The King's Affection 연모 [2021]

I am here ! I just finished the episode.  

One of the things that stood out for me is Rowoon's expressions. Be it when he's being cute & humorous, or infatuated or when he's angry or hurt - I love how he's playing Ji Woon.

While I am 100% behind what Hwi/ Dami did to that Ming Envoy since he deserves it, I do also think that  her pent up insecurities about her identity fueled her to hit him. Considering the sort of political repercussions this would bring, the right or calm reaction would be to hold it in.  But the problem with Dami being Hwi is that she has to often overcompensate. Part of her wants so desperately to be good enough for her father which was why she volunteered to greet the envoy. And hence when the envoy showed so much disrespect for her , it triggered her to react.

Dami as Hwi is dealing with a number of things causing her to feel unhappy as she is. Even if she was truly Hwi (and not the fake Hwi), palace politics alone would be enough to make her feel insecure considering that Hwi is not the father's choice to succeed him. Then of course as Dami, she also has to struggle with the fact that she was never meant to be alive since she was born a girl. It is suffocating to be her. Hence it was nice to see how JiWoon's thoughtful gestures and antics are making her smile from time to time. What is interesting is that JaeUn is also noticing a change in her behavior and reaction towards JiWoon.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

32 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM:SquirtleWonderfull: you're finally here. Look at his bling bling teary eyes. I'm at obsessed level now. Ottokaeeeee? :psweatduck:

Yes...I worked till 7pm today!  Yes, your obsessed level can challenge @SilverMoonTea's.

My mum loves this show too. She would always watch it as soon as it airs. 

So touching

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM They had to end the BOBO right where we saw it in the preview! But I had to laugh coz Ji Woon BOBO her JUST LIKE THAT. :lmao2: He's drank alcohol but he wasn't like drunk-drunk...

Uri Ji Woon and Hyun are going to be heartbroken soon. The Crown Princess will appear in the next episode and Hwi is going to get married.

Episode 9 Preview

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
13 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Uri Ji Woon and Hyun are going to be heartbroken soon. The Crown Princess will appear in the next episode and Hwi is going to get married.

I forgot about the Crown Princess. Oh nooo. When will this romance even take off if Dami's identity is not made known to JW? :nervous:

---------

So pretty

Preview - this twitter says he asked for a hug

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Calling @ktcjdrama ~ where are you lately? Your bodyguard's turn to show skin/abs!

:wow: Thanks for the heads up....

I haven't even watched last night's episode yet because there were still things I needed to take care of. No handsome PA helping me in RL lah... I shall have double dose of Affection tonight :smile: 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Just finished watching ep 8 and GAAHHH! I can't believe Ji-Woon kissed Hwi/Dam-i!!!! :wow2:

Rowoon is doing such an amazing job here as Ji-Woon - his micro-expressions and his eyes! His eyes say so much every time he's around Hwi/Dam-i.

I worry about the next episode with Hwi/Dam-i getting married. How will this impact Ji-Woon, Hyun and Hwi/Dam-i? As if it's not already complicated enough. 

It was so satisfying to see Hwi/Dam-i punch the Ming Eunuch. He totally deserved it for being such a jerk. I love that Hwi/Dam-i is so protective of the people around her - even when it came to Ga-On. Speaking of which, it looks like my suspicions were right in that Ga-on is related to Hwi's tutor who was executed in the beginning. I wonder how he truly feels about Hwi/Dam-i. I am starting to really like him.

• Heart Eyes 3

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

Gosh, it felt so good seeing Dam-i punched that Ming Chief Eunuch until his mouth was bloody! But I know that action has dire consequences for her :nervous: And how dare he ordered his fighter to hurt my pretty bodyguard?! Anyway, I am glad that was settled well. I teared up when Dam-i was brushing Court Lady's hair, and then when she sincerely apologised to the Chief Eunuch for the hardships he had to endure growing up. 

Whoaaaa, that ending of ep.8 though!! :shocked2::smug:

• Heart Eyes 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 8

I'm with you @Mouse, I think Ga On is Hwi's deceased Tutor's son now that we get a flashback of his dream. I even double checked if it was the same man.

Hahahaha I love how you address Ga On as "my pretty bodyguard" @ktcjdrama :pandablush: He is pretty to look at... so young... the skin looks so good. I've to question though, how long did this Envoy stayed in Joseon because I was :PsyWhat: "Has his wounds healed yet? I thought it was deep!" when Dam-i left him to fight against 4 men!

Hmph, I think Ji Woon needs more practice in sword fights and improve his fighting skills in general. I want to see him get hurt and do pain (from saving someone) but not actually getting beaten up and lose to his opponents. Tsk. There's a difference there, ha-ha.

You know, I'd think the story about the Envoy and court maid should come a little later because it would amplify how much Dam-i relates to it because it is a reflection of her and Ji Woon—the bit that they have feelings for each other but cannot be together. This aside, definitely Dam-i would understand the hardship of a Joseon person sent to China and having to survive the racism treatment better than Hwi. 

LOL, how cute was drunk Ji Woon getting dragged out on the floor by Ga On?:lmao2: Ga On be like, let's clean the floor while we're at it. I'm wondering if there'll be a side story of friendship or comradeship happening between Ga On, Ji Woon and Dam-i, along with Hyun. 

The BOBO! OMG hahaha. I can't believe it happened JUST LIKE THAT! I knew he was drunk but heck, the way it happened is confusing because he's seeing Dam-i as a man when he kissed her, not mistaken her for a woman. Right? I was wondering if Ji Woon fell in love with Hwi/Dam-i for who she is—her personality and this is regardless of gender. Is that even possible? Loving a person regardless of gender, a person just really likes the other person? But then the preview showed him imagining her as a woman (and possibly confuses her with the court maid he met).

9 hours ago, Mouse said:

Rowoon is doing such an amazing job here as Ji-Woon - his micro-expressions and his eyes! His eyes say so much every time he's around Hwi/Dam-i.

I find him making really good use of his big eyes to emote. It's such a bonus because it is extra enjoyable when actors can emote through eyes, especially since eyes are the window of soul.

LOL I didn't expect a plot twist though... my boy keeps receiving the wrong script.

FDMyREaUYAIp-cD?format=jpg&name=medium

Spoiler

FDMyRTEUYAAN3Bg?format=jpg&name=medium

And hurrayyyyy!!! The ratings have been going up up up now that there's no competition! :laugh:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 3

“The King’s Affection” Hits New Personal Best In Viewership Ratings

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“The King’s Affection” is on an upward streak in ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, the November 2 episode of KBS’s “The King’s Affection” recorded average nationwide viewership ratings of 7.6 percent. This is a 0.6 percent increase from its previous episode’s ratings of 7.0 percent and marks a new personal best for the drama.

The drama’s ratings were likely boosted by the fact that there are currently no other dramas airing in the Monday-Tuesday evening time slot, as SBS’s “Lovers of the Red Skywrapped up last week and tvN’s “High Class” ended the night before.

Starting next week, tvN’s “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy” and JTBC’s “IDOL: The Coup” will also air on Monday and Tuesday nights.

source

• Party! 3
7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Do you guys think Ga On cut his throat? I didn't look carefully if he was in the group returning to China.

Who cares... My cutie pie so handsome :wow:

45 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

2021.11.03 Netflix Korea Key Interview -

Waiting patiently for Choi Byung Chan’s turn.... :heiboi:

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Who cares... My cutie pie so handsome :wow:

Waiting patiently for Choi Byung Chan’s turn.... :heiboi:

I died laughing at your "Who cares" :lmao2: You've to care coz that guy might hurt him again!

I've bad news. Don't think Byung Chan will be in the Netflix promotion. See how they all wear the same clothes for The Swoon and NF Korea? BC isn't there. 😔

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, mademoiselle said:

You've to care coz that guy might hurt him again!

He’s proven he is number one swordsman and already won: That day he got slashed was because he respected the guest and Dam-i didn’t give any order to hit :pandaattack:  Anyway, Dam-i took care of the big bad boss, so they’re not coming back 😁 

3 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I've bad news. Don't think Byung Chan will be in the Netflix promotion. See how they all wear the same clothes for The Swoon and NF Korea? BC isn't there.

Yeah, I didn’t expect much because he is a newbie anyway. But who knows if more and more interest arose for him, we might see an interview later on. We’re not even halfway through the drama 😉

Anyway, any thoughts about that one guy among the ministers whom the camera keep panning to? Is that Hyun’s brother? What will his role be because the camera keep making sure that we see a reaction from him...

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

9 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Anyway, any thoughts about that one guy among the ministers whom the camera keep panning to? Is that Hyun’s brother? What will his role be because the camera keep making sure that we see a reaction from him.

I don't know yet. He is also royalty so if Dam-i gets dethroned, and her brother is not supported, then he could be a candidate for the throne.

• Insightful 3