I'm gonna miss Jong Suk. It didn't feel like there was enough of Jong Suk at all.

I'm not upset with scriptwriter killing off Miho. I think it's a sacrifice that drives Chang Ho to be (and continues to be) the Big Mouse, for a greater purpose. However, I do think Miho's death is such a big price to pay on Chang Ho's behalf—i.e. for him to become a competent person in the end.

As I've voiced before, Gong Ji Hoon and that corrupted Prosecutor are just as bad and yet both of them got away with breaking the law. That said, Big Mouse probably has his eyes on them and they may meet their ends some time in the future.

Chairman Kang's son's subplot though... felt completely short and unnecessary. Is it just a red-herring in the end? I had it all planned out that he would return (and I was intrigued to know who might cameo as him) for Chang Ho to hit two birds with one stone by challenging Mayor Choi's inheritance and Chang Ho can lock him in jail for murder. But as I write this down, I realise it wouldn't be possible to jail him since Chairman Kang would have destroyed all evidence.

Anyway, it was an entertaining drama. Glad for Jong Suk as the ratings hit above 13%. However, it falls short as being a memorable drama by Jong Suk. I think it's nowhere near the hype/love I felt for dramas like I Hear Your Voice, W and Romance is a Bonus Book.

Fc3pVcqaUAUUe38?format=jpg&name=large

Fc3nMCvacAAcCrA?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 2

@ktcjdrama@mademoiselle@abs-oluteM

I finished watching the finale this morning and like ktcjdrama, I spent a few hours trying to decide if I liked the ending or not. I think for the most parts, it was a satisfactory finish. Did it make me want to pump my fist in the air and say, “Yeah!”? Nope. But neither did it make me feel like cursing at the writers. I think in all fairness, there was some level of realism to it. We lost Miho and as much as that was sad, perhaps I didn’t get a strong enough sense of their relationship to want to cry buckets for the couple. It was heartbreaking to see an orphan lose his only family of choice, but it wasn’t heart wrenching for me, y’know? I think the moment her nose started bleeding, I accepted she would possibly not survive and wasn’t surprised she didn’t. There’s been no element of fairytalism in this drama at all. 

I do feel like while Changho apparently won this game, I’m not so sure it was a real victory. Him being saddled with being Big Mouse just seems a bit sad. Did he really want to spend the rest of his life being Robin Hood? And with Doha out of the picture, is there anyone else for Big Mouse to bring down? 

I felt like there was a lot more story telling to be had but they tried to squeeze it all into 16 episodes. Right down to the last 12 minutes of the show, the show still hadn’t shown any signs of winding up. Then suddenly, everything finished through a series of news reels and voiceovers. That, I didn’t like. 

Some unfinished bits to the story -

• what of Chairman Kang’s serial killer son? Agree that this subplot was pointless, or if it did have a point, they ran out of time to complete it, cos now I’m left wondering - what about the unjust death of that inmate? Would no one clear his name? And what about the inheritance he was supposedly to challenge?

• the Mayor’s position - did Changho finally get appointed Mayor with Doha’s death?

• Doha’s death - how do you suddenly collapse and die after one dip in the radioactive pool? So he drowns? Collapsed into the water dead? In fact, I wonder too why Minho’s cancer developed so quickly when the prisoners took months if not years to develop theirs.

• The murders! No Park’s daughter, Hyejin, Chairman Kang - will no one uncover their murders??

As for Gong Jihoon - was he really a villain less bad than the others? He was a spoiled brat for most of it, but I do think he never got any blood on his hands. I guess his saving grace was that at the end of it, he stood against Doha. Though he seemed to have come into that position more by chance than by any real overt action on his part. He never really seemed smart enough… Even allying with Changho was because he had no other choice. But he was willing to humble himself for it. Prosecutor as well. So perhaps Changho as Big Mouse might be able to make some good out of some people…

Edited by gilaswan
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

18 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I think for the most parts, it was a satisfactory finish. Did it make me want to pump my fist in the air and say, “Yeah!”? Nope. But neither did it make me feel like cursing at the writers. I think in all fairness, there was some level of realism to it.

You said it well @gilaswan This is exactly how I feel too. This drama is set to be unlike the drama tropes we're used to. There's no "happy ending" so to say, but the story shows what it want to tell ~ LCH becoming and being BM. The romantic in me want to see CH and MH go back to their old time of being ordinary husband and wife after all is said and done, but with what he had experienced and people he encountered, that really is not possible anymore. 

everything finished through a series of news reels and voiceovers. That, I didn’t like. 

I wondered whether the show was supposed to be a 20-episode one? but I guess watching the remaining played out slowly in more episodes will be anti-climatic after CDH is dead? As for him, a lot of viewers expressed wanting to see him get his punishment and serve in jail. I actually thought that the way he died was rather apt and poetic. He never cares about people being affected by the water, and now he died because of that very water. I think I like it...

• what of Chairman Kang’s serial killer son? Agree that this subplot was pointless, or if it did have a point, they ran out of time to complete it, cos now I’m left wondering - what about the unjust death of that inmate? Would no one clear his name? And what about the inheritance he was supposedly to challenge?

It seems like the plan from the start is that he's never to be found. Yes, no justice for the inmate, because, back to the realism of the drama again. If he were to challenge the inheritance, it's just creating a new problem to solve the problem of CDH. The inheritance I guess would just go to Hee Joo, although I wondered if she has to bear any consequences of the company doing all those irresponsible thing.  

• the Mayor’s position - did Changho finally get appointed Mayor with Doha’s death?

I am going to assume so. As for CDH's death, I think it's more for the dramatic purpose? I am going to assume he died from drowning also, instead of the coughing of blood. Funny thing is, while he is in the water, there's no way he swallowed any water, right? So it's more of skin exposure to the water? LOL... does that even make sense?.... Just like Miho, she was drenched in the water, whereas the workers are all covered up, which probably explained why the effect on them was so much more slowed down..... ??

I am going to agree with your thoughts about Gong Ji Hoon and Prosecutor Choi. Gong kinda grew on me actually. He is just loud, not smart. I enjoyed watching him. I'm kinda surprised (pleasantly) that he and wife were the one to rescue Hee Joo from the mental institute. Which then reminded me of that head nurse, urgh! 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

• 1 month later...

@mademoiselle I’ve finished!

Well, Lee Jong Suk looks mighty fine here. He has the height and carried all the suits and coats really well. Not to mention he never really got too badly beaten up in prison. (And his complexion is quite exceptional too haha.) His transition from an unsuccessful lawyer to suddenly being so wise in prison was a little unbelievable but ok, people will survive.

Yoona and LJS also made a very compatible couple appearance wise. Yoona, I was a little irritated by some of her actions, as it seemed like she could make things worse. But each time, she was quite instrumental in finding some useful clue so I put that down to the way it was presented.

On the overall, the drama was not exceptional but watchable. The plot kept moving so that was interesting. I agree too that Choi Doha died too quickly. After escaping justice so many times, we want to see him suffer through the illness! How can he discover he is sick then die within a minute ???🙄

But regarding CDH and wife

Spoiler

Their sex language = Let’s have a child 🤪

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Chocolate Oh yayyy! You're done! Yeah, Yoona's character is OK until she went into the tunnel. Sigh. And the writer was cruel enough to kill her off.

Choi Doha's death - I'm thinking maybe he was exposed to a concentrated amount hence death straight away or at least after a several times. Not sure. Don't care anymore by that time ahahaha! My only gripe is why the other one got away with every thing when he's just as bad as the others.

Told you LJS has got charm. Agree with his bloody long legs and height and the suit. It had to be his modelling experience, seriously. You should check out Kim Woo Bin's recent IG post too. All that legs and in suit. So 😍.

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 6:18 AM, mademoiselle said:

Daesang - Lee Jong Suk

MBC really loves LJS. He won the daesang for 'W' as well, and his acceptance speech then was forgettable, to say the least. Hope he did better receiving this one since he's older, more experienced, etc. I guess I would be a little surprised that he got the daesang again, but then again, I can't remember watching any MBC dramas at all this year.

I will admit that he has the height and the effortless charm at wearing clothes, and it's a bonus that he can also actually act. :smile: I think I've watched all of his previous dramas, so not sure why I couldn't seem to get into this one. Anyway, congrats to LJS on racking up another daesang.

• Like 1