[K-Artist] Lee Joon Gi 이준기

20 hours ago, bluepebbles said:

Last time i see him wearing one was in My Girl 

Those dangly earrings looked so good on him! If you look at his ears closely in FoE, you can still see the piercing marks lol. Maybe he can do a historical drama in the future and wear a fringe earring on one side only? Oh well, one can dream :BulbaOWO:

Edited by Darkarcana
Removed Quoted Picture
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

𝔻𝔸𝕐 𝟙𝟘 - ℂ𝕙𝕠𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕁𝕠𝕠𝕟𝕘𝕚 𝕃𝕖𝕘𝕖𝕟𝕕

Maybe a legendary Joongi will still be The King and The Clown ? 

This film was selected as the official Korean entry for the Best Foreign Language Film award at the 79th Academy Awards. The runners-up were Kim Ki-duk's Time, and the horror comedy The Host.
7 of 7 found this interesting | Share this
In 2006, this film became the highest grossing Korean film to its date selling over 12 million tickets (with a total gross of over US$70 million) and surpassing the previous record holder, Taegukgi (2004). Its box office record was broken later in the year by Gwoemul (2006).

Flower of Evil” Star Lee Joon Gi Reveals Why He Still Uses "The King and the  Clown" Photo As His Instagram Avatar | KDramaStars

Word of Mouth Triumphs over Blockbuster Hype

February 9, 2006

By Nigel D'Sa

Editor / Staff Writer

The Seoul Times

January saw local Korean films enjoying one of their best months in history, taking in box office receipts of over 78 percent despite the presence of US heavyweights including "King Kong" and the "Chronicles of Narnia." The winning streak was second only to February 2004 when, thanks largely to Korean War blockbuster "Taegugki," domestic films peaked at an 82 percent market share.

There are two ironies surrounding the current success. The first is that many in the film industry feel beleaguered rather than emboldened by this strong showing, as it coincided with the government's announcement that Korea's "Screen Quota" system would be halved, cutting the required annual screen time for Korean films from 40 percent to 20 percent. In the light of local fare dominating nearly 80 percent of the box-office, it is hard to argue for the preservation of protectionist measures, and finance ministers timed the decision well.

The second irony is that unlike "Taegugki" — the star-fueled blockbuster of two years ago — this year's first box-office champion was a modestly budgeted film with no major star-power to draw audiences. Based on the stage-play Yi, about a Jeoseon- (Chosun-) era king and his jester, "King and Clown" cost only 4 million US dollars to make, and has sold almost 10 million tickets since its release six weeks ago, already making it the third most successful film in Korean history.

By contrast, the 15-million-dollar "Typhoon," focusing on the North-South divide, is the most expensive Korean film ever made, with a stellar cast including Jang Dong-Kun, Lee Jung-Jae and Lee Mi-Yeon. Yet it drew only 4.2 million admissions, 2 million short of what it needed to break even. Relying more on special effects and a sensational plot, the film lacked detailed and compelling characters and failed to reach Korean audiences on a personal level.

An even greater bomb was the 10-million-dollar "Blue Swallow" starring Jang Jin-Young. Set during the period of Japanese occupation (1910-45) and purportedly recounting the tale of Korea's first female pilot, this aerial hopeful plummeted, barely drawing 600,000 viewers. Korean audiences may have been disappointed that the film did not come out strongly enough against imperial Japan.

Like many successful Korean films, word of mouth was a tremendous factor in the popularity of "King and Clown." The question "Have you seen that movie?" has a snowball effect on ticket sales here. Based on the true story of a mad king, it is well scripted and performance-driven, with a bit of homoerotic controversy thrown in. While Koreans are a far cry from accepting homosexuality in their own society, it does seem to have market potential. The minor hit "A Bungee Jumping of Their Own" broached the issue, albeit in a way that gave it an underlying heterosexual context. In "King and Clown," it is the gender-bending jester Konggil, played by Lee Joon-Ki, who fascinates both his wealthy patrons and Korean film-going audiences alike.

Feminized men are a growing trend in Korea, with high-school girls apparently going giddy for men who could conceivably pass as women. Last year Korea debuted the world's first manufactured transgender pop group, "Lady." Lee Joon-Ki, who has become famous overnight for his graceful portrayal of Konggil and his girlish good looks, is one of the chief reasons for the film's popularity. Though we cannot say this is simply a case of the lady-boy trend triumphing over big-budget muscle. Much of the film's delight issues from the energetic play-acting and witty sparring of the two clowns.

Some critics account for the big draw of "King and Clown" by proposing that Korean audiences have evolved and refined their movie-going tastes, falling prey less and less to the glossy, hyped, often ridiculous plots of commercial productions, and instead favoring the subtle textures of unique personal dramas. This seems doubtful, if the success of the appallingly asinine sequel, "My Boss, My Teacher," which currently holds the No. 1 position at the box-office, is any indication.

There is no single reason for "King and Clown"s popularity, however a mix of the right ingredients and the power of word of mouth in a dense city like Seoul helped it go a long way. It is also worth noting that Koreans go to the movies a lot more often than they used to. Attendance has more than tripled in the last eight years, making Korea the fifth largest movie-going audience in the world. As for "King and Clown," there is already a stage musical spin-off of in the works.

source: the soultimes

• Like 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Day 11: something that JG and I have in common: 

He talked in his insta live about if he was a bother to his colleagues on set. I share that sentiment too. Sometimes I'm a bit brash and said things without thinking twice about it. I'm also difficult to deal with so I'm kind of worried about that.

Day 12: His best character's best line:

I would choose Do Hyun Soo's line in ep 16: " I feel like we each have one foot chained to a post and are running around and around in circle. You run after me only seeing me from behind. And I flee from you because I don't want to you to see me from the front. In the end, neither of us takes a single step forward" :letalQQ:

• Like 3

𝕃𝕖𝕖 𝕁𝕠𝕠𝕟 𝔾𝕚’𝕤 𝕡𝕠𝕤𝕥-𝔽𝕝𝕠𝕨𝕖𝕣 𝕠𝕗 𝔼𝕧𝕚𝕝 𝕚𝕟𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕧𝕚𝕖𝕨 (𝟚𝟘𝟚𝟘/𝟘𝟡/𝟚𝟡) - ℙ𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝟙

Chris for taking the effort of translating/condensing all of his interviews.

𝒯𝒽𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽𝓉𝓈 𝑜𝓃 𝒻𝒾𝓃𝒾𝓈𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝐹𝓁𝑜𝓌𝑒𝓇 𝑜𝒻 𝐸𝓋𝒾𝓁

I always get mixed feelings when I finish a project, but now even more so after finishing Flower of Evil. I feel relieved that I finished this race well; fulfilled that I took the weight I initially felt and channeled it into bringing [the drama] to a successful conclusion; and empty after saying goodbye to everyone I worked with on set through thick and thin. On top of that, doing this interview right after I finished it, I start missing everything again, which makes the feelings I have even more complicated. I feel so lonely, but I’m also grateful for so many things right now.

𝒲𝒽𝓎 𝒹𝒾𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝑜𝓈𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝒹𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒶?

When I first read the script for Flower of Evil, I thought, ‘I am not capable enough to handle this project.’ This character is equal parts a loving father, a devoted husband, and a man who’s hiding a sad and brutal past. So before I made my decision, I kept asking myself, ‘Is actor Lee Joon Gi capable enough to handle this role now?’ I wondered if I could convince viewers, and what if the ‘colors’ so unique to actor Lee Joon Gi that people had seen in my previous works came out too strong, upsetting the overall balance of the drama? I worried so much.

Spoiler

Fortunately, I had about two weeks until I had to make the decision. I read the script over and over again, picturing in my head how this was going to turn out. Then it occurred to me, ‘Maybe it’s destiny that sent this drama to me.’ I also wanted to make this drama a turning point in my acting career.

Before we got started, Chaewon and I said things like, ‘If we do a good job on this project, we can probably pioneer this new genre ‘suspense melodrama’ by bringing into it emotions that are unique to us.’ The talk we had further convinced me that I should do this drama.

In the end, for me, choosing Flower of Evil was a bold decision to make. I was so curious about this future yet to be painted and imagined what it’d be like. I was so inspired by the curiosity and imagination I had that I could barely contain myself.

Before the shoot began, I met writer Yoo Jung-hee and we talked a lot. She was so passionate about the drama and explained all the hints, clues, and emotions contained in scene after scene. This helped me a lot in building my character. I saw how immensely dedicated she was to this project, so I wanted to reciprocate by giving a really good performance. I am deeply grateful to the writer for having complete faith in me and giving me the chance to live as my character Do Hyun Soo.

(𝒪𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒸𝑜𝓃𝒸𝑒𝓇𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝐹𝓁𝑜𝓌𝑒𝓇 𝑜𝒻 𝐸𝓋𝒾𝓁 𝓂𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓂𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓅𝑒𝑜𝓅𝓁𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝓇𝑜𝓁𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝒯𝓌𝑜 𝒲𝑒𝑒𝓀𝓈)

Actually, after I made my decision, the thing that concerned the director, the writer, and the production staff most was, ‘What if Flower of Evil reminds people of Two Weeks and feels familiar?’ In the latter, I also depicted a desperate father’s love. There my character gets pushed to the very edge and I had such a tough time while immersed in my role. But everyone told me, ‘No, this [Flower of Evil] is different.’

Spoiler

Despite all that, I don’t even remember how many times I went over the script, over and over again. Of course, there weren’t any scenes that felt too familiar. On the contrary, the unique and originally-written situations in Flower of Evil captured my imagination, and I found them so appealing.

Then I started to define the overall ‘tone and manner’ of the drama based on two words, ‘Truth’ and ‘Love.’ Doing this really put to rest those worries I initially had. Focusing on the original storyline of Flower of Evil and the narrative revolving around this character Do Hyun Soo, I could create a unique character of my own.

𝒲𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒹𝒾𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒻𝑜𝒸𝓊𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓇𝓉𝒾𝒸𝓊𝓁𝒶𝓇𝓁𝓎 𝑜𝓃 𝒾𝓃 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝓅𝑜𝓇𝓉𝓇𝒶𝓎𝒶𝓁 𝑜𝒻 𝐵𝒶𝑒𝓀 𝐻𝑒𝑒 𝒮𝑒𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒟𝑜 𝐻𝓎𝓊𝓃 𝒮𝑜𝑜?

In portraying these two sides of the character, I put a great deal of effort into creating the reactions he shows in his interactions with various other characters. Since Do Hyunsoo cannot feel emotions, I thought every small expression and reaction mattered and it would make each scene powerful and convincing. Of course, it wasn’t something I could do alone just by doing research and lots of thinking. That’s why I kept sharing ideas with the director, the writer, and even the director of photography (cinematographer) who kept a close watch on me, as well as every single one of the cast. If poorly done, Do Hyunsoo could have easily been a cliché and a simple, emotionless psychopath. So I paid attention to and focused on small details.

Spoiler

It was so hard, but it was the director who worked the hardest. Hahaha. He really went out of his way to communicate with his actors and kept all the emotions in balance, keeping them perfectly under control. For my part, I focused particularly on rehearsals going over the previous scenes we did and working with my co-stars to find the emotional flows (continuity) and emotional highs and lows that would look convincing. Personally, I am very grateful to Chaewon for helping me come up with more diverse reactions. Without the hard work put in by all these actors, who together delivered such an amazing ensemble performance, the synergy that enabled those explosive emotions in the latter half would not have been possible.

Instead of monitoring how I acted on set, I tried to watch the drama from viewers’ point of view. I put a lot of thought into how I should convey the variations of the emotions Hyunsoo feels so they’d feel even more painful and poignant. I tried to make those emotions look not far-fetched, but convincing. So I put lots of thought into each and every single thing I created. Of course, it was really hard. Hahaha.

I actually had a bit of trouble understanding the bouts of hyperventilation Hyunsoo experiences until I read the scripts for the later episodes. I even jokingly said, ‘Since when did Hyunsoo have this chronic disease?’ It wasn’t clear to me so I had trouble getting the details right. I could only guess ‘Hyunsoo is going through some changes,’ ‘Maybe he’s experiencing physical changes as the emotions he’s feeling in his brain start to unlock.’ I think, in the end, those [physical symptoms] allowed me to effectively express the emotional changes in Hyunsoo. In fact, during the filming, I came up with different versions of those scenes of him hyperventilating. I even thought of seizures, but decided it’d be too much so didn’t end up using them.

𝐻𝑜𝓌 𝒹𝒾𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓅𝓇𝑒𝓅𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝒸𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝓂𝓊𝓁𝓉𝒾𝒻𝒶𝒸𝑒𝓉𝑒𝒹 𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓇𝒶𝒸𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒟𝑜 𝐻𝓎𝓊𝓃 𝒮𝑜𝑜?

Baek Hee Seong had to look natural as a metal craft artist. Before the shoot started, I pictured in my head how he should look by watching some metalworking videos on YouTube that might be helpful for my performance. I also met a real-life metal craft artist and learned some details in person, so I could use them to make me look like a real metal craft artist.

Spoiler

In portraying a warm, loving father, I actually improvised a lot. The director left it up to me to try out many different things. So I created a lot of things with Eunha from scratch, for instance, by playing with her. On days when I had scenes with Eunha, I showed up early to work and tried to stay close to her as much as possible. Sometimes, I was exhausted more from having so much fun with Eunha than from working on set. Hahaha.

In portraying a husband, I worked with Chaewon and we exchanged all kinds of ideas in building our characters. Chaewon is so detail-oriented and great at focusing on her emotions. So she helped me fill in a lot of the gaps I left and could have missed. Because of this, as we neared the end of the filming, just thinking about Cha Jiwon alone brought a lump to my throat.

In depicting the life of Do Hyunsoo, I owe my co-stars a lot for the help they gave me. With Seo Hyunwoo, who played Moojin, in particular, we have similar personalities so from the very outset, he helped me a lot in forming my own image of Do Hyunsoo, who lives the life of Baek Heeseong. He’s so great at reacting. I’d been really looking forward to working with him before the shoot began. It turned out, the chemistry between us was even better than I’d expected, so we ended up creating these ‘bromance’ scenes although we didn’t mean to. Hahaha.

Every bit part of the narrative centering on Hyunsoo derives from his relationships with the other characters. That’s why I focused on how to depict those things [relationships] to set my character apart.

𝐻𝑜𝓌 𝒹𝒾𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝓅𝓅𝓇𝑜𝒶𝒸𝒽 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝓇𝑜𝓁𝑒 𝒟𝑜 𝐻𝓎𝓊𝓃 𝒮𝑜𝑜 (𝐵𝒶𝑒𝓀 𝐻𝑒𝑒 𝒮𝑒𝑜𝓃𝑔), 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓌𝒶𝓈 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒻𝒾𝓇𝓈𝓉 𝒾𝓂𝓅𝓇𝑒𝓈𝓈𝒾𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝒽𝒾𝓂?

I actually worried a lot about the scenes where I practice facial expressions in front of the mirror because there are similar scenes in the film ‘Joker.’ So I decided to approach it differently, and it occurred to me, ‘What if I make it look like an AI preparing for the day with a certain purpose in mind?’ It would make the character look a bit creepy as well. But at the same time, I wanted viewers to notice the innocence in this AI that wants to understand human emotions. So a lot of preparation went into those scenes.

Spoiler

My first impression of Do Hyunsoo was that I felt sorry for him. He had an unfortunate upbringing, grew up without getting any love, and suffered mentally from his relationship with his father. Ultimately, what he needed was love. But everyone around him was prejudiced in the way they treated him and those circumstances made Hyunsoo want to escape reality. In the end, Hyunsoo abandoned everything and ran away to protect his sister, the only person who treated him with love. But again, he’s betrayed and hurt by people. To Hyunsoo, living as Baek Heeseong was probably the sweetest offer he’d ever received; the hope that he could live a new life like a human being. After that, he meets Cha Jiwon and, for the first time in his life, he has his own people he wants to protect. Every step of his journey captured my imagination. As an actor, I was so inspired by the thrills coming from all the emotional details Do Hyunsoo feels and the different relationships he has. On top of that, I had so much fun thinking about the tightrope of this new life Do Hyunsoo is walking and my own interpretations of the different situations that could arise from it. Of course, it was pretty stressful, though. Hahaha.

𝒲𝒶𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝓎𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓌𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽𝑒𝒹 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝒾𝓃𝓈𝓅𝒾𝓇𝒶𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 𝒾𝓃 𝓅𝓇𝑒𝓅𝒶𝓇𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝓉𝓌𝑜-𝒻𝒶𝒸𝑒𝒹 𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓇𝒶𝒸𝓉𝑒𝓇? 𝒲𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒹𝒾𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒹𝑜 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝑒𝓉 𝒟𝑜 𝐻𝓎𝓊𝓃𝓈𝑜𝑜 𝒶𝓅𝒶𝓇𝓉 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃𝓁𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓇𝒶𝒸𝓉𝑒𝓇𝓈?

I did watch films like Joker and No Country for Old Men for inspiration in order to portray this emotionless character. But in the end, the situations Do Hyunsoo is in are very different from those the others are in. Hyunsoo may be lacking empathy, but he’s innocent at heart. Early into the drama, I kind of based Heeseong’s expressionless face when he talks to others on some of the expressions I watched in No Country for Old Men. However, those are vastly different situations and emotions, so I just focused on the emotions I actually felt on set.

Spoiler

From the very beginning, Do Hyunsoo had to look mysterious, hiding those inner thorns in him. So I talked a lot with the director and discussed with Seo Hyunwoo the kinds of reactions that would make Hyunsoo look colder. But seeing viewers feel sympathy for Hyunsoo way earlier than I’d expected, I wondered if I should have made the character look even harsher. Hahaha. Sure, Hyunsoo lacks emotional empathy, but he’s innocent at heart, which sets him apart from the other emotionless characters.

Another thing that sets Do Hyunsoo apart from other emotionless characters is the fact that he has Jiwon and Eunha. This is how I approached it: He’s been living a lackluster life. Then he meets Jiwon, she gives him endless love, Eunha is born, and he starts learning new emotions without even realizing it.

Hyunsoo’s brain has already started to change so it can feel those things. Yet he needed this strong stimulus – a fear that he might lose someone so precious to him – to recognize the change in himself. That Hyunsoo is such a multifaceted character truly sets him apart. So I factored into my performance the specific moments at which he feels emotions and the fine details of the situations he’s in. All of those things came together making Hyunsoo an even more multifaceted character.

𝒜𝓃𝓎 𝒹𝒾𝒻𝒻𝒾𝒸𝓊𝓁𝓉𝓎 𝒻𝒾𝓁𝓂𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝒶𝓃𝒹𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓃𝑒𝓈, 𝓈𝓊𝒸𝒽 𝒶𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝓅𝒶𝓇𝓉𝓂𝑒𝓃𝓉 𝒷𝒶𝓁𝒸𝑜𝓃𝓎 𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓃𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒻𝒾𝓈𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓈𝓅𝑜𝓉 𝓉𝑜𝓇𝓉𝓊𝓇𝑒 𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓃𝑒?

As many of you know, I enjoy working out regularly, so I didn’t find anything particularly physically demanding. I didn’t feel tired or exhausted. Instead, I was a lot more concerned about how much movement I had to make, or how much action I had to take, to help viewers relate to certain emotions and feelings coming from certain scenes.

Actually, before I got started on this project, I made up my mind to cut down action scenes (fights), which I love doing, to about one tenth of what I normally do. To do the kinds of action scenes I normally do, a lot of work goes into matching movements. So they are very eye-catching and tough. But for this project, I figured such action scenes would not be helpful. This time, I focused more on emotions than action.

As for the scenes where I get brutally pushed around, I didn’t use a stunt double, but actually knocked and threw myself around to make them more relatable to viewers.

𝐻𝑜𝓌 𝒹𝒾𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓅𝓇𝑒𝓅𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃𝒶𝓁 𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓃𝑒𝓈, 𝑒𝓈𝓅𝑒𝒸𝒾𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓎 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝑒𝓇𝓂𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓊𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝑒𝓎𝑒𝓈 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝓋𝑜𝒾𝒸𝑒? 𝐻𝑜𝓌 𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓅𝓎 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓇𝑒𝓈𝓊𝓁𝓉? 𝒜𝓃𝓎 𝓇𝑒𝑔𝓇𝑒𝓉𝓈?

This is the first project ever where I did not monitor each and every one of the shots I filmed. I knew so well what my strengths were, but I thought it [monitoring] might distract me from creating details for my character. So this time, I decided to let go a little, shared ideas and rehearsed with the others, and focused on what I had in each given situation. Above all, the director made sure everything was in balance, so I just left it all to the director to give me directions, while concentrating solely on building my own character.

Spoiler

In terms of using my eyes and tone of voice, I tried to not go overboard but keep it toned down. I guess that helped viewers focus more on little details. I think I received positive feedback on my performance, because of the hard work put in by the director, who helped polish things up, the cinematographer, and all the other staff members. I think everyone worked hard and contributed towards this. Thank you very much for the appreciation.

Working on this drama, I wanted to make beautiful and poignant melodramatic scenes. So Chaewon, the director, and I had a lot of talk. The only thing I probably regret a little is that we ended up focusing more heavily on deep, desperate melodramatic scenes than we’d expected. I wanted to show you more different sides of me. Of course, though, I got to act out such a rich variety of emotions and enjoyed the creative process working with so many fellow actors on this drama, so I have no regrets.

𝒯𝒽𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽𝓉𝓈 𝑜𝓃 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒸𝑜-𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓇𝓈: 𝑀𝑜𝑜𝓃 𝒞𝒽𝒶𝑒𝓌𝑜𝓃, 𝒮𝑒𝑜 𝐻𝓎𝓊𝓃𝓌𝑜𝑜, 𝒥𝒶𝓃𝑔 𝐻𝑒𝑒𝒿𝒾𝓃, 𝒦𝒾𝓂 𝒥𝒾𝒽𝓊𝓃, 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒥𝓊𝓃𝑔 𝒮𝑒𝑜𝓎𝑒𝑜𝓃.

As for Moon Chaewon, we actually had seen each other a few times even before we were offered Flower of Evil. We’d talk about what projects we’d been considering and what was going on in our lives. When I had so much trouble making my decision on Flower of Evil, Chaewon made me feel confident by saying, ‘You are more than capable enough to make this character attractive.’ On set, as an actor, Chaewon is very detail-oriented and focused. She does a lot of thinking until she feels she can interpret any given emotion. That’s why when we put our scenes together, I was so inspired by her and got a lot of help from her in creating emotions. Without Cha Jiwon, Do Hyunsoo’s emotions would not have felt so desperate. She’s the kind of actor who excels at drawing people further into the drama. It must have been so tough for her expressing those emotions Cha Jiwon feels in the drama. She worked so hard. I think I should buy her something delicious so she can get her energy back up. Hahaha.

𝐻𝑜𝓌 𝒹𝒾𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒷𝑒𝓃𝑒𝒻𝒾𝓉 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝒶𝑔𝒶𝒾𝓃? 𝒲𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓌𝒶𝓈 𝒹𝒾𝒻𝒻𝑒𝓇𝑒𝓃𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒?

The big difference is that this time, we did a melodrama together. Moon Chaewon’s melodrama is different from any other. It’s lovely, poignant, and sometimes so heartbreaking it makes you feel so sad. That’s why as an actor I had always wanted to do a melodrama with Chaewon because I wanted to see what we could create together. Thankfully, we were finally able to make a melodrama together through this project.

Spoiler

But I wonder if in real life, it would be possible for any couple to have a marriage like Hyunsoo and Jiwon’s. If this is a real-life story about a couple overcoming whatever comes between them to protect their love despite such a brutal past, then I think it’d be so sad and painful.

I wish we could have shot more scenes of more ordinary and happier everyday moments, like the ones where we were dating. Because the drama was a little too heavy on the desperate melodrama. Haha. But I’m so satisfied with the melodramatic scenes we created together. I think we had great chemistry, complementing each other’s performance.

As for Seo Hyunwoo, I had already heard that he is such a committed and passionate actor. Even before we got started, the people around me kept telling me I should stay on my toes. So I remember looking forward to meeting him for the first time, half excited, half worried. But in person, he’s so kind, hard-working, and above all, has his own principles as an actor. He’s also similar to me in that we both enjoy being on set. So we constantly shared ideas and created our scenes in many different ways. I am particularly grateful for the help he gave me early in the drama in my creation of this character Do Hyunsoo. We became such good friends that we would keep saying let’s work together again on other projects. I love him even more because he can handle as much alcohol as I can.

This was my second time working with Jang Heejin. She hasn’t changed at all; she’s always cheerful and energetic. Also, she’s very considerate of the people around her. As an actor, she’s great at both conveying deep emotions and staying focused. So when I heard she’d been cast in the drama, I personally felt so relieved, thinking, ‘There we go.’ On set, she is just as playful as I am, having fun with me. But when she acts, she instantly gets into character, acting out new emotional details. Every time I saw her like that, I was so impressed by the skills this actor Jang Heejin possessed that I would call her ‘Pro Jang’ (*pro = professional). She’s a great friend and co-star who made being on set even more fun.

I’ve known Kim Jihun for seven to eight years. But this was my first time acting alongside him, so I was so looking forward to it. We nearly worked together once on another project. This time, we finally got to work together and we both found it amazing, saying, ‘We were meant to work together.’ It was probably very difficult for him working on this drama. He played the villain who made his first appearance at the midpoint, ramping up the tension that’d been built up to that point in the drama. He had to wait for a long time to start filming his parts. But once his character was revealed, I thought ‘Wow, he really has been waiting for this moment the whole time.’ He’s such a great inspiration. He has a great personality and enjoys being on set, so we really had lots of fun together. We even have similar approaches to analyzing scenes and working them out. We once spent almost an hour just discussing ideas on the phone and my voice got hoarse after that. Haha. Personally, I think he gave a really wonderful performance, so I hope he finds an even greater project where he shines brighter. To me, he’s such a great co-star and a great bro. I am truly grateful to him for doing his best working with me.

As for Eunha, I’m tearing up just thinking about her. In fact, I cried all night before my last day of filming with Eunha. I guess I immersed myself so deeply in this role throughout. From the moment I met Seoyeon (Eunha), I never really stayed away from her on set because I wanted to help her relax and get close to her. So during the filming week when I couldn’t see her as often, I even felt depressed. I guess I got really attached to her. Seoyeon is such a kind-hearted child who’s like a snowflake (that looks like a flower). She once said she’d tear up just thinking about me (Dad). I felt so grateful, proud, and deeply touched. She is a very dedicated actor, so she would get really disappointed when she couldn’t give the performance she’d prepared until the day before. As viewers have seen, she really delivered a stellar performance, so I can’t wait to see what the future holds in store for her. In the future, she will shine even brighter in even greater projects. Daddy will keep cheering you on from afar. I just want to say thank you so so much for being my beautiful daughter.

𝒪𝓃 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝒾𝓇𝑒𝒸𝓉𝑜𝓇

Director Kim Chulgyu is the person I am most thankful to on this project. He had complete faith in me and always set milestones in my long journey of portraying Do Hyunsoo who lives as Baek Heeseong. He always came to the set with a plan for how to put scenes together in his head, which he put lots of thought into. It helped me a lot with how I performed on set. Without any doubt I could rely on him and focus on my own work.

I think all these hard-working and great staff members came together to work with him because he’s such a gentle and warm person. I think we owe him a lot for bringing the drama to a successful conclusion. So I am truly grateful to him. I’d love to work with him again on other projects if he offers to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Thanks for the drama suggestions @Darkarcana @bluepebbles @chibipuffin !!

Shamelessly going through LJG's filmography and I've watched:

SHR

Scholar Who Walks the Night

Arang and the Magistrate 

(finished the 3 above with some FFing lol)

Two Weeks (this was better than I'd expected)

The King and the Clown (some parts were hard to watch but I get it now why it's a 'legendary' film in S.Korea)

Started Lawless Lawyer and liking it so far!

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

@chibipuffin there are a few of my JG's pictorial faves but this one for now: his radiant smile will definitely cheer you up 

Lee Joon Gi Talks About His Upcoming Drama “Flower Of Evil” And Chemistry  With Co-Star Moon Chae Won | Soompi

Lee Joon Gi’s Arena Homme  November 2020 Issue Interview - Eng translation.-A genre called Lee Joon Gi.It’s stupid to separate Lee Joon Gi the actor from Lee Joon Gi the human being, when he identifies himself with his work.A genre called Lee...

Lee Joon Gi’s Arena Homme+ November 2020 Issue Interview - Eng translation.

-

Huge thanks to Chris once again for translating this interview . 

A genre called Lee Joon Gi.

“I guess it’s stupid to separate Lee Joon Gi the actor from Lee Joon Gi the human being, especially for someone like you who identifies himself with his work, right?” Lee Joon Gi answers, “Yes,” as if I asked the obvious question. “Lee Joon Gi as a human being alone is bored and lonely.” We met an actor who loves his job as an actor so much, and who knows how to play a brilliant orchestral piece with his staff.

-

-

Q. There’s something peculiar about your eyes. You hear that a lot, don’t you?

JG - Yes. In the past, I thought of them (my eyes) as a drawback. When I started out, people preferred big eyes with double eyelids. Small, slanted eyes like mine weren’t popular. I think I might have contributed to the popularity of monolids. Hahaha.

Q. Do you like your eyes?

JG - I do. I love how I get to control them delicately. The uniqueness of my eyes can make my performance over-the-top or emotionally monotonous. That’s why I have to be more delicate. When I handle this uniqueness delicately and use it for a more multilayered performance, it can be more effective than any other means of expression.

Q. I asked my junior, a fan of yours, what makes actor Lee Joon Gi so attractive, and she said, “He acts with everything he has on his face – facial expressions, muscles, wrinkles. I thought about it and she was right.

JG – Hahaha. Those who watch my work repeatedly post video clips of those small things they found in my performance. But it wasn’t something I did deliberately. It’s not like, I am going to twitch my right eyebrow twice, or I’m going to move the crease under my left cheek just a little. I can’t make things like that happen. They’re all made possible thanks to the help of the director, production staff, and my co-stars, who help me get immersed into an emotion that I feel at a given moment. Those kind of facial expressions can only come out when I’m fully immersed in my role.

Q. Is it out of courtesy that you give credit to others, or you are just that type of person?

JG – There are some actors who focus solely on their own characters. For me, though, I get energy from turning the workplace into a playground. Having a heart-to-heart, offering and sharing different ideas with others is important to me. It’s like, when I find myself headed in the wrong direction, I can turn to others to find the right direction. I start a day by approaching someone first when they find it hard to approach me, lifting their spirits, and greeting everyone cheerfully. Because only that way can I really enjoy the day.

Q. You said hi and were so friendly to everyone, even the staff you’d never met before when you walked into the studio.

JG – Some people love it, but some feel bothered. I often get told, ‘Please sit still.’ Hahaha. Like I’m some beagle or something, I run around after camera crew or lighting crew. When I play around like that, the staff usually find out what part of this actor (Joongi) they want to capture on camera that day. At the end of the day, I should take initiative and be proactive first to make everyone more productive. To me, having that kind of attitude is most important.

Q. You’re right on point, but it’s so rare to see actors put getting along with others first. Why do you do that?

JG – You cannot give a perfect performance in every project you do. You always end up with some regrets. Your work may be loved by people, or it may not. But I think at least those who work with me and stay closer to me than I’m to my own family for over half a year – they should find it fun and rewarding to work with me. I really love being on set. I hope everyone who works with me takes home great memories from working on the project with me.  

Q. You care so much for your fans. It’s rare to see an actor holding fan meets like concert tours.

JG – I enjoy performing in front of my fans. I sing and dance, but of course I can’t be as good as a pro musician. It just makes me feel happy planning, preparing, staging a show for my fans, and getting a positive response from them. Now I can’t hold fan meets because of COVID-19, so I recently started doing Instagram lives. (The latest one) I went on for about two hours. I was actually stopped by my little sister, who sat next to me and kept saying, please stop. Had she not stopped me, I would have gone on all night.

Q. I think you just have it in you. You would have made a successful idol.

JG – I feel empty after finishing a project. I’m back to ‘0’ once I leave that space where I had so much fun daily working with people towards one shared goal, and once I say goodbye to them. That’s why when I meet my fans before I start a new project, I feel like ‘I am alive.’ It’s not like I want to show off my dancing or singing skills. Hahaha.

Q. Why do you love people so much?

JG – I love people and I need people. All my life I always mingle with people around me and those moments of mingling make me who I am. I guess you can call these ‘links.’ These links guide me, awaken me, and stimulate me. In private, I talk a lot with people. At first we talk about what’s going on in our lives, then end up having some debates. After I have a drink with them, I always get a hoarse voice the next day. I much prefer reading people to books. I love seeing how people have different thoughts and lives.  

Q. What kind of person are you curious about?

JG – Everyone. Everyone’s life is special and new. Lives can be similar, but there is no such thing as identical lives. There must be lives that I have never imagined. The place where I can most quickly read and hear people’s thoughts is the set. I learn a lot just by observing those people. It also provides a good ingredient for my acting work.

Q. You get lonely easily, don’t you?

JG – That’s right. I did the MBTI test the other day. Mine was an INFP and no one believed it. Haha. That’s why I try to communicate a lot. I get rid of my loneliness by interacting with my fans and people around me.

Q. Lee Joon Gi was an exceptionally shy child… Were you?

JG – Hahaha. I don’t have the faintest idea who took the photo! I don’t even know why my father stood his child up on his hands. After that photo became a meme, I asked my father about it, and he said, I would stand right up when he had me standing on his hands. That photo predicted the future of Gong-gil, the tightrope walking clown in King and the Clown. I wasn’t a very hard-working student, hung out with only a small set of friends, and was a quiet and introverted kid at both home and school. In high school, I joined the broadcasting club and would read passages from books. I felt like conveying something with my voice filled the inside of me. Then, in my third (senior) year of high school, I watched this play Hamlet and made up my mind to become an actor. At 20, I moved to Seoul from Busan. I became more extroverted making a living as an actor. It was fate and it was a blessing.

Q. You often do wild genre pictures or action packed historical dramas. Do those projects come to you, or do you actually pursue them?

JG – I get a lot of offers [in those genres]. I get told I’m an actor best suited for those genre pictures and historical dramas. I also end up choosing such projects when I search for something that I find interesting. On top of that, I want to do more action performances while I’m physically capable. It’s so fun using my own body.

Q. Why do directors want you to play a character who has a sad backstory, overcomes hardships, goes through an awakening, and grows stronger? What kind of duality do they see in you?

JG – It’s been like that since King and the Clown. Directors want to bring out some feelings at extremes in me. Director Kim Chul Gyu, of Flower of Evil, told me he was curious about the duality in me, and director Lee Joon Ik (King and the Clown) told me ‘I feel ‘sorrow’ when I see you.’ I guess that’s why I was able to beat out 3,000 others [in my audition for the role of Gong-gil]. Come to think of it, I think I have this look of extremes. People tell me that when I laugh or lift up people’s spirits, I look like the happiest person, but sometimes I look like I am carrying all the weight (worries) of the world. When those things overlap, something comes out that is unique to me. I’m grateful to hear all that. When someone asks me ‘What kind of actor do you want to be?’ I answer, ‘An actor that always keeps people curious.’ Because it means people wonder what lies beneath [my] face of duality.

Q. When you work on similar genre pictures, what effort do you make to show a different side of you?

JG – People I work with on set are my first viewers. I should trust them and keep all the possibilities I have wide open. I cannot find solutions on my own. I leave everything up to those who know about the set I’m on, the story and the character in the project I work on. Then I gradually start to grasp [their meanings] little by little. That’s how I work. In the end, it’s Lee Joon Gi who does the acting, so my performance inevitably shows what makes me ‘Lee Joon Gi.’ That’s why I try not to miss a single thing the director and the staff say. Once I miss it, I will end up just repeating the same kind of performance.

Q. Have you ever experienced mannerisms (*Koreans use ‘mannerism’ to indicate old habits that make you feel you’re stuck in a rut)

JG – I think every actor is afraid to become a parody of themselves. This was when I reunited with director Kim Jin-min for Lawless Lawyer, whom I had worked with on Time between Dog and Wolf. Since the previous drama was a huge success, I worried what if I could not surpass ‘Lee Joon Gi’ back then? I was afraid I might not be able to enjoy this job any more. I remember meeting one of my co-stars Choi Min Soo. He was working on some craft in his studio, with eyeglasses on. He said, “Oh you’re here. Have a seat.” Then he said, “You look like you’re stranded in a desert.” As if he’d seen right through me. He told me about what he’d been like when he was my age. Later on, he told me, “Keep up the good work. You’re doing a great job. You’re becoming more and more like a wolf.” What he told me gave me confidence.

Q. Can Lee Joon Gi, as he is now, ever outdo Lee Joon Gi as he was in the past? It’s really a tough question to ask yourself.

JG – If you are just doing the very basics of your job while your creative sensibility has gone numb, then you are seriously in trouble. Of course, I’ve lived as an actor long enough, so I can do basic expressions easily, but I should not act like a mere technician. Am I as fiercely committed as I was before? I think it’s the kind of problem facing everyone – not just actors. Don’t you ask yourself the same kind of question when you do your job? No matter what kind of job we do, we all should always keep trying hard to make ourselves new.

Q. You’re such a skilled action performer as well. Why do you try not to use stunt doubles?

JG – Action performance is acting as well. It’s not just about fist fights. You have to keep the continuity of emotions between scenes in mind. When you’re asked, ‘Why do you need an action scene here?’ or ‘Why does this person fight so desperately?’ You should be able to answer it. When you do your own stunts, the camera never stays away from you. When you do, you don’t need a full (wide) shot of you, or a shot of you from behind, or fragmentary shots of you. But of course, it’s up to you. For me, I do my own stunts because I love taekwondo, jiu jitsu, muay thai, and boxing and I love using my body. You shouldn’t get too greedy and do more than you can handle.

Q. I hear you have a lot of ‘scars of honor’ on your body

JG – My legs are full of small scars. I get fractures, tears, bruises all the time. But doing action is always fun and thrilling. While there are exhilarating action performances, like knocking people out with a single blow, coming from actors with a bulked-up physique like Ma Dong Seok, I am the type of actor who should come up with different kinds of movements, sharp and precisely-controlled, which help me get out of a situation I’m in. That’s why I have to constantly match movements with my co-stars. I work with my martial arts director to do that.

Q. Maybe you’ll become Korea’s Tom Cruise someday.

JG – I really admire him as an actor. He’s 58, yet he still does all those amazing stunts himself. Recently, he went to the space station to film his movie. He’s such an admirable person no matter what genre he works in.

Q. You look so excited talking like that. How satisfied are you with your job?

JG – 100%.

Q. How can you love your job so much?

JG – You take ‘Actor Lee Joon Gi’ away from me, Lee Joon Gi the human being is just so dull. It may sound like a cliché, but when I play a character in a new project, I get to live a different, new life. Also, it’s an indescribable feeling having this sense of achievement, thrills, and sense of fulfilment I feel when I realize I am making a contribution to a project, right in the heart of it, with everyone running towards one shared goal.

Q. You really are so hard-working.

JG – Because it’s so fun.

Q. You do all this because it’s just fun?

JG – I wouldn’t work as hard if I didn’t think it’s fun. You can’t enjoy it if you think of it as just work. I work hard at having fun.

Q. What does acting mean to Lee Joon Gi?

JG – At first, I thought I had to read a lot of books and study a lot. Starting with the Stanislavski method, I learned about monologues and various other techniques as I studied acting. I failed so many times I was almost ashamed of myself, and I did a lot of physical and emotional training as well. But I realized that acting is not about standing up there alone and hypnotizing other people, but about having everyone come together and play in harmony like an orchestra. To me, acting is like an orchestra.

Q. I’m curious. If a person is so attached to their job like you, they have their own desires so they easily find themselves clashing with others in their collaborative process. What’s your secret to achieving harmony, even though you have such enthusiasm for and pride in your craft?  

JG – This is something actors talk about a lot when having a drink together. Hahaha. Every actor has their own style. Some actors stick with method acting, bringing this energy as if to say, ‘I will get rid of whatever that gets in the way of my performance.’ At first, I also learned acting like that, but through experience, I realized that this is about a ‘community’s work’ and you need to create harmony in that process. Sometimes, I also want to do things my way and get angry, but that should not break the balance. There’s always something I can learn from people who have different thoughts. It’s about having a diverse group of people coming together and creating. I also have this sense of responsibility as an actor in creating harmony.

Q. Éric Rohmer (French filmmaker) once said cinema is the ‘art of rejection’ because when you make a movie, you have to choose only one take (for one scene). Suppose that actor Lee Joon Gi has this one type of performance in mind, but the director instructs you to do it differently. What would you do?

JG – You get so many takes and so many shots (cuts) on set. Some of them get tossed out, some get a new life, and some get switched up and re-arranged in a different order. When I have something I definitely want to try, I make a suggestion. I go up to the director and say, ‘I would like to film this in case we need spare shots. You don’t have to use it, but isn’t it better for us to have as many sources as possible?’ Or I’ll go to the cinematographer and say, ‘What if we have one more of this? Wouldn’t it be much more interesting?’ Or I will go to my co-star and ask, ‘If we film this from a different angle, it will probably show our emotions more effectively. What do you think? Is it okay with you? Okay!’ Then I will try those things. Of course, those takes will probably get tossed out. But it’s different when you actually try those before you toss them out. When one of such takes makes it [in the final edit] later on, nothing feels more thrilling and rewarding.

Q. You’re a master of negotiation.

JG – It’s more like badgering. Sometimes the director would say, ‘We’re finished with it. What do you mean, you want to film more?’ Hahaha.

Q. Still, it takes a skill to pull that off without annoying them.

JG – If there is anything I want to give another try, then I should be more humble and ask for their understanding. And I am still in that position to do that.

Q. Still? It’s been 18 years since your debut, though?

JG – I still have a long way to go. I have so much to do. As I get older, I will have more diverse roles to play, and I will face a time when I start to move down. When I do move to a position where I have to support [other actors], I will have to think hard how to do a good job at it. Because I want to live as an actor for a long, long time.

Q. Are there any directors you want to work with in the future?

JG –  I was at this awards ceremony, accepting an award and standing in front of the mic. I saw so many directors and actors sitting right before me. Those are the people I will meet in the future. If I continue to work hard in this job, without causing any trouble, then I might get to work with any of them at least once. It would be an honor if they work with me and perform alongside me. There isn’t any specific person I prefer. It’s about creating new things together. [I don’t have anyone particular in mind] As long as our work together is a new challenge to both of us.

Q. What if you reunite with Lee Joon Ik, who directed King and the Clown?

JG – The director told me this: ‘Why work together again? How can I possibly make a better character out of you than Gong-gil? You’re doing a good enough job already. Let’s meet again when you get older.’ When I get older and reunite with director Lee Joon Ik, I also wonder what kind of story we’ll create together. Wonder what it’s going to be like if we meet as the director – who saw potential in me as an emerging actor and helped this actor get etched in the public mind – and me as an older, middle-aged actor. That’s why I have so much to do from now on.

Q. I hear you enjoy drinking alone at home after pouring all your passion on set and getting back from work?

JG – In my 20s, I used to prefer hard liquor, but I prefer beer now. That simple refreshing and cool feeling. It’s perfect when I want to feel a sense of achievement after finishing my day’s work. I get to reflect on the day past, or read the script for the next filming day.

Q. What beer do you drink?

JG – As you expected, Cass Light. Because I gain weight if I drink beer every day!

-

-

(editor’s note at the back)

I still vividly remember when I first watched movie King and the Clown 15 years ago. When all the women in Korea made multiple trips to the theatre and chanted Lee Joon Gi’s ‘Gong-gil,’ as if they were collectively hallucinating, and burst into tears the moment they heard Lee Sun Hee’s ‘Fate,’ I was one of them. Since then, Lee Joon Gi has soldiered on with his career by playing bold and strong characters in such works as Time between Dog and Wolf and Iljimae, which contrast with Gong-gil, as if he wanted to prove himself that way. Recently, in tough genre pictures like Lawless Lawyer and Flower of Evil, he’s thrown himself into his action performances and poured his heart and soul into his roles, creating a new genre called Lee Joon Gi. This hard-working actor demonstrated professionalism on set for the magazine photoshoot as well. Of course, photographer LESS’s brilliant work, stylist Park Sun Yong’s bold styling, and wild hairstyling and makeup also contributed to the photoshoot. Lee delivered even more amazing facial expressions and poses the more praise he heard on set. Some photos were so gorgeous they sent chills down our spines. We had a hard time choosing the best one, but here is a photo of him leaning slightly to the side and looking like Count Dracula about to turn into a bat.

End.

Spoiler

• Heart Eyes 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

On 10/25/2020 at 12:47 AM, bluepebbles said:

@chibipuffin there are a few of my JG's pictorial faves but this one for now: his radiant smile will definitely cheer you up 

Spoiler

Lee Joon Gi’s Arena Homme+ November 2020 Issue Interview - Eng translation.

-

Huge thanks to Chris once again for translating this interview . 

A genre called Lee Joon Gi.

“I guess it’s stupid to separate Lee Joon Gi the actor from Lee Joon Gi the human being, especially for someone like you who identifies himself with his work, right?” Lee Joon Gi answers, “Yes,” as if I asked the obvious question. “Lee Joon Gi as a human being alone is bored and lonely.” We met an actor who loves his job as an actor so much, and who knows how to play a brilliant orchestral piece with his staff.

-

-

Q. There’s something peculiar about your eyes. You hear that a lot, don’t you?

JG - Yes. In the past, I thought of them (my eyes) as a drawback. When I started out, people preferred big eyes with double eyelids. Small, slanted eyes like mine weren’t popular. I think I might have contributed to the popularity of monolids. Hahaha.

Q. Do you like your eyes?

JG - I do. I love how I get to control them delicately. The uniqueness of my eyes can make my performance over-the-top or emotionally monotonous. That’s why I have to be more delicate. When I handle this uniqueness delicately and use it for a more multilayered performance, it can be more effective than any other means of expression.

Q. I asked my junior, a fan of yours, what makes actor Lee Joon Gi so attractive, and she said, “He acts with everything he has on his face – facial expressions, muscles, wrinkles. I thought about it and she was right.

JG – Hahaha. Those who watch my work repeatedly post video clips of those small things they found in my performance. But it wasn’t something I did deliberately. It’s not like, I am going to twitch my right eyebrow twice, or I’m going to move the crease under my left cheek just a little. I can’t make things like that happen. They’re all made possible thanks to the help of the director, production staff, and my co-stars, who help me get immersed into an emotion that I feel at a given moment. Those kind of facial expressions can only come out when I’m fully immersed in my role.

Q. Is it out of courtesy that you give credit to others, or you are just that type of person?

JG – There are some actors who focus solely on their own characters. For me, though, I get energy from turning the workplace into a playground. Having a heart-to-heart, offering and sharing different ideas with others is important to me. It’s like, when I find myself headed in the wrong direction, I can turn to others to find the right direction. I start a day by approaching someone first when they find it hard to approach me, lifting their spirits, and greeting everyone cheerfully. Because only that way can I really enjoy the day.

Q. You said hi and were so friendly to everyone, even the staff you’d never met before when you walked into the studio.

JG – Some people love it, but some feel bothered. I often get told, ‘Please sit still.’ Hahaha. Like I’m some beagle or something, I run around after camera crew or lighting crew. When I play around like that, the staff usually find out what part of this actor (Joongi) they want to capture on camera that day. At the end of the day, I should take initiative and be proactive first to make everyone more productive. To me, having that kind of attitude is most important.

Q. You’re right on point, but it’s so rare to see actors put getting along with others first. Why do you do that?

JG – You cannot give a perfect performance in every project you do. You always end up with some regrets. Your work may be loved by people, or it may not. But I think at least those who work with me and stay closer to me than I’m to my own family for over half a year – they should find it fun and rewarding to work with me. I really love being on set. I hope everyone who works with me takes home great memories from working on the project with me.  

Q. You care so much for your fans. It’s rare to see an actor holding fan meets like concert tours.

JG – I enjoy performing in front of my fans. I sing and dance, but of course I can’t be as good as a pro musician. It just makes me feel happy planning, preparing, staging a show for my fans, and getting a positive response from them. Now I can’t hold fan meets because of COVID-19, so I recently started doing Instagram lives. (The latest one) I went on for about two hours. I was actually stopped by my little sister, who sat next to me and kept saying, please stop. Had she not stopped me, I would have gone on all night.

Q. I think you just have it in you. You would have made a successful idol.

JG – I feel empty after finishing a project. I’m back to ‘0’ once I leave that space where I had so much fun daily working with people towards one shared goal, and once I say goodbye to them. That’s why when I meet my fans before I start a new project, I feel like ‘I am alive.’ It’s not like I want to show off my dancing or singing skills. Hahaha.

Q. Why do you love people so much?

JG – I love people and I need people. All my life I always mingle with people around me and those moments of mingling make me who I am. I guess you can call these ‘links.’ These links guide me, awaken me, and stimulate me. In private, I talk a lot with people. At first we talk about what’s going on in our lives, then end up having some debates. After I have a drink with them, I always get a hoarse voice the next day. I much prefer reading people to books. I love seeing how people have different thoughts and lives.  

Q. What kind of person are you curious about?

JG – Everyone. Everyone’s life is special and new. Lives can be similar, but there is no such thing as identical lives. There must be lives that I have never imagined. The place where I can most quickly read and hear people’s thoughts is the set. I learn a lot just by observing those people. It also provides a good ingredient for my acting work.

Q. You get lonely easily, don’t you?

JG – That’s right. I did the MBTI test the other day. Mine was an INFP and no one believed it. Haha. That’s why I try to communicate a lot. I get rid of my loneliness by interacting with my fans and people around me.

Q. Lee Joon Gi was an exceptionally shy child… Were you?

JG – Hahaha. I don’t have the faintest idea who took the photo! I don’t even know why my father stood his child up on his hands. After that photo became a meme, I asked my father about it, and he said, I would stand right up when he had me standing on his hands. That photo predicted the future of Gong-gil, the tightrope walking clown in King and the Clown. I wasn’t a very hard-working student, hung out with only a small set of friends, and was a quiet and introverted kid at both home and school. In high school, I joined the broadcasting club and would read passages from books. I felt like conveying something with my voice filled the inside of me. Then, in my third (senior) year of high school, I watched this play Hamlet and made up my mind to become an actor. At 20, I moved to Seoul from Busan. I became more extroverted making a living as an actor. It was fate and it was a blessing.

Q. You often do wild genre pictures or action packed historical dramas. Do those projects come to you, or do you actually pursue them?

JG – I get a lot of offers [in those genres]. I get told I’m an actor best suited for those genre pictures and historical dramas. I also end up choosing such projects when I search for something that I find interesting. On top of that, I want to do more action performances while I’m physically capable. It’s so fun using my own body.

Q. Why do directors want you to play a character who has a sad backstory, overcomes hardships, goes through an awakening, and grows stronger? What kind of duality do they see in you?

JG – It’s been like that since King and the Clown. Directors want to bring out some feelings at extremes in me. Director Kim Chul Gyu, of Flower of Evil, told me he was curious about the duality in me, and director Lee Joon Ik (King and the Clown) told me ‘I feel ‘sorrow’ when I see you.’ I guess that’s why I was able to beat out 3,000 others [in my audition for the role of Gong-gil]. Come to think of it, I think I have this look of extremes. People tell me that when I laugh or lift up people’s spirits, I look like the happiest person, but sometimes I look like I am carrying all the weight (worries) of the world. When those things overlap, something comes out that is unique to me. I’m grateful to hear all that. When someone asks me ‘What kind of actor do you want to be?’ I answer, ‘An actor that always keeps people curious.’ Because it means people wonder what lies beneath [my] face of duality.

Q. When you work on similar genre pictures, what effort do you make to show a different side of you?

JG – People I work with on set are my first viewers. I should trust them and keep all the possibilities I have wide open. I cannot find solutions on my own. I leave everything up to those who know about the set I’m on, the story and the character in the project I work on. Then I gradually start to grasp [their meanings] little by little. That’s how I work. In the end, it’s Lee Joon Gi who does the acting, so my performance inevitably shows what makes me ‘Lee Joon Gi.’ That’s why I try not to miss a single thing the director and the staff say. Once I miss it, I will end up just repeating the same kind of performance.

Q. Have you ever experienced mannerisms (*Koreans use ‘mannerism’ to indicate old habits that make you feel you’re stuck in a rut)

JG – I think every actor is afraid to become a parody of themselves. This was when I reunited with director Kim Jin-min for Lawless Lawyer, whom I had worked with on Time between Dog and Wolf. Since the previous drama was a huge success, I worried what if I could not surpass ‘Lee Joon Gi’ back then? I was afraid I might not be able to enjoy this job any more. I remember meeting one of my co-stars Choi Min Soo. He was working on some craft in his studio, with eyeglasses on. He said, “Oh you’re here. Have a seat.” Then he said, “You look like you’re stranded in a desert.” As if he’d seen right through me. He told me about what he’d been like when he was my age. Later on, he told me, “Keep up the good work. You’re doing a great job. You’re becoming more and more like a wolf.” What he told me gave me confidence.

Q. Can Lee Joon Gi, as he is now, ever outdo Lee Joon Gi as he was in the past? It’s really a tough question to ask yourself.

JG – If you are just doing the very basics of your job while your creative sensibility has gone numb, then you are seriously in trouble. Of course, I’ve lived as an actor long enough, so I can do basic expressions easily, but I should not act like a mere technician. Am I as fiercely committed as I was before? I think it’s the kind of problem facing everyone – not just actors. Don’t you ask yourself the same kind of question when you do your job? No matter what kind of job we do, we all should always keep trying hard to make ourselves new.

Q. You’re such a skilled action performer as well. Why do you try not to use stunt doubles?

JG – Action performance is acting as well. It’s not just about fist fights. You have to keep the continuity of emotions between scenes in mind. When you’re asked, ‘Why do you need an action scene here?’ or ‘Why does this person fight so desperately?’ You should be able to answer it. When you do your own stunts, the camera never stays away from you. When you do, you don’t need a full (wide) shot of you, or a shot of you from behind, or fragmentary shots of you. But of course, it’s up to you. For me, I do my own stunts because I love taekwondo, jiu jitsu, muay thai, and boxing and I love using my body. You shouldn’t get too greedy and do more than you can handle.

Q. I hear you have a lot of ‘scars of honor’ on your body

JG – My legs are full of small scars. I get fractures, tears, bruises all the time. But doing action is always fun and thrilling. While there are exhilarating action performances, like knocking people out with a single blow, coming from actors with a bulked-up physique like Ma Dong Seok, I am the type of actor who should come up with different kinds of movements, sharp and precisely-controlled, which help me get out of a situation I’m in. That’s why I have to constantly match movements with my co-stars. I work with my martial arts director to do that.

Q. Maybe you’ll become Korea’s Tom Cruise someday.

JG – I really admire him as an actor. He’s 58, yet he still does all those amazing stunts himself. Recently, he went to the space station to film his movie. He’s such an admirable person no matter what genre he works in.

Q. You look so excited talking like that. How satisfied are you with your job?

JG – 100%.

Q. How can you love your job so much?

JG – You take ‘Actor Lee Joon Gi’ away from me, Lee Joon Gi the human being is just so dull. It may sound like a cliché, but when I play a character in a new project, I get to live a different, new life. Also, it’s an indescribable feeling having this sense of achievement, thrills, and sense of fulfilment I feel when I realize I am making a contribution to a project, right in the heart of it, with everyone running towards one shared goal.

Q. You really are so hard-working.

JG – Because it’s so fun.

Q. You do all this because it’s just fun?

JG – I wouldn’t work as hard if I didn’t think it’s fun. You can’t enjoy it if you think of it as just work. I work hard at having fun.

Q. What does acting mean to Lee Joon Gi?

JG – At first, I thought I had to read a lot of books and study a lot. Starting with the Stanislavski method, I learned about monologues and various other techniques as I studied acting. I failed so many times I was almost ashamed of myself, and I did a lot of physical and emotional training as well. But I realized that acting is not about standing up there alone and hypnotizing other people, but about having everyone come together and play in harmony like an orchestra. To me, acting is like an orchestra.

Q. I’m curious. If a person is so attached to their job like you, they have their own desires so they easily find themselves clashing with others in their collaborative process. What’s your secret to achieving harmony, even though you have such enthusiasm for and pride in your craft?  

JG – This is something actors talk about a lot when having a drink together. Hahaha. Every actor has their own style. Some actors stick with method acting, bringing this energy as if to say, ‘I will get rid of whatever that gets in the way of my performance.’ At first, I also learned acting like that, but through experience, I realized that this is about a ‘community’s work’ and you need to create harmony in that process. Sometimes, I also want to do things my way and get angry, but that should not break the balance. There’s always something I can learn from people who have different thoughts. It’s about having a diverse group of people coming together and creating. I also have this sense of responsibility as an actor in creating harmony.

Q. Éric Rohmer (French filmmaker) once said cinema is the ‘art of rejection’ because when you make a movie, you have to choose only one take (for one scene). Suppose that actor Lee Joon Gi has this one type of performance in mind, but the director instructs you to do it differently. What would you do?

JG – You get so many takes and so many shots (cuts) on set. Some of them get tossed out, some get a new life, and some get switched up and re-arranged in a different order. When I have something I definitely want to try, I make a suggestion. I go up to the director and say, ‘I would like to film this in case we need spare shots. You don’t have to use it, but isn’t it better for us to have as many sources as possible?’ Or I’ll go to the cinematographer and say, ‘What if we have one more of this? Wouldn’t it be much more interesting?’ Or I will go to my co-star and ask, ‘If we film this from a different angle, it will probably show our emotions more effectively. What do you think? Is it okay with you? Okay!’ Then I will try those things. Of course, those takes will probably get tossed out. But it’s different when you actually try those before you toss them out. When one of such takes makes it [in the final edit] later on, nothing feels more thrilling and rewarding.

Q. You’re a master of negotiation.

JG – It’s more like badgering. Sometimes the director would say, ‘We’re finished with it. What do you mean, you want to film more?’ Hahaha.

Q. Still, it takes a skill to pull that off without annoying them.

JG – If there is anything I want to give another try, then I should be more humble and ask for their understanding. And I am still in that position to do that.

Q. Still? It’s been 18 years since your debut, though?

JG – I still have a long way to go. I have so much to do. As I get older, I will have more diverse roles to play, and I will face a time when I start to move down. When I do move to a position where I have to support [other actors], I will have to think hard how to do a good job at it. Because I want to live as an actor for a long, long time.

Q. Are there any directors you want to work with in the future?

JG –  I was at this awards ceremony, accepting an award and standing in front of the mic. I saw so many directors and actors sitting right before me. Those are the people I will meet in the future. If I continue to work hard in this job, without causing any trouble, then I might get to work with any of them at least once. It would be an honor if they work with me and perform alongside me. There isn’t any specific person I prefer. It’s about creating new things together. [I don’t have anyone particular in mind] As long as our work together is a new challenge to both of us.

Q. What if you reunite with Lee Joon Ik, who directed King and the Clown?

JG – The director told me this: ‘Why work together again? How can I possibly make a better character out of you than Gong-gil? You’re doing a good enough job already. Let’s meet again when you get older.’ When I get older and reunite with director Lee Joon Ik, I also wonder what kind of story we’ll create together. Wonder what it’s going to be like if we meet as the director – who saw potential in me as an emerging actor and helped this actor get etched in the public mind – and me as an older, middle-aged actor. That’s why I have so much to do from now on.

Q. I hear you enjoy drinking alone at home after pouring all your passion on set and getting back from work?

JG – In my 20s, I used to prefer hard liquor, but I prefer beer now. That simple refreshing and cool feeling. It’s perfect when I want to feel a sense of achievement after finishing my day’s work. I get to reflect on the day past, or read the script for the next filming day.

Q. What beer do you drink?

JG – As you expected, Cass Light. Because I gain weight if I drink beer every day!

-

-

(editor’s note at the back)

I still vividly remember when I first watched movie King and the Clown 15 years ago. When all the women in Korea made multiple trips to the theatre and chanted Lee Joon Gi’s ‘Gong-gil,’ as if they were collectively hallucinating, and burst into tears the moment they heard Lee Sun Hee’s ‘Fate,’ I was one of them. Since then, Lee Joon Gi has soldiered on with his career by playing bold and strong characters in such works as Time between Dog and Wolf and Iljimae, which contrast with Gong-gil, as if he wanted to prove himself that way. Recently, in tough genre pictures like Lawless Lawyer and Flower of Evil, he’s thrown himself into his action performances and poured his heart and soul into his roles, creating a new genre called Lee Joon Gi. This hard-working actor demonstrated professionalism on set for the magazine photoshoot as well. Of course, photographer LESS’s brilliant work, stylist Park Sun Yong’s bold styling, and wild hairstyling and makeup also contributed to the photoshoot. Lee delivered even more amazing facial expressions and poses the more praise he heard on set. Some photos were so gorgeous they sent chills down our spines. We had a hard time choosing the best one, but here is a photo of him leaning slightly to the side and looking like Count Dracula about to turn into a bat.

End.

Reveal hidden contents

I ordered the Arena magazine. Can't wait to see those pictures!

I ordered the Arena magazine. Can't wait to see those pictures!

Day 17: if someone said LJG, first thing it makes you think of - either his face or his acting. For me, he's one of the top actors that has both good looks and skills.

Day 18: when is JG taking the most painstaking care? - probably the way he built relationship with his fellow actors, especially the children.

Day 19: A time when you dreamed of JG: I dreamed about voting for him in chaedol app :nervous:

• Like 1

spacer.png[SBS Star] Lee Joon Gi Shares How His Personality Changed After Becoming an Actor

Actor Lee Joon Gi shared how his personality changed after kicking off his acting career.

On October 22, fashion magazine ARENA shared Lee Joon Gi's recent interview.

During the interview, Lee Joon Gi mentioned that he is 100 percent satisfied with the path that he had chosen to walk on.

Lee Joon Gi said, "I believe acting is like an orchestra, because not only actors/actresses, but also the production crew all have to harmonize well together."

He added with a smile, "I love what I do for a living. It's really satisfying."

Then, Lee Joon Gi said he now does not have the same personality as himself before made his debut.

Lee Joon Gi said, "I actually used to be very quiet. I was an introverted person. After I became actor though, I became much outgoing and extroverted."

He continued, "I love people. Nowadays, I feel lonely and bored if I don't act or take time to communicate with fans."

He went on, "The reason why I talk to my staff and fans a lot is to get rid of the feeling of loneliness."

Following his debut with a commercial in 2001, Lee Joon Gi featured in a great number of hit dramas and films including 'The King and the Clown' (2005), 'Time Between Dog and Wolf' (2007), 'Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo' (2016), 'Flower of Evil' (2020) and more. 

(Credit= ARENA)

(SBS Star)

• Like 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

2009 March GQ Magazine Interview 

junki_intergq_kjp

“What’s boiling~”

Lee Jun Ki said that he has changed. How can anyone be changed like that, but as we look upon what he’s been through, he’s definitely not the same. He once confessed that he didn’t know how to handle his sudden stardom back then. No one in their 20’s can live the passion as much as Lee Jun Ki does in his life. A hot blood actor has many things to achieve and wants to be at his best all the time, that’s why he always boils up, ready to erupt.

Q: What did you see out of the window today?

Ans: I saw only walls, and I also have blinders up. Even when I want to look out and take a peep around, I cannot do so. Being in a 4th-floor privacy, no matter how you look at it, it’s like being in prison without bars.

Q: I don’t know why, but I think it suits you somehow.

Ans: I just want to be alone. Like if I feel like watching movies, playing games, surfing the internet, searching for data, and working out and stuff, I’d be able to do so.

Q: I though you would be busy.

Ans: Let’s see, if I cross out the 3-hour sleeping time, what have I. I used to sleep a lot, but when I have things to do, I ended up having insomnia. I always run after times, and crave for more times, things like that. Reading gossips, searching Naver and stuff. Being an actor is no difference from a life study. Looking at the surroundings and people’s lives, this kind of life is alright for me.

Q: I don’t really get how it would be alright. But I heard that an Aries would be good at adjusting one self.

Ans: True. I’m an Aries. Originally, I’m the type of person who doesn’t talk much and is not so friendly. Moreover, I used to look down on people lower than me. I was that style, but I have changed a lot.

Q: But people don’t change…

Ans: I know that, too. How can anyone change? But I did nonetheless. I became famous all of the sudden, People look up to me in a certain way. So, I tried to change who I was. It’s good for me both as an actor Lee Jun Ki and as a human being Lee Jun Ki.

Q: The popularity from the King and the Clown was so overwhelming. Why did you choose to get rid of that in the following production?

Ans: Even when they’re not trying, young actors absorb their characters and people look at them that way. If you let that go, then it’ll become a minus. Even though it’s hard, I like killing my character identities, and making the new characters over and over again. So, the audience could see the efforts, I don’t know if they do, but…

Q: You’re being hot on screen in the most part. Last year’s Iljimae, too, we can see the efforts you put in.

Ans: That’s why I get angry a lot. I want to be admired as an actor, so I don’t want to rest at all. It’s not only me; the staffs had to work hard, too. That killed me. I was the one who being praised. I used to hate the compliment “being smart/bright” a lot. I get applause because I’m an actor.

Q: “Hot” actor, “hot” acting, it’s always like that. Is there any inelegant moment?

Ans: I still have little experience in acting. It’s not right to say that the audience indicates how well I act. But I receive their response, too. I’m greedy as a young actor. I want to use my energy while I can. I want all my managers to be as convenient as possible. Trendy or mellow dramas are more profitable and able to attract the female fans, but a guy in his 30’s would be more appropriate in that role, isn’t he? As I look into the mirror, I don’t think I have such quality. After going to the army, then I would want to be in some mellow drama.

Q: What do you think about F4 drama?

Ans: The managers want me to do a drama like that. But I don’t want to. I prefer a role that I enjoy, the role that I cannot miss out.

Q: Very rigid of you to say that. Not only your acting ability, but also when you receive an award, you always give a powerful speech. It seems like you give a speech based on the award you receive.

Ans: Yes, I am like that.

Q: This kind of feeling is like the people in demo. I don’t like this, I’m like that. Is it?

Ans: Right. Hahaha. I want to be proper and accurate. Like… what should I act in each circumstance, I care about those stuff. Be playful during a play time. That’s why I did “Yongi Abeoji” in SBS Awards.

Q: During such performance, it’s like you want to show to the audience that you can do it.

Ans: Yes. Hahaha.

Q: As you grow, what have you accomplished?

Ans: I gradually become shameless. I have to. Being an actor means you have to be able to act. If you don’t act, then what would you be doing?

Q: There are some actors who can act (be fake) in real life better than in the roles they play.

Ans: That’s why I have to hold a fan meeting, so that I can open up to the fans, and so that they can understand me.

Q: Being 28?

Ans: Yes. I’m 28 (Korean age) years old. I think being at my age is a charm. I can be nonsense. Because I am an actor, that’s a burden. I used to go to the shooting scene, work and come back. Now, I’m just being myself, I also swear.

Q: When were you most peaceful?

Ans: When I gained weight

Q: Lee Jun Ki gained weight, too?

Ans: I gained weight easily. Right now, too, I gained 2 kg. I’m practicing singing; I see Hyun Jin Young-shi and think that if I gain weight, my voice would become better. So, to be able to sing, I gained weight. Anyway, it’s my resting time (no drama) it’s normal to gain some weight. But my voice isn’t getting better, only the weight I gained. I think I have to lose weight faster.

Q: Losing and gaining weight must have been a stress. What do you worry these days?

Ans: Not long ago, I had some worries, but it’s ok now. I want to stock up both successful career and fortune. So, I…

Q: Pile up successful career and money, how nice?

Ans: Yes, it is nice. If not nice, I’d be retired then. But I have to make myself not falling for it. Previously the problem with my agency was like that. No one noticed it, but it had been a rough year for the whole year for me. It had been a few months that I couldn't even laugh. All the hardship I had, finally it came from things I had done.

Q: If not actor, how can we imagine Lee Jun Ki?

Ans: Right now, you can’t. Even I’m an actor, I also want to be perceived as an artist. There are many things I want to do. So, I’m worried a bit.

Q: No time for love, then?

Ans: Even though I have to experience some romance, but works hold that down. It’s always with manager, manager, and manager. We’d all be sitting at the bar, drinking and talking about works. It’s like the guys thing.

Q: That’s tiresome.

Ans: It happens to be that way.

Q: What do you expect from a woman?

Ans: Well, love is a relaxation. As each other’s “other half”, I like a girl that can tolerate me. I don’t know, we’ll see.

Q: What can a woman expect from you?

Ans: Ummm… Financial status?

Q: Besides that, do you have anything to add?

Ans: Financial status hahaha. Is it alright?

Q: No. Let’s just wrap up. What kind of man are you?

Ans: Well, what kind of man am I? Previously, I used to be rough and easy going, now I don’t really know.

Q: Will you let us know if you’re in love?

Ans: Sure.

source

• Like 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor