Alchemy of Souls 환혼 [2022-2023]

JenL

The moment JW took the blue scarf fron JG to cover himself was so cool! Whoa.. LJW slays that scene perfectly! And their fight scenes are always great. Their CGI made it more magical. The tansu thing is done epic. I just cant stop watching this part many times. 

So MD real soul is still inside the body. And it means the two souls merged into one. I rhink in the beginning Naksu didnt pick MD to shift her soul. It was supposed the other girl among them. But somehow it happened she entered MD's body instead of that girl. Like MD's soul grabs JW from shifting body with JG. I think it was MD's soul also picks Naksu's soul during the alchemy of soul was happening. 

Ah, I like the progress in this episode. Where is my ep 9??? Gotta wait another week moree 😔😔

• Like 4

Ep 7 & 8 confirmed my 3 assumptions:

- about Naksu's father who was a soul shifter who turned wild. It wasn't him.

- I felt that the real Mudeok was still alive, she is and glad that she helped UK 😌

- the connection between Naksu and Mudeok is real, 2 souls in one body

While watching ep 8, I found out that the Queen might be the real Danju and it was confirmed right after in the ep 9. This is what I like about this drama, the things are thrilling, suggested and the things are revealed very quick. You don't have to wait for 8 episodes to confirm your thoughts 😂 it's not annoying, the rythm of the drama is so good. You have assumptions about something, then you get the truth then next... and yet it's so thrilling

I love UK and Mudeok's relation, so beautiful. Uk revealed a lot about his feelings toward her in the last episode. He was so cute when he gave her this Jade Stone. I also like he rejected the girl from Seo's family, the one who thought that he was following her. He's cute only with Mudeok 😏

The scene where Uk fought against the Crown Prince was awesome, his tansu was 🤩

Sorry for this...

I also ship Mudeok with the Prince Gowon 🙈 he's so funny and not yet aware that he's attracted by her so this is so cute. Their relationship cat vs dog is so entertaining. 

Well we have to find one match for Mudeok and another one for Naksu 😂

But Uk is still so special ❤

Yul saved Mudeok and now knows her real identity... I wonder when he will tell her that he knows. I like him also but I don't think that something romantic will happen with Mudeok. But if it happens it's ok, I like to be surprised 😂

I love the cast really, their chemistry is just so beautiful. I love the cast on cam and off cam

Somin is doing an extraordinary performance, being able to switch her voice, her dialect, her looks, her facial expressions, her tone of voice... During the scene of the cursed mirror, when she played the illusions who met Yul and the Prince Gowon, wow, she was scary 😧 I loved the scene when we saw all the illusions of Mudeok mocking her. The scene was really well made. Proud of my lovely Somin 🥰 I understood why she disappeared while filming this drama. Usually when she shot a drama, she's still present in SNS or via her vlogs but during AOS she disappeared, I missed her so much... anyway I understand now 💪

New behind the scenes

Edited by SsomGem
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
54 minutes ago, SsomGem said:

Ep 8 & 9 confirmed my 3 assumptions:

I only have until episode 8. Is episode 9 out already? Episode 8 ends with the fight against the Crown Prince and Wook deciding to join the sorcerers at Jeongjinrak.

I also like MD with the Crown Prince, though. I'm going to be optimistic and think that both MD and NS will make it through. :pandapray:  I think Wook should be with NS since that is who he is really responding to. I know that Yool and NS had a flirtation when they were younger, but I don't think that is going to go anywhere.

I also thought it was cute how surprised MD was at realizing that Yool, Dang Gu, and the Crown Prince had all come to her. She went from being the mysterious lone assassin to having a host of people who care about her. Not to mention having a devoted and loyal disciple like Wook by her side.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I only have until episode 8. Is episode 9 out already? Episode 8 ends with the fight against the Crown Prince and Wook deciding to join the sorcerers at Jeongjinrak.

I also like MD with the Crown Prince, though. I'm going to be optimistic and think that both MD and NS will make it through. :pandapray:  I think Wook should be with NS since that is who he is really responding to. I know that Yool and NS had a flirtation when they were younger, but I don't think that is going to go anywhere.

I also thought it was cute how surprised MD was at realizing that Yool, Dang Gu, and the Crown Prince had all come to her. She went from being the mysterious lone assassin to having a host of people who care about her. Not to mention having a devoted and loyal disciple like Wook by her side.

Haha ep 7 & 8 not 8&9 sorry 🙈 I'm already eager to watch next ep

• Like 3

Just realised I haven't written my thoughts since the first week :lettalKWA: I'm enjoying this series, but it shows at a weiird time where I live and my other series all show right after this, so I end up forgeting to write about it.

Episode 3-8

I loved the episodes this week! Admittedly, the last few weeks, I did find the pacing a bit slow because it's obviously a longer drama with an ensemble cast so they have more time to set up the complicated fantasy elements of the storyline and Jang Uk couldn't be too strong without a period of training from Naksu. While it totally made sense, I guess I was enjoying it slowly, but I wasn't hooked yet. This week I really felt that all threads of the story were becoming more tightly woven, especially with Naksu's past revealed,  bits of Mu Deok's identity hinted at, Jang Uk finally mastering Tansu and having some of this own strengths to play with and the different mage houses having their own agendas revealed or teased as well :BulbaOWO:

So now it seems confirmed that Mu Deok is probably the eldest daughter of the Jin family....but I wonder how she ended up how she was and also how they didn't recognise her at all? :thinking: I mean, for all the magic of the Jin family, you would think that they would be able to detect if a person was their missing daughter right? Maybe they will go for some less obvious twist, but I think this show seems to go in a direction that makes you think, but also flows in the way you think as well. :heiboi: I actually really enjoyed that evil magic mirror story. Maybe I just like the snow white, evil queen vibes and the sinister mirror world/ projecting illusions because I'm a sucker for fairytales and other fantasy things like Lord of the Rings, but I think it really establishes the magic of this world :pandawizard: Sure there's the alchemy of souls, but there's also lots of other magical, fantastical and dangerous things in this world to challenge our heroes....even though the alchemy of souls seems to be the focus, it exists in a wider world of magic as well.

Speaking of alchemy of souls, I loved that scene where Mu Deok protected Jang Uk from having his soul shifted. There was something really beautiful about the way she shielded him. I saw a question on twitter about the 2 souls of Naksu / Mu Deok....if there is ever a seperation, will Jang Uk like Naksu, whose personality he has been interacting with so far or Mu Deok who is the face/ body he has become so familiar with? :thinking:

The humour in this series is so much better than I initally thought. I laughed so hard at the chaste tea - both when Jang Uk was upset that he has drank so much and then when he wholeheartedly encouraged his friends to drink it. Also thought it was funny this week when they had the Naksu scarf trend...this is so reflective of human nature in real life :laugh: And then there was also the scene where Jang Uk soooo bluntly rejected that girl. I like it when the hero is not fickle or a push over...and that showed his very strong convictions :lol:

Lastly, the acting and chemistry is sooo good from all the cast. I'm just always impressed by LJW's balance of the comical with the more emotional or tender scenes with Mu Deok. Similarly, I like when JSM is the haughty and proud Naksu...and then 2 minutes later she switches to 'flithy Mu Deok' and is trying to play dumb/ suck up to everyone. Mu Deok also must have saved a country in her last life because she has a harem of handsome guys just 'thinking' about her (though denying their crushes)...though the most important one is Jang Uk of course who is already staking his claim, haha :GrowDerp: 

Edited by JenL
  • Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

8 hours ago, SsomGem said:

Haha ep 7 & 8 not 8&9 sorry 🙈 I'm already eager to watch next ep

You had me all eager for the next episode!

1 hour ago, NiteWalker said:

also…what with their loose costumes?…and all the colors….

It's supposed to be a fantasy, set in a time and place that never existed in our world. So, I think they went to the effort of making the outfits vaguely "historical", but not identifiable as any specific period or culture that we know of. It is definitely not Joseon, Goryo, Gogoryeo, Silla, etc., and I don't think that they are Chinese-based either.

14 minutes ago, JenL said:

but I wonder how she ended up how she was and also how they didn't recognise her at all? 

That's what I was wondering as well! How old was she when she was kidnapped/lost? I suppose if she was kidnapped as an infant, then maybe they wouldn't recognize her? And, I suppose you don't think that your daughter is going to go being a servant so perhaps they just dismissed her without even looking at her.

16 minutes ago, JenL said:

I mean, for all the magic of the Jin family, you would think that they would be able to detect if a person was their missing daughter right?

Well, MD was already able to get into the place where they stored their relics which door can only be opened by a member of the Jin clan. Cho Yeon mentioned MD having gotten into the storage room, but her mother dismissed it as CY herself probably having left the door open.

18 minutes ago, JenL said:

.if there is ever a seperation, will Jang Uk like Naksu, whose personality he has been interacting with so far or Mu Deok who is the face/ body he has become so familiar with?

The question that I'm curious about as well!

18 minutes ago, JenL said:

Mu Deok also must have saved a country in her last life because she has a harem of handsome guys just 'thinking' about her

LOL. I'm not sure what I found more humorous. All the guys "thinking" about MD and coming to see her, or MD's extreme surprise that they would all come to see her. It was a good idea to have MD's eyes be sensitive and blindfolded so that her increasing surprise as she heard each guy's voice could be seen. It was both funny and touching.

• Like 6

@stroppyse hmm…. However the costumes seems badly done….

it’s almost like hire getup for some dress up party….the commoner getup was a lot better …. 

okie setup and cgi apart… the cast is pulling it off good though…. I like the light in somin’s eyes …that the only cgi I like so far… the Swiss of the swords is nice and the cgi during when the king demand the soul alchemy to be done was good….

so all is not lost I guess hahaha

• Like 5

I like the light in somin’s eyes …that the only cgi I like so far…

I thought that was really well done, too! It also explained the drama poster with JSM's blue eyes. I also liked that they at least made an attempt at explaining why no one else could tell that they were blue, i.e. using the "lightening" medicine. It's a fantasy world, so the medicine can also be fantasy. :lmao2:

However the costumes seems badly done….

it’s almost like hire getup for some dress up party….the commoner getup was a lot better

I don't disagree. I think the costuming is kind of blah. I'm just saying that they seem to have gone for a generic "historical" feel without actually using any historical garments. Makes me wonder why they couldn't just put them in pants instead of the robes.

I do like the sword fights though. I think they are well done and fun to watch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Makes me wonder why they couldn't just put them in pants instead of the robes.

infact the way they garb the assassins look good don’t your think? And all the soldier in black that after it was good too….

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I do like the sword fights though. I think they are well done and fun to watch.

yes yes the sword is good and the fight in between is pretty good too….at least it doesn’t show too much flying which seems very abnormal 

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

infact the way they garb the assassins look good don’t your think? And all the soldier in black that after it was good too….

Yes, the black outfits do look good!

And actually, I rather like the use of scarves in this drama, from NS' in the pre-MD incarnation to Wook's use of JG's blue scarf.

15 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

at least it doesn’t show too much flying which seems very abnormal 

Well, there is some branch walking which isn't that realistic, but at least they aren't completely just flying around, I guess.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, stroppyse said:
13 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

also…what with their loose costumes?…and all the colors….

It's supposed to be a fantasy, set in a time and place that never existed in our world. So, I think they went to the effort of making the outfits vaguely "historical", but not identifiable as any specific period or culture that we know of. It is definitely not Joseon, Goryo, Gogoryeo, Silla, etc., and I don't think that they are Chinese-based either.

And probably since it's fantasy sometims the story will trigger some controversy if it's seen as something distorted from the real culture or history. So changing the costume completely opposite with the real history they can have more space to be different and expressive with their fantasy tale. 

At first, I am quite not used to see them but the more episodes went off it becomes usual to me.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Well the real Naksu will come back in season 2, how? Fantasy allows everything... 

As Somin said, she played the character of Naksu who was locked in Mudeoki's body.

I just wished that we could have seen both of them until the end of the drama. But it won't happen. 

I have to enjoy this season with my lovely Mudeoki 🥰

Hope we'll see the real Naksu and Mudeoki in the end of season 1.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
3 hours ago, SsomGem said:

Well the real Naksu will come back in season 2, how? Fantasy allows everything... 

As Somin said, she played the character of Naksu who was locked in Mudeoki's body.

I just wished that we could have seen both of them until the end of the drama. But it won't happen. 

Does this mean that JSM won't be in Season 2? Or that JSM will be the real MD in Season 2?

It makes it an even more interesting question of who the various guys are actually drawn to, MD or NS?

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Does this mean that JSM won't be in Season 2? Or that JSM will be the real MD in Season 2?

It makes it an even more interesting question of who the various guys are actually drawn to, MD or NS?

Jung Somin's agency made a statement that she signed only for season 1 and the actors already started filming season 2. So obviously she won't be in Season 2

I wonder how things will turn for my lovely Mudeoki 🥺

Edited by SsomGem
  • Sad 3
52 minutes ago, SsomGem said:

Jung Somin's agency made a statement that she signed only for season 1 and the actors already started filming season 2. So obviously she won't be in Season 2

I wonder how things will turn for my lovely Mudeoki 🥺

Now, I have to hope for a good send off for MD. Ugh. I know that it's fantasy and all, but I also don't see how NS' original body can return when it had been burned. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time the Hong Sisters wrote something that was nonsensical.  I have to admit it also explains a few things such as why we keep seeing NS' original form sometimes when MD is doing sorcery.

I guess that also ends the speculation of who the guys are actually drawn to, MD's form or NS' mind since it's ultimately NS who will survive into Season 2. I do hope that when they realize the situation, there is some thought for MD herself.

Oh well. I have to admit that I'm feeling sad about this right now. JSM has done an amazing job as NS/MD. The actress depicting NS is going to face a lot of challenges, though I also suspect that the drama may focus more on the struggle for the kingdom rather than focusing on NS' story as much as it has in Season 1.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

@stroppyse Yes her body was burned but sorcery and fantasy can make the impossible possible... 

I do hope that the script writers took good care of Mudeok. A lot of viewers are attached to her. 

As you said, the struggle of the kingdom might be their priority... Still, things have to make sense for each character development if they want to catch people's interest for season 2. Though I'm not sure that I will be part of them. 

I don't know why this news came out now but I will try to enjoy AOS until the end of season 1

Edited by SsomGem
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

@stroppyse Last night I was across with a certain post telling that Season 2 wont be with JSM and back to the Naksu's actress. I was quite unhappy to welcome season 2. Just a simple reason they already make me used to current MD/Naksu and then they will back with the first one. I do hope they will make a good ending for season 1. Since season 2 will only consist less episodes than S1. Probably this will be the spin-off story that only focus on old Naksu or the return of her to the mortal world. Well, whatever it is. I'll just enjoy while it's good. 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 6
34 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@stroppyse Last night I was across with a certain post telling that Season 2 wont be with JSM and back to the Naksu's actress. I was quite unhappy to welcome season 2. Just a simple reason they already make me used to current MD/Naksu and then they will back with the first one. I do hope they will make a good ending for season 1. Since season 2 will only consist less episodes than S1. Probably this will be the spin-off story that only focus on old Naksu or the return of her to the mortal world. Well, whatever it is. I'll just enjoy while it's good. 

Yes, I just got the news on some of the posts here and on Jung So Min's shrine. All of a sudden, I'm really not excited for Season 2. Hope that Season 1 is done well enough that it can stand alone at least.

Who knows? Perhaps I'll become vested in the potential bromance between Wook and the Crown Prince? They can unite over their grief for MD/NS.

I think the weird part about this is that I was starting to become vested in the romance between Wook and MD/NS, but now I'm totally not interested in the romance at all. It's weird timing for the announcement, though perhaps they were trying to head off disappointments from the viewers at losing JSM for season 2.

• Like 5
On 7/11/2022 at 2:27 AM, SsomGem said:

Sorry for this...

I also ship Mudeok with the Prince Gowon 🙈 he's so funny and not yet aware that he's attracted by her so this is so cute. Their relationship cat vs dog is so entertaining. 

Well we have to find one match for Mudeok and another one for Naksu 😂

But Uk is still so special ❤

I ship them too. Their chemistry is awesome. 

I was unsure how Namsuk and UK could ever be a couple because she was so cold to him. 

I can’t even speculate anymore since I am so very much confused. As the story develops my opinion is always changing. It is hard to pin point THE REAL VILLAIN. 

Jin Mi acts like he is the boss but he isn’t the boss. Jin Mu sais two important things which had confused me so much that I stop watching it. But seing how this drama has gotten so many good reviews and was dying to see what happens next. I binged watch 3 episode.

I wonder did anyone find this scene interesting 

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488611c8223b36ff0511c2

I Loved these scenes so much

Spoiler

I expect this couple to get married and have a baby 

• Like 4

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Who knows? Perhaps I'll become vested in the potential bromance between Wook and the Crown Prince? They can unite over their grief for MD/NS.

Oh I love the bromance part! No need romance, cuz I dont expect from it that much.

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

It's weird timing for the announcement, though perhaps they were trying to head off disappointments from the viewers at losing JSM for season 2.

What's happening behind the scene? Lols. I was really unhappy to hear this news. It was just out of the blue. Why dont they tell us from the beginning. Sigh. It was hard to ship JW with another different Naksu. I wasn't really into the romance here but MD played by JSM already have a place in my heart. You know it was hard to be unfaithful. 

Btw that early Naksu is the one who played as Ye Seul in Law School. No wonder she looks familiar. 

59 minutes ago, UnniSara said:

I expect this couple to get married and have a baby

These two are making me cringe when they starts flirting each other. 🤣😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2