cohesive as it could be and the so-called romance angle is symptomatic of it. As I've said before, there are good ideas floating around but the execution really needs to be more disciplined. Apart from the exchanges with sexual innuendo in which their colleagues think they're dating or sleeping together, the humour doesn't quite work for me. It's obviously not the writer's strongest suit. Neither is the romance for that matter. The jealousy scenes are awkward, clumsy and the actress doesn't do it for me. What's also not helping is that her performance doesn't stack up against the more experienced actors.

The drama needs to be a lot clearer about what it wants to be rather than just go through the motions of introducing various plot elements because it feels obligated to do so. Doing quirky for the sake of humour isn't always effective. In fact, it can seem contrived.

But I'm still watching in hopes that things will get better as soon as the show works out some of its kinks and move on to the guts of the story. The White Night Village angle is fascinating. What were they really doing that? What were the children doing there? Were they experimental subjects? Was there abuse? Why was the place razed to the ground? Those are the sorts of things I'm waiting for. Jung-woo, the survivor with possible telekinetic abilities feels potentially interesting. His connection to Jamie, the Computer Boy, the kidnapper and all the smug men in suits could all be good lines of inquiry. 

I hope the show gets to them soon. 

I don't care if the show advertises itself as a romance show. Audiences shouldn't have to accept in robot-like fashion what they're told if the presentation itself fails to be convincing.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

After four episodes, I only have one question. 

e7af8a8e18c0bf64b941cfa91b1850d4.jpg

I can hardly get the romance arc either. I dont find it necessary for this plot. 

I think I just came here for NGM memes from now on and just wait what  the White Village is actually hiding. 

Out of context,  i find this funny. NGM do have something inside that leather jacket worthy of flexing :Ghastlel:

ImageImage

• Haha 4

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

On 12/10/2020 at 7:00 AM, abs-oluteM said:

Gahh why do  they have to push the love line between Hye Won and Jung Woo? It does nothing for the show. And there's no love triangle , as Jamie is more suspicious of him being the one behind this. Also she caught on to HW's feelings for JW , and she perhaps noticed that JW cares for HW. 

I haven’t watched this week’s episode. But actually when I saw her snatching his lollipop and throwing it out the car window, I had suspected that there is more to their relationship... You don’t do that to your boss 😅 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Haha 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

10 hours ago, Darkarcana said:

I watched that part and I was like 🤨😑 honestly you know me, but I don’t really like romance. So seeing that she is jealous in mid conversation with JW and Jamie, I was like 😑...be professional lol

IKR, they seem intent on this love line...anyhow, drama is fortunate to have NGM - if not I would have dropped it.

BTS

TVN teasing us ....with lots of Jamie / JW content. They even compiled it

Spoiler

Interview with the leading ladies

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I’d be honest that I struggled so hard to watch ep.3-4... I paused so many times and picked up again another day. Really, if not for wanting to watch NGM in his role here, I think i would have dropped it already. There are too much talking which is hard to follow/understand. I may need to watch the English subs too, but don’t feel like spending double the time for each episode. Or maybe I should just switch to English subs for better understanding? Hmmm...

• Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

'Day and Night' Nam Goong-min's identity is revealed

(article autotranslated from here: https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=438&aid=0000031856)

202012144768_20201214103607309.png?type=

The identity of Nam Gung-min, hidden by the veil, is released without a break. What is the secret he has?

The production crew of tvN's Monday and Tuesday drama'Day and Night' unveiled a scene of Nam Goong Min with a cold look.

Earlier, a special team detective Do Jeong-woo (played by Nam Gung-min) shocked the home theater as a leading suspect in the serial preliminary murder. In addition to this, Jamie (Lee Cheong-ah), who suspected Do Jung-woo as a predicted killer, turned out to be from a white night village just like Do Jeong-woo, and turned the home theater over again. Meanwhile, as the content of the fifth murder notice, a fire broke out in the mansion of Son Min-ho (played by Choi Jin-ho), who was designated as a victim, and Do Jeong-woo jumped into the field to save him.

Nam Gung-min is at the foot of a remote mountain alone in the middle of the night, attracting attention. His cold eyes and a pale smile on his lips scare viewers. In addition to this, Nam Gung-min's changed appearance is also noticeable. Wearing an all-black suit, not an old leather jacket. At the same time, the change in his heart is felt, and the atmosphere of an instant flows, raising tension.

The production crew of'Day and Night' said, “The secrets of Namgoongmin, which were hidden by the veil, are expected to be released by pouring out like a tsunami. You can't take your eyes off of it for a moment, so look forward to the broadcast today.” (KBS Media Park Jae-hwan )

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Darkarcana said:

That’s a nice tight slap towards all shippers yeah..Ep 5..:BulbaConfused:

Why? 

This scene? hmm I know she tells him she cares for him or something & gave him a good yelling for doing what he did. 

Spoiler

Interesting how he saved the old man and the maid. There was a big fireproof safe that he managed to carry the man into. But I wonder what it is that he's trying to do by putting blood in side the chemicals - was it to a way to explode the safe's door?   it was to generate oxygen using hydrogen peroxide.

Spoiler

They managed to save Jamie but I think Jamie is certain that JW is the killer and is asking for his arrest

Preview

Wow they do arrest JW and he goes to jail. JW tells Jamie he was that monster who saved her ( if I understood correctly

Spoiler recap articles for eps 5

Looks like he rejected her confession

Autotranslated from here: https://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111490975

Spoiler

In the fifth episode of tvN's Monday-Tuesday drama "Day and Night" (playwright Shin Yoo-dam, director Kim Jung-hyun), which aired on the afternoon of the 14th, Seolhyun asked Namgoongmin, "Do you like me?" Namgoongmin hit an iron wall and refused, saying, "Don't like me."

On this day, Do Jung-woo (Namgung Min) jumped into the fire scene to save people and was on the verge of death. However, Do Jung-woo miraculously appeared to save Son Min-ho (played by Choi Jin-ho), a victim of the pre-murder murder and the leader of the white night village, and swept the hearts of viewers.

Gong Hye-won (played by Kim Seol-hyun), who was worried outside, shed tears when she saw Do Jung-woo. When the topic expert asked, "How did you know there was a survivor?" Gong said, "I just believed it. "You're not going to jump into the ground if the sky collapses.

Afterwards, Do Jung-woo, who was looking at the victim at the controversial scene at the hospital, told Gong Hye-won, "Don't like me.'Cause I'm not interested in you.' Then Gong said angrily, "Did I tell you I liked you without knowing?"

"I shouldn't say it," Do said. "You go to another team." Gong Hye-won was angry, saying, "I was so worried, how can you say this when I saved you?" "Just let me transfer to another team. I'll stab you in the internal affairs department," he said.

This has better spoilers: https://star.mt.co.kr/stview.php?no=2020121421073521378

2020121421073521378_1.jpg

In'Day and Night', Lee Cheong-ah revealed that Nam Gung-min was the real culprit of the 'predicted murder' cases.

On the afternoon of the 14th, the tvN TV drama 'Day and Night' depicts the story of Jamie Leighton (played by Lee Cheong-ah) who was kidnapped by someone on the day of the fire.

Jamie Layton, kidnapped by someone, was forced to be tested while drunk. Jamie, who managed to find consciousness, tried to escape from the hospital, but was stopped and imprisoned in the hospital.

In addition, Jamie, who was intoxicated with drugs, recalled the nightmare-like memories of the past 'White Night Village'. Afterwards, Jamie dramatically escaped from the hospital room, and through the news, she learned that Do Jeong-woo (played by Nam Gung-min) was able to survive in the fire pile by generating oxygen using hydrogen peroxide.

In the news, a housekeeper, a survivor of the fire accident, stated in an interview that she was hiding in an underground vault with the help of Do Jung-woo. He said, "In a situation where oxygen is insufficient, Do Jung-woo generated oxygen by dropping his blood in hydrogen peroxide."

After seeing this, Jamie said to Ji-wan Jang (played by Shin-young Lee) of the National Police Agency Special Team, "The culprit is Jeong-woo Do. Hydrogen peroxide - Why was it in the vault? It must have been hard to breathe because of fire and smoke, but why is hydrogen peroxide in a big house that you've never been to, and how could Do Jung-woo bring it?"

After hearing this, Jang Ji-wan also questioned, "Even the helper said she didn't know there was a secret safe in the house, but how did the team leader Do Jung-woo know?"

Jamie countered by saying, "Do Jung-woo knew the location of the secret safe that only the owner and the designer knew," and added, "Do Jung-woo was looking at his watch before jumping into the house of Son Min-ho (Choi Jin-ho)." He was doing the calculations for what he planned.

Meanwhile, at the end of the play, Do Jung-woo was arrested and jailed for being the culprit of the "Preview Murder."

Gong Hye-won (Seol Hyun) went on to say, "It can't be because you're the culprit. There are more secrets hidden in this case," she said.

Just now, Darkarcana said:

20 cents he is not the preview killer, if he is, he wouldn’t have stab the guy..he would have used his preview to get it over and done with. Leave no trace behind. He is not that stupid to be leaving traces, definitely he got some motives.

He's not the killer. Too early in the show for this :pandahehe:. ahahahahah....I do think even being caught for all this is part of his calculated move to reveal some things. 

• Clapping Hands 2

The enigma that is Do Jung-woo is why NGM picked up this role. Of that I can be certain. It can't be because of the amazing script because the script doesn't quite know what's important and what isn't. The show is okay... declarations that it's the best thing this year is at best premature and I have my doubts. What I'm struggling with most of all is that the show is largely seen from the perspective of the two women which is all kinds of problematic. One hero-worships him while the other is quick to finger him as the culprit. Extremes on the spectrum. They are both unreliable narrators which in good hands can serve as good storytelling but the writer isn't sufficiently skilled in my view to pull it off in the way that the writer of To Love does.  The insertion of the shock jock broadcaster at every point ... feels frustrating more than helpful in part because he's an unlikeable. His entire purpose seems to be muddying the waters. My feeling is that the show is piling on mystery after mystery for its own sake rather than building an edifice from which to understands the story.

I would say that Episode 5 is somewhat of an improvement over the previous ones but the show seems to be stuck in a rut around Jung-woo's identity and motives. Sooner or later the show needs to get off this treadmill. The mystery of which surviving kid he is surely can't go on forever. 

The whole issue of Hye-won's infatuation of Jung-woo does nothing for me quite frankly. It's not very well-handled unless of course they're trying to suggest that she's just a big loudmouth kid at heart. That could be the writing or the acting but that's how it comes across to me. I don't find it cute and I suffer a certain amount of discomfort watching those scenes, inwardly wishing them away. The actress reminds me of Suzy. Decent when not a lot of nuance is required. But in the moments where there's no dialogue and you'd like to know what they're thinking, I get nothing and I feel nothing. It's a neutral blank look that could mean anything. Or there's a hint of a smile that doesn't fit the context. 

There's no doubt that the show has ideas that I like but when I compare this show with Uncanny Counter in its execution... oh my goodness... it is like comparing day and night. (No pun intended) This show has the potential to be really good -- the premise is good but the storytelling is very hit and miss for me.

• Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:48 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

The jealousy scenes are awkward, clumsy and the actress doesn't do it for me. What's also not helping is that her performance doesn't stack up against the more experienced actors.

Is Seol Hyun really the female lead versus Lee Chung Ah? And, does there really need to be a romance in this drama?

I just picked this drama up, mostly on the basis of Namgoong Min and Lee Chung Ah who usually both turn in consistently excellent performances, but so far, I'm finding this drama to be a mash up that I can't really make a lot of sense of.

So, there is something possibly paranormal/fantasy going on with the firestarters and the berserker behavior in the White Night Village 28 years ago. JW and Jamie are survivors of that incident, but without memories of it. But, it's not clear whether it is something paranormal or just children's memories of a scary time? And, how did the 7 children survive? Why did the adults all go mad, killing each other and worse?

It's a mystery about a serial killer, where JW and Jamie have an antagonistic push-pull kind of relationship which isn't about mutual attraction at all, but rather mutual suspicion and grudging respect. But the plot about the serial killer feels incomplete, and the reality crime tv show guy can't seem to decide what he's really after. Sensationalism and thus ratings is the implication rather than actually solving anything, I guess. Plus, it's a bit hard keeping track of the victims.

It's a weird romance as well, where there is the young girl cop who hero worships JW and thinks she's in love, and JW may or may not actually feel anything for her in return? Not that I could care less because that only serves as a weird distraction. The push-pull that I mentioned before between JW and Jamie is almost reminiscent in rhythm and allusions to a screwball comedy, which this is not. I think. I'm not sure. But what I am sure of is that there is not triangle romance here. Jamie and JW aren't interested in each other in that way.

I guess what I'm saying is that this feels like a hot mess to me, writing wise. It's not all bad. I'm actually enjoying the interactions between JW and Jamie, plus when they are actually working in tandem to get something done, like figure out the serial killer. I really want to like this drama, but not sure that I actually do.

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The actress reminds me of Suzy. Decent when not a lot of nuance is required. But in the moments where there's no dialogue and you'd like to know what they're thinking, I get nothing and I feel nothing.

This comment made me laugh. Not that I disagree. Though, I'm not sure that putting a stronger actress into the role would have been helpful, since I feel the problem is more with the way things are written.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Is Seol Hyun really the female lead versus Lee Chung Ah? And, does there really need to be a romance in this drama?

50 cents they made her the lead because Jamie and JW are related to white night and she is presumably not related to the white night. She is an outsider. So the story could be about both an insider and outsider perspective of trying to pry the white night case out to the open.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif

@stroppyse

To be honest I have no idea who the FL is supposed to be. There's some dispute on MDL regarding that. On some level I don't care too much as long as the storytelling is good. But like you and everyone else, I am struggling with the script.

No, I don't think it would make a huge difference as to whether Hye-won becomes more palatable with a better actress although it's possible a really good one can make up for some of the character development deficiencies. 

Spoiler

There's some speculation that Jamie and Jung-won might be related just because they have similar propensities but my view is that they were experimental subjects so it would make sense that they would share similar traits.

I feel like that there's a gulf in the reception of this drama. Some people on MDL think this is the best thing ever... and I'm scratching my head thinking we must be watching a different drama. And it could be that I watch tons of crime thrillers and this one really doesn't quite live up to the hype compared to so many that I've seen just this year.

I see a potential sci-fi angle but honestly it's far from being another Circle.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

SPOILERS FOR EPS 6

So Jung Woo reveals who he is to Son Min Ho. It is clear that Jung Woo had all this planned so that he would have this moment to confront Son Min Ho

Autotranslated from here: https://www.mk.co.kr/star/broadcasting-service/view/2020/12/1288364/

In tvN's "Day and Night," which aired on the 15th, Do Jung-woo (Namgung Min) was seen driving Son Min-ho (Choi Jin-ho) and Lee Ji-wook (Yoon Kyung-ho) into the forest.

On that day, Do Jung-woo found Lee Ji-wook and Son Min-ho who fled. Do Jung-woo asked, "Don't you trust people?" and Son Min-ho replied to him, saying, "He's an idiot."

Do Jung-woo then recalled the past, saying, "I am standing alone on an empty street where there is no one." The child, dressed in clothes with the number 113 on it, clenched his fist. Son Min-ho said, "Why are you doing this now?" and stabbed Do Jung-woo. Do Jung-woo said, "I'm curious. Is it daytime or night now?" and stabbed Son in reverse.

Prior to this , Son Min-ho had stabbed himself in preparation for all this. Do Jung-woo said, "Is Ji Young-geun still alive? If he were alive, wouldn't he be over 100 years old?  I guess what I left is working. Of course it wasn't perfect," he said, recalling the formulas he had drawn on the floor as a child. Do Jung-woo deeply stabbed him, saying, "Are you still working on it?"

Son Min-ho said, "I heard there is a secret research center. Oh Jung-won and Cheong Wa Dae's chief of staff are key figures of the foundation, he began to give conclusive testimony. Lee Ji-wook filmed all of this, and Do Jung-woo was found at the scene with a lot of blood on his face. Jamie Layton (played by Lee Chung-ah) who appeared at the scene fired a horror bomb saying, "Get off right away," and Gong Hye-won (played by Kim Seol-hyun) also said, "Stop it." As soon as he was arrested, Nam Gung-min said, "I remember, so the first shot is a horror."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So JW tells Jamie he was the monster who saved her . And even in her recent abduction where she was operated he wanted to help her as he knew she was suffering from these headaches. More in spoiler article after the YT video

Autotranslated from here:

Do Jung-woo faced Gong Hye-won after his arrest. Gong Hye-won asked Do Jung-woo, who was relieved of his duties, about the serial killings that preceded him.

In response, Do Jung-woo said, "There is no God. "I was born in  the White Night Village," he said, confessing his past experiment in a White Night Village. In the White Night village, young children were brought to experiment. 

When Gong Hye-won said that he made innocent people die. Do Jung-woo replied , "It's not them who are innocent. "The children are  the innocent ones who don't know anything and became subjects of these experiments ." He also confessed that he killed people by using his dreams .Do Jung-woo was eventually imprisoned on charges of attempted murder of Son Min-ho.

Jamie Layton (Lee Chung-ah) visited Do Jung-woo. She found out that Do Jung-woo was behind the surgery after learning that she had a headache. Jamie Layton then mentioned the White Night Village incident to Do Jung-woo and asked, "Why didn't we both stay on the record?" "Why did you operate on me?"

Do Jung-woo said, "I wanted you to live. You said it was the monster that saved you, right? "It's me." "And that monster saved you, so that's enough," he left a meaningful comment.

Do Jung-woo, arrested and jailed for murder. Attention is focusing on how he will unravel the veiled secret regarding the white night village incident in the future.

• Like 2

Wow - I did not expect the drama to be heading where I think it is heading- not sure if JW will survive till the very end. As I believe those experiments did some damage to his brains:

https://star.mt.co.kr/stview.php?no=2020121521033389198

After that, it was revealed that Do Jeong-woo had a brain tumor. Do Jung-woo collapsed with a nosebleed on his way to an investigation. Before he was imprisoned, Do Jeong-woo left a letter to his boss, Hwang Byung-cheol (played by Kim Won-hae), and revealed that it was time limit.

Do Jung-woo, who fell down, was admitted to the hospital. It was 'day and night' that added to the fullest curiosity to the life of the time limit, the circumstances of the serial murder case that has not yet been specifically revealed, and the background of the white night village incident.

As I had predicted , Hye Won's father is not as simple as he looks . He is the scientist behind the experiments on those children. Him whistling like that gives me the creeps. I wonder if JW had recruited Hye Won knowing who her father is.

---------

Preview - gosh are they still pushing the love line? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

Hye Won knowing who her father is

Someone on MDL theories that he is using her to get some keys(?) that’s why he hugged her. 

Brain tumours.....the story is getting more exciting for me personally because of my personal drama trope :love: cause I know definitely his tumour will make him act out irrationally at some point :lenny: I’m intrigued...but I swear if he dies that will be voice 3 version 2 TvN edition :popcorn: I really love this character...TvN! Don’t you dare!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif

Well, for almost the whole of ep.5 I was worrying about Jamie. Poor girl being abducted like that and conducted some experiments on that she didn’t know about. Who is that girl who took her!? Then how come Jamie ended up in a proper hospital? And hurray for a white truck having a working brake! LOL...

There are many scenes in ep.5 which I think is redundant and rather out of place with this potentially good drama. Anyway, ep.6 seems interesting so (for now) I will still continue only for the sake of NGM’s character and Jamie. Not that I’m shipping them but I want to know what happened to them when they were young. 

• Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif