Record of Youth 청춘기록 [2020]

15 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Just started watching this (because Park Bo Gum and Park So Dam). Am in the middle of Ep 2 and feel compelled to say - I already don’t like Hye-hyo. Pfft. 

Awww. But Hae Hyo and Hye Joon are such good friends! And, Hae Hyo has his own problems, namely his interfering mother not allowing him to do anything completely for himself. I'm fine with HH, especially since it may not turn into a love triangle with HJ and JH, but I absolutely do not like HH's mother. Pfft.

• Like 3
  • Tasty 1

It's hard to believe that a total talent package like Park Bo Geum would be struggling that much to make it in showbiz but okay... I'll just let that pass. ;) TBH I don't know if I can fit another show into my current schedule with everything I have to do.

So far I don't mind what I've seen of RoY. It's extremely relatable. It hits rather too close to home though especially with regards to my eldest and her job hunt. I really feel for the Gen Zs and the millennials especially after the damage done to our economy during the Covid crisis.

I wonder how Hye-ho's going to feel when he finds out that his mother has been "making connections" behind his back.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 7

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I wonder how Hye-ho's going to feel when he finds out that his mother has been "making connections" behind his back.

I think it's really going to hit his confidence. His mother is not only making connections behind his back to get him the roles that HJ is also up for, she's also been buying followers for him. So, basically, even his popularity is at least partly illusory, and his manager told him that his number of followers is one of the reasons that the director had chosen HH over HJ.

I just hope that when HH finds out, he doesn't then decide to go along with his mother because he becomes scared that he can't do it any other way even though he really wants to act and be successful.

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It's hard to believe that a total talent package like Park Bo Geum would be struggling that much to make it in showbiz but okay... I'll just let that pass. ;)

To be honest, I can. There are a LOT of talented, good looking people in Hollywood who don't get the breaks for whatever reason. Whether it's because they don't have the trendy look of the moment or they don't get the opportunities or whatever.

I can only imagine it must be even worse in Korea looking at all the trainees who spend years of their lives, but don't ever make their debut. They're trained for years in singing, dancing, acting, pretty much all of the entertainment disciplines, but still don't make it most of the time.

Good luck to your eldest and her job hunt!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@stroppyse Yeah, I know what you mean about HH - none of it is really his fault, but you see, that's exactly what I dislike about him too. He's the boy who lives a life of privilege but doesn't know it. He's mummy's boy, but thinks he's gotten to where he is by his own talent, which actually pales against HJ's in reality. But he doesn't know any of that and instead thinks he's able to show all that "grace" to HJ by getting him on the photoshoot. Yet it's really HJ that's the one who's getting the international gigs. HH lacks self-awareness. And his mum makes the whole 'package of annoyance' complete. 

There's also something I'm wondering about the fashion industry there - if HJ is so highly sought after for the runway, why's he not better paid than he is after 7 years? Conned by that good-for-nothing agent for 7 years???

Edited by gilaswan
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
11 hours ago, gilaswan said:

There's also something I'm wondering about the fashion industry there - if HJ is so highly sought after for the runway, why's he not better paid than he is after 7 years? Conned by that good-for-nothing agent for 7 years???

Not in the fashion industry, but my understanding is that even the best known models don't actually make that much actual money, especially runway models. Only if they become so well known to the public that they are able to do endorsements in their own name do they make any significant money.

It seems to be more the lifestyle in that they may be given clothing, goodies, etc., plus the trips to do the fashion shows.

HJ's agency would have taken a significant cut of his earnings anyway, since they have to underwrite all of his expenses including the travel which probably came out of the fees that HJ's agency is paid by the designer/house. However, with HJ's scummy ex-manager, he probably withheld a bigger portion of the fees when he paid HJ at all. The strong implication was that he always paid HJ late or didn't pay him at all sometimes, and it's explicitly mentioned that he had not paid HJ for the previous 2 assignments that HJ had done.

As for HH, it's true that he's naive and foolish, but he's also young and things have probably come easily to him all of his life, especially with his mother running interference. I feel compassion for him because he is going to end up falling hard once he realizes how much of it was his mother rather than himself. It's even more sickening that his mother plans to let HH know exactly how much he owes her for his success. When HH does find out is when we'll learn more about his true character and the person that he will become.

• Like 2

@stroppyse I reckon, this being a "coming of age" drama, we will see HH mature. And, I reckon, it will be a positive growth sort of ending for all 3 key characters (I know Jinwoo was listed as one of the main characters in the wiki page, but he doesn't appear in the promo posters?). I'm not sure at this point how fairy tale like this drama will be - will all of them see success at the end of 16 episodes? For the sake of a realistic story, I hope not. Neither would I like characters to spill into bitterness. 

I like how HJ's mother put it - they need to make it on their own in order to defend their achievements. That said, I also think that connections and getting support is real too. You see the irony when HJ rejects the supposed help being offered but does all he can to help JH. So part of the journey, I reckon, is deciding where help can or should come from and whether that in itself sustains a future.

In the meantime, I still dislike HH. At 26, you're not exactly young anymore - many of those interviewing for a position I'm hiring to fill are around that age. So he does come across as exceptionally naive because of privilege. But that is who he is. Let's see how he breaks out of that cocoon.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

I like how HJ's mother put it - they need to make it on their own in order to defend their achievements. That said, I also think that connections and getting support is real too. You see the irony when HJ rejects the supposed help being offered but does all he can to help JH. So part of the journey, I reckon, is deciding where help can or should come from and whether that in itself sustains a future.

True. My mum always said that she's responsible for us until we finish high school and get into college. After that, we're adults and we're on our own to figure things out. And, she's stuck by it. For the most part. Though she still feeds us to the gills whenever we go home.  :laugh: 

Connections and support are real, and it's not entirely a meritocracy, even if we like to think it is. That's not even with accounting for the built in privileges that being born rich gives one in society. However, being reliant solely on those creates a dependency and undermines confidence, not to mention feeling as if one is beholden forever.

You make an interesting point, however, about HH thinking he's doing it all himself, and yet looking to try to help HJ somehow. Perhaps that will be what enables HH to forgive his mother once he realizes how much she's interfered in his life. Anyway, it's that hypocrisy, though, which makes him seem more naive, plus having a warm heart because he can't bear for his friend to not enjoy some success.

10 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

In the meantime, I still dislike HH. At 26, you're not exactly young anymore - many of those interviewing for a position I'm hiring to fill are around that age. So he does come across as exceptionally naive because of privilege. But that is who he is. Let's see how he breaks out of that cocoon.

No worries. I wasn't really trying to change your mind about HH. Just explaining why I still feel compassion towards his character. I hope you're right that all the characters grow up rather than that they all have fairy tale happy endings. As you've said, we'll see how HH breaks out of his rich kid cocoon.

• Like 4

• The drama overall theme give a courage & motivation to younger generation to work hard and not afraid of failures.

• The PBG family dynamic. The father act like villain, but looking how he injured his arm just for the family, you just can't help but to have sympathy for him. And even the grandpa always quarel with him, but he deeply care for him as well. 

• The designer Jung love for PBG lols..It's quite refreshing. 

Dislikes :

•The "I will never get married and dating?" Haha I will see how long this cliche will last.

• The confusion, as she lied to him whose fan she is. It's better she came clean, it's just a simple matter. 

• Many cliches, senior abuse at work, mother controlling. 

Not sure, this drama can keep me entertain until 16 eps. But let's see. 

• Like 4

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Wew. I managed to finish Ep 2 during my lunch break in time for the Ep 3 drop tonight. While I still can, I am going to try to keep up with the episodes that it airs within the week.

The production of this drama is really impressive. I was floored by the Italian fashion show, that was quite a lot of effort to organise! Another little thing I have been appreciating is also how the production inserts murals or signs with messages that speak to the characters' situation. In Ep 2 there was "I Had A Dream" when HJ heard the news of HH getting the movie part.

I also really enjoyed the banter between JH and HJ (and HH too). It was so quick I had to replay it a few times to properly read the subs! I hope the boys adopt her into the group. The end of the ep got some of my spidey sense going that HH might fall in like with JH though, to create that love triangle. Really hoping not. Sigh.

Something random to share, the building that HJ walks out after his second meeting with the designer - that's the SidusHQ building in Gangnam. I lived in an Airbnb near there and I walked by the building daily to get to the subway! They have a really yummy bakery there. I miss that neighbourhood!

• Like 4

So cute! I loved episode 3. HJ and his grandfather are adorable as always, and I loved that HJ is so casual about JH. Well, except that may indicate that HJ has totally friend-zoned JH? Hope now.

However, I'm also finding HJ's parents rather cute in their scenes. For instance, even though HJ's father has so much bombast in him and he's definitely the MAN of the family, he knows when not to cross his wife. It's cute how he actually does know his wife, and so meekly answers his own questions to her when she throws him a look while in that mood. LOL

HJ and JH continue to be so adorable. I loved the rain scene after JH explains that she doesn't like the rain because it makes her feel lonely, and then HJ says "Oppa will call you when it's raining. You're not alone." LOL  Okay, so in case you're a lurker who is relatively new to k-dramas. An "oppa" is what a girl calls her older brother. "Oppa" has also come to be used as "sweetie" or "honey" in some cases, but that is not what is going on in this scene. Rather, HJ is calling himself JH's older brother who will take care of her, which is why JH's response to HJ's statement is to say that HJ was being cheesy and greasy. So lots of eye-rolling since they're same birth year friends rather than HJ actually being "older".

On a more serious note, though, HJ and JH are very cute together, and even they recognize how comfortable they are spending time together and talking about whatever is on their minds. A lot of it is JH being such a straight-foward person; something that even HJ comments on when he says that it's JH's lack of filter and artifice that allows him to just comfortably say what's on his mind as well without having to worry about guarding his words. Plus, they are both smart people, capable of dishing and taking it.

I was also happy to see that HJ is not an idiot and that he's sussed out that JH knows an awful lot about him and doesn't seem phased at all about HH. I'm glad that's out. I thought the scene where he confronts her was adorable, where he asks if she's sure that she's HH's fan and saying that he hates liars. With JH's personality, she would have felt compelled to blurt it out. She couldn't see it because he kept walking out after the reveal, but that was a very big smile on his face hearing that she was his fan after all.

So, a translation of the preview for ep 4.

HJ: I’m going to do it.
HJ: The dream I want to achieve, noona is doing it with me.
JH: Don’t interfere. It’s my fight.
Grandfather: It’s going to be all flower paths from now on. (meaning that life will be good rather than a struggle)
Father: What are you going to start doing, Father?! Don’t even talk about it! (me: he doesn't want to know since it's preposterous anyway)
HJ: When did you start being my superfan anyway?
JH: For some reason, it felt as if I were getting treatments. (me: meaning it was therapeutic)
HJ: You seem more lively than usual.
JH: It's my habit to talk a lot when I’m drunk.
JH: I gave my everything to my work. Because it was fun.
HJ: I believe in you.
JH: I believe in you, too.

First off, how cute is Min Jae, the manager! And, I love it that HJ and MJ are close so that HJ calls MH "noona" while MH just calls him by name. Awww.

Plus, I love that little affirmation at the end of the preview. Can't wait to watch episode 4!

• Like 2
On 9/13/2020 at 9:02 AM, SilverMoonTea said:

Dislikes :

•The "I will never get married and dating?" Haha I will see how long this cliche will last.

• The confusion, as she lied to him whose fan she is. It's better she came clean, it's just a simple matter. 

• Many cliches, senior abuse at work, mother controlling. 

Yes, we will see how long that lasts about not dating.

The confusion was cleared up. She came clean. Yay!

Yes, they are cliches, but unfortunately, those are all things that are still happening to people. :cry:

Hope you stay watching with us! :eeeee:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

I enjoyed Ep 3, I really like how HJ and JH are progressing as friends. Their platonic chemistry and banter is so good! I don't even really care if they date or not. But then in their moments of tension and awareness of each other, I change my mind. Park So Dam is bringing it! She looked so young in the flashback scene, I was genuinely confused if it was her or a younger actress.

10 hours ago, stroppyse said:

and then HJ says "Oppa will call you when it's raining. You're not alone." LOL

Ooh, thanks for clearing that up! I wasn't sure if I heard right since they are friends.

Also glad she admitted that she's HJ's fan! So cute the way it was done. I hope that helped boost HJ's ego for a bit to know he has a genuine supporter in JH. Also I can't wait for JH and Grandpa to meet, I am sure they will get on like a house on fire!

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

🅡🅔🅒🅞🅡🅓 🅞🅕 🅨🅞🅤🅣🅗

𝕗𝕚𝕝𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕝𝕠𝕔𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟

Episode 3 : A V E N U E   J U N O

ACtC-3fLKB0pUcGC4-pp-z_FP3A-7yo_otaig7un

The drama is totally immersed in depicting the glitz and glamour of modelling world--the location of this particular scene for example. Located in Cheomdamdong, this is a high-end salon catered to customers who will be born as goddess :PsyWhat:

Official Site: Avenue Juno: Romantic Salon with Greek Goddess

source blog

Episode 2 : D A E S U N G  C H U R CH Alley

ACtC-3fWb4mwLqE7s6wMlttlU3Z42r0SVnHEaLUe

Located in Hoenamu-ro-6-gilI, Itaewon, Daesung Church is situated strategically facing the Namsan Tower, which is perfect for cinematic shots like this one in episode 2. I was wowed with the "I have a dream!" slogan there while Hye Joon is sprinting away from his friends.

How to get here

• Noksapyeong (Yongsan-gu Office) Station [녹사평(용산구청)역], Seoul Subway Line 6, Exit 2 . (8 min. walk)

Hoenamu-ro 6-gil [회나무로6길] is a small pathway in Seoul’s neighborhood Itaewon [Itaewon-dong/이태원동] in the Yongsan District [Yongsan-gu/용산구]. Its entry point lies just west off Daeseong Church [대성교회] at Hoenamu Street [Hoenamu-ro/회나무로] and if you continue walking straight, you’ll see Maruku Kitchen [마루쿠식당] and Joy’s Parlor [조이의공간] when taking a right into Noksapyeong-daero 46-gil [녹사평대로46길] at the t-cross road. It is also in walking distance to/from Itaewon Children’s Park [이태원어린이공원].

Episode 2 : G A N G C H O N   S T A T I O N 

The beautiful landscape shot in episode 2 is taken from Bukhangangbyeon-gil , Gangchon Station (Closed Station ) . 

ACtC-3dLaxWfmFfX69p8WN8RPK_pVB23nsGbF60M

The Gangchon Rail Park, built on the discontinued train line is the largest rail bike course in Korea. From the popular Gangchon Rail Park, visitors pedal on the 2/4-seater rail bike to enjoy breathtaking mountainous countryside and Bukhan River scenery, uniquely different in each season.

• You can add this place in your itinerary when you plan to visit Nami/ Petite France
  • Tourist information  here
Spoiler

Gangchon Rail Park (강촌 레일파크)

Some beautiful scenery found here

sources : 1 and 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Episode 4! Have I mentioned how much I love this drama? It's actually scaled down to being such an intimate drama. I absolutely love the scenes with HJ and JH, and their banter back and forth interspersed with real concerns. I'm gaining even more respect for the writing because it feels true. That is how friends talk, and JH and HJ are friends now. It was cute when JH says that fandom and real life shouldn't mix and so since they're friends now, she was going to quit being a fan. However, a quick note about that. JH had used a word which doesn't just means that she's a fan, but that she's an obsessive fan. So, it's only right that she stop being a stalker fan now that they're friends. Of course, HJ's comeback is to be a bit wistful that he's losing a fan when he doesn't have that many fans to start with. JH's comeback to that bit is to say that he must have loads of girls liking him, but HJ is just as quick to respond that being liked for one's looks isn't the same as having fans. JH responds to that by saying that HJ does know that he's good looking. The piece continues in that vein, one comment leading to another.

I appreciate that both JH and HJ are self-reflecting people. They have thought about themselves and what they want, as well as taken stock of their world. And while both their thinking and their desires may evolve, they are not just drifting through life, oblivious to everything.

This episode continued to further develop the other characters, including showing HJ's brother Kyung Joon. Probably because he's been favored by his father and told how he was always right, KJ has developed an inflexible, holier than thou attitude which was bound to rub people the wrong way, including his supervisors. Hopefully, KJ's arc is not just to be knocked down some, but to develop more empathy and sympathy for others.

I also loved HJ's ending monologue to this episode that comments on how people are born to "gold spoons" or "dirt spoons" depending on their parents' fortunes, however, to an actor, a "spoon" is just another utensil, and that's why he wanted so much to be an actor. Very cool.

Will probably be back to write more about this later, but for now, here is a translation of the ep 5 preview.

HJ: I was very excited. I liked it so much that I couldn’t think of anything else.
HH Mother: Have you by any chance seen my watch?
HH Mother: There is no one who would have touched it other than you.
HJ Father: Does that make any sense?
KJ: There is a thing called reasonable suspicion.
MJ: Jjajjang or jjamppong?
JH/HJ: Jjajjang!
HJ: Jjijjibong (me: This is something you say when two people say something at the exact same time. Kind of like saying “you owe me a coke” in America.)
MJ: Are you two dating?
JH/HJ: Sister! (me: JH uses the term a girl would call her older sister while HJ uses the term a guy would call his older sister.)
JH: It’s really strange. Every time I meet you, it rains.
HJ: I just kept thinking about it, the character of Su Ryun.
HH: He seems like a different person.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

This video is a 10 minute synopsis of HJ's career progression in ep 4. I didn't put translations or summaries on it, since not sure if anyone hasn't watched it already with subtitles who wants it. If anyone does want a summary of it, though, tag me.

The scenes with HJ and MJ are just all adorable. Seol In Ah cameos as HJ's ex-gf, and I just don't understand how she could dump him! But, what was really cool was when HJ improvises his scene as more fitting his character, and the male lead protests because it makes HJ look too important, but the PD thinks it's a good idea. The ML of the film and HJ had had run-in's before, and HJ realizing that the ML was the male lead tells him he's happy with his own role now, which it turns out is because his character gets to beat up the ML. Anyway, HJ looks so BOSS in his suit and in character, though the meta's are killing me. PBG looking amazing in the role as a model who wants to be an actor who looks amazing in the role as a chaebol villain. LOL

One other thing, MJ comments at one point that in films, the heros are the poor guys while the villains are rich, but in dramas, that the heroes are the rich guys. I thought about that for a bit and realized that there is a lot of truth to her point. This drama is so meta! :laugh:

Plus, a Park Seo Joon cameo! So cool! Now, I just want V to cameo and my heart will burst in happiness!

• Like 2