The Uncanny Counter 경이로운 소문 [S1: 2020-2021] [S2: 2023]

Tofu

5 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@JenL @ktcjdrama ooo do you think they wear red to ward off evil spirits? Let me ask @stroppyse if there's any significance for the colour.

Hahahaha, I was literally just about to say this!! It's definitely a very Chinese concept - the colour red warding off evil spirits. I always think of Chinese New Year/ Lunar New Year where you're made to wear red for that exact reason. I was also going to ask @stroppyse if it was the same for Koreans! Great minds think alike I guess :laugh:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

I thought the same thing too re: "red" the first few watch. It attracts so much attention where they were supposed to be discreet. And then I thought spiderman, superman, etc all have flashy superheroes costumes so I just accept it as is. Haha. Worse come to worse they can remove memories so I guess it is a uniform colour. Hahaha.

@ktcjdrama LOL the permed hair is an indication of the spirit in their bodies. All of them have curly hairs.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

@mademoiselle what does it mean by internal circumstances? :shocked: ...

I think they don't want to air new episodes during Christmas week. I read it will be just re-runs. 

https://www.ytn.co.kr/_sn/0117_202012161803290557

On the 16th, an OCN official told YTN star, “A'wonderful rumor' will be aired normally on the 19th (Sat) and 20th (Sun) this week ( eps 7 & 8) , and episodes 9 and 10 will not be broadcast according to the internal circumstances of the broadcaster. It will be broadcast on January 2nd (Sat) and 3rd (Sun).”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4
  • Shocked 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

3 minutes ago, JenL said:

@abs-oluteM Well, I guess this gives me time to catch up on this series :heiboi: But internal circumstances....please don't say covid!!

That was my first thought too - COVID . I read that covid cases are on the rise again & that SK is facing its third wave. Anyway,  like you said it will be a good time to catch up on my other dramas . Watching too many :pandaheadstomp:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

12 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

That was my first thought too - COVID . I read that covid cases are on the rise again & that SK is facing its third wave. Anyway,  like you said it will be a good time to catch up on my other dramas . Watching too many

But Uncanny Counter is one drama I don't want them to cancel/postpone! :cry:

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

Episodes 3 & 4

-I have to say this drama is really ticking all the right boxes. 3 seems to be the magic number at the moment - I usually have no real feelings watching the first episode of a drama...but if I like it by episode 3 it's a winner. And this one, like DDSSLLS, has gotten me hooked by the third episode. I just really really like it. :BulbaOWO:

-I think I mentioned earlier that I don't like superhero films/ dramas. But I lied. I don't mind the genre, but I really hate cheesy superheroes like The Avengers. I need a certain element of darkness like Dark Knight to be able to enjoy the genre....I'm finding The Uncanny Counter is doing all the right things - I love that the characters have amazing abilities, but it doesn't mean they're necessarily going to win all the time or be stronger than everyone else by default. They still have to train hard and work together to be able to take down the bad guys :MewHi: 

-Also love how dark things can be despite the humour and all. I'm a sucker for the stories where the bad guys are reallllly bad. Pure evil. I feel like there's no purpose of a villain unless they're really despicable. That's how to end up investing hard into the good guy's stories and rooting for them because they look like the underdogs. And there are sooo many powerful bad people in this series that it's fun to watch...and I like the concept that although Evil spirits use people as hosts, those people are already weak and bad themselves. :HaunterOK: 

-Hahaha, I love love love the Sugar Daddy of the counters...he is totally the best. A bit like the rich Dumbledore of the group. :laugh:

-I would also agreed to be a counter if someone gave me an unlimited spending card and a thing to get rid of security camera footage! 

-I've been pretty disgusted with all the bad guys so far but the guy who tried to kill the other guy at the Mill and the young girl when all they wanted to do was give him a beef dinner....man, that was a new level of evil :pandarage2:

-SM is such a cute lead character...definitely a heart of gold! The way him and his friends look out for each other is so precious!

- Loving the pacing of this series and the cliffhangers which open up new leads in the mystery of the characters' pasts and SM's parents. :heart:

-That scene where Sugar Daddy JM comes in, protects SM and calls out everyone on their bad behaviour - bullies, bully parents, teachers and police was sooooo good. Damn, I wish everyone who was a victim had someone like this is real life to protect them. I really felt a sense of justice here...and he was just so spot on savage here, which I loved. :wow:

- Same goes for MO's speech against Wigen and the spirits. I was so touched for SM when she spoke up on his behalf and talked about their sacrifice as counters as well as made them promise that he could meet his parents. Still...I feel the meet his parents part sound ominous...like wouldn't be meet them anyway if he died?? :MonkaTang:

-For those who watched DDSSLLS: The guy that plays the mayor was also Jun's dad in DDSSLLS and he's been a jerk in both series, as well as a terrible father for the most part. Hahaha, I think he has a face that looks like it needs a good smack because it's sly and cunning :laugh: 

-Cliffhanger of SM answering his father's number is crazy too! Just loving all the twists! :GengarAww:

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

On 12/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, ktcjdrama said:

I am waiting to see if the permed hair has any meaning or not, or is that part of their “uniform” 😝

I haven't read the webtoons, but I thought that the curly hair was to indicate that the counters are so full of "ki" (energy, spirit) now that it was even curling their hair. I thought it was funny.

20 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@JenL @ktcjdrama ooo do you think they wear red to ward off evil spirits? Let me ask @stroppyse if there's any significance for the colour.

Good question. Yes, I also think that red is a warning to evil spirits.

3 hours ago, joccu__ said:

well the evil spirit actually could communicate with hana and so mun in so mun memories. that is new.! how he could do that! 

Yes, this part was also scary. I'm actually finding the person Shin to be pretty pitiful, and the demon Shin to be very scary.

I can't help but feel bad for the young boy Shin who loves his father despite getting so little in return, the child who cherishes the few memories of spending time with his follower and using the child's wallet that his father gave him. The implication seems to be that Shin was an unwanted child born out of wedlock by the father, and thus abused by him.

And, then the demon Shin who can emotionlessly carve a person up just because and who inhales human souls. I wonder if this means that when Shin is killed, the human souls will be released back to life?

• Like 6
  • Insightful 3

Episode 5 & 6

-I did it! I finally caught up :MewWave:

-Laughed so hard when HN said she doesn't think of rain and temples for comfort...but the sounds of crackling BBQ meat! :laugh:

-Damn that gold-digger and her evil spirit were so freaking scary! I guess it's the demonic voice and the psychotic laugh. I was dying and watching the mirror scene and the elevator fight through my fingers! The fight looked so painful especially when she took off her heels and started stabbing HN with it! :psweatduck:

-Speaking of HN, her past seems pretty painful too. Wonder why her family was dying - poison? Also the demon said her sister was almost dead....which means she's still around? :thinking:

-Hahahaha trying to get SM to summon the territory was priceless :laugh::laugh::laugh: It was like when kids play Dragonball Z and pretend to be Goku. What a fail .LOL

-I thought it was so sweet of SM to comfort HN with BBQ meat. That is truly the way to a girl's heart, SM :CharmanderYay:

-Ugh the corrupt cops are so infuriating in this series. I think the added layer of the boys clubs against 1 sole female detective and a trainee really make them all the more disgusting. But I'm loving the mystery at the heart of the series which is also unravelling the character's backstories. The murder of the girl KYN, the corruption with CEOs who use to be criminals and a mayor who is hiring hitmen ...Jungjin city is as dark as Sin City or Gotham :shocked:

-SM's friends are the best!! So caring and sweet and literally like mini parents to him. I love their dynamic :heart:

-Haha, MO telling everyone not to get involved in human affairs and not to tell her about it...but then asking 100 consecutive questions was hilarious

-I agree with everyone Shin is so pitiful, yet also really scary and loathsome as a demonic being at the same time. It's sad that the human version of him seems to have been neglected and abused by his 'father.' He seems a little lacking in his thinking capacities probably because his father never educated him and abandoned him. But he also does seem psychotic and chaotic :poliWeird:

-SM finding out about his parents were so heatbreaking :letalQQ: 

-Hahaha laughed so hard when HN told him to introduce her as anything but a girlfriend and it was the first word out of his mouth...and then his grandparents telling him to keep the door open and spying through the windows :laugh::laugh::laugh:

-The fact that Shin could see them both in the past was too scary. And that evil voice freaked me out. And I can't believe he ate the parent's souls. So sad, but also interesting twists and cliffhangers! Can't wait for when it comes back after the break :MonkaTang:

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with The Uncanny Counter, but I'm going to share it anyway. Haha! Their red tracksuit reminds me of the red tracksuit Hiyori Sarugaki wears in Bleach. Hiyori is a shinigami, which is actually used to describe a death god, but in Bleach it's someone who made sure the human world was rid of evil spirits. I am curious as to why the webtoon writer choose red instead of other colors, so maybe when I have time, I can do some digging to see if the writer has ever talked about it. 

Here's a picture of their webtoon counterparts for those curious. In some ways I'm curious to what YJS would have looked like with the bleached hair, but in some ways, I'm glad they didn't have him do that. Haha!

WTbFdLz.jpg

• Like 6
  • Insightful 4
On 12/16/2020 at 8:48 AM, JenL said:

-For those who watched DDSSLLS: The guy that plays the mayor was also Jun's dad in DDSSLLS and he's been a jerk in both series, as well as a terrible father for the most part. Hahaha, I think he has a face that looks like it needs a good smack because it's sly and cunning

Yes, he does! I'm sure he is a great person in real life but he plays that type of sleazy character so well. :shocked2:

On 12/16/2020 at 12:45 PM, joccu__ said:

well the evil spirit actually could communicate with hana and so mun in so mun memories. that is new.! how he could do that! 

I found this to be unexpected. I'm hoping that they touch on it a bit in the next few episodes. 

On 12/16/2020 at 3:51 PM, stroppyse said:

I wonder if this means that when Shin is killed, the human souls will be released back to life?

After Nine Tailed, I hope that's not the case. I think it would make more sense for the souls to finally be able to cross over. I do hope that SM gets to his parents before they do though. 

I'm sad that they won't air any episode the weekend of the 26th/27th, but I am happy that I can catch up with other dramas too -- the life of a drama watcher? Haha!

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
9 hours ago, JenL said:

-Ugh the corrupt cops are so infuriating in this series. I think the added layer of the boys clubs against 1 sole female detective and a trainee really make them all the more disgusting. But I'm loving the mystery at the heart of the series which is also unravelling the character's backstories. The murder of the girl KYN, the corruption with CEOs who use to be criminals and a mayor who is hiring hitmen ...Jungjin city is as dark as Sin City or Gotham 

Good point. I can't stand the corrupt cops and how blatant they are about their corruption.

9 hours ago, JenL said:

He seems a little lacking in his thinking capacities probably because his father never educated him and abandoned him.

I was actually wondering if Shin's lack of mental development could be the result of abuse by his father. It seems that the father is quite used to kicking the heck out of Shin. If Shin had taken enough blows to the head, especially as a child, the physical trauma could have caused neuropathic issues that lead to brain function compromise.

I think that Shin is a case where the demon was able to get an entry to him because he was so alone and afraid and abused. Though given that Shin ate SM's parents souls, he must have been demon possessed for a long time. Anyway, even though I was half expecting Shin to be able to see SM and HN (probably because of the scene in Tales of the Nine Tailed where the character in the film somehow manages to see the FL), it was still scary when it happened. And I have to wonder whether Shin being able to see HN has already changed the past or whether SM's attack on Shin is what changes the past, assuming that the past has changed somehow.

Sad that there won't be an episode this week.

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 3
8 hours ago, Tofu said:

I am curious as to why the webtoon writer choose red instead of other colors,

I think it’s probably like what @abs-oluteM suggested, to ward off demons. The Chinese has this belief which is why we wear read for Chinese New Year, and red decorations almost everywhere. Some also believe in tying red ribbons to trees/objects for similar reason. I think Koreans customs and traditions are quite close to the Chinese. 

• Like 9

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Finally caught up with all 6 episodes! And finally I could enjoy reading all posts too! :brb:

I started watching to tune my thoughts into a drama that's more action heavy after what DDSSLLS drama put me into yet So Mun completely touch my heart right from the start...my eyes and nose did a lot of clearing and cleaning because of him and then you add his crybaby besties into the picture...I became their new crybaby friend. Thanks to JBG for making So Mun so real, innocent and endearing with a big big heart. I've seen him in He Is Psychometric and Hot Stove League which he was so good in them therefore I shouldn't be surprised by his So Mun but because this role is so different, it feels good to see this choice of role. 

However what really seal the deal for me to watch this drama is actually...Yu Jun-Sang. hehe...caught my attention with his character in Falsify so when I saw him in the trailer...I knew I will watch this, just a matter of when. Truly enjoying and look forward to his portrayal of Go Mo-Tak till the end! 

I'm still warming up with the rest of the characters, although they are equally interesting, so perhaps I need more of their pasts revealed as the story develops. At the moment, I'm much more invested with So Mun and Mo-Tak's connection and relationship with each other.   

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
3 hours ago, eNDe said:

I've seen him in He Is Psychometric

I forgot that he played the younger Kwon Kim in this drama! 

3 hours ago, eNDe said:

I became their new crybaby friend.

Haha, agreed! I do become a bit emotional when I watch the scenes with his best friends especially when he called them out of nowhere crying and they just knew. :pandasadspoon:

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1
8 hours ago, Tofu said:

12 hours ago, eNDe said:

I've seen him in He Is Psychometric

I forgot that he played the younger Kwon Kim in this drama! 

Omo! Thanks @eNDe. I  just remembered he was in He’s Psychometric! Liked that show quite a bit . I too like the connection & back story between So Mun & Mo Tak . It anchors the story emotionally for me . 

Yay new episodes tonight . ( I got my hubs to watch this & he loves this . 1st time he’s listening to me because our k drama tastes are like day & night ! :shocked2:

Ooo did the webtoon artist draw this for OCN due to the record ratings ? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Finally I watch ep 6 after postponed it for almost a week. It's surprising indeed how the evil spirit can recognize Moon and Ha Na in Moon's memory and interacting with them. The evil spirit memory even up-to-date with his last fight with Ha Na 7 years in the future. The question is how? How can it do that? And will Moon's punch change everything in the present? Ha Na warns him to not touch anything. 

It was really heartbreaking to see Moon calling and crying over his parents inside his memories. I have noticed this in ep 1, but Moon's mother jumped out from her seat while their car was hit to protect Moon? In just few seconds she unbuckled her seat belt and move to protect him? And before her last breath, she caressed her little boy face. :letalQQ:

And the friendship between Moon and his friends are precious. Moon can't help but to hide his activity as counter. Both his friends are suspicious and try to make him speak it out. They might be hurt because he's hiding something from them, but then when he called them and begging for their help, they immediately jumped and go to him.   :hearties:

I'm looking forward about more background story of Ha Na and Ms Chu. There's possibility that Ha Na's uncle was the one behind her family death. And we will see more of Ms Chu's power beside her healing abilities.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: