[News] Lee Do Hyun Responds To Praise Over His Performance In “18 Again” And Shares His Favorite Compliment

d1ade77a78f5413cb11f58e37566dbb4.jpeg?s=

Lee Do Hyun expressed how grateful he is for the positive response to his acting in “18 Again.”

The drama “18 Again” is about a man on the brink of divorce who suddenly finds himself back in the body of his 18-year-old self. Lee Do Hyun plays the teenage version of the protagonist who goes by the name Go Woo Young, while Yoon Sang Hyun plays the older version named Hong Dae Young. Kim Ha Neul plays his wife Jung Da Jung.

Praise has been pouring in for Lee Do Hyun’s performance, and the actor shared, “It’s been a big boost of strength for me to hear a lot of compliments. I’m sincerely grateful.”

“The compliment that I was happiest to hear was that they could see Yoon Sang Hyun in me,” he shared. “He and the director gave me a lot of help while reading the script, and I really felt like I needed to meet expectations. I’m so happy because I feel like the viewers are recognizing my hard work.”

Many viewers have said that Lee Do Hyun really seems like a father when he’s with his on-screen twins, Hong Si Ah (Noh Jung Ui) and Hong Si Woo (Ryeoun). “First, I’m so grateful for such undeserved praise,” he said. “To be honest, portraying the feelings of a father was very difficult. In the early stages, I observed my parents a lot, and I did research by meeting with my friend’s parents and asking them questions.”

“During the rehearsal period, the director spoke to me a lot about how a father feels,” Lee Do Hyun continued. “Thanks to that, I was able to truly understand the feelings of a parent toward their children, and I used that as a foundation when I was acting. I worked hard while performing to show my character’s love for his wife and children in a natural way and also to convey the image of Yoon Sang Hyun. Even now, I always think of him first when I rehearse.”

lee-do-hyun-2.jpg

On top of that, many viewers were brought to tears by the story between Lee Do Hyun’s character and his father Hong Joo Man (Lee Byung Joon). An emotional scene in episode 8 showed Lee Do Hyun’s character at a basketball game revealing to his father through sign language that he’s his son.

“I was moved while watching the show because I felt the emotions from filming all over again,” said Lee Do Hyun. “That was my first time doing sign language, and it wasn’t easy. I wanted it to look natural, so I practiced over and over while thinking about the meaning of each of the movements.”

Lee Do Hyun’s character is charming viewers as a “younger man on the outside, older man on the inside.” The actor said, “I performed with the hope that in the latter half of ’18 Again,’ you’ll be able to feel a bit more of a manly charm from him rather than the look of a cunning older man. Please look forward to the future sides of him too.”

“I hope you’ll watch and find out what will happen in Woo Young and Da Jung’s relationship and whether Woo Young will be able to return as Dae Young,” said Lee Do Hyun. “I also hope that you’ll look forward to finding out how much my son Si Woo will grow and who my daughter Si Ah will be in love with.”

Lee Do Hyun wrapped up by expressing his thanks for fans’ love for the show, encouraging them to stay tuned to the end as the story becomes even more interesting and exciting.

Lee Do Hyun made his acting debut in 2017 in “Prison Playbook” and he’s steadily risen in popularity through performances in works including “30 but 17,” “Clean with Passion for Now,” and “Hotel Del Luna.”

This scene is one of my favourite from ep9 hahaha

And I saw the preview for next week...

Spoiler

Woo Young kisses Da Jung?!!!

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Episode 7: The person who gave me courage

- JiHoon backstory is done well. Not too much and not too slow. I’m loving this guy more and more… It’s great that DaJung was able to advise JiHoon based on what she saw happened to DaeYoung.

- Loving the blooming love triangle in the school. How sweet that JaSung waited for ShiAh to be punished together, then ShiAh flatly rejected his offer to carry her bag, but let JiHo carried hers. And how JiHo just dumped his bag on the ground, LOLOL… And when the two boys clutching the pink pencil case, ShiAh just “what are you guys doing to my (poor) pencil case?” and then just snatched it away.

- Oh gosh, AeRin just blabbered the big secret out *palmface

- The previous episode DaeYoung was able to go back to his own house, and this episode he was able to return to his father’s house. At least he gets to know some of his father’s thinking.

- Urgh, Teacher Choi is disgusting asking for money so outrightly to the parents. I was worried for DaJung the whole time she was there. Good thing she stands her ground. She is bold in wanting to out his shady dealings by recording, but gah, that’s not the way it’s done. I knew she would be found out the moment she put the phone on the table. She is good in her job as a site/live reporter, but not as an investigative reporter *coldsweats

- I just love that emergency staircase talk... Again, we see how tuned in Dae(Woo)Young is with DaJung that he immediately knows what she must be feeling and where she could be. 

- The epilogue once again ties up the episode nicely. We see DaeYoung witnessing DaJung’s struggle while working, and always providing her the moral support. And then the mirror scene of him comforting DaJung at the staircase.

Episode 8: The stories that only I didn’t know about

- Just less than 10 minutes into ep.8, I started tearing up already, when DaJung finally realised what DaeYoung had sacrificed in the past for the family.

- Love the counselling session between Dae(Woo)Young with JaSung

- Um, the save by JiHoon when DaJung was almost hit by the incoming biker was not that well done, I cringed, bwahaha, it really doesn’t warrant such a hug… but anyhow I still love JiHoon

- DaeYoung once accused his father that he has never done anything for the family, and now it’s his turn to be told the same by his daughter. He looked down on his father for drowning his sorrow in alcohol and he did the same when pressed from every angle in life.

- The father-son hug on the basketball court sent me to tears, and when DaeYoung started to talk to his father using sign language, I was barely able to hold back my sobs. If I were alone at home, I could probably care less and just bawl out loud.

- That mysterious stalker... he/she must be the one responsible for DaeYoung becoming young again, right? Wonder what it will take for WooYoung to become DaeYoung again...

Okay, I don’t usually say this kind of thing, but LDY seriously needs to get an award for his performance in this drama! He is just amazing in portraying his role here.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@Alice Wonderland What a twist re: the stalker!

Turns out it is a stalker after all but not aftering Dae Young/Woo Young. Hahahaha.

I love how the family all united in beating up the stalker. Also, LOL at Dae Young letting slip calling Kim Mi Kyung "mother-in-law" and then have Da Jung telling him she should be the mother-in-law, totally already giving Woo Young her approval. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Haha 2

Have everyone caught up with the latest episodes of 18 Again? How about @Alice Wonderland @bairama ? I apologized in advance if what I write below spoiled the ep 9 and 10 for you two.

I haven't watched the sub version, but I did watch several raw clips here and there and can get a picture almost the entire episode. These below are several thoughts that I had while 

Episode 9

-> We saw the solution for basketball team coach issue in this episode. Da Jung used her connections and help from the station to reveal Il Kwon and his friends bad deeds. Dae Young is helping from the sides, by using Deok Jin as his father figure and bait him to do it with Hye In (LOL). Their fighting scenes inside Deok Jin's office room while Ae Rin just turned deaf on them swearing to each other are funny. I thought Lee Ki Woo (the actor who plays Il Kwon) is part of the fixed cast. I never thought that his role is a cameo. After Il Kwon is caught by the police, he and Woo Young changed gazes and from there I have feelings that Il Kwon did know that Dae Young is Woo Young, but he didn't reveal it to Da Jung or to others. I wonder why he keep it quiet? 

-> I'm glad that Dae Young and Father are mending their broken relationship little by little and spend time together again. But Father never questioned how Dae Young become young again? Or maybe he did but we didn't see it on the screen? I guess Father's role in here so far, other than acting as a reflecting period for Dae Young about his past actions towards his own family, is the source for Da Jung's past actions and explanation about what she did all these years behind Dae Young that he never knew. 

-> The fight between Ja Sung and Ji Ho :laugh: I laughed a lot during the imaginary scene of Dae Young shooting his gun at Ja Sung who claimed that Shi Ah is his. And in that epilogue, was the little boy who asked Shi Ah played really Ja Sung? 

Spoiler

-> Ye Ji Hoon actively pursuing Da Jung. Did he realize that he has feelings for her, or is it just his nature to be kind with the woman who is in need of help? I am team Dae Young and root for the couple to get back together, but sometimes Ji Hoon's sweet gesture is quite swoony

-> In this episode, we learned that we won't know how precious something that we used to have in our daily life until we lost it. In Dae Young's case, he missed the time where he's happy with his family. He always lend his ears and shoulders for Da Jung whenever she's having a hard time. But because he never shares his burden to her, she only saw that Dae Young has changed and didn't understand why. He drowned himself with alcohol to forget it but it only made his relationship with his wife and children became bad. 

Episode 10

-> I won't lie that I shocked when I saw after the accident Dae Young regained his body back. I thought is this really happening or is it just a dream? Sadly it's just a dream. I felt sad when I saw the calendar or note show the year 2017. Did Dae Young also get an accident in that year? If yes then what happened in the past 3 years that changed the warm family to a cold and distant family?

-> This episode also wrapped out the stalker case. From the beginning I did think that the stalker's target was Shi Ah, not Dae Young. He's just happened to be there whenever the stalker took the pictures. Turned out it's right. It's scary but it ended funny because of Dae Young's slipped of mouth calling Mother as his mother-in-law. Da Jung clearly on board if Woo Young wants to become her son-in-law (Gaah the horror. I don't even want to imagine it :shocked2:)

-> Da Jung finally knew the reason behind Dae Young's resignation from his old job. If only he told her himself, maybe they could still save their marriage. Just like Dae Young, Da Jung only found out about his hardships from other people, not from Dae Young himself. If only they can be honest with each other T_T

Both clearly still have feelings and care for each other. If they have the chance to get back, will they do it? 

@mademoiselle yes with the preview! Did he really did that?! What do you think? Did he finally reveal himself or he did that without revealing himself as Dae Young? 

New Making scenes

Edited by LaLa
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

@LaLa Thanks for dropping the BTS. Because I'm blocked by JTBC from where I'm from, I don't see the links (only once I saw & could get the link). If you could drop them when they are out it'd be much appreciated.

I'm a bit worried if the kiss is real (it could be imaginary too) only because we're only at E11... a bit too early to do that.

• Like 3
On 10/24/2020 at 10:12 AM, ktcjdrama said:

I may be in the minority. I hope Woo Young will not kiss Da Jung... I somehow feel that’s cruel for Da Jung, unless she already found out WY is actually DY. Even so, I still prefer no kiss while DY is in the form of WY. 

I feel the same as you. I don't want Woo Young to kiss Da Jung unless he revealed the truth about himself.

But the kiss in ep 11 really happened. Da Jung didn't avoid it because she's drunk.

Spoiler

While she's drunk, she said Hong Dae Young, why you only came now? I still think that she's not in her right mind and see Woo Young as Dae Young, not that she found out about Woo Young = Dae Young. He thought that she has finally found out about his secret and goes for a kiss (?) or I didn't know why he decided to do that. I have to watch the full episode.

Oh and the kiss happened after Da Jung's variety show broadcast. She admited that she regret her decision to divorce. She regret that both she and Dae Young couldn't be honest to each other and reveal about the hardship that they had. If only they (especially Dae Young) showed their weakness to each other, they might be able to comfort each other and talk about it. Even if they decided to divorce, they would probably not regret it. 

Preview ep 12

Rought translations

DJ: Ya Jung Da Jung get a grip of yourself! Why would I be awkward?

AR: Whoa... Ye Ji Hoon looks so handsome. He just appeared but he looks like a model

AR: She can't swim! 

WY: Don't smile like that to anyone! People might misunderstood you

JH: I really wish you would stop do something like that

WY: Everything that you've seen isn't everything

@abs-oluteM The scenes that I mentioned in twitter, the one that you will absolutely love. A sneak preview if you want to check it out *wink*

@mademoiselle In the movie, does the male lead also go for a kiss to the female lead when he's in his younger body?

Making scenes ep 9 - 10

Poor guy, his hair got pulled several times xD

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama @LaLa @Alice Wonderland thanks for calling me many times to watch this.  Just got off episode 1 . I laughed and cried - it was good.  The scene that sealed the deal was when he discovered his son was being bullied and he confronted the bullies. Of course not forgetting to mention that ending when their babies heartbeat came back miraculously . So touching.

Okay...let me watch one more tonight :D

• Party! 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Hurray!! Welcome @abs-oluteM 

@JenL You have to check this one out because Lee Do Hyun is sensational in here! Forget Zac Efron (although I sincerely think he did well in 17 Again). 

@LaLa They flirted a bit and dance to their song (young hubby and old wife) but I don't think they kiss and yes, he kissed her & she slapped him. It is back on my Netflix. You can check yours!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

I agree @mademoiselle . LDH is carrying this drama on his shoulders. The rest of the cast is solid too . But it is when he goes all fatherly , he & YKS give off the same vibe . And that is actually some fantastic acting there 

I sacrifice some sleep & watch till eps 3 . :laugh:

I love the flashback scenes a lot - how he met the wife & the scenes with the kids when they were little  . It was hard times of course raising a family at such a tender age, and with no college education & financial security . But I did think they were happy. 

• Awesome 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Yaaaay @abs-oluteM is here...!! Can't blame you for not being able to stop watching next episode.

I just realised I haven't shared my thoughts for ep.9-10. Here is a quick on on 9. I have to go out, and will be back to share 10 and 11.

Episode 9:

- Finally, evil coach is out of the picture. He is such a shameless person who doesn’t deserve to be a teacher at all. How did he aspire to be one and manage to graduate as one is beyond me. He is a person who won’t think twice about hitting a woman. Although given his background story, we see why he became like that, for me it’s still not an excuse. As an adult, you can choose to walk different, better path.

- Love the way DaJung convinced the parents to go with her plan of exposing Teacher Choi. Sincerity goes a long way.

- JaSung finally apologised to ShiWoo. That’s great, and I hope it’s not just because he is planning to pursue ShiAh?

- DaeYoung had some quality time with Dad. That’s also great, but why the Dad never questioned his youthful look? Or does he always look like a kid to him? Haha…

- ROTFLOL at Dae(Woo)Young holding out an imaginary gun to JaSung for daring to claim he owns his daughter. This is going to be fun watching him guard ShiAh against the “wolves”. Earlier on, JiHo was just awesome when he grasp WooYoung hand from touching ShiAh. #TeamJiHo

- JiHoon is just adorable, trying to do things for DaJung to comfort her, even to the point of eating spicy food. Awww, I’m torn... I want the couple to get back together of course, but JiHoon is so lovable too with his crush on DaJung…. I actually like watching him pursue DaJung. I also want him to be happy, but how in this drama-verse? When he smiles, it's just :wow:

- Stairway talk has become one of my favourite moments of the drama now.

- Because I have watched ep.10, no point sharing my shock here with what happened after the car accident, haha…

- Wait, that little boy playing with little ShiAh is the JaSung we know? So they go way back?? Is this a foreshadowing of the future ship?? Nooo…….. #TeamJiHo

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

On 10/21/2020 at 10:44 PM, ktcjdrama said:

Okay, I don’t usually say this kind of thing, but LDY seriously needs to get an award for his performance in this drama! He is just amazing in portraying his role here.

I second this...I keep thinking about how good he is . 

Though it is only 3 episodes , I am already Team Ji Ho. ( the daughter's best guy friend ) ...when he hit that bully , I was like you go boy!

I will catch up and live recap from next week :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

1 minute ago, abs-oluteM said:

I second this...I keep thinking about how good he is . 

Though it is only 3 episodes , I am already Team Ji Ho. ( the daughter's best guy friend ) ...when he hit that bully , I was like you go boy!

I will catch up and live recap from next week 

Probably a New Actor Award for Daesang since JTBC doesn't have their own station award shows. ^ ^

Hahahaha, I'm Team Ji Ho from Day 1 too. Choi Bo Min is too cute. Last night's episode determines who is out, kikiki (don't tell me to delete this,  Ji Pyeong...)

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hurray!! Welcome @abs-oluteM 

@JenL You have to check this one out because Lee Do Hyun is sensational in here! Forget Zac Efron (although I sincerely think he did well in 17 Again). 

@LaLa They flirted a bit and dance to their song (young hubby and old wife) but I don't think they kiss. It is back on my Netflix. You can check yours!

Ok I'll have to watch tonight...what episode are you guys up to? Has it finished?

• Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

12 minutes ago, JenL said:

Ok I'll have to watch tonight...what episode are you guys up to? Has it finished?

I'm updated and will be watching episode 11 tonight. I think you and @abs-oluteM need to catch up.

The rest might be up to date (me, Alice Wonderland and LaLa). Not sure about @bairama coz she got side-tracked by Ahjussi Dating in The Kitchen. HAHA.

My heart is fluttering for Lee Do Hyun (more Abs, @abs-oluteM and TWO too!!!) for ep12 preview. Eeeeeek!!!

EP12 Preview - SPOILER - DO NOT ENTER 

But @SilverMoonTea can enter because of what we were talking about at Dabang, LOL LOL. :YesHalCat:

Spoiler

• Haha 4

Oh gosh. gals I am watching a bit of eps 4 during my lunch break, and dying laughing. Who knew bestie's first love was Dae Young ! Loved how they became best friends. And this part when at the school reunion, they all discovered that Dae Young did not age well :lol:

MjAGPiY.png

• Haha 3

Episode 10:  If We Love Again

- Flashback of the young couple is always a welcome watch. I would say that DaeYoung has never changed in his heart/feelings for DaJung. Really sad that the breakdown in communication made them grow apart.

- I cried so much watching the family reunited, but when the desk calendar is shown, I was honestly a bit deflated because it was just a fake-out. Turned up to be just a dream of WooYoung. I guess this is not a drama where we will see a going back and forth between young and old DaeYoung. This is probably a one-time thing where in the end we will see DaeYoung returning to his old self… will we?

- The owner of black nail polish turned out to be an unexpected twist. I really would’ve never guessed it. But it’s awesome to see ShiAh defending herself. Yes to girls having self-defence classes. I should probably find one for my teenage daughter too.

- Funniest scene at the police station, the stalker being hit by the mother father and grandmother. And the police turning a blind eye to it. Some viewers may complain about this, but the stalker deserves a beating. If I were the police, I would probably just try (half-heartedly) to stop the beating, LOL… and then the slip of tongue calling his MIL outside the station, bwahahahaaa....

- The bit about JiHoon bringing his daughter to work at the broadcasting station was just okay. Kinda expected trope to make his crush on DaJung even stronger.

- Woo(Dae)Young playing guitar for ShiAh, swooooon… be careful that she will start crushing on you instead, Daddy… hahaha….

- DeokJin and his attempt to woo Teacher Hye-In never failed to provide comic relief, not to mention the follow up of the misunderstandings from his staff about his relationship with AeRin, LOL...

- Old man made his appearance again. We're not going to have DaJung becoming 18 too, are we? hahaaa... but maybe, my wild guess, is that after DaJung found out about WooYoung, it will be her wish that brings WooYoung back to DaeYoung? I went back to rewatch the part DaeYoung was at the old man's house (ep.1 around 14min mark). Old man commented that he seems to be able to repair anything. He then replied that he wishes he could fix his life too. Old man offered to help while offering him a cup of tea, but DaeYoung drank the tea and said he must fix his life himself because it's his own life after all.

- Really love the part where WooYoung sent the pictures of the twins to DaJung, and then DaJung sent them to DaeYoung. Just get back together already!!

- And yet another beautiful epilogue as we see Woo(Dae)Young’s ideal type of woman, a mirror to what JiHoon said also. DaJung is one lucky woman to be so appreciated by these men.

Episode 11: A Missed Love (what’s the English subs title? I only translated from Chinese subs)

- Urgh! why do they have to lie to each other again about the reason for not being able to meet up as planned??...

- Oh no… JaSung is one step waaaaay ahead of JiHo… That was a nice song. I know she wouldn’t accept him, not that easily, but maybe not yet. #TeamJiHo

- Naughty WooYoung sabotaging JaSung’s confession effort, LOL. And the poor boy just took the advice at face value and did as told.

- The two boys being jealous of Ji-Hoon is just too cute. Despite refusing the invite, they did join the dinner after all. I would too… haha.

- LOL, glad that the opportunist intern got blown away, literally, by the storm. I really think the Team Leader deliberately made the program sounds so prestigious/important to prank her, LOL

- The program DaJung hosted is quite a good idea actually, as long as it is not made to become a ratings machine for the station. Sometimes husband and wife needs an outlet to voice out their grievances. It may not be the best way but it’s better than nothing since for most couple, they won’t be able to say what’s on their mind out loud that easily.

- What DaJung said in the program basically summed up the main problems of struggling married couples. And after she declared being regretful about her divorce, we transitioned from WooYoung to DaeYoung watching the TV. I teared up when after her closing words, the audience changed their votes. The twins just went with “my mother is awesome” but with this bit, we see the adults understanding much more than that. Grandma became quiet with her thoughts about what her daughter is really feeling. JiHoon guessed correctly that the person DaJung waiting for is her ex-husband.

- The things leading up to the stairway kiss are well laid out. Understandably so that DaJung is seeing WooYoung as DaeYoung. It’s the same person after all. I can also understand why WooYoung cannot hold himself back anymore after watching that confession of regret by DaJung. I am fine with this kiss because DaJung sees the person in front of her as DaeYoung. But then, in the preview we will have another kiss? This time she is sober though…. yikes…

Random:

The girl playing ShiAh is sooooo pretty.

All the OST in this drama just have a lot of feels…

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif