Master of My Own 请叫我总监 [2022]

@SilverMoonTea nope, I don't have Youku premium, I am watching it on free-source channel, no subs. So I have to guess a bit, not 100% perfect comprehension but enough to know what is going on. Their relationship has taken a backstage, this entire episode is about the ML and her bestie. Wow, the bestie's beau should get an award, for 

Spoiler

being the biggest cheat, really knows how to cover his tracks up!

• Like 4

I have caught up to eps 20. It wasn't as bad as I had imagined with them both trying to make it work with their old time crushes. For one, NM has become aware of her feelings for LJM. Though with ex crush in the picture, NM has decided to cut off the feelings and entertain the possibility of being with Wei Ran. But Wei Ran is such a bland character that I can't even feel any sparks. However the best bit is that by eps 20, LJM clearly likes NM. While everyone was busy watching the movie, he was too busy watching NM and WR. I love jealous LJM :lenny:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I guess NM must have seen his father in LJM bankruptcy. As during her childhood she also endured a lot because of his father failed business. I'm glad she will be with LJM and accompany him to his new journey. 

Me and @movingwheelthink that their love story is amazing. They have friendship, trust, and camaraderie. It's not just an empty romance that often happened in C romcom. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

I can't understand how NM can dates that Creep cum bland SWR, she flinches every time he touches her. After a while she sort of enduring his touches. I got goosebumps watching their interactions. 

I'm holding myself in watching more after eps 24 because I can't wait day by day but after reading all of your comments I have to continue today.....:PsyWhat:

My 2 cents:
Even though LJM is a total son of the biscuit in how he belittled NM, he keeps giving her clues in how to goes thru her difficult projects. But his way is just so painful for NM and me as a viewer. I almost forwarded some torturing scenes when NM just started as broker, I feel her pains.

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

@OsmanthusTea a woman's instinct is to be trusted, the instinct in her tells her that she should be wary of him but she hasn't found a logical reason as to why she should do so yet. I think the big reveal will be coming soon. 

@SilverMoonTea

Spoiler

so the videos on YT that were telling are about to come to pass, that LJM would suffer a temporary setback in his career and she would be there for him. I believe the scenes where she is helping him rebuild his company will be shown soon. Pulling him down a peg or two is the plot device that's sorely needed to put him on an equal footing with NM. She will lift him up and he will come down from his pedestal. And that will be their fairy tale ending!

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

I suppose I sound like a rabid Lin Gengxin fan these days but I am enjoying the way he differentiates himself when he's in different settings with different people. It strikes me that when he's with Yimeng, he's a meek almost submissive little boy as if he's back in the old childhood days. I can see why he respects her so much though. Even if they aren't destined to be together, during their childhood days she brought him out of his shell and help him find some shred of humanity when he's being turned into a machine by his father. On some level he is his father's son and yet there are the benefit other influences. It's nice to see him stand up for his stepmother who is really a caring person doing the thankless task of trying to keep father and son in contact with each other.

As I've said elsewhere the love polygon is really about the fact that there's no more living in the past. What's passed has passed. I'm sure Jiming was sincere when he said he would wait for Yimeng but he was a kid and he's been a different journey to hers. There's no shame in realising that. It's the same with Ning Meng and Su Weiran. While she did acknowledge that he had changed and yet on the basis of the past or at least how she felt about him in the past, she's willing to give him a chance. Plus with added egging on from You Qi, she is more inclined to make that leap despite her own misgivings.

I doubt that Ning Meng is in love with Su Weiran but this experiment isn't about love but about trying to forge ahead away from Lu Jiming and without him. It's no accident it seems to me that she's doing this at the same time as Yimeng's reappearance. Which is a double edged sword. Because of this, Ning Meng realises that she has feelings for Lu Jiming and yet it brings her no joy to come to that conclusion because well, he is purportedly in love with someone else. An awkwardness springs up between them and he can't put his finger on it. In trying to forget Jiming, Ning Meng starts seeing Su Weiran which then helps Jiming to understand why it is he's not jumping for joy at Yimeng's confession. I also think that Ning Meng is rather flattered on some level by Su Weiran's eloquence and gentleness which positions him as Jiming's opposite. It is actually telling that she knows Weiran has changed but I suppose she's a kind hearted person who likes to give people chances. Pity is also a powerful motivation for people doing things they otherwise might not get involved in. NIng Meng is an idealist and has a tendency to root for the underdog. Su Weiran is smart enough to frame himself as one when in all honesty he's just a guy who is bitter about life.

I am of the view that Lu Jiming has long been in love with Ning Meng and all his attempts at keeping her as his secretary was his domineering way of trying to turn her into his wife. I don't think he realised it at the time and he couldn't have because of who he was at the time. He had too much baggage but gradually as he was missing her, he saw her less and less as his secretary or former secretary and more as a woman he liked. There's an element of the Pygmalion story in this. The sculptor that falls for his sculpture. But as he falls for her, he himself is changed by the process. There's a lovely moment in Episode 21 when Jiming receives a call. Ning Meng knows where his ear pods and phone are and hands them to him. This is contrasted with an earlier scene when Jiming is rummaging around the car with Yimeng offering to help. It is symbolic of the shift of affections and a new era of which Yimeng is a bystander rather than an active participant in Jiming's life. Ning Meng is doing this no longer as a secretary but someone who knows him well enough to be a lifetime partner.

As a whole, I like the writing in the show. I am rooting for the leads all the way. Perhaps alarm bells should have rung for Ning Meng when Su Weiran took a trip up the mountain looking for her when he's not even officially her boyfriend. But then it takes a far more suspicious mind than hers to have noticed. The guy is downright creepy.

• Insightful 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

The idiot dare raise his hand against NM! My gawd....well, better sooner than later that she found out about his unbridled anger management issues. I can't wait for tomorrow night. Loving it that she's getting acknowledged at work and that the lady boss is such a great mentor and friend to her.

Am also glad that he had a chance to explain the few incidences where he was seemingly mean to her in the past and her admitting that she realised his intent, even if his method/mannerism wasn't terribly commendable.

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Sad 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@OsmanthusTea @40somethingahjumma Lin Geng Xin has earned a fan here. I was never aware of his portfolio except Princess Agents. but i did not watch it. the period of time it took me from wanting to hurl abuses at him to hugging him is pretty much less. his face looked so sad that my heart broke for Lu Jiming in last episodes.

@IpohBanana apparently this was done from a novel and  I read i MDL earlier that he will get violent with her as per novel and this is exactly what has happened. I was not much surprised. I just want to know how he fits in this whole massacre and what is his point of contention with LJM.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

15 minutes ago, movingwheel said:

@OsmanthusTea i did see that he kept coming in top 100 celebs forbes power celeb list in almost every alternate year. i have not seen his movies. please suggest some of course it should have english subtitles. i will start watching after wednesday.

All of Detective Dee series are good. It's a bonus if you like Mark Chao...:wow: I like Sword Master and For a Few Bullets too. The worst one is Journey To The West, heavily peppered with bad CGI. If you like heavy theme you can go for The Taking of Tiger Mountain, it's kind of all star casts. You can watch it online in a website called 吻 (in English) :PsyWhat:

The slapping scene BTS. That ramrod stiff SWR is such a cutie in real life.....:mine:

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 5

@OsmanthusTea yes he is total cutie... do you know he will be there in wang kai-seven tan one - fight to you as well.. his laugh is hillarious.... Songyun did a  mimicry of it...!!! :D :D

Seven Tan revealed in weibo livestream that Lin Geng Xin went to the set and treated everyone with amazing food....

Regarding watching Detective Dee series , I have been planning to watch it for quite long and now I have double reason to watch - both Mark Chao and Lin Geng Xin. 

It is not even a question whether I like MC , I love MC. :D :D 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

Gee... Episode 27 had me tearing up. 

I love all the conversations that Jiming had with all the people he cared about. Great writing and wonderful performances. Kudos to Lin Gengxin particularly when he said his farewells to the staff of Joint Capital.

It's was also good to know that those three years she spent as his secretary wasn't all tyrannical. The time of reminiscing between them in his office was so sweet.

Happy that bobble head Lemon made an appearance.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I am up to eps 23. If you had asked me in the earlier episodes if I would have wanted LJM to suffer a little for being so harsh to NM then, I definitely would have said yes. But I felt so sad seeing him so heartbroken after he was "rejected" or rather found out that NM is now dating WR. I hope this means that when they do get together he won't ever take her for granted.  Anyway , it is very sweet how he continues to look out for her - I thought it was about time NM had some roadblocks in her career cause it has been too smooth before this ever since she joined Eagle Invst. 

If NM was truly honest with herself , she would know that WR is not the right person for her. The biggest red flag was when she couldn't bring herself to kiss him. Heck even how they started off felt so bland - no fireworks there. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

42 minutes ago, OsmanthusTea said:

Reveal hidden contents

Can I guess that the Big Bad Boss is Su Wei Ran???  :GengarCool:

Spoiler

This is my guess as well. He's always been so shady. And it hasn't escaped my notice that any time NM speculates that there's someone else involved, he sits across from her sipping his coffee like he's trying to stay disengaged from the conversation until he tells her to not think about things anymore or not to get involved. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

Ep. 27 "Thank you all for being so accommodating over the years".... gahhh... those subs leave a lot to be desired.  What LJM really said was, "Thank you all for putting up with my bad temperament all these years."  Sooo much more meaningful!!!  

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Sad 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

31 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Reveal hidden contents

This is my guess as well. He's always been so shady. And it hasn't escaped my notice that any time NM speculates that there's someone else involved, he sits across from her sipping his coffee like he's trying to stay disengaged from the conversation until he tells her to not think about things anymore or not to get involved. 

Spoiler

He noticed straight away there's something between LJM-NM during the drunken night. He is always peered at LJM every time there was an interaction between NM-LJW in the past. He used NM to distracted LJM and he was the one suggested LJM to takes a risk in using his company to saves his Dad's when he talked to LJM in the hospital.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
On 5/15/2022 at 10:46 PM, IpohBanana said:

The idiot dare raise his hand against NM! My gawd....well, better sooner than later that she found out about his unbridled anger management issues. I can't wait for tomorrow night. Loving it that she's getting acknowledged at work and that the lady boss is such a great mentor and friend to her.

btw when they were shouting before the initial slap i saw a guilt flicker thru NM's eyes when WR shouted against her for two timing him with LJM 

somehow i think NM felt a little guilty for that emotionally....if NM had realize from the beginning that its was LJM all along for her...i'm pretty sure she will have never agreed to SWR pursuit from the beginning and agreeing to be his gf....

• Like 2

The recent episodes is like coming to closure on the cycle of 'father and son Lu's relationship' and also 'LJM & NM association'. 

The father and son clearly love each other deeply despite their communication barrier and scar inflicted from his childhood. LJM sacrifice his everything for his father and even taking risk which he normally had always avoided. The father is very proud of him, despite he always criticize everything he do. 

On the funeral, the rain is coming, he looks sad, but most important he have all his good friends with him. And also NM, who just quietly be there for him. I would say LJM might have few friends, but all the friends that he have are very good and loyal and have been with him since childhood. 

Screenshot-20220517-091653-Chrome.jpg
Screenshot-20220517-091658-Chrome.jpg

As of NM and LJM, this relationship is truly withstand poor and richer, and both of them also knew each other strength and weakness. Something that is very rare in this days and age, and I'm glad this drama can bring this romance without too much need of skinship or cheesy lines that normally rampant in C dramas. NM able to see beneath his harsh words , and at times I felt she's like the younger Mrs Liu who stands for Mr Lu. LJM in turn, had multiple times warned NM about SWR, he clearly have more experience with age and he can see people's intention clearer. 

But I do wish they can secure their relationship faster and stopped deceiving themself with "good friends". Now that LJM know she had broke up with SWR, he should really express himself more now. He surely doesn't want to loose someone so precious like her twice. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif