Bells or Buzzers - 2023 Drama Reflections

stroppyse

Topic 13 A memorable scene from a drama I watched

(1) Twinkling Watermelon

This is a difficult one because looking through the list, there wasn't one that really stood out, which is why I was procrastinating. Thanks @Tofu for reminding me of the father–son argue scene. This scene was the deciding factor for checking the drama out! So, one vote to Twinkling Watermelon from me, too. And +1 in recommending everyone to check it out.

(2) Bloodhounds

One vote goes to Bloodhounds. I remember how much I was at the edge of my seat and HAD to stop the episode to calm down when villain Park Sung Woong went on an ALL KILL hunt for our beloved protagonist team! :PsyWhat: I also remember thinking I needed "emotional support" but there was no one around in Janghaven since I was the first to start on the drama.

(3) Romantic Doctor 3

When actor, Yoo Yeon Seok, returned to Doldam Hospital and had his medical ER scene and conflict with the others. Gaaaaah, it brought back so much of the thrills (and tension) from S1 that was somehow lacking in S2 and S3.

P.S. Too bad variety show House On Wheels 4 was from 2022. Else, I'd say the scene where Rowoon nagged Hye Yoon and Jae Wook they must wash the spam :laugh:.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3
  • Party! 1

Topic 13 : A memorable scene from a drama you watched

The skating scene between the ML (Xiao Zhan) and the SFL.. The Youth Memories

4:57  - 5:48

The scene between Mr.Ye (Wang Yibo) and Director He (Tony Leung) from Hidden Blade

e0abd8ec9f789fb73d85656abccb428f9259f778

c43d82d95576ece752512d0ca4f8f3cfb9a472ec

ctto

Edited by rocher22
  • Like 2
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Topic 14   An actor/actress who made a good impression

Xiao Zhan....Wang Yibo         

A few months ago I randomly came across the drama ''The Youth Memories''.

When XZ appeared on the screen I thought - '' Who is this actor, he looks so charismatic''.  

Then I watched The Untamed and thats when I saw Wang Yibo for the first time. I instantly liked him. 

bef47eea4817913e53fc179a6aedeb8d.jpg

Ren Meguro...a Japanese actor

Haru, RM's character from Trillion Game...:smile:

meguro-ren-ren-meguro.gif

Tsao Yuning...a Taiwanese actor

I loved him in Mysterious Love and Love of Replica...:pandalove:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB2kRWeJU5C20wwTCNJsT

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Topic 13. A memorable scene from a drama I watched 

1. Breakdown scenes of Sang Zhi at the airport, and Duan Jia Xu's father's death in Hidden Love.

Memorable for me cos I wasn't certain if they would be able to make the viewers feel the raw emotions of heart being broken and losing someone without closure; it wasn’t merely crying. And they delivered. ❤️ 

2. First meeting of Sou and Tsumigi 8 years after they broke up in「silent」.💔😭

3. First confrontation of the two MLs in Under the Skin.

Topic 14. An actor/actress who made a good impression

1. Ren Meguro

2. Liu Haoran

3  Tan Jian Ci

4. Chen Zhe Yuan

5. Michieda Shunsuke

6. Mio Imada

7. Haruna Kawaguchi

8. Ryohei Abe

9. Watanabe Shota

Edited by Maya
  • Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Topic 15   An actor/actress you wish to see next year

Im waiting for Xio Zhan's new movie....

I also want to see next year...

- Yibo

- Ren Meguro

- Chu Yeong Woo...I liked him in Once Upon a Small Town

1b3450bf118bbbd25787f43d1a7993881c054693

- Kim Kwon.... He is so good as a villain...:heart:

e2cb13f32505c33240a8ece73816369a.jpg

- Lee Soo Hyuk

b9d4e437377155dbdd8db55a03aa8efd43ae6e08

ctto

- Lee Joon

- Lee Jae Wook

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 2

The final topics...

This year I discovered Chinese and Japanese dramas..

Unchained Love, Provoke, Forever Love, Love of Replica...:love:

Never Give Up, I am Nobody, Trillion Game...:laugh:

Ripe Town, Chase The Truth, The Glory...:wow2:

The Last Promise, The Youth Memories, Sunshine By My Side...I finished them because of Xiao Zhan..:pandalove:

7Escape...:pandawhat:....I dont like makjang dramas, but I love Lee Joon...:heart:

thai dramas

Enigma and Tricky In Love..:hearties:

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 2

An actor / actress who made a good impression

• Chen Zhe Yuan: I was doubtful about his pairing with Lusi, but he surprised me & he made a very strong impression in that scene where he broke down in tears.

• Rowoon: His acting has been neither too bad nor too good. It was decent and above average, especially for an idol actor. However, the breakthrough performance came as he embodied Jang Shin Yu — so many facial expressions, enough to make many memes.

I hope these two actors continue to whoa me in all future projects.

An actor / actress you wish to see next year

• Yang Se Jong, with a drama that has the least amount of romance as possible, please!

• Nam Da Reum, looking manlier after MS. Here's to hope he gets a much more grown up character in a drama to play.

How many dramas did you watch this year?

38 39 finished

• 13 dropped

7 8 currently watching

Use a GIF, emoji or a photo to describe how you feel about dramas this year

How I feel about the dramas throughout the years fluctuated. I'm going to try using more than one GIFs and texts to express my feelings.

Jan to mid-June

Spoiler

Recording-2023-09-02-103136.gif

OMG... what is it with all the dramas? So boring~~

June to mid-October :pandachamp: (Champion months)

Spoiler

img.gif

I'm in love :wow:. Ready for more Jang Shin Yu and Duan Jia Xu!

HL-013.gif

:love: Happy, happy, happy~!!

Mid-October to 23 November

Spoiler

img.gif

Me channelling through Jung Woo, attempted to write to Drama God to complain why these months are so dry and too many past lives dramas. I'm overdosed!!!

24 November to December

Spoiler

img-009.gif

Andddd, we're back to business!

img-009.gif

The humans, who wrote books depicting the Demon to be ugly and evil, must not want to share this beautiful Demon with other girls! We all know the secret now!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

An actor I wish to see -

Kim Jae Young - can’t wait to see him in his first lead role after so long. 
Lee Joon Hyuk - can’t believe he’ll be doing a romance ! 

Kang Tae Oh - he’ll be discharged in March. Excited to see what projects he’ll take on. 

Number of dramas - I’ll need to count this . Quite a fair bit but nothing like @mademoiselle’s level 😀

• Haha 6

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

What trope would you like banned?

In general there's nothing wrong with tropes if used well by skilled writers but philosophically there's the one I detest heartily and that is Noble Idiocy. It robs the other party of agency and moral responsibility in decision making. It seems noble on the surface but in the end everyone suffers. Ignorance is not bliss in such situations. It is a convenient way for writers to prolong the angst and perhaps even the conflict but I tend to lose a bit of respect for the perpetrator.

Favourite Villain?

Probably Shin Ha-kyun in Evillives. Because he doesn't start out as one and gradually develops into one. I also liked Shin Jae-ha's arc in Taxi Driver 2. Those last two episodes with revelations about his backstory were absolutely devastating. Honorable mentions are Heo Sung-tae in Decoy and a whole assortment of people from Big Bet. Big Bet is a fascinating study in villainy. 

Favourite Character?

Either Xiang Liu from Lost You Forever played by the Tan Jianci or Yu Shisan from A Journey to Love played by Fang Yilun. Those are two are standouts and I have a tough time choosing between them. Both are definitely breakthrough roles for the actors and are absolutely scene stealers. They charmed me, amused me and moved me. Without these characters their respective dramas would less than what they are.

Honourable mention would be Gil-chae from My Dearest -- a really fantastic arc for a truly independent woman of her time. Great performance by Ahn Eun-jin.

Memorable Scene? 

There are just too many to recall.

Number of Dramas Watched in 2023 *drum roll* 

Shocking right? I had a lot of time when I was laid up with allergies. And that number doesn't include the ones I didn't/haven't finished.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 5

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Good Impression

Fang Yilun from A Journey to Love and Tseng Ching Hua from Oh No! Here Comes Trouble. Both were amazing! I was very invested in Yu Shisan and Pu Yi Yong. 

Wished to See

I am drawing a blank. I think more than an actor or actress I want to see, I just want more interesting/well-written dramas in 2024. 

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Since the question didn't specify the dramas must be completed, so theirs are definitely higher xD

Hahahaha!! 

I completed 36 dramas, dropped 29 dramas, and I'm currently watching 3 dramas. However, I don't have motivation to finish these three, so it'll probably be 36 completed dramas and 32 dropped dramas soon. :laugh:

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

You are the MVP!!! :LarvitarSDab1::pandachamp:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Clapping Hands 1
9 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Shocking right? I had a lot of time when I was laid up with allergies. And that number doesn't include the ones I didn't/haven't finished.

Gosh....I do know you watched a record number this year but 51....:pandachamp:. That is almost one drama a week. Do you know the breakdown between k and c dramas?

9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM Nah, you should ask @Tofu and @SilverMoonTea. They watched C-dramas AND J-dramas. Tofu even watches Thai. Since the question didn't specify the dramas must be completed, so theirs are definitely higher xD

I already find it hard to juggle kdramas and cdramas.. I don't even know how to squeeze any other language in :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

4 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Do you know the breakdown between k and c dramas?

I would like to know too, @40somethingahjumma. I'm curious to see if you spent more time in Chinese or Korean dramaland. I think I spent more time watching Korean dramas this year. Only a few Chinese dramas caught my attention. I also realized that this year, I preferred costume dramas over the modern ones in Chinese dramaland. 

4 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I already find it hard to juggle kdramas and cdramas.. I don't even know how to squeeze any other language in

It's easy to do when you drop a drama during the time the main couple gets together. It gives you more time for other dramas. Hahaha! Just kidding! @SilverMoonTea and I probably drive @mademoiselle crazy when this happens. :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Gosh....I do know you watched a record number this year but 51....:pandachamp:. That is almost one drama a week. Do you know the breakdown between k and c dramas?

2 hours ago, Tofu said:

I would like to know too, @40somethingahjumma. I'm curious to see if you spent more time in Chinese or Korean dramaland. I think I spent more time watching Korean dramas this year. Only a few Chinese dramas caught my attention. I also realized that this year, I preferred costume dramas over the modern ones in Chinese dramaland.

I did a bit of inventorying. Ha. MDL is helpful in that regard. And discovered that I actually watched a few more than I had remembered. 

Completed C dramas - 20

Completed K dramas - 30 (A large number of them were Season 2s)

Then there are an extra six dramas that don't fit into those two boxes. 

Copycat Killer and Oh No! here Comes Trouble are Taiwanese dramas that I completed.

Then there was the live action adaptation of One Piece.

Memorist and Gaus Electronics were two older K dramas that I watched and The Victim's Game was an older Taiwanese drama as well. 

So yeah... it all adds up to 56. :shocked:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Happy New Year, everyone! Just wanted to pop-in and comment on some of the topics.

Topic 1: What drama brought you joy this year?

Dr. Romantic 3

Revenant

Fake It Till You Make it

A Journey to Love

Topic 4: Fave relationship

Dr. Romantic 3 – Kim Sabu (Han Suk Kyu) and Seo Woo Jin (Ahn Hyo Seop). I liked that this season showed a deeper bond between them. I hope there'll be a season 4 with the same cast.

Topic 7: What drama had the best family/squad?

Dr. Romance 3 and A Journey to Love.

Topic 8: Regretful watches

I typically don’t regret anything that I choose to watch but sometimes I do wonder how I managed to finish King the Land.

Topic 12: Fave character

Fake It Till You Make It’s Xu Zi Quan (Elvis Han). I mean, what a man. Not perfect, but overall, a good-hearted, witty, and funny guy who I think could exist in the real world. The “friendship” ring was such a smooth and romantic move. I wouldn’t mind being Tan Ying (Elvira Cai) and be courted by someone like him.

Topic 13: A memorable scene from a drama I watched

The finale ending scene of Revenant with San Yeong (Kim Tae Ri) and Hae Sang (Oh Jung Se) watching fireworks in the night’s sky. I liked the message of wishing everyone happiness and finding hope, even during the darkest moments.

Topic 14: An actor/actress who made a good impression

He Lan Dou and Liu Yuning from A Journey to Love.

Topic 15: An actor/actress you wish to see next year

Lee Joon Hyuk – I can’t wait for Good or Bad Dong Jae and I’m excited to see him in Between Greetings (aka Acquaintances). It will be my first time seeing him in a rom-com.

Liu Yuning – I hope there’s a chance The Prisoner of Beauty could be released. If not, I look forward to his other upcoming projects.

For the other topics, I couldn't easily think of anything.

• Like 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 3
  • Party! 1

Back to topic 11 lols cos I just finally met my best villain. Well it's already 2024 but whatever 😅😆 

Yukiko Maeda from Gyongseong Creature played by Claudia Kim 

3Yukiko.jpg

You're a certified evil when you're just drinking tea prettily and ask other people to do a dangerous human experiments 😅 At first she looked like perhaps she's a friend eventhough she's Japanese, turned out she's the biggest villain ever in the show. I always knew Claudia Kim, but this is the first time she impressed me so much. She's just very suitable to played this role, and she looked gorgeous on all that simple kimonos. 

Also GSC is my recent favourite drama. It had friendship, comradeship, slight romance, action and nationalism all packed with many twists and turns. The republican era setting, wardrobe and all the prop are perfectly curated and well depicted of 1940's setting. I have love and hate with drama with 40's era setting, as they tend to end with tragic demise from the leads. I knew @mademoiselle not really fond of this era setting. But all of you when have time should try this.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

On 12/31/2023 at 5:41 AM, Maya said:

5. Michieda Shunsuke

Maya I'm super surprised you know him. He's super good on My Second Aoharu. And it reminded me need to complete this drama one day haha... Storyline wise actually I'm not super liking it, as kind of not so realistic, the guy is too young for the FL in my opinion, that's why I'm taking an ages to complete this. 

• Like 4

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

On 1/5/2024 at 7:27 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

Maya I'm super surprised you know him. He's super good on My Second Aoharu.

I know him in his 2021 BL romcom Kieta Hatsukoi. The other ML is Ren Meguro, who has become one of my favourites after seeing his movie Watashi No Shiawase Na Kekkon, and dramas 「silent」and Trillion Game. 

Look at these two cuties! :wow:

I haven't watched other dramas of Michieda though I've seen some clips of his other projects. Someday I want to see him as the villain in a psycho thriller. He has such a wholesome face, a plus to mess up viewers if he takes that kind of role. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero