Navillera 나빌레라 [2021]

I am ready with my buckets... but Netflix has not dropped ep.11 yet. I need to watch new episodes asap, will stay up, because otherwise, it will be Wednesday evening before I can watch. Hopefully eyes won't be too puffy the next day, haha....

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Prepare tissue for eps 11. The kids all finally find out about Haroboji's Alzheimer's. It was of course sad and all -  it is always hard to accept that your parents will get old and may get sick. Seong San , I believe took it the hardest . While I was not his fan in the early episodes given his bossy attitude and self-righteous behaviour, I think I empathise with him in eps 11. As the oldest son he probably felt the need to pull their family out of that poverty cycle they were in. There were plenty of hard times growing up which probably made him very driven , and perhaps a little less empathetic to the weakness or the lack that others may have. But his father's condition, coupled with the big problem at work ( he decided to resign), was a good wake-up call for him.  At the end of the day , he is a filial son who loves his parents very much. 

There was much progress for all the characters. CR's teacher and ex wife had a good chat, and teacher understood that he had been very self-centered all this while and was so focused on his needs that he forgot hers. He apologised to her. CR made a trip to see his father , father & son reconciled. HB has started training so that he can prepare for tryouts.

And finally haroboji got accepted for the dance gala. While initially , he was suppose to do a solo piece, CR's teacher felt it may be better for CR to duet with Haroboji. And given that we saw haroboji forgot his steps ( seems like the Alzheimer's onset is faster than expected) , this may turn out to be a blessing that he will not be alone on stage. 

• Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM you pretty much said everything that's on my mind about ep.11.

Let me just add a bit in that I love the conversation between KSJ and his ex-wife, the part where he shared with her the lesson he learned watching CR and Haraboji is that two people can have each other's back, and he acknowledged he was unable to do that and hurt her in the process. I want to see them get back together, hahaa...

Anyway, I am glad to finally see Kim Tae Hun in a role that is "watchable", if you know what I mean. Hopefully he will pick up more roles like this.

I keep forgetting to ask... did anyone notice that Seung San's apartment is the same as Ik Jun's apartment? :smug:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I want to see them get back together, hahaa...

Anyway, I am glad to finally see Kim Tae Hun in a role that is "watchable", if you know what I mean. Hopefully he will pick up more roles like this.

Me too . I also root for their reconciliation - they still feel so married to me.  And yes finally KTH in a role where I can enjoy . His last few characters gave me trauma :pandascared:. I think the worst was Secret Boutique followed by My Unfamiliar Family 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

What a lovely-lovely drama!! :hearties: even though I watched most of the last episode with tears flowing, yet I was smiling all the way...LOL... I had to go wash my face first before coming back to the laptop to write this post. Seriously, prepare your box of tissues.

Before I start,... :wow: Song Kang so handsome in his ballet costume :wow: ... okay, swooning over...

SPOILERS AHEAD

Spoiler

I am so glad CR insisted that Haraboji get on the stage, having the faith and determination to realise Haraboji's dream. Love that he told his teacher the same thing, that he doesn't want to see Haraboji sitting in the audience, but to be on stage. During their piece, I think I was most like Seung Suk watching her father on the stage. All those happy tears with awe. The montage of Haraboji's journey from beginning until on the stage was lovely, although it got me nervous whether or not he would be able to remember the steps. 

I'd say I was rather successful in holding in my tears at the beginning of the episode, but I lost it when Seung Suk told Haraboji that it's probably a blessing she didn't have a child, because she wants to be the one to take care of Haraboji just like he took care of her when she was little. And then after that, I was tearing all the way. I can totally understand Haraboji's wish to go to the nursing home before his condition worsened. That's aging gracefully. But I can also understand his family's wish to keep him at home. They're after all a loving and caring family, despite the trivial quarrels, which make them even more real. 

This drama is just lovely because we see that through the determination of one wise old man, he inspired, touched and changed the lives of people around him. I can't state one by one now, but most notable was Seung Gwan's renewed desire to return and work in the medical field. Then there was Ho Beom. And the reconciliation of our Teacher Couple (yay!), but I laughed a little here ~ who in the world propose by slipping the ring box like that? :laugh: No wonder he didn't get an immediate "yes"...There are so many little things in this finale episode that show the writing is very well thought of even for supporting characters ~ eg. when Eun Ho suggested to drive Haraboji's Bungbung to the gala, and Seung San letting his daughter take the wheel... what a growth this family experienced. 

The good-byes at the airport was so tear-inducing. I didn't know why because I was assuming CR only went for a competition, but turned out that he was gone for three years, so yeah, there's a time jump, and it's a relief to see Hae Nam is managing and adjusted to Haraboji's condition well. I knew that Haraboji is subconsciously thinking of CR when he asked about the snow. And the ending scene when it finally snowed, it was just so lovely (again) because the first sentence that came out of his mouth, it was as if he never forget CR at all during these 3 years. Man, I'm tearing again thinking of this unusual pair of soul-mates...

The wink and finger-heart from Haraboji to himself (and us) at the end was just so sweet.

Random thought: why is Ho Beom's hair still blonde after 3 years?! Why can't they give us a black-haired Kim Kwon for just a few scenes?

The drama ended with a message: "It's not too late now. Like 70 yo. Deok-chul, you can do it too!"

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

This evening my 10 year old (going on a 100) asked me a very cute question - you know how 10 year- olds are. He asked if I would rather be dumb but happy, or really smart but sad. I chose the former without thinking , and so did he.( But I did tell him he still needed to pass his exams . Lest this was his way of worming out of studying. LOL!)  . Perhaps this is the message the story intends to deliver - do what you love and do what makes you most the happy - something Seung San finally told his daughter , Eun Ho . Haroboji's memories may have started to come and go, but his body remembers. And even 3 years down the road , with CR now being a top ballerino and Haroboji's condition advancing a lot more, the latter never forgot those moments where he soared. The moments that brought him a lot of joy. 

I agree @Nohamahmoud2002 This was such a beautiful touching story from start to finish. I loved how the show ended and wrapped up everyone's arc. And oh yes @ktcjdrama,  teacher & wife reconciled and remarried. Even HB started playing football again...kkk thanks for the gif @mademoiselle.  And I am glad that Haroboji's daughter managed to convince him not to go to a nursing home. This is the beauty of having a daughter - we have a way of emotionally reaching out to our parents the way our brothers may not be able to.

There was no doubt in my mind that Haroboji (Park In Hwan) is the star of the show. He was everyone's cheerleader and greatest supporter, and I was so glad that towards the end everyone had a chance to cheer him on. Perhaps the ending was rather fairy tale since we know IRL, that not everyone gets his happy ending. Dealing with an Alzheimer patient does wear out the caregiver(s) too. But nevertheless this show is a wonderful reminder of how we should really be living our lives - so that when the time comes when our mind may no longer remember or when our body gives up on us, we will leave a legacy of having touched the lives of people we come across the way Haroboji did.  

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

I thought whoever made this, also captured the ending scene of Haraboji and Chae Rok really well too. 

I was doing pretty well with not tearing up until the airport scene. That scene of Chae Rok turning back to look at Haraboji, who was watching him leave, broke my heart. I saw my grandma today after not seeing her for a while (because of COVID). It just reminded me of how she waited at the door, so she could watch me get into my car and drive off before she closed the door. 

I love the bond built between Haraboji and Chae Rok so much. They both appeared in each other's lives when they needed it the most. In some ways, I think this bond healed them. 

When I first read about this drama, I was interested because it was about someone older pursuing their dreams and there was Song Kang. I didn't have much expectations and leading up to the airing, I accepted that it was just going to be @mademoiselle, @abs-oluteM, and I watching this. I'm so glad that many others decided to watch too!! I had fun watching and reading everyone's comments! :heart:

@ktcjdrama - I felt the same way too. I don't know why they couldn't dye his hair back to black. Can't believe he kept the bleached hair for three years! :niu:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

Episode 12 - Finale

Another wonderful, touching show is over. Navillera is a drama I (we) literally cried from episode 1 to the end, LOL, but in a good way because I was genuinely touched by the words, actions and the hearts of the characters. It's the type of slice of life drama leaving me smilng in the end with hope and positivity.

Not sure about you all, but I feel thankful right at this moment. I'm thankful because I was following Song Kang that I got to watch this drama and get to know a veteran actor named Park In Hwan—the heart, soul and the centric character of Navillera. I ♥ in the end that even though Haraboji has forgotten many things and not even recognise his own family, deep down embedded in his mind/heart/soul, he remembers Chae Rok. :cry: And I love that they finally hugged (they should hug longer)!

Watching the airport scene reminds me of my own experience... how the first time I left the country, I was eager for freedom and independence. And now... each time I leave or watch them leave, I had to hold back my tears and then let the dam break when they are out of sight. It gets harder as you see their hairs get greyer and greyer and the lines and wrinkles deepen by the years on their faces (and mine)...

My favourite bit of this show is the bond and friendship formed between Chae Rok and Haraboji. Like @Tofu has said, they appeared in each other's life just when they both needed each other. I also love it ended with a bts clip of Haraboji and Chae Rok practising, with Chae Rok telling him off and he cheekily retorted. It was so adorable to see them bicker. Going back to the beginning, we were all 💢 at Chae Rok for being mean but now, I've grown fond of Chae Rok's straight-forwardness and bickers with Haraboji because I now understand he has Haraboji's interest best at heart. And love how they communicate is what makes them cute.

Agree with @abs-oluteM that the ending is less realistic since being a caregiver is not easy. I've personally seen my uncles taking care of my grandma and they couldn't carry/lift her up properly and were rather rough. A trained caregiver would be able to provide the professional assistance we require and done in a safer and OH&S way.

@abs-oluteM @ktcjdrama You both have covered most of how I feel about Navillera (and more).

@Tofu I've been crying here & there. LOLLL. Luckily it is just 12 episodes because we all might end up being a dried up mummy soon. P.S. Technically I cried more for Hi Bye Mama!

Lastly, thank you all for watching this wonderful and lovely heartwarming slice of life drama with me~ ♥♥♥

9NmYsXI.jpg

Closing this post with a beautiful picture of uri Chae Rok... @ktcjdrama He looks very handsome here. I like it more when he shows his forehead ^ ^

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Going back to the beginning, we were all 💢 at Chae Rok for being mean but now, I've grown fond of Chae Rok's straight-forwardness and bickers with Haraboji because I now understand he has Haraboji's interest best at heart. And love how they communicate is what makes them cute.

I love that no matter how curt and moody CR was, it never once affected Haraboji and he would just gently and good-naturedly respond to this young man. A model to remember as we age. 

😅 looking at the tweets above made me a bit teary again...

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

MTDzeiV.gif

1 minute ago, ktcjdrama said:

My puffy eyes barely returned to normal... I should probably stay away from this thread 😂

Hahahaha I've to say this one isn't as bad as Dear My Friends or Hi Bye Mama.

Hi Bye Mama I think made me cried until I have headache. Dear My Friends only made me cried in the latter episodes and because I binged so it felt like I kept crying.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahahaha I've to say this one isn't as bad as Dear My Friends or Hi Bye Mama.

Hi Bye Mama I think made me cried until I have headache. Dear My Friends only made me cried in the latter episodes and because I binged so it felt like I kept crying.

Hi Bye Mama was okay for me. I haven’t finished Dear My Friends, somehow got interrupted and haven’t picked it up since. 
My problem is always with my eyes becoming puffed up after crying 😅 as long as I don’t have to meet people, it’s fine. 

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif