My Demon 마이데몬 [2023-2024]

@mademoiselle So it’s been revealed in the ep11 shorts - Lee Sangyi is in evil dad’s pocket. But it does look like except for clueless sister, everyone knows how evil he can be. Son’s second phone was a copy of dad’s burner phone. That’s why he’d been seeing the texts and going to the locker as well. So has he died in the suicide attack of Do Hee?

Looks like in each of them choosing the other, Gu Won wins his challenge against the lady god - she’s clearly not an omnipotent or omniscient god. Now the question that remains is how much of his humanity does Gu Won retain, and can a human really live with a demon. If you ask me, Madam Ju’s son is the real devil.

So the next episode won’t air this weekend?

• Like 4

@gilaswan Noh Do Kyung would appear to be dead, since we haven't been shown he got out of the car. I don't get villains like these (including the Haraboji in Park's Marriage). I get the part where they want wealth when they are still young and healthy, but once they hit super old age where they have to pass down that wealth to their children, they are still greedy for more. How long do they think they are going to live?

I'm not sure about Seok Hoon (Sang Yi). It seems like he was acting against Noh Seok Min while CEO Ju is alive, but now he wants to be on Seok Min's camp.

I think I kind of understand what this God is playing in the grand scheme of things. I rewatch/re-read the conversation she had with Gu Won, and I think in some philosophical (deep) way it makes sense. She may be God and created the Universe/world and all things living, but she cannot control how each living things make their own choice. She did mention how each decision weave into different possibilities, which she can't be in control of. Sounds irresponsible, but I find it an apt description of our own destiny or fate (per my interpretation of life). I suppose a different religion may have a different take in this.

3 hours ago, gilaswan said:

So the next episode won’t air this weekend?

Yeah :cry:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
19 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I think I kind of understand what this God is playing in the grand scheme of things. I rewatch/re-read the conversation she had with Gu Won, and I think in some philosophical (deep) way it makes sense. She may be God and created the Universe/world and all things living, but she cannot control how each living things make their own choice. She did mention how each decision weave into different possibilities, which she can't be in control of. Sounds irresponsible, but I find it an apt description of our own destiny or fate (per my interpretation of life). I suppose a different religion may have a different take in this.

Yeah, like, I know why the god would have that sort of thinking or is presented in that manner. But I would've assumed this story would have been based on Christian theology since Madam Ju's being a devout Catholic seemed (in my opinion anyway) to be a key characteristic in this story. So to me, it would have been more integrous to the plot if the same logic is kept. She did say that while she gave the powers to Gu Won, she cannot take it away - this to me again did not make sense you see, not unless she is not a god based on Christian theology and therefore not omnipotent. I would rather that while she might say that she had given him the powers, but she will not change the circumstances for him because there are consequences to decisions made, then it would be that because they both were selfless for each other, then even as a Demon, he has redeemed himself. (Again, if in keeping with Christian theology, I would imagine that if fallen angels [demons] could exercise freewill to go against God, then it would be logical to me that they can again exercise that same will to redeem themselves.)

What remains a little annoying to me story-wise, is that it still seems unclear why the powers transferred to Do Hee in the first place. And it wasn't even a full transfer. What was it about that accident that led to that "mess up"? 

That's the thing about Korean fantasy stories, especially when it is based on logic not of their own culture (eg Korean shamanism or folklore). They don't do it very well and there are always bits of illogic that creep in, or they cannot sustain their own universe and it falls apart. That's always disappointing because they generally start well but end badly or unsatisfactorily at best. But I do so love fantasy as a genre... even then, logic must prevail in every universe you set up. 

• Like 4

@gilaswan It might be a mixture of Greek mythology and Christian theology. In episode one, it referred "Demon/Daemon" derived from Greek mythology as guardian angel. In Greek, demon is often seen as good (though it did mention there's good and bad demon in Greek) whereas in Christian theology, demon is only evil. So I think Gu Won embodies the Greek's version of Demon and perhaps later became what humans believed him to be, evil. If the writer only writes Gu Won in reference to Greek's  version, he shouldn't have a cross on his wrist, which is a mark of Christianity. Confusing, much? :idk:

Korean fantasy dramas always lack logic. They can't even apply logic in the world building of their own myth/folklores, I've very little confidence in them not screwing up western myths. 

Behind the Scenes

Lots of cute moments between the two leads. They were even trying to imitate the famous air-walk/run. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@gilaswan It might be a mixture of Greek mythology and Christian theology. In episode one, it referred "Demon/Daemon" derived from Greek mythology as guardian angel. In Greek, demon is often seen as good (though it did mention there's good and bad demon in Greek) whereas in Christian theology, demon is only evil. So I think Gu Won embodies the Greek's version of Demon and perhaps later became what humans believed him to be, evil. If the writer only writes Gu Won in reference to Greek's  version, he shouldn't have a cross on his wrist, which is a mark of Christianity. Confusing, much? :idk:

Korean fantasy dramas always lack logic. They can't even apply logic in the world building of their own myth/folklores, I've very little confidence in them not screwing up western myths. 

Confusing much indeed. Hahaha... They really lack logic, but I reckon it's cos it's not well researched or not well understood, or could well be both! But they do do a bit better within their own myth/folklore. At least so far, I think DWY and Cupid seems to be logical so far. Park's though... hmmm...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
56 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Confusing much indeed. Hahaha... They really lack logic, but I reckon it's cos it's not well researched or not well understood, or could well be both! But they do do a bit better within their own myth/folklore. At least so far, I think DWY and Cupid seems to be logical so far. Park's though... hmmm...

:laugh:True, the time-slip and logic of how all things happen is not well-explained for Park's in the drama. Not sure if it is better in the webtoon. I'm waiting to see how going back fixes everything (and what) in the future. Plus, why is there no Yeon Woo in the future??

• Like 3

Catching up...I like eps 9 and now 10 since the stakes are higher where GuWon lives only if DDH dies. I feel this drama took a long time to come to this point... this is the problem I have with 16- episode dramas. My focus these days are bad. Also this genre is not my favourite (fantasy romance). With this and even with Park's Marriage , I would not have watched them if not for the cast. 

• Like 4

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

On 12/27/2023 at 4:38 PM, mademoiselle said:

I'm not sure about Seok Hoon (Sang Yi). It seems like he was acting against Noh Seok Min while CEO Ju is alive, but now he wants to be on Seok Min's camp.

I am hoping that there's a twist here. Perhaps he is trying to bring Noh Seok Min down from within.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:54 AM, gilaswan said:

What remains a little annoying to me story-wise, is that it still seems unclear why the powers transferred to Do Hee in the first place. And it wasn't even a full transfer. What was it about that accident that led to that "mess up"? 

I am confused - the powers were able to transfer to her and now back to Gu Won without any cost. Didn't the beggar lady / god say that one has to die for the other to live ? So what was the thing that helped them overcome this condition? The power of love???? LOL! 

Feels like Madam Ju may have caused the death of DDH's parents. 

• Like 4

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

3 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I am confused - the powers were able to transfer to her and now back to Gu Won without any cost. Didn't the beggar lady / god say that one has to die for the other to live ? So what was the thing that helped them overcome this condition? The power of love???? LOL! 

Maybe some form of selfless act? Remember when they both fell into the sea, she at first wanted to swim upwards leaving him, but she went back to him. Similarly, he went into the fire for her and didn't leave her behind.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Finally binged watched while on holiday break.  Song Kang is just toooooooooo good looking.  Enjoying the eye candy. 

I think the only Happy ever after they both can have is both are Demons. Or human.   
Started to wonder if time will catch up with his 91 yr old self as Human? Or he will fade into thin air 

Edited by Mizv
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Posted (edited)

Episode 11

Gu Won is such a shit. :eeeee: It's hilarious when Gu Won takes Do Hee to see God and shows off he won.

img.gif

This past life tragic love trope is so overused, I kind of wish I hadn't seen that many past life dramas before this, so that I could enjoy their tragic love story a little bit more (excluding Destined With You). The execution is so obvious and purposely mislead, and we know Yi Sun wouldn't have killed Wol Sim.

God has given some hints in this episode, too, so it isn't just all lovey-dovey. Yi Sun had experienced pain so great that he, as a human then, erased this painful memory as a means of self-protection. The Knetizens have basically unravelled the mystery based on the next episode preview and timeline of Christianity introduction. As we all have learnt, it's often fruitless for two people with different social status to fall in love during Joseon period. Yi Sun's family will most definitely get in the way of their love. As Christianity was not accepted in Joseon, as the country practice Buddhism, gifting Wol Sim a cross necklace might have put her in great danger. In the preview, Wol Sim was being executed. An executioner was there. Gu Won must have killed the Executioner and blindly massacring the rest of the watchers there.

It was nice seeing Seok Hoon and Gu Won bonding. And, Song Kang smelling his own foot, LOLLLLL! Tell me that is an ad-lib. I can't say I like the weight of Seok Hoon in this drama, I mean, for Lee Sang Yi. It felt so unsatisfying, knowing he could contribute a lot more if he had been the villain as well. Though, I am still holding on to a benefit of a doubt because he did say openly he's good at pretense.

Noh Do Kyung is still alive. Fine, OK.

I didn't like the way the love line was executed for Secretary Shin and Park Bok Gyu. I know it was done for comedic effects, but I actually don't find it funny, though I notice others do (on X).

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Episode 12

The full backstory between Yi Sun and Wol Sim is out in this episode. As expected, Wol Sim was the sacrificial lamb for the rising of Christianity, orchestrated by Yi Sun's own father. Yi Sun lost his mind and started slaughtering everyone on sight and took his own life. OK, taking his own life's part came as a surprise. Their dream of the "new world" was understandable, but was still considered naive at the time. The world did change, but it took many lives and a long time. Hmm, as I typed this, I started thinking God should take some responsibility for the lives lost during this process! 😠

"If that's where you are in heaven, then I am not going" — is this Yi Sun to God, or to Wol Sim? I was confused when this narration came out. However, based on his conversation with God later, I assumed it was directed at God because he thinks worshipping God was what caused him to lose Wol Sim. Appreciate if someone who read this can confirm, please?

We don't have a scene when he became a Demon. It's mentioned in passing God chose him because of his hatred towards humans. I'm curious if we'll get a scene for how he became a Demon. Was his memory erased to better serve the purpose of a Demon, or he erased it on his own?

The plot twist at the end was 😱, and that smile from Gu Won, was very well done by Song Kang. Not that I didn't entertain the idea Gu Won could have been involved. I think the speculation online was CEO Ju making a contract with Gu Won, not her parents. I dismissed CEO Ju's because Gu Won should recognise his own client, but he didn't bat an eyelid at her death. It makes more sense he forgets her if they have only met once 20+ years ago.

The Show keeps hinting what happened before will repeat because it is fate. I don't see how history will repeat itself when the world has changed so much. The only conflict they now faced is whether Gu Won signed a contract with Do Hee's parents, since he was there burning the contract at the accident site. Do Hee mentioned she was 11 years old when her parents passed away, that means 10 years ago when she was 1 year old (newborn by lunar year calculation). Were she and her mother meant to die at childbirth? Was the contract made to save her life? Was that scene of the sick child a mirror of Do Hee and her parents?

• Like 3
On 1/6/2024 at 8:51 AM, mademoiselle said:

This past life tragic love trope is so overused,

I was about to say the same... It's like one after another in the dramas I am currently watching.

On 1/7/2024 at 9:20 AM, mademoiselle said:

"If that's where you are in heaven, then I am not going" — is this Yi Sun to God, or to Wol Sim? I was confused when this narration came out.

In Netflix translation, it is "If heaven is where God dwells, I refuse to go there"

On 1/7/2024 at 9:20 AM, mademoiselle said:

The plot twist at the end was 😱, and that smile from Gu Won, was very well done by Song Kang.

That smile.... :nervous: what does it mean?... but yes, very well done by Song Kang.

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

10 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

In Netflix translation, it is "If heaven is where God dwells, I refuse to go there"

Thanks! Silly me, it's on NF, so it's easy for me to switch between to check. I think Chinese version did a more literal translation closer to Korean because in Korean, Yi Sun refers God as "tang-shin", so it'd be correct that C-sub uses "you".

11 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

That smile.... :nervous: what does it mean?... but yes, very well done by Song Kang.

IKR! I don't know why Knetizens are still bashing his acting. He's improved so much over the last few years! I'm still trying to decipher the smile, but I'm thinking along the lines of "devilish-cheeky-oops-you-saw-me-but-what-you-gonna-do" smile...? What do you guys think? @abs-oluteM @ktcjdrama @gilaswan

• Like 3
On 1/7/2024 at 10:20 AM, mademoiselle said:

The plot twist at the end was 😱, and that smile from Gu Won, was very well done by Song Kang. Not that I didn't entertain the idea Gu Won could have been involved. I think the speculation online was CEO Ju making a contract with Gu Won, not her parents. I dismissed CEO Ju's because Gu Won should recognise his own client, but he didn't bat an eyelid at her death. It makes more sense he forgets her if they have only met once 20+ years ago.

Madam Ju indirectly caused her parents' death, correct ? Or at least that's what was said in the preview . But with that smile and the burning of the scroll before that, does it mean that Gu Won had a contract with her parents (or perhaps her father) and their time was up? Or was the smile about him negotiating a contract with Madam Ju and perhaps to save DoDoHee? 

SK's acting is not too bad. I won't say he's the best actor out there but I think with the right roles and the right director, he's actually quite a decent actor. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Madam Ju indirectly caused her parents' death, correct ? Or at least that's what was said in the preview . But with that smile and the burning of the scroll before that, does it mean that Gu Won had a contract with her parents (or perhaps her father) and their time was up? Or was the smile about him negotiating a contract with Madam Ju and perhaps to save DoDoHee? 

Based on editing, it suggests Gu Won has a contract with her parents.

7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

SK's acting is not too bad. I won't say he's the best actor out there but I think with the right roles and the right director, he's actually quite a decent actor. 

He's improved. His emotional scenes are better in Demon than his previous projects. It also plays to his strength, as he's a good crier.

I was re-watching some late episodes of Weather last night, boy, that was bad. It almost felt like Weather is filmed first before Navillera, because he was better in Navillera. Also, he's a lot chubbier, it felt weird. Haha!

• Haha 3