The King's Affection 연모 [2021]

After reading this you will cry 

Recaps: https://www.tvreport.co.kr/2083999

Previously, Jung Ji-woon remembered the kiss with Lee Hwi and conveyed his sorrowful heart, saying, “I adore you , the man who is the lord of this country.”

Lee Hwi said, “We are in an impossible relationship. I am the crown prince of this country, and Tutor Jeong is my subject.” No matter what the people in the world say to me o, I will handle everything.” JI Woon replied. 

Finally Lee Hwi said , “I cannot . Whatever my heart was on that day, please forget about it. I'll pretend I didn't hear from you today." Lee Hwi turned and burst into tears at the end.

Ironically, it was Lee Hwi himself who comforted Jung Ji-woon, who was in sorrow because of Lee Hwi.  Lee Hwi, enjoyed a date with Jung Ji-woo who said, “What is the real reason you came to me today?” To his question, “Sometimes I wonder if I should live like them. I can play comfortably and cry when I want to cry. Even in the palace, I can't be honest with myself."

“I have been competing all my life. People may envy me, the Crown Prince, but I envy those people here. I can be happy as much as I want.”

To this, Jung Ji-woon said, “You will, my dear. You can laugh and cry sometimes like today. In front of me,” he said, conveying his love, but Lee Hwi has already decided  to push him away.

Lee Hwi said, “It’s selfish, so you can swear at me. I will meet the Crown Princess soon. This is my answer to Tutor Jeong’s confession.”

“I heard that moving to another place meant leaving the palace. Do you really want me to do that?” Jung Ji-woon’s appeal was, “I also spoke the truth in a difficult way. I thought you would understand me, but I guess I was wrong. I knew it well,” he said feeling frustrated.

In the end, Jung Ji-woon's decision was to leave Lee Hwi's side. On this day, Jung Ji-woon said, "Actually, I can't be the type of person who stays in one place for a long time. So I want to go back to the way I used to live. I hope you are happy. Not just for one day, but every day.”

At the end of the play, Jung Ji-woon, who leaves with the words “Goodbye your highness ,” and Lee Hwi, who weeps at his back, are drawn, raising curiosity about the subsequent development.

Oh but they kiss properly in the preview....so will he know who she is? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I cried good when she was crying in the rain, but I managed to hold back my tears at the end when he handed his the resignation. He made a wise decision to leave the palace instead of having to run into her all the time even while at a different post. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

6 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I cried good when she was crying in the rain, but I managed to hold back my tears at the end when he handed his the resignation. He made a wise decision to leave the palace instead of having to run into her all the time even while at a different post. 

I just finished but I couldn't hold back tears at his resignation. :pandasadspoon: PEB did amazing in that scene ...the tears she was trying to withhold just welling up in her eyes.

In this episode I actually felt sad not only for our leads but also for both Jaeun and So Eun. JaeUn knows that Hwi is a girl from before right? But he only seemed to connect that Hwi is Dami now. And So Eun actually has grown on me over the episodes. How ironic that Hwi had to "court" So Eun because that would be better politically and the irony is that  both Hwi and So Eun love Ji Un. Their fates really quite sad because they cannot freely love and marry the persons they want. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

9 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I just finished but I couldn't hold back tears at his resignation. :pandasadspoon: PEB did amazing in that scene ...the tears she was trying to withhold just welling up in her eyes.

I barely managed to hold back the tears. I kinda knew what was coming, ie. goodbye, so I was preparing myself for it already as I watched that last scene. Not gonna be caught off guard like last night 😆

Yes, it’s really sad all these one-sided love around them. Do you think they will drag until the very last part of the drama before Ji Woon finds out Dam’s true identity? 

• Like 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Watching episode 10 now. 

First question - what made Jaeun think of Dami that he should check the books? Did he even know the name?

And then, how is Court Lady Kim’s hair all right now? Didn’t know they were able to do hair extensions then. Heh…

I think like most everyone else, I wonder how long they can possibly drag this charade for. Her getting married would be the most dangerous thing in getting exposed, right? I’m still rooting for king dad to be trying to delay the royal wedding in part also because he knows she cannot be exposed, though his reasons would probably be far more complex than that. It’s clear that with his second marriage, he has new allegiances. That his first father-in-law caused him to lose one of his children must certainly sit heavily with him. The resentment likely goes beyond just politics into the personal.

Are there any stills the show that she does ascend the throne eventually? I’m not a fan of deception in dramas, regardless of how valid it may be for the storyline - if the reveal between the leads don’t come soon, the story will start to drag and interest will wane. I feel we’re coming very close to that now.  

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Episode 10

Every time Lyn OST has been played in the scene, I cannot help but to sigh with sadness. I love their date even know we already know that after that heartbreak will followed. When they eat together, I love how Hwi indirectly told Ji Un that she's been thinking the soup and Ji Un said is that so? I feel like Ji Un already read between the line. My heart goes jelly when they are happy spending time with each other. 

The irony of life that Hwi had to asked So Eun to be the wife knowing that So Eun actually like Ji Un (I see you Hwi you just don't want So Eun end up with Ji Un HAHAHA) Kidding aside, I think So Eun will declined it thus Ha Kyung would be the crown princess.

So writer nim can I ask you? When will Ji Un know that Hwi is actually DaMi. My doctor friend told me that Ji Un is a physician and yet he can't see that Hwi is a female LOL. So I think Ji Un's statement to Hwi that he knows ladies is a big lie LOL. 

Ji Un and Hyun also love the same woman. Common writernim tell me how you will fix this????

Leaving the palace is one of the wisest decision that Ji Un made. He's really been so honest since day one. He wear his heart on his sleeve. I want to go inside my monitor and hug both Dami and Ji Un. They are both victims of circumstances. And it's so sad :(

Edited by cess4evah
  • Like 4

Er wait, he is kissing "her" thinking she is a he? How broadminded Koreans are! 🤣 In a sageuk too.

Actually, isn't the easiest way for the CP to leave the palace and elope with Rowoon? KEB has no need to be involved in the palace business, she's not interested in riches and power right?

Btw, I'm not watching but just seeing bits and pieces of comments around. So I may not be making sense 😊

• Haha 3

Episode 10

Waaa, have you guys noticed? All the characters here are having one-sided love (except the OTP but...). My heart was aching for Lee Hyun when he witnessed Ji Woon's confession. All these years he had the chance to confess but he persuaded himself not to cross the line even though he technically knew Hwi's identity. Meanwhile Ji Woon knows none of this and still is willing to go against the common customs and teaching.

I also felt terribly unfair on behalf of Shin So Eun and Noh Ha Kyung. Dam-i knowing that she cannot perform a man's duty still went ahead with courting So Eun does not sit right with me. A woman's whole life will be ruined. This woman will never have a normal life, and will never ever be able to remarry again because she was once the Prince's wife. 

I kept looking for signs whether the King knows Hwi is Dam-i. I don't think he does and that talk about how he felt he couldn't protect his family when he married too early... I don't know if I buy that to be honest. The King seems to know Kim Ga On is his dead teacher's son now from the knowing look he gave.

I was surprised after telling Ji Woon to forget the kiss, Dam-i seeks Ji Woon out and spent some time with Ji Woon. It's like she wanted to fullfil the promise she couldn't keep 10 years ago and bid a proper farewell.

I guess we will have a bit of time jump since Ji Woon decided to leave the palace. Ji Woon decides to leave because Hwi rejects him and the only thing he could do to stop himself for wanting more is to leave. Out of sight; out of mind. He wishes happiness for Hwi however that's what makes this all the more sadder, because Hwi will never be truly happy.

In episode 11 preview, we see Dam-i walking in those red shoes. Hyun was shown to have the red shoes in this episode so is that mean Hyun came clean that he knows Hwi is Dam-i? I'm really hoping the kiss at the end of the preview is a kiss between a man and woman after Ji Woon finds out she is Dam-i. It feels awkward for me the idea of Ji Woon kissing a man (even if she's not).

7 hours ago, gilaswan said:

First question - what made Jaeun think of Dami that he should check the books? Did he even know the name?

Because Ji Woon has mentioned Dam-i to Hyun when young and again he mentioned Dam-i's name in epsiode 9 when Hyun pushed him closer to the river. So Hyun now knows/suspects Hwi = Dam-i.

7 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Are there any stills the show that she does ascend the throne eventually? I’m not a fan of deception in dramas, regardless of how valid it may be for the storyline - if the reveal between the leads don’t come soon, the story will start to drag and interest will wane. I feel we’re coming very close to that now.

See page 1 drama poster in spoiler tag and Eun Bin's character poster. She's in the red King's robe. I suppose the drama shouldn't name its English title as The King's Affection if she didn't become one. That would indeed be misleading. In the manhwa, she did become king.

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

he is kissing "her" thinking she is a he?

Under the influence of alcohol, he kissed her cheek (while thinking she's a he). She kissed him back on the lips after he dozed off. The way the story is told is that Ji Woon falls in love of Hwi/Dam-i regardless of gender. Next episode kiss, I don't know whether he knows. Tune in next week :lenny:

Actually, isn't the easiest way for the CP to leave the palace and elope with Rowoon? KEB has no need to be involved in the palace business, she's not interested in riches and power right?

No because then she is leaving all the court maids and enunchs who served her behind to face death. It is also not in Dam-i's character set-up to do that and that's also how she got stuck in this mess in the first place. She could have run away all these years if she didn't care.

Aiyo, if they elope, there will not be story of a female King to tell. You can also assume they will be hunted down by not only her evil grandfather but many others. Not sure how far they can go. Who is KEB? Do you mean Park Eun Bin?

9 hours ago, Tofu said:

I'm only on episode 9 and after reading everyone's posts, I don't know if I can continue. I might have to wait until next week's episodes are released. :letalQQ:

How do you feel about episode 9? I think episode 10 is ok for me and I didn't shed a single tear (yet). :idk:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 3
41 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

In episode 11 preview, we see Dam-i walking in those red shoes. Hyun was shown to have the red shoes in this episode so is that mean Hyun came clean that he knows Hwi is Dam-i?

My guess is that he would be using the same way he did giving her the ring, he probably only said a wedding present for her, implying the shoes for the bride. Of course Dam-i having the pretty shoes in possession, would be tempted to try it out. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

MTDzeiV.gif

10 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

My guess is that he would be using the same way he did giving her the ring, he probably only said a wedding present for her, implying the shoes for the bride. Of course Dam-i having the pretty shoes in possession, would be tempted to try it out.

But it would be weird that he knows the bride-to-be's shoe size, isn't it? Does Joseon ladies tie their feet too...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’ve just watched ep10 and have a solution to their problem.

Spoiler

They can have a threesome relationship!

1. Whoever PEB marries, how is the wife going to get pregnant? If there is no child, PEB’s position as CP will also weaken eventually.

2. Once Rowoon knows that the CP is female, I think he will want to stay with her and protect her. He won’t feel jealous so it will not be hard for him to see the CP with his “wife”.

3. The potential bride seems like a smart lady. Once she learns the truth, she may be willing to help them. Anyway, in that era, women seldom expects a man to have only one woman.

What do you think of my grand idea? 😂 (Sorry, don’t mean to offend anyone.)

• Haha 4

What do you think of my grand idea? 😂 (Sorry, don’t mean to offend anyone.)

That same thought had crossed my mind :laugh: It will almost be like the movie Frozen Flower. Except that as time passes, the sejabin will probably want a more devoted JU towards her. She probably will be jealous of sharing him with the CP Dam-i. Likewise, Dam-i might not want to keep sharing her man. Although that period allows man to have many wives, the heart of women will always want to be the only one their man is devoted to. 

• Haha 4

MTDzeiV.gif

12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

How do you feel about episode 9? I think episode 10 is ok for me and I didn't shed a single tear (yet).

I actually found it interesting that Ji Woon was allowed to confess his feelings to the Crown Prince without knowing it's Dam-I. This thinking is probably because I'm used to Chinese dramas condemning this type of development in their dramas (homosexual relationships are frown upon and often omitted from the script -- their BL dramas are more brotherhood type dramas instead). I loved that they showed Ji Woon feeling conflicted with his feelings but ultimately owning up to it too. :LarvitarSDab1:

@Chocolate HAHAHA! We still have ten more episodes, anything can happen. :laugh:

• Haha 4

The discussions are getting interesting as we hit the middle point of this drama!

@mademoiselleI reckon the awkwardness you are feeling with Jiwoon kissing Dami thinking she is Hwi is not so much that he thinks she is Hwi and believes he has fallen in love with a man, but that there is deception in this. At least for me, that is what I feel needs to be outed soon, cos the tension in that is waning and I feel that Jiwoon will soon be the fool for not knowing, especially when Jaeun knows. As for what I feel about episodes 9 & 10, I haven't shed a tear yet either. But I have to say, I don't easily shed tears when watching dramas. Their love story is sad, but then, that seems to be the general case of life as royalty in a time where marriages are just political contracts between families. 

@TofuJi Woon strikes me as the sort of character who, after witnessing a traumatic event as a youth and being very disillusioned with his father whom he had admired before, is now someone who just lives for the moment, Carpe Diem as his personal mantra. After all, who knows what tomorrow will bring? Your throat could be slit the very next minute. So while it was taboo of the time, I reckon he feels he has nothing to lose anyway in confessing his feelings for the crown prince. The girl he has been searching for in his youth is supposedly dead and he has no real relationship with his family (nobility be damned) so there's no real honour he desires to protect. After all, he was willing to live his life as a vagrant physician against his father's wish and only entered the palace because his friends' lives were in jeopardy. They're safe now thanks to CP - there's nothing left to be tiptoeing around.

@ChocolateSo you mean to say Ji Woon will impregnate the crown princess instead? hahaha... Wow... the plot thickens for everyone's heads to roll!

About Dami trying on the red shoes, I am inclined to take @ktcjdrama's interpretation of what likely happened - she tried it on because you know, she really wants to live as a girl but never could have pretty things that girls like. So when Jaeun gives it to her, why not try them out? Dramatic licence that the shoes that fit her will fit her future wife too. hahaha... 

• Haha 4
14 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

@ChocolateSo you mean to say Ji Woon will impregnate the crown princess instead? hahaha... Wow... the plot thickens for everyone's heads to roll!

Haha yes!

Because really, what happens after the marriage? What happens on the wedding night? Or even the nights after? Sooner of later, the wife is going to be suspicious right? I see only 3 possibilities:

• Dam makes her so angry she is happy he doesn't visit her (but this is not a long term solution);
  • They are going to have to drug her and another man steps in without her knowing (which would be difficult for Dam to do since she is also a woman);
  • The last is she will have to come clean with the wife and they get a child in from elsewhere.

But that girl already told her father that she didn't want to remain chaste. So no sex forever would probably be an issue for her 😁😜

And aren't Kings (even CP) expected to have many concubines too? I'm surprised that there are no rumours yet that the CP is not sleeping with anyone. Won't his "manliness" be questioned?

20 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

No because then she is leaving all the court maids and enunchs who served her behind to face death. It is also not in Dam-i's character set-up to do that and that's also how she got stuck in this mess in the first place. She could have run away all these years if she didn't care.

Aiyo, if they elope, there will not be story of a female King to tell. You can also assume they will be hunted down by not only her evil grandfather but many others. Not sure how far they can go. Who is KEB? Do you mean Park Eun Bin?

How do you feel about episode 9? I think episode 10 is ok for me and I didn't shed a single tear (yet).

Last time, she did not have a reason to leave the Palace. Now she has.

Granted, there will be no show if she runs away. And apart from her court maids and eunuchs (who are of course important and no decent person will leave at their expense), it is actually not difficult for her to run away. Because she is in reality a girl! Everyone will be looking for a male. She just needs to convert back to her real self as a female.

So if you have seen the manhwa, do you know the ending? Psst, tell me secretly lol!

• Haha 4

@ChocolateActually, I'm trying to understand why Dami is going through with the marriage. Wouldn't the delay as the father wants actually be helpful for her? Why does she feel she has to continue to protect her late mother's wishes and her late brother's dignity? Those are the questions I want answered actually. And her approaching the Minister of Personnel's daughter for marriage... why too? Is it all purely about politics? If so, then which camp is she in? She doesn't seem pro-dad, but she also doesn't seem pro-granddad. And yes, this thing about Minister of Personnel's daughter. I don't get her character either. Started off being quite the bully and entitled lady, but now suddenly so virtuous? I mean, she was absolutely tyrannical with Ji Woon and his friends! That's one character that doesn't jive with me. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3