Bells or Buzzers - 2023 Drama Reflections

stroppyse

Hello everyone

Topic 1:  Sweet Home Season 2,

Lost You Forever -  I started watching this drama, which brought me so much joy, happiness, and sadness. But then I ruined it for myself by checking out the novel’s ending. 

The Uncanny Counter  Season 1 - I enjoyed watching Season 1 and will be watching Season 2 soon. 

The Glory Part 2 , Moving 

Topic 2: 

Perfect Marriage Revenge,  Justice In The Dark.   

Family: The Unbreakable Bond (2023)  I recommend this drama and the storyline was very touching

Miss Mystery,  The Glory Part 2,  Moving

Topic 3   The Uncanny Counter   Under The Skin, Love Like Galaxy 

Topic 4    

Topic 5 

Topic 6 

Topic 7 

Topic 8 - Longest Promise

Topic 9

Topic 10

Topic 11 -  Best Villain- Park Yeon-Jin, Jeon Jae-Jun in The Glory. These two characters never changed and stayed true to their character from the beginning until the end. The actors portrayed them as broken souls who can never be redeemed or healed. Too much baggage came with them which was ingrained in their bones.  

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

On 12/12/2023 at 8:21 AM, Tofu said:

@JenL I agreed that Destined With You was a bit patchy. I enjoyed it at first, got bored in the middle, and it picked up again towards the end. If a couple gets together too early, I start losing interest especially if there's no storyline to keep me invested. This is how I felt with DWY, but I persevered for @mademoiselle:LarvitarSDab1:

Hahahahahahaha!!! I'll pick only one from each country of dramas I watched. 

Hahaha I had the same feelings - I was unsure at first, but then really enjoyed it, but then lost interest again (or felt cringe for certain scenes). I also persevered for @mademoiselle (But really, it was proba bly for Rowoon :laugh:) Speaking of which I was recently surprised when I found out someone at work watches Korean dramas (they're quite hipster and so I didn't expect them to be interested)...but they love it. And they love Rowoon too - they thought he was very handsome and also really enjoyed She Would Never Know...haha your man is converting people into drama watching, Mademoiselle!

On 12/13/2023 at 7:36 PM, mademoiselle said:

I'm with @SilverMoonTea on this one, another vote to King The Land. Same reasons as previously mentioned. I watched more episodes than Tea did, and each time, I kept brainwashing myself that it will get better. It did not. Male lead character was all talk, no action, or the actions happened behind the scenes. I think I dropped it after they went to promote Thailand, but "watch it" through other Havenites' updates. I honestly want to interview the actors and ask them if they thought this is a good script (don't tell me it has high ratings so it does not matter). That does not justify a "good" project.

@SilverMoonTea @mademoiselle I'm very glad I never watched this one! I thought I had missed out when it was being hyped but reading Tea's words I'm really glad I didn't get started on that because it sounds like something I would have hated. :SquirtlePuke:

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

I think I missed a question :psweatduck: But I'm too lazy to go back and look for which one!

Here are all the ones I haven't done: 

Q8) A drama you wish you hadn't watched

So this might not come as a surprise if you know me and my taste, although it might also come and a surprise if you watched this drama without watching the original. I didn't enjoy a A Time Called You and I guess it's expected because I loved the original so much. I guess the disappointment and lack of chemistry was too much for me? I wouldn't say it killed me to watch it - it's probably good to know from a critiquing perspective. But I didn't really enjoy it per se :idk:

Q9) A Doomed Romance You Were Shipping Anyway

SO. This year I had very few second lead ships which is surpising. But my answer is a bit weird - my couple was a main couple that did technically end up together BUT because of the dumb ending, it still became a doomed romance that I was shipping hard!!! So it's Sun Woo Hyeol and Joo In Hae of Heartbeat. I'll put the spoilers in a spoiler tag as to why they're doomed

Spoiler

They never found a solution for the main lead  (a vampire, who had to drink the blood of female lead, his love interest, in order to live.) Because one must live and the other die, the male lead sacrifices himself and allows the second lead (a really irritating and selfish character who needs to drink vampire blood in order to survive) drihk his blood and 'look after' the female lead.

Worst ending ever! :letalQQ:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Q 10 ) What is a trope that should be banned?

Noble idiocy - At least the level of noble idiocy that was exhibitied in Heartbeat where the undeserving second lead won out :pandarage2:

Past Live - I feel like it's been overdone ever since Goblin and this year's worst offender for me was Destined with You. If only they'd woven the past lives story into the main story that actually made sense! :pandarage2:

And not exactly a trope, but it might as well be:

Removing good character storylines because an actor has been in a scandal - I feel like some dramas this year were really affected by this. For example, Kim Sae Ron pretty much disppeared at the end of Bloodhounds without any explaination and it really bothered me because they could have just included a scene or 2 to tie up the storyline. But it seemed like they didn't want to even try to make her character look redeemable in any way to punish her. I also thought that they had to introduce a new 'romance' for Do Ha Na in the Uncanny Counter 2 because they had vaguely hinted at flirting or possible romance for So Mun and Ha Na in the first series which they no longer wanted due to Jo Byeong Kyu's scanndal recovery. And I mean, maybe I'm just reading into it because the Uncanny Counter does have a source webtune and maybe it does follow the storyline, but it felt like they wanted to sqush any possibly of a romance in s2 by giving her that boring romance which didn't make much sense. :idk:

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 3

Q 11) Who was the best villain?

Although I thought he was super toxic, like @stroppyse and @Tofu and @mademoiselle, I felt sorry for Ryu Shi-Oh (Byeon Woo-Seok) in Strong Woman Nam Soon. I didn't really ship him with Nam Soon because he was so toxic. But I also felt like the story really painted him as a very lonely villain - no one in that world ever really understood him or bothered to try to redeem him. And I think the story was pretty brutal in that Nam Soon seemed almost to understand him when she said that line about him being lost. But then at the end, everything unravelled without her ever trying to appeal to his good nature. Maybe it wouldn't have worked. But maybe it would have because he seemed to have genuinely liked her despite being an evil guy. And she could have used that to coax him out of his plans. But she sort of fought fire with fire and brushed him off as evil forever :idk:

I guess only the audience gets to see Ryu Si Oh's vulnerable and lonely sides. Was he evil? Yes. But it felt like no one really took stock of all the things that made him evil and no one ever gave him a chance to change his ways :nervous:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

18 hours ago, JenL said:

Hahaha I had the same feelings - I was unsure at first, but then really enjoyed it, but then lost interest again (or felt cringe for certain scenes). I also persevered for @mademoiselle (But really, it was proba bly for Rowoon ) Speaking of which I was recently surprised when I found out someone at work watches Korean dramas (they're quite hipster and so I didn't expect them to be interested)...but they love it. And they love Rowoon too - they thought he was very handsome and also really enjoyed She Would Never Know...haha your man is converting people into drama watching, Mademoiselle!

Hmm yeah, just say it you guys persevered for beautiful suave Rowoon. :laugh: I don't have faith me pulling out friendship card will be as effective as @SilverMoonTea's. She Would Never Know is great! Rowoon's character is a non-existential best boyfriend in real life. I'd totally sign up for one like him if he looks like Rowoon.

17 hours ago, JenL said:

Q9) A Doomed Romance You Were Shipping Anyway

I read the spoiler, and I failed to understand. Why can't he drink a bit of her blood without killing her? Not possible? Can't cultivate or clone her blood?

@JenL Did you watch Soundtrack 2? It has that actor you liked from Pachinko.

GB52JclboAA5C5N?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 12/2/2023 at 2:57 AM, stroppyse said:

I think I am watching many but dropping it as much as it too. So I have peeked to some of your lists here to recall what titles could be the same with mine. For me first 2 memorable one might be these. 

#1 Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim S3 and Behind Your Touch. 

I watched these two fully complete. I enjoy tje storyline so much. 

#2  RTDK 3 & Twinkling Watermelon

I find my new love for CHW and RW. I never thought that they could have a great chemistry with father-son friendship. And the title gives so much meaning itself. 

#3 -

#4 Kim sabu with the ddoldam team & Han Yi Chan with the watermelon bandmates

I like how positive energy I could feel through watching their persistency and tireless spirit whether in the most difficult situations or achieving life goals.

The rest questions might be for later. 

Currently, I'm watching 3 dramas, MD, TSOPMC and WTSR. MD doesnt excite me as much as their early teasers. I feel like there is something missing in my food but I couldnt tell what. But their pretty looks still keep me watching. Lol.

As the Joseon conteact marriage tremendously losing my interest as the couple confirms their relationship so I keep using ffd button to skip scene, 1 hour make it 10 minutes. Saves my time a lot. Again, thanks to pretty face of BIK I'm hangging on to this. And my last hope of getting a drama with a good storyline is new release WTSR. I think I get along quite well with light or warm drama with healing theme, friendship and family bonding in it. And the Power Ranger gangs here r pretty fun so far. Hopefully it will last long with me. 😄

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

Happy Holidays!

Sorry for being late to the discussion. 😅 Will be answering in general, which hopefully covers the topics. 😆

My dramas and movies journey this year were mostly Chinese the first half, then Japanese the rest of it.

I'm glad that the drama adaptation of Hidden Love has been well-received and there was a clamour of Sang Yan's story to be shot and shown soon. Zhao Lusi and Chen Zhe Yuan were adorable and believable as Sang Zhi and Duan Jia Xu; there were some scenes though that regrettably didn't make the final cut. Also, even if Victor Ma was great as ideal sibling Sang Yan in the drama, part of me prefers that the true Sang Yan, the thug, uncompromising, and darkly secretive brother in the novels, would have been more interesting to watch.

For movies I've seen all three Detective Chinatown, discovering the impressive Liu Haoran. Young as he is, he's heaps better than many seasoned older actors who are more often than not stuck in one kind of role one drama after another, perhaps due to still relying more on their looks but remains meh when it comes to acting.

I've also seen the 12 eps drama version of Detective Chinatown, which was fun for me to watch since a couple characters are dead ringers to two friends. The three stories of cases to be solved were very entertaining since not only the movie leads appear, the timelines for all the leads be it drama or movie versions on when they're off to their adventures are covered.

I've also seen Under the Skin, another mystery genre Cdrama which I've thoroughly enjoyed since it touches on forensic art. Tan Jian Ci and Jin Shijia were perfect for their roles as artist and police detective. More of their bromance in season 2!

The release of the animated series of a novel and manga I've been reading last August rekindled my childhood adoration of Japanese shows. 😊

From this anime:

MV5BNjdlZWY1MzctOGUxNS00YmViLWFiOTMtNmQx

ctto

I patiently waited for the live action movie, which was, for some months since early this year, I've been seeing the released promo clips in YT every now and then.

MV5BNmFmMjZiYTgtMjM4MS00NmI5LTk1MzUtMDY2

ctto

Spoiler

The story of the ML and FL played by Ren Meguro and Mio Imada was so beautifully portrayed! 😍 

And then, they reunited in Trillion Game drama! 🤩 This time, as antagonists! 🤣

Spoiler

The drama that made Ren Meguro one of my favourite, must watch actors though would be Silent.

MV5BODM5OWI4NWMtN2I5OC00N2MzLTg0ODctMGRh

ctto

This drama is very unique and deserving of the multiple awards it received, and acting awards for the main and support cast.

This drama, had me crying my eyes out in almost all of its 11 episodes. You'd understand from this YT clip link:

https://youtu.be/n555J6pJHcM?feature=shared

I've seen two more movies of Ren Meguro, Phases of the Moon, and him with his idol group mates Snow Man in the live action Osomatsu-kun. For both movies he also received acting awards. Then there's also his light romcom Kieta Hatsukoi with Naniwa Danshi idol Michieda Sunsuke.

I didn't really watch much, and thankfully none of what I've seen made me feel regretful. If anything, I've really enjoyed the time spent seeing these dramas and movies.

I'm having a bit of hesitation to watch live action Yu Yu Hakusho, though I still plan to do so before the year is over. I still can't wrap in my head how a 112 eps anime series is only 5 episodes for its drama adaptation. 

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 3

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

On 12/22/2023 at 1:56 PM, mademoiselle said:

I am actually watching this. I downloaded some episodes on my app during my trip. Yet to finish though I got spoiled on the ending. ML is Steve Noh - I also like him which is why I am watching it ahahah...

Hello everyone! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I'm going to play a bit catch-up now that my year end travels have come to an end...

4. My favourite relationship in a drama -- There are a few that come to mind but Elvis Han and Elvira Cai's pairing in Fake It Till You Make It is the one I rewatched over and over. The leads brought their A game to the push and pull. They sizzled from Day 1.

5. What drama did not meet your expectations? -- From the more recent crop I'd say The Story of Kunning Palace because I just couldn't bring myself root for the leads. Their "romance" came across more like a fanfic fetish than a properly built up adult one. Also I felt that the Zhang Zhe character was horribly short-changed in this adaptation especially because of all the fanfare from the set-up. The resolution was all over the place and not a lot made sense at the end.

There's something about The Worst of Evil that seemed to fall short of greatness. Maybe it was the Gatsby-like focus on the faux love triangles. 

The sequels to Taxi Driver and The Uncanny Counter probably would apply although I finished both.  

Miraculous Brothers could have done with a trim. Honestly, I could say the same about a lot of dramas this year. Far too many outstaying their welcome.

Crash Course in Romance was another that left me with a vague sense of dissatisfaction especially considering Jung Kyung-ho as the male lead. The leads just didn't have that kind of chemistry to make this more compelling. Didn't really like the finale much TBH.

6. Best Appa and Oma... The title probably goes to Ning Yuanzhou and Ren Ruyi in Journey to Love. At times it feels like The Brady Bunch or something along those lines. I like that role that they play in the narrative rather than their romance.

7. Journey to Love most definitely wins the title of "Best Family/ Squad". The banter, the character arcs and familial dynamics  -- unmatched by any other show that I saw. The show did all of it with humour and feels. A'Ying's arc in particular is super good. 

8. A drama I wished I hadn't watched. Scent of Time because of that ending that changes how the entire drama should be seen. A redemption drama that undermined its own premise. Watched it for Wang Xingyue more than anything else. I don't even know why Moon in the Day was greenlit. It was an utter waste of everybody's time. At 8 episodes it might have been salvageable. But honestly it doesn't move the needle to warrant the effort. I did like the doomed couple though.

9. Doomed romance I was shipping. Definitely the couple of Moon in the Day. I also barracked for Tan Jianci's Xiang Liu from Lost You Forever to get the girl even when I knew that it would end in tears. Still lowkey grieving over that one. Such is the power of the sea serpent.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Topic 12: Who was your favourite character?

I'm actually unsure whether I liked these characters because the characters were played by handsome actors, or it's because the characters itself. Hahaha! 😅

Duan Jia Xu + Sang Zhi (Hidden Love) - Albeit his family issues, Jia Xu didn't let himself fall to the bottom of the pits and gave up his dream. He worked diligently to pay off his father's debt and pursue his dream. I like that he is strong and didn't lose himself when darkness finds him. He is a sweet and considerate (but cheeky) boyfriend. I loved that as an older brother figure, he was nice and look out for Sang Zhi when she was young. On the contrary, I liked that Sang Zhi's love gave Jia Xu a sense of home and healed him. Often unknowingly to Sang Zhi, the little things she does to Jia Xu cheers him on and gave him emotional comfort and encouragement.

Jang Shin Yu (Destined With You) - Being super charming aside, Shin Yu is at first a cold and arrogant due to his chaebol background and family history. However, after falling for the female lead, he became quite a comedian and brought me lots of laughter. Shin Yu is the kind of person who doesn't fall in love easily (due to his family curse), so the man basically never truly loved anyone until the female lead came along. The way he showed his love was clumsy, cheesy and cute. I loved watching Shin Yu being confused with his feelings, going back and forth with his words. Once his feelings were reciprocated, he's the most devoted man to his lady. I really enjoy watching how the actor portray Shin Yu. 

Jung Gu Won (My Demon) - I don't think I've ever not like a mythical character. Be it alien, goblin, grim reaper or a demon! These characters are just naturally appealing when thrown into the mix in a fantasy drama. Gu Won is deadly charming as a demon, but also super cute when he is head over heels with his human wife. As he's so-called the demon, one would think he is evil, but I actually think Gu Won has a good heart. It's evident through him keeping Park Bok Gyu (human butler) and Jin Ga Young (a human sword dancer) by his side. Not to mention, he's willing to sacrifice his life for Do Hee.

Jo Yong Pil (Welcome to Samdalri) - He's a friend, a lover, an ex, a son. He's always there is Sam Dal's life through thick and thin. He's sweet and friendly to everyone. He takes care of Sam Dal's family when the sisters are all away. He's the only one who knows Sam Dal from top to bottom and is always there for her, even when he isn't able to be there physically. His love is unconditional and forever.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 1
On 12/24/2023 at 10:33 PM, Maya said:

The story of the ML and FL played by Ren Meguro and Mio Imada was so beautifully portrayed!

I really liked this movie too. Have you seen this fan made video of their story? I thought it captured everything so beautifully. :wow:

Spoiler

@abs-oluteM I just finished watching Soundtrack #2 and I started it for the same reason too -- Noh Sang Hyun. Haha! He is a very handsome guy and I thought the character of Suho matched him well. I wasn't a fan of the reason used (which was the same one as the first time) for their second break up. I wished we had more of the FL's POV. The ending also seemed a bit abrupt. They had almost an entire episode to wrap up the storyline and it just felt a little meh. 

15 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm actually unsure whether I liked these characters because of the characters were played by handsome actors, or it's because the characters itself. Hahaha!

HAHAHAHAHA!! The actors are what draws us in first, so it's ok if it's for that reason too. :lmao2:

In Chinese dramaland, my favorite character was arguably Yu Shisan from A Journey to Love. I don't think I have the right words to explain how great this character was and how amazing Fang Yilun was at playing him.

Yu Shisan's motto in life is to drink the strongest wine, meet the most beautiful girls, make the best of friends, and fight the greatest wars. :laugh:

AJTL-11.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

Q12. Who was your favourite character?

Lost You Forever S1's Xiang Liu, hands down. He frustrates me, I am convinced he got dropped on all 9 heads as a baby serpent because of the noble idiocy (with a capital "I") with which he makes his choices, but I loved him way back in the novel, and I love him still in the very capable hands of TJC. And now I am preparing for even more pain as far as he is concerned in S2.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

13 hours ago, Tofu said:

@abs-oluteM I just finished watching Soundtrack #2 and I started it for the same reason too -- Noh Sang Hyun. Haha! He is a very handsome guy and I thought the character of Suho matched him well. I wasn't a fan of the reason used (which was the same one as the first time) for their second break up. I wished we had more of the FL's POV. The ending also seemed a bit abrupt. They had almost an entire episode to wrap up the storyline and it just felt a little meh. 

IKR ...his features are just wonderful. He is ready for ML roles hahahaah.

The last episode wasted a lot time ...

Spoiler

I am like ok ok ...please find yourself quickly. This is the problem with all these kdramas- they write the MLs really well but sometimes the plotline can be such a disservice to the FL. 

-----------------------------

My favourite character is Dr Dong Go Yun ( played by Yeon Woo Jin ) in the Daily Dose of Sunshine. If we are talking about green flag characters , he's the greenest of them all. But more than that what I love about him was how he always had an open channel for communication. He was upfront about his feelings but never pushy. Even when the FL was going through a hard time , he kept his distance to give her space and never employed any of those noble idiocy tropes that I hate. He was there for her quietly and waited for her to overcome the hurdles she was facing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 12/15/2023 at 4:59 PM, mademoiselle said:

Castaway Diva - Park Eun Bin & Cha Hak Yeon. I like Woo Hak and did wish we could clone Mok Ha for him.

Now you know how I feel in every drama where I have strong second lead syndrome :laugh: I just want to clone them. Why won't anyone let me find love for the second lead?! :psweatduck:

On 12/18/2023 at 1:58 AM, SilverMoonTea said:

Maybe not to be ban, but every drama is having past lives trope right now and it's getting a bit tiring. 

And I'm also not so into sickness being brought up into the plot, I'm watching drama to get relax and this theme kinda stressed me out? Eventhough everyone was saying I like pale and sickly ML

Hahaha I agree with you. Past lives has been getting way annoying. I feel like it's the new version of childhood friends. I get that they like to show that people are destined for each other...but please at least make it make sense and don't use it in just any drama :shocked:

I've also always disliked illnesses in dramas. It's one of the worst tropes. When everyone was obsessed with 1 litre of tears, I was like nope, not for me. I did make the mistake of watching this Taiwanese drama called Starlight with Jerry Yan where hhe has a terminal illness. I find the thing that bothers me is often not the illness, but the noble idiocy performed when someone becomes ill in the drama. It's all too overly dramatic and stresses me out :psweatduck:

On 12/18/2023 at 12:59 AM, rocher22 said:

Topic 5 : What drama did not meet expectation.

My Lovely Liar,  Bloodhounds, Duty After School..

Oh no, why did Bloodhounds not meet expectations? Was it the ending?  I really liked that drama. Except it had a lacklustre ending after the bloody episode. :idk:

On 12/18/2023 at 3:46 PM, themarchioness said:

I actually still don't mind this trope when it is central to the plot, but a lot of times, these days, you'll have a drama where the leads meet in their adult life, go through a perfectly fine story to get to the end of the drama, and so when that end "twist" is added, it just feels extraneous.  If it doesn't add anything to the story or their relationship, I think a drama is better off leaving it out.  It doesn't make it any cuter, meaningful, or whatnot.  If anything, it just joins a host of other dramas who've done the same.

Yessss, I totally agree with this! It goes for the they-knew-each-other-in-theiir-past-lives trope as well. If it doesn't add anything importannt to the storyline it's just corny and overused these days. I think it use to be orginial or suprising or touching. Now it's just a bit of a cliche :idk:

On 12/19/2023 at 3:56 AM, abs-oluteM said:

Worst trope to ban - love triangle cuz I hate having SLS . I usually root for the ML, but of late I don’t know what’s happening to me 🤣🤣🤣. Did get @SilverMoonTea’s syndrome? 

I think we've swapped positions. I'm usually constantly second lead loving, but this year I don't think I've been in that position. It's been weird liking the main lead all the time :heiboi:

On 12/20/2023 at 9:47 PM, mademoiselle said:

Who was the best villain?

1. Bloodhounds - Park Sung Woong

2. The Good Bad Mother - Ra Mi Ran

Park Sung Woong's villain in Bloodhounds is the typical villains in shows where he's cruel and kills etc. What makes him the best out of the lot this year is his portrayal of his character done very well. Super evil and cruel, down to even killing a pregnant woman.

Good answer. I was revolted by the Bloodhounds gangsters, but also couldn't look away the whole time. It was super cruel and super violent...but that's what makes the character the bbest of the villains. Haha I don't know if I'd consider Ra Mi Ran a villain, but when she was a bad mother, she was terrible. I actually really disliked her and felt uncomfortable at times. I get the Asian parenting, but it was too extreme! :shocked:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

On 12/22/2023 at 4:56 PM, mademoiselle said:

Hmm yeah, just say it you guys persevered for beautiful suave Rowoon. :laugh: 

Hahaha ok I definitely continued on with Destined with You for Rowoon. In a suit. Being clingy :laugh:

Didn't perservere for you at all :lmao2:

On 12/22/2023 at 4:56 PM, mademoiselle said:

I'm actually watching it now! I still think he's pretty, but his character is a little immature. I feel sorry for him though because so far the breakup with the girlfriend in the past does not make sense. Have you watched this season @mademoiselle or did you skip it because the actors didn't interest you? The first season was Park Hyung Sik right? I love him but for some reason couldn't get into the pairing so skipped it. Will you watch Park Hyung Sik's nnew drama with Park Shin Hye??? (Was it you that said this was not your ideal pairing?) :thinking:

On 12/25/2023 at 10:09 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I am actually watching this. I downloaded some episodes on my app during my trip. Yet to finish though I got spoiled on the ending. ML is Steve Noh - I also like him which is why I am watching it ahahah...

Hello everyone! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. 

14 hours ago, Tofu said:

Yayyy! Finally someone else who is a fan of Steve Noh...he was a hot pastor in Pachinko. Almost made me want to be religious :pandahehe: Oh damn, just read the spoilers in @Tofu's answer. I will pretend I dnon't know what's going to happen :pandablind:

On 12/26/2023 at 11:07 PM, mademoiselle said:

I'm actually unsure whether I liked these characters because the characters were played by handsome actors, or it's because the characters itself. Hahaha! 😅

This is how I feel when I adopt an Oppa...do I like him because he's hot or because he's a good person or because his character was those things? :pandathink:

48 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

IKR ...his features are just wonderful. He is ready for ML roles hahahaah.

The last episode wasted a lot time ...

He is a very handsome man with a jawline :wow:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Topic 12: Who was your favourite character?

My favourite characters were all people who tried hard and had super positive outlooks even when things were bleak! I think it's because they inspire me! :pandahehe:

Tied for #1: Gun Woo and Woo Jin of Bloodhounds. Things got so so so bleak in that drama. That bloody episode killed me (Well it killed everyone in the drama almost). But the next scene you see them back up and training again to get back at the bad guys. I loved that fighting spirit and sense of brotherhood. I wish I had that level of resilience when things get tough :pandachamp:

#2: Nam Soon of Strong Woman Nam Soon. I enjoyed her happy-go-lucky ways and her ability to connect with everyone, even the villain. There's something about that kind of attitude that makes you smile and wish she was your friend.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

Topic 12 : Who was your favorite character 

Neo Hou's character from I am Nobody

54bc1758e20ba7adf14df6dead985af6.jpg

Nunbyeol...  Arthdal Chronicles 2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4bVSduCxRjP2VDC17eos

5 hours ago, JenL said:

Oh no, why did Bloodhounds not meet expectations? Was it the ending?  I really liked that drama. Except it had a lacklustre ending after the bloody episode. 

That was a great cast.

But, for some reason, after the first two episodes I dropped the drama.

Although, I watched some scenes and the ending. 

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

@SilverMoonTea @JenL I don't mind past lives trope so much if they are done well, same with childhood friends. It's just happened that this year's drama theme is "past lives" (previous years were lawyers or doctors etc). Did a bit of research and there are about 9 dramas with past lives tropes. But hey, it didn't look that much now~ hahaha!

1. See You In My 19th Life
  2. Moon in the Day
  3. Destined With You
  4. My Man is Cupid
  5. My Demon
  6. Kokdu: Season of Deity
  7. The Story of Park's Marriage Contract
  8. Durian's Affair
  9. A Good Day to be A Dog

I didn't watch #6 or #8 so no comment. So far, my least favourite use of past life trope in drama is #1 and #2. I heard #1 was supposed to be good, but the ending left me super puzzled. The protagonist resolved her issue that ended this loop of reincarnation where she'd remember her past lives, but I honestly don't get the logic of how she could "forget" all of them in her current life. Her past lives and memory in this life is what make her... HER!

As for #2, the reason of how it all started just did not gel well with the supposedly tragic love story. Once the reason was revealed, it didn't feel tragic anymore. Right, @Tofu ? 😂

We're starting a new year, so the past life trope should decrease in number. Hahaha! I'm curious what theme/trope it will be.

7 hours ago, JenL said:

I'm actually watching it now! I still think he's pretty, but his character is a little immature. I feel sorry for him though because so far the breakup with the girlfriend in the past does not make sense. Have you watched this season @mademoiselle or did you skip it because the actors didn't interest you? The first season was Park Hyung Sik right? I love him but for some reason couldn't get into the pairing so skipped it. Will you watch Park Hyung Sik's nnew drama with Park Shin Hye??? (Was it you that said this was not your ideal pairing?)

I read comments that the first half of Soundtrack 2 was good, but not the second half. It seems to be true. Hence, it's not appealing to me as much now. @JenL Correct, this season's pairing doesn't interest me. Indeed, I watched for Park Hyung Sik and thought how bad can two beautiful people in one drama be. Han So Hee didn't quite hit the note for me. Yeap, didn't like Hyung Sik new drama because of the pairing. Anyone paired with her is never an ideal pairing. I don't know if she'll be better now since she's married and a mother, maybe she can portray romance better...? I kept hoping, but had always been disappointed.

7 hours ago, JenL said:

This is how I feel when I adopt an Oppa...do I like him because he's hot or because he's a good person or because his character was those things? 

Oppa being hot/handsome definitely helps enhance the love for a character. I never let myself wonder whether he's a good person in real life—because no one (us as fans) truly knows. Actors/idols sell dreams. I preferred not knowing if he's a jerk in real life and continue to dream. 😅

• Haha 4
  • Party! 1
On 12/27/2023 at 5:15 AM, Tofu said:

I really liked this movie too. Have you seen this fan made video of their story? I thought it captured everything so beautifully.

Yep! Fans are so talented with their editing! This is one of my favourite edits, cos it's a mesh of the two roles of the ML and FL, with a song about fireflies and dragons. 

More Ren Meguro worship while listening to the movie theme, hehehe!

XXXXX######XXXXX

Someone who could be the best villain, but unfortunately a missed opportunity to explore more of her character in the drama, would have to be the obsessed stalker of Duan Jia Xu.

Then there are the villains that make up "Q" in the drama and movies franchise of Detective Chinatown.

And... Tan Jian Ci's Shen Yi in Under The Skin - he is also his own best enemy.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

@Maya Ahhh!! Meguro Ren is adorable and that fanmade video of them is really well edited too! For a minute there I forgot I was watching a fanmade video and thought it was an actual drama. :laugh:

Memorable Scene.

I'm not going to lie, I specifically made this prompt so I can talk about this scene from Twinkling Watermelon. Haha! It is without a doubt one of the most memorable scenes from all the dramas I watched this year. I often think back to this scene whenever I'm communicating with my brother and he does not understand me (I have a brother who's deaf). You can feel the emotions and the frustration from the inability to communicate effectively in this scene. Highly recommend this drama to anyone who has not watched it!

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

This was the most memorable scene for me.

GClDkhMawAA9Wtw?format=jpg&name=medium

It's from the ending of ep 4 of My Dearest. Nam Goong Min & Ahn EunJin's characters had met just briefly before the war. While he had liked her almost instantly, she didn't have a very good impression of him as he had this reputation of being a "womanizer" & a "misogynist". However he was a very resourceful man, and they had interacted on several occasions before the war since she needed his help. Anyway, during the war, the entire village was on the run and in this scene, AEJ and her female companions were being attacked by what the show called as barbarians. Of course he came to save her and just as he was about to be attacked himself , she subconsciously called him "my dear "  ( In Korean it was "so-bang-nim"). After he fended off the attacker, he bent over and asked her if she had just called him that. This man is a legend - in a middle of a life and death situation , he was just happy she called him that. :laugh:

It created so much buzz for this show and became the catalyst for ratings to start rising. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1