Navillera 나빌레라 [2021]

8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

P.S. One little thing about the title of this drama which I'm not sure if it's come up. Navi (or Nabi) is butterfly, so they combined "Navi" as in dancing like a butterfly with "Cinderella" to come up with "Navillera". If you think about the fact that Koreans pronounce their L's and their R's exactly the same, you may also understand why the English spelling is "Navillera" rather than "Navirella".

Thanks for the note. I have been wondering about the title. Is it a famous song ballerinas dance to? But I don’t recognize it at all 😆 Using Navirella would be nice, but I have to admit that Navillera looks better in terms of the spelling haha...

• Like 5

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Are you guys used to his hair colour now?

I pretend that it's a darker color every time. :eeeee:

Last week was a busy week for me so I didn't get a chance to stop by to comment on the episodes, but I'm off this week so I'll be able to comment more! :jinbtsyes:

You're not alone, @mademoiselle! I cried watching a couple of the scenes too especially towards the end when Halmoni called Chae Rok because she couldn't find Haraboji. :cry:

I feel like I was a proud parent watching Chae Rok show Halmoni what he's capable of. Haha! 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Song Kang Wholeheartedly Supports Park In Hwan As He Puts On His First Performance As A Ballerino In “Navillera”

navillera-31.jpg

tvN’s heartwarming drama “Navillera” unveiled new stills of Song Kang and Park In Hwan!

Based on a popular webtoon of the same name, “Navillera” is about Shim Duk Chool (Park In Hwan), who begins ballet at the age of 70, and Lee Chae Rok (Song Kang), a 23-year-old ballerino who gets lost while chasing his dreams.

Spoilers

Previously, Lee Chae Rok suffered a leg injury during a scuffle with Yang Ho Beom (Kim Kwon). This put a halt in his plans to enter a competition. His teacher Ki Seung Joo (Kim Tae Hoon) was worried Lee Chae Rok would end up like him and forbid him from taking part in it. However, Lee Chae Rok refused to give up and expressed his desire to participate in the competition.

Spoiler

navillera-11.jpg

On April 12, the drama released two sets of stills that gave a glimpse of what will happen in the next episode.

First off, Shim Duk Chool is spotted doing a ballet recital in front of ballerinas. His expression is rigid with nervousness, and he places his hand over his heart as if he’s trying to calm down his thumping heart. Shim Duk Chool manages to muster up the courage to carry on with his performance, and he shows off elegant moves with flexible fingertips. Lee Chae Rok applauds heartily with a broad smile on his face. He is proud that his first student has grown enough to present in front of ballerinas, and it will be intriguing to see what Shim Duk Chool will do next in order to fulfill his goal of becoming a ballerino.

navillera-21.jpg

The second set of stills show Lee Chae Rok experiencing a stressful moment.

Lee Chae Rok is in the changing room of the ballet studio with a look of disbelief on his face. His face is pale with seriousness, and his expression gradually stiffens as if he is faced with an unbelievable reality. Then he starts to shed tears, leaving viewers to wonder what happened to him.

The production team hinted, “Today, Lee Chae Rok will come across a shocking fact about Shim Duk Chool. Please watch the broadcast to see what new crisis has come to the duo.”

song-kang.jpg

Episode 7 of “Navillera” will air on April 12 at 9 p.m. KST.

Sources (1) (2) via soompi

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

New stills

tvN has shared a peek at a touching moment in the upcoming episode of “Navillera”!

Based on a popular webtoon of the same name, “Navillera” is about Shim Duk Chool (Park In Hwan), who begins ballet at the age of 70, and Lee Chae Rok (Song Kang), a 23-year-old ballerino who gets lost while chasing his dreams.

Spoilers

In the previous episode, Shim Duk Chool finally made his debut as a ballerino. However, after performing in front of numerous ballerinas, his symptoms of dementia worsened for a while. Lee Chae Rok found out that Shim Duk Chool had Alzheimer’s, breaking viewers’ hearts and raising questions about what will happen in the future.

On April 13, the drama released new stills of the next episode. In the photos, Lee Chae Rok is putting on a ballet performance in front of Shim Duk Chool. Lee Chae Rok shows off his refined and elegant moves in the middle of the street, and his eyes are more desperate and affectionate than ever. Shim Duk Chool’s face is lit up with joy and tenderness as he watches Lee Chae Rok unfold their dreams before his eyes. The snowflakes showering over them increases the sentimental atmosphere of this meaningful scene.

source

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4

I join you @Tofu in crying buckets! I had no idea Haraboji already knew of his condition.

CoarseUnfortunateFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

Feels like a roller coaster ride where my emotions go up & down depending on Haraboji. It seems to be the theme of this show, one moment the characters are hit with some challenges and then next they overcome it. I'm so happy Haraboji gets to dance at the ballet company after being encouraged by the disabled ballerina. I've no idea what he did though, I'll just pretend he did more than what was shown. LOL.

I was hoping Halmoni would invite Chae Rok over for dinner after he found Haraboji but she didn't. That was a bit disappointing. I am also glad Chae Rok cheered up and made a wise decision about not going forward with this competition.

f44d5348410664cac321686dc6600c6420f5cb9b2ec2e4405032462f6623a174b570a8d9c121392e6c100e944d34c63a55850de3aed953fe0a00115f

source: dingyuxi

Enter at your own risk:

Spoiler

117787fc5a9799a50ee00564b28a4845b0fbc57a427fcc18b5a1f5dc9eae6a279f243a8bbf9d355c670efb4bc825d60611ac6f1ef7623cd1b8132d03fcb13ff3198821c39b2d58c2922f7a4c950ed35ea0da6d7410017042e98f16435f676fe2119e826dbe5186abdfea55b50414f95e94ead19de84fa5415a36fe5211e721a8cc661b690fe6377059a38097

My name is Sim Deok-chul. I have Alzheimer’s. NAVILLERA (2021) dir. Hang Dong Hwa

Source: earthmixs

Time flies. This drama will end in 2 weeks. Please Drama God, be good to Haraboji.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Pass me some buckets too @Tofu @mademoiselle That last bit was very well done. No wonder he keeps a notebook handy. Can you imagine a 70 yo crying out to his mom and dad? How lost he must’ve been feeling about finding out his condition... I really wish he will tell his family soon but I can also understand he doesn’t want them to be worried and then start limiting his life. 

The ballet in wheelchair was so beautiful I teared up... I’ve seen basketball on wheels but this is the first time I see ballet performed on wheelchair. Indeed, we must not be boxed in by what is the norm, but set the mind free and be creative. That was such a beautiful message. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

7 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Can you imagine a 70 yo crying out to his mom and dad? How lost he must’ve been feeling about finding out his condition

That part increase my tears. Agree he didn't want to tell them especially after the big fit his eldest son threw with him learning ballet. :nervous::cry:

8 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

The ballet in wheelchair was so beautiful I teared up

Me too. I like the message that she's not depressed with what happened to her and is still actively involved in the profession.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

I just finished eps 7 ...haroboji! :pandasad:

The amazing thing about Haroboji is that he never gives up. Life has never been easy for him - he worked hard for his family and even when he met with an accident he proved the doctor wrong and got back on the bike and to his job. That tenacity as a person saw him through many hardships. I cannot imagine if one day the doc tells me that I have Alzheimer's or something , if I can be as strong emotionally. It was hard for him , but from all his note-taking and his determination to dance, we know he is not going to let that condition beat him. Yes, drama please be good to haroboji. 

Spoiler

My grandma had Alzheimer's and it was not easy seeing her go through it , the loss of memory is real. She remembered things of old but she could not recall the present . She once climbed over the gate to "escape" and we had to search every where for her. She even gave my mum some "jewellery" and asked her to hide it lest the soldiers found it ( she thought she was in WW2) . I felt so sad because grandma was the backbone and matriarch of the family, and to see her memory degenerate like that was beyond heartbreaking. 

I love that we saw the lady in the wheelchair dance. Dance is a creative art form and an expression of oneself, and it is more than talent and techniques . I am so glad haroboji got to feel what it was like to perform for an audience even if it was an impromptu thing. 

• Heart Eyes 2
  • Sad 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I agreed, @mademoiselle. I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster with both episodes this week. One minute I'm laughing at how much they continue to banter and the next minute I'm crying my eyes out. :pandasadspoon:

The bathhouse scene in today's episode was really nice. Haraboji tells Chae Rok that men bond by going to to the bathhouse together. I love that Chae Rok is getting to experience these moments with Haraboji -- moments that he should have had with his father. Also, I loved that prior to going Haraboji guilt trip Chae Rok, who eventually caved in. :laugh:

A part of me feels like Chae Rok should tell the family, but I also understand his hesitation. This should be something that Haraboji tell them. Maybe he can encourage Haraboji to tell them? This is a serious condition and something tells me that his family is going to need some time to process it when they find out. 

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Can you imagine a 70 yo crying out to his mom and dad? How lost he must’ve been feeling about finding out his condition.

I felt the same way when I watched that scene too. Haraboji must have felt so lost to the point that he cried out to his parents. Then I thought about how amazing it is that whenever we feel lost in our lives, our parents are one of the first people we think about. It's as if they can make things right again if they were there. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

After watching eps 8, haroboji's biggest legacy is not what he could or could not achieve in his life . But rather it was how his zest for life , his enthusiasm , his care and concern for those around him brought tangible growth in their lives. Chae Rok who used to be so aloof , has opened up so much. I love that he was so worried about haroboji that he put up such a heartfelt dance at the end to help the old man regain his memories. Even CR's dance teacher has been touched by him - his ex wife could see the change - he has softened and haroboji had a part to play in that.  Ho Boem , whether he would admit it or not, has also been moved by the old man. That is why he told his gang to walk away after finding out he has Alzheimer's.

Every one has their struggles - I empathise with the 2nd daughter who had been hoping for a child for such a long time. She and her husband put up a happy cheerful front, but clearly we know now that there's an unfulfilled longing on their part to become parents. Am sure it took the youngest son some time to leave a "respectable" job as a doctor to go pursue his passion. The granddaughter is still trying to find what it is that she would want to do with her career. So life has really no simple answers - you just have to keep carrying on and not give up on yourself. And when the going is too tough, you don't have to beat yourself that you didn't make it. That was one of the important lessons for CR who finally realised that he needed to let his body heal instead of injuring it further by entering the competition.

• Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I was a sobbing mess at the end of ep.8... promised myself not to cry but at the beginning when they replayed him calling out for his father and mother, I cried again. And then when CR started to dance in front of Haraboji to jog his memory, I just cannot hold the tears in anymore. 

I will be back later with more thoughts. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Chae Rok dances for Haraboji

70931bc8b957b47c9fe16e297d7722f34bb6786e

85f3cf39ee4e461e97da1663312e4d5675508739

Spoiler

6510de74852404536fb5ade81c8c68823edd5ddb

1da4432b28431a49a652d594d47e842abdb41243

8b3d555c9802571f79444dfef79025b3a6f785fe

e76830a630d3ee8567a375deb4c1c7dfc25e4108

67e5af21f47fc9d05c7bbf04d21f1b86e875c39a

9b13507c61251f009da0a5428e8296ed1ecc5fbd

71c93bd6600f0304568aace7a6a2822900420eae

source: dingyuxi & earthmixs

This scene (and maybe the first scene they met) must have been shot much at the end because Song Kang's fringe was combed this way and the rest of the time he let it down. In addition, Song Kang did the spin more than once @abs-oluteM!!! He wasn't able to do it in any episode before! So how many spin did he do? 5???

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

The revelation in these 2 episodes kills me. All these times I thought Haraboji only found out he had Alzheimer's disease after he started ballet and that his decision was influenced by his friend's death. However this episode we find out he already knew for quite a while and he stumbled upon Chae Rok and got his memory back. Oh why are you so cruel, show?

To be honest I didn't cry buckets in the ending scene, maybe because I've already cried this morning when I was just reading the description of this scene. I also cried a little again when they repeated the beginning scene of him calling out to his parents. I also cried at the scene at the bath house.

I love Chae Rok for being such a sweet boy, worrying about Haraboji and following behind him making sure he's OK. Even a simple, "Well done" to Haraboji arriving home safely made me tear up. And what upsets me now the most is one day Haraboji's condition will worsen to the point that he cannot remember Chae Rok anymore :cry:. I don't want that! I want Chae Rok become a part of his family.

Before Chae Rok found Haraboji, he received a call. That was Ho Beom calling him, right? And I think having seen Chae Rok dances his heart out for Haraboji, something in Ho Beom is awaken too.

From episode 9 preview, the youngest son found out about his condition. Do you guys think he already knew because he was clearly flipping through Haraboji's notebook.

@abs-oluteM

how do you like his arms? Lol

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

From episode 9 preview, the youngest son found out about his condition. Do you guys think he already knew because he was clearly flipping through Haraboji's notebook.

@abs-oluteM

how do you like his arms? Lol

I think the son will start to suspect. Being a doc himself , he may be able to see the signs.

ahahahah SK's arms  are lovely. He really buffed up here compared to in Sweet Home , and his previous dramas. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This drama is going to end up breaking my heart, isn't it? It sets up this fantastic bromance between a man pursuing a long forgotten dream in his twilight years and a youth who doesn't truly understand his gifts or his desires. The youth is a bit broken, but the older man has alzheimer's and is slowly descending into dementia. It's hard not to start blubbering already. WHAT IS THIS DRAMA DOING TO ME ALREADY?

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2