Bridgerton [US Drama] - Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story - 4 May 2023 [Current]

Jane

12 hours ago, Jane said:

Update on my watch status, I finished Ep 6 last night and I have a lot of thoughts. But chief among them is that as a book-reader, I feel like I do not know the characters that I am seeing on screen. @Chocolate do you feel this way too?

I read the books so many years ago... but for me, the spark was not there in the drama, and even the dialogue seems flat. Violet, Anthony and Eloise got on my nerves a bit. Only Hyacinth is adorable 😄 I agree with your comments in the last post though.

To be fair, for adaptations, the book is usually better. So perhaps our expectations are a little too high. Plus, it was probably not the production's intention to be 100% the same as the book. So when there are deviations, it's a bit jarring for those of us who loved the books.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
18 hours ago, Chocolate said:

but for me, the spark was not there in the drama, and even the dialogue seems flat.

Much agree about the dialogue. That snarky, contemporary tone that the books had just wasn't as apparent in the show. It was a pity because I think JQ's dialogue was one defining characteristic of her books when compared to other historical romances.

18 hours ago, Chocolate said:

To be fair, for adaptations, the book is usually better. So perhaps our expectations are a little too high. Plus, it was probably not the production's intention to be 100% the same as the book. So when there are deviations, it's a bit jarring for those of us who loved the books.

I definitely remembered why I stopped watching the Harry Potter movies after the second one. But I believe the difference there was that while HP removed plot lines to service the short running time of the movies. Bridgerton added plots to make up the hours for the 8 episodes, but done in such a way that didn't feel true to the characters or would greatly alter the way the subsequent siblings' stories would be. I suppose I wonder at the need sometimes to fluff up the story in this way when the original plots worked so well.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Hello I finally started and watched the first 3 episodes today (Me being the turtle for Netflix shows if they get dropped all at once as opposed to drip fed to me) :CharmanderYay:

I've never read the books, but I am a big fan of period dramas having done most of the BBC dramas like War and Peace, North and South, Poldark, Victoria etc etc :wow:

I feel like it's an interesting alternate multi-cultural take on regency England was fascinating - definitely not accurate, but interesting because I guess it's a shake up on how you think about the traditional romantic heroes. In some ways by evening the statuses of characters it does take away discussions of race and class inside that world though...but maybe you talk about race when you talk about the actors getting a chance to play characters that would traditionally go to white British actors. But then again, even from the costumes and the violin renditions of modern songs like Billie Eilish's 'Bad Guy' and Adriana Grande's 'Thank You, Next' paints it as more of a fictitious and slightly more outrageous version of old England. :popcorn:

As for the actual story, I think it's been a fun light watch so far. It does really remind me of a period drama Gossip Girl though...some invisible person who knows what everyone is doing - a bit like Big Brother, but controls everyone through scandals! I think there's some very narcissistic characters - Lord Burbrook, Simon's father etc :laugh: I found Anthony to be quite irritating to be honest - I think it would be awful to have your decisions made by someone who says they're doing it with your best intentions, but not respecting you enough to take your feelings into account! I do like Simon's backstory though. It's quite tragic, so I think I understand why he wouldn't want kids - how would you even understand what a family is like if you grew up like that??? He does have good chemistry with Daphne though, so looking forward to how this pans out. My favourite character is Penelope who always seems kind and lovely to those around her...and I love her conversations with Eloise! :heart:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

• 3 weeks later...

OMG...oh yeah....ahahahah...hey I do not object to a second season!:cool:

Extracted  from:

https://www.vogue.com.au/culture/features/everything-to-know-about-bridgerton-season-2/image-gallery/1c5cd219fea9885333fb8ddcb1122de9

Is Bridgerton season 2 based on a book?

Yes! Just as season 1 of Bridgerton was adapted from Quinn’s first novel in her Bridgerton book series, titled The Duke and I, we’re seeing a similar pattern followed for season 2—as Van Dusen told Entertainment Weekly, “the show was always set out to be primarily one book per season.”

What is Bridgerton season 2 about?
As hinted at above by Van Dusen, season 2 will most likely be based on Quinn’s second Bridgerton novel, titled The Viscount Who Loved Me. The second Bridgerton book moves on from Daphne Bridgerton as the story’s primary protagonist, and focuses instead on her eldest brother, Anthony, Viscount Bridgerton. Picking up on the goings on of the ‘ton a season later, the second novel sees Anthony not only deciding to marry, but also setting his sights on the “diamond of the season”, a young woman Edwina Sheffield, for his soon-to-be bride and the woman who will help him sire an heir.

However, given that his reputation at this stage is less than savoury, and Anthony’s indifference toward Edwina, her sister, Kate Sheffield—described by Quinn as “the most meddlesome woman ever to grace a London ballroom”—leaps in with protective intentions and attempts to end her sister’s courtship with the viscount, a man who she believes to be a rake unworthy of her sister and husbandhood in general.

But despite her sheer determination to foil the betrothal, Kate soon finds herself falling for “the most wicked rogue of them all”. Her dogged determination to save her sister from marrying the viscount sees him unable to shake Kate from his mind, with Quinn noting that she is the woman “haunting his increasingly erotic dreams,” not Edwina.

It seems we have a tale as tempestuous as Daphne’s own with the Duke of Hastings awaiting us should season two happen.

Following Lady Whistledown’s most recent release, it seems that a plot focussing primarily on Anthony is becoming more and more likely, the doyenne of deception writing “this author has been reliably informed that Lord Anthony Bridgerton intends to dominate the social season. I will have my pen ready to report on any and all of his romantic activities.”

Who will be in Bridgerton season 2?
Given the greater focus on the viscount in Quinn’s second novel, we can expect to see the return of Jonathan Bailey to reprise his role as Anthony Bridgerton. And while attention has been diverted away from Daphne Bridgerton and her now-husband, Simon Basset, following the conclusion of the first novel—and potentially in season 2—we can’t imagine the Bridgerton universe without the match of the season, meaning that we can anticipate the return of Phoebe Dynevor and Regé-Jean Page to our screens.

Given the closeness of the Bridgerton family, it's most likely we’ll once again encounter Lady Violet Bridgerton (played by Ruth Gemmell) along with her sizeable brood, Benedict (Luke Thompson), Colin (Luke Newton), Eloise (Claudia Jessie), the newly-returned Francesca (Ruby Stokes), and the youngest Bridgertons, Gregory (Will Tilston) and Hyacinth (Florence Hunt).

Of course, following the revelation that Penelope Featherington is Lady Whistledown, we should too expect to see Nicola Coughlan playing the perplexing dual persona. Given that she is charged with presiding over Regency London—currently her side job to pinning down the identity of Whistledown—with her husband, King George III becoming increasingly indisposed, prepare to bow down to Golda Rosheuvel once more when reassumes her seat on the throne.

We will confirm more cast members when news of their connection to the show comes to light!

How many episodes are in Bridgerton season 2?
As season two of Bridgerton hasn't yet begun filming, we won’t know how many episodes it will bring us. But it would be safe to assume that it will also comprise eight episodes as season one did.

When will Bridgerton season 2 be on Netflix?
While season two of Bridgerton has been confirmed by Netflix, we’re not yet sure of its release. However, we do know that production on the series’s second season is scheduled to commence in Spring 2021, meaning that filming should kick off around March 2021 and we may see its release later the very same year.

However, given the unpredictability of the ongoing global pandemic, many cast members, including Phoebe Dynevor, are wary about the difficulties the cast may encounter while filming. “I can’t imagine how it would be possible to film under these circumstances… There are so many extras and so many crew members, and it’s a very intimate show,” Dynevor told Deadline on January 15. The actor also added that, while she hopes season two happens, she insists that Covid restrictions binding the entire television and film industry will see production delayed: “It just baffles how we would film it under COVID rules unless there was a vaccine beforehand.”

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I just saw it too. So sad. So no scenes of Daphne’s married life then ? 

I guess it will just be off-screen. In the books, there weren't any such scenes either but Simon does appear in the Pall Mall game. Daphne had some appearances. I don't remember everything but one is when Colin went to her for advice.

In other casting news:

https://deadline.com/2021/04/bridgerton-charithra-chandran-cast-edwina-rupert-young-jack-season-2-netflix-shondaland-1234726344/ 

"Newcomer Charithra Chandran has landed the role of Edwina in Season 2 of BridgertonNetflix and Shondaland’s hugely popular Regency-era period drama series based on Julia Quinn’s romance novels, I have learned. Rupert Young (Merlin) also has been tapped for a major new role on the series, created by Chris Van Dusen, I hear."

I am not sure I like the sound of a major new role because this will further alter canon. :ChikoritaAngryBean: But maybe I need to get over that.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Loved the first season!  I bought the book right away... Um mm, I will just stick with watching the series. No offense to the author. just didn't click for me. I think am too loyal to other historical fiction authors. 

Look forward to season 2

PS it's a shame won't see that gorgeous brown backside in season 2.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

On 6/9/2021 at 10:14 AM, Mizv said:

Loved the first season!  I bought the book right away... Um mm, I will just stick with watching the series. No offense to the author. just didn't click for me. I think am too loyal to other historical fiction authors. 

You might want to join our Book Lounge, lots of discussion on books there :)

Edited by Jane
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 2:32 PM, Jane said:

I am not sure I like the sound of a major new role because this will further alter canon.

Same here.

On 6/9/2021 at 10:14 AM, Mizv said:

Haha, for some of us who first read the books, the drama was a bit disappointing. I like Julia Quinn but yes, there are others - who else do you read? I’m always on the lookout for brilliant historical romance authors I’ve not discovered yet 😍

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Haha, for some of us who first read the books, the drama was a bit disappointing. I like Julia Quinn but yes, there are others - who else do you read? I’m always on the lookout for brilliant historical romance authors I’ve not discovered yet 😍

I don't read that much romance any more, but I used to read Judith McNaught, Kathleen Woodiwiss, and Julie Garwood who all wrote historical romances. And, of course, Jane Austen.

Who do you read?

• Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Glad to see people are still excited about this show. I'm not a huge fan of some of the stories, Benedict and Francesca in particular, so I'll probably skip those seasons. I'm super excited for season 4 though as the 4th book is the best in my opinion.

Penelope is my absolute favorite character in the series. I don't remember who said it earlier but I'm disappointed that they took away some of what her character's essence is. She's not the type to confront people so the whole blowout with Marina over Colin was weird to me. It's also weird that they already outed Penelope as Whistledown because that's such a huge part of her story, and part of what makes me love the 4th book so much was the journey I took to figuring out Whistledown's identity too. 

SLIGHT BOOK SPOILER BELOW

As for the whole thing where Colin/Marina almost get married, I think the show was trying to give him a reason to leave the continent for a while since in the books he leaves for like 10 years, or something like that, between Simon/Daphne's story and his own. Without the show watchers having context for him to stay away that long, and the depicted obvious closeness of the Bridgerton family, it seems like they were trying to give him a reason to be out of the picture for that long. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

MDL                  Currently Watching: Hidden Love, Fireworks of My Heart, Erkenci Kus, King the Land

spacer.png

On 7/2/2021 at 5:00 AM, Chocolate said:

Julie Garwood is my favorite however I’ve read ALL her books and she hasn’t written a historical one for a long time. I’m a fan of Pride and Prejudice theme.I’m a sucker to  read anything that is  Mr. Darcy character.  The best remake book I’ve read is By Linda Berdoll…. Whew! have a open mind.  I don’t normally read Danielle Steele but The Duchess Is pretty good.   While searching to satisfy my urge for historical fiction I discovered contemporary British theme.  So am hooked on Louise Bay series Books. the Royals and others British hot babes.  if there is any books recommend please do tell.  

• Insightful 2