The Worst of Evil 최악의 악 [2023]

On 9/29/2023 at 11:51 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

nitially I thought the wife wasn't really necessary but as the episode progressed it occurred to me that she's there not so much as to set up some obligatory love triangle but to act as his lifeline. I suspect that she's included so that he doesn't get completely consumed by the undercover persona. She will be, I'm guessing, his conscience. A reminder to him why he's there in order that he doesn't completely lose his way. I also think that her purpose in the narrative is to flesh out Jung Gi-cheul as the mob boss -- to give him that extra layer, to humanize him so that he isn't some kind of cartoon villain. But the lovely thing always about Wi Ha-jun is that he always projects a certain vulnerability no matter how badass he is.

100% with you on this. Especially after what I have seen in episode 3, I feel like she will "save" both in a sense.

We can see that Jun Mo will have to cross many lines to keep his cover. Killing that man at the end of episode 3 is only just the beginning. At what point will he have to draw the line? It is easy for one's moral code to start deviating after a while. Maybe that is why I love these undercover shows. Besides that, it also gives me the same rush that I get from rom-coms - when the intended love birds are trying to feel each other out. :laugh: The same way JM worked to gain KC's trust, and KC "opening up" to him, making him the bodyguard. 

I did think that it was clever when he set up those thugs so that he could "protect" KiCheol" and become closer to the latter. JM and his superior Seok Do Hyung are pretty thorough but unfortunately let down by the flashlight. That said , KC and his men are equally as sharp, so I can see why it won't be an easy road for JunMo. KC will test him time and again. KC didn't become who he is by brute force alone - he's resourceful and farsighted. Quite impressive that he has the backing of a big Japanese mob boss. 

I feel like my heart might break very much for KiCheol. I know he'll have to pay for his crimes seeing how he's destroying lives with the meth his selling. It is most definitely the Wi Ha Jun effect. It also doesn't help that that they did a short but effective backstory of EuiJeong and KiCheol's childhood. That makes my heart ache a little. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I have a question - how does Junmo decide to go undercover without discussing with his wife first?It’s not like you can say you are on course for a week and then come back as if nothing happened. And for goodness sake, don’t meet in public 🙄 There are so many ways this job could burst - I was on tenterhooks when Gicheul visited the mother in the hospital - she could just pull out a photo of her daughter and husband!

That said, the drama is definitely gritty and there are some parts my concentration wavers a bit (maybe 3 episodes in one go is too much lol) but watchable on the overall.

And although both JCW and WHJ are doing a good job with the characters, I can’t help but feel that the roles should have been reversed.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
5 hours ago, Chocolate said:

how does Junmo decide to go undercover without discussing with his wife first?

He probably thinks she wouldn't allow it given how dangerous...which was true since she was really angry when she confronted his superiors about it. I agree that they shouldn't have met in public ...that was so nerve wrecking especially when it was discovered that KC is also friends with the wife . I am glad that this was set in the 90s...no smart phones and stuff. In today's day and age, it won't be difficult to quickly find out who her husband is. :psweatduck:

5 hours ago, Chocolate said:

And although both JCW and WHJ are doing a good job with the characters, I can’t help but feel that the roles should have been reversed.

Ooo ...didn't think of it but may not be a bad idea. I have never seen JCW play the antagonist though, I wonder if he could pull it off. Wi Ha Joon on the hand has less shows on his belt but has played some interesting diverse characters. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Ooo this is gonna get interesting...his superiors ask EuiJeong to help out with the investigations. So she asked KiCheol to meet for drinks. KC tells JunMo to keep it a secret from the rest  that he met her "noona" . JM  yelling inside that it is his wife. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1

On 10/1/2023 at 11:45 AM, Chocolate said:

The thought did cross my mind fleetingly. Hypothetically. But I'm curious as to why you think this. It kind of reminds me of when Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch alternated their roles as Frankenstein and the Creature. I think both would do well in either role but bring a different feel respectively. In the case of Wi Ha-joon he has played a serial killer before so he's no stranger to going over to the dark side. With Ji Chang-wook, perhaps he's the more established actor and the expectation is that he plays the protagonist.

I suspect the show is trying to avoid portraying Gi-cheul as an outright villain. I think the intention is to show that under different circumstances he would have made different choices. He could have even ended up being with Inspector Yu if things had turned out differently. He was a good kid that attended church at one point. It's a pity that he's living the life of a gangster though because he's quite intelligent and far more meticulous than the cops. I have a tough time deciding who to root for in this show at times partly due to my affection for Wi Ha-joon and how his character is written. Things aren't easy for him either. He has to fend off all kinds of opposition even among so-called allies. Rivals of all kinds seem to forget that the fact that he is making so much money is not just mere luck or having the right backer.

I'm finally all caught up. So far it's not bad and I'm enjoying the cat and mouse game. I'm actually curious as to which way the show will go. It's not as obvious as one might think especially because Gi-cheul and Inspector Yu have got a history. The cops are rather new to this undercover gig. Especially Jun-mo. It feels like they're learning as they go whereas Gi-cheul is an old hand where deception and schemes are concerned. Although he's quite good on his feet, I don't think Jun-mo realises what kind of toll the job will take on him as well as what potential temptations will do to him.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

22 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The thought did cross my mind fleetingly. Hypothetically. But I'm curious as to why you think this. It kind of reminds me of when Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch alternated their roles as Frankenstein and the Creature. I think both would do well in either role but bring a different feel respectively. In the case of Wi Ha-joon he has played a serial killer before so he's no stranger to going over to the dark side. With Ji Chang-wook, perhaps he's the more established actor and the expectation is that he plays the protagonist.

It's not anything deep - just that the big boss is usually older than the undercover, and Ji Chang Wook looks older than Wi Ha Joon 😂 But you're right. Either way would work for this drama. I too think that it's difficult to root for just one of the two.

Surprised that there is no CCTV in Gicheul's room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
21 hours ago, Chocolate said:

It's not anything deep - just that the big boss is usually older than the undercover, and Ji Chang Wook looks older than Wi Ha Joon.

😂😂😂

On 10/1/2023 at 6:26 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I have never seen JCW play the antagonist though, I wonder if he could pull it off.

True, he hasn't played many antagonist roles. He was an antagonist in Hard Hit (film). He's also played Emperor Hui Zhong/Ta Hwan, which I find this character is neither the villain nor the hero. I didn't watch Five Fingers, but I think he was the antagonist against Ju Ji Hoon in there.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

@Chocolate @40somethingahjumma 

I am so conflicted. I  am at eps 4. Seeing the level of personal cost this is to Jun Mo makes me wish he had not taken this on. I was at the edge of my seat when his cover was almost blown at his MIL’s funeral. And then I was in tears when he couldn’t properly pay respects to her - JCW was fab in these scenes. Where I’m conflicted now is that EuiJeong is going to be very much involved in this entire operation- I know it was to help JM regain Ki Cheol’s trust but her reconnecting with KC set off this terrifying chain reaction as he’s definitely going to pursue her again ( JM’s expressions when she told KC she was divorced was so good.) She’s using his affections for her . Yes , KC should not have my sympathies but the feelings he had & has for her are real. I don’t know why I’m feeling bad for a drug lord 😅😅

By the way it’s not just the MLs here that are very good , Im Semi is doing a great job too.

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama @peperomia@Tofu @UnniSara this drama is worth checking out . 

• Clapping Hands 5
  • Party! 1

@abs-oluteM 

I'm not that conflicted because I find the interplay between the two male leads fascinating to watch. :smug: That whole incident where Jun-mo has his near death experience points to several striking aspects to Jung Gi-cheul's character. It seems to me that Gi-cheul really does want to trust people but it's the price he pays in the business that he's in that he has to be perpetually cautious. I don't think he particularly enjoys violence in the way Chief Seo does. Violence for him is just a means to an end. He tends to let other people get their hands dirty. I was surprised at how he was willing to let the "traitor" off the hook after Jun-mo gave him a few whacks and said it was enough for him. Gi-cheul seemed satisfied to go along with that. This confirms to me that under very different circumstances, Gi-cheul and Jun-mo could have been friends. He certainly feels drawn to him. Whether or not it has to do with Eui-jeong being the glue that binds them, that's still up for grabs. I tend to think that Jun-mo's innocence and eagerness to succeed in life probably reminds him of what he once was.

It's also clearly laid out from that incident that Eui-jeong's priority is Jun-mo. The so-called love triangle is really a honey trap. I know that around the web it's the fashion to talk about adultery but as far as she's concerned, she's doing her job as a cop and a wife to protect a colleague and her husband. She comes from a family of cops and she already knows what Gi-cheul has become. While she might feel sorry for him, she's already married to someone else. Someone she married despite opposition from members of her family. Gi-cheul can make a bid for her affections all he wants but she knows the truth.

My feeling about Gi-cheul is that he's ultimately looking for respect especially as someone who grew up in the area. That's what the "get-rich-quick" scheme is about. From what we saw in Episode 1 he hates being trampled underfoot by other people especially those living off the wealth of their family. He's a smart man that (I think) resents his family background.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@40somethingahjumma after watching eps 5 , I realise that my conflicted  feelings is due to the relationship that  is growing between the MLs. While Jun Mo is doing a darn good job at securing Ki Cheol’s trust , we know it’s to trap the latter . And that’s a good thing where the assignment is concerned. But for KC , that trust is real & genuine. And I’m gonna be feeling bad for him when he finds out the truth, even though I think he is responsible for the choices he makes & must pay for his crimes. I love it though that the drama & WHJ can make me feel this way; that’s fab writing . Also , WHJ does have this way of putting depth & sensitivity to his character. 

It was also pretty clear to me how much JM & EJ love each other in eps 5. I was dreading his reaction when he would find out that she’s now taken a more active role in the operations. The personal cost to him has gone a notch higher. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to control his emotions while risking his own life , So far JM has not lost his moral compass, and has been able to quickly get out of tricky situations. 

And talking about honey trap , I saw a spoiler that the Korean Chinese girl he met at the airport has interest in him 

I feel that the top cops may betray Jun Mo or leave him to die . That’s almost happened when he got shot . They may be  on the right side of the law but somehow they can be more self serving than the gang members. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I feel that the top cops may betray Jun Mo or leave him to die . That’s almost happened when he got shot . They may be  on the right side of the law but somehow they can be more self serving than the gang members. 

I could be overthinking things but I'm expecting some kind of police corruption angle because Gi-cheul keeps boasting that he has someone in the police. I don't think he just means the guy that was feeding him information about Jun-mo.

But I'm sure much of your fear comes from years of watching K dramas. :P The police brass are highly unreliable in most instances. They tend to go where the wind blows politically. It is possible that they have their own agenda. But I'm kind of certain that Jun-mo's handler Captain Seok (Gil-chae's future husband) will continue to support him to the end. I hope they don't spend too much time on that side of things because I'm here for the relationship among the leads and perhaps some redemption for Gi-cheul.

The script for this show is pretty solid so far and potentially quite sophisticated in how it presents the main antagonist. It is interesting to me that Gi-cheul is far from being the the worst of evil in this show. There are people above him who have few scruples. He has his own honour code which he generally abides by. He does value loyalty and friendship. I want Jun-mo to be somewhat conflicted about him because that would certainly make for much more compelling storytelling.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

I just finished episode 3. I was thinking the undercover cops these days would have a much harder time doing undercover since CCTVs are everywhere and phone tapping is a norm. Jun Mo got away with many things because it is set in the 90s.

I'm not enjoying the gore during the fights. And often I find myself annoyed why they have to fight with their fists when there are weapons.

That torchlight give away, OMG, how dumb can the police be?

When I learnt of the premise of this story, I did wonder if it'll be something like HK's famous film, Infernal Affairs.

• Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 1
14 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Jun Mo got away with many things because it is set in the 90s.

Absolutely.  In this day & age, Ki Cheol would certainly know who EuiJeong’s husband is.  I love this era though there were plenty of hardships with the 97-98 economic crisis.,I am reminded of the crazy times growing up . 🤣🤣

If this show turns out like Infernal Affairs, Ki Cheul should be a spy too?  I welcome that idea 😁

• Haha 3

Yay so glad you guys are watching or planning to watch @Tofu @UnniSara @Dhakra. I am in love with this show :D

In today's episodes: 
Ohhh things are gonna be super complicated with all 4 of them meeting :D

F8GEcsvWIAA2wAY?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 3
  • Party! 1

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Waaaa, even @Dhakra is here! Long time no see. I'm still watching this in snail pace 🐌, but did we lose Miss Chocolat @Chocolate?

Haha I'm watching and up to date.

On 10/5/2023 at 8:17 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I am so conflicted. I  am at eps 4. Seeing the level of personal cost this is to Jun Mo makes me wish he had not taken this on. I was at the edge of my seat when his cover was almost blown at his MIL’s funeral. And then I was in tears when he couldn’t properly pay respects to her - JCW was fab in these scenes. Where I’m conflicted now is that EuiJeong is going to be very much involved in this entire operation- I know it was to help JM regain Ki Cheol’s trust but her reconnecting with KC set off this terrifying chain reaction as he’s definitely going to pursue her again ( JM’s expressions when she told KC she was divorced was so good.) She’s using his affections for her . Yes , KC should not have my sympathies but the feelings he had & has for her are real. I don’t know why I’m feeling bad for a drug lord 😅😅

By the way it’s not just the MLs here that are very good , Im Semi is doing a great job too.

Yes, I cried too! That scene where Jun Mo was hiding behind the wall and peeping into the memorial hall when his wife was greeting Gi Cheul, then she saw him and her lips quivered. How hard that must have been for 2 people who love each other and the support they needed then from each other.

On 10/7/2023 at 3:54 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

The script for this show is pretty solid so far and potentially quite sophisticated in how it presents the main antagonist. It is interesting to me that Gi-cheul is far from being the the worst of evil in this show. There are people above him who have few scruples. He has his own honour code which he generally abides by. He does value loyalty and friendship. I want Jun-mo to be somewhat conflicted about him because that would certainly make for much more compelling storytelling.

I like that this is not such a typical gangster/brotherhood drama. Usually the police undercover would become so close to the gang, that he would be conflicted about arresting the gang. But here, with the wife thrown in as a love interest for Gi Cheul, I think there is no chance of that - Jun Mo almost hates Gi Cheul, he just wants to quickly solve the case and get back with to his wife. But Gi Cheul, I feel sad for what's going to be coming for him.

• Clapping Hands 2

Binge watch begins :pandapopcorn:

YA @abs-oluteM! What did you put me through! :pandasadspoon: I liked the first two episodes, but couldn't you warn me about episode 3+4? :pandaroar:

When Eui-Jeong said she actually gets a divorce right in front of Junmo and met with Gi-Cheul a couple of times, I began to hate the drama so much and skipped through most of the episode. After the episode ended I googled for recaps of the remaining episodes and just searched for the word "kiss". Just to make sure this isn't some sort of love triangle, jealousy stuff. 

Seriously, they are meant to be a married couple, but we actually got so few scenes with them being together. They actually don't really feel like a married couple, which put me on the edge all the time. 
I swear if she ever kisses that punk and cheats on Junho, I drop this drama on the spot. The same goes the other way around, if Junmo kisses that chinese beauty, I will be mad.

Buuuuuut, GOSH IS THAT CHINESE GIRL CUUUUUTE. She could sell me any kind of drugs anytime. I want to be her tour guide too. I show her every corner of the world. :pandablush: Bibi is doing such a tremendous job, 

Overall the drama is quite decent, a few plotholes here and there, like usual, but time really flew when I watched it. Some scenes were a bit unnecessary and explicit, but well, can't help it. 

I agree that Gi Cheal isn't the worst antagonist in the drama, but he is still just scum. He has blood on this hands aswell, he may not kill as much as the usual thug, but he is nobody I want to be in the same room with for just a second. He lies, deceives and is violent as most other thugs aswell. He sells drugs and based on what we saw in the clubs, he uses women aswell. I have absolutely ZERO tolerance for him. I want to see him go down like all the others.

That's why I am praying that the writers doesn't mess this up and give him a kiss with EJ for any dramatic purposes to safe Junho's life or something. 

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Dhakra hehehe , where is the fun if I warn you ? 🤣🤣
Actually I don’t think there will be a kiss between Gi Cheol & EuiJeong . It’s just that she’s using his affections for her to distract him and to protect her husband. Wait till you see the honey trap that Jun Mo is laying down for the Korean- Chinese girl . You should be more worried Jun Mo will “fall” 😝😝. These two have this hot  tension between them . The actress is good. 

I will comment more about last night’s episodes later. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2