Season 2, episode 1-2

The first two episodes are jam-packed with actions. Lots of new characters, but we also see return of certain S1 characters and Monsters. The ahjumma who became an embryo made a cameo. Park Yu Ri (Go Youn Jung) who died along with Pyeon Sang Wook (Lee Jin Wook) also made an appearance. Eun Yoo (Go Min Si) went back to Green Home Apartment to find Eun Hyuk (Lee Do Hyun), but she only found his glasses and the piece of paper where he noted down who has become a monster. We see a cocoon up on the ceiling, but no confirmation if it was him. Obviously, fans couldn't wait, and now I can confirm that cocoon is indeed our beloved Eun Hyuk. Yay! :Party01:

Episode 1 was a bit difficult to watch because it showed the soldier, Kim Yeong Hu (Kim Moo Chul), brutally stabbed a Monster Baby to contain the Monster Mother. They then burnt the mother alive in front of the baby. Tak In Hwan (Yu Oh Seong), whom I thought might be a villain (because this actor tends to play villain) showed mercy to the baby and let he/she go. That baby is going to come back with a vengeance, for sure. Just like any living things in nature, if the mother sense danger, she would attack to protect her child. And this was the case. The humans were pulling apart her nest.

Park Chan Young (Jin Young) is a soldier who rescued the Green Home's residents. Because Eun Yoo wanted to go back to Green Home, so he was the driver. On their way to the "Safe Camp", that annoying actor wannabe finally became an ugly monster and was killed. I'm sure we all remember how annoying he is since S1, so good riddance.

Hyun Soo (Song Kang) was temporarily kidnapped by Jeong Ui Myeong, but only to return to the facility anyway. I find that whole part a waste of time. And not sure why, because Yu Ri appeared in Ui Myeong's mind and caused a car accident where his legs become disabled, he also temporarily lost his parasitic ability to abandon a body and move to another. On the other hand, Hyun Soo officially became a test subject. He seems to exhibit other form of ability when he was pitched against a Monster. Seo Yi Kyung (Lee Si Young) is also inside the facility, disguised as a soldier, looking for her husband. Oh Jung Se plays a crazy scientist, Dr. Lim.

Episode 2 showed us some scenes that were already filmed during S1, but not shown. We have a scene where Eun Hyuk passing the baton to Yoon Ji Su (Park Gyu Young) for he can no longer lead the Green Home residents. Indirectly hinted he's becoming a monster. So yes, Lee Do Hyun made an appearance. Damn Show was so good at keeping it secretive!

With the success of S1, and taking so long to air S2, I had hoped the CG quality for the monsters would improve, but a little disappointed that the CG is still not impressive and as refined as I had hoped. The monsters still look fake.

P.S. Song Kang showed his butt in episode 2, not 1. Lee Jin Wook failed to share that he, too, showed his butt. LOL!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Eun Yoo (Go Min Si) went back to Green Home Apartment to find Eun Hyuk (Lee Do Hyun), but she only found his glasses and the piece of paper where he noted down who has become a monster

I am up to this part , and man it hurts. Then seeing Go Min Si cry for her oppa, I was like they should be in a romance drama. But of course they were in one , the angsty Youth Of May and now I want them in another romance where I don't have to cry my eyes out :nervous:. It is always so tragic with these two. But on a positive note, I am happy that EunHyuk will come back in S3 since he's my favorite character here.

Don't know if you feel it, but Song Kang's acting here is better than in My Demon. Perhaps the role here allows him to show loneliness, anguish etc but there's more depth. I don't feel as strongly for his character in My Demon though I suppose it's still early day for My Demon. Anyway back to his character here, despite being a monster or neohuman, HyunSoo's humanity is evident. Where else, Lee Jin Wook's character seems to have his worst side brought to the fore now that he's a monster. 

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I have to say, this season is so different to the last. I swear S1 should have been 13 episodes, because there were some time jump and the stage change and a new chapter began at the 4th episode.

I honestly did not expect the whole lab rat thing to fall apart so soon. And Park Gyu Young just die like that? Ehhh. Or she became a monster too? Plus, was there ever a vaccine? I don't think there is. It was just an evolution where new humans are taking over the original. Those that can control the inner monster gets to retain a human form, and those that can't will take on the monster form.

Yi Kyung was pregnant, and all of a sudden, her stomach grew in minutes and she gave birth to a monster. I've yet to find out whether she raise it or not. I'm banking on she does.

A lot of the monster attack scenes happened so quick that we need a rewatch. I totally missed the bit where the little girl died. I know the vain guy was attacking her and maybe threw her around, but didn't expect her to die just like that. And then there's Eun Yoo being attacked by various monsters. It was so chaotic that I couldn't see who threw the monster away from her! It almost was like some invisible force propelled it away. All the monsters appeared later (at the petrol station for instance), I couldn't even see them clearly. 🙄

9 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Don't know if you feel it, but Song Kang's acting here is better than in My Demon. Perhaps the role here allows him to show loneliness, anguish etc but there's more depth.

I think it is just different roles and interpretation of the characters. Demon is light and fun for me now, and hadn't explored the backstory of Gu Won. Sweet Home is serious and we are in S2.

• Like 1

Okay... I should avoid spoilers because I've only seen two episodes. 

The first couple of episodes aren't too bad. A bit on the slow side but tolerable. Lee Jin-uk really showed his acting chops in these two episodes. Song Kang looks more bulky than what I remember.

Well, it's always been part of Sweet Home's DNA to show the best and worst of humanity. It poses the question -- What does it mean to be human? -- and then allegorizes the heck out of the scenario to sledgehammer home the point that some humans are just monsters or worst than monsters. 

I'm interested in what the mad scientist (Oh Jung-sae) does with Song Kang or what the show does with the character in the long run. He seems to be able to read the memories of other monsters or cause them to remember. Is remembering enough for anyone to regain their humanity? I wonder. 

Big Mouth finally turned. It was only a matter of time. The irony of him turning into a big deafening mouth is not lost on any of us. He was one of the more unlikeable types. He was always pretty selfish and he obviously learnt nothing. The survivors from Green Home returning back seemed like a bit tantrum throwing by Eun-yu. It potentially put everyone in jeopardy. Maybe she's right. Maybe she's not. But she doesn't have the luxury of acting at a whim. 

So far it's okay although there are moments that require suspension of disbelief. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Maybe we need S3 to see a bigger picture of how all characters and side-stories tie together, but for now, I strongly feel the people who live in the stadium are insignificant. In S1, the backstory of the Green Home's residents had better coverage and are relatable. The new "residents" are just whiny and annoying or uninteresting. I'm also questioning the significance of Wang Ho Sang and Hani (the male & female wanderers) in the whole storyline. So I'd say episode 5-6 were difficult episodes to churn through, and felt like a filler, and I cannot believe we went on without a sight of Hyun Soo (who is supposedly the main lead), Seo Yi Kyung or Pyeon Sang Wook!

As I expected, the invisible monster that was protecting Eun Yoo was Hyun Soo, not Eun Hyuk. Just when I celebrated he has a gorgeous haircut in S1 and earlier episodes of S2, he needs another haircut again. However, I didn't expect Hyun Soo being the one who raised Yi Kyung's daughter, Ah Yi. I would not have mind watching more scenes of the two before all hell break loose. I understand Yi Kyung's pain, but this daughter of hers is quite heartless. The show ended as if Hyun Soo had killed Yi Kyung to relieve her from her pain, but I think she isn't dead.

When Hyun Soo transformed last season, I thought the next season we would see him fully transformed into having two wings, but that is still not the case. However, we now see a different Hyun Soo with green eyes (the monster came out). I cried when Eun Yoo saw Hyun Soo face-to-face and said she's glad he's holding on well. 😭 If the circumstance allowed, I so want them to stay together. Eun Yoo, Eun Hyuk and Hyun Soo, forming a new family — human and monster. Every time Hyun Soo cries, I feel so sorry for him.

And now the twist!

In S1, we learnt that Nam Sang Woon is Seo Yi Kyung's fiancé. In S2, he was the comatose MH-1 whom Dr. Lim (Oh Jung Se) tortured and experimented on. He suffered so much that his monster self detached from his body and took over Jeong Ui Myeong (Kim Sung Cheol) in Season 1. So now he's in Pyeon Sang Wook's body, which makes him Yi Kyung's fiancé and Ah Yi's father. However, he did nothing to help Yi Kyung when she collapsed in pain. He obviously saw her pregnant stomach too. I can't remember whether he showed Yi Kyung mercy in S1 now.

That said, Eun Hyuk spent one whole year in a cocoon or is that a flashback?! And, what's that other monster cocoon in the research facility?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Insightful 2
18 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I strongly feel the people who live in the stadium are insignificant.

I have practically put aside all other dramas ( 3 of them :psweatduck:) just to binge this and even then I am only up to episode 4.  I don't really care much about the stadium people. A lot of sketchy people and no one getting my sympathy.  There are a lot of new faces this season from both the army and normal people, and up to episode 4 there's not much screen time of the original gang with the exception of EunSoo  in search of EunHyuk. I think this is the arc I am most interested in. Though that mysterious young girl/ monster who seems to have supernatural powers

Among all the new faces, the one that does seem like a good addition is JinYoung's character. For me the reason is because he represents the absolute goodness that is still left in humanity. He was a former baseball player and then joined the army , right? I just hope Chief Ji's daughter doesn't get her hands on him. Spoilt brat entitled girls always annoy me the most.

I forgot that YiKyung was already pregnant till I read what you said. So the reason she gave birth to a monster was because her fiance was already a monster when he impregnated her? I was so confused when she suddenly had exponential tummy growth and went into labour. LOL

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

30 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I forgot that YiKyung was already pregnant till I read what you said. So the reason she gave birth to a monster was because her fiance was already a monster when he impregnated her? I was so confused when she suddenly had exponential tummy growth and went into labour.

I'm not sure how all this works. It was never explained. Yi Kyung thinks she passed her desire to Ah Yi. And I doubt the transformation is genetic. Ah Yi has completely different ability to her father. Not sure after Yi Kyung transformed, what abilities she has.

Hyun Soo has a new ability in this season, which Ah Yi also has. When they make contact with the person/monster, they can feel/see their thoughts. Ah Yi's power is transforming human to a monster, which makes her very dangerous and a huge threat to mankind. She's probably what Oh Jung Se covet, because he seems to want to be monsterized. Ah Yi also can suddenly sprout in growth. Wait till you see the latter episode. Not sure if that means she'll also die quicker, hahaha!

• Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/2/2023 at 6:42 PM, mademoiselle said:

So now he's in Pyeon Sang Wook's body, which makes him Yi Kyung's fiancé and Ah Yi's father. However, he did nothing to help Yi Kyung when she collapsed in pain. He obviously saw her pregnant stomach too. I can't remember whether he showed Yi Kyung mercy in S1 now

For the longest time , I was wondering where is Lee Jin Wook. He barely appeared this season. It is a good thing you explained this here because I was confused as heck about how it all linked. 

Very interesting new abilities and it does seem that the humans, or more like that scientist man has  found a way to monsterize normal people and control/ use them ( as per the last episode) . This would go against the original premise where people turned because of their desires isn't it? So would this mean there's evolution ? Also as noted by the soldiers when they went to on their outings that the monsters seem to know how to target their prey unlike before where I think it was just them reacting or being attracted to things. 

Reading comments that this season is not as good as the first and I think it is perhaps because we don't see much of the original gang. (Though among them all, Go Min Si had the most screen time.) I think there were so many characters introduced that we could barely feel anything for any of them and the drama sort of lost its focus. But I am still up for S3 especially now with EunHyuk back in the picture. 

@ktcjdrama I think you can wait for S3 to be air which is in Summer 2024. 

• Like 3

@abs-oluteM Yeah, from episode 4-6, I was thinking where are Hyun Soo, Yi Kyung and villain Pyeon Sang Wook.

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

It is a good thing you explained this here because I was confused as heck about how it all linked. 

Glad to help clear your confusion. I had my suspicion since episode 2 when he crawled to MH-1's chamber. I thought the man look like Kim Sung Cheol without hair, but then when I think about it again, he can't be Kim Sung Cheol. I do like this twist, except now it made me want to go back and check if there were any signs of him being soft to Yi Kyung in S1. Perhaps @UnniSara can shed some light, because you rewatched it again.

Very interesting new abilities and it does seem that the humans, or more like that scientist man has found a way to monsterize normal people and control/ use them (as per the last episode). This would go against the original premise where people turned because of their desires isn't it?

Dr. Lim couldn't make humans into monsters. He was studying them, and envying them being one. Geeks can be weird sometimes. But if he gets his hands on Ah Yi, then yes, you can say he basically got his wish. I think both Sang Wook and him are dangerous. 

Also as noted by the soldiers when they went to on their outings that the monsters seem to know how to target their prey unlike before where I think it was just them reacting or being attracted to things. 

I think this might have something to do with Pyeon Sang Wook, especially the people in the research facility. He's recruiting them all against humans. He's been talking about that since S1. That's why he's another dangerous ones, because he can use Ah Yi to make more monsters.

So would this mean there's evolution?

I think evolution had already begun since S1, but it's not perfect, so natural selection kicks in. But Ah Yi turning humans into monster would be artificial, and it seems like not all humans will successfully turn into one because that man she touched exploded instead.

Reading comments that this season is not as good as the first and I think it is perhaps because we don't see much of the original gang. (Though among them all, Go Min Si had the most screen time.) I think there were so many characters introduced that we could barely feel anything for any of them and the drama sort of lost its focus. But I am still up for S3 especially now with EunHyuk back in the picture. 

Yeah, I also agree S2 is a huge disappointment. Not only about the new characters, but I don't get why the CGI is still so bad. Season 1 was quite well-received, although not as big as Squid Game, but if they decided to invest in 2 more seasons, at least make sure the CGI is better! I couldn't get some friends to watch S1 because they complained the CG was bad. S2 looks even worse. *CRIES*.

That said, I need Eun Hyuk, so of course I will watch S3. Plus, we have monster Hyun Soo surfacing, so this is also something I look forward to. They should be done filming S3 too because Song Kang is going to the military and Sweet Home is his last project (aired). Weird that he's a year older than Do Hyun, but Do Hyun went first...?!

• Insightful 2
5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Dr. Lim couldn't make humans into monsters. He was studying them, and envying them being one. Geeks can be weird sometimes. But if he gets his hands on Ah Yi, then yes, you can say he basically got his wish. I think both Sang Wook and him are dangerous.

What about that man that Kim MooYul (the army sergeant) met at the hospital when they went to look for the soldier that went AWOL ? Is he a scientist? Wasn't he the one locking everyone up in the wards and experimenting on them as well? 

5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I think evolution had already begun since S1, but it's not perfect, so natural selection kicks in. But Ah Yi turning humans into monster would be artificial, and it seems like not all humans will successfully turn into one because that man she touched exploded instead.

Perhaps Ah Yi has not full realised her potential. I wonder if she will grow some more. 

I know the CGI isn't the best but I think the lack of focus in the plot bothered me even more :psweatduck:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

What about that man that Kim MooYul (the army sergeant) met at the hospital when they went to look for the soldier that went AWOL ? Is he a scientist? Wasn't he the one locking everyone up in the wards and experimenting on them as well? 

I think he's just a gate-keeper kind of person, trying to lure more humans in with that girl. The Big Boss is Pyeon Sang Wook, don't you think? Pyeon Sang Wook aka Yi Kyung's husband is a scientist himself, so he could be the one experimenting on humans.

17 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Perhaps Ah Yi has not full realised her potential. I wonder if she will grow some more.

I know the CGI isn't the best but I think the lack of focus in the plot bothered me even more 

If Ah Yi grows some more then they need to cast another actress. True, if the CGI is still not the best, but the story was as good as S1, I wouldn't complain.

• Insightful 2

@mademoiselle The local viewers had a lot of not so good things to say about S2.I don't agree with all (I lol-ed when they talk about too many nude scenes of Song Kang and Lee JinWook)  So the PD did an interview to answer some concerns. 

Source: https://news.jtbc.co.kr/article/article.aspx?news_id=NB12155087

I put in spoiler

Spoiler

First, regarding the pointless departure of existing characters and the criticism that too much time is spent explaining new characters. A character who was much loved in Season 1 died early on without saying a few words, and countless new characters appeared. Because of this, it was assessed that viewers' immersion was low.

In response, Director Lee Eung-bok said, "I think their sacrifice is beautiful. I think that our country is protected and we can consume this content without any worries because of the efforts of those who devoted themselves during the pandemic. A tribute to them, Korean values. "I wanted to emphasize this. I wanted to create a righteous group that would not take off their military uniform even when the world was ruined. The step from the apocalypse to an authentic creature is the section from the end of Season 2 to Season 3," he said. "(New characters in Season 2 “I thought about how to consume it in a fun and emotional way. I loved it passionately,” he said.

The theme that runs through season 2 of ‘Sweet Home’ is maternal love. There are scenes where even monsters act with maternal love. In particular, Lee Si-young's character was used to express maternal love, but some are pointing out that the asexuality code was used repetitively and excessively.

Director Lee, who said, “I tried to take maternal love as the basics,” said, “I thought it was all different maternal love. What is family in the basic human-to-human relationship? I hoped it would be interpreted in a different way. Rather than simply maternal love, I wanted it to have a non-overlapping meaning. “I think there is,” he explained.

Song Kang and Lee Jin-wook's characters especially appear in a lot of nudity scenes. Some point out whether the exposure was absolutely necessary.

Director Lee Eung-bok said, "(The nudity scene) was written into the script. Dr. Lim is testing the monster in a critical situation. We don't test it by dressing it up. There was a necessary part. I said, 'Let's talk about it,' and the actors willingly agreed. “I responded. I was moved to tears. We said we had to film safely and quickly, so we hurried on site and finished it in a short and bold manner,” he explained, adding, “In the apocalypse genre or creature films, there are necessary cuts rather than explicit scenes.”

Director Lee Eung-bok said that various meanings, settings, and questions were hidden within this work. He said he hopes viewers will discover hidden questions, interpret them in their own way, and share them with others. He said, “I don’t think I hid it too much,” and showed a self-deprecating laugh.

Director Lee said, "There are beautiful scenes like poetry here and there. I like to ask questions, and I have hidden a lot of those questions. If you find them, you will feel the fun. I don't think this text is just mine. Let's draw together. “Text,” he said. “There is something I did that borrowed from a mythological motif. It’s my own way to communicate with viewers. Wouldn’t it be a little more fun if you look at those things again? I think the value discovered later is also precious. If it’s discovered right away, “It’s good,” he said.

‘Sweet Home’ Season 2 continues with Season 3. Filming has already been completed.

Director Lee said, "Viewers' expectations have risen. I feel like I need to work harder. I need to collect various opinions. I didn't know there would be such a big response. As a director, I'm happy, and I'll work on Season 3 with a sense of responsibility." revealed.

@Chocolate I think better to wait till S3 is out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

@mademoiselle  @abs-oluteM  I will give a detailed explanation from my point of view after my finals. 

I  will be rewatching and binge watch Season 2 on Friday.

• Thanks 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 5:42 AM, mademoiselle said:

In S1, we learnt that Nam Sang Woon is Seo Yi Kyung's fiancé. In S2, he was the comatose MH-1 whom Dr. Lim (Oh Jung Se) tortured and experimented on. He suffered so much that his monster self detached from his body and took over Jeong Ui Myeong (Kim Sung Cheol) in Season 1. So now he's in Pyeon Sang Wook's body, which makes him Yi Kyung's fiancé and Ah Yi's father. However, he did nothing to help Yi Kyung when she collapsed in pain. He obviously saw her pregnant stomach too. I can't remember whether he showed Yi Kyung mercy in S1 now.

That said, Eun Hyuk spent one whole year in a cocoon or is that a flashback?! And, what's that other monster cocoon in the research facility?

Sang Wook I had to rewatch the scene carefully. It would seem  Nam San Woo doesn't love his fiance at all. This is so sad, he only have hate in his eyes. 

On 12/1/2023 at 6:21 AM, mademoiselle said:

Episode 1 was a bit difficult to watch because it showed the soldier, Kim Yeong Hu (Kim Moo Chul), brutally stabbed a Monster Baby to contain the Monster Mother. They then burnt the mother alive in front of the baby. Tak In Hwan (Yu Oh Seong), whom I thought might be a villain (because this actor tends to play villain) showed mercy to the baby and let he/she go. That baby is going to come back with a vengeance, for sure. Just like any living things in nature, if the mother sense danger, she would attack to protect her child. And this was the case. The humans were pulling apart her nest.

This scene was extremely sad @mademoiselle  I was glad to see the baby again. Baby is friends with Seo Yi Kyung's daughter Ah Yi.  Do you know if the baby monster is still alive, since the fire?  

Ah Yi this character does have empathy but her mom SYK was way too cruel/ Scared of her and the other humans hunting/hating her only made her start to hate humans. I think she has a crush on Cha Hyun Soo.  

Sang Wook is creating his army, by helping humans get in touch with their inner monster side, so he can survive.  It is sad that the government still do not understand what the monster truly is. 

Do you guys think Wook Pyeon is still alive? The other half of Sang Wook

Sang Wook was not the first patient. Yi Kyung's fiance was the second patient Dr Lim was obsessed with. 

On 12/3/2023 at 12:08 AM, abs-oluteM said:

I forgot that YiKyung was already pregnant till I read what you said. So the reason she gave birth to a monster was because her fiance was already a monster when he impregnated her? I was so confused when she suddenly had exponential tummy growth and went into labour. LOL

@abs-oluteM  I think her bab became a monster because both parents were tainted in my opinion. I don't think SYK's fiance would have infected her. He loved her and made sure she did not know about his work. He was a doctor after all. I think her infection went to her baby and dad's sperm may have

P.S I love this season, to be honest, the CGI doesn't bother me at all. The issue everyone was having is due to the fact Season 1 was mostly around the Green Apartment and had lots of mysteries that needed to be solved. 

Season 2 has to be about what happened to the rest of the survivors, it can not just be about one particular place since we have seen other side effects of the monsters.  They needed to explore how much changes will continue to happen

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House