8 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@gilaswan I've seen comments in other places that this is a "horror" show. It really isn't. There's certainly a lot of eerie music and people walking around in bad makeup. The odd jump scare here and there. It's more like The Sixth Sense -- a supernatural thriller police procedural grounded in history. The plotting and attention to detail is so far pretty good. Aspects of it remind me of the US show Grimm although this has much less of a fantastical feel.

20 hours ago, liddi said:

Where more than a year ago, my weekends were spent climbing mountains (and chasing spies), this time, I am investigating vengeful ghosts (in broad daylight) with my mum :laugh:

@gilaswan Liddi's method may help - watch in the day 😂

8 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I don't remember the last time I've seen Oh Jung-se play a conventional male lead. He's known mostly as a character actor. I like him very much here though -- he's unexpectedly hot.

Hahahaha! I have thoughts of that too every time I see him walk around his very fabulous minimalist house in the black turtleneck 🤣

• Haha 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Soundtracks released to date...

Part 1: ALi - Demon

Part 2: Dasutt - Empty Night

• Like 1
  • Star Struck 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

This is my favourite show now! So sad it's ending next week.

It's very sad about detective Seo, especially given his long relationship with Haesang. What I don't understand is why can't they say something more useful the minute they know they are being controlled by the spirit like "Help!" 😅 since he managed to squeeze out "Prof Yeom is right".

Spoiler

img.gif

Ep9 was quite amazing. The previous episodes gave some hints that the spirit was not Lee Mokdan. It was too easy for one, and people kept dying when something new was about to be discovered. But the way it was gradually revealed was very exciting.

Kim Taeri is doing wonders with the dual role.

img.gif

"You opened the door" gave me goosebumps 😍

Spoiler

Oh Jung Se, I feel, is underutilised. No one can complain about his acting, but his role in unravelling this mystery seems to be rather limited. Instead, detective Lee has stepped up in this episode.

F1lFcuhWIAAvp7g?format=jpg&name=large

And for those who need romance, the ghost likes detective Lee 😂

Spoiler

So who is the evil spirit and what is the story?

Spoiler

What a scene!

img.gif

All Gifs from https://silvertrhee.tistory.com/1274

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

This is also my current favourite. It's hard to pin down to one thing but yeah, I'm a book type of person and I love a bit of history. This show scratches that itch. Sometimes I think I should have waited and binge watch the heck out of this when it's done and dusted but I was hooked practically from Episode 1. One of the reasons why this show is good is the fact that it is a 12 episode drama so it is less likely to go off on unnecessary tangents.

Although I didn't want Detective Seo to meet an untimely end, I can see why he had to. The show has to have stakes and Hong-sae needs to be more of a proactive member of this de facto investigative team. Until now he has been on the outer working from entirely unhelpful assumptions. Now that he's "awake", he can properly observe what's going on and make more accurate assessments.

Surprisingly I also like Oh Jung-se in this. I never expected him to be such a good brooding male lead. He doesn't say much but when he does, it feels meaningful. I became emotional when he finally broke down at Detective Seo's apartment because the two of them had a bit of a history that began when he was a boy. He was like a surrogate uncle to him. Kim Tae-ri is good especially when she's switching between the two personas. I wasn't a fan of her character in Mr Sunshine and didn't get very far with that show as a result. But here, San-young is relatable. She's caught up in something she didn't ask to be a part of. She's groping around looking for answers while trying to protect the people around her. On top of that, she's going blind. It's a highly stressful situation to say the least.

I'm of the view that Mother knows something about what happened in 1958 or 59. Perhaps the involvement of a family member. 

• Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Really enjoying the drama too - just wish I had the time to sit down and properly ruminate over it but real life has been demanding so much of my time these days, making it pretty much impossible to focus as much as I would like to. Ep9 was such a treat to watch - a masterclass in strong performances throughout. My heart shattered particularly when Hongsae begged Haesang at the wake to tell Detective Seo that he was desperately sorry if he saw him - Hongsae breaking down as Haesang watched him in mute devastation, his own grief mirrored by the young man's repeated self-recriminations. Tears. And Kim Taeri - the myriad of emotions and nuances captured from one moment to the next - even as she portrays the spirit's mercurial moods interspaced with Sanyeong's mounting desperation, reaffirms Kim Eunhee's repeated praises for her leading lady. 

We have been getting hints even before this that the spirit might not be Mokdan - but I don't understand yet why Sanyeong was able to follow Mokdan's path to tragedy in her visions, which led her to the Yeom residence. We saw Haesang's grandfather being possessed upon the killing of the child under the blue cloak as the villagers celebrated their ill-begotten gains outside. Does that mean there were two juvenile spirits, Mokdan being the first which then possessed Haesang's grandfather, while the 2nd is the one that currently torments Sanyeong? From the yearbook, the current spirit was still alive in 1959, so it could not have been Choi Manwol who summoned her since the shaman died in 1958, killed by the one that possessed Haesang's grandfather. Who then summoned the 2nd spirit? All roads probably lead back to Haesang's terrifying grandmother. Did she have another juvenile spirit created for her own personal lust for power and wealth? And what is the secret behind the camera that keeps showing up - first in the Yeom study, then in Prof. Gu's residence? Why is the picture of the Hungry Ghost realm significant?

Can't believe we have only 3 more episodes left. Please remain strong to the end.

Edited by liddi
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

Will post my thoughts later... but first, another soundtrack dropped over the weekend:

Part 3: Lee Bada - Door

Edited by liddi
  • Like 1
  • Star Struck 1

I started this for Oh Jung Se! Overall, I think the premise of the story is decent. It is the characters and their connections to one another that keep me invested one episode after the next. For example, I could easily understand the reasons that drive Hae Sang and San Young to pursue to evil spirit – which both are tied to the loss of a parent – his mother and her father. With SY, I find her journey in getting to know who her father was interesting. Even when her mother opposed, she proclaimed that she must as she is half of him too. I like how each revelation of who he was brings her closer to him, even after his death. With HS, you can really feel his loneliness so when he lost his only companions - Detective Seo and Woo Jin, one could also easily feel his pain and heartbreak. Thankfully, SY and HS form a connection as well. The part where he wanted to give up on his life due to guilt, but she would not let him, was a moving point in the story. In experiencing the darkness herself, she was able to understand and sympathize with him. So, for me, the “horror” stuff is not what stands out in the story, it is the human nature aspect of it.

Regarding the evil spirit, I am curious to know what her motive is. Is it simply revenge or insatiable greed like Hae Sang’s grandmother? A part of me hopes it is more than that. That maybe her actions thus far have been driving SY and HS to uncover the truth behind her death and most importantly – her identity. However, the others’ deaths are supposedly caused by her so not sure how likely this is. Nevertheless, the final reveal this week should be riveting...I am excited for this yet sad that it is ending.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 7/22/2023 at 7:06 PM, Chocolate said:

What do you think? Is this Sanyeong or the ghost? Is Lee Hyangi the real name?

I read an interesting theory on MDL that the evil spirit could be the grandmother's younger sister. This is based on her tone when she referred to SY as Hyangi. She addressed her as if they are close like family. Also, it follows the belief that the second-born is sacrificed to protect the first born. If we assume her given name is Hyangi, it's possible her family name may not be Lee (like Mokdan), but something else.

I think it was SY and the grandmother was aware she is pretending to be the ghost. That is my guess.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Will be caught up to watch the finale together with you all since I am now at ep.9... because I obviously can't stop once the drama started, haha... I like the scare element of opening the door. That is something new. It even made me wary of answering the door now, lol... Made me wonder, how about just leave all the doors open? Like in Det.Seo case...

On 7/22/2023 at 6:52 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I became emotional when he finally broke down at Detective Seo's apartment because the two of them had a bit of a history that began when he was a boy. He was like a surrogate uncle to him.

I became teary in this scene too... Been wondering how they got close with each other, and the reveal at this moment was placed just right to bring out the emotions. I like that with this death, he found a new place to live in since he probably couldn't go back to his big mansion after knowing how the wealth of his family came to be. That was insane btw, killing a child so as to gain riches.

On 7/22/2023 at 6:52 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Kim Tae-ri is good especially when she's switching between the two personas. I wasn't a fan of her character in Mr Sunshine and didn't get very far with that show as a result.

First time watching her was in 2521, and been a fan because of that. She is a really good actress. I didn't watch Mr Sunshine. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

It seems the ghost is urging the duo to find all 5 objects, but she is preventing them from figuring out her identity. Most of her kills are people who have information about her (the school art teacher, librarian, Detective Seo). San Young said she notices she is losing herself as she touches each object they uncover. They have found 4 out of 5. So, I am thinking it’s possible if all 5 objects are uncovered (with the last one being the jade hair pin), but not the ghost’s real name, she might be able to completely take over San Young. This may be her end goal/motive. Her ushering them to find the 5 objects might be a trap. It is only if they uncover the 5 objects and her real name would they succeed in banishing her. I find it odd she is only stopping the latter. Anyway, just a thought while we brace for the finale…

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

First time watching her was in 2521, and been a fan because of that. She is a really good actress. I didn't watch Mr Sunshine. 

I've seen her in Mr. Sunshine and 2521. I thought she did great in both, but I think her performance here is the best so far.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

I think the necklace grandma is wearing will play a part later? Could that be the last piece of item they need to find? She's been wearing that since Day-1. Gosh, she really is an awful human being. 

On 7/25/2023 at 4:40 PM, Chocolate said:

This was quite a scary scene 😂

I jumped a little too... :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I think the necklace grandma is wearing will play a part later? Could that be the last piece of item they need to find? She's been wearing that since Day-1. Gosh, she really is an awful human being. 

Yes! Looks like the evil grandmother is wearing the jade hairpin (last item) as the pendant of her necklace.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Transferring @mademoiselle's query here:

On 7/26/2023 at 4:07 PM, mademoiselle said:

Was it ever explained why Gu Gang Mo ended up with the evil spirit? Did he really ask to be transferred to him?

I'm not too clear on this too. I think he was not doing well at one point in life and wanted the spirit to help him. Can anyone confirm/clarify?

I'm also a bit confused. Did the spirit go from YHS's father to GGM?

Who will she be?

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
54 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I think he was not doing well at one point in life and wanted the spirit to help him. Can anyone confirm/clarify?

I think it was due to his eye disease that he needed the spirit. As for the transfer of the spirit, I believe it was when the driver of the family handed over the camera to him. 

My question is more on how evil grandma is still hoping for benefits from the spirit when it is not within the family anymore, but with an outsider. 

• Insightful 3

MTDzeiV.gif

How does Gu Sang Mo know taking on the spirit will heal his eyes?

I think Grandma strikes a new deal with spirit - remember at the end of the episode, they both agreed - "you stay alive keep me alive". So I believe keeping spirit continually possessed by someone keeps grandma alive = extending her life. She wanted riches and now she covets immortality.

• Insightful 3
12 hours ago, peperomia said:
17 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Yes! Looks like the evil grandmother is wearing the jade hairpin (last item) as the pendant of her necklace.

So uh...I need to retract my thought on this. It's not the jade hairpin on her necklace. In a better shot of the photo, the pendant is just some metallic strands. LOL. Sorry, guys. I do believe the last item is supposed to be a jade hairpin, but @ktcjdrama could be right that the necklace may play a part later.

spacer.png

11 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Who will she be?

Could she be the ghost's mom? Based on the still on the bottom right of the Twitter post, it looks like San Young is the ghost in that moment and seems friendly/docile to her. I don't vibes of the "evil spirit" persona, but more of who she probably was as a human before she died. Just a guess...

4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

How does Gu Sang Mo know taking on the spirit will heal his eyes?

The ghost supposedly knows each host's weakness so I believe she may have told him that she could preserve his eyesight (just like she told San Young she could preserve her eyesight which San Young felt the difference with and without her attached). The trade-off seems to work in keeping the host from fighting-off the possession. 

Edited by peperomia
  • Insightful 4

I've been meaning to go back to find the shot of the 5 items found by the detectives on the shaman's altar back in 1958 (episode 7, ~17:00 mark).

1. glass bottle with red powder in it

2. broken pottery piece

3. hair ribbon piece

4. jade hairpin (not found yet)

5. black cord/rope 

Whether the jade hairpin is indeed the 5th and last item, we shall see. There could be another twist. LOL.

spacer.png

• Insightful 2

It is probably useless effort which would be all cleared up in the last 2 episodes anyway, but after finally unravelling the timeline in my head and peering at the household register that Detective Seo lost his life for, I can make out the following:

The name of the original victim was not even Lee Mokdan 李木端, as everyone, including Prof Gu and Haesang's mother thought. Her real name was Lee Gangdeok 李强德, the youngest of 3 siblings, born 29 Dec 1949. 

I can't make out the name clearly as it looked very similar to Lee Gangdeok, but from what I believe, the secondborn and the spirit that has been tormenting so many appears to be Lee Gangyi 李强億, born 3 May 1943, which means that she was 15 when she died.

To avoid confusion, I will still refer to the first child as Mokdan. Mokdan was killed somewhere between 7-24 Jun 1958. From my research, there was a full moon on 29 Jun 1958, which should be the date that Gangyi was killed after being starved for 7 days - thus putting her in the household before Mokdan's body was returned. Based on memory flashbacks from the glass bottle, she went to the Yeom residence with her belongings wrapped with a cloth and the glass bottle with red powder in hand. My guess is the shaman realised that Mokdan wasn't the 2nd child after all when the ritual failed, and the family were told to send the real secondborn to the household so that the ritual could be completed and the possession could take place.

As for the 1959 yearbook which contained Gangyi's dark drawing of the moon (and very likely her name and photo as well), my only explanation is that it included photos from previous years, seeing she was already dead by then. Was she a part of the art club in middle school, hence the display of her drawing in the photo? Was the red powder in the glass bottle part of her art tools which she happily brought to the Yeom residence that fateful night, hoping to gain approval and acceptance by showcasing her work? Is that why we keep seeing similar drawings upon drawings once her hold on the possessed becomes stronger? 

The jade hairpin is the last of the 5 items, which she is deliberately manipulating Haesang and Sanyeong to retrieve. Is it really for self-preservation that she has set everything in motion? Or does she perhaps too want to finally be free? Assuming all 5 items were in first, Haesang's mother then Prof. Gu's hands, and these were all buried where her previous victims died, could it be somewhere in the middle school where Shin Seungju committed suicide after all? While I still do not see the significance of the Hungry Ghost realm apart from pointing it in the direction of Kim Ujin, I can well believe if it was revealed that the evil old woman is herself possessed by a hungry ghost, with her insatiable greed the root of all the terrible things that had unfolded over the years. I cannot imagine that the juvenile spirit would not go after Haesang's grandmother in the end, the woman whose lust for money was the reason she died so terribly and spent the last 60+ years as a vengeful spirit. I just hope that our trio and Sangyeong's mother will make it out alive at the end of it all. KEH-nim, please be kind.

Edited by liddi
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1