CONNECTION

커넥션

Connection_KD-p1.jpeg

jQ4OD8_3f.jpg

SYNOPSIS

Jang Jae-Kyeong (Ji Sung) is an ace detective on the drug task force at Anhyeon Police Station. His life's motto is that weakness in success happens when personal connections and supporters are involved. To avoid that pitfall, he keeps a distance from friends, fellow police officers, and even his own family when he senses it could cause trouble. He is a person with strong convictions and principles. A crisis then occurs in his life. He is forced to become addicted to drugs by someone. With the death of his friend as a clue, he reveals the whole story of connections within a 20 year corrupt friendship.

Meanwhile, Oh Yoon-Jin (Jeon Mi-Do) is a local news reporter for the Anhyeon Economic Daily Newspaper. She is very self-assertive and says things without reserve. Due to her personality, she was unfairly fired at her previous job. It wasn’t easy for her to get hired in the same field. She decided to focus her reporting on corruption and return to Anhyeon City. As a reporter for the Anhyeon Economic Daily Newspaper, she gets involved with Detective Jang Jae-Kyeong.

(Source: Asian Wiki)

Director: Kim Moon-Kyo

(Trolley , Lovers of the Red Sky)

Writer: Lee Hyun

(Diary of The Prosecutor)

Network: SBS

Episodes: 16

Air Date : May 24, 2024 - Jul 13, 2024

Runtime: Friday & Saturday 22:00-23:10

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: -  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Miss Night & Day Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

Cast

Ji Sung - Jang Jae-Kyeong

Jeon Mi-Do - Oh Yoon-Jin

Kwon Yool - Park Tae-Jin

Kim Kyung-Nam - Won Jong-Soo

Jung Soon-Won - Heo Joo-Song

Yoon Na-Moo - Park Joon-Seo

Jeong Jae-Kwang - Kim Chang-Soo

Cha Yub - Oh Chi-Hyun

Seo Yi-Ra - Oh Soo-Hyun

Character Chart

Bd1j67_3f.jpg

d0oOJg_3f.jpg

Film making with main cast

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: -  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Miss Night & Day Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

First episode was pretty good. Ji Sung's character JaeKyung was abducted and drugged while he was responding to a tip off . He's just been recently promoted for busting a number of drug syndicates and even managed to catch the gang leader. However it is unclear who it is that drugged him and let him go. But what is scary is that this drug is a new and the effects are strong - the addiction is no joke. While trying to get a grip of himself, he had passed out and taken to hospital. As he didn't want to have his blood testing positive for narcotics , he managed to get hold of his own blood samples but not without causing a ruckus. 

Meanwhile Jeon MiDo's character Yoon Jin is a reporter who is not exactly one who has the most integrity but she is good at getting exposes. She is divorced and has a son who lives with her ex in Canada. She comes across  a neighbour downstairs who had also taken the drug - this lady was just a normal housewife. The woman seeing that YoonJin  saw her, ran and got  killed by an oncoming van. So YoonJin starts taking an interest in this new unknown drug & begins digging for info. 

At the same time, there was a scene of man who had come to see JaeKyung - this guy was his friend from high school and the two had a fallout. I believe they had both witnessed some sort of crime then. While JaeKyung was trying to tell the truth , the friend chickened out. Looks like they (including the cops then) wanted to cover things up. Anyway, this friend had been the one to sent JK a cryptic message on the night JK got abducted. The guy was found dead the next day.

Kwon Yul and Kim Kyung Nam's characters will appear only in eps 2 at the friend's funeral. They are all connected including YoonJin. JK initially thought he may have been sabotaged by the gang leader he had caught but from the previews , I think it is a lot deeper/ complex than that. It is definitely related to their gang of friends from high school. 

------------

Eps 2 spoiler

The dead friend left 50 billion in insurance money to both JaeKyung and YoonJin! Why though? Why not his wife? What it is that he wanted to his friends to do???

Preview eps 3

• Like 2

Thanks @abs-oluteM for the review. Keep the review coming. I'm going to wait a bit and see. His last drama, Adamas, I couldn't continue. I don't want to start, only ended up to drop again. Feeling a bit tired of the dramas these days for being mediocre. Where were all the good ones, like before? :cry:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

@mademoiselle this drama is not bad but at the moment  there are a lot of characters introduced that are all somehow connected in the past & present . Eps 2 they brought in. Kwon Yul & Kim Kyung Nam’s characters . I believe they are responsible for the death of that friend at least indirectly & this is all link to Ji Sung being drugged by this unknown character called the Doctor. The Doctor is the one that makes these new drugs -or at least that is what is implied. 

I need to watch eps 3 to see how I can recap this.  No time now 😅

Preview ep4 

I love the younger versions of their characters. All good looking 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen the first episode and liked it. It reminded me of Shadow Detective. An unknown opponent leaving behind cryptic messages. The other interesting contrast is that Ji Sung's character just got promoted and Lee Sung-min's character in SD is closing in on retirement. If memory serves, he was demoted at least once I think.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Joy of LIfe 2, The Auditors

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

21 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I’m up to ep3 and keen to continue. So far it’s better than Adamas so @mademoiselle you can try haha!

Hahaha, I was waiting for your feedback! I think I'll wait till the show finish and the full verdict. It's heavy to watch him suffer in addiction.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha, I was waiting for your feedback! I think I'll wait till the show finish and the full verdict. It's heavy to watch him suffer in addiction.

Surprisingly, there’s not a lot of scenes with withdrawal symptoms. It seems this is a new kind of drug - it makes you more alert and able for a start, then you start taking more and become addicted. But one pill can last a surprisingly long time, or 1 day is stretching across a few episodes. Frankly I have no idea how many days have passed in the 8 episodes watched 😅.

Story is flowing nicely. It develops and every episode, new things are revealed. More importantly, it makes sense so there’s not so much frustration watching. Though in the first 7 episodes, I was wondering why Ji Sung and Mido’s characters were not sharing the stuff they found out. But end of ep8 seems to be that they will start to work together.

Now waiting for the new episodes next weekend. You can start, especially if there’s nothing else to watch.

• Clapping Hands 2
5 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Surprisingly, there’s not a lot of scenes with withdrawal symptoms. It seems this is a new kind of drug - it makes you more alert and able for a start, then you start taking more and become addicted. But one pill can last a surprisingly long time, or 1 day is stretching across a few episodes. Frankly I have no idea how many days have passed in the 8 episodes watched 😅.

Story is flowing nicely. It develops and every episode, new things are revealed. More importantly, it makes sense so there’s not so much frustration watching. Though in the first 7 episodes, I was wondering why Ji Sung and Mido’s characters were not sharing the stuff they found out. But end of ep8 seems to be that they will start to work together.

Now waiting for the new episodes next weekend. You can start, especially if there’s nothing else to watch.

Thanks! I've picked up Miss Night & Day just tonight. 😆

Keep me updated! Waaa... 16 episodes. I hope it'll hold its ground to the end.

• Haha 2
On 6/17/2024 at 8:50 PM, Chocolate said:

withdrawal symptoms

With just little scenes, Ji Sung acted really really well. I was on my feet when I saw it. I just hope when we reach the end, the addiction would be addressed rather than being forgotten. 

• Clapping Hands 2

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif

The drama is getting better! Sorry can’t review as it will spoil it for you totally.

Mido’s character is not very likable. Though I understand her motivation/need for money and don’t think she intended to really take the money, it’s difficult to really empathise. It wouldn’t be surprising if Jun Seo trusted the insurance agent friend and he actually knows the secret.

3 more weeks.

• Clapping Hands 1

@Chocolate I am up to eps 6 and like it very much. Sometimes procedurals where the entire show just focuses on one main case can be very draggy - this was what happened to Jang Seung Jo's last drama Nothing Uncovered where he was somewhat the antagonist. But here the story telling and the reveals have been quite surprising, and you feel like you want to know more. Plus Ji Sung's excellent acting as a cop with addiction while trying his darnest best to solve this ASAP is great to watch. 

Spoiler

Some things that intrigued me:

1. Detective Kim Chang Soo is a wild card. JK is right to be suspicious of him.

2. There is an "antidote" or rather some other drug that can alleviate the symptoms caused by the lemon berry drug. Is that what the fed Won Jong Soo when he had the panic attack? 

3. Park Tae Jin and dead guy's wife Ji Yeon's affair is a delicious addition. Hahah. But the second she gives him that passcode, Tae Jin will throw her under the bus.

4. The "Doctor" who came up with this drug should be from or linked to Won Jong Soo's pharmaceutical. How is dead man linked to all this is a mystery and why did WJS and gang kill him ( assuming they set this up)?

5. Yoo Jin - agree with you. I can't empathise with her character as I feel she is withholding very critical information. I can understand she wants it as an exclusive but this involves her dead friend and the info about the cheating wife should be revealed to JK at least. 

Preview ep 11

• Clapping Hands 1

@abs-oluteM Haha I can't say much because every episode, 1 or 2 things will be revealed which wil answer your questions/observations.

Regarding the "antidote", that is one of the appetite suppressant pills. For now, it looks like it only helps him to get over the withdrawal systems temporarily so that he does not have to take the actual drug. However, it seems that the dosage of the "antidote" also needs to be increased each time to be effective. At the end, I think he will either have to go cold turkey or there is a real antidote by "The Doctor".

@40somethingahjumma The wife/widow is the FL in that drama with Sung Hoon. The one I said is a bit cross-eyed lol. No wonder she looked familiar.

On 6/17/2024 at 8:57 PM, mademoiselle said:

Thanks! I've picked up Miss Night & Day just tonight. 😆

Keep me updated! Waaa... 16 episodes. I hope it'll hold its ground to the end.

I tried 2 episodes Ms Night & Day. Connection is MUCH better hahahah!

@SilverMoonTea I also tried 1 ep of Crash. Connection is also better! LOL.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

@abs-oluteM Haha I can't say much because every episode, 1 or 2 things will be revealed which wil answer your questions/observations.

Regarding the "antidote", that is one of the appetite suppressant pills. For now, it looks like it only helps him to get over the withdrawal systems temporarily so that he does not have to take the actual drug. However, it seems that the dosage of the "antidote" also needs to be increased each time to be effective. At the end, I think he will either have to go cold turkey or there is a real antidote by "The Doctor".

@40somethingahjumma The wife/widow is the FL in that drama with Sung Hoon. The one I said is a bit cross-eyed lol. No wonder she looked familiar.

I tried 2 episodes Ms Night & Day. Connection is MUCH better hahahah!

@SilverMoonTea I also tried 1 ep of Crash. Connection is also better! LOL.

Haha i think thats because of your Jisung bias. I like Crash better, I had completed Crash but I got bored with Connection and had stopped watching it 😅

• Haha 3

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Just now, SilverMoonTea said:

Haha i think thats because of your Jisung bias. I like Crash better, I had completed Crash but I got bored with Connection and had stopped watching it 😅

Haha, don't think so. I'm a fair person! See how I always diss HB lol. Connection is a bit slower at the beginning but it gets better and better. Just needs some patience.

Does Crash get better? If so, I will try because I usually like the genre. Just that the cast is not very interesting.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Haha, don't think so. I'm a fair person! See how I always diss HB lol. Connection is a bit slower at the beginning but it gets better and better. Just needs some patience.

Does Crash get better? If so, I will try because I usually like the genre. Just that the cast is not very interesting.

I like Crash from the get go itself. I think the case was quite unique and he was so introverted and socially inept on the beginning, so later on he did show some growth and trying to adapt more as detective. 

I forgot where did I stopped Connection, in ep 3 or 4 it did get better then it go to the circle again. Drug investigation actually not my cup of tea too. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

12 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I have not seen you diss HB. He hasn't had a drama since CLOY so we haven't seen a drama of his together, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Came here to check out comments on Connection and saw some discussion on Crash. Had to give my thoughts:

Spoiler

Crash is one of the better police procedurals that I’ve seen in a while. Simple and straightforward storytelling focused on who knew...traffic crimes. No gimmicks with whodunnit goose chases nor unnecessary red herrings. Cast was great, especially the TCI team camraderie. Love love Lee Min Ki in detective roles. He’s so good with socially awkward roles. I thought Kwak Sun Young filled the role as female lead. Enjoyed seeing the positive impact she on had LMK’s growth. The overarching case that connected the characters and past was most interesting to me so I became invested around episode 4/5. If time permits, I would give at least a few episodes a try. It’s an easy watch.

Planning to start Connection next. Just need to re-subscribe Viki. (I’ve been dealing with some not so great life things but will try to pop in when possible. Hope everyone is doing well!)

• Clapping Hands 2

@peperomia Connection is good. I am all caught up...this was what Nothing Uncovered should have been but didn't quite become :laugh: Whatever you're going through - hang in there. Sending you positive thoughts and hope things will look up soon. 

@Chocolate

Spoiler

OMG......every single person here is so morally compromised, that I don't trust anyone except TaeKyung. Hoping insurance agent friend stays good till the end. His disappointed reaction when Yoo Jin thought about taking the money - I mean this is same level when the oppa you love turns out to be a jerk. Poor guy has crushed on her since their school days too and could not believe she would consider taking dirty money. I can understand her desperation given her circumstances , and will not fault her for considering it. But to go through with it is not something I expected. 

Ahhh so Kim Chang Wook was on CEO's Yoon's "payroll". Taking money is one thing but now attempting murder is another level of bad. But I guess he was desperate not to be found out. I don't know why I get this feeling that he and CEO Yoon had a deeper relationship. Could she have been his mother? He was rather upset at her death. It could of course be because he lost his source of income. Anyway we also know now that CEO Yoon's guy was the one who drugged TaeJin. But why though?

JiYeon getting so upset that the password she knew was actually YoonJin's birthday was  kind of double standard. She can cheat on her husband but was appalled that he held a torch for his ex-girl friend.

From preview it looks like The Doctor is the scientist friend that TaeKyung spoke to? Or that's what TK is guessing. And the million dollar question still remains -  who actually killed Seo Jun? 

• Heart Eyes 1