Hong Cheon Gi / Red Sky 홍천기 [2021]

I also wasn't motivated at all to watch the last 2 episodes... but curiosity got the better of me, so I ended up speed-watching them. I won't say much because I remember the saying that if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything....... but I still want to say one thing, haha... All the time CG was trying to finish the drawing when she went blind, I was thinking those tears streaming down her cheeks and chin are gonna ruin the painting... but magically (duh! of course...) the painting is waterproof, people!! :CharmanderYay:

Anyway, whatever happened to that lady who slit her hand for Prince Juhyang? And the epilogue, do we need to see those three burly musketeers still trying to seek revenge on CG? And Prince Juhyang wearing the King's robe, does that mean he killed his father? 

Ooops, I ended up saying more than one thing... :pandaheadstomp:  Over and out! 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Haha 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@Chocolate@ktcjdrama@mademoiselle Anyone still here? I just finished the drama and was reading briefly the last few pages of the discussions here. I see where everyone's frustrations/annoyance with the writing went, though admittedly, if you're willing to not think too much, it was indeed an enjoyable show. The number of ghosts, ghouls and random objects that popped up along the way with very "by the way" explanations through conversations certainly left a lot to the viewer's imagination. :laugh: I'm still not certain what the ring is or was supposed to be, or why Ha Ram's mother had it and how his dad came to give it to him. And I'm not certain why Cheon Gi's dad became mad (but then lucid just before he died) especially since Hwacha apparently did not make death deals. Why were the 2 of them destined for each other than by Samsin's profession that they should be. Or why did Ma Wang get locked up in Ha Ram to begin with - he suddenly became explained as having some sort of divine family lineage? Hurh? And his grandfather who was in the prison cell - like, wae? And the mish mash of an epilogue which looked more like edited scenes that the team didn't know where to fit in the main storyline but found it necessary to put in so those bit could get tied up... Hahaha... seemed like an editing mess. But well, I liked the Cheon Gi-Ha Ram pairing. They should do a proper drama next. With each other again. Hahaha...

• Haha 4
3 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM Your adoption of him was SUPER quick! I think he's already in even before the drama begins xD

Yes...I think I was watching all these videos of him and was charmed. Then here he performed well especially when he gave exceptional fan service :GrimChamp:

• Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Haha, I think author is also baffled. "Let's just go with it" lol.

dummy.png?s=900x600&e=t

5 Moments From Episodes 15-16 Of “Lovers Of The Red Sky” That Managed To Wrap Things Up

Oct 31, 2021 by shalini

Lovers of the Red Sky” has been a strange ride, captivating at times, and just plain bewildering at others. The final pair of episodes crams a bit of both. We return to some of what made the beginning of this show so dreamy and enchanting while continuing onwards with plot holes aplenty. Alas, Ma Wang and Prince Juhyang’s (Kwak Si Yang) romance comes to an end as it’s time for the demon to be sealed in a second Sealing Ceremony. The gods, the royals, the people, and our main characters have been waiting for this moment for 16 episodes.

Here’s what we found interesting about how it was executed!

Warning: spoilers for episodes 15-16 below.

1. The revenge that never was

Spoiler

Ha Ram (Ahn Hyo Seop) has spent his entire life believing that King Seongjo (Jo Seong Ha) was responsible for the exile and murder of his father. Thus, it comes as a great shock when the kindly king appears, temporarily recovered from his illness, to unveil the unvarnished truth. It was Ma Wang who actually killed his father. There was a minuscule hint of sorts that this could be the case when, last week, Ha Ram saw some of the demon’s memories, but he didn’t think about them too hard, and who would? Ma Wang hasn’t proven himself the most reliable person around.

Turns out that the king knew of Ha Ram’s double life as Ilwolseong, as well as his plans for revenge, but did nothing, because he believed that his family was the root of all this misfortune. It was technically Juhyang, but this is a classic case of the father bearing the sins of both his wayward son and of his cruel father. Poor King Seongjo.

ahn-hyo-seop3.png

Ha Ram is understandably devastated by the reveal and gives up on revenge, especially when the king and Prince Yangmyung (Gong Myung) arrive just in time to prevent Juhyang from imprisoning Chun Gi (Kim Yoo Jung) and beheading her painter friends. The only person quite displeased with this turn of events is Mae Hyang (Ha Yul Ri), who realizes that Ha Ram truly has turned his back on their plans. This infuriates her for reasons we will likely never know.

ha-yul-ri1.png

Juhyang is clapped in prison immediately, despite wailing to his dad that only Ma Wang can cure his disease. Mae Hyang visits him to vow her loyalty to his cause, going as far as to slice her hand to prove it. Juhyang thinks to himself that this is a woman with a story, but, alas, we were never given that story. What a shame and a waste of a possibly great character. This entire arc seems to be about redeeming the royal family via the sad figure of the king, but it appears there was more wrong done to people like Mae Hyang, and we will never know what that was.

2. Hwacha deserves an apology

Spoiler

Park-Jung-Hak-Kim-Yoo-Jung1-e16354533421

The dangers of jumping to conclusions are made clearer than ever when Hwacha (Park Jung Hak) appears before Chun Gi to inform her that she’s going to have to make a deal with him if she wishes to make a divine painting. That’s the reason her previous painting tore at the Sealing Ceremony. It was a divine painting but didn’t have the power to contain Ma Wang that only Hwacha can provide.

Chun Gi knows she doesn’t really have a choice but questions him, pointing out that all who make a deal with him go insane. However, Hwacha informs her that this actually isn’t true. All he requires in return is a painting. So in other words, poor Hwacha has been maligned this whole time! The poor guy just likes to absorb energy from paintings, because if he does so enough, he’ll finally be able to become a powerful spirit on the level of Samshin (Moon Sook) and Ho Ryeong (Jo Ye Rin). Everyone just jumped to conclusions. Hwacha deserves an apology.

3. The Sealing Ceremony round 2

Spoiler

ahn-hyo-seop1.png

The divine painting must be started and completed on the same day as when the sealing is to take place. Chun Gi, not being superhuman, will undoubtedly need help, which is where Shim Dae Yu (Jang Won Hyung)(formerly a possessed spy for Juhyang, the runner up at the Makjuheon Painting Contest) comes in. Turns out that his father is Kan Yoo Guk (Park Jung Hak), who assisted Chun Gi’s father with the preparation and completion of the initial divine painting all those years ago. Shim Dae Yu and Chun Gi’s friend Choi Jung (Hong Kyung) work as a trio to finish the painting.

Mi So (Chae Gook Hee), Juhyang’s former shaman, suddenly feels remorse and decides to turn over a new leaf. This is most convenient as Prince Yangmyung’s shaman has lost her power. Ma Wang arrives right on time to his own Sealing Ceremony because he wants his eyes back, and Mi So immediately tries to contain him to the best of her power. He easily bests her and advances to the painting room and takes his eyes back.

ahn-hyo-seop-kim-yoo-jung3.pngahn-hyo-seop-kim-yoo-jung2.pngkim-yoo-jung3.png

Chun Gi is left blind and with only the eyes left to finish in the painting (oh the irony!). Yangmyung is aghast. Hwacha appears, scaring the life out of Choi Jung, but even he doesn’t know how to solve this. Still, help is on the way.

4. Daddy and Grandaddy ghosts

Spoiler

choi-jong-won.png

Ghosts weren’t introduced as part of the lore of this drama, but apparently they exist. Because the whitehaired man in the cell opposite Ha Ram when he was imprisoned (Choi Jong Won), is actually his…grandfather? Let’s just go with it. His grandfather helps him properly submit to the Sealing Ceremony, and all of this apparently has to do with the fact that Ha Ram’s family is born with the divine energy of water (which in the early episodes was proof that their family could find water, not become water spirits, but who knows?). If only Ha Ram’s father had seen fit to make a similar appearance in ghost form, Ha Ram wouldn’t have wasted the past 19 years planning revenge.

vlcsnap-2021-10-28-17h21m06s656.png

Returning to the Sealing Ceremony, Chun Gi meets a ghost of her own: her father, who finishes the painting through her. Chun Gi puts the finishing touches on the eyes herself and bids farewell to her father. And it’s done. Samshin sacrifices herself to seal Ma Wang, and a blind Chun Gi embraces Ha Ram who can now see. Everyone is happy save Mi So (who’s dead) and Juhyang, who just lost the person, or demon rather, whom he yearned after for 19 years.

5. An ending and a half

Spoiler

kim-yoo-jung-ahn-hyo-seop22.jpg

With the demon’s curse lifted, Chun Gi gets her vision back in 10 seconds flat and is spirited away by Ha Ram to the middle of nowhere, where they raise a family. It’s super cute, but it is a little strange. What happened to her dreams as a painter? It appears that she just lives isolated from her friends and everyone else now, which is most bewildering. Ha Ram seems to be similarly unemployed, but they look happy.

Hwacha joins Ha Ram’s grandfather in cosplaying as Gandalf and looks pretty happy about it. Prince Yangmyung nears the end of his bildungsroman, having gone from well-meaning but pompous boy to a sober-eyed man. He visits Chun Gi and Ha Ram on their birthdays (which fall on the same day) to present them with an elevation of their status to high-ranking noble. Everyone from the Baekyu Painter’s Society arrives for a birthday party, but Yangmyung ends up having to leave early. Trouble is afoot, and its name is Juhyang.

Juhyang’s been in prison for five years now, but for a man at death’s door, he looks pretty good. He breaks out of prison and assumedly kills his father because he’s wearing the king’s robe. Yangmyung meets him in the middle of a palace courtyard, and they give grand speeches on being enemies and the throne. And there’s a battle. And the drama ends.

kwak-si-yang-gong-myung.png

This has all been quite strange, but there were a few things that “Lovers of the Red Sky” did well. The cinematography was always lovely, color schemes and all. The leads did their best with what was given, which honestly doesn’t appear to have been much because the name of this drama truly should be Ma Wang, not Hong Chun Gi (as it is in Korean). This drama was quite progressive in having a blind male lead as a romantic interest and hopefully opens the doors to more such depictions. Mental illness is a common feature in dramas, but physical disability isn’t as common. It was great to have more representation on-screen. And the ending (minus the battle) was actually very, very cute and brought everything full circle. So three cheers for our young lovers and their happy ending! Now if only Yangmyung could have one!

kim-yoo-jeong-ahn-hyo-seop.png

Source

• Haha 3
On 11/1/2021 at 5:54 PM, mademoiselle said:

LOLLLL Haram and Cheon Ki's son look more like Yangmyung

Sshhhh. Don't let @abs-oluteM hear you say that. But here's a kissing photo to pacify her lol. Some parting words from the cast.

Watch: Kim Yoo Jung And Ahn Hyo Seop Film Their Final Kiss Scene + Say Goodbye To “Lovers Of The Red Sky”

Watch: Kim Yoo Jung And Ahn Hyo Seop Film Their Final Kiss Scene + Say Goodbye To “Lovers Of The Red Sky”

Nov 4, 2021 by S. Cho

The latest making-of video for SBS’s “Lovers of the Red Sky” features the actors filming the drama’s happy ending!

The clip starts with Kim Yoo Jung and Ahn Hyo Seop filming their loving moments as newlyweds until they are joined by their adorable son. Later, the two stars film a scene together with a horse. Even while resting, Kim Yoo Jung remains on the horse as she adorably jokes, “They say it’s [the horse] Soma’s last [filming] today. Please prepare a bouquet of flowers [for Soma].”

They go on to shoot the scene in the peach blossom field, where Ahn Hyo Seop gifts Kim Yoo Jung a peach to keep his promise from 24 years ago. After filming the dialogue, they prepare for their kiss scene by discussing all the details with the director. As the flower petals start falling, they film their emotional kiss, before it’s interrupted by a villager.

The two monitor the scene with big smiles, and Ahn Hyo Seop comments in surprise, “You really ran while holding the peach!”

The end of the video features the main cast’s concluding remarks. As the drama was pre-produced, Kwak Si Yang shares, “Since we endured filming together in the cold and hot weather, I believe it would be great for everyone to look forward to it.”

Gong Myung continues, “I had my last shoot today in this sweltering heat with our staff members and my fellow actors, and while I’m relieved, it also feels bittersweet and sad. I am so thankful to our staff and my fellow actors, who all filmed together since last winter when it was cold through the hot weather [of nows]. I’m so happy that I was able to show another side of actor Gong Myung through ‘Lovers of the Red Sky.'”

Kim Yoo Jung comments, “It’s been a long journey. Although there were hard and exhausting moments for the staff members, actors, and everyone who worked with us, I think we were able to wrap up successfully because everyone mustered up their passion. More than anything, I hope the final product is good, and I’d be thankful if viewers gave us lots of love.”

Ahn Hyo Seop shares, “I don’t know how to describe how I feel right now. I feel proud, regretful, and happy, but I’m also sad thinking that we are now parting ways. They’re complicated, unclear emotions. This is a project that all the staff members and actors worked hard to film, through difficult situations, from the cold winter to the hot weather.”

Video already posted by mademoiselle earlier:

Spoiler

• Haha 3

It's okay @Chocolate I have moved on from this show since the last few episodes didn't quite live up to my expectations. I am doing my AHS binge, and right now my heart is stuck in Seo Woo Jin land - which was his character in Doc Romantic TK2. Think that is his best role yet & I am hoping for a S3 of that one. 

• Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

31 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I am hoping for a S3 of that one.

Do In Beom literally told Woo Jin he's only temporarily away so I'm holding his words to it that he'll return for S3 as permanent cast! :pandacop: Coz I rewatched YSJ & AHS's cut scenes, I noticed Woo Jin is the combo of In Beom and Kang Dong Joo coz he's not only good with knife and he can do laparoscopy which is In Beom's specialty in S1.

@Chocolate Did you fall in love with Ahjussi Kim Sabu this time? xD

• Haha 3
22 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Do In Beom literally told Woo Jin he's only temporarily away so I'm holding his words to it that he'll return for S3 as permanent cast! :pandacop: Coz I rewatched YSJ & AHS's cut scenes, I noticed Woo Jin is the combo of In Beom and Kang Dong Joo coz he's not only good with knife and he can do laparoscopy which is In Beom's specialty in S1.

@Chocolate Did you fall in love with Ahjussi Kim Sabu this time? xD

Is it confirmed that cast for S3 is the same as S2? Maybe there won't be AHS for S3?

@mademoiselle Do you think I automatically fall in love with all the old male actors in every show? :smug: 

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Chocolate said:

Is it confirmed that cast for S3 is the same as S2? Maybe there won't be AHS for S3?

@mademoiselle Do you think I automatically fall in love with all the old male actors in every show? :smug:

No not confirmed. The only "news" we got was Han Suk Kyu mentioned there will be S3. All RD fans can always hope, especially me... coz my Oppa said he'd return and he did cameo S2. Hehehehe.

Yes, I think you easily fall in love with ahjussi actors. Plus what have you got against Han Suk Kyu ahjussi? He has sexy deep voice. :lmao2:

• Haha 3
32 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Do In Beom literally told Woo Jin he's only temporarily away so I'm holding his words to it that he'll return for S3 as permanent cast!

I hope so. I think it will be nice to have this kind of dynamic.

@Chocolate The romance on S2 was not my cup of tea & just didn't feel that it was organic. Fortunately , it was also not front & center, so the drama is still really good. You can watch the parts you don't like at 1.5speed. The politics is quite important though.

• Insightful 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HaHong for best couple!

Actors Ahn Hyo-seop and Kim Yoo-jung received the Best Couple Award.

Ahn Hyo-seop and Kim Se-jeong of 'Meet the Guy', are working together  and she was the  presenter the award .  He joked, "It's embarrassing to receive the Best Couple award from Sejeong, who is filming a romantic comedy together with me ."

Ahn Hyo-seop said, "Before filming, the writer and director said, 'Kim Yoo-jung is like a treasure', but since we were filming together, I knew what he was talking about. Although she is a younger  than me, she is a senior whom I have a lot to learn from. She kindly approached me first, so I was able to finish it well. I want to say thank you to my senior, colleague, and friend Kim Yoo-jung.

Kim Yoo-jeong responded to Ahn Hyo-seop with a thank you . She also expressed her gratitude to the staff and viewers, saying, “I think this award is given by the viewers. We will each walk different paths, but we will come to the viewers with a good image.”

Kim Se-jeong, who watched their speech, said with a smile, "This year, it is them , but I think it will be us next year." :laugh: Ahn Hyo-seop said, "I think both of them are very professional. Thank you to all SBS officials who directed this embarrassing situation. Thanks to that, I had a lot of fun winning the award.”

MC Shin Dong-yeop asked, "SBS told me to ask a boring question, who would you save if you fell into the water?" and Ahn Hyo-seop answered, "I will cheer for the two of them from afar with  full of energy." Responding, Kim Yoo-jung said, "The two of us (with SeJong ) will come out holding hands," bringing laughter to the crowd.

• Party! 1