On 1/9/2024 at 8:11 AM, Tofu said:

Now that this drama is over, @Chocolate can binge it if she hasn't already. LOL!

Haha thanks for the recommendation. I've watched 3 episodes and it is interesting! Like Christmas Scrooge - I think Seo In Guk will eventually resume his old life (probably didn't die in the first place). But he is going to have to "die" 12 x 2 because the death angel has to shoot him too lol! Ouch!

• Like 3
On 1/5/2024 at 5:58 PM, mademoiselle said:

The beggar and the white collar worker's story line was a bit lacklustre, and too short-lived. I am also a bit confused about this part. Did Yi Jae commit suicide again with this body? At a later stage of his supposedly-punishment-slash-life-lesson from-Death? Or he felt so devastated of this man's emotion, and he ran towards the street, which Tae Woo accidentally hit him, and it triggered Tae Woo to become a monster?

The homeless man and white collar man was not in the manhwa so I was a little surprised by it. I don't think they were needed, but I understand why the drama put them in. I don't think Yi Jae committed suicide again. Death said something about that life being cruel, so maybe it was to teach him a lesson that his lack of moral understanding/valuing his life is what started it. 

I think Yi Jae committed suicide as the white collar guy. He had already gotten his revenge against Tae-U but had not learnt his lesson yet. He just wanted to get the remaining lives over with quickly. So he ran out to die. Of course, this decision only reinforced his thoughtlessness, as he was when he first jumped off the building.

On 1/5/2024 at 5:58 PM, mademoiselle said:

Death said Yi Jae won after he lived to the end of his Omma's life. Is it because Omma was supposed to die on Mount Oh Bong?

He won because he was able to live his Omma's entire life to the end. In the manhwa, he was given 13 lives, so at the end he gets another shot to change his life around. He ends up not jumping and taking his Omma's phone call.

I think the purpose of the 12 chances was to let him discover that suicide hurt others. After the white collar guy, he said he would just kill himself quickly again and there's nothing Death can do about it. She taunted him and said let's see how easy you can do that. He didn't get it until he became his mum. Then he understood her despair at his death, and how her life was even tougher than his, but she lived on for him. So on one hand, he probably couldn't bear to kill his own mum, and on the other, perhaps it was penance for the suffering he brought her. He lived as his mum for 30 years, and surely it was not a comfortable life (but that last place she was at sure had very good scenary haha). That is a very long time. In this way, he won because that was Death's goal all along. For him to understand that his suicide was selfish. So he got another chance at his own life again instead of going to hell.

On 1/6/2024 at 4:40 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Between this and Gyeoseong Creature which is a better binge? I wanted to watch GC solely for WHJ but he has so little screen time. :psweatduck:

Death Game is a better quality drama. But GC was quite entertaining too. I watched both and enjoyed them. In fact, I'm looking forward to GC season 2!

Edited by Chocolate
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
1 minute ago, Chocolate said:

Some of those DG lives is meant to just torment him lol. What could he do to survive as a baby! Haha.

Hahahahaha! Yes! IKR. That was hilarious. It's because he's so smug about it towards Death. The second ones was hilarious, too (played by Sung Hoon). @Tofu and I were laughing at that. It's not supposed to be funny, the death, but I laughed. 😅😂

P.S. Did you notice any good Oppa's acting you'd check out for their dramas?

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahahahaha! Yes! IKR. That was hilarious. It's because he's so smug about it towards Death. The second ones was hilarious, too (played by Sung Hoon). @Tofu and I were laughing at that. It's not supposed to be funny, the death, but I laughed. 😅😂

The one played by Sung Hoon is an idiot. At that height and speed, even if he landed on the net, he would have gone straight through it. There is zero chance of survival haha.

2 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

P.S. Did you notice any good Oppa's acting you'd check out for their dramas?

Hahaha, noooooooo... I barely have time to watch TV these days. It's a new year so please, no new oppas to distract!

• Haha 3

Hello! Late to the game, but I've finished the first part! How could I not when Lee Jae Wook was in this??? :heart: Really loved his role too. Funny seeing an Alechmy of Souls reunion here though oddly spread out! Also loved seeing the rest of the biig names including Lee Do Hyun...the story was surprisingly smoothly acted given how many people were playing the same character. 

Is the second part out yet? :thinking:

• Like 4

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

9 hours ago, JenL said:

Hello! Late to the game, but I've finished the first part! How could I not when Lee Jae Wook was in this??? :heart: Really loved his role too. Funny seeing an Alechmy of Souls reunion here though oddly spread out! Also loved seeing the rest of the biig names including Lee Do Hyun...the story was surprisingly smoothly acted given how many people were playing the same character. 

Is the second part out yet? :thinking:

Yes, already out, and you can still catch glimpse of Jae Wook!

• Like 3

Upon finishing the show I came away wondering when was the last time I saw a K drama with plotting this brilliant. Shadow Detective S1 was pretty good but this one was on another level. This show actually feels like it's made by talented people who know exactly what good storytelling looks like even while using popular K drama tropes. The cast is the cherry on top. I didn't know who was going to be in it apart from the leads so it was a pleasant surprise to see a few of my favourites in it as well. Everyone was good in this and well cast. But the star of the show is definitely the script which reminds me so much of It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol. For me it's a really clever... darker (certainly more violent) reimagining of the two famous classic stories. The combination of various crime elements is absolutely top-tier stuff. 

I don't want to give away too much but I absolutely loved the ongoing debates between Death and Yee-jae all throughout their interactions especially the anthropological ones. 

It's nice to be able to praise a show unreservedly and not sound like a curmudgeon about the current state of K dramas like a broken record.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Watched 3 episodes. Like it so far . Particularly interesting to see how he will outwit Death. Definitely a lot of social commentary going on here what with suicide & bullying being such big issues in SK. 

They chose some very good actors for each scenario that he has to go through. Of course I was most excited to see Jang Seung Jo as a gangster. Lee Jae Wook In prisoner clothes was also very charismatic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Watched 3 episodes. Like it so far . Particularly interesting to see how he will outwit Death. Definitely a lot of social commentary going on here what with suicide & bullying being such big issues in SK. 

They chose some very good actors for each scenario that he has to go through. Of course I was most excited to see Jang Seung Jo as a gangster. Lee Jae Wook In prisoner clothes was also very charismatic. 

I was very impressed with Jang Seung Jo's action scenes. Jae Wook's performance was even better in E4.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

I was very impressed with Jang Seung Jo's action scenes. Jae Wook's performance was even better in E4.

Yes, both were very good. I can understand @JenL's love for Lee Jae Wook. Haha.  Actually @stroppyse I believe this is is a show you will appreciate. 

-----------------------------------

Episode 4 made me cry buckets. I think Yee Jae finally gets it that his suicide wasn't the end of it all. Seeing the pain it brought to JiSu and his mum was way more difficult than experiencing those failures that he had. Prior to his suicide, he was overwhelmed with bitterness and he allowed his own inferiority complex to blind him. Yes, he had it tough but he forgot about his mother and Jisu who had stood by him. I was filled with regret for him , and really hope he gets a second chance in life. Even though I am only midway @40somethingahjumma is right, the plotting here is excellent. 

They chose Lee Do Hyun for these scenes and he was the perfect fit. He had great chemistry with GYJ too, and hopefully when our he returns after the army they can do an angsty melo together :smile:

On 1/11/2024 at 1:38 PM, Chocolate said:

Some of those DG lives is meant to just torment him lol. What could he do to survive as a baby! Haha.

I had a good laugh here when she sent him as a baby. She had to teach him a lesson :P

On 1/12/2024 at 8:54 AM, Tofu said:

The two evil guys were on Seo In Guk's YT show recently to talk about the drama. As I mentioned to @mademoiselle I cannot believe Kim Jihoon is the hyung! I would have thought it was Kim Jae Wook. 

Hhahah ...Kim JH does look younger. Coming to think of it I have never seen him in short hair...usually has it somewhat longer. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I was very impressed with Jang Seung Jo's action scenes. 

I want to see a spin-off of him playing that fixer character in his own story. I would pay good money to watch it.

5 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Even though I am only midway @40somethingahjumma is right, the plotting here is excellent. 

Wait till you see Episodes 6 and 7.

5 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

...Kim JH does look younger. Coming to think of it I have never seen him in short hair...usually has it somewhat longer. 

Kim Ji-hoon has been around for a while but he seems to have difficulties getting half decent roles. I've even seen him in a sci-fi sageuk which few people have heard of now. Years ago he was in a popular makjang Jang Bo-ri is Here! and I only survived all 53 episodes because of him. He had short hair then. Quite a versatile actor really. Glad to see him these high profile shows even if he's playing psychopaths.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

49 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Kim Ji-hoon has been around for a while but he seems to have difficulties getting half decent roles. I've even seen him in a sci-fi sageuk which few people have heard of now. Years ago he was in a popular makjang Jang Bo-ri is Here! and I only survived all 53 episodes because of him. He had short hair then. Quite a versatile actor really. Glad to see him these high profile shows even if he's playing psychopaths.

Have you seen Flower of Evil? Kim Ji Hoon was really good in there.

50 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Wait till you see Episodes 6 and 7.

Is this the Kim Jae Wook's episode? I think the two Jae Wook's portion really stood out.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Years ago he was in a popular makjang Jang Bo-ri is Here! and I only survived all 53 episodes because of him. He had short hair then. Quite a versatile actor really. Glad to see him these high profile shows even if he's playing psychopaths.

I feel the same! When I think of Kim Ji Hoon, I think of Jang Bo-ri is Here and I can't believe the contrast in characters he's played since. Kim Ji Hoon and Kim Jae Wook has played two very memorable evil characters in K-Dramaland, at least for me. Kim Ji Hoon was really good in Flower of Evil as Baek Hee Sung and really, who could forget Kim Jae Wook as Mo Tae Gu! 

@abs-oluteM Jae Wook and Jae Wook-ie (what Kim Jae Wook calls Lee Jae Wook) really stood out in this drama. I hope their upcoming drama together (Hong Rang) will capitalize on how good they are. Although, the story line is not to my liking, hahaha!

BTS of the two baddies in this drama. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Have you seen Flower of Evil? Kim Ji Hoon was really good in there.

Oh yes, definitely. Lee Joon-gi and all that. It was a pleasant surprise to see Kim Ji-hoon play the comatose psychopathic son after years of wondering where he got to.

9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Is this the Kim Jae Wook's episode? I think the two Jae Wook's portion really stood out.

Kim Jae-wook and Oh Jung-se. It's the culmination of everything.

As a whole they did a really good job with all the different "lives" and it all comes together rather beautifully. What I liked about Lee Do-hyun's segment was Yee-jae's realisation that his life wasn't as bad as he thought and that there were people barracking for him and he didn't appreciate that aspect of his life.

For me, the show is in part a critique of the "South Korean dream" -- the materialistic rat race of wanting to make it only to find out at the end, the system is rigged against you by the elites. It's not just SK of course but the fact that you can have a good job at Taekang for decades and lose it down the track. It puts a lot of pressure on young people to "get that dream job" ASAP and when they don't, they think they're failures.

Here in Australia, people change careers at least 2 or 3 times in their lifetime. I just heard recently of a man who is leaving IT to go into medicine. 

3 hours ago, Tofu said:

I feel the same! When I think of Kim Ji Hoon, I think of Jang Bo-ri is Here and I can't believe the contrast in characters he's played since. Kim Ji Hoon and Kim Jae Wook has played two very memorable evil characters in K-Dramaland, at least for me. Kim Ji Hoon was really good in Flower of Evil as Baek Hee Sung and really, who could forget Kim Jae Wook as Mo Tae Gu! 

I actually quite liked Kim Jae-wook in Her Private Life. (The only PMY drama apart from Healer that I've finished) He's also really good as a romantic lead. So is Kim Ji-hoon actually. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

What an excellent drama this was. I loved how Yee Jae was able to give Park Tae U the ultimate punishment through both Kim Jae Wook & Oh Jung Se. But still, we knew that this wasn't the point of him going through the 12 deaths. It took him to be in omma's shoes to finally fully understand why his suicide did not end his pain since it brought this grief that will never go away for his mother. With regards to the ending:

Spoiler

I was almost expecting him to die at the end.  I supposed being a fantasy drama and to end it on an uplifting note, he got a second shot at life. But then would things change for the rest of the people? Hmmm maybe they need to give us a S2 for that?  Nevertheless the message is loud & clear about how precious life is and that one should never take being alive for granted. 

GD4Rr5jaIAAoLm6?format=jpg&name=medium

There was no doubt  that they chose a solid ensemble cast and I loved all the actors we saw. However, I think SeoInGuk and his omma Kim Mi Kyung really brought it home for me in the final episode. Who knew I'd be so touched by this fantasy show. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3