A Gentleman and A Young Lady [2022]

20 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

If it isn't because I am too invested with the kids and our OTP, I would've dropped this drama already. But I guess that's how it is with family dramas, no matter how deranged the plot is, we somehow cannot stop watching it, LOLOL... 

I am watching because of Kang Eun Tak 

takhome816-1643795545692854.jpg

takhome816-1643795545693714.jpg

takhome816-164379554569535.jpg

That smile, and coats, so elegant  :wow:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 2/1/2022 at 5:53 AM, laurisse said:

12 more episodes to go. YG better not waver. They better get married sooner because I’m hoping for some honeymoon and family life scenes. Also hoping for a baby along the way! 

Yes, it would be really silly for the OTP to waver yet again at this stage. Having doubts is one thing, but actually separating would be another.

Also, i was wondering whether Jenni would approve of the relationship or not since she's the only child who doesn't know that YG and DD have romantic feelings for each other. I keep wondering if this is going to be yet another stumbling block for them even if DD's family come around.

On 2/1/2022 at 5:53 AM, laurisse said:

I think Gun deserves someone better but seeing as they are the main couple, they’re probably gonna get together at the very end. My mom and I think SR likes Gun already but just has lingering issues with YG because of her feelings in the past and she likes the idea if being the chairman’s wife. Plus, she’ll get to be with her son. She’s just very keen on the idea of the perfect family she has on her mind because she’s kind of delusional if no one noticed

Totally agree that Gun deserves someone better, but it probably won't happen. And, actually, my mother pointed out that Gun may be well suited to handling someone like SRa since he's grown up around difficult women who are motivated by money. :MewGiggle:

It's also clear that SRa likes Gun. He shows her the care and affection that she definitely did not receive from her fiancee YG. The mystery is the relationship with her ex-bf, SJ's father. Since he was two-timing her, he probably wasn't the most caring bf, however, she liked him enough to sleep with him, so it can't have been all bad? Anyway, SRa can't help but contrast sweet, caring Gun who keeps coming to her rescue with YG who rejected her both when he was in his right mind and when he was "22". I mean, YG actually shoved her away rather than kiss her.

However, I think that SRa is motivated to reject Gun for a number of reasons. Some of that has to do with her remaining ambitions towards SJ, though I wonder if she realizes that by claiming SJ now, she's also opening SJ up to his birth father who will have a field day with the fact that his son was adopted into a rich family. Also, SRa's mother doesn't seem to be able to accept that she almost had a chaebol son-in-law and now SRa wants to date a nobody with no money, and the mother makes her feelings about this well known. However, I also think that SRa feels guilt towards Gun because he is such an awesome man and he does deserve better than the lying, cheating, backstabbing, manipulating woman that SRa has been. I think that SRa is being made to feel guilt about something finally since her character still needs to be redeemed somehow. Ugh, I still don't like her or her thief of a mother.

On 2/1/2022 at 7:23 AM, ktcjdrama said:

Sometimes I think she is just a simple-minded practical person. If she were so money-loving, she would’ve agreed to DB being with SR who loves to pamper people with material gifts. 

Maybe. I agree she's simple-minded, and she is hyper-focused on money. I would say that it was because she has lived lacking money for all of her life, though SRyeon's and SRa's mothers seems to show that money insecurity and money ambition is not something that one can get away from, apparently.

On 2/2/2022 at 1:56 AM, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

I am watching because of Kang Eun Tak 

He is lovely, and I can't wait for him to be lead in his own drama again.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Also, SRa's mother doesn't seem to be able to accept that she almost had a chaebol son-in-law and now SRa wants to date a nobody with no money, and the mother makes her feelings about this well known. However, I also think that SRa feels guilt towards Gun because he is such an awesome man and he does deserve better than the lying, cheating, backstabbing, manipulating woman that SRa has been. I think that SRa is being made to feel guilt about something finally since her character still needs to be redeemed somehow.

It seems that they're going to make her mother accept Gun better than YG because he showed devotion to her. Not sure which episode are you at. There is a scene where she invited him in and "interrogated" him, and seemed to be pleased with his answer.

Agree that Sara probably feeling she is unworthy of Gun. I know she will be redeemed, just because she is Se Jong's mother. I can only hope the redemption be made believable and acceptable for us viewers. If only Sara's focus is on Se Jong alone, it's easier for me to accept her wanting to marry into the family. But time and time again, we were shown how hung up she is with YG, who made it so clear he doesn't love her at all, in fact despised her... She cared about his affection. I wish it's made that she doesn't care for his affection, as long as she could be with her child. I dunno, that seems easier for me to accept her "mission".

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

22 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

But time and time again, we were shown how hung up she is with YG, who made it so clear he doesn't love her at all, in fact despised her... She cared about his affection. I wish it's made that she doesn't care for his affection, as long as she could be with her child. I dunno, that seems easier for me to accept her "mission".

Agreed. SRa has shown time and time again that she's hung up on YG, and has been from the moment that they met. She continues to lie about how he's "betrayed" her, when she lied to entrap him into an engagement.

There are some scenes regarding SJ as the reason SRa wants to marry YG, but even when she's thinking of their moments together, it's YG that she's thinking about, and not SJ. She dumped Gun because she's still plotting to get back together with YG. There is nothing honest or sincere about SRa, other than her obsession over YG perhaps.

Both SRa and SRyeon's crazy mother are pretty ludicrous actually, not to mention utterly delusional, and don't care about anything than getting what they want. In SRa's case, that is YG. In SRyeon's mother's case, it's the shares of the company that she feels she's earned from her years of "service" to YG's father and by bearing him a child.

I think SRyeon had it right when she said that her mother never loved her father, and that her father also never loved or trusted her mother. It is pretty funny how a gold digger like SRyeon's mother is so upset that another gold digger, e.g. DD, may actually get the position that she herself was never able to get, namely being the wife rather than just the mistress of the chairman.

• Like 1

Another frustrating episode as the elders tried all their might to control their adult children's life/future. I kinda get it that it's in the Korean/Asian culture that parents still feel that they have quite a bit of say in their children's life, but the length that DD's parents go to in order to separate DD from YG is really too much! I cried along with them when they have to decide to separate :cry:

I'm just glad that the secret of AK being DD's mother is known by YG at the end of the episode, and next episode by YS. It's time to grab some popcorn and enjoy the show :pandapopcorn:

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

20 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

The length that DD's parents go to in order to separate DD from YG is really too much! I cried along with them when they have to decide to separate :cry:

My only reaction is bewilderment :heiboi:

A grown up woman being locked up by her father is really so surprising for me.😳🥴

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Like 2
On 2/6/2022 at 6:06 AM, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

I am a bit late, but really is it logical for a parent to lock their child to prevent them from dating a guy?

Actually, there have been some extreme examples of this in the US. It seems to usually be to stop one's children from marrying outside of one's race, culture or religion. These parents brought their children to the US looking for a new safer life with better economic circumstances, but seem to want their children to stay within a certain bubble which is hard to do. Some extreme cases of this actually led to fathers killing their children in order to "protect" them.

Even though I realize that DD's father would not go to that extreme, I found the scenes of parents locking up their fully grown adult daughters hard to watch. Also, I'm not entirely sure that SRa's mother wouldn't kill SRa in order to get her hands on the company shares, so even though SRa's mother is written almost as a comical villain, I just feel sad watching her scenes.

Anyway, it's interesting that my mother feels sympathy for the parents in this drama rather than being horrified at the lengths the parents are shown to go to in order to control/protect their daughters. Whereas I feel horrified that such behavior may be considered acceptable, even by a parent to their child, especially if the child is fully grown up and supporting themselves.

On 2/6/2022 at 8:59 AM, ktcjdrama said:

I'm just glad that the secret of AK being DD's mother is known by YG at the end of the episode, and next episode by YS. It's time to grab some popcorn and enjoy the show 

Yes, I always thought that it was messed up for DD's father to keep her mother a secret from her. I mean, I guess I could understand when DD was a child, and his reasoning was that he didn't want her to know that she had been abandoned, but she's 27! And, then DD's father insists on keeping the mother a secret even after DD finds out the truth of the abandonment. At that point, it seemed to be more about DD's father's pride or spite, rather than any actual caring for DD.

Also, thought that it was messed up for Anna Kim to get close to DD and be her confidante without telling her that she was her mother. Shouldn't her first loyalty to be to her daughter and telling her the truth, rather than to the husband who has gone on to a new life and a new family?

I'm really happy that YG knows the truth, and will realize how Anna Kim has messed around in his affairs.

Though I would be even happier if YG would finally recover all of his memories so that he understands how much SRa and DR lied to him and tried to manipulate him into marriage. SRa just remains such a pathetic figure, still clinging onto some hope that she can manipulate/trick/force/guilt YG into marrying her. Ugh. And, with that ex-bf of hers hanging around wanting their son back, does she really want to claim SJ as her own and then be forced to have to give him up to the loser ex-bf? Just ugh.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Anyway, it's interesting that my mother feels sympathy for the parents in this drama

It is indeed interesting to know that those feelings do exist and there are real people who can relate to them. I guess even in Korea many elderly viewers are able to relate and support the parents but we just don’t get to hear about it because those commenting on the internet are younger generations. I guess I now can be more forgiving of the writing then... 

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

, and his reasoning was that he didn't want her to know that she had been abandoned, but she's 27! And, then DD's father insists on keeping the mother a secret even after DD finds out the truth of the abandonmen

I can never understand his reasoning. He didn’t want DD to find out and become sad/devastated because of it. But he couldn’t see that DD was already so broken and been crying so much about this matter. In order to “protect” her, he was doing exactly things that hurt her the same 🙄

• Like 1

MTDzeiV.gif

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

In order to “protect” her, he was doing exactly things that hurt her the same 🙄

Yes, exactly! That's why it seemed that in the end, it was more about his feelings and his pride as much as it might have been about protecting DD.

Though, it seems letting DD go with her mother is still better than marrying a rich, older man with children who loves and supports her. Though, he's willing to let it happen as long as DD doesn't find out that Anna is her mother? Ugh.

So glad that YG finds out that Anna is DD's mother.

• Clapping Hands 1

The best part about episode 40 is that in the preview for episode 41, DD finally founds out that Anna Kim is her birth mother. Whew. I'm glad that's finally out of the bag. DD's father has just become totally unreasonable and ridiculous. I really don't get his character, and why they had to make him so petty and petulant is beyond me.

Thank goodness for Se Chan and Se Jong. Seriously, nothing worth watching if it wasn't for them.

• Like 1

Finally! DD will find out that Anna Kim is her birth mother and that her father has been lying to her all this time. My favorite part may have been the preview for the next episode, however, as YG yells at DD's father that DD is not the father's possession to do with as he will, and that he YG will be responsible for DD from now on.

The father has been getting on my nerves for a good long while now, as has Anna Kim. The part I most objected to is both of them lying to DD, basically trying to manipulate her for what they think is "best". With good intentions or not, it dehumanizes DD, or at refuses to recognize that she has agency in her own life. Given that it's just their respective wills that wanted to be satisfied rather than any greater good, this part of the plotting did not seem well thought out. To be honest, I thought that they ran out of actual story a good long while ago, and now, they're just throwing anything into the plot.

And isn't it about time that YG finally regained ALL of his memories? Also, SRa is still a whining, annoying character who is just not redeemable. I basically ff everytime SRa comes on the screen.  Not even Gun is enough to make me watch any more of revolting, lying, delusional SRa. I guess SRyeong and DB are getting back together, so I'm sure we'll have another seen of DR pitching yet another screechy fit.

Hmm, I think I'm ready for this drama to be over.

• Clapping Hands 1

:shocked2: Oh my goodness!  I can’t believe the rush in this drama!   SeRa going to call out young guk as the daddy !  He doesn’t even remember will make sooo much drama!  This is even better storyline than Anna Kim being Dan Dan mom.  This drama :Party01:  Started!  Whew this is good!  glad I stayed on and kept watching.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mizv said:

:shocked2: Oh my goodness!  I can’t believe the rush in this drama!   SeRa going to call out young guk as the daddy !  He doesn’t even remember will make sooo much drama!  This is even better storyline than Anna Kim being Dan Dan mom.  This drama :Party01:  Started!  Whew this is good!  glad I stayed on and kept watching.   

There is just no end to SRa's lies. Part of me wonders if she's really mentally unhinged and really believes her own lies? Especially when she's raging about how she had been YG's fiancee and what did she do that was so wrong. Doesn't she realize that when YG regains his memory is when it will seriously be all over for her?

Also, I assume that baby is actually Gun's? That really sucks. I was really hoping that Gun could escape unscathed. Unless perhaps Gun could have the baby and meet a nicer woman who will love him and his child, while SRa goes to a mental asylum for the criminally insane? I think fraud is still a crime.

My only consolation is that there aren't that many episodes left, and I hope SRa being on the warpath again to try to get YG means that at least YG and DD will make an unbreakable team. If DD's father tries to kidnap her or something for her own good, that will take this to new levels of ridiculous, especially since I agree that DD's father and Anna Kim both need to take a chill and leave DD alone to figure stuff out for herself with respect to how she wants to deal with them since they both lied to her pretty egregiously.

I want to hit YG in the head myself to make all of his memories come back. Sigh. Then again, I guess it keeps the final episodes from being too boring. Maybe.

• Like 1

The "move-DD-to-US" plan is so ridiculous for me... Like she couldn't buy a plane ticket to fly herself back to Korea if she misses YG and the kids so much. Are they going to confiscate her passport while she is there? Or maybe control her finances/allowances? Not let her have a mobile phone? Pfft, YG could fly on a private jet there if he wants to. PSC must not have heard of LDR before, he or the writer must not have known that people can video call daily now at very low cost. Like distance can stop YG-DD from "seeing" each other. It's really them keeping to the promise of breaking up that matters most regardless where they are.

• Like 1

MTDzeiV.gif

@Tofujust told me that there is a 2 episode extension to this drama, so there are 10 more episodes to go through. I wonder if that's why they had SRa reject Gun yet again and decide to go psycho. Here is a link to an article talking about this drama and the extension.

https://blog.kocowa.com/trending/young-lady-and-gentleman-extended-for-two-more-episodes/

• Shocked 1

I normally watched at double speed, but for that bomb dropping scene at the start, I watched at normal speed to get the full dramatic effect :laugh: 

PSC could never learn that he in fact is the one who hurt DD the most. When DD told him that she probably will hate him forever for deceiving her, I went "Take that!" -- Poor DD, I pity her when she said when she was little she was abandoned by her own mother but now, she is abandoned by her own father. 

Stupid Sara... since when a cancelation of engagement needed both party to agree? Where's the logic in that? Just one party not wanting to go through with it means the whole thing is off :laugh: This delusional witch. She also got herself pregnant out of wedlock again, and this time stooping so low to use her pregnancy and force a marriage to happen. I never thought that we needed YG to regain memories of his 22-yo amnesiac self, but looks like it has to happen so that no more lies can be made by Sara. Um, can we please have Se Jung never never ever ever find out that she is his birth mother?? That's my last wish. I don't even care about whether or not Gun and Sara got together. Gun needs to get far far away from her. To think that I supported them before this...

• Like 1

MTDzeiV.gif

14 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

PSC could never learn that he in fact is the one who hurt DD the most.

Exactly! I felt for DD when she told that no matter how much she begged for information about her mother, her father had held back and kept lying to her that her mother was dead. And, then he planned to ship her off to another country with that very mother without even telling her. That is so messed up.

I was also happy with YG telling SC off that after hurting DD the way that he did, he was now trying to treat her like his possession rather than being considerate of her.

Stupid Sara... since when a cancelation of engagement needed both party to agree? Where's the logic in that? Just one party not wanting to go through with it means the whole thing is off :laugh: This delusional witch. She also got herself pregnant out of wedlock again, and this time stooping so low to use her pregnancy and force a marriage to happen.

Yes. Stupid SRa. She's completely delusional. So, logically speaking, she's hoping that YG never regains his memories since then he'll know for sure that she tricked him into the engagement, but that she's able to guild YG into marrying her anyway.

Btw, this is such an old-fashioned way of thinking, but it's also a non-chaebol way of thinking. In these times, children born out of wedlock are just children born out of wedlock, and not necessarily mandatory to get married. People will still choose to not get married if they don't feel that it's right. Also, I think actual rich people don't just get married because they've gotten a woman pregnant. They might pay child support, or even take the child away from the mother, but it doesn't mean marriage and happily ever after. Also, how stupid does SRa have to be to think that just marrying a rich man ensures that she'll get a happily ever after. We're talking about a guy who when he thought he might like her still literally pushed her away rather than kiss her.

Um, can we please have Se Jung never never ever ever find out that she is his birth mother??

Yes, please! I suppose SJ will have to know at some point who his real birth parents are, but I still think that shouldn't happen until he's old enough to handle it. I feel sorry for him since he's got such rotten birth parents, but nurture seems to be winning out over nature, so that's a relief.

I don't even care about whether or not Gun and Sara got together. Gun needs to get far far away from her. To think that I supported them before this...

I stopped supporting this couple a LONG time ago, when I realized that SRa was going to be a villain until the very end. The only happy ending I can think of is that SRa gives birth to Gun's child, and then has a horrible accident which takes her life. I'm sure Gun will be sad, but at least the children will be protected.

• Clapping Hands 1
4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Btw, this is such an old-fashioned way of thinking,

I think this writer been living in a cave for some time... The plot of sending DD to US is so old! This is not a snail-mail time anymore, where you can only long and pine for someone under the moonlight. Just tap on the mobile phone and you can see the person's face and talk already.

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

how stupid does SRa have to be to think that just marrying a rich man ensures that she'll get a happily ever after.

Too stupid... adding greed on top of it. Each time she seems a bit redeemable, she turned back to her old ways. She should be happy to see Se Jung is being loved so much, but no, she keeps thinking how she could be with him, when the boy never misses her. Scared of her, in fact... So it's her greed to be with him, instead of wishing him well. 

• Like 1

MTDzeiV.gif

17 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Just tap on the mobile phone and you can see the person's face and talk already.

So true! Also, DD and YG are capable adults, not children who have no control over their environments. Even in the US, DD would have had feelings for YG which probably would have kept her from dating other men, and YG would have longed for DD even while she was away. I can see separating teenagers maybe so that they have a chance to pursue their separate dreams. However, YG said it well when he said that he would support DD in any dream she might want to pursue. It's a serious discounting of DD's feelings and agency for her parents to think that she would lightly forget YG and the children. And, really, would DD be better off with another man who might be more selfish about what he wants rather than considerate of what she wants?

17 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Too stupid... adding greed on top of it. Each time she seems a bit redeemable, she turned back to her old ways. She should be happy to see Se Jung is being loved so much, but no, she keeps thinking how she could be with him, when the boy never misses her. Scared of her, in fact... So it's her greed to be with him, instead of wishing him well. 

I will say that it's the one thing that this writer has done that I agree with. In these family kdramas, it's frequently shown that blood trumps everything else. In that case, SJ should have been drawn to SRa. However, he's never demonstrated any special affection for SRa, and then her actions caused him to be afraid of her.

With 10 episodes left in this drama, SRa is running out of time for being redeemed. Though, to be honest, I don't care if she's redeemed or not. I'm now only worried about her claiming SJ as his birth mother and thus traumatizing him.

• Like 1
On 2/20/2022 at 8:38 PM, stroppyse said:

Also, I assume that baby is actually Gun's?

Naw.  It’s definitely Guns,  YG can’t stand SeRa touching him.  He even tried to kiss her.  From what I can recall he Kinda ended up gagging. :lol:

18 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I think this writer been living in a cave for some time... The plot of sending DD to US is so old! This is not a snail-mail time anymore, where you can only long and pine for someone under the moonlight. Just tap on the mobile phone and you can see the person's face and talk already.

Honestly kdramas need to remove this from the storylines.  am here in the US and it’s not all that.  I actually would prefer be in SK or somewhere else :smile:

37 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

With 10 episodes left in this drama, SRa is running out of time for being redeemed.

There is only 10 left!. ??  Well guess there will be a lot of nonsense running into walls storyline before a “happy ending”.   

Btw, just realized the girl that plays Jae Ni. Also plays Kim Min chae in 2521.  This girl is on nonstop roll!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mizv said:

Btw, just realized the girl that plays Jae Ni. Also plays Kim Min chae in 2521.  This girl is on nonstop roll!!

I was kind of wondering if her role in this drama was reduced because she had to film 2521 as well.

2 hours ago, Mizv said:

Honestly kdramas need to remove this from the storylines.  am here in the US and it’s not all that.  I actually would prefer be in SK or somewhere else :smile:

I think there are still a lot of people in SK (and elsewhere) who want the opportunity to come to the US. Even though it may not be all that, it can still be more opportunity than at home. It still says something that overseas travel and education is such a desirable spec to have for people in kdramas, I guess.

Still think that Gun is waaaay too good for SRa, even if they made a baby together.

Still, I agree with you that it's a tired trope and should be retired.

• Like 1