The King's Affection 연모 [2021]

16 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

It will almost be like the movie Frozen Flower.

Hahahaha did @Chocolate go and search up on Frozen Flower after this was mentioned? :lenny:

19 hours ago, Chocolate said:

What do you think of my grand idea? 😂

Hahaha Rowoon is on loan to Park Eun Bin by me. I'm not loaning him to another woman :laugh:And LOL, you really like your scandalous plot I can tell ya that! But aren't you sick of watching concubines fighting each other for a man's affections by now? I feel so sad (and annoyed) when I see how pathetic women had to become during that era... hence I made sure I've my own virtual male harem :lmao2:

11 hours ago, Tofu said:

I actually found it interesting that Ji Woon was allowed to confess his feelings to the Crown Prince without knowing it's Dam-I. This thinking is probably because I'm used to Chinese dramas condemning this type of development in their dramas (homosexual relationships are frown upon and often omitted from the script -- their BL dramas are more brotherhood type dramas instead). I loved that they showed Ji Woon feeling conflicted with his feelings but ultimately owning up to it too. 

True. China doesn't recognise LGBT yet that's why they can only hint it. SK doesn't too however I can see from various kdramas (and Westerns) these days are introducing more and more this topic into the stories and try to "educate" the viewers that being homosexual is not wrong so that as time passes, the newer generations will not condemn this community for being different. I think it is interesting that Ji Woon is written to fall in love with a woman thinking that she is a man and love her for who she is as a person rather than a man or a woman. However, this did make me question whether this is how LGBT people felt too? I don't have LGBT friends to ask and it's too sensitive to bring it up as I don't want to offend anyone. However using myself as an example, I have noticed that I could not crush on actresses like I do for actors therefore I do think being a man does make a difference for me. Hope I make sense.

5 hours ago, gilaswan said:

@mademoiselleI reckon the awkwardness you are feeling with Jiwoon kissing Dami thinking she is Hwi is not so much that he thinks she is Hwi and believes he has fallen in love with a man, but that there is deception in this. At least for me, that is what I feel needs to be outed soon, cos the tension in that is waning and I feel that Jiwoon will soon be the fool for not knowing, especially when Jaeun knows. As for what I feel about episodes 9 & 10, I haven't shed a tear yet either. But I have to say, I don't easily shed tears when watching dramas. Their love story is sad, but then, that seems to be the general case of life as royalty in a time where marriages are just political contracts between families. 

Spoiler

No, not deception on behalf of Ji Woon. It was more of because of I'm more on the conservative side - I would be lying to say I'm ok seeing BL/GL on screen being intimate. So to have Ji Woon and Hwi sharing a more passionate lips kissing where Ji Woon still thinks she is a man is like watching two BL kissing. I don't think Ji Woon will feel like a fool. I do believe he is the type that will first try to understand the situation first. And the reason is quite straight forward already... her being a Crown Prince and has limitations.

4 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Because really, what happens after the marriage? What happens on the wedding night? Or even the nights after? Sooner of later, the wife is going to be suspicious right? I see only 3 possibilities:

• Dam makes her so angry she is happy he doesn't visit her (but this is not a long term solution);
  • They are going to have to drug her and another man steps in without her knowing (which would be difficult for Dam to do since she is also a woman);
  • The last is she will have to come clean with the wife and they get a child in from elsewhere.

Refer to The Moon that Embraces the Sun :laugh:. Kim Soo Hyun managed to dodge sleeping his Queen for all episodes!

And aren't Kings (even CP) expected to have many concubines too? I'm surprised that there are no rumours yet that the CP is not sleeping with anyone. Won't his "manliness" be questioned?

Yes, Hwi's "manliness" has already been questioned. This is why you shouldn't have skipped/dropped this drama :smug:

Granted, there will be no show if she runs away. And apart from her court maids and eunuchs (who are of course important and no decent person will leave at their expense), it is actually not difficult for her to run away. Because she is in reality a girl! Everyone will be looking for a male. She just needs to convert back to her real self as a female.

So if you have seen the manhwa, do you know the ending? Psst, tell me secretly lol!

LOL she should just do what the movie The Face Reader do. Add a mole and return to a woman and no one will know and we will have no drama to watch and I've no Rowoon to ogle at. @Chocolate Now we need to talk... :GengarPout:

I have only peeked at the end of the last few pages of the manhwa. But I'm not telling you the ending because it can be completely different for the drama and I want you to keep watching :eeeee:

4 hours ago, gilaswan said:

@ChocolateActually, I'm trying to understand why Dami is going through with the marriage. Wouldn't the delay as the father wants actually be helpful for her? Why does she feel she has to continue to protect her late mother's wishes and her late brother's dignity? Those are the questions I want answered actually. And her approaching the Minister of Personnel's daughter for marriage... why too? Is it all purely about politics? If so, then which camp is she in? She doesn't seem pro-dad, but she also doesn't seem pro-granddad. And yes, this thing about Minister of Personnel's daughter. I don't get her character either. Started off being quite the bully and entitled lady, but now suddenly so virtuous? I mean, she was absolutely tyrannical with Ji Woon and his friends! That's one character that doesn't jive with me. 

I think it's Dam-i's stupid way of wanting to move on from Ji Woon, and also it is inevitable anyway because the grandmother has set her mind to it. She is neither pro-dad nor pro-grandfather that's why she chose So Eun since her family is "neutral" in the politics. I agree with you about So Eun. It felt off for me as well; however, I think I've an explanation to this change. Ji Woon's schooling in the beginning and his continuation of showing her his ways changed her perception. She did say to Ji Woon that he makes her feel ashamed of herself.

To be honest Noh Ha Kyung's naivety and behaviour doesn't sit well with me either because her father is in the same camp as Minister Han can only means the father would be quite a stuck-up himself and his status / behaviour would also influence the household. I can't see his offsprings not take up his snobbish attitude as well.

2021.11.10 A BTS of A Scene Shared by Staff

And @ktcjdrama the "real" pond is actually very shallow :laugh:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWFbpUnAcFB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 11/10/2021 at 9:37 AM, cess4evah said:

Episode 10

Every time Lyn OST has been played in the scene, I cannot help but to sigh with sadness. I love their date even know we already know that after that heartbreak will followed. When they eat together, I love how Hwi indirectly told Ji Un that she's been thinking the soup and Ji Un said is that so? I feel like Ji Un already read between the line. My heart goes jelly when they are happy spending time with each other. 

The irony of life that Hwi had to asked So Eun to be the wife knowing that So Eun actually like Ji Un (I see you Hwi you just don't want So Eun end up with Ji Un HAHAHA) Kidding aside, I think So Eun will declined it thus Ha Kyung would be the crown princess.

So writer nim can I ask you? When will Ji Un know that Hwi is actually DaMi. My doctor friend told me that Ji Un is a physician and yet he can't see that Hwi is a female LOL. So I think Ji Un's statement to Hwi that he knows ladies is a big lie LOL. 

Ji Un and Hyun also love the same woman. Common writernim tell me how you will fix this????

Leaving the palace is one of the wisest decision that Ji Un made. He's really been so honest since day one. He wear his heart on his sleeve. I want to go inside my monitor and hug both Dami and Ji Un. They are both victims of circumstances. And it's so sad :(

About jiwoon being a physician

1)i believe, a time period where only two genders were taken into account male/female i dont think studies regarding identifying the gender just by studying the people's face were invented at that time(i may be wrong too in this part)

2) Jiwoon being an acupuncturist, would have known that she is a woman if he had checked her pulse, but due to some reasons he didnt and he wouldnt dare to just to satisfy his curiosity.

3) I think it is the way Hwi carries herself, her voice, her walk that it would be hard for anyone to know that she is actually a woman. In manga, Hwi's feminine side is often shown like how she constantly ill and weak physically, she doesnt even drink alcohol that makes people suspect that she seems like a woman while in drama her character is made very strong that she can carry every single activity a male of that time can. 

4) If you remember, jiwoon did suspect that she seems like the woman he saw in the forest but the fact that the crown prince is actually is next to impossible for people at that time. Even a word from his mouth and he would be executed. So him pondering over the thought that the Crown prince is a woman is next to impossible for me.

Let's see in future episodes how he would find out in next episodes. My theories are after they kiss on the lips he may find out or may be he hears a monologue of hwi at their secret place that she is dami.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3
12 hours ago, Chocolate said:

And aren't Kings (even CP) expected to have many concubines too? I'm surprised that there are no rumours yet that the CP is not sleeping with anyone. Won't his "manliness" be questioned?

😄 Since you didn’t watch the drama from beginning, yes the people have questioned the CP’s manliness 

12 hours ago, gilaswan said:

And yes, this thing about Minister of Personnel's daughter. I don't get her character either. Started off being quite the bully and entitled lady, but now suddenly so virtuous? I mean, she was absolutely tyrannical with Ji Woon and his friends! That's one character that doesn't jive with me. 

This! I was thinking the same thing. They really shouldn’t have her said the line about branding/tattooing the girl’s face. Then I guess I can accept her transformation more easily. I feel like we’ve been introduced to a new character now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

10 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahahaha did @Chocolate go and search up on Frozen Flower after this was mentioned? :lenny:

Hahaha Rowoon is on loan to Park Eun Bin by me. I'm not loaning him to another woman :laugh:And LOL, you really like your scandalous plot I can tell ya that! But aren't you sick of watching concubines fighting each other for a man's affections by now? I feel so sad (and annoyed) when I see how pathetic women had to become during that era... hence I made sure I've my own virtual male harem :lmao2:

True. China doesn't recognise LGBT yet that's why they can only hint it. SK doesn't too however I can see from various kdramas (and Westerns) these days are introducing more and more this topic into the stories and try to "educate" the viewers that being homosexual is not wrong so that as time passes, the newer generations will not condemn this community for being different. I think it is interesting that Ji Woon is written to fall in love with a woman thinking that she is a man and love her for who she is as a person rather than a man or a woman. However, this did make me question whether this is how LGBT people felt too? I don't have LGBT friends to ask and it's too sensitive to bring it up as I don't want to offend anyone. However using myself as an example, I have noticed that I could not crush on actresses like I do for actors therefore I do think being a man does make a difference for me. Hope I make sense.

Reveal hidden contents

No, not deception on behalf of Ji Woon. It was more of because of I'm more on the conservative side - I would be lying to say I'm ok seeing BL/GL on screen being intimate. So to have Ji Woon and Hwi sharing a more passionate lips kissing where Ji Woon still thinks she is a man is like watching two BL kissing. I don't think Ji Woon will feel like a fool. I do believe he is the type that will first try to understand the situation first. And the reason is quite straight forward already... her being a Crown Prince and has limitations.

Refer to The Moon that Embraces the Sun :laugh:. Kim Soo Hyun managed to dodge sleeping his Queen for all episodes!

Yes, Hwi's "manliness" has already been questioned. This is why you shouldn't have skipped/dropped this drama :smug:

LOL she should just do what the movie The Face Reader do. Add a mole and return to a woman and no one will know and we will have no drama to watch and I've no Rowoon to ogle at. @Chocolate Now we need to talk... :GengarPout:

I have only peeked at the end of the last few pages of the manhwa. But I'm not telling you the ending because it can be completely different for the drama and I want you to keep watching :eeeee:

I think it's Dam-i's stupid way of wanting to move on from Ji Woon, and also it is inevitable anyway because the grandmother has set her mind to it. She is neither pro-dad nor pro-grandfather that's why she chose So Eun since her family is "neutral" in the politics. I agree with you about So Eun. It felt off for me as well; however, I think I've an explanation to this change. Ji Woon's schooling in the beginning and his continuation of showing her his ways changed her perception. She did say to Ji Woon that he makes her feel ashamed of herself.

To be honest Noh Ha Kyung's naivety and behaviour doesn't sit well with me either because her father is in the same camp as Minister Han can only means the father would be quite a stuck-up himself and his status / behaviour would also influence the household. I can't see his offsprings not take up his snobbish attitude as well.

2021.11.10 A BTS of A Scene Shared by Staff

And @ktcjdrama the "real" pond is actually very shallow :laugh:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWFbpUnAcFB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

About the LGBTQ+  community from what i have read on twitter and other platforms maximum of them are appreciating how they have handled the part really well than most other kdramas. Many of them have even said that it could have passed as a BL drama if only the crown prince was actually a man and is actually better than most they have seen. Some of them are also calling jiwoon as their Bi king. Obviously some are gonna criticize it but majority of them are appreciating it.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
19 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahahaha did @Chocolate go and search up on Frozen Flower after this was mentioned? 

Hahaha Rowoon is on loan to Park Eun Bin by me. I'm not loaning him to another woman And LOL, you really like your scandalous plot I can tell ya that! But aren't you sick of watching concubines fighting each other for a man's affections by now? I feel so sad (and annoyed) when I see how pathetic women had to become during that era... hence I made sure I've my own virtual male harem 

Frozen Flower??? Is it like Empire of Lust? 🤣🤣🤣

I love concubine shows, but only those with exceptional writing, where the women scheme with ingenuity - not those bimbo pull hair types 😂 These concubines are usually fighting, not so much for the man (although some really love the King), but for the power they get when they are favoured by the King. It's understandable too because they are so young and have to spend their whole life in the palace. Without power, they may get bullied so sometimes it is a matter of survival.

19 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Yes, Hwi's "manliness" has already been questioned. This is why you shouldn't have skipped/dropped this drama 

9 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

😄 Since you didn’t watch the drama from beginning, yes the people have questioned the CP’s manliness 

Aren't you going to share how the CP's manliness was questioned and how "he" overcame it? Surely I don't have to back-watch the last 6 episodes 😭

• Haha 5
13 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

This! I was thinking the same thing. They really shouldn’t have her said the line about branding/tattooing the girl’s face. Then I guess I can accept her transformation more easily. I feel like we’ve been introduced to a new character now.

Yes! When she said her maid was precious to her I immediately thought about her behaviour in first episode too! Even though I tried to explain it away with because Ji Woon changed her.

3 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Frozen Flower??? Is it like Empire of Lust?

Er... yes and no? Sex scenes wise maybe not like Empire of Lust but Frozen Flower is much older and can you imagine introducing BL scene at that time? When I found out of this movie, I didn't know the celebrities I knew did this movie. xD Cue @Chocolate immediately go and look up on it!

These concubines are usually fighting, not so much for the man (although some really love the King), but for the power they get when they are favoured by the King. It's understandable too because they are so young and have to spend their whole life in the palace. Without power, they may get bullied so sometimes it is a matter of survival.

Yes it is understandable. It's what makes them sad and makes me mad. LOL.

Aren't you going to share how the CP's manliness was questioned and how "he" overcame it? Surely I don't have to back-watch the last 6 episodes 😭

Nope. It's not important HAHAHAHA

13 hours ago, SjJ said:

About the LGBTQ+  community from what i have read on twitter and other platforms maximum of them are appreciating how they have handled the part really well than most other kdramas. Many of them have even said that it could have passed as a BL drama if only the crown prince was actually a man and is actually better than most they have seen. Some of them are also calling jiwoon as their Bi king. Obviously some are gonna criticize it but majority of them are appreciating it.

Welcome @SjJ to Jang Haven forums. Good to hear it was generally well received on most platforms. I think it's well done too to have Ji Woon falls in love of Dam-i/Hwi for the person that she is and not because of gender differences. South Korea is not yet ready for real boy-boy BL on the silver screen (more flexibility in movies) so this will be as far as it can go without Knetz filing a petition to axe another show again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
16 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Yes it is understandable. It's what makes them sad and makes me mad. LOL.

Nope. It's not important HAHAHAHA

Welcome @SjJ to Jang Haven forums. Good to hear it was generally well received on most platforms. I think it's well done too to have Ji Woon falls in love of Dam-i/Hwi for the person that she is and not because of gender differences. South Korea is not yet ready for real boy-boy BL on the silver screen (more flexibility in movies) so this will be as far as it can go without Knetz filing a petition to axe another show again. 

Thank you for the welcome! Given how the script of the show has won the script contest of Ministry of culture and sports of SK i believe that they were ready to take on the challange by giving audience atleast the BL vibes from this drama and make them gradually accept it.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
18 hours ago, Tofu said:

@SjJ @mademoiselle I do think that the viewers knowing Hwi is actually a girl helps people accept Ji Woon's feelings. Nevertheless, if we think about it from the perspective of Ji Woon, I think it's great that he hardly questioned it. 

Why isn't tomorrow Monday yet?! :jiminbtssigh:

Edit -- Their facial expression. LOL!!

KA-30.gif

Yes, more like making it heteronormative for the conservative viewers....

Also, i always knew somehow jiwoon would take much less time to accept his feelings for a "man" compared to the ML in other gender-bender dramas as that is how his character is. It was so natural to his character and props to the writer for that.

• Like 4