The King's Affection 연모 [2021]

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Rowoon is making a lot of MEME

I didn't expect myself to like his character so much. I think he's doing a great job! 

I thought this scene was really sweet. I actually enjoyed it more than the ending scene. Haha!

KA-17.gif

• Heart Eyes 4

2021.10.26 Episode 6 New Stills

FCmeh9VVEAIaDbn?format=jpg&name=medium  FCmcGZuVEAMUb6D?format=jpg&name=medium

FCmcGwCVcAEhBk8?format=jpg&name=medium

Spoiler

FCmeh9VUUAMnnP4?format=jpg&name=medium

FCmcGljVIAQb2Dr?format=jpg&name=medium246478703_6610717982279394_2561483377395

KBS 2TV’s Monday-Tuesday drama revealed new stills ahead of the upcoming episode!

Based on the manhwa (Korean comic) of the same name, “The King’s Affection” tells the story of a pair of royal twins, one male and one female. Although the sister is initially abandoned for being female, she later disguises herself as a man to become the crown prince when her brother dies. Park Eun Bin stars as Lee Hwi, the crown prince with a shocking secret, while SF9’s Rowoon stars as Jung Ji Woon, who is Lee Hwi’s teacher.

Spoilers

At the end of episode 5, Lee Hwi and Jung Ji Woon shared an unexpected embrace when he attempted to save her from a falling vase. The two were shocked by their close proximity, but they couldn’t deny how fast their hearts beat.

The newly released stills feature Lee Hwi and Jung Ji Woon separated by a thick wall of awkwardness. Lee Hwi, who confidently appeared for a royal lecture, urgently rushes away, and Jung Ji Woon, who watches her with mesmerized eyes, cups his cheeks with a dazed expression as he can’t control the flood of emotions heating up his heart. Yang Moon Soo (Kim In Kwon) and Choi Man Dal (Kim Min Seok) look confused by their reactions, hinting the odd atmosphere at the sigangwon (a government office that is responsible for the education of the taxpayers).

In the preview for the next episode, Jung Ji Woon spots a familiar book that makes him recall Lee Dam Yi and asks Lee Hwi why she has it. She carefully says, “She must have been very special to you,” and he doesn’t hesitate to declare, “She was my first love.” With their romance heating up, viewers are excited to see what will happen as he gets closer to finding out her true identity.

The drama’s producers teased, “If there was unyielding quarrels of the ‘Hwi-Woon’ couple in the previous episodes, today’s broadcast is expected to create more excitement and laughter with the way they extremely care for each other and their conscious behavior of one another. Please look forward to the acting of Park Eun Bin and Rowoon, who perfectly expressed this unfamiliar excitement.”

source

Episode 6 of “The King’s Affection” will air on October 26 at 9:30 p.m. KST.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Episode 5

I don't know where/how Ji Woon get all that courage to talk back at a Crown Prince all the time :laugh: Everyone is scared sh*t of Hwi except Ji Woon. In episode 5, countless times I catch him arguing back. If he can't win, he would make this face:

aa4eb786f35f2803f9941acc0eed389f216bc756

:lmao2:

And LOL at him starting to swoon at Hwi. I thought the timing when he began to stare (right after the bickering) was a bit random...:pandathink: but nonetheless, it was expected. There were a lot of funny moments for me, all from Rowoon-related scenes. Other than the bickering, I laughed at him hitting his own head to tell himself to snap out of it. Obviously episode 6 pre-release preview was even funnier.

As I've already mentioned before, I'm super glad Lee Hyun already knew Dam-i's identity and has been protective of her since. So sweet. I was super impressed he beats up Hwi's uncle outside the palace. The action / sword-swining scene there was pretty well done in my opinion.

The actor playing the uncle is really good and convincing being a sleazebag. Although the actor without all those facial hairs is also not bad looking.

Spoiler

20200908143319745.jpg

What surprises me in this episode is how powerful Hwi's grandfather is that he even dares to hit a Royal family. To bring him down is not going to be easy. I don't think I've seen a sageuk which I find it was done it in a very satisfying way when justice was served, so this would be one of the bit of the stories I'm concerned of since I really want this drama to do well through to the end.

Kim Ga On, still can't figure him out but so pretty to look at! Hahaha! I'd love it if the story explore his backstory more. Right now I think I wouldn't mind backstory on all the 3 guys. Not so much into the two other supporting ladies, bwahahaha.

Now that I think about it, it seems so early in the show that Ji Woon is already falling for Hwi. From the preview/spoiler photos, we know Hwi will be married to a Crown Princess and then she'll be King... :pandathink:

• Insightful 2
  • Shocked 2
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

he actor playing the uncle is really good and convincing being a sleazebag. Although the actor without all those facial hairs is also not bad looking.

You're right. Nice looking but so awful here.  But the uncle constantly trying to question Hwi's lack of interest in women may very well be the catalyst for her to "take on a wife " quickly to quell the rumours .

Pretty bodyguard gave an interesting look when Hwi was walking off. Seems like he detested the prince. A bit of a red flag there. At least we know there will be a back story & he ain't just standing around looking pretty. :hug:

I love Ji Woon - Hwi's interactions a lot. Yes, he's  the only one who has the courage to correct Hwi. And he does it in a very nurturing gentle way that even Hwi cannot be angry at him. I wonder if Hwi has really become this arrogant  and sullen because she's putting up an act . Or over the years the conditioning/ training by her mother has made her that way. Perhaps what started off as an act has become so second nature to her that she truly is full of anger.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Surprised at how much I'm liking this drama. The story isn't too hard to follow so far...and the visuals with this set of actors is so fineeee. I am dying of SLS though! Me every time Nam Yoon Su smiles = :BulbaOWO: I also die a little every time I see him defending her...which has been so many times so far... knowing full well that he's playing the losing game :letalQQ:

But Rowoon and Byung Chan also have me gaping at the screen :MonkaTang: :laugh: Forgot to write my thoughts last week so here goes

Episodes 3-4

- Haha, Ji Woon collecting herbs in the woods...but then accidentally stumbling into Dam-i and peeking at her....well good thing it's handsome Rowoon. Otherwise he would have been accidentally executed for being a creepy peeping tom :laugh:

- It's a good thing Lee Hyun saved Dam-i from being shot by the assasin...but I feel like it was from this moment on I knew I was doomed to have second lead syndrome :heart:

- Is the lady with the boils meant to be Dam-i's future wife? :thinking: She seems scary the way she was threatening to brand/ scar the poor girl who worked with Ji Woon! Ji Woon was so cool when he said that he doesn't run away when there's someone to protect. She seems like she has a thing for Ji Woon though when she introduced herself? :thinking:

- There's huge power plays between the grandma Queen and the evil step mother. But I skimmed through the manwha recently and it seemed the grandma in the comics has her own agenda? I'm not sure if it's changed for the TV series, since I don't recall seeing so much of the evil step mother in the comics either. But makes me wary of both characters! :lettalKWA:

- I feel sorry for the innocent step brother who seems to look up to her though - his mother is evil, but he seems to just want a brother...but Dam-i must freeze him out to be safe :mine:

- So sad that Dam-i was taught that she would have to keep her secret a secret at all costs even if it meant that servants who accidentally found out had to be killed. I feel bad for the Crown Princess for having to kill to keep her children safe. No wonder she died early :letalQQ:

- Ugh Ji Woon's father was so cruel to his friends...I feel sad that they got hit and abused for no reason except that his dad wanted to force him to be the royal tutor :pandarage2:

- Hahaha all the tricks to try and get rid of him...but he was prepared!!! Poor Eunuch Hong though who got so drunk :laugh: He's one of my favourites. He's so cute and puppy like with his loyalty to Dam-i and he's one of the few people who knows how hard things are for her. 

- @mademoiselle haven't read back on everyone's comments, but were you disappointed with the topless scenes? I thought they were rather short and you barely saw Rowoon's body...haha, I feel like you saw more from the stills! :thinking:

- This drama seems determined to give me SLS with the tropey fact that the two guys are friends. Why? Why do these writers think this is fun! Honestly, please tell me it's not that common. I have definitely never been in a love triangle with 2 friends involved :laugh:

- I thought the royal exams were so weird...like how was she suppose to get that answer? Lotus seeds could mean anything! Haha, I remember writing essays in school and people use to complain because some people feel it's subjective...but at least you get marked on the structure of your arguments...I was confused about how she was meant to get an exact answer? :BulbaConfused:

- Hahaha, I feel like the court maids are meant to represent the audience when Byung Chan arrives as Kim Ga On the bodyguard. Honestly....he's just so beautiful :heart:

- OK, I was definitely pulled in deeper into SLS - land with the end of episode 4. I think I'm a sucker for anything cute and playful and when he pulled her out of the crowded shop and they ran away from their minders it was super cute. And then the fact that he noticed what ring she was looking at and the whole gaze they had when he protected her from the water :heart::heart::heart:

-And then Rowoon and the hat thing also....man, Park Eun Bin must have saved a country in her last life to be rewarded by being surrounded by so many hotties :laugh::wow:

Edited by JenL
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

While I'm on a roll...

Episode 5

- Hahaha, poor Dam-i/ Lee Hwi finding out that Lee Hyun and Ji Woon are actually friends....makes her want to take back her badmouthing :lol:

- And then I was sad with that scene with Lee Hyun seeing the hat tying and getting his ring back. The rejections are always so early for the second leads :letalQQ:And he knows her secret from years ago but has been keeping in secret since then....also it was so cute that the reason he overheard the secret was because he was trying to hide his kitten...but he's also one of the people who really understands just how hard it is for Dam-i in the palace :heart:

- Haha, Rowoon's expressions in this episode were so funny! And Ji Woon already in deep...he keep noticing her pretty facial expressions and day dreaming about her when they study alone and when she admires flowers etc :wow:

- I thought it was cute that Ji Woon got the kids who kicked the ball out of trouble and played with them...but just how long was Dam-i standing there watching them...it looked like they played several matches :laugh:

- Oh nooooo...is Kim Ga On bad??? :lettalKWA: It's hard to say...because in the comics, it seems like his role is meant to be what Ji Woon was originally - a bodyguard hired to protect the prince by her grandmother. So shouldn't be bad...but the grandma is dodgy in the books....so it could go any way really...it also seems like they might have given him a revenge storyline? Ji Woon's storyline in the original comics is that his family was exiled for trying to take down the king. I wonder if they have given that whole story to Byung Chan's character instead :idk:

- Ugh...so grandma Queen seems to still care about the annoying womanising uncle according to Dam-i's evil materal grandfather? But that guy is so annoying! :pandarage2:

- Lee Hyun protecting Dam-i from evil uncle was so... hot...and he could still do it with dimpled smiles :cool:

- Things are heating up for the main pair. I have to say there's a lot of swerve/ protecting huggiing going on. First Lee Hyun and the water...now Ji Woon and the falling pot. Haha, when you're royalty everything is out to get you, so you need hot guys to protect you from every corner :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Glad to hear you are enjoying the drama @JenL

Shin So Eun wants to be the Crown Princess but she's now fallen for Ji Woon instead. The other actress hasn't appeared yet. I didn't expect her to come out so late actually but not going to complain because more screen time for the pretty boys bahahaha. 

As for shirtless Rowoon, I think it was an unnecessary scene with the way it was edited to be honest. Also disappointed there was no behind the scenes! I would have loved to see how Eun Bin reacts/teases him for this scene. In conclusion, I'm still in awe Rowoon actually did it (feels like I'll never see it again or for a long while), so I better treasure this miracle for a long time and save all the photos available :laugh:

Hmm, I think you've just given out a spoiler there on Kim Ga On. It does sound like he took over the manhwa's Ji Woon's role. Now I'm uncertain as to how this show will end since Dam-i cannot stay in the palace forever in current status. She'd have to return to either become a Princess or elope with Ji Woon to the Ming and live as a commoner. I can see only option 2 as the end because if she is accepted back as Princess, we have no happy ending with Ji Woon either for Ji Woon's father is sinned. In that era, when a parent commit a crime, theirs children automatically is treated like sinners too.

I honestly died laughing at this:

img.gif

And the below two are just for swooning purposes.

img.gif

img.gif

... and I've cast my vote last night after watching both episodes. Ji Woon/Rowoon still sturdily has my heart. :heart:  I even forfeited the multiple choice in the second question.

GIF source: Dorothy

===

@JenL Yes, I'm aware that Mama Spoiler and Typedmaru joint-hands to sub Affection's materials. I'm very thankful you guys have English subs to watch too.

To make it easy to find, I'm updating the BTS and OST links on page 1 too. @abs-oluteM Can you please pin this so it can be easily found? :) Thank you in advance.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
9 hours ago, JenL said:

I feel like it was from this moment on I knew I was doomed to have second lead syndrome

He says in his magazine interview that Hyun is kind of a daddy-long-leg character, which probably will not help anyone who's trying to avoid SLS too. :cry:

9 hours ago, JenL said:

He's one of my favourites. He's so cute and puppy like with his loyalty to Dam-i and he's one of the few people who knows how hard things are for her. 

Same, I absolutely love his character too! I feel bad for him because the Crown Prince was more than someone he served -- they were also friends in some ways. He lost the Crown Prince at such a young age along with Dam-I. They both kind of had to just deal with it and move on. The trauma in all of that is so sad.

I felt like episode six was so short even though, it wasn't. I was just getting into the episode and all of a sudden, I was at the end already. How did that happen?! :scaredpanda2:

Bae Soo Bin's character is so evil, but in some ways, is he really? He lived through so much injustice that he's almost jaded and unfazed by people's emotions. I do appreciate that we see a bit of his human side when Ji Woon tried to harm himself to get his father to stop. 

I thought it was cute to know that the reason Ji Woon became a physician to help the poor was because of the wish Dam-I made when they were younger. How can you not be touched by that? I think in one episode, I switch who I would like Dam-I to end up with at least 3-4 different times. :eeeee:

I can't wait to see how Dam-I is going to react when she finds out that Ji Woon cleaned up their secret place. :heart:

Dam-I continues to save Ji Woon, in some ways, even after 10 years. Haha!

KA-24v2.gif

• Heart Eyes 3

I’m looking forward to the scenes when her identity is revealed.  I’m contemplating everyone’s reaction.  Including The King and Grandfather.  Really want to see how they handle it.  

It’s still very early but my heart feels heavy watching her go through this stuff.

The only way she is going to live peacefully as a woman is “die” and be reborn as Dami

• Like 4

Eps 6 was great. The plot is so far so good. And I think one of my favourite things is that we continue to see flashbacks of Ji Woon  and Dami. Many dramas that use the 1st love trope make it unbelievable that they can be each other's destiny  after one encounter.  We can understand now why both of them held each other so dearly in their hearts. They had plenty of interactions & had an impact on each other. I was moved that his decision to go into medicine was because she inspired him to . 

I continue to be impressed by PEB's emotions - her eyes say it all . Subtle but there's longing, anger, resignation to fate. You can see how she tries hard to repress her feelings each time she see Ji Woon.  Dami's story is one that tugs at my heartstrings because the life she lives now is not a life. Though it spared her of death, it isn't a life that she would have ever wanted to choose for herself. She is in constant fear of being found out and it seems like she is nothing but a pawn to the political games her grandfather plays; it is no wonder she is always gloomy and ill-tempered. 

Eps 6 also made me appreciate Rowoon even more. The little micro expressions when he was confused about his feelings for the "Prince" to the more emotional scenes when his father wanted to kill his friends - Rowoon has clearly put in a lot of effort to take on this role. I agree with @mademoiselle - watch She Would Never Know if you're looking for a good Rowoon drama. I liked his character a lot there as well. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring