Navillera 나빌레라 [2021]

@mademoiselle @Tofu I have started. 1st eps done!  Liked that we got to see quite a bit of dancing - sweet memories till I remember my bleeding toes. Then I don't feel inspired to go back to ballet. :pandascared:

The haroboji is the cutest. I admire his determination to learn this . Looks like he has worked hard all his life for his family , and this is the time for him to do something for himself. The oldest son is quite a prick, and has that holier than thou attitude. He was picking on his siblings on their father's birthday - I ended up feeling bad for haroboji & his wife who just wanted to have all their kids together. Haroboji was born at a time where pursuing things like ballet for a living was usually frowned upon. 

Chae Rok has a big chip on his shoulder which is linked to his father. Wonder what the father went to jail for.  Kim Kwon seems like a bully here but then again there may be more to their past then what we have seen thus far. Chae Rok's got some things he needs to iron out internally before he can regain form. I was actually very sad for him when he missed the audition to go see the dad , only to have missed meeting the latter. Maybe a blessing in disguise given his busted knee. He really needs to let that heal or risk not being able to dance professionally again.  He has not smiled at all & is so grumpy ....aigoo so far all the shows I have seen Song Kang in , he has not been very happy . LOL!

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM @Tofu Depending on how old you guys are but I think our grandparents were the ones with the most stories to tell, especially when they are the first generation immigrants to the countries we now reside. They would have also experienced WW2 as well. I don't ever remember mine talk about it and I was too young then to ask. Now it's all too late because none of them are around anymore. If yours are still around, do ask them to share their stories.

I had the chance to just sit, watch and listen to my dad and his old old old friends gather together as they reminisce their past (school days) and it was interesting. I also got to learn about their scandals (hahaha!) as well as the side that I would never know about my dad. He turns into a naughty kid when he's with them and become that annoying boy in the class would always annoy and tease you. SMH.

@abs-oluteM Hahaha it's true. Song Kang hasn't been in any "cheery" dramas since I knew him. From Love Alarm to Devil* to Sweet Home and now Navillera. It must be his personal choice of genre.

*Although in Devil, he did started out being cheerful and then later it was a bit of a mix and bittersweet for him. You've seen this right?

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

@mademoiselle Seeing haroboji made me miss my grandad (on dad's side ) whom I was close to. My grandad was 1st gen migrant to Malaysia. He did experience WW2 and had some interesting stories to tell when he was alive. My grandad was a very smart self-made man. He started off being a salesman on a bicycle selling Nestle products. He learned English himself. He and my grandmother worked hard and made sure all their kids and even his nephew could study abroad. My dad was fortunate to have studied in Ireland.

Yes, this is my 3rd Song Kang drama ( saw him in Devil, Sweet Home & now this) . He does the brooding bit well. I think he's very talented. 

I loved eps 2 too. I was so worried for haroboji when they tested him to stand on his toes for 1 minute. :pandawhat:. Even younger folks without training may not be able to do so  but haroboji's determination & tenacity saw him through. Just like how it was when he 1st trained as a mailman. I chuckled when Haroboji tried to hide his leotard and tights...I can imagine his family's reaction when they find out he is learning to be a dancer. 

Chae Rok & haroboji's interactions are the cutest. Chae Rok may find haroboji too nosy but soon he will come to love him the way the others do. The ladies at the studio and even CR's teacher find him adorable. Haroboji's enthusiasm and passion for dance , and for life will surely rub off on CR.  Haroboji's granddaughter is the intern at the restaurant right? Think she'll be the 1st one to find out about Haroboji's ballet lessons. And will there be romance between the two? Oh CR's teacher is definitely still in love with his ex wife, calling/ going to her to share about everything. 

• Heart Eyes 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I just finished the first 2 episodes and am in love :SquirtleWonderfull:

I adore Haraboji. The part when he said he lived his life earning a living and supporting his family while putting his own dreams to the side really resonated with me. It made me think back to my childhood, having all these dreams and ideas of what we’d like to pursue or become when we grow up, our future still ahead of us. But the reality is, not all of us have the luxury or the opportunity to do everything we’d like to do. I recall the time when I was deciding on which career to pursue and having to choose between what was considered “practical” vs what I actually enjoyed. Most of the time, practicality wins because how many of us can make a living off of dancing let’s say? 

I love that Navillera is giving us a story of an older man, deciding to finally pursue his dreams despite the odds being against him. It makes you root hard for him and also leaves one feeling like anything is possible. The courage he displays in going for it is admirable. I love that they chose ballet for this drama because it’s one of those things that one has to start young so age alone is already a major challenge. Can we still pursue our dreams and have a measure of success despite age and time being against us? 

Seeing haraboji work so hard is so inspiring. From showing up everyday, offering to help with the cleaning in exchange for simply being able to watch, to following Chae Rok and taking notes, to exercising and practicing over and over again - I just love and admire him. I wonder how his family is going to react when they find out. 

I am curious to find out why one of the sons quit being a doctor. I feel like there is more to it. Did he perhaps decide to leave a promising career to pursue something he loves? Maybe he’ll be the support system haraboji needs?

Chae Rok - I was sort of disappointed that he missed his audition considering that his teacher sees so much potential in him, so much so that he was confident he’d make it as the lead ballet in a year and having invested 4 years training him without receiving a dime. Makes you realize how much talent he must really have. 

I am curious to find out why his dad ended up in prison and why there seems to be so much animosity between him and his former soccer mates. 

This is definitely a drama I’m going to keep watching. Only two episodes in and I already love it so much. 

• Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 2

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

I have to say though that watching haraboji practice in his bathroom made me so nervous that he would fall and hit his head against the sink. I know it’s a drama but still! :shocked:

And when he was doing the balancé... gosh, could that timer go any slower?! The poor man was sweating and shaking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mouse said:

I have to say though that watching haraboji practice in his bathroom made me so nervous that he would fall and hit his head against the sink.

Don't worry, you'll not the only one. I was thinking exactly the same thing!

There was an episode still of exactly that scene and he was at the near end of 1 min and his face was all screwed up. I couldn't bear to look at that shot coz I'd cry again. LOL.

Exc8fV0U4AIQT22?format=jpg&name=large

Just notice, looks like Chae Rok is sick from this shot...?

• Like 4

I wonder what happens next... ep 2 ended with haraboji walking in on Chae Rok and his ex-friends. I am semi worried that they’re going to get into a fist fight and that Chae Rok will get hurt which would be very bad for him since he’s already got existing injuries. 

I hope that in the photo you posted above @mademoisellethat it’s just Chae Rok being sick and not that he’s injured

• Like 4

@mademoiselle - I absolutely agreed about the story telling! I only have a paternal grandma. I never knew my other grandparents because my grandpas passed away before I was born and my maternal grandma lived in a different country and passed away when I was a child. My grandma would tell stories about how my family moved to America to escape the war. I remember her telling me that because my siblings and cousins were all still very little, they gave them a little bit of tobacco so they wouldn't cry. :eeeee:I wasn't apart of this because my mom was pregnant with me at the time. Haha! I must have heard this story multiple times but every time, I can't believe how much my grandma, parents, and aunts/uncles sacrifice for the kids in my family. Sometimes Haraboji's motivation to do ballet reminds me of my grandma and walking. She goes on a walk around the neighborhood daily but lately she's had to stop because of all the hate crimes against Asians especially the elderlies where I live. I can't have anything happening to her because she's my only one. :nervous:

@Mouse - Yay! I'm so glad you're joining us! Seriously was thinking it was just going to be us three (Abs, mademoiselle and myself) watching. 

Not sure if Chae Rok looks sick or annoyed with Haraboji in that photo? :pandathink: Hahaha! Could be both too. :laugh:

I loved this scene of Haraboji practicing as he leave his house:

0fff5c377ffddccc099e8dd26b65c72862296785

Credit

@mademoiselle - The ballet double, right? :laugh:

63e19e5d69b51d32ad78f8bfc8116ce38ebf317b

Credit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

@Tofu Oh wow, tobacco can do that? Does it put the kids to sleep or makes them "high" like it does to the adult? As you can tell, I've never tried to smoke from this question (haha). I only know that the old formula of gripe water used to contain alcohol & I used to be given them and put to bed lol.

Since my grandparents are no longer around. I sometimes ask Dad how or why did my paternal side decided to migrate. How did the family got into doing the business that we did etc. He had told me it was due to war too and seems like at the time, only my grandfather was able to get out.

Oh yeah I've read about the Asian hate in US. So it does affect your area. All of you Haventies in the US really have to be careful and take care at a time like this and don't go out alone.

I had another look at that picture and maybe he wasn't sick. At first I thought the object on the table was medicines but now it looks more like an envelope with cash in it. Perhaps Haraboji gave Chae Rok some pocket money or tried to help him out financially and he looks pissed..? LOL. I'll cut him some slack since he's got personal issue, as long as Haraboji is not hurt physically.

Yeah, that's a double not Song Kang.

----

Have you guys seen The Joy Luck Club? I loved that movie. It tells the tale of 2 generations of 4 women. It was so interesting. Life was so hard on those generations.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Have you guys seen The Joy Luck Club? I loved that movie. It tells the tale of 2 generations of 4 women. It was so interesting. Life was so hard on those generations

me....I even had the book ...though I can't remember where I chucked it. 

On 3/27/2021 at 12:22 PM, Mouse said:

have to say though that watching haraboji practice in his bathroom made me so nervous that he would fall and hit his head against the sink. I know it’s a drama but still! :shocked:

It wasn't only that scene ...even this seen when CR was helping haroboji to stretch. I am not that age but already don't feel as flexible.  I was feeling 2nd hand pain here even though I have kept active over the years.

@Tofu reading all the hate crimes make angry and sad. Do be careful. 

• Like 4

One of the things I missed out on was being able to ask my grandparents about their lives or about their parents’ lives. My paternal grandfather died even before my dad got married so I never met him. All the things I know of him are just based on what others have told me. My maternal grandparents were both quiet people. They were the type that stood quietly to the side in a room full of people and only listened or laughed but hardly spoke or gave their opinion. My maternal grandfather died when I was 12 and my maternal grandmother died about 10 years ago. My paternal grandmother also passed away a few years ago. 

I am sad that I didn’t get many opportunities to ask them questions and really get to know them. There are so many things I don’t know. 

which is why when I watch dramas like this that involve stories of the elderly, I’m always hooked. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

@Tofukept nagging me to watch this drama, so I finally broke down and watched the first 2 episodes instead of doing what I should have been doing. ahem.

I'm not sure that I'm hooked yet, but I did find the first 2 episodes engaging and moving, both the harabeoji's story as well as Chae Rok. They're at completely different points in their lives, but both feel that desire to dance, to fly.

Harabeoji's determination to perform ballet just once is compelling, even though he is realistic that he is too old to actually be a danseur. However, after a lifetime of doing what he should, shouldn't he get to chase a dream of what he actually wants even once?

Like a lot of you, it reminds me of my parents and grandparents who did (and do) what they need to do, at the expense of what they might want to do. Strangely enough, given that I had also just watched episode 12 of Sisyphus which contained scenes showing the male protagonist's older brother's sacrifices for his younger brother, the whole idea of obligation and sacrifice was already weighing on my mind when I watched the first 2 episodes of this drama.

As for Chae Rok, his journey to be a danseur has just barely started. As talented as he is and with a gifted mentor/teacher in his corner, there are so many obstacles to his way, especially his own sense of self. Despite his love for ballet, making money from his part-time jobs is also an imperative, so he sacrifices his practice time and his rest time to make a bit more money. However, that is probably causing damage that may keep him from achieving his dream of becoming a premier danseur. So, I'm happy that harabeoji is his manager now as well, to teach him to take care of himself and to keep him from imploding.

The harabeoji will be meaningful to CR in a way that he probably isn't to his own children and grandchildren right now, but CR probably needs harabeoji on his side. Plus, there is that hint of romance between CR and the granddaughter.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3
  • Party! 1
On 3/27/2021 at 11:18 PM, mademoiselle said:

Does it put the kids to sleep or makes them "high" like it does to the adult?

I think that was the purpose. I'm not exactly sure and never asked because it didn't affect me. :eeeee:

@Mouse @mademoiselle @stroppyse @abs-oluteM - I just want to say, I loved reading the bits you shared about your grandparents. :heart:

I feel like I should have expected Halmoni to disapprove of the ballet. I just didn't think it would be THAT bad though. When Halmoni cut up Haraboji's ballet clothes...:cry:

I loved Haraboji's life lesson in today's episode -- You only live once. Do what you want, don't hesitate and give it your all.

Please let Haraboji do ballet, yeah?

fb788b7560f9e94f89cd00d5190ee50a1316863a

86c2ea375f7ecc20b3ae06517e9b0f2fdf8935e6

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

@Tofu am just watching the 1st 10 minutes of eps 3 during my lunch - I was clapping hard when haroboji beat Kim Kwon's character in billards. I was so worried initially but haroboji is the best. How not to love him! 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

2 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@Tofu am just watching the 1st 10 minutes of eps 3 during my lunch - I was clapping hard when haroboji beat Kim Kwon's character in billards. I was so worried initially but haroboji is the best. How not to love him! 

I know!! When he said that Chae Rok is someone who is going to soar like an eagle, I felt so proud. Chae Rok just needed someone like Haraboji in his life.

617aeb25fec36e101ced36403ff0e6e748b20147

327be4a06c0a2c5aaa201a3b75ffcc6e5650465e

Credit

And then this one too! :pandasadspoon:

72cc4255c21f2856c79691c56301e974848eccb9

Credit

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Oh boy, "I want to soar at least once in my lifetime" sounds so sad!!

---

Quote from Episode 3 I resonated with:

I've realised something after all these years. You only live once, not twice. What really scares me is that someday I might not be able to do what I want or don't even remember what I want to do anymore. That's why this moment is precious to me. I'm not going to hesitate. I'm going to give it my all.

---

Episode 4 Stills

202103301256180310_1.jpg

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Episode 3

@abs-oluteM Him beating Kim Kwon in billard - Haraboji is full of surprises. I look forward to know what else he's good at.

I was so worried Haraboji would get hurt when Kim Kwon is antagonising Chae Rok. Thank god nothing happened. I would be so mad. Kim Kwon mentioned Chae Rok's dad hit him and we were shown he's using a baseball bat to hit Kim Kwon. However, I feel that's not all of it yet especially it seems like Kim Kwon must have been injured that he can no longer play soccer which is why he's miserable and Chae Rok is apologetic hence letting him get away with the bully.

I resonated once again with Haraboji's family when it showed us the son in-law is relying on the daughter or her family for cash flow. Being at their age, the parents shouldn't need to worry for their children but it isn't the case for the daughter, which is why I feel a little sad.

And then obviously I just want to hug Haraboji so much when Halmoni banned him from dancing. :nervous: God knows what happen next episode that he tells Halmoni he'll stop dancing! Please tell me it isn't because Halmoni threaten him with her life! I get that she may find men wearing tights embarrassing however I obviously am rooting for Haraboji. Funnily, I still remember the same Halmoni actress, Na Moon Hee, left the house & husband in Dear My Friends because she's been wanting to travel elsewhere but the husband never took her and she wants to do whatever she wants instead of "serving" the husband.

Oh Chae Rok... such a prickly cute sick porcupine. I get that he doesn't know how to express himself and I think he just feels bad troubling the old man so he chases Haraboji out of his house. I do wish he did it nicely in that scene. I want to hug Chae Rok too when he looks sadly at the food in the fridge. Nonetheless, I think the two are getting along just fine and loved that Haraboji was able to encourage Chae Rok in ballet and he is supporting Haraboji in confronting his family. At least we know the youngest son and daughter in-law will be supportive. The grand-daughter may not but it is likely she'll ask Chae Rok about ballet and learn to appreciate it.

I'm a little confused about the ballet bit. Technically Chae Rok picks up ballet really late. If he can't even get into the ballet organisation in SK, how is it that there's a chance for him in Paris? They somehow left out the bit on whether Chae Rok has the technique and good basics because these are very important in ballet although not everything (and we know Chae Rok has the passion). This part is quite similar to the story for Center Stage and a very old manga I've read about ballet.

Sick porcupine looks so handsome

ExtZHVzUYAA7NLo?format=jpg&name=medium

ExtZHhvVgAICrc8?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Tofu @mademoiselle @Mouse There were so many touching scenes in eps 3. Haroboji making porridge and cleaning his house, and putting all that food in the fridge. Initially , I was a little upset that CR wasn't very grateful but as the episode progress , it was clear that the old man has touched & moved him. I love what he told his dance teacher at the end about how it was important for him to see the old man's interest in ballet. That was a really nice role reversal. Haroboji was the one encouraging him all this while, and now it was so nice to see CR telling him to take the bulls by the horn.

I was also very sad for CR when he met his father. I believe the father just feels guilty about having gone to jail and not being there for CR. So I suppose that is the reason he is staying away. It looks like dad was the football coach for Kim Kwon's character. Was dad's discipline on him to harsh that he ended up in jail? 

And oh - I was so mad :pandarage2: with haroboji's wife. How could she cut his ballet clothes. It is not cheap plus the man has been a good husband and father all his life. The least she could do is let him pursue his dream. At her age , the last thing she should be worried about is being embarrassed.  And that eldest son, I cannot stand him . Such a chauvinist especially in the way he spoke to his wife. I think all the rest of the family will be okay/ supportive of him except the wife and oldest son.

Yay @stroppyse glad you're watching this with us. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1