Who Rules The World 且试天下 [2022]

NiteWalker

@peperomia I've watched the MV you uploaded and saw the few upcoming snippets hinting at what is to come. I was curious to know the novel ending (you've read it I believe?) as I have not read it. And I've decided never to read a novel prior to watching a drama, unless I just want to peek at the ending (then again the drama can choose to take a different route). I have had one experience prior to this where I read the novel and though the drama didn't deviate too much for certain key parts, I was still left dissatisfied with the way it was filmed. Thus, I've decided not to do so anymore.

Spoiler

Based on the novel summary I read in a blog I believe HC shot an arrow that severely injured BFX during the battle and to save her, HFX lost his youth and nearly his life, to save her; though this process was reversed, ending with him choosing her over the world. On the contrary, HC was left with the world and injured the very person he claimed to love, but ended up having a loveless marriage. 

In the drama though, it doesn't look like she has been shot by an arrow, instead it is the force of the explosion from the cannons that has injured her. Unless that scene has yet to come and will be shown when the episode is revealed. So, I don't know what is in store for us when it comes to HC and her. Whether HFX will be close to losing his life to save her, is also something we are not privy to (I think I saw his battle streaked face crying and I would link this scene with that of her being severely injured). But I think his fate is sealed, he will choose her over the world, that much I am certain. 

oh yes, I wonder how the stunt crew managed to pull that scene off where FQW and BFX almost seemed to be flying horizontally as they cut down a swath of soldiers. That was simply amazing!

• Clapping Hands 1

@peperomia I think I've just got an answer to the first spoiler para that I wrote you in the post just before this one... how closely does this drama follow the novel (for that particular portion of the story)

Spoiler

capture2b62cf3d79de7d77.jpg

a BTS featured online

Updated after watching E35-36

They got to meet, they got to meet!!!! [jumping for joy that FLX got to meet both father and brother, though it wasn't shown but implied for the latter, or was it referring to the earlier meeting at the treaty agreement??] Despite the death of her brother, I am comforted that BFX got to spend sometime with him and her father. It was a dignified death for the old King and I hope she finds out that her brother was killed in a cowardly fashion.

I liked the manner in which HFX comforted BFX when she stood atop the tower, the choice of words he used to reach out to her was caring enough without being overly protective. He tried to coax her to speak, fearful of not knowing what was going on in her head. And the way she grieved for her family fit BFX as a character, it was calm yet one could sense the inner turmoil she felt (the momentary look of confusion when she said she had no family and he said she still had him, it was as if she didn't know what to make out of that...)

I am also comforted that FLX volunteered to go with her; fair's fair - she was there for him and he will now stand by her side. Though I am a bit miffed at the revelation of how he found out, I would have much preferred had she told him instead of him easedropping or rather stumbling upon the truth. And I am equally miffed that he hadn't put two and two together prior to that. Silly scriptwriters, who don't take viewers' IQ into consideration - how can we believe that such a highly intelligent and scheming person, couldn't tell her identity from all the little clues prior to that?

Am enjoying BFX transform into a kick-a** queen/ general and that HFX only steps in when required. And finally, they're figuring out what a gentleman YWY is NOT!

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I really liked ep 35-36. If only the progression of FLX as heir to Yongzhou and BFX as FXY in Qingzhou would’ve happened 10 episodes ago, the drama would have lived up to its title much better.

On 5/14/2022 at 3:18 AM, IpohBanana said:

Despite the death of her brother, I am comforted that BFX got to spend sometime with him and her father. It was a dignified death for the old King and I hope she finds out that her brother was killed in a cowardly fashion.

I had faith that BFX would reunite with her father, but I wasn’t sure if she would be able to see her brother once more. It was comforting to see her father’s dying wish was fulfilled. Right before he passed, I was glad he also received closure that she never resented him for putting politics before family, but she had always regarded him as their pride. How her brother died was upsetting. I too hope she finds out YWY was behind this cheap shot and avenges for him.

Though I am a bit miffed at the revelation of how he found out, I would have much preferred had she told him instead of him easedropping or rather stumbling upon the truth. And I am equally miffed that he hadn't put two and two together prior to that. Silly scriptwriters, who don't take viewers' IQ into consideration - how can we believe that such a highly intelligent and scheming person, couldn't tell her identity from all the little clues prior to that?

I am still firmly holding onto the notion that HFX knew of her identity long ago and am not wavered by how the drama chose to "reveal"  it. If he didn't know all along, the things he did for her, especially the treaty in Liangcheng, wouldn't make sense - even YWY knew that.

Am enjoying BFX transform into a kick-a** queen/ general and that HFX only steps in when required.

I am too. I love BFX's wardrobe in Qingzhou. She looks amazing in her royal gowns and military attire.

And finally, they're figuring out what a gentleman YWY is NOT!

Yes, but I am curious if Huang Chao has any clue yet. It seems so to me so I wonder if he will choose his own path to ruling the world or follow YWY.

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 1

@peperomia The part that miffed me about the revelation was the typical 'viewers interpret what they want from a scene'. The hand movement - was it shock that her father was in ill health and/or surprise at her identity? I think it's a cheap trick when they do that or a sign of lazy writing/editing. Even if one is too lazy to write it into a script, adding in a few more explanations in the conversation between both would have resolved that. As for HC, I like that he pointed out to YWY that his suggestions/behaviour was a departure from his normal stand of 'world peace'. I like that HC wasn't giddy at the thought of impending world domination and he was able to keep his head screwed on right, at least in that very moment.

Thank heavens the teenage Head of the Sect is being portrayed in a more level-headed manner, with her wits about her. But I question the logic of bringing a young child along in such a dangerous situation and in letting him set fire to the barracks? Wow, the education curriculum in that sect must be outstanding!

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Good morning/ evening @gilaswan @peperomia

As expected the visuals at the wedding were grand and befitting of a queen. I don't know if having flower girls throw petals into the air constitutes 10 li or 5km of flowers (or was the adornment on the floor based on a floral pattern? sorry such details are lost on me, obviously I don't have a high level of attention to details :laugh:)

After last night's episodes, I felt gratified when HFX saw fit to inflict an eye for an eye injury - his future wife was slashed in the arm, and he returned the favour to Huang Chao. And the words uttered "He dared hurt my woman" (or sth to that effect) placated me; in the very least, I derived great satisfaction from the seething fury he expressed. HFX isn't given the opportunity to be romantic or affectionate that much (so in that regard getting to gush in this drama when he does, feels like stealing a treat when I am on a diet, few and far in between). Of course this comparison is relative and I was thinking of dramas like My Sassy Princess.

To be honest, I enjoyed the supper scene (more) where they both stole away from the formalities to indulge in a tête-à-tête, the night before the wedding. It was a priviledged moment that the director/producer allowed us as viewers to enjoy. Though the wedding formalities were grand, it was state function and a necessity, so it didn't quite tug at my heart strings. I'd much rather watch them interacting, without the inconvenience of an entire hall of officials. 

We are at the last two episodes, and as I await to bid this show farewell, I'd like to say, I now have a much better appreciation for angst. I've questioned why moments of angst were necessary in the past, and thought they were there merely necessary, as a typical component of a plot. But having watched this drama, I now realise that angst is important because when viewers experience the downs they can better appreciate the ups or the highs that follow. I believe the novel introduced a few angsty moments that caused BFX pain, but this drama has simplified it so much so that the angst is limited to physical injury which were very efficiently resolved. As they say, when there is no dark, what is the meaning of light, when there is no good, can one tell what is evil? I have a newfound respect for angst now, as long as it's executed properly and not thrown in just for good measure.

On my last note, I recently came across a term -  psychology androgyny - which refers to individuals with strong personality traits associated with both sexes, combining toughness and gentleness, assertiveness and nurturing behaviour (source: britannica.com). And I wanted to applaud the person who casted Zhao Lu Si in the role of BFX. There are few actresses who could have pulled off this role that required an individual with such traits (of course one that also is known as a traffic actor). Ma Si Chun and Yang Mi come to mind, but I think their age would not have fit the character. Thanks to her portrayal, we are able to find the character more believable. [If you watched the interview, when someone asked ZLS in an interview, what she thought was a romantic moment, she replied "When HFX created a carnage and cleared a path for her in the battlefield, the most romantic" - what a savage! Also evidence that she isn't quite our typical girl!]

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Clapping Hands 2

@IpohBanana My gosh, I loved these two episodes! They really showed how the couple can be total fierce in battle yet so sweet when the timing is right. Re: the wedding, I was happy that they had their own private time first the night before. I really enjoyed the ceremony too. All the ministers, including Feng Chang and FQW, were so elated for them. It was nice to see that after everything the couple has been through together to get to this point. Not that they truly desire to rule, but since they are fated to, I thought the court's support during the ceremony was meaningful. However, I think my favorite part of everything was Lord Yong voluntarily abdicating the throne so that his son could be equal with BFX, Queen of Qingzhou. When he announced this at the altar, I smiled when one of ministers said these two were a match made in heaven. I thought this reference paired well with their pendants from the Yue Lao (Deity of Romance) who is believed to unite couples destined to be bounded together with a red thread of fate. It also reminded me of the thread that HFX could not cut-off at Mount Wu and instead said to let it (BFX) be bounded to him forever.

I also really liked that it was FQW who went to Qingzhou to deliver the marriage proposal. I laughed when BFX asked her, "May I know who this this lucky girl is?" and when FQW said it was her (lordship), she nodded and smiled. I can't believe she purposely circulated novels about their love story as a strategy to gain support for their marriage. LOL. 

Sigh...the finale is tomorrow. I think there will be heartbreaking moments, but the ending will be good.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:46 PM, IpohBanana said:

As for HC, I like that he pointed out to YWY that his suggestions/behaviour was a departure from his normal stand of 'world peace'. I like that HC wasn't giddy at the thought of impending world domination and he was able to keep his head screwed on right, at least in that very moment.

I am surprised Huang Chao still hasn't figured out YWY's true intentions yet, but I agree with you that it seems he does have the interest of the people at heart. When BFX gave him a chance to withdraw from the battle now or lose more people, he chose the former which I was glad about that. Also, HFX doesn't seem to believe Huang Chao would be a part of YWY's masterminding. I am excited to see how this part will conclude!

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 1

@peperomia The mountain scene with the single thread that he couldn't sever, was poetic and had a nice philosophical touch to it. Those scenes were more memorable to me as they reminded me of the nostalgia, tied to my childhood wuxia days. 

The old man has such a face issue, that he couldn't let Queen Qi Yue outshine his son. And admitting that it was a face issue when his son said that their marriage was out of love, not about power was hilarious, that expression on his face!  :laugh: What a strange and trivial motivation to let his son ascend, after having such a firm grip on power. [By the way, I notice that he now sits by his father's side when he talks, and I think its symbolic of their relationship.] I think that scene and the publication of novels were the more light-hearted moments - I suppose with the very serious tone, this was a needed touch. The eunuch by her side explaining why her court officials were protesting was just as funny. The scene where BFX stood up to greet Qi Wu excitedly reminded me that deep down inside, there is a care-free girl yearning to have fun with her friends, but can't because she is the only one left now to shoulder the responsibility. Ironical that both father and brother tried to shield her from this care-worn world, only to have her take it on, totally by herself. [Side note: why would one do the make-up the night before? She can't sleep till the next morning? Won't her make up smudge while she is sleeping? face-palm moment]

About the heart break, yah, I know. I hope they don't drag it out too long. I already expect a HE, just wonder how it will play out. Have a laugh at the BTS though for what is meant to be a really sad scene.

Spoiler

Incidentally, I didn't anticipate that the timeline for their wedding was 1 year later, and then 5 years later, before the fight for power continued. Oh, and the cutie Han Pu, has grown up - but does one become a general at the age of 15 or 16? And this is assuming he was 10 or 11 then, but I think he was much younger?? Oh and I have one last question, was she the last person standing in that scene when FLX came rushing with his Calvary? I was looking high and low to see if there were any Fengyun troops left...

Edited after watching E40, they did what to the ending????

Spoiler

I thought in the novel, HFX's condition was reversed. But in the drama, they left him with 10 years to live and BFX to eventually grieve (as he said in the drama, he's the selfish one because he gets to leave first)???? What's so bad about following the novel ending? Even if we couldn't see his impending death, it left a very sour taste in my mouth. sigh.

It ended on a positive note, a carefree life for both, starting with them flying off into the sky after their decrees to the drawing of eyebrows for each other (in the middle of cooking, what??). HFX did choose BFX and HC chose the world [I knew HFX wouldn't keep the scroll, of course it had to be HC's]. They didn't linger on HC's loveless marriage, I don't think that was even a point in this drama, and he didn't injure her, the cannons did (so that part was written off unlike in the novel).

The part where she was healed by the old Master felt really like a rushed job and I felt a little hoodwinked (I am still wondering whether they had that much stuff to edit out, despite knowing the government ruling of 40 episodes ahead of time). Her getting out of bed and him not by her side seemed really strange, I am more used to the usual scene where the ML would have accompanied the FL till she woke up. That whole part from the moment she woke up till the fight with YWY felt like I was watching a drama at 1.5X mode. :laugh: And how convenient that the very person who saves BFX has the back story to the Yu family! [erh can someone explain how that old master even came into the picture in the first place? How did HFX know to reach out to him to save BFX?]

Edited by IpohBanana
16 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

The old man has such a face issue, that he couldn't let Queen Qi Yue outshine his son. And admitting that it was a face issue when his son said that their marriage was out of love, not about power was hilarious, that expression on his face! What a strange and trivial motivation to let his son ascend, after having such a firm grip on power. [By the way, I notice that he now sits by his father's side when he talks, and I think its symbolic of their relationship.]

Yes, the father did say that he needed face for Yongzhou, but I thought it made sense for him to think this way. He also followed up that by saying when people were trying to overthrow him, it was HFX who saved him. He trusts him and his abilities to ascend the throne. I don’t think it was just so BFX wouldn’t outshine Yongzhou. I am all for HFX to marrying purely for love, but it was unrealistic given the difference in their status. It would’ve been a nonissue if BFX was still just a princess, but the Qingzhou ministers wouldn’t have approved the marriage proposal if HFX didn’t match up to their queen. The father’s decision allowed them to be equal status and equal rulers. Either way, drama could’ve chosen to follow the novel as to how HFX became king or they could’ve had the father drag out his reign to his death. Whether it is out character or not, I liked that the father voluntarily turned over his power to his son instead. He can’t make up for his poor decisions in the past, but at least, he can do his best to treat him and BFX better.

About the heart break, yah, I know. I hope they don't drag it out too long. I already expect a HE, just wonder how it will play out. Have a laugh at the BTS though for what is meant to be a really sad scene.

Reveal hidden contents

Incidentally, I didn't anticipate that the timeline for their wedding was 1 year later, and then 5 years later, before the fight for power continued. Oh, and the cutie Han Pu, has grown up - but does one become a general at the age of 15 or 16? And this is assuming he was 10 or 11 then, but I think he was much younger??

I couldn't see the video in the spoiler in my region, but the heartbreak I was referring to was about Han Pu. I was dreading this part, but YY, ZLS and the teenage actor playing Han Pu did an excellent job with this scene. Also, this tragedy made me understand the fury in BFX, especially when she flew toward the cannons.

By the way, when BFX was injured by the cannons, HFX called out to her as “Feng Xi”. It reminded me that in the novel, he called out to her as “Xi Yun” instead. After her identity was revealed, HFX in the drama continued to refer to her as BFX whereas in the novel, he switched to referring to as FXY. I remember in ep 25, HFX couldn’t believe that BFX was jealous of a mere name (FXY) – she was not a different person. BFX or FXY, she is the same. Anyway, I like that she is always BFX in his heart which was why I didn’t really mind how it chose to reveal her identity.

Edited after watching E40, they did what to the ending????

In the novel, HFX only had a month to live before he was treated. It wasn’t specific if he was fully cured afterward so how many years that he had left in the novel was unknown. (There was less than one page about it.) To me, the fact that he still had white hair meant that he wasn't fully cured in there either. It is sad that they only have 10 years, but they could’ve died so many times, so I see it as a blessing that they can cherish the time they still have together in peace. Furthermore, who knows what other miracle cures they may encounter in jianghu in the next 10 years.

Keeping the 40 episodes limit in mind, I didn't mind the choppy editing toward the end. I would say that I only wished they shortened the Yongzhou family drama in the middle to accommodate more of the story in the back end because I really enjoyed it. The combo of the wuxia and state politics was what I originally signed up for. Nevertheless, I am pleased with how HFX, BFX and Huang Chao worked together to fight against YWY and how they emphasized that it in the end, it didn't really matter who ruled the world as long as the war stopped and the good of the people were at heart. The trust and promise between each other for peace was a good ending to everything.

Edited by peperomia

@peperomia It was a neat ending when it came to the power struggle (though I always thought that it was just a means to an end, both HC and HFX truly wanted world peace and sitting on the throne was the way to achieve it, neither coveted the power alone). That part left a good aftertaste, no doubt about that. And that HC still kept his wits about him and chose to believe the couple when it came to YWY, reiterated his underlying morality and values, which augurs well for the Dadong Empire. So, when our fine looking couple both 'abdicated' or relinquished their power to a bureaucrat and a general, it made a lot of sense. No point having so many cooks, one good chef, ie HC, is enough to rule the Empire.

the heartbreak I was referring to was about Han Pu.

>> I am not quite clear why Han Pu had to go at that juncture. To fulfil a vow he made to repay her for saving his life? To enable viewers to shed some tears? To show how the couple had both doted on him? As an opportunity to showcase a grieving BFX, after the death of her master, brother and father? Just to comply with the novel? Oh well...

so I see it as a blessing that they can cherish the time they still have together in peace.

>> I think back about the vow HFX made to BFX under the tree amidst a golden hue, "I can't promise you forever and ever, we both know that's a lie. But what I promise you is that I will hold your hand/ be by your side till the day I die." In that regard, he kept to his word. So, it's really about quality or quantity. I am somewhat comforted that he roughly knows how much longer he has and he can plan how he wishes to spend the rest of his days with her (I know for endings like that, viewers take two difference stance: "to accept the overt ending or secretly believe that somehow, somewhere, the protagonists will be able to change the fate in store for them."). If I were to go with the first stance, no one is spared from death, and knowing at least when one has to go, ironically has some advantages to it. Even if this is a wuxia drama, and they both have acquired jaw-dropping abilities, death is inevitable. I remember what Steve Jobs said at the commencement speech in Stanford "No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it." 

Spoiler

I woke up this morning (the usual post-drama withdrawal symptoms, and the first thought that came to mind was "What if I had 10 years left to live, what would I do? (or even less)" I must admit, it was a truly mixed-bad of feelings. And I'd like to think that spending my time watching this drama has allowed me to take something tangible away.

By the way, when BFX was injured by the cannons, HFX called out to her as “Feng Xi”. 

>> Yes, I noticed that, even from the trailers. I didn't know what transpired in the novel, but I agree with your POV, it warmed my heart that no matter how royal her blood is, he has and always will love the free-spirited BFX. 

this tragedy made me understand the fury in BFX, especially when she flew toward the cannons.

>> That was probably the main motivation, when heart took over head. A part of me also thinks it's her underlying values of destroying a device that has mass destruction capabilities. Even from the earlier episode, her stance was clear, those cannons had to go.

On a lighter note, I was browsing through another forum and laughed at someone's witty comment -

that the story had taken it rather literally when it came to the saying 白头到老 or to live together until one's hair turns white in old age. 

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 1

@peperomia@IpohBanana Have had a busy week and am finally getting to watch ep 40 now as I type this. 

As much as I was aware the endgame would have HC on the throne, it seems a little disappointing nevertheless that he’s the one who “won” in the end. For someone who could’ve been duped by YWY for so long, I can’t imagine him to be the better candidate for the throne. 

One thing though - I don’t quite get what YWY’s family was to be — just a gatekeeper protector of the imperial family (which duty they failed to fulfill because of personal greed for power)? And the Empyrean Token. What came of that? 

Maybe I’ll find the answers in Ep 40. In the meantime, I have this one comment about the last 4 episodes - too many meaningless fighting scenes (felt like someone needed to practice making CGI battle scenes and created one too many), too little about the people and. relationships. The only thing that was nice was the wedding. Meh. 

• Like 1

@peperomia@IpohBanana

OK. Just done watching. I’m not sure I like the ending but I suppose it makes sense. After all of that, why spend the rest of your limited years ruling the world?

Questions though;

1. So the Empyrean Token was never lost? Who has it then?

2. How did YWY lift the curse? I thought all he managed to do was to suppress it for a while? Clearly he surpassed 30 though. 

3. The Emperor just so easily abdicated? Hurh?? But he chose to hand the throne over to FLX? Because he’s the only one who was actually related to the imperial family by blood?

4. What happened to the magical flower? I thought there were many petals left. If only one petal could restore FLX’s inner strength, why could it not restore BFX or even FLX’s life?

5. How did YWY manage to keep the  Sacred Jade Moon skill when it was meant to only be a temporary imprint?

6. So FQW became the new Lord of Yongzhou? They left the leadership to their generals?

I agree the end seems rushed through, and I don’t see a point to Han Pu’s death. Too much time was spent on the first half of the show. All in all an enjoyable show though. 

• Like 2

@gilaswan

1. So the Empyrean Token was never lost? Who has it then?

>>YYW, he murdered the emperor and took it to lift the curse. It wasn't lost, the story of it being lost was circulated by the Emperor at the suggestion of YWY so that the states could fight amongst each other and not focus on the Imperial family. 

2. How did YWY lift the curse? I thought all he managed to do was to suppress it for a while? Clearly he surpassed 30 though. 

>>> answer above

3. The Emperor just so easily abdicated? Hurh?? But he chose to hand the throne over to FLX? Because he’s the only one who was actually related to the imperial family by blood?

>>> actually I have no idea, but I suspect that is right, because he has royal blood. After all, it was a joint army that entered the imperial grounds.

4. What happened to the magical flower? I thought there were many petals left. If only one petal could restore FLX’s inner strength, why could it not restore BFX or even FLX’s life?

>>> the worm ate it. LOL, no mention of it. Not only that, why don't you ask what happened to the Sect Head (the teenage leader) and her sect brother going to the border to investigate YWY? They disappeared from the face of the drama I believe.

5. How did YWY manage to keep the  Sacred Jade Moon skill when it was meant to only be a temporary imprint?

>>> I think he absorbed the know-how/power through the pearl. So, it's kinda like he imbibed a 3-d printer??? LOL

6. So FQW became the new Lord of Yongzhou? They left the leadership to their generals?

>>A bureaucrat cum general and a general, to be precise. I consider FQW more a bureaucrat though I think she still holds the role of general for her family's army.

For HFX, ruling the world was a means to an end, world peace. I don't think he was really besotted with the power, or the position, at least as compared with Huang Chao. So, if he can pass the mantle of leadership to someone else (who shares the same ideals of world peace) and spend what's left of his life with the woman he loves, why not? I still don't like the idea of 10 years, but then again as peperomia pointed out, they've led a particularly dangerous life all this while, so knowing when one has to go in a strange way is a blessing, even if it's a rather morbid one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@IpohBananaAh... thanks for clarifying the bit about the token. I mean, the whole show started cos of that dastardly thing. 

The teenage sect leader was the least interesting and most annoying character in the show. Clearly didn't matter to anyone that they left and never returned. Hahaha...

I think I was alright with the throne passing to Huang Chao after I saw that it was FLX who actually got the reigns, and he abdicated in favour of HC after HC willingly accepted FLX's leadership. That was good enough for me. 

YWY was arrogant to the end. How could he even think it was possible for him to survive being attacked by the other 3? Ah well... Wish there were more happy moments for the couple. Does seem like both their fathers left the fiefdoms to them with expectations they would protect the territories, only for them to cede control of it to the Emperor eventually. Indeed, the world belonged to the next generation.

• Like 2

@gilaswan YWY was borderline insane, all out for vengeance and indignant that the world owes him for the massacre of his family, and the curse placed on his family. Clearly the death of his family was at the hands of one person, so why would the rest of the world owe him? For BFX's father, I think he would have readily agreed with her decision, his priority was the people, not the power. As for HFX's dad, he's handed over the reigns and little he can do about it, but I think he would be somewhat uncomfortable at the thought of relinquishing all that autonomy. Still, his main priority is for the state to prosper, so if HC can guarantee that, it's not an either-or value proposition.

I saw that video on twitter, I think YY's dancing background clearly gave him an advantage, following the moves must have come easily to him, though I it was evident from ZLS's face that she was having much more fun!  

Spoiler

[There's this thing (I've observed) about the ML where when he's on-screen, enjoyment seems to give way to propriety, and there appears to be constant vigilance which sometimes can be mistaken for stiffness. If I had to name someone whose off-screen image and behaviour are hilarious/ totally relaxed, you should check out some of the YT videos where Liu Yu Ning does live streams. He's clearly a natural entertainer who is very comfortable in his own skin. ] 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

I am not quite clear why Han Pu had to go at that juncture. To fulfil a vow he made to repay her for saving his life? To enable viewers to shed some tears? To show how the couple had both doted on him? As an opportunity to showcase a grieving BFX, after the death of her master, brother and father? Just to comply with the novel? Oh well...

I was so devastated about Han Pu. :letalQQ: I knew he was going to die when he said he wanted to become her general and he did 5 years later. The novel was different...I'll put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler

Han Pu did not die in the novel. After BFX received a letter that she needed to return to Qingzhou, she had a trusted follower take Han Pu to Mount Wu to be under the care of her old master. (I assume this person might be Master Taiyin in the drama.) Han Pu did not want to part from her, but she promised him that she would come back for him in 5 years. The book never circled back to their reunion, but it commented that Han Pu founded his own sect later.

Also, there was no Tianshuang Sect so Master Bai did not exist in the novel. Two of BFX's beloved generals died in the war which devastated her so I assume Master Bai and Han Pu took the place of these two in the drama.

BFX's brother died when she was young in the novel so though he still faced tragedy in the drama, I thought it was better that he lived longer and BFX had more time with him.

22 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

it warmed my heart that no matter how royal her blood is, he has and always will love the free-spirited BFX. 

Yes, I agree with you here. This is why I support them giving up their power. HFX and BFX are truly who they are so I am happy they will live happily this way.

11 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

For HFX, ruling the world was a means to an end, world peace. I don't think he was really besotted with the power, or the position, at least as compared with Huang Chao. So, if he can pass the mantle of leadership to someone else (who shares the same ideals of world peace) and spend what's left of his life with the woman he loves, why not? I still don't like the idea of 10 years, but then again as peperomia pointed out, they've led a particularly dangerous life all this while, so knowing when one has to go in a strange way is a blessing, even if it's a rather morbid one.

After nearly losing BFX a few times, I think HFX clearly knew that she was his real world. My understanding is HFX only wanted power to protect himself and to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands. Only when peace was achieved and Huang Chao proved to be a trusted ruler did he turn it over to him. Before he did, I really liked that he asked BFX what she thought first. When she agreed with him, then he handed the scroll to Huang Chao.

Re: the 10 years, don’t mind me…I am the odd one out. I know almost every viewer was upset about it. I believe some viewers were hoping that the drama may finish with the couple ruling the world together versus handing it over to Huang Chao. So, I am guessing the drama put a time stamp on his life to further support the couple’s reasoning for choosing life in peaceful seclusion. They do seem very happy living life in the mountains. Wished we got to see more of it.

10 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Does seem like both their fathers left the fiefdoms to them with expectations they would protect the territories, only for them to cede control of it to the Emperor eventually. Indeed, the world belonged to the next generation.

I get what you mean... When I stop and really think about it, I believe Yongzhou and Qingzhou will be fine united under Huang Chao as he promised them, but as individual states, would their fathers have accepted it? Furthermore, what about the royal family bloodline? At the very least, it would have been nice to see Feng Chang become king of Yongzhou.

• Like 1
On 5/17/2022 at 11:28 PM, IpohBanana said:

I am not quite clear why Han Pu had to go at that juncture. To fulfil a vow he made to repay her for saving his life? To enable viewers to shed some tears?

Seconding this. I can handle death, even if it makes me sad, if it serves a point to the plot. For example, at one point I was convinced the story would have the oldest Prince dying in the struggle for power between his mother and FLX. The prospect of such didn’t make me happy (and I’m very glad he lived), but I was prepared for it and accepted it because I could see how such a death would be utilized within the plot. Han Pu’s death, on the other hand… what point did that serve except for putting viewers’ emotions through a wringer? I hate when dramas do that!  And Han Pu was so lovable.  As the sole survivor of his family, he really should’ve been allowed to live to carry on his family trade; hrmph.

15 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I have this one comment about the last 4 episodes - too many meaningless fighting scenes (felt like someone needed to practice making CGI battle scenes and created one too many), too little about the people and. relationships. The only thing that was nice was the wedding. Meh. 

Also seconding this. My momentum for this drama really ground to a halt in these last episodes because zomg… all the war scenes.  Rather than just getting on with the action and moving the plot along, they decided to dissect all the battle tactics and battle grounds with the viewers. There were so many names of battle places and generals thrown around, information that didn’t really serve a useful purpose, that my attention kept straying and I had a hard time focusing. At a certain point I just wanted them to do something

Unfortunately my dissatisfaction of how the end was rolled out is kind of affecting my thoughts about the drama at the moment, but overall, I’d say I enjoyed it. 

• Like 2

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

4 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Unfortunately my dissatisfaction of how the end was rolled out is kind of affecting my thoughts about the drama at the moment, but overall, I’d say I enjoyed it. 

Ah… this would be me too. I enjoyed it, but I could have enjoyed it more. For all those battle scenes, the final showdown ended quite quickly too, which made me think - if it was so easy to kill YWY in the end, FLX and FXY shoulda just taken on their 江湖 alter egos and gone straight to look for HC during the 5-year season of truce and then gone to wipe YWY out all at once. Indeed, as HC said, too many people died for this unification in order to see “world peace”. A bit of an irony, aye?

In my alternate universe, either the above happened and HFBX reigned as the ultimate royal couple, or they got to the plant that the Old Master said would flower every 10 years and they survived well into their old age as the privileged martial couple that had a free pass to visit the emperor as and when.

So, what’s next to watch? 😂

Edited by gilaswan
  • Clapping Hands 1

@gilaswan @themarchioness which is why I said it felt like watching LOTR (lord of the rings), with their endless rounds of battle. I agree with you about the notion that I could have enjoyed it even more, ditto.

For a drama, I would watch this once but I think I wouldn't rewatch it, unlike Novoland PE which tugged more at my heartstrings, the emotions felt more raw and the angst served some purpose to reel me in and beckon me to empathise with their respective stories. That felt like a story an ahjumma could relate to better while this was clearly was targetted at a younger market segment and their respective fans. [though from what I heard, fanwares are being waged right this very moment as I share my thoughts here, and you probably can guess whose fans are being hurled abuse at, poor thing.] 

There's always this fan-fic universe about what happens after, tis better left to the audience's imagination I suppose. Makes me recall a question Oh Yeon Joo asked her comic-artist father, what happens to the characters in your world after the comic story ends? Do they continue going on living?

What's next? I was waiting for My Wife Is a Thief but that's still some way to go, though iQiyi has it as coming soon. Heroes? Song of the Moon (when it does air)? Cang Lan Jue or Eternal Love (no other title ah)? Immortal Samsara?

@gilaswan 

Spoiler

I think I saw some anti-fans telling her that starring with YY once was good enough, no more, she isn't quite at par with him. Something to that effect. Then again, she tends to be targeted by the over-protective fans of male artistes. This is why there was a rumour that she enjoyed being on the set of A Female Arrives at the Imperial College, because XKC's fans are less antagonistic.

• Shocked 1