The King's Affection 연모 [2021]

Hahahaha this is so cute!

67bc5c1bgy1gwhwggp4w4g20i60a8x6t.gif
67bc5c1bgy1gwhwgj7cqzg20i60a8b2d.gif

@abs-oluteM @Tofu @ktcjdrama @Mouse You know how Rowoon was picking little Ha Eun up and putting her on his shoulder in She Would Never Know (BTS)? I thought only little kiddos will get this special treatment! But oh-ho, as long as we're petite ... we get a chance :wow2::lmao2: Yes... I'm jelly but also very amused. :heart:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Episode 12

I am surprised the King knew the secret for so long. It’s not that we never questioned it previously however I always thought he doesn't know based on the editing, and he was able to fool us with his poker face too. I also thought 10 years ago the real Hwi was already the next Crown Prince because he was also wearing the dragon's robe (blue), indicating he's next in line after his father (then Crown Prince). Therefore I'm not sure why the King mentioned he was against making him a Seja this episode.

The thing I notice and really dislike in sageuk is when the lines were delivered in the way the head scholar did when he pleaded to dethrone the Crown Prince. Why must the dialogues be delivered in such exaggerated tone as if it was a first world problem and they would all die if the Crown Prince were not deposed. And then it was followed by the servants at the East Palace wailing... ugh. I can turn a blind eye on this part though purely because the fall of their Master's status meant the fall of them as well (learnt this from The Red Sleeve Cuff).

The father and daughter’s scene were well-done and I really enjoyed the arc there. I was already emotionally affected when watching it live. Rewatching with subtitles was the same so kudos to both Eun Bin and Lee Pil Mo’s acting here because even without when it was without dialogues, the tears; the restraining expression of a father and the sadness/yearning for love from Dam-i was infectious enough to transfer the emotions to the viewers.

When Ji Woon kissed Dam-i, I was distracted with the thought that how they keep the gat's bead in place whilst Ahn Hyo Seop had so much trouble in Red Sky and voila I got my answer in the BTS. They had the same issue. Hahaha funny as.

The execution of the runaway was quite choppy, particularly on the part that how they did not think about stationing someone else on the boat to take over from the King's Royal Guard in protecting Dam-i if they meant to split up. I get the ultimate plan is for Ji Woon to sweep in like a black knight to the rescue but he could still do that anyway with the guard on standby or arriving later. Obviously I've to criticize on the bit the two who are supposed to be running away just stood on the street in broad daylight without disguise, talking. Last time I checked, my boy has grown from 187.5 cm to 190 cm giant so he's gonna draw attention to his father just from standing there in that bright (but pretty) blue hanbok. LOLOL. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Had to poke fun a bit that I saw on Twitter someone mentioned the King forgot to pack a pair of lady's shoes for Dam-i. So true but maybe it was because the King saw Dam-i already has a pair of red shoes :lmao2:

Last week I mentioned I had hoped by the time they kissed on the lips, Ji Woon already knows Dam-i's true identity. That wasn't the case but the big reveal, I believe, was even better. I liked that she is the one who told him through removing her top :PsyWhat:! That was quite sexy and confronting hahahaha but I like it that action speaks louder than words—since she couldn't bring herself to say it, she showed it to him instead. Haha. Now she HAS to adopt him as her concubine :lmao2:

Anyway, I think next episode is quite predictable in the sense that the King will die as we've seen Dam-i being dragged back to the palace and was in her funeral clothings. I'm guessing Minister Han poisoned him. Pretty sure this is how Minister Han will force her to ascend the throne and marry Noh Ha Kyung. It's curious that throughout this whole eloping saga, uri handsome Kim Ga On was nowhere to be seen. Hey @ktcjdrama spill the beans, did you abduct him for a 2 Nights One Day date? :MewGiggle: There was a scene in the preview where Ga On pointed his sword at the King. But then I don't think Ga On killed him.

The bit that I can't get my head around is once Dam-i is back in the palace and ascend the throne, how will Ji Woon keep close and protect her? There's even more reason he wants to be near now that he knows her identity. Will Hyun be able to help get him a post? I'm still waiting for her to tell him she is Dam-i too.

3qMOpID

source: ByulE

Hahaha I can't help post another version. So cute! They are having lotsa fun.

img.gif source: SOD

This BTS is receiving some attention too... read more under this tweet...

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 2
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

The father and daughter’s scene were well-done and I really enjoyed the arc there. I was already emotionally affected when watching it live. Rewatching with subtitles was the same so kudos to both Eun Bin and Lee Pil Mo’s acting here because even without when it was without dialogues, the tears; the restraining expression of a father and the sadness/yearning for love from Dam-i was infectious enough to transfer the emotions to the viewers.

This was so well-done. I cried a river when she read the letter. How hard it must have been all those years to stay cold & distant , and to be resented for his supposed favour for her younger brother only because it was the best way he could protect her. And he was truly her father all the way even trying to ensure she could escape and live as a woman. I love this part of the story. Even the short scene she had with her younger brother moved me to tears. 

I was happy that Ji Un is finally aware of her being a woman and I am assuming she will tell him about Dami because deception of any form can never be a good thing for a relationship . But I have to applaud the writer for having the kiss take place in spite of Ji Un not knowing the truth just yet. I am sure he would have questioned his sexuality etc but at the end of the day, he made a bold choice to love her regardless of her gender because what truly mattered was the person before him. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

It's curious that throughout this whole eloping saga, uri handsome Kim Ga On was nowhere to be seen. Hey @ktcjdrama spill the beans, did you abduct him for a 2 Nights One Day date?

Let me go check...

Nope, he's not here...

I wish I could abduct him, but I know you girls will miss him and we've agreed to share oppas, right? So I won't take him away without notifying you all :lenny:

I actually haven't watched this week's episodes, haha... still catching up with other dramas because I've fallen quite behind with last week's progress. I've had a lot of shorter window of time last week that I wasn't able to enjoy watching dramas fully, so I decided to wait. Will come back soon with thoughts after watching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

2021.11.18 Staff's IG Update

:heart:

17 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I actually haven't watched this week's episodes, haha... still catching up with other dramas because I've fallen quite behind with last week's progress. I've had a lot of shorter window of time last week that I wasn't able to enjoy watching dramas fully, so I decided to wait. Will come back soon with thoughts after watching.

I'm slacking off myself. Have not even touched Chimera. I'm just going to watch the ones with higher interest & the rest will see how I feel...

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 5

Wow, how have I not written anything for 6 episodes?! I think Episode 5 was the last time I wrote  :psweatduck::psweatduck::psweatduck: 

I have been really busy though. Maybe it's time to test if I can summarize things though (a skill I do not have) :laugh::lol:

I have been watching the episodes as they come out though...and just finished episode 12, so just have to catch up on writing for 6 episodes... :lettalKWA:

Episodes 6-8

I have to agree that Rowoon has the most hilarious expressions in this series. He's really improved so much in his acting that it's quite pleasant to watch him do all the comedic elements of this drama, especially during these episodes where his feelings were growing much stronger, but he still didn't know that Dam-i/ Lee Hwi was a girl. I still laugh thinking about his pracing about with a flower over his ear and being twirled and caught by Dam-i where she's in the traditional male position and he's in the female's position. :laugh:

Oh, I do still have second lead syndrome, but I'm not the kind where liking the second lead deters me from liking the first lead either....basically I'm for all the leads, really, especially since Ji-Woon and Dam-i look good together  But I guess if you ask me who tugs at the heart, I'm still in the Lee Hyun camp.:heart: The pain is definitely real watching him contain his own feelings too especially since he's had a crush almost as long as the two of main characters have liked each other. I really liked the conversation he had with Dam-i on the hill where he said he would always give her the directions if she wanted to escape :letalQQ: Hahaha, he does have dark energy against anyone who threatens Dam-i which I like (Is this my secret inner attraction to the bad boy? LOL :lenny:)

Dam-i is also impressive as a prince who is not afraid to do the right thing...I love that she saved Ji-Woon when he was being accused of not serving the nobility over the lower classes. Also liked that she saved his friends from his father. His father is definitely one of the most spineless characters....honestly, he is such a lap dog for Dam-i's grandfather. :PikachuFacePalm:

UGHHHHH THE MING envoy guy made me so angry :pandarage2::pandarage2::pandarage2: Sure he was treated badly and then his lover became a royal concubine, but did that mean he had to treat others badly? I don't think so!!! Like he wasn't just mean to the rich people but the palace staff too. The way he cut off the Court lady's hair was cruel and unnecessary. I don't blame Dam-i for beating him to a pulp. I also liked that Kim Ga On protected her here even though he clearly has some beef with the royal family. :BulbaOWO:

This was not too bad (long) a summary for me...:lol: More tomorrow!

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Caught upto episode 12 and I am so annoyed that JiUn still does not know that the CP is his Dami. How in the world does the writer expect us to SHIP the lead couple if the hero is kept in the dark and the second ML has all the knowledge and keeps helping/protecting the FL at every turn/obstacle? Few cute scenes are not enough, neither is 2-3 meetups when they were children for them to try and imply that the Main leads are soul mates and OTP. I need more. I need actual meaningful interactions rather than goofy comedy/romantic scenes between them. 

HomeCha tried this same trope and I ended up feeling really unsatisfied with its ending and the "lovestory". 

I hope at least in the next episode JiUn will come to know EVERYTHING and become an active part of the story/plot instead of just a goofy character. 

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

I’m shipping the Crown Prince and Hyun more than Rowoon. :love: I just think that the series are able to show more depth the of Hyun’s character with his limited scenes than Rowoon. 

Spoiler

To think that I liked Hyun’s brother, he was also a bad guy. More than their uncle.:nervous:

Spoiler
Spoiler

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

I think I spent most of watching ep.12 while wiping tears off my face... Some have guessed the King knows about Dam’s real identity, and indeed he does. And such beautiful dress he gifted her, but it’s the letter that got me teary once again... Love seeing Lee Pil Mo in this role. He was actually one of my earlier oppas in the past, LOL. First saw him in a weekend drama, My Love My Family. 

Will be back with more thoughts. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Hahaha @JenL glad to see you back here! Don't forget you haven't written your thoughts from Episode 9-12.

@ktcjdrama Hmm yeah, the two father-daughter scenes were the best. These were the scenes that really got me emotionally. Although not an Oppa, I quite like Lee Pil Mo as well but he's playing more of a secondary/tetiary roles these days. Look forward to more of your thoughts!

Something to lure you back... lol

Spoiler

784b789f86b53a4426f4c9199a60bdf93e557732

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2