May It Please The Court 변론을 시작하겠습니다 [2022]

abs-oluteM

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

- From Lee Dong Pil's flashback, there were 4 men sitting around eating and smoking. These are the 4 men who have died, including Chairman Jang.

Was Chairman Jang there? I thought these 4 men are the 3 dead ones and the Police Chief. 

- Chak Hee also mentioned that the Chef's dumplings tastes just like her grandmother's. There must be a connection here too. What is it? Is her grandmother and Chef related?

I had forgotten about this! Yeah... how are they related...??

- Why was the Chef cooking at Chairman Jang's house? Does Chairman Jang not recognise him as a man they tried to drown years ago?

This is why I thought Chairman Jang wasn’t one of the 4 men. 

- Chak Hee saw something in the bathroom when she was drunk and at Si Baek's house. What did she see?

Wasn’t that a dream? That she saw SB dunking Chairman Jang? Or are you taking about another scene? 

1. How is Si Baek involved in this? (Did he plot together? It would seem so because he was playing chess with Chairman Jang when he was drugged and later killed. Or is that just editing? He knows of the plot but cannot stop it?)

As for this one. I think he was also drugged from the food, so by the time he regain consciousness, it was already too late. Which explains why he could describe the crime scene well because he saw it first hand, and it also explains his drained/blank expression when he met CH on his way home. He might have tried to prevent the killing by lingering around around, but failed to do so. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

51 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Was Chairman Jang there? I thought these 4 men are the 3 dead ones and the Police Chief. 

Are there 3 dead men? Did I miss one? 😅 I thought there were 2 dead men + police chief + Chairman Jang.

51 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Wasn’t that a dream? That she saw SB dunking Chairman Jang? Or are you taking about another scene? 

There was another scene before the dream. She remembered waking up in the middle of the night, hearing noises, walking towards the bathroom... and that's it.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

@abs-oluteM Thanks for the preview.

Eun Hee Soon met Jang Gi Do while in University.

Eun Jeong Woo sentenced to 10 years in prison for violating national security act and died in prison after being tortured. (Who is EJW? Shi Baek's father, Eun Hee Soon's 1st husband?)

Eun Hee Joon (Jwa Shi Baek) became an orphan - so he is the son.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

I am not surprised that SB has decided to cover up for his brother or BIL or whatever. Not important. What's important is that he asked CH specifically to defend him knowing her close relationship with the Chairman. I know she's emotional at this moment, but being a lawyer I hope she'll snap out of that grief for a bit and realise something isn't right about the confession. She's sharper than this , I hope. So far I do love CH's development in this show - she started off materialistic &  arrogant   , but you can see her changing as the episodes progress. 

For me SB's confession wasn't just to cover up for Chef etc. It was really to throw a spanner in JGD's works. I do feel bad that CH will be "betrayed"  in some way, but I think if SB doesn't do this she'll never see how bad the Jangs are. Also in my own twisted logic , the fact that she was so affected must mean that SB means something to her. If he was just some random colleague , she won't be going through "hell" emotionally right ? ( Yes, still hoping that the romantic ship can sail. LOL!)

Spoiler

Ffzfio7aAAAQYuQ?format=jpg&name=large

I don't think it's surprising either that Chef and Mr Han are the ones involved in the murders. They were already dropping hints along the way. What did surprise me was that Mr Han isn't a good guy. He's Lee Dong Pil , a corrupt cop in those days that was infamous for using  water-torture on those he caught. So I thought it very clever of Chef to make use of him (and his amnesia) to go kill all the baddies. It's karma both ways! 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I am of the view that Si-baek turning himself in is not just about covering for Dumpling Chef and foiling Jang Gi-do's election aspirations. I think he's also trying to protect Chak-hee. Notice how he refuses to explain his motive. All he's said is how he achieved the murders but not why. This is what the female cop is trying to get her head around. What would induce him to do something like that?

We know that Si-baek is really a softie at heart which is why despite his academic achievements he chose to be a thankless public defender. He might be delaying the inevitable or cushioning the impact of the fall for Chak-hee once she finds out what the Jangs are really like. He's seen how close she is to the old man and how fond the latter was of her. 

This is why this show makes much more sense than Blind. It never pretends who did it is the mystery at the heart of this. The real mystery is why there's so much anger and resentment against Jang Byung-chun and his gang that someone is going around killing these guys. Apart from torturing people and killing people, what else did they get up to?

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Ending is acceptable for me, considering the style and mood of the drama... but I want to see moreeeeeee...... :cry:

Those people are just abhorrent... even until the end, when faced with death, they didn't feel any bit of guilt for their wrongdoings and refused to apologise. Still, the price paid by Shin Chi Sik is too dear. Not worth it. 

I still don't understand something though. Maybe I missed it somewhere in the drama... Why did they do what they did? Someone ordered them to torture those people? 

Fabulous acting by JRW. Her swiping the tears away from her face so quickly just gets to me. Love love love the main leads interactions. Their conversation about getting married and what kind of wedding to have is just so funny. Sigh... Can we please get a season 2?

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

The ending was good for me too. I loved that their banter continued to the end with the types of weddings they'll have. @SilverMoonTea should be happy that her titanic ship did not hit an iceberg. I will remain positive and assumed they really got married at the end especially since neither denied being each other's fiancée. :heart:

To the end, these people felt no remorse -- true narcissist behavior. I think 10 years seemed too little for all the crimes he committed. He should have received more than that. 

Random -- Hulu kept translating what the evil grandpa and son called the others as "vermin". Did everyone get the same translation too? I've never seen that word be used to describe anything before so I was a little surprised by it. Haha! 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2
2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Their conversation about getting married and what kind of wedding to have is just so funny. Sigh... Can we please get a season 2?

54 minutes ago, Tofu said:

I loved that their banter continued to the end with the types of weddings they'll have. @SilverMoonTea should be happy that her titanic ship did not hit an iceberg. I will remain positive and assumed they really got married at the end especially since neither denied being each other's fiancée.

They dried and eat Mr Octopus... I guess wedding under the sea is no no.. maybe traditional wedding with a pair of ducks in the vast field with traditional jars of old sauce will be their choice... Sky diving for honeymoon :laugh:

I do feel satisfied enough with how they wrapped the serial murder case. Although about how CS paid his own crime with instigating the murderer itself with his life is too much. He's guilty if course as the mastermind, but I kind of understand his reasons. He went through the torture himself, being treated as trash and called names by the people who were in position and thought what they did was justice. He lost his wife after she got assaulted. His mind and heart already got blinded by revenge and pain. And only after 30 years. Sigh he was living a hard life too. I won't say he's not guilty and deserve a punishment, but kind of understand his motives and I guess by taking his own life while revealed to the world about KD crimes, at least in the end he did something good to punish one of the perpetrator.. 

Our man SB or should we say now HJ is actually a good one. He grew up quite well despite the hardships and guilt he experienced during his childhood.. He blame himself for leading his father to death, but actually he's not at fault. What could a mere first grader know who was and was not his father friend? Despite all the pain in his life he still grow up as a good person and help others as lawyer. I'm hoping that in the scenes that we are not shown, after the long long trial maybe later on HJ and CH did end up together.. His mother 'the granny'will keep asking about his marriage, won't you granny? :MewGiggle:

Casts are fabulous in bringing the characters alive. Writer is good and especially the camera directors brought their magic alive. The editing is a top one that sure. It's not like I watched many crime or law drama, but this one the transition is quite smooth. The faded name store finally revealed to us the viewers at the same time with CH realising the missing puzzle one by one. 

Can we have a romance for JRW and LKH reunion project please? :BulbaOWO:

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Why did they do what they did? Someone ordered them to torture those people? 

The torture by the supposed police officers you mean? I think during those era torture by the police, false admission while being torture so that they can throw people to jail and show that the higher ups did something was just a small part in the real facts that happened in SK. I think many dramas and films have touched those dark times, and it was used as the base background for this drama. For what crime we weren't privy to it, but well during those times, it's not a good one. 

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

Random -- Hulu kept translating what the evil grandpa and son called the others as "vermin". Did everyone get the same translation too? I've never seen that word be used to describe anything before so I was a little surprised by it. Haha! 

I don't know the exact translation for the word too. My dark site sources gave the translation as vermin too. Maybe we have the same source? What I do know is that the literal translation of the word is insects. Although what kind or species of the insect is not clear. Moth is probably one of the species that comes to my mind when they refer those words in the sentence meaning (although Korean word for moth is different, as far as I know). But to give some impact for non korean speakers in that context of speaking and they way they evil duo father and son with no remorse, vermin will give more impact and powerful, won't it? :smile:

I stand corrected tough because my knowledge in both languages (English and Korean) is not good enough. 

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

Eps 11 was heartbreaking especially for CH who finally found out how terrible the Jangs are or were. And it must feel so bad because she had hero worshipped the grandfather and was a willing running dog for them. Perhaps SB's silence was his way of protecting her heart. Anyway even if he told her the truth,  she may not have been able to take it and she may not have believed him.

My favorite bit though was CH's tough as nails response. Instead of getting angry or mad, she's decided to get even. She was also being practical - after all the statute of limitations have expired. I am not sure what she's planning but I like what she told JGD here.

FgE3FZRakAAe3oM?format=jpg&name=large

And oh ...though I wasn't much of a fan of that detective at first, but over the episodes she was the only one who could sense something wasn't right with SB's confession. She's a lot smarter or experienced then the 1st impression that I got about her.

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Boy, did I get it wrong. I romanticised Jang Gido as some lovelorn boy, but he actually "molested" (raped?) Heesoo and she committed suicide as a result. And he was so proud he "had" her 🤢

When Chakhee removed the photo from the frame and unfolded it... woah, that was my reaction. Such a lowkey scene and we knew they were "married" and yet it was so impactful to me. I think Chisik dying is expected and better for him - he was suffering and revenge was the only thing holding him back. The flashback to when Heesoo & Chisik took the photo was so sad. He was deliriously happy that she liked him and had a silly smile on his face 😭

I think this drama developed and ended very well. Everything was revealed at a good pace in the last 2 episodes. They did not make things mysterious and twisted just for the sake of it. It was a straightforward storyline with quality writing and direction. There was also enough in the ending to make people wanting Chakhee/Shibaek together happy, and enough loose ends for a second season too.

(Haran offered Jangsan to Chakhee if Gido went to jail - I wonder if CH would accept.)

• Clapping Hands 3

I was heartbroken  for SB and his brother. So it looks like SB only found out the brother's involvement after he saw what happened to Chairman Jang. If he had found out any earlier and had kept quiet , it would be paramount to abetting in murder. The Jang father and son ( and their gang of friends) wrecked so many people's lives including Jang's daughter who was forever living in guilt , that whatever happened to them is their karma. Jang GD, unfortunately was still delusional even after he was caught. 

Overall , I really liked this show and loved the chemistry between LKH and JRW.  I have nothing to complain about the plot and pacing. It's a shame that not more people are watching this. Of course , I did hope for a bit more romance but given everything that has happened, I take this teasing as an open ending of sorts ...

FgFm0pOaMAA2EmI?format=jpg&name=large

and the fact that CH is now going to help SB's with his father's retrial allows for S2 to happen. This show gives me the same sort of vibe as  Good Detective 2 - the leads would be fantastic if they work on cases together as public defenders. 

• Like 2
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

42 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I'll have to catch up on this tomorrow (I mean, today)...

Is it a good ending? Did the ship sail or sink? Or open ending for the ship?

Good ending ...the ship didn't sink...

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Good ending ...the ship didn't sink...

The ship didn't sail either...

11 hours ago, Tofu said:

It depends on how you would like to interpret it. I would like to believe that they are engaged and getting married. :pandahappyspoon:

What different drama are you watching... ahem. LOL! Were they married by Mr. Octopus under the sea? :laugh:

===

Ok, it's really an open ending and up for interpretation for Chak Hee and Si Baek / Hee Jun's ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ep 3

I have to admit that I didnt expect the main leads to have such a good chemistry.

I assume SB and Mr. Cho know each other from before.   :thinking:

Mr.Cho was more surprised then scared when he saw SB.

The whole accidental hug scene on the rooftop was lovely..  

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
14 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@rocher22 Ooo are you binge watching this? It's a great drama & yes the leads have great chemistry. Their banter is the best. 

this is a really good drama...  I also like that its only 12 episodes.. 

the police station scene (ep 3)

CH - ''  What..You are fine''

SB - '' Im sorry to disappoint you''.. the humor is refreshing..

ep 4

The killer is calculated and calm. I guess its some kind of revenge.

I wonder how the owner of the restaurant and his employee fit into the whole story.

Im sure the owner knew CH's Grandma.

The ending scene... hmm...first the watch and now the scene..everything indicates 

that SB might be the killer...  

• Clapping Hands 2