Who Rules The World 且试天下 [2022]

NiteWalker

56 minutes ago, IpohBanana said:

[BTW, in the latest exchange, the King's eunuch is still trying to put in a good word for him...hhmmmm]

I noticed this too, but at the same time, I got vibes that the king has his own plan in mind. Also, it seems HFX understands why his father distrusts him at the moment so he needs to jump through hoops to prove his loyalty and eliminate all suspicions. If there is more to what happened in ep 28, I think it will be revealed when the rebellion happens in ep 34.

======

By the way, when BFX said she would take HFX on a tour of the Tianshuang sect and he said he would like to see the place where she grew up, any chance they were really talking about Qingzhou instead? (They do like to talk in circles. LOL.) Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. I would love for her father to meet him.

Edited by peperomia

@peperomia hhmmm you've got a point there, especially where she grew up. yah, they both talk in secret code, keh keh keh.

Ikr, how delightful it would be for both her father and brother to meet him as her beau and to give him their blessings, before they exit the drama, but I think that's likely to be wishing thinking on our part. I suspect this is unlikely to happen, but then again, we can but wish!

(I think your intuition about E34 is spot on, it's the director's way of keeping us on the edge of our seats.)

@movingwheel indeed, not a judgement of good or bad on my part, merely an intuitive observation. As for how he chooses to use it, it's his perogative as an actor, he knows what the industry requires and how to capitalise on his strengths. As you are more familiar with his off-screen behaviour, it appears that he knows how to carry himself well, which is to his credit!  

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 1

@peperomia I think our imagination is far greater than the directors/producers :laugh:

To the mountain they went where the Sect is located, but the tale was not spun based on what we expected, far from that.

Spoiler

Tell me if you think the editing was off in E32, it felt very contrived, like chop-chop, let's get on with it? Blessings to the flower, may you continue to bloom and grow, and supply them with vitality when they need it. heheh.

And to even out the tables on each other, because she waited for him for 3 days, he waited for her for 3 days. Oh, and Han Pu is a really useful kid to have around, LOL.

Random observation I know, (at the black market entrance) The Head of Storm 38 sect is such a comic relief, what a funny guy!

Back to his father, I think our suspicions of a deal he cut with his father is real, going by what happened. He sent off his mentor into retirement and pretended to leave the state. How can that be if they didn't have a deal?

U think she'll (BFX) get to see her father one last time? I hope so for goodness sakes - we deserve to see father-daughter together in Qingzhou. 40 episodes, and not one occasion where they interact:cry:  Of the 5 states I've seen so far, I like this leader and the Jizhou one the best. They are both leaders who care about their people and have good values.

Incidentally, the wedding looks grand! And the father was there to receive the both of them. So if the battle of Youzhou and Qingzhou gets settled by E37, so what's left for E39-40? Getting rid of the Cricket and Locust army?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IpohBanana said:

I think our imagination is far greater than the directors/producers :laugh:

To the mountain they went where the Sect is located, but the tale was not spun based on what we expected, far from that.

LOL. Yeah...I figured it was wishful (over)thinking. :laugh: Here are my thoughts on some of your thoughts of ep 31-32:

Spoiler

I agree that ep 32 seemed off. Not sure if the issue is the scriptwriting or poor decision-making in choosing how/what to fit in the 40 episodes. To be honest, I don’t think Master Bai needed to die and in turn, cause Langhua to gravely injure BFX. I know she is a bit of a brat, but I didn’t think she had it in her heart to injure BFX like that. But then, I was wondering how BFX was going to get hurt so bad when she’s normally vigilant and can see why she was unguarded in this situation.

I agree it’s more evident now that HFX and his father worked out a plan and have a kind of understanding. Based on his father’s reactions throughout the “tests”, it seemed he knew that HFX wouldn’t fail him. Feng Chang seems privy to what’s going on too because he mentioned to Zhong Li that Feng Ju is going to fall into a trap.

I do think BFX will see her father before he dies and HFX will accompany her there. I will be disappointed if the father passes without fulfilling his last wish to see her. Combined with her brother dying as well, it’s going to be so heartbreaking for her.

The wedding looks beautiful, especially ZLS! I am excited for it. HFX’s father looks happy there (which is another positive indicator). After Qingzhou’s battle with Youzhou, there should be a battle between Jizhou as well. Huang Chao wants world power, but based on his promise to his father, he does seem to have the good of the people in mind. I am curious to see how the drama will conclude everything.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

@peperomia hhmm good clue you pointed out there...

Spoiler

The part about Feng Chang - I like that he's in the loop. One of his grievances was that his brother never confided in him and I think this is an indication that FLX has finally brought him into the plan(s). That would certainly help mend their relationship and address the trust issues.

I concur, my heart will break if she doesn't get to see both father and brother one last time. :cry:

I used to read forum posts and the critique that members gave, I was in awe at their ability to point out what was off and what went well. I wasn't quite able to pinpoint what seemed off, well since E29 anyways, but something seemed not quite right. Come to think about it now, is the appropriate term to be used 'pacing'? It's probably been mentioned loads of times, how this drama is a victim of last-minute policy changes, but the front parts seemed to suffer less from it, as compared with the later parts. Would it be right for me to say that it was easier to edit the latter parts than the earlier parts, to comply with the policy? 

So, your guess is E39-40 should be Jizhou vs the Qingzhou-Yongzhou alliance? Hmmm, plus the cricket and locust army, methinks. A part of me is toying with the idea that FLX will put his brother, Feng Chang, on the Yongzhou throne, so he will continue with his HFX role. But then again, it's not an either-or decision he has to make, he can take on both. hhmm, let's see.

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 2

@IpohBanana @peperomia

Spoiler

I whole heartedly 200% agree to the fact that the editing in last two episodes were extremely off. Firstly suddenly FLX deciding to relinquish all right to Fountain adobe. Both Feng Qiwu and Chancellor Ren were off the duty. Then there is death of Shifu, all of a sudden. It was so so sudden. 

And I will not hold responsible the makers , rather the laws. I am not a citizen of the Country and neither will ever be , and besides , I strongly feel that we should be allowed to at least discuss about laws because everone is human and every human makes mistakes. we will always miss out even if we try to address one issue , the other issue will be missed out. You create law , thats fine but give respite to those productions where the shooting is already done. The law should have been implemented with new productions. This is not just about actors - actresses , but also crews who worked day & night to do the justice to the drama.

Regarding whether the father King Yong is in cahoots with whatever FLX is planning , I will probably let it happen in its own course because I feel really dejected with the way story has been rushed and no proper arc for Feng Xiyun Character. Being a woman , I feel deprived. Yet since I love YY most and ZLS too , I will complete the drama. its not like i am not enjoying or I am not liking YY with ponytail , I am loving it but I would have loved even more if these things were considered. 

Anyway , what can I say !!! 

• Like 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

Watching ep 32. I know all this is for the sake of drama, but why Old Master Bai never tell BFX about his suspicions over YWY?? Aiyah. This is another form of noble idiocy. 

Anyway, finally taking the time to read through posts carefully. 

Some thoughts about YY. 

@movingwheel@IpohBanana I realise while watching interview and BTS vids that C-drama stars are quite different from the K-folk. There’s a lot less deference to the cameras and what netizens might say and consequently a lot more pride, some may even say arrogance. The first time I saw YY’s interviews, I did find the interactions a bit jarring. But then I reckon that’s the culture there too. China is a different kind of harsh. If you don’t stand up for yourself, you’ll only get trampled on. Good though that he stands up for those around him. I reckon that’s where he gets respect too. Not just a pretty face, aye?

Now, back to the show… 

Does HFX/FLX know that BFX is FXY? My guess is that he does because he’s smart. If YWY can figure it out - and I don’t reckon he’s as smart as FLX - then why wouldn’t FLX know it by now? If he isn’t giving off that he knows, it’s likely cos he knows how important it is to her that no one else knows. 

From how the story has progressed to this point, I fear BFX will not get to see her father and brother one last time before she has to take the throne. Then FLX will have no choice but to know and he will prolly go the lines of, I knew and will be the support you need. The question I have though, is how his father will respond. He wants to conquer Qingzhou. Is the Moyu Cavalry entirely FLX’s to control? 

From how the previews are, it would seem  the show down will be between Qingzhou + Yongzhou and Youzhou + Jizhou (heck the other 2 bystander states). I’ve not read the novel (and don’t intend to), but it looks like Huang Chao eventually becomes Emperor and takes over control of the Imperial City? And here I was thinking HFBX will be quite the power couple of royalty and the martial arts world, truly ruling the world.  

• Like 3

@gilaswan YY is not just a pretty face. You are absolutely right about how C & K actors are different. In C Ent , Actors will never flirt or make fun or do funny things with their co actors openly on press conference. But in K ent , we have seen how Gong Yoo makes fun of Kim Go Eun or Nam Joo Hyuk makes fun of Kim Tae Ri. Such is not the scenario there. and also C Actors are very very much cautious about their image etc. a tax evasion can end your career but I bet this will not happen in K ent.

YY loves himself , stands up for himself and I don't see anything wrong with it. 

He does take care of comrades, before Love O2O i guess , or maybe after Love O2O , i dont remember exactly, he did one variety show. he had to suffer injuries because they did not have proper safety props in place. he allowed others to be safe others and in the end suffered big blow. Any man or woman , only with pretty face cannot go to the level he has reached. Thats for sure.

Regarding FLX knowing BFX identity , It will be really really really surprising to find out that it comes as a biggest surprise to him that BFX is Xiyun when YWY knows. it will mean that his fountain adobe is for nothing !!

• Haha 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

@movingwheel@peperomia@IpohBanana 

Yah right? Fountain Abode, biggest intel network in Dadong, and he dunno who BFX is? hahaha… but honestly, that’s another drama flaw - how can it be that YWY’s intel on what’s happening around him through that one henchman seems to be better than Fountain Abode’s??

And a question - what are these laws that have affected the production? I don’t follow or read Chinese news. To headache inducing to read Chinese (I do it totally on a needs basis for work only. Hahaha…)

Edited by gilaswan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@gilaswan how can i found out about it??? but it was there and everyone knew about it !! people spoke of it in MDL too ! I am planning to learn mandarin but I will have to shell out 500 USD for it for serious learning hence not exactly in a mood right now.

YWY finding out that HFX is FLX and causing Havoc in Yongzhou right under his nose is something very very difficult for me to accept !!! FLX in book is cunning and that too in a good way at least for me because I as a person not much high on morals. FLX in drama is also cunning but he is a bit less than FLX in book , i am saying this is because he still could not figure out YWY.

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

2 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

What’s MDL? I shall go snoop and find out what it’s about… hahaha… man, I so dislike Chinese websites. 

its Mydramalist... i dont think u will find it there anymore.... u have to scroll down A LOT.... that place is buzzing...!!!! I read it before it broadcasted !!!

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

@gilaswan The ruling to cap dramas to 40 episodes was reported in the media towards the end of April 2020 (In response to Chinese premier Xi Jinping’s directive on increasing the country's cultural footprint and soft power, the National Radio and Television Administration (NRTA) has released a notice that sets hard limits on series lengths and more stringent rules governing production budgets. Source: thedrum.com)

Who Rules the World began filming on February 3, 2021. Though I can't find what was the original episode count, you can imagine the havoc it created, because they would have filmed more than 50% by then? So, the issue of pacing and editing (missing the mark) can be explained, even if somewhat less palatable to audiences.[my bad, I can't seem to count anymore, post-covid, indeed, some months would have passed by then, wouldn't it?]

Thanks for pointing out the differences. Culturally, there may jolly well be some truth to what you are saying. I think there are also other factors and considerations that come into play. I've conducted interviews on people before and the way they choose to answer can be somewhat telling, only if they reflect their authentic self. My two cents' worth - there are two sides to what people portray in interviews (bearing in mind this is publicised in the media): a work mask (if they choose to uphold a certain public image) and the authentic self (when one isn't putting up a mask). For public figures, like artistes, some choose to preserve their image by putting up the work mask, being mindful of their actions and words, but there will inexplicably be moments where they let slip certain things. And for those who are truly comfortable with themselves, the authentic self will appear more than the work mask. Of course, what we see is a combination of personal tendencies, values, past experiences and coaching/ advice by publicists; and the dominant image would depend on which of these drives their behavioural tendencies. And if one has picked up enough clues by watching out for  consistent patterns long enough, then it's possible to detect the work and non-work mask. :smile:

I hope what you say will not come to pass - I am hoping that HFX gets to meet his FIL and BIL! Surely, viewers won't be deprived of that satisfaction? From the trailer, it seems that yes, the Moyu Calvary is at his beck and call. As for does he know, or does he not know, @peperomia has pointed out clues to that possibility and you have concured. I won't beg to differ. If it proves to be otherwise, I will offer a few virtual slaps and throw a few cusses to whoever made the decision to dump-down on his intelligence!

@movingwheel I've already let out a few cusses that neither has figured out who YWY is. :laugh:

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@IpohBananaThat’s why you see, it was most annoying that Master Bai never told anyone his suspicions of YWY and the confirmation that came with the chat about the jade pieces. I mean, he had that opportunity to chat with BFX!! 

With the fame that precedes YWY through his family, how could they not know he is descended from the Yu Imperial line? Huang Chao knows about the family curse right? If he can know, why couldn’t HFX? That’s a story flaw, unless well, it just points to human fallibility - y’just can’t know everything. 

As for the supposed plans with Daddy Dearest, I don’t actually reckon he’s got an agreement going with Fengxi. Dad is shrewd but not smart. I do think he has always been wary of his own son because of his lineage and tie to the imperial family - a boon to his state but a bane to his ownself because FLX will always be a reminder of his own illegitimacy that had to be “corrected” through marriage. His mother was a queen that was not loved by the king. The trap they speak of then is the one LX has set up for FJ. I’m just waiting for FJ to be eliminated so that LX can finally officially be the heir to the feudal throne or whatever you call it. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@gilaswan plot holes and human infallability...sigh, I doubt there's ever been a drama where we as viewers couldn't find a bone of contention or two to pick. Too much and the protagonists are unbelievable, too little and they seem incongruent with their characters!

Though, I agree that Master Bai fell short of our expectations and I was gnashing my teeth during that scene. But then again, if you've watched enough wuxia dramas (well, in my growing up years anyways), they tend to be dense when they need to be, and smart when they need to be. LOL

My logic about YWY, he wasn't deemed a trouble maker, so intel decided not to dig into his background - even if the Fountain Abode had long tentacles, they didn't have access to CCTVs and tap phone or WhatsApp conversations, could they? So, I suppose, they can be excused from oversight. keh keh keh

As for daddy dearest, let's see if the director has been misleading us or as you put it, our judgement is way off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Capping it at 40 episodes works for me. Hahah.

I reckon if there’s an issue with pacing, it would be the first half was a lot slower, so yes, everything since the big reveal

has been a bit rapid.  Like, suddenly he lost his inner strength, then Fountain Abode, then Chancellor had to leave, then BFX got deathly injured, then he remembered the flower power (and that wooden box that somehow she always carried with her, well hidden beneath her soft, flowy garments… 🤔😂 Logic must be suspended at various points)… and in the ancient world void of covid, feeding someone unconscious meds through a kiss would be totally acceptable. Hahaha… Then she’s suddenly well enough to go scouring for info in the black market while Master Bai’s daughter is suddenly a-OK to take on teenage leadership of the Tianshuang Sect… Whirlwhind indeed. All of that happened in… 7 days? 🤣

All said, if law came out in April 2020, and filming started in Feb 2021, I don’t reckon it’s the fault of the law anymore…

Edited by gilaswan
  • Like 3

@gilaswan

indeed - April 2020, Feb 2021 -hhmmm issues with condensing the script? 

Oh yes, mouth feeding is a pretty popular trend. I mean is swallowing a reflexive action? I was watching to see if ZLS had a movement in her throat to indicate she swallowed - thank heavens the director was smart enough to direct and film that. I've seen versions where the unconscious person doesn't swallow!

Not only teenage leadership, what happened to the vengeful daughter who swore to kill the murderer? suddenly that's disappeared? and what happened to the hordes of Wulin Martial artistes who were yelling blue murder and flamed with passion to mete justice? No orcs around this time to blame upon (citing the case of the missing horses in LOTR)

Don't start me on the topic of carrying items beneath their clothings! My parents who were avid viewers of Kam Yung wuxia dramas in the 80's used to say this: money doesn't weigh much - they will nonchalantly fish silver and gold ingots out of their billowing sleeves, their clothes have massive capacity to carry things that never fall out - even though the material doesn't look like canvas, and they will have enough clothes and food to eat eventhough they don't seem to be carrying much upon themselves [BFX told the young Han Pu, we have yet to pack, we are leaving for the Sec tomorrow, yet the day after, they didn't appear to have any form of luggage on them?]

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

So, your guess is E39-40 should be Jizhou vs the Qingzhou-Yongzhou alliance? Hmmm, plus the cricket and locust army, methinks. A part of me is toying with the idea that FLX will put his brother, Feng Chang, on the Yongzhou throne, so he will continue with his HFX role. But then again, it's not an either-or decision he has to make, he can take on both. hhmm, let's see.

After thinking about it some more... YWY is the true villain so you have a point that the final battle is likely between his secret army. At some point, I would think Huang Chao will figure out that YWY has been fooling and using him all along so we will see where Jizhou stands in all of this.

1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

As for the supposed plans with Daddy Dearest, I don’t actually reckon he’s got an agreement going with Fengxi. Dad is shrewd but not smart. I do think he has always been wary of his own son because of his lineage and tie to the imperial family - a boon to his state but a bane to his ownself because FLX will always be a reminder of his own illegitimacy that had to be “corrected” through marriage. His mother was a queen that was not loved by the king. The trap they speak of then is the one LX has set up for FJ. I’m just waiting for FJ to be eliminated so that LX can finally officially be the heir to the feudal throne or whatever you call it. 

I don't know if the word "agreement" is the proper word to define what's going between HFX and his father, but before the punishment was carried out, I do think HFX gave a proposal to his father through a letter and after some thought, his father considered it subject to some tests he'll put HFX through to prove he does not have ulterior motives with the Fountain Abode. When his son's loyalty became clear to him, he released the Tianshuang Sect and from what I understand is meeting with FQW who is HFX's trusted aide. I feel like the king is getting outside intel from her - such as about the rebellion. Last, the king's talk with the queen seemed like he is aware of what they're up to (assuming mother and son are in cahoots). Letting her know that Feng Ju will be his heir felt more like setting up trap to me. But, we'll see...

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 3

@peperomiaEither way, it’s bye bye FJ! I’d like for it to come sooner. Actually, I’m certain Dear Dad knows of his 3 sons, LX is the clear choice, but Dad as others have said, is only interested in wielding power for himself. He just wants to know which choice will not result in internal efforts to oust him sooner. FJ, even if named heir apparent, will not be patient. When he found out LX was also BFX, he was afraid that LX would also want to oust him before his time. He basically trusts no one. What I don’t get is his bizarre loyalty to that wife of his who clearly is only interested in power. 

• Like 2

@gilaswan you know the saying "better to work with the known devil, than the unknown devil?" and besides "he still needs someone to warm his bed and keep the inner harem/court at bay?" Also, perhaps a tiny part of him thinks with something else other than his brains. LOL

I am breathlessly waiting for the time when HC finds out YWY has been pulling fleece over his eyes all these time. And I wonder who/what the big reveal will be @peperomia

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Haha 2

@gilaswan same here, from 27 to 32, I keep ffd the scenes, I feel that they suddenly change. Where is our brilliant lanxi who always comes up with backup plans whenever things go wrong way as his plans. The more I watch it, the frustrated it gets. His stupid king dad, then Langhua suddenly blindly believe that BFX killed her dad are so absurd. I mean, how could she be that stupid. Well, 8 eps left. Lets see how all this end. 

Btw, talking about the hair, @mademoiselle haha, just realized lanxi as HFX, I think they out so much hair spray to his bang, so whatever the wind blows it, it doesn't get messy at all. That's funny. That bang stand still looking fine as it set, wide open to each sides. Well, he is still handsome tho. 

• Like 2

@peperomia you were right, the final battle is waged

Spoiler

against HC but the troops that BFX were fighting against are said to be cruel and all out for blood, which leads me to think that some of them are from the Locust and Cricket army? 

Gee, that scene with BFX's unconscious body soaring through the air and HFX reaching out to catch her in E40 trailer, was so reminiscent of Bai Qian flying up to catch Ye Hua's body. It was uncanny the deja vu feeling. Though it wasn't me being there, but it was me watching that scene all over again.

Wow, the last few episodes are packed with battle scenes, except for her wedding. Feels like really watching LOTR ending again. The odds seems stacked against them. I think both side of their troops were badly decimated and they were left with the remaining army, a combo of his and hers, that had to make a last stand. And they had to be up against cannons (though I am again wondering why they didn't have the intel about what weapons they were up against? or they knew and there was nothing much they could do about it, except for our dear girl taking matters into her own hands and going all out to save the troops.)

Incidentally, at the start of E39 trailer, it was weird though listening to HFX call his wife, Lord Qing, it sounds so distant; even if it was a very serious discussion about battle strategy.

My thoughts of E33-34,

I felt extremely proud of Feng Ju for saying everything that FLX ought to have said and what we as viewers wanted to say to 'daddy dearest'. I couldn't help but clap my hands when he said out loud "look at what he did to the son who cares about him the most/ protects him, he took away his 'loi kong' and sent him out of the state." It doesn't look like we will get to see any flashbacks between daddy dearest and FLX, will we?

I thought the restrain that FLX put on and the shock he tried to hide when his father asked him to sit next to him was quite funny (it looked like he was trying his hardest to act normal around his father when it felt extremely akward and the words he uttered were extremely politically correct, he never for once has let his guard down in front of the father, has he?).

In actuality it was a very sorry state for a man (the king) who tried to (as he put it) hold onto everything but in the end held onto nothing (imagine having such a tragic scene play out in front of one's own eyes, on one's birthday). Though he must have at least done one thing right/ acquired enough merits to have FLX still protect him when he was in dire need of it.

I am cussing right now, because our dear girl still doesn't know what is going on in her homestate. sigh, meddlesome scriptwriters.

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Heart Eyes 1

@IpohBanana I watched ep 33-34. I am glad I read your post before I started typing away. Your view is much more positive than my initial reaction...which is good. LOL. Needless to say, I was disappointed it turned out HFX had submitted to his father in ep 28 without having some kind of trust worked out in the background. I don't know... It feels like the story didn’t give his character proper justice. You have a point that the father must have acquired karma from somewhere to have a filial son like HFX. Despite everything, I do have tremendous respect for HFX for never once abandoning his father. The father better treat HFX and BFX really well from now on.

13 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

It doesn't look like we will get to see any flashbacks between daddy dearest and FLX, will we?

I actually wondered this too, but I won't be hopeful that we'll get any. LOL.

By the way, FQW looked amazing in her fight scenes. I love how they wrote her character in the drama.

13 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

you were right, the final battle is waged

I saw the trailers for ep 39-40. It does seem like the last battle will be a mix between Jizhou and the Locust and Cricket Army. Hmmm... I am curious how Huang Chao and YWY's own desire for world power will work out between them. I agree HFX’s tone toward BFX seemed serious than usual. I assume it’s due to the war situation which looks intense. I know how it ends in the book, but I am looking forward to know how the drama will wrap up everything.

======

Has anyone seen this OST MV that is focused on the couple? There are few cut scenes of them from the remaining episodes. ZLS looks so gorgeous at the wedding. I love how their wedding gowns are similar and matching each other. To be honest, I feel the drama became a bit messy shortly after Mount Wu, but I've enjoyed it because I love the leads and their story.

• Thanks 2