Tale of the Secret Royal Inspector and Jo Yi | 어사조이뎐 [2021]

2PM’s Taecyeon And Kim Hye Yoon Take Matters Into Their Own Hands In “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy”

Nov 9, 2021 by L. Kim

tvN’s “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy” has shared a sneak peek of the second episode!

The drama stars 2PM’s Taecyeon as Ra Yi Eon, a young gourmand who is appointed a secret royal inspector against his will. Kim Hye Yoon co-stars as Kim Jo Yi, a divorced woman searching for happiness who ends up joining forces with him as he travels undercover to local provinces to uncover corruption.

Spoilers

The first episode of “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy” received favorable viewership ratings with its unique plot and extraordinary characters. It shared a glimpse of the two very different characters: Ra Yi Eon and Kim Jo Yi. Viewers were also intrigued by the subtle changes of the lazy Ra Yi Eon as he smelled something suspicious about Bo Ri’s (Chae Won Bin‘s) sudden death.

Newly released stills depict Ra Yi Eon’s and Kim Jo Yi’s determination to find out the truth about what happened to Bo Ri. First off, Ra Yi Eon’s eyes are filled with conviction to reveal Bo Ri’s situation to the world. Kim Jo Yi is also spotted visiting the town’s chief Jang Ki Wan (played by Song Jong Ho) in the middle of the night.

secret-royal-inspector-and-joy-11.jpg

Ra Yi Eon also makes an appearance as a secret royal inspector to the government office of Gaehwagol. The villagers lie flat on the ground as he boldly makes his way to the front. He exudes dignity and seriousness, signaling his resolve to set things straight. Kim Jo Yi sees Ra Yi Eon charging his way towards her, and it will be intriguing to find out if he will help her or make things worse.

secret-royal-inspector-and-joy-2.jpg

The drama’s producers teased, “In the second episode, Ra Yi Eon and Kim Jo Yi will officially begin to get entangled with each other. Their unexpected and thrilling reunion will mark an interesting turning point in their relationship.”

The second episode of “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy” will air on November 9 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

Source

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

@abs-oluteM are you going to pick this one up too? Wow, I'll be watching 3 sageuks at the same time if I pick this one up too :nervous::laugh:

I just did. It was fun and I quite enjoyed it because it isn't melo romance unlike TKA and The Red Sleeve.  This is a record year for me since it looks like I have watched and will be watching all the sageuks - fantasy and historical. 

Taec's character Yi Eon was pretty likeable . He can cook ( brownie points) , loves reading - so cute to see all the "super hero" drawings he had in his rooms , and is good to his servants.  Though he was painted to be someone who just couldn't care less, he was bothered by the murder cases. He isn't lazy but he was just trying to distance himself from the politics.  It seems like he's never really wanted to be in civil service but he was forced to by his grandmother. He and his two servants provide the comedy. Interestingly, Lee Joon Hyuk's cameo was in his dreams (it was quite a scary dream)  & from the little that was hinted, LJH was the crown prince who had passed away. But I think Yi Eon was close to him and became indifferent after his passing (?) 

JoYi like most girls of her time, was forced to marry early and she clearly had an awful MIL and husband. In the 1st episode she was fighting hard for a divorce on the grounds that her husband was a gambler. She needed a witness and her childhood friend, Bo Ri  who owned the tavern agreed to help her testify that she saw the husband gambling. But on the day of the hearing BoRi was found dead. BoRi was the kept woman of the magistrate in charge of JoYi's case and Bo Ri was pregnant with his child. But this magistrate has a lot to hide - think he is corrupted and had asked Bo Ri to hide an important ledger that he would use to black mail someone. 

Along with BoRi's death , another dead body was found by the sea. This happened to be a secret inspector. And it looks like with how every thing seemed so fishy and suspicious, Yi Eon decided to investigate. 

Overall the tone is campy , plot moves fast and we get straight to the crime bits from the get go. 

• Insightful 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Looks like I am the only one who may be watching this? LOL

Anyway I continued because it is such a fun drama that doesn't stress me out emotionally. There are plenty of laughs and though its rather comical, there's decent logic to the way the case(s) are being investigated and solved. The tone on this show reminds me a bit of shows like The Fiery Priest ( though not as extreme). Somewhat wacky - and needs that sort of viewing lens for you to enjoy it. 

One of the things I like most about the show is JoYi. She's a spunky girl. And I feel sorry for her ( for women of their time) since her life was not hers to choose. So it was commendable that she persisted in every way possible to set herself free from her awful MIL & useless husband - something to which even Yi Eon noted. Girls of those days don't have much of a choice - marry or be someone's concubine. And even better to be the concubine to some well-off man - something that Jo Yi said when she found out that Bori was having the Magistrate's baby. Hence it does take a lot of courage for Jo Yi to walk away from her marriage - something that was rarely done in those days.

I also came round to liking Yi Eon a lot.  He felt like a man that was rather progressive for those times. His love for cooking , his relationship with his servants , his inability to look away when he could sense injustice . Just some of the things that helped me warm up to his character. And I liked that he immediately saw her desperation,  rewrote her appeal and at the end ensured she got her divorce because he could tell her grounds for divorce was justified. I do think they will make a good team when they start investigating things together.

I love this trio too...they crack me up:

• Haha 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I've watched 15 min of episode 1 - this is soooooo not my cup of tea! 😭

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Watch: 2PM’s Taecyeon, Kim Hye Yoon, And More Never Have A Dull Moment On The Set Of “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy”

Nov 12, 2021 by S. Cho

“Secret Royal Inspector & Joy” has released a behind-the-scenes clip for episodes one and two!

tvN’s “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy” is a historical comedy drama starring 2PM’s Taecyeon as Ra Yi Eon, a young gourmand who is appointed a secret royal inspector against his will. Kim Hye Yoon co-stars as Kim Jo Yi, a divorced woman searching for happiness who ends up joining forces with him as he travels undercover to local provinces to uncover corruption.

At the start of the clip, Taecyeon is excitedly preparing to make dumplings. He pretends to ask his servant Goo Pal (Park Gang Sub) for ingredients but Park Gang Sub casually responds, “They’re right there.” Taecyeon pretends to scold him and tries again, only for Park Gang Sub to look the other way, making Taecyeon sadly comment, “Now he’s ignoring me.”

They begin filming and Taecyeon starts chopping green onions when Park Gang Sub bursts into laughter at how nonchalantly Taecyeon swiped the onion ends off the cutting board. When asked if he cooks regularly, Taecyeon answers, “I enjoy it,” showing off his knife skills in later takes.

Although they agree to film seriously, Taecyeon suggests another funny idea and the director replies, “That’s allowed.” The director then jokingly adds, “What’s the standard, you ask? It’s my choice.”

Later, Kim Hye Yoon is rehearsing her lines with Nam Mi Jung when the latter comments, “Since you have the jigae [A traditional Korean A-frame carrier], it’s so pretty. You don’t look pitiful, you look valiant.” Kim Hye Yoon brightly responds, “Right! It gives me more strength.”

Taecyeon and his two servants Park Gang Sub and Min Jin Woong show off their tight friendship while filming together at night as they joke around and poke fun at each other. Taecyeon and Min Jin Woong start worrying over Park Gang Sub as Taecyeon looks over at the camera then comments, “Goo Pal, you can’t get hurt. We’re definitely not saying this because they’re filming the making-of.” Min Jin Woong pretends to just notice the camera and Park Gang Sub comments, “Don’t be fooled!”

The three continue the fun as they start filming with Kim Hye Yoon. She rehearses the scene where she smacks them all on the head as Min Jin Woong jokingly remarks, “Should I be this scared?”

In the next scene, Kim Hye Yoon must run into the water as she discovers the death of Bo Ri (Chae Won Bin). After filming the emotional scene, Chae Won Bin comments, “Even though I was dead, I almost cried,” making a teary-eyed Kim Hye Yoon laugh.

The final scene features Kim Hye Yoon’s long-awaited divorce from No Chu Han (Joo Jin Soo). They immerse so well into their roles that even during rehearsals, they hilariously bicker as they forget to break out of character. As Kim Hye Yoon takes the final document from Taecyeon, the director asks, “Did you take it with one hand?” She nods with a frown and adorably responds, “How dare I.”

Watch the full clip below!

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 2

I watched first episode up to Taecyeon packing up and leaving to wherever he was sent to and then....

.... cut to waking up god knows how many minutes later Taecyeon is somehow in his servant's clothes & asking for food from the Tavern and followed Kim Hye Yoon and witnessed the Tarvern owner found dead in the river...

:pandascared:

Now I'm unsure whether I'd continue with episode 2.

:laugh:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 2

2PM’s Taecyeon And Crown Prince Lee Joon Hyuk Share A Special Friendship In “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy”

Nov 14, 2021 by U. Kim

Secret Royal Inspector & Joy” has released stills that show Taecyeon’s and Lee Joon Hyuk’s characters’ past.

The tvN drama stars 2PM’s Taecyeon as Ra Yi Eon, a young gourmand who is appointed a secret royal inspector against his will. Kim Hye Yoon co-stars as Kim Jo Yi, a divorced woman searching for happiness who ends up joining forces with Ra Yi Eon as he travels undercover to local provinces to uncover corruption.

Following its premiere on November 8, the drama gained positive reviews for its tasteful depiction of romance amidst comical scenes as well as dynamic developments in the storyline.

Spoilers

In the premiere episodes, Ra Yi Eon proved his true worth as a secret royal inspector, and Jo Yi finally gained freedom from marriage. Moreover, the deceased crown prince (Lee Joon Hyuk) appeared in Ra Yi Eon’s dream, making viewers increasingly curious about the mystery surrounding his death. Goo Pal (Park Gang Sub) telling Ra Yi Eon, “You used to be so devoted to the national affairs when the crown prince was alive,” left viewers with a small clue about what happened to Ra Yi Eon before he became a lazy official.

New stills revealed today show Ra Yi Eon and the crown prince’s past. Ra Yi Yeon has an audience with the crown prince with sparkling eyes of reverence, and the warm gaze returned by the crown prince indicates their close relationship.

taecyeon2.jpeglee-joon-hyuk.jpeg

The event that separated the two best friends who built their deep friendship through serious sword duels remains shrouded in mystery.

taecyeon-2.jpeglee-joon-hyuk-2.jpeg

In episode 3, the absorbing story of Ra Yi Eon and Kim Jo Yi working together to solve the crisis of Gaehwa Valley will unfold, and Ra Yi Eon’s hidden past will also be unveiled. The drama’s producers shared, “The story of Yi Eon and the crown prince’s past will be the axis that acts as a milestone for the events that will follow.” They also revealed, “Something unexpected will happen to Yi Eon and Jo Yi. Please look forward to the investigation that will officially begin.”

Episode 3 of “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy” will air on November 15 at 10:30 p.m. KST. Episode 4 will air 10 minutes earlier than usual on November 16 at 10:20 p.m. KST.

Source

• Clapping Hands 1
Just now, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM I'm more interested in Lee Joo Hyuk's handsomeness in Crown Prince hanbok than anything else. Sigh. I don't think both leads' acting are strong too.

Yes, I am waiting to see what LJH has to do here...some sort of extended cameo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2PM’s Taecyeon And Kim Hye Yoon Take On Their First Case In “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy”

Nov 15, 2021 by M. Kang

Secret Royal Inspector & Joy” has released stills that foreshadow Taecyeon and Kim Hye Yoon’s heart-fluttering love story!

The tvN drama stars 2PM’s Taecyeon as Ra Yi Eon, a young gourmand who is appointed a secret royal inspector against his will. Kim Hye Yoon co-stars as Kim Jo Yi, a divorced woman searching for happiness who ends up joining forces with Ra Yi Eon as he travels undercover to local provinces to uncover corruption.

Spoilers

The suspenseful investigation has comedic touches that highlight the unique personalities of each character. While Ra Yi Eon starts to get into his role of being a proper royal inspector, Kim Jo Yi starts to revel in her chance for freedom. The two started off on the wrong foot, but their dynamic is set to change for the better, and this is just the beginning.

In the revealed photos, the two chase after someone in a crowded street. Viewers will find out exactly who it is that the two have their eyes set upon.

taecyeon-kim-hye-yoon1.jpgtaecyeon-kim-hye-yoon.jpgtaecyeon-kim-hye-yoon2.jpeg

When an arrow flies at them, Ra Yi Eon is quick to block it with a book. He immediately looks after Kim Jo Yi to make sure she’s okay, and the two share an intimate moment in the midst of the chaos, looking deeply into one another’s eyes. This scene marks the beginning of how they start to trust and help each other.

In the coming episode, the town becomes a muddled mess with the appearance of an unwelcome guest. Ra Yi Eon and Kim Jo Yi must join forces to get the situation under control.

The production team commented, “Unpredictable events are lined up in the path of Ra Yi Eon and Kim Jo Yi. Please look forward to their first attempt at working together. It will be especially entertaining, with the refreshing humor and heart-fluttering moments.”

Episode 3 of “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy” will air on November 15 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
8 hours ago, ssteph said:

I haven't try episode 1 yet. Not sure I will like it, it's sageuk comedy (I dropped Mr. Queen before). I'll lurk here to see updates/comments from Choco & AbsM 😁

ahahaha...but my taste can be quite strange. I am quite tolerant of wacky stuff that a lot folks don't like

Anyhow, I am excited because oppa will have a longer cameo 

They were close  LJH was like his mentor too

• Haha 2