Surprise surprise I'm back @JenL 😂

I'm here more for the comedy, was lured back after seeing SJK hillarious cameo and that little brother got smacked in the village for asking a drinking bottled water 😂 KSH expression when he saw Vincenzo Cassano and the wind blowing his tie was a big LOLs... 

I'm still not really into the romance, but what can go wrong with bonus of KSH showering scene here & there 🤣

• Haha 7

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Posted (edited)

Mouse has highlighted all the good scenes I absolutely loved. I’m relieved that Hae In ousted Eun Sung at the press conference. Kim Soo Hyun and Kim Ji Won's portrayal of the couple's interactions are making me craving for more OTP scenes. I really don’t want them to be apart at this stage.

The leaf scene was so adorable! I chuckled when I saw Hyun Woo leaving a leaf trail to Hae In’s room. What I appreciate about Hyun Woo is his innocence when it comes to Hae In. He’s sincere, unpretentious, and doesn’t boast. It’s endearing how we keep discovering new and great things about him—like his boxing skills. Of course, I know this type of guy doesn’t exist in reality, which makes me even more enamoured with him!

Kim Soo Hyun’s acting has always impressed me, but in “Queen of Tears,” he’s reached new heights. Every time he emotes, I feel it deeply. Especially in the latest episodes, when Hae In repeatedly says “we are divorced… you need not do this…”, his teary eyes convey his emotion to me.

I like Da Hye’s backstory adds depth to her character. It’s clear she genuinely liked Soo Cheol. Her disappointment when he didn’t recognise her shows her feelings. I believe they’ll reconcile later. 

16 hours ago, Mouse said:

The part where she's aggressively undressing him to check his body for wounds

THIS! I DIED and return from death. I have rewatched it so many times I lost count. I kept experiencing disappointment every time I get to the part where Hyun Woo stopped Hae In from undressing him further. It was very well done, though. I love how Hae In is all, "Zip it!" Hyun Woo's mild temperament and obedience towards Hae In adds to the humour of the scene.

And here's the cut, I'm rewatching again ... the BGM is also :laugh:

4 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Surprise surprise I'm back @JenL 😂

I'm here more for the comedy, was lured back after seeing SJK hillarious cameo and that little brother got smacked in the village for asking a drinking bottled water 😂 KSH expression when he saw Vincenzo Cassano and the wind blowing his tie was a big LOLs... 

I'm still not really into the romance, but what can go wrong with bonus of KSH showering scene here & there 🤣

Welcome back. And I really really wish you'd stay with us till the end.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Two Good News

1st — Kim Soo Hyun has been nominated Best Actor in TV Drama category for "Queen of Tears" in the 60th Baeksang Arts Awards. It'll probably be a tough battle between Namgoong Min (My Dearest), Ryu Seung Ryong (Moving), Im Siwan (Boyhood), and Yoo Yoon Seok (A Bloody Lucky Day).

GKm-umFbcAEhXKG?format=jpg&name=medium

2nd — Episode 10's rating reached 19%! A 3% increase from episode 8. It is now ranked #2 for tvN's highest rating drama (formerly the position was held by Reply 1988). 

CB-01.gif.af70e27de3f3f165476253f7bb111a

• Party! 6

The best thing about the ending is that it makes HaeIn's character consistent. The HaeIn we were introduced to does the threatening and not the other way round.  :smug:  She was badass from the start and even in such dire situations she continues to be so. I would have been so annoyed if she had "given in" to ES in order to save Hyun Woo, which is sometimes the cliche sort of route that writers take. I lost count of the number of dramas where a  smart & savvy FL is reduced to one who suddenly made bad decisions and needs to be saved.  

Omma finding out about HaeIn's condition made me teary. Anyway, it is about time her own family finds out too. 

I have to add that KJW should have been nominated for the Baeksang - she's superb here.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 4

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Meet Yourself

Loved this weekend's episodes! @Mouse summarised my thoughts exactly! Again I say, I am someone who rarely cries watching movies or tv shows, but by the end of ep. 10, I was in tears. I feel Hyunwoo's pain, despair, anxiety, shock, love... For everyone else who thought SJK's cameo character outshone Hyunwoo, I just have to say, the fact that despite Hyunwoo being such an impressive person he could still cower and be diminished in the presence of Vincenzo, just points to exactly how brilliant KSH's acting is. He is just that good. 

Throughout ep 9 and much of ep 10, I was starting to get annoyed by the supposed "love line" between Eun-seong and Hae-in, but ah! How the tables have turned on him! No wonder the twists and turns and twists again! She's smart. If it's out on such a public platform, how would Eun-seong be able to recover from that?! I'd like to see. She's not gonna die so easily - there are 6 more episodes to go. I just wonder how quickly her health would have deteriorated by the next episode. And as frustrated as we might be with the couple's lack of absolute transparency with each other, I can see why she would keep this from him - his worry for her might have put him in harm's way given how he just might confront Eun-seong too. 

Grace's comment about how transactional the "other team" was is telling in how relationships were managed and so easily discarded. That's the weaknesses of ultimately very myopic reasons for the gains they want to make - while the plan took 20 years to come into effect, the way they very quickly and readily discarded people when they deemed their goal accomplished just shows the flawed foundations they held. If nothing else, Hyunwoo really did keep Queens on the straight and narrow as best as he could. Therein lay the difference. Although, I have to say Grace being the first to betray them seemed a little quick. They were never really on the same page. Even son is ready to stab mum in the back. 

C'mon grandpa, hurry up and wake up already! You've got to give your statement to be able to drag the fraudulent mother-son team down!

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 5

Whoah, ending episode 10 was awesome! Their tears, their acting r so good and natural. Just their eyes speaks a lot meanings. It serves you YES. Yes, YES! 😄

I feel like this drama is kinda of family weekend drama that I love.

Now, since she announced her health condition to public I wonder what her mom reaction later? I bet she will be the last one knows it and regrets the most. 

Poor SC, I don't want him to get back with DY, but he sincerely loves her and it seems she has change of heart for him. But please correct me since I ffd some scenes of them, does her son isn't SC's real son? Or she said it to make him stop looking for her? Well, even it started with a lie but they live for some years as married couple. That connection won't end that easily. 

Ommo, ommo @mademoiselle special episodes? But I dont want to expect too much since they ever said about this before during OBS days. 

No wonder they r so popular, at first I didn't think that these two will have this much chemistry playing comedy melodrama but they did it so well! Even their screentime together r pretty short each episodes but when both r together, they r just electrifying!

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Haha 5
On 4/8/2024 at 3:42 PM, mademoiselle said:

Mouse has highlighted all the good scenes I absolutely loved.

22 hours ago, gilaswan said:

@Mouse summarised my thoughts exactly!

I agree with you both. Love love ep.10. Especially the unexpected ending that beats the cliche, and lovely epilogue which tells us how Hae In made up her mind about what to do. 

On 4/8/2024 at 3:42 PM, mademoiselle said:

Hae In repeatedly says “we are divorced… you need not do this…”,

This is so funny. She kept pushing him away, drawing boundaries, yet she is the one doing all the wifey thing :laugh: Minding the little scratches on his face, sending him off for work.  You're divorced, no need to do those things, Hae-in...

23 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

1st — Kim Soo Hyun has been nominated Best Actor in TV Drama category for "Queen of Tears" in the 60th Baeksang Arts Awards. It'll probably be a tough battle between Namgoong Min (My Dearest), Ryu Seung Ryong (Moving), Im Siwan (Boyhood), and Yoo Yoon Seok (A Bloody Lucky Day).

I personally think he should win it out of all the other actors. I love NGM more than KSH, but he really is delivering so well in this drama. 

23 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

The best thing about the ending is that it makes HaeIn's character consistent. The HaeIn we were introduced to does the threatening and not the other way round. She was badass from the start and even in such dire situations she continues to be so. I would have been so annoyed if she had "given in" to ES in order to save Hyun Woo, which is sometimes the cliche sort of route that writers take. I lost count of the number of dramas where a  smart & savvy FL is reduced to one who suddenly made bad decisions and needs to be saved.  

Yes! I was fist pumping when she did that. That's the way to go about being threatened or blackmailed. Let's die together, not me alone... haha...

18 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

No wonder they r so popular, at first I didn't think that these two will have this much chemistry playing comedy melodrama but they did it so well! Even their screentime together r pretty short each episodes but when both r together, they r just electrifying!

I really love this pairing so much. Both are so great in their art. They complement each other so well. It's been a while my shipping heart has rested, and they made me want to sail a ship again...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

This is the sweetest confession I have ever seen in Kdrama land. It was pure and full of sincerity.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ww1y8w601x3swmy23n

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d72odh82g5i62yheuizs

Eun Sun is so manipulative. When Da Hye asked about hubby, he lied to her because he wanted her to be as miserable as him. 

Eun Sun sees Hae In as a trophy. His attachement comes from Jealousy for his mom attachment.  When Hae In did not act like a spoiled brat after he saved her,  his perception of her changed and his twisted love bloom. I don’t think he has ever been love and he

Mo Seul Hee- I think this character also has twisted feeling toward Man Dae( Queen’s Chairman). She doesn’t want to kill him but wants him to be under her control because his family have no respect for her. 

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

On 4/8/2024 at 4:42 AM, mademoiselle said:

The leaf scene was so adorable! I chuckled when I saw Hyun Woo leaving a leaf trail to Hae In’s room. What I appreciate about Hyun Woo is his innocence when it comes to Hae In. He’s sincere, unpretentious, and doesn’t boast. It’s endearing how we keep discovering new and great things about him—like his boxing skills. Of course, I know this type of guy doesn’t exist in reality, which makes me even more enamoured with him!

YES!! I love that despite his many accomplishments and talents, he doesn't brag about them. I love that it only comes out when others talk about it or when something happens where he needs to let them know about it. And YES, I love his innocence when it comes to Hae In. I think it's also what Hae In loves about him. The scene where she passes by him in the bus stop after his confession and seeing him just smile so innocently and sweetly.. I think she fell hard for that. :pandalove:

And the way Hyun Woo just obeys Hae In... lol. After he comes home wounded and she tells him to open his mouth and he literally stops talking and opens his mouth.. so cute!

On 4/8/2024 at 4:42 AM, mademoiselle said:

Kim Soo Hyun’s acting has always impressed me, but in “Queen of Tears,” he’s reached new heights. Every time he emotes, I feel it deeply. Especially in the latest episodes, when Hae In repeatedly says “we are divorced… you need not do this…”, his teary eyes convey his emotion to me.

And this! I was talking to my mom the other day and kept saying that Hyun Woo's acting has leveled up and every time he's on screen, I can't help but totally be drawn to him and even the way he says "I love you Hae In" in episode 10... I cried! It's the way he says it.. all full of emotion, sincerity and softness.. and the way he looks at that door.. his eyes all teary and innocent. 

He portrays his character really well. A very capable, intelligent, and mature man but with the innocence, sensitivity and softness of a boy.. ugh! SO SO GOOD

5 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I agree with you both. Love love ep.10. Especially the unexpected ending that beats the cliche, and lovely epilogue which tells us how Hae In made up her mind about what to do. 

I love this. From the very beginning, despite Hae In being cold and aloof, I never once felt that she didn't love or care about Hyun Woo. There were scenes of her telling Soo Cheol not to humiliate Hyun Woo, of her staying up in her room waiting to hear him come home, of her looking at photos of him from that interview they did in the beginning of episode 1, her showing up to meet him at the restaurant even though she had a memory/time lapse that caused her to miss it.. she still showed up.. and the fact that he was the first person she went to when she needed to go to the hospital for her diagnosis. He was her person from the very beginning. 

Even Hyun Woo knew that Hae In didn't wasn't angry about the divorce. She was just hurt because she had never considered even walking away from him and to learn that the only reason he chose to stay was because she told him about her illness. That's why she lost all desire to live after finding out about the divorce. I think the only reason she's even agreeing to it is to set him free.

So now that she knows he loves her really and truly, she's showing that she's willing to give up everything too because he matters more to her.  I love that in that interview they did together, when she was asked about her goals, everything she mentioned was about her growing her empire so-to-speak.. but eventually what she really hoped to be able to do was to travel and just spend time with Hyun Woo. 

I really can't wait to see the next episodes.. I wonder what Yoon Eun-sung is going to do now that Hae In has made it clear that she's not going to agree to his demands.

• Heart Eyes 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

I’m rewatching the latest episode again and totally love the scene where Hae-in dresses his wounds. KSH just acts so well there, down to the flinches in pain when she puts ointment on his lips right after he tells her the wounds don’t hurt. Aigoo… the interactions between them were so cute. And yes, I love that Hyun-woo as a character has these skills and traits that are just so understated - which is probably why he makes an excellent special forces soldier - but he does humble brag to Hae-in. And it’s so brilliant that she tells him she’s not impressed by any of the supposed fighting skills he has cos she’s actually worried for his safety. Love it! Cos that’s love. 

Something I don’t understand - why does Hyunwoo’s mum get angry with him when he revealed that he decided to call off the divorce when he found out she was terminally ill? Wouldn’t that in general have been the right thing to do anyway?

Oh. And I loved that at the press conference, Hae-in still speaks of Hyunwoo as her husband, not her ex-husband. Love it!

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

Something I don’t understand - why does Hyunwoo’s mum get angry with him when he revealed that he decided to call off the divorce when he found out she was terminally ill? Wouldn’t that in general have been the right thing to do anyway?

@gilaswan His actions was despicable, she read between the lines. He decided not to get divorce when he found out she was going to die. After she told him she was going to die, he became more attentive at home and at the job. Hyun Woo was misleading Hae In with her feelings. 

• Like 5

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

9 hours ago, Mouse said:

And the way Hyun Woo just obeys Hae In... lol. After he comes home wounded and she tells him to open his mouth and he literally stops talking and opens his mouth.. so cute!

Yes to this! This scene is one of my faves to rewatch coz it's so well-done. And then I couldn't help but think to myself Soo Hyun has a big mouth. :laugh:

9 hours ago, Mouse said:

And YES, I love his innocence when it comes to Hae In. I think it's also what Hae In loves about him. The scene where she passes by him in the bus stop after his confession and seeing him just smile so innocently and sweetly.

There are times I thought why is he so gullible when it comes to Hae In. I think it's only because it is Hae In. He's just put all his heart out to trust/believe her. And that makes him "cute".

The epilogue where he was drunk and she tells him his special move is cute and flutters her heart. That's another cute scene. He should just use it again to soften her up, LOL. I guess indirectly he kinda did with the confession. Do you guys think she open the door?

9 hours ago, Mouse said:

And this! I was talking to my mom the other day and kept saying that Hyun Woo's acting has leveled up and every time he's on screen, I can't help but totally be drawn to him and even the way he says "I love you Hae In" in episode 10... I cried! It's the way he says it.. all full of emotion, sincerity and softness.. and the way he looks at that door.. his eyes all teary and innocent. 

He portrays his character really well. A very capable, intelligent, and mature man but with the innocence, sensitivity and softness of a boy.. ugh! SO SO GOOD

Consider he doesn't even do many projects, how did his acting leveled up again? Curious to know! Another thing I liked and learned about Soo Hyun through Queen's BTS is he has been doing a lot of ad-libs in this drama, adding more depths and personalised Hyun Woo further. I see a lot of comments praising KSH hasn't aged and he was still the same as the alien from MLFTS in 2013. It's actually not true. He has aged, and it's quite visible on his complexion. But yes, when his hair is up, he's a man but when the fringe is down, he can turn into that innocent boy. The power of hairstyle.

4 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I’m rewatching the latest episode again and totally love the scene where Hae-in dresses his wounds. KSH just acts so well there, down to the flinches in pain when she puts ointment on his lips right after he tells her the wounds don’t hurt.

Thank you for pointing this out! I thought it was only me who thought he acted well there with "flinches from the pain". I just find myself really liking the way he portrays that scene, fliching etc. Glad to know we all take pleasures in seeing this. Haha!

I think it's because Hyun Woo was so adamant on divorcing, saying if he doesn't he will die. So, the expectation is for him to go through with it even if Hae In is ill. In another perspective, Mum sees it as he isn't being honest.

A lot of people have issues with Hyun Woo's reaction after learning of Hae In's condition. But I gave it some thought and think this is all very relatable. There are times when we all feel trap in a relationship and want out, thinking "breaking up" will just end all the miseries, and then there are times we think, let's just endure a little bit more. That was Hyun Woo. He was suffocating and unhappy, but in so much fear the family would revenge on him that it's more logical as a human being's behaviour that he'd feel the "relief" at first about Hae In's illness. Not really registering the depth and seriousness and his own deeper feelings until some thing actually happens to her. 

What is everyone's thought on this?

Oh. And I loved that at the press conference, Hae-in still speaks of Hyunwoo as her husband, not her ex-husband. Love it!

Hahahahaha!!! There had been a debate about this the next day when the subtitles came out. 😆 There is a discrepancy between Netflix's C-sub vs Eng sub. So the fans asked the Koreans. Technically, Hae In meant "ex-husband" because there were two Korean words in the sentence that refers husband and Director as past tense. However, the Koreans explained that the way Hae In said it adds a bit of ambiguity; meaning, if she wanted to be clear he's her ex-hubby, she could have.

@Chocolate Are you still watching?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

8 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

A lot of people have issues with Hyun Woo's reaction after learning of Hae In's condition. But I gave it some thought and think this is all very relatable. There are times when we all feel trap in a relationship and want out, thinking "breaking up" will just end all the miseries, and then there are times we think, let's just endure a little bit more. That was Hyun Woo. He was suffocating and unhappy, but in so much fear the family would revenge on him that it's more logical as a human being's behaviour that he'd feel the "relief" at first about Hae In's illness. Not really registering the depth and seriousness and his own deeper feelings until some thing actually happens to her. 

What is everyone's thought on this?

I gave this a lot of thought as well. I think mum got upset because it was dishonest. Hyun Woo decided to stay in the marriage for the wrong reasons.. when she said, "and here to think that I only pitied you..." to me, that meant she understood that pain it must have caused Hae-In to learn that he would have asked her for a divorce had she not beat him to the punch so-to-speak. Think of it from Hae-In's perspective, she's thinking he wants to be with her through the hardest time of her life, he tells her he loves her and does all these sweet things out of the blue.. and then she finds out he wanted out. Ouch.

I think that in the years that followed their loss of their baby, Hyun Woo saw only the negative side of his situation - being married to a woman who was cold and ambitious, being told by her family what to do and where to go.. that he felt trapped and suffocated. So the only thing he could think of was to end the marriage.

There is that scene in Germany.. when Hae-In finds out about the divorce and holds up her phone to show him the papers.. and she asks him to deny it and he doesn't... and then he says softly, out of the blue, "I found it.. I found our lock.. it was still there.." That line struck me actually.. I feel like that's him saying, "yes, I thought I wanted out but I found what I thought we had lost.." He had already realized at that point that he still loved her and despite having the opportunity to now walk away, he doesn't want to.

The reason I say this too is because there's a scene (I can't remember if it's the one where she had that memory lapse and forgot what happened in Germany) where she's telling Hyun Woo that she's concerned about forgetting things.. and he says to her, "we all forget sometimes.. even I forgot..." Again, for me, he's telling her he momentarily forgot how special she was to him but now he's realized it.

20 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Consider he doesn't even do many projects, how did his acting leveled up again? Curious to know! Another thing I liked and learned about Soo Hyun through Queen's BTS is he has been doing a lot of ad-libs in this drama, adding more depths and personalised Hyun Woo further. I see a lot of comments praising KSH hasn't aged and he was still the same as the alien from MLFTS in 2013. It's actually not true. He has aged, and it's quite visible on his complexion. But yes, when his hair is up, he's a man but when the fringe is down, he can turn into that innocent boy. The power of hairstyle.

Yes! My mom and I were saying the same thing! How he doesn't do many projects and yet he has a knack for choosing the right kind of projects and his acting gets better and better. I didn't know he has been doing a lot of ad-libs in this drama and if that's true, count me impressed! He seems to have a knack for understanding the characters he portrays. Yes, the way he portrays emotions and shows it is amazing but you know what else I find amazing? It's the little gestures. Like that scene where he's out drinking with his friend and his complaining about being cute when he's drunk.. honestly, I don't know how one can look at him behaving like that and not find him totally adorable. When he says, "she said I'm cute when I'm drunk.. that it's my special weapon.. I was known even in Yongdu-ri for being cute as a pear.. why am I like this?" and you're watching him and you agree! You're like, '"yes, you are adorable you sweet little baby.."

And that scene where he gifts her the shoes! When he makes that flirty "suzy" half smile but he does it in a way that is both cute and awkward at the same time. 

Honestly, he deserves to win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 4

47 minutes ago, Mouse said:

There is that scene in Germany.. when Hae-In finds out about the divorce and holds up her phone to show him the papers.. and she asks him to deny it and he doesn't... and then he says softly, out of the blue, "I found it.. I found our lock.. it was still there.." That line struck me actually.. I feel like that's him saying, "yes, I thought I wanted out but I found what I thought we had lost.." He had already realized at that point that he still loved her and despite having the opportunity to now walk away, he doesn't want to.

The reason I say this too is because there's a scene (I can't remember if it's the one where she had that memory lapse and forgot what happened in Germany) where she's telling Hyun Woo that she's concerned about forgetting things.. and he says to her, "we all forget sometimes.. even I forgot..." Again, for me, he's telling her he momentarily forgot how special she was to him but now he's realized it.

Yes, the "lock is still there" feels like there is a secondary meaning as "our love is still there". I also had the same thought about Hyun Woo saying "We all forget... even I forgot" to mean he forgot how much he loves her.

For me, I believe Hyun Woo has already realised he still loves Hae In when he was camping with his friend, and all he could think of is her—the moment he acknowledges and stop denying his feelings was when he watched the interview she said she wanted to go travelling with him again. The realisation led to him flying to Germany.

51 minutes ago, Mouse said:

I didn't know he has been doing a lot of ad-libs in this drama and if that's true, count me impressed!

The hand position he did under his armpit and line "I was born this way (drunk/cute)" was an ad-lib and paying homage to Kim Ji Won's aegyo in Fight For My Way. The other ad-lib you already know was Suzy's signature rabbit teeth (flirting) smile. The latest one is him saying "She doesn't do it to me" in response to Hae In smacking Soo Cheol. I believe there are more, particularly the cameo he had with Oh Sung Je. 

The Suzy smile - LOL - I just thought it was hilarious that he brings his former co-stars' acts/gestures into the drama. The script writer is also doing a little bit of paying homage/referencing to her old projects. The bit about Hyun Woo saying he will recognise his first love, Cheon Song Yi said the same thing in an interview in MLFTS (re: Do Min Joon when he saved her 12 years ago). We both know, both Song Yi and Hyun Woo did not recognise their first love. Another funny link is, I don't know if it was intentional, the comic book owner's name is Hong Hae In in MLFTS. From Soo Hyun's appearance in Yoo Quiz On the Block, it was mentioned that the 3 characters in the comic shop were asked to do a cameo. Looking forward to the cameo just to see how much parody (is this the right word) will be added into Queen.

6 episodes left. I'm starting to feel sad. Hahaha!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 3
8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Watch this. Two versions of the confession scene. I liked the second more including the extra footage that he had so much more to say, but didn't, and turned around. That also gave context to Hae In didn't open the door and he didn't enter.

Thank you for sharing this!

I wonder, though, if the next morning, Hyun Woo has any recollection of him doing this. 

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. 

• Like 5

@Mouse I think he remembers. From all the drunken scenes shown, he seems to be a "clear-headed drunk". As in, he's still in control and knows what he's doing when he's drunk. In the past, he's made sure to hang out long enough to sober up before he returns home.

@abs-oluteM So satisfying to see Hyun Woo punches Eun Sung. Everything he says is just infuriating. What gives him the right to "judge" Hyun Woo doesn't love Hae In, you know what I mean? Their marriage was actually built on love. He didn't even know their history.

I'm going to take a guess that Eun Sung showed up at Hyun Woo's apartment to speak to Hae In, and Hyun Woo gave them some privacy—hence in the beginning he asked "Are you done talking?" and the "I'm being patient..." implied he doesn't like it, but is respecting Hae In's wishes.

ARRGHHH... why can't this be aired on a Fri / Sat slot :cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 4/10/2024 at 3:18 AM, gilaswan said:

The way I read this is Hyun Woo's first thought when Hae-In said she had 3 months to live was - Yippee. I don't need to divorce the hard way and suffer all the consequences the family could impose, when I get my freedom when she dies! And that's why his mum was angry with him for thinking that way.

That said, I think the drama has been very successful in developing their relationship from that extreme. In addition to that scene, he was also plotting to get himself into Hae In's will. So Hyun Woo's character was really quite despicable at the beginning, no matter how much we can understand his situation. If not for KSH (both his face and acting ability), I'm not sure if there is another actor that can rescue the character and be so loved now.

On 4/10/2024 at 7:43 AM, mademoiselle said:

@Chocolate Are you still watching?

Hahaha yes I am watching and up to date. But I'm just a little better than @SilverMoonTea lol. And I realised that apart from CLOY, I have not been able to finish MLFAS and LOTBS.

When I looked at the episodes on Netfix, I realised each episode is almost 1.5hours long! And I remember reading the S pages for CLOY and some people complaining the episodes were too long - I feel like that sometimes haha. Then I also remember those people being told off by CLOY fans that they can stop watching if they don't like it. So I keep my mouth shut here hahahaha.

• Haha 5
  • Clapping Hands 1
15 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

That said, I think the drama has been very successful in developing their relationship from that extreme. In addition to that scene, he was also plotting to get himself into Hae In's will. So Hyun Woo's character was really quite despicable at the beginning, no matter how much we can understand his situation. If not for KSH (both his face and acting ability), I'm not sure if there is another actor that can rescue the character and be so loved now.

@Chocolate I did not even think about the will. I always assume he was just happy that he can get his freedom after her death nothing more. 
I did not suspect he wanted to be in her will.  Although in his mind, he was biding his time until he dies, his every action are not what you expect of someone waiting for freedom and I romanticize it. Another reason, I did not think of the will is because HW was still wiling to divorce her and he signed a Prenup before marrying her, so I don’t think he cared for the money. His fear of her family destroying should be the real motive of his happiness when she died. 

I dislike drama that are 1:50 too. But for this drama it makes perfect sense 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7q0qpxnra1q5ndx6dch

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

@UnniSara Yes, agree that the will was not a very important factor for him. He would have happily taken the divorce without the money just to get free.

But the fact that he was susceptible to his friend's suggestion and even tried to get into the will, AFTER he learnt of her terminal illness, well, that speaks for the kind of person he was at that moment.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 9:26 PM, Chocolate said:

Hahaha yes I am watching and up to date. But I'm just a little better than @SilverMoonTea lol. And I realised that apart from CLOY, I have not been able to finish MLFAS and LOTBS.

When I looked at the episodes on Netfix, I realised each episode is almost 1.5hours long! And I remember reading the S pages for CLOY and some people complaining the episodes were too long - I feel like that sometimes haha. Then I also remember those people being told off by CLOY fans that they can stop watching if they don't like it. So I keep my mouth shut here hahahaha.

MLFTS was probably my favourite of Park Ji Eun's work until Queen of Tears. That said, I do believe it was because 11 years ago, the idea of a South Korean drama's male lead being an alien was refreshing. Not to mention, the CG was considered fairly "new" to kdrama. Do Min Joo was also the kind of quiet character I adore. 

Spoiler

However, once the hype and obsession worn off, the show was definitely less than perfect. The cinematography deteriorated because the filming conditions were still very bad then. The actors looked so haggard near the end. Kim Soo Hyun even suffered from bloating and bad complexion due to lack of sleep (very evident in episode 14 when he was furious at the villain). Did not like the worm hole explanation, too. I find LOTBS was something Park Ji Eun trying to re-create the hype using the same story-telling structure as MLFTS, but she wasn't very successful with it. Somehow, Mermaid and reincarnation just weren't as interesting as the concept of alien. LOTBS made me saw the flaw in JJH's acting. LMH isn't good with comedy, and both got the visuals but lacking in chemistry.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:26 PM, Chocolate said:

On 4/11/2024 at 9:41 PM, UnniSara said:

@Chocolate I did not even think about the will. I always assume he was just happy that he can get his freedom after her death nothing more. I did not suspect he wanted to be in her will.  Although in his mind, he was biding his time until he dies, his every action are not what you expect of someone waiting for freedom and I romanticize it. Another reason, I did not think of the will is because HW was still wiling to divorce her and he signed a Prenup before marrying her, so I don’t think he cared for the money. His fear of her family destroying should be the real motive of his happiness when she died. 

On 4/11/2024 at 9:50 PM, Chocolate said:

@UnniSara Yes, agree that the will was not a very important factor for him. He would have happily taken the divorce without the money just to get free.

But the fact that he was susceptible to his friend's suggestion and even tried to get into the will, AFTER he learnt of her terminal illness, well, that speaks for the kind of person he was at that moment.

My take:

I don't think Hyun Woo was really after her will. When Grace told him Hae In didn't leave him anything in her will, I believe he felt hurt and more disappointment. They married for love; she promised she won't make him cry. His disappointment with Hae In grew as we saw from his perspective, she didn't support/back him up when her family was bullying him. The will strengthen his belief she doesn't love him (=supported by his outburst what they said in the interview is all a lie). He also believes he doesn't love her anymore. In his shoes, it's not unreasonable for him to think he deserves something from her will. Maybe think about it from a daughter-in-law's perspective instead. She's told she won't inherit a dime after all the sacrifices and contribution to the family in the last 3 years. Will anyone really be OK with this?

Yang Gi made some stupid suggestion and egg him on. He entertained the idea, but never quite went above and beyond to action it. He's never once mentioned to Hae In about money/will. By the time Hae In brought up the will, he's already realised he loved her, doesn't care about money, and his reaction/expression did show signs of regrets, the kind that meant he's sorry he's even doubted her.

The dynamic between them change when he changed his behaviour. Like cause and effect, Hae In's behaviours changed too, and things started getting better from there—this was what all it needed for the both of them to mend their broken relationship. Although the show never mentioned it, but it's clearer now that Hae In pushed Hyun Woo away after the loss, and he was angry and hurting. Neither could take the first step to "be nice" to each other. Hae In's illness break the ice between them.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:41 PM, UnniSara said:

I dislike drama that are 1:50 too. But for this drama it makes perfect sense 

What is drama that are 1:50?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 5