Happiness 해피니스 [2021]

14 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I wouldn't have minded one more epilogue episode where we get to see more of everyone's fates post-time jump.

Hahaha I don't mind it either, have you guys noticed in previous page I cheekily put in Episode 13? :P

On 12/12/2021 at 2:56 PM, mademoiselle said:

Happiness Couple's Progress:

Episode 1 - Marriage proposal

Episode 2 - Moving in + sleep together in same room

Episode 3 - Glad to see you hug

Episode 4 - Hand holding

Episode 5 - Comfort/thank you hug

Episode 6 - Giving her his jacket (anything else?)

Episode 7 - Feed each other + hand holding

Episode 8 - Rooftop confession + stare + near kiss

Episode 9 - Treating wound/care/feeling forehead + hand holding

Episdeo 10 - Taking care/worries of Yi Hyun?

Episode 11 - Hug + confession by both

Episode 12 - Kiss + Backhug + Hand-holding

Episode 13 - Happily Ever After :lol:

I think when it was the last week and especially on the last episode, I started to feel the "I don't it to end so quick yet" especially at the moment there weren't many dramas I'm watching I am really invested in.

14 hours ago, stroppyse said:

W2 was really, really good. I'm surprised you didn't like the start, because I felt that was the strongest part as it built the 2 parallel worlds. The ending of that drama was unfortunately disappointing. The writer did such a good job of building the worlds and the characters including creating a scary, unnerving villain, but then didn't seem to know how to actually end the drama. However, I thought that Lee Jong Suk and Han Hyo Joo had loads of chemistry together.

Butting in for a sec... I find this is Song Jae Jung's weak point. She's always really good in the beginning and then like you said, "doesn't know how to end the drama well". And I wonder whether there were other reasons such as a matter of what she wants versus what the higher-ups/PD want versus time constraints/budget.

I'm not sure @Chocolate will be able to get to the end of this coz W2 is even fluffier (in her own words) than Happiness.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
22 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

And I wonder whether there were other reasons such as a matter of what she wants versus what the higher-ups/PD want versus time constraints/budget.

Maybe, but the plotting didn't feel satisfactory after she had put so much care setting up the 2 worlds.

Actually, Song Jae Jung also didn't write a very good ending arc for 'Memories of the Alhambra', so I personally think that writing endings are her weak point after setting up some fantastic starts.

I'll write my thoughts when I've checked out episode 8 again. I actually don't remember the scene with Andrew so may have missed the interchange.

• Like 4
On 12/17/2021 at 3:13 PM, mademoiselle said:

I'm not sure @Chocolate will be able to get to the end of this coz W2 is even fluffier (in her own words) than Happiness.

I'm just past the mid-point of W and got cold sweat - the 2nd part of the webtoon will be drawn by Han Hyo Joo and she wants "sweet romance" 😨 Think I am going to just ffw all the fluffy parts 🤣.

• Haha 2
On 12/18/2021 at 4:26 PM, stroppyse said:

Maybe, but the plotting didn't feel satisfactory after she had put so much care setting up the 2 worlds.

Actually, Song Jae Jung also didn't write a very good ending arc for 'Memories of the Alhambra', so I personally think that writing endings are her weak point after setting up some fantastic starts.

I'll write my thoughts when I've checked out episode 8 again. I actually don't remember the scene with Andrew so may have missed the interchange.

Yeah, for W and Memories of the Alhambra she left many unanswered questions. For me, W's world building is more complicated and would really love she could clarify some stuff. For Memories of the Alhambra, I could come up with most of the answers myself which is not too bad.

That said, I still like Song Jae Jung's world building in fantasies. She's good at captivating people in the beginning so I'd still willingly pick up another fantasy drama she writes in future, fully knowing she might not be able to give me a satisfactory ending. I also like the male lead characters (Kang Chul and Yoo Jin Woo) she created. So charming :pandalove:

14 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I'm just past the mid-point of W and got cold sweat - the 2nd part of the webtoon will be drawn by Han Hyo Joo and she wants "sweet romance" 😨 Think I am going to just ffw all the fluffy parts 🤣.

:PikachuFacePalm: What are we going to do with this lady, @stroppyse?

• Haha 3
23 hours ago, Chocolate said:

There are some romantic scenes, including some intense kisses, but the "sweet romance" keeps getting interrupted by the villain as well as their parallel worlds. You probably won't ffw as much as you might think. :heart:

8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

What are we going to do with this lady,

@Chocolatejust knows what she likes! :smile:

8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

That said, I still like Song Jae Jung's world building in fantasies. She's good at captivating people in the beginning so I'd still willingly pick up another fantasy drama she writes in future, fully knowing she might not be able to give me a satisfactory ending. I also like the male lead characters (Kang Chul and Yoo Jin Woo) she created. So charming

Good points! She does create imaginative worlds, even if I could wish that she's able to resolve her set ups better. And, she definitely creates charming male leads, though perhaps it's helped that they're played by charming men life Lee Jong Seok and Hyun Bin?

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
On 12/14/2021 at 2:39 AM, mademoiselle said:

By the way @stroppyse you said you're going to rewatch, please let me know what you think it means in episode 8 where the camera zoomed in on Andrew smiling (?) after Oh Joo Hyung gave his opinion about the cleaning couple wanting to move up to the level? It's around 3:43 onwards. It seems significant the camera gave him a close-up focus there but I can't figure out why he's reacting to what OJH said.

I think it's that Andrew is checking everyone out and biding his time. There are other scenes where it focuses on Andrew, e.g. when the cleaning couple are yelling at the other cleaning lady to stop cleaning the building and start cleaning their apartment since they've giving her expensive bread and water to eat. As they yell at her, the camera focus goes to Andrew's back who is clearly listening but not reacting in any way. Anyway, given the role that Andrew ultimately plays in the drama, I think it's a bit of foreshadowing that rather than a mentally challenged person that the government work program placed, Andrew is actually constantly watching and assessing all of them.

Btw, the rewatch is good, however, the repulsive apartment denizens seem even more repulsive on rewatch.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

The shipping for this couple is still going strong , partly fuelled by the leads' interactions

Hahaha Hyung Sik does that. There were also some cute exchange after Strong Woman Do Bong Soon too between Park Bo Young and Hyung Sik when they sent each other food truck. It also excited the shippers (and me).

15 hours ago, stroppyse said:

@Chocolate just knows what she likes!

@Chocolate is contradictory coz she loves CLOY and that drama is super duper fluffy and 1000x fluffier than W. :niu:

• Haha 3
On 12/20/2021 at 11:11 PM, mademoiselle said:

@Chocolate is contradictory coz she loves CLOY and that drama is super duper fluffy and 1000x fluffier than W.

Can't deny that! CLoY was a super fluffy rom-com with a weird ending. Probably the power of Hyun Bin? He's the only reason I watched it. :wow:

22 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

You'll see them more fondly after this clip

Yes, but those are the actors! It's the characters that I find more revolting during the rewatch. I'm sure the actors themselves are lovely people. :GrowDerp:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Can't deny that! CLoY was a super fluffy rom-com with a weird ending. Probably the power of Hyun Bin? He's the only reason I watched it.

Hyun Bin's power not strong enough for me in CLOY. Think the hair plays a big part :laugh: I was more interested of the side-characters (the boys) than the OTP or his character. I was still in love with Hyun Bin's Yoo Jin Woo, and I still prefer him as Yoo Jin Woo. Nicer hair too :pandasad:

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Yes, but those are the actors! It's the characters that I find more revolting during the rewatch. I'm sure the actors themselves are lovely people.

The characters are played by these good actors! They were very frustrating but it also makes me appreciate just how good they were in their performances. Makes me appreciated them a lil' more and possibly find them less annoying :lol: Are you already done with all 12 episodes or still re-watching?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I was still in love with Hyun Bin's Yoo Jin Woo, and I still prefer him as Yoo Jin Woo. Nicer hair too

Yes! Yoo Jin Woo was fantastic. Though, I also rather liked him as Im Cheol Ryung in the movie 'Confidential Assignment'.

5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

The characters are played by these good actors! They were very frustrating but it also makes me appreciate just how good they were in their performances. Makes me appreciated them a lil' more and possibly find them less annoying :lol: Are you already done with all 12 episodes or still re-watching?

True. I think the actors did their jobs really well, but within the context of the drama, the characters are totally revolting.

Done with the rewatch already. Wasn't really watching anything else right now other than 'Let Me Be Your Knight' which is only 1 episode a week.

• Like 2

@stroppyse I've been wondering about what the names mean of our leads? I read somewhere that SaeBom's Bom means spring but what does Sae mean?

Same with Yi Hyun.

Also, in the last scene, Hyun says that she told him there are many options then she chose SOU and SB says she didn't know.

What does that mean exactly? I guessed that he was disappointed she chose SOU but I am not sure my guess is correct because he seems proud of her. 

• Like 3
On 12/20/2021 at 5:42 PM, abs-oluteM said:

The shipping for this couple is still going strong , partly fuelled by the leads' interactions

I get the shipping but I personally think they are just good friends. PHS seems like a very supportive guy who hypes up all his friends and costars and HHJ seems similar too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, YourHighness said:

@stroppyse I've been wondering about what the names mean of our leads? I read somewhere that SaeBom's Bom means spring but what does Sae mean?

Same with Yi Hyun.

Sae Bom can translate into "New Spring" as in when the Spring season starts. After a long Winter, when the Spring comes kind of thing, and so I think she's supposed to represent hope.

Yi Hyun's name probably means "This Reality" as in this is reality, and he seems to be the pragmatic one who deals with things as they happen.

54 minutes ago, YourHighness said:

Also, in the last scene, Hyun says that she told him there are many options then she chose SOU and SB says she didn't know.

What does that mean exactly? I guessed that he was disappointed she chose SOU but I am not sure my guess is correct because he seems proud of her. 

After his dream of playing pro baseball was blown, YH was going to just go to America with his mother who was immigrating there. However, he was inspired by SB's words that there are a lot of things that can happen in life, so why not just do something and then deal with the consequences. It caused him to act on his emotions rather than doing what was safe and expected of him. In this case, the implication is that YH stayed in Korea to be near SB, and that he became a cop because SB had decided to be a cop. However, SB then chose to go to the SOU which is an entirely different section so YH wasn't able to be a cop with SB after all. That's why he was "disappointed" because he had become a cop to be near SB, but then she ended up doing something which was pretty much in a different field and facilities, even though they were both technically members of the police force. However, YH is clearly proud of SB being a member of an elite squad.

SB said she didn't know that YH had become a cop to be with her when she chose to go to the SOU, with the implication that if she had known that YH had been seriously interested in her since their high school days and been so faithful to her, that perhaps she might have stayed in the regular police force and become a detective like YH. She was clearly not being serious, however, just being a bit flirty back since she had just heard YH confess that he has seriously liked her and only her since their high school days.

Btw, YH wouldn't have qualified for the SOU because of his bum knee, the same one which put an end to his dreams of playing pro baseball.

Hope this makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

OMG I can't with these two...:love::wow:

Hyo Joo mentioned Happiness commentary coming soon...? For DVD? Hyung Sik has clearly lost weight now... unless it's the slimming face app. Haha

18 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Though, I also rather liked him as Im Cheol Ryung in the movie 'Confidential Assignment'.

Oh yes, I do like HB in Confidential Assignment.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Sae Bom can translate into "New Spring" as in when the Spring season starts. After a long Winter, when the Spring comes kind of thing, and so I think she's supposed to represent hope.

Yi Hyun's name probably means "This Reality" as in this is reality, and he seems to be the pragmatic one who deals with things as they happen.

After his dream of playing pro baseball was blown, YH was going to just go to America with his mother who was immigrating there. However, he was inspired by SB's words that there are a lot of things that can happen in life, so why not just do something and then deal with the consequences. It caused him to act on his emotions rather than doing what was safe and expected of him. In this case, the implication is that YH stayed in Korea to be near SB, and that he became a cop because SB had decided to be a cop. However, SB then chose to go to the SOU which is an entirely different section so YH wasn't able to be a cop with SB after all. That's why he was "disappointed" because he had become a cop to be near SB, but then she ended up doing something which was pretty much in a different field and facilities, even though they were both technically members of the police force. However, YH is clearly proud of SB being a member of an elite squad.

SB said she didn't know that YH had become a cop to be with her when she chose to go to the SOU, with the implication that if she had known that YH had been seriously interested in her since their high school days and been so faithful to her, that perhaps she might have stayed in the regular police force and become a detective like YH. She was clearly not being serious, however, just being a bit flirty back since she had just heard YH confess that he has seriously liked her and only her since their high school days.

Btw, YH wouldn't have qualified for the SOU because of his bum knee, the same one which put an end to his dreams of playing pro baseball.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks @stroppyse everything you said, made perfect sense. I guessed that Hyun probably couldn't follow SaeBom to SOU due to his knees, but was not sure, since I don't know how SK's terrorism and cop departments work.

@mademoiselle Thanks for the pics. These two look so good together. I definitely want to see them in another show..maybe S2? LOL. Clowning myself but story is ripe for S2, imagine if the military tries to use the virus to create super soldiers and it backfires. But honestly would prefer to see PHS and HHJ in a romcom or something so their chemistry is not underutilized. 

PHS does look like he lost weight. I am kinda sad. I'd gotten used to his full cheeked face and buff body. It made him look very mature and handsome instead of just a slim pretty face. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Lynne said:

I haven't move on yet.... this couple is soo great! not just because of the romance, but you can definitely see they're both each other's comrade,,, there's trust that's stronger than romance between them... love them so much.

Me too. I am watching Our Beloved Summer and loving it but it's difficult to move on from SaeHyun couple. They are serious goals and the best part for me is no cringey aegyo and misunderstandings to break them up.

I find myself watching their scenes here and there everyday or at least alternate days. Also wondering about what happened after Hyun got shot and SaeBom thought she lost him. Did JiSoo find SB panicked and crying or did SB realize that Hyun is just unconscious and she took charge to get him into surgery. I bet SB insisted on getting treated in the same OR where Hyun got his surgery. After that SaeBom must have stayed with Hyun in his dorm room to keep him grounded. Did HTS try to use Hyun as a test subject due to his self control? Did Hyun too get 6 months off like SB? Why weren't they married even after a year? What were they waiting for? Did they buy a bigger bed for their room and sell/put the single beds in other rooms? Their house has 3 rooms, washroom and a living room with an open kitchen. One they chose as their bedroom, 2nd they decided to use as an exercise room but with gym open to all, they probably won't buy equipment's for it. Why didn't the Ahjushi and Hyun use those room to sleep instead of sleeping in the living room? 

I have so many questions. :lol:

• Haha 1

I have a few question. Can someone who understands SK real estate explain why the apartment owners who bought the houses acted like the leasers were mooching off of them? Also many people talked about renters using their tax money to rent there. And also about renting the apartment for 10 years and then buying it? Does it make a difference if you rent a house for 10 years and then buy it? 

• 5 weeks later...