Record of Youth 청춘기록 [2020]

1600288585-image.png

credit: allkpop

I had thought that the scene where the three guys are getting shots against cervical cancer was a PSA (public service announcement), but I guess some people had thought that it was PPL (product placement) instead. The production of the drama came out to say it definitely was not PPL. Good on them to deliver a message that guys maybe needed to know.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2020/09/the-scene-where-the-cast-of-record-of-youth-including-park-bo-gum-receiving-cervical-cancer-vaccination-was-not-a-ppl

• Like 1

I was really surprised at the walloping that this show has been getting in other parts of the web because to my mind there's actually a lot to like about this show. It does have problems... pacing being one of them but I like what they're trying to achieve here in terms of trying to break the rom com mould here and there.

The Sa family in this are very relatable. Maybe it's the fact I was raised by Asians that a lot of it feels painfully familiar.  :P Sure some of the back and forth has been cranked up for dramatic purposes but I remember having similar types of conversations with my parents at that age. Now I'm having the same sorts of chats with my kids minus the shouting and the yelling. Frankly I find Dad and Other Brother unnecessarily adversarial... tending towards an intra-family tribalism LOL. They're reminding me of the biblical feud among Jacob, Esau, Isaac and Rebecca.

When I watch this I am reminded of my favourite Taiwanese dramas... hugely talky, highly introspective and lots of homespun moralizing/philosophising. I'm no expert on the language but there seems to me a lot rapid fire repartee going on especially between the leads. Unlike other rom coms I can see why Hye-jun and Jeong-an are drawn to each other. Not only do they communicate with such charming honesty, they are at a similar place in life at this point... struggling and trying not to lose themselves in the mire of competition for scarce opportunities. I am also wondering if the drama will go down the route of the C movie Fall in Love Like a Star... in which success comes between the two people. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. I am really enjoying Park So Dam (hard to believe she's already 29)  in this... I love her character Jeong-ha... sober or drunk and it's not too much of a stretch to see why PBG's Hye-ju's is increasingly fascinated by her and why he's spending more time with her of late than with his other friends.

One of the more interesting aspects is the almost realistic depiction that no one can make it on their own. Hard work alone apparently isn't enough. It's true and true to life. It's commendable that Hye-jun wants to make it on his own merits. But the reality is that no one can. Everyone needs people to go to bat for them and support them. Moreover, building networks have their place. There's certainly an inherent unfairness when one has a much greater head start with wealthy bossy parents. It's more than just a matter of getting a leg up. Or even two legs up.

Finally... I love badass PBG... that last scene in Episode 4 caused me to miss the PBG from Hello Monster. I am convinced that he really needs to play bad guys far more often. It's where he really excels. 

• Like 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Gosh. Yes to this more badass Bo Gum.

14340511.png

It's what I've been nagging about after Reply 88. He's already wearing the sunny/good boy image in real life, there's no need to continue with it in dramas/movies. I want to see diveristy and badass because look how awesome he was in it. I'm gutted it's just a short scene. :letalQQ:

Edited by mademoisellesia
  • Like 5

@mademoisellesia I enjoyed his villain role as well and wish the scenes will still be prolonged in the next episode. 

@stroppyse Somehow I'm still here haha. Not bad, I think the FL character still hold into her view for not dating. I wonder if she have any background story as why she never loved anyone before. 

I think the show has its own charm despite all the multiple clicheness. 

Strop, wink wink, what the OTP discussed about?

• Like 4

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

🅡🅔🅒🅞🅡🅓 🅞🅕 🅨🅞🅤🅣🅗

𝕗𝕚𝕝𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕝𝕠𝕔𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟

Episode 3 : S T A R F I E L D   L I B R A R Y

Their first "date" showcased COEX Mall areas , including Starfield Library. 

Located in the center of COEX Mall, Starfield Library is an open public space where anyone can freely come to sit down, take a break, and immerse themselves in books along with other bibliophiles.

In addition, a plethora of events take place here such as meeting with authors, book talks, poetry reading, lectures, book concerts, and more

Website

How to get here

Eolmadang Street, Hongdae District

It is also along Hongdae District. If you love to walk ,you can enjoy sightseeing of the instagram worthy buildings, window shopping, eat street food and cafe hopping. It's a good place for RoY because it is a melting pot of different youth-oriented activities. 

Spoiler

KB Youth Step at Hongik University

e802242d214f73226a5e27cd4f06ede4.png

Near Hongdae Subway Station , exit 9

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Wow, I am totally sold on PBG after that final movie scene! His facial expressions changed in so many ways in just that few seconds and it had me wondering what sort of character he was playing. I am thinking a psychopath who uses his pretty face to hide his psychopathic tendencies? Lol! I am looking forward to see how Hye-jun will continue to steal the show!

It was infuriating to see that his former manager managed to bounce back and have moved onto an even bigger gig despite his questionable business tactics. I like how Hye-jun is holding fast to his principles and values currently but I cant help but feel he will also need to find a balance between his values and to make further strides in the business. He is similar to his brother in this regard, that they are both rather stubborn in their beliefs.

This episode made it clear that Hye-hyo's mother acts as his unofficial manager, whether HH likes it or not. Just like how HJ and HH are compared, there are also comparisons beginning to be drawn between HH's mother and Manager Min-jae. Manager Min-jae is definitely a savvy one, knowing she needs to reach out to reporters, just as HH's mother did!

JH be dropping truth bombs as always! It's really cool of her to want to face things straight on always, from wanting to contact HJ after admitting she likes him, apologising to her work sunbe and trying to re-establish the hierarchy with HH's mother. Thank goodness, everyone is seeing through that work sunbae. I am getting rather sick of it though so I hope it escalates sooner than later.

JH and HJ's banter is   :1000:. Moments of awareness of HJ's part this episode was really nice. Did everyone notice the name of the convenience store is "I Like You"? *squeals!

I realised that HJ's grandfather is played by a veteran actor that I have seen many times in other dramas before. But the haircut he sports in this drama is so drastically from his usual look, that he looks like a completely different man!

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

@wallflowersforjane @mademoisellesia The CEO role of Hye Joon feels like a reference to Yoo Ah In’s iconic character in Jo Tae-oh in The Veteran. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

I actually notice “meta cameo” coming from excerpts of actor’s lives in this drama. For example, the rift between Hye Joo and his father of about going to acting instead of pursuing other careers reminds me of Lee Joon Gi’s story on how he left Busan to study acting in Seoul. He started as a model.

tvN treat of episode 4 last scene— extended clip ! 

• Like 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

6 hours ago, wallflowersforjane said:

It was infuriating to see that his former manager managed to bounce back and have moved onto an even bigger gig despite his questionable business tactics.

Agreed that it was infuriating, but I think it was also realistic. There are some people who are slimy but still manage to land on their feet time and time again. The nice guys don't always get to win while the slimeballs get what's coming to them. Though, I'm hoping that the manager will ultimately get his downfall in this drama still since dramas can write stuff like that in.

This episode made it clear that Hye-hyo's mother acts as his unofficial manager, whether HH likes it or not. Just like how HJ and HH are compared, there are also comparisons beginning to be drawn between HH's mother and Manager Min-jae. Manager Min-jae is definitely a savvy one, knowing she needs to reach out to reporters, just as HH's mother did!

Ageed that HH's mother is actually his manager rather than his "official" manager. Still curious how HH will react when he realizes everything his mother has done for him in order to get his "success". Will he be grateful for it? Or will he become dispirited that it's not his talent that's been getting him even the small measure of success he enjoys.

I really like MJ a lot! She might be a newbie, but she does know the industry, and she's willing to do what it takes to make her charge a success. I'm looking forward to MJ being grandfather's manager as well.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:25 AM, SilverMoonTea said:

stroppyse Somehow I'm still here haha. Not bad, I think the FL character still hold into her view for not dating. I wonder if she have any background story as why she never loved anyone before. 

Glad to see that you're still here and watching this. Now you have me wondering if there is a background story for why she's never dated. I had assumed that it was because she was so focused on her desk job and achieving financial security before so that she could pursue her passion of being a makeup artist, and now that she's achieved that, she's very focused on becoming a successful make up artist.

@bluepebbles, good call on the character from Veteran! I totally got those vibes as well. The conversation that HJ has with his father about acting versus other steadier work is one that is probably had by a lot of entertainers with their families, I'm sure. The entertainment industry is brutal for the most part, so to spend 7 years trying to make it and not succeed would probably stress any parents out about the viability of their child to support himself and make a living in that field.

JH and HJ's banter is   :1000:.

I love HJ and JH's banter in this drama. It feels realistic as if 2 friends really talking, if they were both fast with their responses plus witty and somewhat opinionated as well. Their dialogue reminds me more of the older American movies with feisty heroines, or possibly an Aaron Sorkin piece albeit Korean style.

• Like 4
  • Star Struck 1

@SilverMoonTea, here is a translation of the clip you wanted. Also, you may want to tag me properly next time you would like a translation. :)

Caption says that this is from the behind the scenes talk by the actors for episodes 1-4. The full version of this is on Naver under Record of Youth.

Translation of their conversation. Cute.

PBG: Do you remember this?
PSD: Of course I remember. How could I forget?
PBG: Well, it’s a bit much for me to say it myself. However, the feeling and the anticipation that you got when you first looked into my eyes, tell me how that felt in 5 characters.
PSD: Oh my gosh (in Hangul, that’s said/written in 5 characters. LOL)
PBG: Ohhhhh
PSD: I have one more.
PSD: Thank you (in Hangul, that’s said/written in 5 characters)
PBG: Actress So Dam, you know how you might have a fervent wish to meet a certain actor?
PSD: There is.
PBG: Who is that?
PSD: Kim Hye Soo sunbae-nim. (addressing camera) I really want to meet you one day.
(Wordplay regarding Jeong Ha's extreme fandom.  “deok” “gae” “mot”. These three characters make up a phrase that means something like fanstalking insight. PSD uses the characters to form a longer phrase which means the following.)
PSD: Fanstalking is unable to win the prize.

(This time with "deok" "eop" "ir" "chi" which together means something like the truth of fanstalking, which PSD uses to create the following.)
PSD: Fanstalking and work do not go well together.
PSD: For me...you were my everything.
PBG: A line from a drama that I really enjoyed watching comes to mind.
PBG: I really like Answer Me 1988 very much.
caption: The line from Answer Me 1999: “The only one for me was always you” (me: In Korean, this line and PSD’s line of “For me…you were my everything” are said in very similar ways.)
PSD: Oh!
PBG: But hearing that said directly to me is really fascinating.
PBG: So I was your everything?
PSD: Of course~
PBG: Thank you
PSD: It had been you, but then you appeared in front of my eyes. And you saw me drop the skin cleanser.
PBG: I saw
PSD: My hand was shaking…
PBG: You didn’t drop it on purpose, did you?
PSD: No, I didn’t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2
11 hours ago, bluepebbles said:

I actually notice “meta cameo” coming from excerpts of actor’s lives in this drama. For example, the rift between Hye Joo and his father of about going to acting instead of pursuing other careers reminds me of Lee Joon Gi’s story on how he left Busan to study acting in Seoul. He started as a model.

That's so cool, I didn't know that. This drama definitely seems to reference many of the inside stories and practices of this industry.

10 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I really like MJ a lot! She might be a newbie, but she does know the industry, and she's willing to do what it takes to make her charge a success. I'm looking forward to MJ being grandfather's manager as well.

Oh gosh! Yes! That would be so fun! I can see them all coming together to build a unique new entertainment company. And with a name like jjampong to symbolise a harmonious coming together of different ingredients.

10 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Still curious how HH will react when he realizes everything his mother has done for him in order to get his "success". Will he be grateful for it? Or will he become dispirited that it's not his talent that's been getting him even the small measure of success he enjoys.

I think he might lean into it when he realises that he can't compete with HJ on natural talent and needs the help. Currently he assumes he's the more naturally talented of the two and is achieving his successes organically, and therefore can afford to be benevolent since HJ is not a threat. But based on the preview, it seems HH will soon realise HJ is much better than him and perhaps through other interactions on the movie set, he will soon discover his mother's machinations.

• Like 4

Noo... please no triangle love :(

Preview for ep 6

Rough trans:

HJ: Do you want to watch movie together?

JH: The fact that we're together, I'm confused whether it's real or not

HJ's mom: He(HJ) said he will join a mini series drama

HH's mom: Pretend that you don't know about it, at least until he tell it to you

HJ's ex manager: I plan to continue blocking him

MJ: I feel I'm not good enough to work as manager

HJ: Not picking up her call, it's the worst attitude

HH: Do you want to eat dinner together?

JH: I already have a plan, with Hye Jun

HJ: Grandpa!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

5 hours ago, LaLa said:

Noo... please no triangle love :(

I figured that there would be a love triangle. I just hope that it's not an unbearable one.

I think the issue is that HH hasn't really come across a girl who he liked who didn't like him back. Being handsome, rich, and a pretty nice guy as well. JH seems to be the first girl who he's noticed who doesn't really care what he thinks about her and isn't flattered by his attention. That actually meant that it got his attention. And then JH turned out to be a pretty cool, grounded person, so his interest was definitely engaged.

And, also, despite HH's close friendship with HJ, HH is used to being the one who is more noticed and more successful. HH wants HJ to be successful also, but it probably had not occurred to him that HJ could find success where HH can't. So, the fact that JH likes HJ and not himself also probably touched his ego.

So, HH is already intrigued by JH, and his pride has been touched as well, so I can see him trying to win over JH. What I'm curious to know is whether HH talks to HJ about whether HJ likes JH as well before HH flat out pursues JH. That would be the most respectful of his friendship with HJ.

I hope the friendship can be preserved and that HH won't become a total jerk.

• Like 5

Ohmygosh! I finally saw episode 5, and I couldn't help screaming at the ending scene!

Spoiler

I think it's too early for the OTP to really get together. Plus HJ only says that he thinks he likes JH rather than saying that he does like her, so I think this may get brushed aside some how. However, I was still happy that HJ was so straightforward with JH about his feelings.

That's what I appreciate about HJ and JH, that they are so truthful to each other. And, I love how they tease each other about how they like that the other one is so truthful in order to get them to admit something obvious. LOL

Btw, for anyone watching the Netflix subs, the subs are a tiny bit off. HJ tells JH that she'a high maintenance kind of person, meaning that he constantly has to look out for her. She objects to that saying that she's usually the one who takes care of others rather than having others take care of her. The Netflix subs translated that to JH being "clumsy", but I don't think that captures what HJ says and why JH is so indignant about it.

On the one hand, can't wait for episode 6. On the other hand, the preview seems to show that it's the start of the love triangle which I'm reluctant for it to go down too far that path.

But, HJ as the chaebol heir with a taste for violence definitely gave me feels from his role in Hello, Monster which was both scary and moving.

• Like 3

The show happily goes from strength to strength. I'm pleased that I can sit through a PBG drama that I don't need to fast forward. Whatever it is that I'm getting from the dialogue seems to be a goldmine. Even though the banter and the repartee has to be mediated through a translator for me, I can sense the fast and furious witticisms at play. The family meeting for one was an absolute hoot. It was like watching verbal table tennis. Everyone had their say and said exactly what they thought. No one got away with saying stuff without some kind of pushback. It's all-too-clear that some are on different wavelengths to others. Grandpa implying that Gyeong-jun is a conman took the cake. He's right though. :P That entire interaction was nicely compared and contrasted with the other family... the wealthier one... in the high end restaurant sipping expensive victuals with the sense that Mum (I-Yeong) is the real puppet master and dad has his head stuck in his ivory tower cloud. In both instances the show clearly stipulates that mother is the glue that binds these people together.

I can't help feeling a satirical edge to this show. Speaking from a place of ignorance, my feeling is that this a 21st century SK that is in transition navigating its relationship with modernity. Many of the popular tropes are there and while I wouldn't say that the writer turns them on their head, he/she messes around with them. In a real enough way both mums are trying to support their kids and their families in the best way they know how. I'm no fan of I-Yeong and I'm sure her modus operandi will come back and bite her but she does care about her kids. Besides she's bored and neglected.  Plus there's very little understanding between husband and wife. He's an egghead and she's a socialite. There's no doubt that she's capable and resourceful even if there's a streak of snobbery in her interactions with people of a lower socio-economic group. But I'm sure that's deliberate. Underlying all that is a commentary about a changing Korea... the place of the working mother, the relationships between the sexes, that between parents and children. 

At least that's the impression I'm getting.

I think it was clear that a love triangle was on the cards two or three episodes ago although I don't think Jeong-ha has eyes for anyone but Hye-jun. She's always liked him and then found even greater justification for liking him when she got to know him personally.  Even though this isn't an OTP that sizzles, I love how grounded it is. The good natured honesty between them always has me smiling from ear to ear. I'm somewhat astonished but delighted at how quickly Hye-jun confessed to Jeong-ha. It's a smart fellow who knows a good thing when he sees it and grabs hold of it. Although I don't object to a bit of push and pull, it is refreshing to see two people who like each other not afraid to acknowledge it. However, I don't doubt that this does portend ominous things ahead. There will be a hiccoughs along the way (Hae-ho probably being one of them) but that's part and parcel of the trajectory they have embarked on. As long as they remain true to themselves and each other, they'll come good in the end.

TBH I don't really know that HH was ever in contention. I do wonder if his interest in JH is really about her or about the fact that he knows that HJ is attracted to her. Even if he can afford to be generous to his friend because things are going well for him, it would be interesting to see how he reacts to the fact that for the first time in their relationship, HJ pips him at the post. Evidently I don't feel that I know HH enough to be sure of his motives. My feeling is that despite the nice guy demeanour he's not that different to his mother in how he manoeuvres in the world. It's not as if he's embarrassed with his wealth and his fame and that's obvious by how he's learnt how to leverage it for his benefit. But as the song goes, there are really some things fame and money just can't buy. 

Watching PBG do his badass chaebol shtick reminds me of how he stole the show in Hello Monster. There's no doubt that he's a hardworking multi-talented sweetheart but I'm hoping that his career will be like that of Namgoong Min, Choi Won-young etc etc with a large and varied body of work alternating between protagonists, antagonists and antiheroes. And he seemed like he was having so much fun brawling with Park Do-a. 

• Like 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

🅡🅔🅒🅞🅡🅓 🅞🅕 🅨🅞🅤🅣🅗

𝕗𝕚𝕝𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕝𝕠𝕔𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟

Episode 5: The Confession Scene

ACtC-3d3BsnlIKXImsyNDx3tTs-qgN-HC3oaaHCiACtC-3cEg2_swTKHF4v3QYOANOLcTbVStNS4yCSs

This iconic scene in episode 5 is filmed at Mural Alleyway located at Mapo-gu Seoul. 

2539007_image_11.jpg

The area of Yeonnam-dong is threaded with many unusual alleyways, each with its own unique vibe. One of these streets is Yeonnam-dong mural alleyway. Known as a photo zone among youths in their 20’s and 30’s, the alleyway makes for great Instagram shots to show off your trip.

How to get here:

ArtPlatz
☞ Address: 35, Seongmisan-ro 26-gil, Mapo-gu, Seoul (서울특별시 마포구 성미산로26길 35)
☞ Directions: Walk for approx. 10 min from Hongik Univ. Station (Seoul Subway Line 2, Gyeongui-Jungang Line, Airport Railroad), Exit 3 . 

• Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

So, happy about the kiss, but worried about where things are going with JH and HJ. Too many ominous notes in this episode. The angst is coming!

Also, when HJ cries, I can't help but cry with him... :cry:  Anyway, I'm glad that JH is there for him now.

Will be back later to talk more about the episode, and speculate on where this drama seems to be heading. Got a bad feeling in my stomach. This is definitely not a romantic comedy.

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

🅡🅔🅒🅞🅡🅓 🅞🅕 🅨🅞🅤🅣🅗

𝕗𝕚𝕝𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕝𝕠𝕔𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟

Episode 6: The Kissing Scene

I didn't expect this scene to be located in a place I went before. :eeeee:

ACtC-3dhGQj8M4Nc_Lixrv4gutsVXWjb9R1QSLGeACtC-3fF2xDoR_862Ni5IOLsfo1LnxzuNb3TzLTv

This lovely scenic spot  is located at the Baegot Haneul Park  in Siheung , Gyeonggi-do. An hour away from Seoul. I went to an area near here in Odio Red Lighthouse port. This entire Siheung baywalk area is a perfect place for sunset viewing , stroll in the park like what Jeongha and Hye Joon did. You can visit Odio first for their famous seafood restaurant block then proceed here in the park.

Spoiler

Address
61 Haesongsimni-ro, Jeongwang 3(sam)-dong, Siheung-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
경기 시흥시 해송십리로 61
(정왕동 2590)

Instagram: @baegot_hanul_park

Getting here
Oido Station [정왕역], Seoul Subway Line 4, Exit 1
(about 40 min. via public transport)

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

22 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So, happy about the kiss, but worried about where things are going with JH and HJ. Too many ominous notes in this episode. The angst is coming!

Also, when HJ cries, I can't help but cry with him... :cry:  Anyway, I'm glad that JH is there for him now.

Will be back later to talk more about the episode, and speculate on where this drama seems to be heading. Got a bad feeling in my stomach. This is definitely not a romantic comedy.

Why are you getting ominous feelings?

I felt so sad while watching ep 6. HJ pretended to be strong in front of MJ. He was disappointed of course, but he tried to act cool so that she wouldn't feel too guilty about it. But after that, the emptiness that I could see in his eyes, when he looked around the library, or when he tried to make himself busy with studying from the video, it just hurt. And then he got slapped by his dad which was the final straw. :letalQQ:

I really glad he has JH by his side.

I hope HJ and JH can fulfil and reach success and their dream together. I really hope there's no triangle love, but it looks like HH made up his mind and wanted to choose love over friendship. Please HH no T_T. I thought he wanted to make a name for himself without his mother's help. But he hasn't realized about it, yet..... 

• Like 3

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

2 hours ago, LaLa said:

Why are you getting ominous feelings?

In the scene near the beginning as HJ is walking away from JH to go home after having walked her home, he says that he wanted to turn around to see if she was still watching him walk away, but he didn't. He says he should have so that he could have met her eyes once again and should have cherished their start more, if only he had known how things would turn out. :cry:

Ominous.

• Like 2