Hong Cheon Gi / Red Sky 홍천기 [2021]

20 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

The tiger fairy said earlier that she was guardian of the area from the palace up to a certain border. Does that mean she cannot appear in the palace/town area and that's why Samshin put a spell in the painting to let her in to protect Ha Ram?

yes i remember that...she said as long as they are in the city, she cannot support protect them....however Samshin told her that without the town there will be no jungle

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Episode 7

• Found a loophole! All of a sudden, I realised how did Hong Eun Oh get into the venue when previously there were guards preventing Cheon Ki from entering?

• Can someone explain to me why Prince Juhyang says he'll only be even more angry because Yang Myung trying to beg mercy for Cheon Ki? Doesn't it show that he's even more of a jerk not being generous enough towards a sick man? :pandadisgusted:

• When Juhyang asked Haram what is he willing to sacrifice for Cheon Ki, my OS was "Pfffft. He's already sacrificed his eyes for her! Hmph."

• The three thugs who Haram let go will most definitely return to bite him in the behind! I bet the thugs will turn to Juhyang later.

• At first I thought Haram's eyes are beautiful but in recent episodes it's becoming scarier-looking, don't you guys think? It's like a cold-blooded animal's eyes instead e.g. snake.

• The king wants Cheon Ki working at the painting bureau by day and restore the old king's painting by night - the only thing my head could think about is: "Pay overtime! This is exploitation!"

• Isn't Cheongsimwon just 清心丸 (that big gold colour ball we always see in Kdramas)? Does it even work?

20191018135507-7b21c799-me.jpg

• Hmm, what did Samshin do to the tiger painting? Did she perhaps put a part of the Mountain Spirit there to watch over Haram/Ma Wang?

3b1c8ed3ad387b8aea1288b1e1605db3b89e4af0

source

• Boy I was cringing at the slo-mo of Yang Myung and Cheon Ki running in the rain, as well as his line "My heart aches." *goosebumps*

• How did a blind Haram even able to find Yang Myung and Cheon Ki in the rain? By their scents? Hahahaha... although I do remember the scents get stronger on a humid/rainy day (not sure where I got this from).

@Chocolate Hahahaha, how come you like this so much? It's neither action, gore nor thriller.

I'm still on the fence about this because the last time I got excited over a period drama, the storyline went downhill in the latter half. I liked the FL's character in there at first as like Cheon Ki, she was fun and bubbly but after falling in love with the Crown Prince, her character became quite useless - needing protection all the time and sulking/brooding/crying (whereas in the novel it wasn't like that). So I'm worried Cheon Ki might ended up like this later.

3 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Er no, it's not mentioned so we shall assume he is single. He is the third son so maybe there is no pressure for him to marry early.

HAHAHAHAHAHA they marry very young lar~ there is no way he could be single!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:
6 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Go watch! I can't describe it - not enough writing skills.

Haha, no SLS, but I do think this one is even better than HTCCC hehe.

Aish. Ottokae. I wanna know how to describe it (improve my own writing skills)! @abs-oluteM What about you? Do you know?

I thought what @Chocolate said about peeking is the closest to describing that action ? Peer ? aaahah I was trying hard to find some suitable synonyms.

Plot wise, while it is not completely fair on my part to compare this with HCCC ( Dali & Gamjatang would be a better comparison to HCCC) , I really do think this drama breaks ground in some ways. HCCC's writing is still quite old school.  For one the male lead - HaRam has physical limitations - being blind means it is impossible to "save" her conventionally. And in very cute ways, the tropey save the damsel scenes are carried out by the SL - Yangmyong . All the bickering etc which is normally reserved for the ML is also with YM. HR's a rather unconventional ML because he is sweet & gentle ( but has a deep desire for revenge). His interactions with her are limited but I love that they are meaningful each time.

YM's arc as the 2nd lead is also written quite uniquely - he was depicted as being rather frivolous and happy go lucky,. But the trust he has from the King and how he arranged the competition ( and the good advice he gave to CG) shows that he is capable. I liked how he dealt with Prince JooHyang. Romantically,  I don't feel anything for him but I appreciate the layers to his character.

In most dramas Prince JooHyang would be the 2nd lead / villain. But here I don't see him as a contender to CG's heart . At this point from what I have seen, it would seem like he is the ultimate villain given his ambitions for the throne, but we will have to see if he is the biggest enemy that HR will have to take on. 

4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM Do you like Red Sky or HTCCC

KSH didn't give me fan service did he? I prefer this show more in many ways even if AHS did not show me his abs. HTCCC's main draw for me is the Dimple pairing. 

• Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

5 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

KSH didn't give me fan service did he? I prefer this show more in many ways even if AHS did not show me his abs. HTCCC's main draw for me is the Dimple pairing. 

He did! He gave you a shower scene in the beginning!

===

Can you guys believe I'm not fully drawn to Haram's charm/Red Sky yet? I think I need that "FEEL" a little more. The peak of the emotions from his brooding/pain...

giphy.webp

maybe because we haven't reached there yet since it's not even half way through. xD

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

He did! He gave you a shower scene in the beginning!

Barely saw much la...ahahahah...actually I was already lucky he showed some. He usually doesn't.

I am extremely drawn to HR's character - maybe cause I like the more quiet MLs ( like Lee Joon Hyuk in A Poem A Day) . Maybe when HR cries beautifully , you might like him better. Quite hard for AHS here as he cannot show too much emotion using his eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

E9 preview

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Barely saw much la...ahahahah...actually I was already lucky he showed some. He usually doesn't.

I am extremely drawn to HR's character - maybe cause I like the more quiet MLs ( like Lee Joon Hyuk in A Poem A Day) . Maybe when HR cries beautifully , you might like him better. Quite hard for AHS here as he cannot show too much emotion using his eyes. 

If you watch his variety, you can see more.

Hmm, if you like quiet ML too then you've to watch YAMG then.

I'm seeing cuts of E8. SMH. I think I will wait till tomorrow to see the full picture before I complain 😅🤣

OST 4

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Replied you in the quote. So many points it's like work - so I reply you point by point 😂

Episode 7

• Found a loophole! All of a sudden, I realised how did Hong Eun Oh get into the venue when previously there were guards preventing Cheon Ki from entering?

[Choco: Was he inside the venue? I thought he was outside, where Cheon Gi was stopped the last time too.]

• Can someone explain to me why Prince Juhyang says he'll only be even more angry because Yang Myung trying to beg mercy for Cheon Ki? Doesn't it show that he's even more of a jerk not being generous enough towards a sick man? 

[Choco: Maybe because he is the most senior and his decision should not be overridden?]

• At first I thought Haram's eyes are beautiful but in recent episodes it's becoming scarier-looking, don't you guys think? It's like a cold-blooded animal's eyes instead e.g. snake.

[Choco: I think it is still very nice. I like the way they do the blindness - other shows I've watched usually make them close their eyes or wear dark sunglasses haha.]

• The king wants Cheon Ki working at the painting bureau by day and restore the old king's painting by night - the only thing my head could think about is: "Pay overtime! This is exploitation!"

[Choco: Me too! I was like, wah, you want her to work day and night with no rest???]

• Isn't Cheongsimwon just 清心丸 (that big gold colour ball we always see in Kdramas)? Does it even work?

[Choco: Those look like the 长身不老药 (immortal elixir) to me lol!]

• Hmm, what did Samshin do to the tiger painting? Did she perhaps put a part of the Mountain Spirit there to watch over Haram/Ma Wang?

[Choco: I think she did something to let the Tiger Spirit come into this domain. According to nitewalker, the Tiger cannot come into the city.]

• Boy I was cringing at the slo-mo of Yang Myung and Cheon Ki running in the rain, as well as his line "My heart aches." *goosebumps*

[Choco: Hahahahaha! Would you have cringed if it was Ha Ram?]

• How did a blind Haram even able to find Yang Myung and Cheon Ki in the rain? By their scents? Hahahaha... although I do remember the scents get stronger on a humid/rainy day (not sure where I got this from).

[Choco: Haha, that's something you just have to pretend not to notice. He's obviously got "super powers".]

@Chocolate Hahahaha, how come you like this so much? It's neither action, gore nor thriller.

To me, the premise of this drama is the demon story. The romance is a side thing. So it's considered a "thriller/suspense" of sorts. I feel the story is told well. The pacing is decent and there are not many boring bits. Though I am not usually taken by 20 year olds, the leads are quite charming. It's not going to be my favourite show but it makes me look forward to new episodes. That's good enough for entertainment.

I think when you don't know the actors or don't have any special liking for them, and yet you enjoy the show, that's a good sign. It means no one is carrying the show. The story is doing well enough on its own. And there's the contrast with HTCCC - without KSH and SMA, I wonder if it would be so popular.

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Can you guys believe I'm not fully drawn to Haram's charm/Red Sky yet? I think I need that "FEEL" a little more. The peak of the emotions from his brooding/pain...

I thought the scene before they kissed by the water had a lot of feels. Considering I am quite neutral to the romance, I teared... And yesterday's scene where Cheon Gi told Ha Ram that she would pretend he was not the boy she knew if that was what he wanted, was quite touching as well...

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Plot wise, while it is not completely fair on my part to compare this with HCCC ( Dali & Gamjatang would be a better comparison to HCCC) , I really do think this drama breaks ground in some ways. HCCC's writing is still quite old school.  For one the male lead - HaRam has physical limitations - being blind means it is impossible to "save" her conventionally. And in very cute ways, the tropey save the damsel scenes are carried out by the SL - Yangmyong . All the bickering etc which is normally reserved for the ML is also with YM. HR's a rather unconventional ML because he is sweet & gentle ( but has a deep desire for revenge). His interactions with her are limited but I love that they are meaningful each time.

YM's arc as the 2nd lead is also written quite uniquely - he was depicted as being rather frivolous and happy go lucky,. But the trust he has from the King and how he arranged the competition ( and the good advise he gave to CG) shows that he is capable. I liked how he dealt with Prince JooHyang. Romantically,  I don't feel anything for him but I appreciate the layers to his character.

Well said 😍

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Chocolate

Spoiler

[Choco: Was he inside the venue? I thought he was outside, where Cheon Gi was stopped the last time too.]

They were still in the contest venue. Haram was just being escourted off the stage.

• Can someone explain to me why Prince Juhyang says he'll only be even more angry because Yang Myung trying to beg mercy for Cheon Ki? Doesn't it show that he's even more of a jerk not being generous enough towards a sick man? 

[Choco: Maybe because he is the most senior and his decision should not be overridden?]

[Choco: I think it is still very nice. I like the way they do the blindness - other shows I've watched usually make them close their eyes or wear dark sunglasses haha.]

It would look weird to wear sunglasses in that era. The premise doesn't call for it too.

[Choco: Hahahahaha! Would you have cringed if it was Ha Ram?]

I most likely will too.

27 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

To me, the premise of this drama is the demon story. The romance is a side thing. So it's considered a "thriller/suspense" of sorts. I feel the story is told well. The pacing is decent and there are not many boring bits. Though I am not usually taken by 20 year olds, the leads are quite charming. It's not going to be my favourite show but it makes me look forward to new episodes. That's good enough for entertainment.

I think when you don't know the actors or don't have any special liking for them, and yet you enjoy the show, that's a good sign. It means no one is carrying the show. The story is doing well enough on its own. And there's the contrast with HTCCC - without KSH and SMA, I wonder if it would be so popular.

I think the magic of this show at the moment is—albeit I'm not obsessed or very hooked yet—it isn't boring. The story hasn't moved much either but at least I wasn't bored or find myself distracted. However, I do think it needs to get a move on now that Cheon Ki joins the painting bureau.

I suspect love/romance isn't going to be a side thing for this demon sealing story. Often we find shows focus on fighting evil off with love/union so I think this show is going for the same type of theme.

31 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I thought the scene before they kissed by the water had a lot of feels. Considering I am quite neutral to the romance, I teared... And yesterday's scene where Cheon Gi told Ha Ram that she would pretend he was not the boy she knew if that was what he wanted, was quite touching as well.

I have a bit of feels here and there just NOT a lot. You'll probably know it when I do because I'll be spazzing a lot more xD As a male lead, I also think there aren't very many Haram's scenes (yet).

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Just started the 1st few minutes and I already felt my heart hurt. I confess I love this romance a lot. Maybe because it gives me this  feeling of yearning and longing. So close but yet you can't touch it. So desperate but you can't have it. And HaRam's reasons are legitimate. For someone on the path of revenge , he cannot possibly endanger her. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Eps 8 was excellent in many ways . The plot had good development , the romance and the unavoidable triangle have begun in earnest and Prince JooHyang finally gets to confirm his suspicion about the demon within HaRam.

As expected HongGi ( and her two other buddies) got accepted to serve at the GohWaWon as a royal painter. But of course both Expert Han and Prince YM had ulterior motives for doing so since she would work in GohWaWon in the day and be asked to paint the previous King's portrait at night as there's urgency now to get the demon sealed. Present King is sick , perhaps dying and is in a great hurry to abdicate the throne for the Crown Prince. The King is keen to ensure a smooth succession to prevent a power struggle among his sons. Also the King  believes that the problems befalling the land have to do with the fact that the 1st born princes did not inherit the throne both in his and his father's reign. So this is why he is so keen not to repeat that mistake.

Prior to CG coming into the GWW, there was an interesting war of nerves between YangMyung and HaRam. Both questioned each other's sincerity towards CG and that pretty marks the kick off to this love triangle. While it is clear that CG's heart has always lied with HR, HR would definitely be at a disadvantage here. YM being the prince has plenty of authority and can orchestrate opportunities to to spend time with CG  - which he did. Since no one knows the exact features of the previous King ( which CG had to draw) , YM cleverly volunteered to explain it to her and uses this as an excuse to accompany her each night as she works on the King's portrait. As fate would have it (through SamShin's great engineering )  , CG's day time assignment was to reproduce old maps for the Astronomy department ( Expert Han felt her being there would not raise suspicion to other things he needed her to do. ) This provided opportunities for her to meet HR since he would be the one that she needed to work with. 

There were some short but sweet moments which I love...

FAbgEFAVQAc3gsz?format=jpg&name=large

FAbgS9iVkAYeCuo?format=jpg&name=large

But she barely had time to settle in  - Prince JooHyang's side started using blackmagic and this awoke the demon within HR. Unfortunately both YM and CG witnessed it . Now , what will happen? Seems like YM will ban HR from stopping to see her in the preview and that Joo Hyang wants to work with HR's alter identity to take over the throne. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Episode 8

I laughed a little internally when it was revealed Cheon Ki will spend her day with Ha Ram and the night with Yang Myung. LOL. Is it right for me to think the day is longer than the night since after all, Cheon Ki needs to sleep! Hmph. How could they make her work day and night. If it is that urgent, just focus on the royal potrait instead (yes yes, I know they don't want others to be suspicious but still!). It didn't even seem like she was fed dinner!

I got my feels back a little when Juhyang cut Ha Ram's neck and Ha Ram looks pissed. :pandalove: SO HOT there, angry Ha Ram! Hahaha!

It was nice Ha Ram and Cheon Ki spent more time together. Although I still want to diss the writing a bit on the part Ha Ram find her in the rain, admitted he's the boy and explained what happened only to tell her to pretend she doesn't know him again. If that's what he wants (which he doesn't) then don't tell her anything at all. How to pretend not knowing him after telling her all that. This boy - keeps going back & forth of his words and /slap himself. LOL.

The ending - I like the cliffhanger, I do because it's about time the fantasy bit comes back. I miss it. I'm guessing the Mountain Spirit might help suppress Ma Wang. How did she follow them there? Ha Ram can't even touch the tiger painting at his house.

Lastly, whoever is behind Cheon Ki's paintings, I love it. These paintings I can appreciate way better than the ones I'm seeing in Dali & Gamjatang or the modern arts.

• Clapping Hands 2
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Lastly, whoever is behind Cheon Ki's paintings, I love it. These paintings I can appreciate way better than the ones I'm seeing in Dali & Gamjatang or the modern arts.

They had a really good artist come in to do this. I read on Naver ( and posted it on page 9) . The artist is called Ahn Guk Ju 

https://newsis.com/view/?id=NISX20210916_0001586488&cID=10601&pID=10600

According to this twitter handle , HR here is written differently compared to the book. So from what I understand , HR did not have a revenge agenda in the book unlike here in the drama. The revenge plan is the thing that stops HR from having CG in his life. So they had to make Yang Myung very outstanding here ( though personally I find he and CG's interactions comical rather than sweet) so that he can be a catalyst for HaRam to give in to his true feelings for CG.

• Clapping Hands 2

Aahhh. Finally caught up with this show!

It might be tropey and at this point, I feel like some viewers are tired of seeing it, but the childhood flashbacks that are weaved with the interactions of the main leads work for me. The way they slowly peel the layers have so much weight. They aren't simply connected by knowing each other in the past, they are also bound by a greater force. Cheon-gi is also only borrowing Ha-ram's eyes. They've yet to realise this and how it came to be. Since Cheon-gi was originally blind (?), I guess they will never be able to see each other at the same time? 

I really liked her explanation for her paintings during the contest. Art is very subjective and I have to admit the paintings were just "okay" for me, but combined with the explanation, they do make sense. I mean, they're great and look amazing, but of course they needed to make it sound like they're transcendent in the show. All the fine words about the brushstrokes and control and composition all that jazz and you're forced to raise your expectations. I actually didn't like the one by straw hat with the water that he didn't need to paint. It just looked.... incomplete. 🤣 I did like the butterflies flying on the flowers though. If I saw that happening in real life, I'd probably declare that the winner already. This is probably why it's easier to convince viewers when it's a show about food/cooking. 

I find it funny that Grand Prince Juhyang doesn't really dress like a prince, but definitely dresses like a villain. All his dark-themed clothing make him look more like an assassin instead of someone who is royalty.

On 9/29/2021 at 4:15 AM, mademoiselle said:

I laughed a little internally when it was revealed Cheon Ki will spend her day with Ha Ram and the night with Yang Myung.

😆😆 Thank you! I failed to make this connection. So funny. Prince Yangmyeong also pretty sly. Also, it must be pretty controversial having to spend hours with lady alone, at night, in secret. I'm surprised CheonGi didn't push back at all with this scenario. 😅

On 9/28/2021 at 2:51 AM, mademoiselle said:

Isn't Cheongsimwon just 清心丸 (that big gold colour ball we always see in Kdramas)? Does it even work?

I only imagine it as some sort of chocolate ball, like some sort of truffle but with a golden outer layer. 😅 I think it does have some bite to it, so maybe chocolate covered nuts instead of just a soft center? If Cheongsimwon is anything close to that, it probably works... but not for the symptoms they promote it helps with... maybe just making you feel a bit better inside.... Honestly though, I have no idea what it is aside from it being an old school "pill".

traditional-french-dark-chocolate-truffles-recipe-1375137-hero-01-a7dfb06d912346ee9b5849aeba8b22e9.jpg

On 9/28/2021 at 10:44 PM, abs-oluteM said:

YM being the prince has plenty of authority and can orchestrate opportunities to to spend time with CG  - which he did. Since no one knows the exact features of the previous King ( which CG had to draw) , YM cleverly volunteered to explain it to her and uses this as an excuse to accompany her each night as she works on the King's portrait

I'm amazed by this. I wish my memory was as good as his. He is able to recall a painting he only saw once in his childhood. The guy that portrays YM is also the second lead in Drinking Solo (which I haven't finished btw). I like his character here much more. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Glad tou caught up @Warm Paws 

🌸🌸🌸 

Episode 7 was well done. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886ee75dfc09d54c8800b

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886e2aabd66535911522d

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886eaa80b6a9ddd4501ea

she is beautiful 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886e2aabd66535911522d

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

22 hours ago, Warm Paws said:

I only imagine it as some sort of chocolate ball, like some sort of truffle but with a golden outer layer. 😅 I think it does have some bite to it, so maybe chocolate covered nuts instead of just a soft center? If Cheongsimwon is anything close to that, it probably works... but not for the symptoms they promote it helps with... maybe just making you feel a bit better inside.... Honestly though, I have no idea what it is aside from it being an old school "pill".

Hahahahaha! My imagination (or more so memory) of Cheongsimwon is smaller and just black. But how come you imagined it to be chocolate covered nuts? It'd be a dessert, not a medicine xD although theoretically chocolates to some people are healing too for the stress, LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 10/1/2021 at 12:23 PM, Warm Paws said:

I'm amazed by this. I wish my memory was as good as his. He is able to recall a painting he only saw once in his childhood. The guy that portrays YM is also the second lead in Drinking Solo (which I haven't finished btw). I like his character here much more. 

LOL...I too am amazed...but I think he is just using this as an excuse to spend time with her. 

Gong Myung has been 2nd lead for a few shows I have seen him but so far I don't have SLS in any of them even though his characters are always quite nice. For me I think I liked him best in Be Melodramatic where he had his own love line.

-------------------

From the still that @mademoiselle  posted it looks like Haram had no recollection again of what happened...

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20211002/109522016/1

Haram and Yang Myung are having a conversation with serious expressions.  Yangmyeong is sending a wary look to Haram, and Haram is surprised at what Yangmyeong is saying. In the preview video for the 9th episode, there is a picture of Yang Myung warning Haram, “I hope you don’t meet Hong Hwa-gong (Hong Cheon-gi) for a while.” The night when the Demon King was about to appear, what happened between Haram and Hongcheongi, and why Yangmyung Daegun came out so hard, amplifies the curiosity.

Haram doesn't seem to remember what happened last night. In the last 3 episodes, on the night of the winter solstice when the demon king fully appeared, there was an incident where the demon king killed the golden soldiers at Inwangsan. At that time, Haram also lost his memory. In the preview video for the 9th episode, Yang was depicted questioning "Is Hajubu (Haram) also related to the Inwangsan Geummilitian corpse incident?"

Above all, it is expected that Haram will question what happened to him through the conversation with Yangmyeong. Haram's shocked expression arouses curiosity as to what he had heard from  Yang Myung. Also, the relationship between Haram and Yang Myung seems to getting tensed, and the confrontation between the two men also adds tension to the play. The conversation between Haram and Yang Myung can be seen in the 9th episode of the SBS Monday-Tuesday drama 'Hongcheongi', which will be broadcast at 10 pm on October 4th.

• Like 3

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

4 Gifts The Boys Of “Lovers Of The Red Sky” Offer Kim Yoo Jung In Episodes 7-8

Oct 3, 2021 by shalini

After a preemptive week, “Lovers of the Red Sky” is back and serving up a hefty dose of romance with a dash of palace intrigue. Prince Juhyang (Kwak Si Yang, who really needs a lead role) is on the warpath, determined to take the throne for his own and punish all who stand in his way be they Hong Chun Gi (Kim Yoo Jung) or his own brother Prince Yangmyung (Gong Myung). We pick up where we left off with Chun Gi falling prostrate before Juhyang who seeks to punish her for her father’s mistake. But when Ha Ram (Ahn Hyo Seop) and Yangmyung both step in to rescue her, they realize the other’s depth of feelings for Chun Gi. And thus begins a battle of affections.

Here are some of the presents the boys offer Chun Gi this week.

Warning: spoilers for episodes 7-8 below.

1. 300 seoks of rice and a bit of blood

Spoiler

lovers-of-the-red-sky-11.png

Ha Ram isn’t fooling anyone when he offers Juhyang the 300 seoks of rice in exchange for sparing Chun Gi. Both Yangmyung and Juhyang gape at the staid scholar uncharacteristically getting involved in a matter between princes. Only Juhyang’s suspicion of Ha Ram harboring Ma Wang allows Ha Ram to go unscathed. Chun Gi sees it only as a transaction for the price of her life, but it is so much more.

Ha Ram willingly puts himself in Juhyang’s debt to rescue Chun Gi. The result is that he now owes Juhyang a favor, which the prince wastes no time in collecting. Called to a meeting with Juhyang, Ha Ram finds a blade to his neck. Juhyang is able to procure from Ha Ram’s blood in the process, which allows Mi Su (Chae Gook Hee) to not only determine that Ma Wang resides in Ha Ram but also awaken Ma Wang, resulting in this week’s cliffhanger.

All in all, a hefty price to pay to save the girl he loves!

2. A whole box of cheongsimwon

Spoiler
ba3b846a53b59a78b25f899ac0a35b8590e57bee

665d71c7c626b2bb85fcfdbd557b34e55c18113b

Not to be outdone by Ha Ram, Prince Yangmyung strikes at one of Chun Gi’s core traits: her love for her father. Offering to take care of her father such that Chun Gi can enter the Painting Bureau, he gives her not just one cheongsimwon but a whole box. Whether the medicine will truly ease her father’s pain remains to be seen. However, the fact that he encourages her to pursue her dreams (because it means she’ll be at the palace and near him) and voluntarily takes care of her father (so she can pursue her dreams and be near him) is commendable. Yangmyung’s motives aren’t entirely pure-hearted, but whose are when in love? He endearingly still thinks he’s the main character, but there’s something about his earnestness that would make him a great friend to Chun Gi. Because she really isn’t interested in more.

3. An umbrella and a heart-to-heart

Spoiler

lovers-of-the-red-sky-3.png

Samshin (Moon Sook) gets involved again, ensuring that Chun Gi’s path takes not to Prince Yangmyung’s home but to Ha Ram’s. There’s a question of just how much of the young lovers’ actions are their own as there’s so much godly influence here. It’s a topic the show addresses when Chun Gi wonders if human fates are set in stone, and Ha Ram comments that it’ll take much effort to change it. While these remarks are undoubtedly meant to prepare us for the angst to come, they do place some of the characters’ actions in question when fate seems to dictate everything.

25e15ad491cc307dee83272868828cf3b337631b

ahn-hyo-seop-kim-yoo-jung6.gif

surii

Mistakenly entering Ha Ram’s home, Chun Gi promises to protect Ha Ram and pretend not to know him if he really wishes for it. Moved, Ha Ram tears up as she leaves and realizes that it’s pouring outside. Good old Prince Yangmyung wonders where Chun Gi is, and upon finding her, decides that a piggyback, not shelter, is exactly what she needs. It’s an amusing moment because a piggyback ride would be romantic during any moment but right then. Plodding through the rain on a man’s back isn’t the most exciting thing in the world, as the poor girl just wants an umbrella.

Which is, of course, when Ha Ram appears with one.

gong-myung-kim-yoo-jung-ahn-hyo-seop1.gi

5fe260e13f082f00f82653240ee26f273da40382

He curtly tells our baffled prince that Chun Gi had an appointment with him first. The umbrella versus the piggyback ride is a great illustration of the differences between the two men and the fact that it isn’t that Prince Yangmyung is a bad person (as of episode 8 at least) but that he simply isn’t the right fit. He’s a piggyback in the rain, and Ha Ram’s an umbrella.

That Ha Ram follows up the umbrella business with a genuine heart-to-heart with Chun Gi, explaining why he can’t be with her (for the most part, minus the political intrigue bit), which is the icing on top.

ahn-hyo-seop-kim-yoo-jung.gif

ahn-hyo-seop-kim-yoo-jung21.gif

4. Supervisors 1 and 2

Spoiler

The Palace features front and center in the boys’ next battle. Chun Gi’s a member of the Painting Bureau, but the real purpose behind her being brought to the palace is to restore King Seonjo’s portrait. To avoid gossip, Chun Gi’s day job is to restore maps at Seomungwan, the palace astronomy department. Her night job is to restore the portrait via chusa, where King Seonjo will be described to her, such that she can draw him. (How is this poor girl getting any sleep?)

ahn-hyo-seop-kim-yoo-jung31.gif

ahn-hyo-seop-kim-yoo-jung41.gif

surii

Chun Gi is assigned a supervisor for her day job and someone who’ll describe King Seonjo’s features for her night job. Naturally, these are the boys. Ha Ram watches over her during the day, and Yangmyung makes eyes at her at night. But it’s telling that Chun Gi’s reaction to Ha Ram watching her is very different from that to Yangmyung’s overseeing. She’s comfortable with Ha Ram supervising her but visibly awkward around Prince Yangmyung. With both men competing out in the open, let’s hope that Prince Yangmyung takes a hint soon. She’s not even the slightest bit interested in him, and while his escapades are hilarious, they could easily turn grating if he keeps it up for too long.

Bonus: Chun Gi gifting Yangmyung a painting

The men aren’t the only ones bending over backwards for Chun Gi. She pours herself into a painting in repayment to Prince Yangmyung for his kindenss in taking care of her father. It’s adorable.

Next week teases the aftermath of Ha Ram’s transformation as Yangmyung and Chun Gi start to discover that they’re in a fantasy and not just a sageuk romance. Ha Ram has some understanding of what’s happening but still doesn’t know who Ma Wang even is.

Chun Gi’s father recovers enough lucidity to warn her not to restore the painting as Juhyang begins his attack. With a calmer couple episodes this week, it looks like the coming episodes will be quite tense!

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1