Hong Cheon Gi / Red Sky 홍천기 [2021]

11 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Actually what's the actual story in the novel? I think someone mentioned that in the novel, there was no revenge plot.

Not sure. I purposely didn't go peek so that I wouldn't be disappointed should the novel is better written than the drama**. Who knows the drama's story-telling itself is already disappointing.

**Last time I did that it was for Moonlight Drawn by Clouds and I liked the execution of the ending in the novel way better than the drama's adaptation. So naturally when I got to the ending of the show, I was like "Meh" while others were praising it to the moon and back. :jiminbtssigh:

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

By the way, read this from Wikiepedia (Chi version) that the drama originally based the characters on real Royal family. But because of Joseon Exorcist, it was changed. So the late king was Yi Bang Won (3rd king) and the current King was depicting Sejong The Great (4th king). Prince Joohyang (Yi Yu) supposedly really did become a King (King Sejo, the 7th).

Yangmyeong was 3rd son of King Sejong, Anpyeong dae gun (Yi Yong) and never became King.

• Insightful 4

I caught the 2nd half of the live stream. I don't know how they overcame the demon etc but all I do know is that they gave me a happy end. Maybe the logic can throw out the window , but I think I need to watch with subs.

As to the brothers...right until the end they were still fighting 

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Finale recaps from Naver

https://www.tvreport.co.kr/2082774

Before the sealing ceremony, Haram broke the ring and finally faced the Demon King. To the demon king who said, “It’s no use trying to seal me,” Haram asked, “Are you afraid of being imprisoned again?” At this, the Demon King laughed, saying, “Your body is almost eroded by me.”

According to Samshin and Hwacha, this sealing ceremony is the only chance to catch the Demon King. Horyeong showed his will not to stop him, but Sam-shin (Moon Sook) said, “Even if you overpower the demon king today, the fight will continue without end. In the end, sealing is the only answer. Now it all depends on the person who will mold the divine vessel.”

Then, while Haram appeared at the sealing ceremony, the shamans said, “This is not Scholar Ha . This is the Demon King,” he warned.

As the saying goes, the Demon King shouted “my eyes” and set out to find Hong Cheon-gi, but Hong Cheon-gi calmly drew the words even in the worst situation. Even though she lost his sight because of  the demon king, she successfully completed his use with the help of Eun-oh Hong (played by Choi Kwang-il). In addition to the sacrifice of the three gods, Hong Chun-ki and Lee Yul (Gong Myung) succeeded in sealing the demon king.

cb151fde-0512-400a-8d05-907a4ac55204.jpg

After leaving the Demon King and waking up to his his perfect self, Haram went straight to find Hongcheongi. While hugging Hong Chun-ki, who had lost her sight, Haram asked, “Where are the eyes?” Hong Cheon-ki said, “Can you see me? hello do you see I'm really happy," she said, crying tears of relief. “Now, I can’t see the future like I did when we first met, so what should I do?” Haram promised, “I will take responsibility for you for the rest of my life.”

Five years later, Hong Cheon-gi and Haram started a family as lifelong lovers. After being liberated by the Demon King, Hongcheongi regained her sight, and they also had a son, Hajun. Looking at the three family members, Lee Yul said, “You have grown a lot. Seeing these two happy people makes me happy.”

Lee Yul-eun, who was named Crown Prince, is taking care of the affairs of Seong-jo (Jo Seong-ha). After hearing the news that Dae-gun Joo Hyang (Kwak Si-yang), who was aiming for the throne, was still trapped in Uigeumbu, Haram wrote, “It will be difficult to get out there.”

707f16fd-a122-43c6-a83a-f4c063854298.jpg

On this day, Lee Yul gave the couple an inkstone of flowers and a textbook. The Jeungjik letter was a letter to the ancestors of those who had accumulated merit, and both Haram and Hongcheongi were delighted at this.

Then, Haram took Hong Chun-ki to the field of  flowers and handed her a peach. 'Hongcheongi' ended with the couple's romantic kiss, Lee Yul, and the subsequent confrontation.

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Just finished ep 16…. Is this the last episode!? I am perplexed with the ending of the princes going to war with each other.  I thought the blood would discontinue when Ma Wang was sealed.  so it’s back to blood and war again???  Still stretching my head. Note:  just noticed there is an episode that explains in detail the events. two episodes are labeled episode 1. played a few mins and Will finish watching.  nice to see what I may have overlooked.

Enjoyed this drama and have politely refrained from saying this.  The actor playing Ha Ram absolutely sucked playing blind.  I think he gave up even trying. The  young Cheo sealed her blindness role to an perfect T.   

• Like 4

I conclude:

• Those who love the romance will like the last episode.
  • Those who want (some) answers to all other parts of the drama apart from the romance can go jump in the lake 😆.

My expectations were already lowered but WHAT was that? 😱😭

Firstly, Mawang was sealed, in the very boring way of using the Old King's portrait (but that was my fault, for thinking there would be more suspense and conjuring up, out of thin air obviously, other alternatives like Haram's portrait or other containers lol). Of course before that, Mawang must say for the last time "my eyes" 😂 then proceeds to zap Cheon Gi. (Well, this was better than using his long nails to dig out the eyes.)

img.jpg

CG becomes blind but has the presence of mind to focus on completing the painting. But how can she do it if she can't see? Here comes Hwacha, who conjures up her father, who helps her. But CG must do the last part - she draws in the pupils - I guess this is her divinity at work because she can draw that small circle in the exact spot while blind 😅 (as I said earlier, we have to assume blind people here have superpowers because Haram made his way back to the palace through the forest all by himself lol!). That said, it was a touching scene with her father.

Spoiler

img.jpg

img.jpg

Mi Soo, was useless. Either Mawang's powers have greatly increased over the years, or she was a much lousier shaman than Haram's father. In the end, Samshin sacrificed herself to pull Mawang into the painting. And so both were sealed. And later, Hwacha absorbed all the energy from the painting and he turned into a fresh looking white haired old man!? I don't really understand Mi Soo's motivations. At the end, she was willing to help Prince Yangmyeong to seal the demon so she was doing it for the greater good. Then why did she even divert to help Prince Juhyang from the earlier episodes?

Spoiler

img.jpg

img.jpg

CG and HR then reunite. They cry and kiss.

Spoiler

img.jpg

img.jpg

As expected, Mawang's curse is lifted and she can see again! This is shown after the time jump to 5 years later where they live happily on an island with their son. Prince Yangmyeong visits them on their birthday and gifts HR a posthumous title for his father. This means his descendants can take the national exams and be government officials I guess. So all's well for our 2 leads. CG has also recovered her spunk.

img.jpg

In the meantime, Prince Juhyang is still in prison after 5 years. And planning a coup. It's taking a bit long to plan the coup right? I'm amazed that they still have supporters left. Mae Hyang, who was previously in Haram's camp, but defected to Prince JH, is nowhere to be seen. Anyway, the drama ends here! 😲

img.jpg

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

By the way, read this from Wikiepedia (Chi version) that the drama originally based the characters on real Royal family. But because of Joseon Exorcist, it was changed. So the late king was Yi Bang Won (3rd king) and the current King was depicting Sejong The Great (4th king). Prince Joohyang (Yi Yu) supposedly really did become a King (King Sejo, the 7th).

Yangmyeong was 3rd son of King Sejong, Anpyeong dae gun (Yi Yong) and never became King.

Based on your findings, maybe it was intentional not to show which Prince won. We have the shaman's words that Prince Yangmyeong would become a great ruler so I shall just assume that. I quite empathise with Prince Juhyang so not watching him die is fine.

Sigh. The last few episodes were quite disappointing. But the first half was very entertaining so no regrets watching this.

All the beautiful photos are courtesy of @silvertrhee here:

https://silvertrhee.tistory.com/311

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Sigh, I don't know if I should give my 1 hour to watch this finale. I'm truly happy they give us a happy ending, I do, but pretty OTP cannot compensate the deterioration of this story or justify how this story goes south. It really could have been executed in a far better approach. And I don't know if this is because the editor is on crack or the writer is on crack. LOL.

Did Mawang make an appearance or it was just ugly looking Haram all the way? Also if Samshin sacrifices herself, is that mean there's no more Samshin around to guard the people...? Questions. Questions. Questions. But no answers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Mizv said:

Note:  just noticed there is an episode that explains in detail the events. two episodes are labeled episode 1. played a few mins and Will finish watching.  nice to see what I may have overlooked.

Do you mean there are extra episodes? It's not showing on Viu or Dramacool though. Do you mind sharing the link? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Sigh, I don't know if I should give my 1 hour to watch this finale. I'm truly happy they give us a happy ending, I do, but pretty OTP cannot compensate the deterioration of this story or justify how this story goes south. It really could have been executed in a far better approach. And I don't know if this is because the editor is on crack or the writer is on crack. LOL.

Did Mawang make an appearance or it was just ugly looking Haram all the way? Also if Samshin sacrifices herself, is that mean there's no more Samshin around to guard the people...? Questions. Questions. Questions. But no answers.

You've already spent 15 hours. Just finish it 😂 (Mawang came out for awhile when Samshin pulled him out of Haram towards the painting.)

• Haha 3
Just now, Chocolate said:

You've already spent 15 hours. Just finish it 😂 (Mawang came out for awhile when Samshin pulled him out of Haram towards the painting.)

Hahaha, I'll see how I go after I watch Affection E6. Are you still watching this or meh, not your cuppa?

I actually quite like the premise of this story. It has good potential. Maybe you should just read the novel LOL

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha, I'll see how I go after I watch Affection E6. Are you still watching this or meh, not your cuppa?

I've just completed episode 4. It's a bit meh for me because it seems quite focused on the interactions between the 2 leads. Not enough on the plotting in the palace. Will continue for this week then see how 😅

• Haha 3
8 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I've just completed episode 4. It's a bit meh for me because it seems quite focused on the interactions between the 2 leads. Not enough on the plotting in the palace. Will continue for this week then see how 😅

It has 20 episodes so it wouldn't focus on the politics / plotting so soon but there are some happenings in E6. I think I've watched too many sageuk on palace politics that I'm not that looking forward to it coz they are always the same thing just acted out by different people. On the books though (like I mentioned Moonlight), I really liked how the Prince outsmarted his enemies but it didn't happen like that in the drama. Think there's more freedom in creativities in books than Kdramas because of how sensitive the people are.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

29a99a78083c4466a6917f7440493172.jpeg?s=

“Lovers Of The Red Sky” Sets Personal Best In Viewership Ratings With Final Episode

Oct 27, 2021 by C. Hong

SBS’s “Lovers of the Red Sky” has gone out on a high note!

On October 26, “Lovers of the Red Sky” aired its final episode. According to Nielsen Korea, the finale recorded average nationwide viewership ratings of 10.4 percent. This is a 1.5 percent increase from last episode‘s ratings of 8.9 percent and slightly higher than the drama’s previous personal best ratings of 10.2 percent.

Source

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

That was a great summary of the finale there @Chocolate. I agree that the plot development is not the best and I don't blame @mademoiselle for having no motivation to watch it. 
I personally was invested enough to watch all the way even streaming live when time permits. The weakest part of this drama for me is the fantasy bits. It started out  really promising but just like many fantasy kdramas, the writer can't seem to decide the rules of the universe and breaks or changes them as the story goes along. 

As to JooHyang , it has already been predicted by HR that he would be the fallen star. I am certain that YM would win that battle

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

That was a great summary of the finale there @Chocolate. I agree that the plot development is not the best and I don't blame @mademoiselle for having no motivation to watch it. 

I personally was invested enough to watch all the way even streaming live when time permits. The weakest part of this drama for me is the fantasy bits. It started out  really promising but just like many fantasy kdramas, the writer can't seem to decide the rules of the universe and breaks or changes them as the story goes along.

😅 I just don't want to rant again about the show coz I was already "????" when I read the posts on my timeline. And true I wasn't invested in the show as well as the OTP. I think it is a good thing because I'd probably be even madder if I was.

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

As to JooHyang , it has already been predicted by HR that he would be the fallen star. I am certain that YM would win that battle

Interesting the show left the coup part as open ending/epilogue. I'm really wondering now if the show had to last minute change the script because of Joseon Exorcist's incident. The show was definitely affected if I remember correctly and didn't they push back the premiere date because of it? Because if they had followed the original plan, Joohyang (Prince Suyang/King Sejo) will be King later and according to his history, he did do this:

Suyang surrounded himself with trusted allies, including his famous adviser, Han Myung-hoi. Han advised Suyang to take over the government in a coup, and on 10 November (10th day of the 10th lunar month) 1453, he killed Kim Jongseo and his faction, thereby taking the reins of power into his own hands. After the coup, he arrested his own brother, Anpyeong (Yangmyeong in the drama), first sending him into exile, then sentencing him to death.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Insightful 2
  • Shocked 1

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Ahn Hyo Seop, Kim Yoo Jung, Gong Myung, And Kwak Si Yang Share Concluding Remarks And Gratitude For “Lovers Of The Red Sky”

Oct 28, 2021 by S. Cho

SBS’s “Lovers of the Red Sky” has come to an end, and the main cast looked back on the drama as they shared their closing remarks!

Based on the novel of the same name, “Lovers of the Red Sky” is a historical fantasy romance drama starring Kim Yoo Jung as the Joseon dynasty’s only female painter Hong Chun Gi, who was born blind but miraculously regains vision. Ahn Hyo Seop stars in the drama as blind astrologer Ha Ram, who is able to read the stars despite losing his sight, while Gong Myung stars as the romantic and free-spirited Prince Yangmyeong, a lover of the arts who falls for Hong Chun Gi. Kwak Si Yang plays Prince Juhyang, who strives for power.

For all eight weeks of its run, SBS’s “Lovers of the Red Sky” topped viewership ratings for Monday-Tuesday dramas and set a personal record with its finale.

Months before filming began, Kim Yoo Jung prepared for her role by practicing Korean painting, and her efforts were evident in her incredible portrayal of Hong Chun Gi. The star commented, “We filmed starting from the cold winter, through spring, and into the hot summer, and we finished in fall, which suits ‘Lovers of the Red Sky’ well. I think ‘Lovers of the Red Sky,’ with which I spent all four seasons, will always remain in my memory.”

She continued, “Like ink melts into paper, I hope our drama melts into your hearts and is remembered for a long time. I want to say thank you to everyone who was with me for this precious project and worked so hard: all the actors, the staff members, the teacher who helped me become the divine painter Hong Chun Gi, and the writers. I also want to sincerely thank the viewers who watched until the very end and gave us lots of love.”

Next up for Kim Yoo Jung is the romance film “20th Century Girl,” in which she will star alongside Byun Woo Seok, Park Jung Woo, and Noh Yoon Seo.

Kim-Yoo-Jung-15.jpgKim-Yoo-Jung-21.jpg

Through his Instagram account, Ahn Hyo Seop expressed his gratitude for the producers, actors, and viewers of “Lovers of the Red Sky.” Sharing photos from the set, he wrote, “Thank you so much for giving ‘Lovers of the Red Sky’ so much love and attention up until now. I want to share my gratitude for the director, writer, all the staff members, and my fellow actors, who all went through a lot.”

Ahn Hyo Seop added, “Thanks to them, the moments where I wanted to give up turned into opportunities for experience. It was not easy. However, that’s why it was even more meaningful. I will walk up another staircase step and greet you with a different image next time. Thank you again.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVhnHhOP9w8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Spoiler

Gong Myung shared his closing comments through his agency, saying, “‘Lovers of the Red Sky’ was a challenge that was an honor for me. I’ve watched director Jang Tae Yoo’s historical dramas since I was young, so it was such a huge honor to be able to work with him.”

The actor continued, “We all worked hard together to create this [drama] until the cold weather became hot. After completing all of our filming, I watched ‘Lovers of the Red Sky’ from the perspective of a viewer when it aired, and I had a lot of regrets.”

Regarding his character Prince Yangmyeong, Gong Myung described him as “a character who helped me feel the fun of acting.” He added, “Prince Yangmyeong looks bright and cheerful on the outside, but I felt that he was someone who was hiding his loneliness. As the story progressed, his worries became deeper, and there were more and more moments where he had to show his charisma as a prince. Portraying these aspects [of the character] was fun.”

Gong Myung picked his first meeting with Hong Chun Gi as his most memorable scene and commented, “It was my first filming with Kim Yoo Jung, and I was nervous because it’s an important scene where Prince Yangmyeong first develops feelings for Hong Chun Gi. However, we were able to complete the filming comfortably in a fun atmosphere.”

Lastly, he added, “As ‘Lovers of the Red Sky’ received so much love from viewers, I think it’ll be remembered for that much longer. As much as I feel sad and regretful every time a project ends, I will become an actor who develops more and will consistently greet you through good projects.”

Gong Myung is currently appearing as a cast member on Season 3 of tvN’s variety show “House on Wheels,” of which he commented, “People around me send many congratulatory messages saying that the response [from viewers] is positive. Please give me lots of love and look kindly upon me in the future as well.”

Kwak Si Yang also shared comments through his agency, remarking, “I am thankful to have gotten to work with Ahn Hyo Seop, Kim Yoo Jung, and Gong Myung on ‘Lovers of the Red Sky,’ as well as all the actors, staff, director, and writer. There was a bit of pressure because it was my first historical drama in a long time, but thanks to a lot of people helping me out and creating a comfortable atmosphere on set, I was able to film happily and enjoy the shoot.”

He concluded, “Although Prince Juhyang was a villain in the story, thank you so much to the viewers who gave him lots of love.”

Source

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hey look, this is the first teaser and Haram's style has changed...!

Haha, I don't think I would like that long fringe 😂

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1